X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
    Yeah, no chance I'm going to read that

Wonder how long before us 40-44 year olds have to wait - sure I'll be 45 in 2.5 months, let me in now HSE! Very likely will be homeless for most of August, so half thinking that two weeks with the family in England would be fun, ferry over and back. Surely that will be allowed by then, yeah?
    Thought for a second there you were thinking of living on the streets to get the Janssen jab
    Person...Woman...Man......Camera..TV

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I think they're going to give you a choice (everyone under 49). You could say 'whatever', but sure if you have a choice its probably best to have a choice. Obv the only two feasible are J&J (one shot and done) or Pfizer (one shot now, second about four weeks later).
      What have you got against the Moderna one?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

So you think Pfizer is optimal then based on what you said earlier?
        I think so. It seems to be the one that stands up best to any type of variant, and there's no real 'cost' to waiting a few extra weeks for the second jab as its not like you can ship to Lanzarote in the meantime, and even the first jab gives excellent protection. I think they're both great, just that pfizer is greatererererer
        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Can't even read it.

I muted their Dad on twitter because I just couldn't handle it. Poor guy. Desperately sad.
          ugh even the first line of that article.

dice getting revenge for a morning spent in ikea the little fucker

Comment

Now that vaccination is becoming a reality, and we seem to have a choice - its waaaaay better to choose Pfizer, no? There's ample time for the second shot before holidays rear their heads, and it seems to give far better protection. I get the upfront benefit of the J&J, but surely we want the maximum protection as it seems like Pfizer will be more robust to variants.
            What are you basing this on? I haven't seen data that suggest Pfizer offers far better protection than J&J (assuming you understand the meaningfulness of the different time and places they conducted their trials in).

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

stupid hipster vaccine, it's even got a hipster name ffs
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

What are you basing this on? I haven't seen data that suggest Pfizer offers far better protection than J&J (assuming you understand the meaningfulness of the different time and places they conducted their trials in).
                Well its not based on a deep-dive, but NY Times vaccine tracker has Pfizer efficacy at 92% vs J&J 72%, in both cases those numbers are based on US trials and in both cases testing was carried out approximately between August and November last year.

Now you obviously know something I don't know as this seems like the type of question where you ask something first and then follow it up with an aha moment. What am I missing?

I'm also thinking - and this is maybe slightly magical thinking - that booster shots are far easier to develop under Pfizer mRNA than traditional vaccine shots. But would you then benefit from having the Pfizer base set of vaccines if the boosters are most likely to also be Pfizer? Like maybe it would all be more likely to play well together. I fully recognise that this part of my thinking on the matter may have flaws, so will largely rely on the trial efficacy data unless you are about to correct that (and indeed correct the New York Times).

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

doesn't seem to be enough of them to be worth thinking of. Its just the same as the Pfizer one, no? So can be grouped together.

Comment

Yikes! That true Mellor ?
                    Yeah. Could well be a non-runner from the start. Looks like its a concrete lower structure with a lightweight steel upper level. So really real chance the steel is only sized to support a roof and not a level on top. The concrete probably have a bit more reserve strength, so the options possibly exists to demolish the current level and rebuild two levels that can support themselves.
                    Even if the structure was the capacity. The roof likely holds the plant for the entire building, so that would all need to be reconfigured.

I wouldn't really have my finger on the costs of that kind of work in Dublin. If I had to pull a figure out of the air, I'd say over €3,000 per m2. It's probably 1800-2000m per level. So looking at €15m per level, so 1 is probably not possible. So really €30m for the two level rebuild option.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

If you can find me a woman that is capable of sticking to that Id happily marry her on the spot.

In for a couch - "Oooh look bath salts, oooh scented candles, i think ineed a new pillow (30 min job it seems), those plants look nice for my office, would this unit fit in the en-suite, i like that LED lighted mirror - lets investigate the whole range (calls salesguy over) etc etc
                      Ah, you seem to have missed the key points in my post.

At no point did I make reference to this being anything other a solo mission.
                      If you bring anyone else with you, you will fail.
                      It's also quite likely you will suffer irreversible psychic and indeed physical harm.

The items you require must be clearly specified before you leave the house.
                      There must be zero ambiguity as to what you are getting.
                      You are getting these things and these things only.
                      Do not bring your phone, this way you cannot be contacted when your wife decides to change her mind as she invariably will.
                      Ideally get her to sign a legally-binding contract as to the goods desired.

Lash around the M50.
                      Know exactly what you are getting.
                      Know where to get it and how to get there in the shortest possible time.
                      Kill anything that gets in your way.
                      Get it, pay and GTFO.

You will be back home inside an hour with your mission completed.
                      Pour yourself a large drink.

Make sure someone else gets the job of putting the fucker together.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Yeah. Could well be a non-runner from the start. Looks like its a concrete lower structure with a lightweight steel upper level. So really real chance the steel is only sized to support a roof and not a level on top. The concrete probably have a bit more reserve strength, so the options possibly exists to demolish the current level and rebuild two levels that can support themselves.
                        Even if the structure was the capacity. The roof likely holds the plant for the entire building, so that would all need to be reconfigured.

I wouldn't really have my finger on the costs of that kind of work in Dublin. If I had to pull a figure out of the air, I'd say over €3,000 per m2. It's probably 1800-2000m per level. So looking at €15m per level, so 1 is probably not possible. So really €30m for the two level rebuild option.
                        Thats really useful. Thank you! It seems I might need to change our fundraising plans from 'build a floor!!' to 'reinforce our steel reserve strength!!'.

Comment

I'm the putter together of things in work, heavy lifting, slightly heavy lifting, attic climbing into for storage, official cleaner of ice cream machine, window washing, computer problem fixer, understander of archaic ordering systems plus everything else that everyone does

Co workers: "Oh were doing up a rota for jax cleaning, Thurs good for you"
                          Me: "No problem once we establish the rota for (see above)"
                          "Eh..hmmm.. sure maybe we can handle it between ourselves"
                          Me: "If you think that's best"

Comment

Thought i might be able to read the article with the mother but stopped when she attempted murder the first time via poisoning. Ever since having kids a few years ago i've found it incredibly difficult to stomach that stuff. Pretty common.

Just read another article from today of a stranger walking tup to two toddlers in a garden down the road from me and burning one of their faces with a mini (chef's i take it) blowtorch.

He received 3 years with 16 months suspended. I've no idea what the correct sentence is but Jesus knowing he'll be out next year is tough for the family and area.
                            A lot of grim news floating around at the moment.

Comment

ice cream machine, huh

that's taking the piss now

Comment

I read the article. The tragedy is not something I have the words for but I cant understand why they need to print the details of it. It just empties you . Maybe I just hope somebody somewhere in similar position is reading it and runs as far away from their kids as possible. We need to look people in the eye. We need to be educated what to look out for , what questions to ask. The patient doctor relationship cant be the only process . There has to be flags and pointers to watch out for these people. No way in hell would my missus be left to look after the kids if she was mentally ill. Not judging here.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                  ice cream machine, huh

Watched a little YouTube video on why the McDonalds ice cream machine is broken so often.

https://mcbroken.com/
                                  Apparently it's big business to the crowd that have a monopoly on supply and service of the machines.

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Thats really useful. Thank you! It seems I might need to change our fundraising plans from 'build a floor!!' to 'reinforce our steel reserve strength!!'.
                                    Sorry, just noticed a typo in my costs.
                                    1800-2000m2 @ €3000 is not €15m it’s €6m. Not sure what I did there.

Had a look around there for any more info. Found the original architects page. Confirms that lower levels are concrete and the top lightweight steel as I thought. And the reason why it’s like that will interest you...

The lightweight top level, was itself an extension back in 2007. It’s more obvious in the far side photos.

http://www.raymcginley.ie/projects/e...ss_school.html

Comment

ice cream machine, huh

Yep living the dream

I must say I quite enjoy the product testing part of the job!

Comment

Italy entry not bad but very White Strips esque.

Irish Entry.....

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Watched a little YouTube video on why the McDonalds ice cream machine is broken so often.

https://mcbroken.com/
                                          Apparently it's big business to the crowd that have a monopoly on supply and service of the machines.

Way to much time on your hands!

Currently watching border collie pups doing funny stuff

Comment

Mortgage insurance offer came back - had to be sent to reinsurers ffs. They quoted a 350% risk premium. What would normally be €125 a month will cost €700 a month. Thats not the mortgage, that's just the freaking insurance. Not sure there's much to do except suck it up for a year and then renegotiate (hopefully). I think being two years out from an operation, so a years time, should lead to a big drop. Plus having an active mortgage. But jaysus. Was not expecting that.

Comment

Mortgage insurance offer came back - had to be sent to reinsurers ffs. They quoted a 350% risk premium. What would normally be €125 a month will cost €700 a month. Thats not the mortgage, that's just the freaking insurance. Not sure there's much to do except suck it up for a year and then renegotiate (hopefully). I think being two years out from an operation, so a years time, should lead to a big drop. Plus having an active mortgage. But jaysus. Was not expecting that.

Think we pay 30 quid a month, that's horrendous, (even accounting for the fact that you are stitched together with superglue and a staple gun ). Get a bunch of quotes.

Comment

Fuck that, Hitch.

Keep renting or head for the continent again. That is mental.

Comment

Well that's the rate after going to reinsurers. I'm wondering if it's because I haven't yet gone past the 12 month point post operation.

Comment

Did you have to go to a doctor as part of the process or just give your medical history?

Comment

Well that's the rate after going to reinsurers. I'm wondering if it's because I haven't yet gone past the 12 month point post operation.
                                                      Maybe they have uncovered your posting history and assumed you are a very unstable genius

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                        Did you have to go to a doctor as part of the process or just give your medical history?
                                                        They talked to the cardiologist and he noted there was something else in the heart also that was a risk factor. I think that then helped increase the weighting. Although they've massively over-reacted as the cardiologist was telling me everything is going so well that he was thinking of pushing out the checkups to every two years.

Comment

Yikes, that sucks

Comment

Oh, just remembered. I also had to describe myself as a smoker, as only quit on June 30th last year, and you only count as a non-smoker after 12 months. So that must have caused the risk weighting to skyrocket.

Think I'll go ahead with the mortgage application and then ask the broker to reapply for insurance from July 1st, at which point there's no operation in the last 12 months and I'm a non-smoker. Should be good for a decent enough drop, hopefully. gulp.

Comment

I'm not in the least bit surprised. I have a friend with auto-immune hepatitis. She spent a year doing the rounds of insurers and brokers for life cover and mortgage. Not one of them would cover her. They eventually settle on just the husband having cover but she will never be able to get anything. My missus had to go for a special medical for mortgage cover because she's from Brazil and not 5 years in Ireland at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

If you can find me a woman that is capable of sticking to that Id happily marry her on the spot.

In for a couch - "Oooh look bath salts, oooh scented candles, i think ineed a new pillow (30 min job it seems), those plants look nice for my office, would this unit fit in the en-suite, i like that LED lighted mirror - lets investigate the whole range (calls salesguy over) etc etc
                                                                Mrs Lao Lao has a very unique way of shopping (outside of food shopping) and it involves picking up every single item in a shop to have a look at it.

And I mean EVERY.SINGLE.FUCKING.ITEM.

A trip to Ikea could easily be a full day trip. I now point blank refuse to go with her if she wants to go there.

Plus, she is not happy when I don't agree to pick stuff up from there for her (I work 5 minutes from the place). Apparently, 'Ask me bollix' is not any acceptable answer to any request from your wife - Who knew?

Comment

Oh, just remembered. I also had to describe myself as a smoker, as only quit on June 30th last year, and you only count as a non-smoker after 12 months. So that must have caused the risk weighting to skyrocket.

Think I'll go ahead with the mortgage application and then ask the broker to reapply for insurance from July 1st, at which point there's no operation in the last 12 months and I'm a non-smoker. Should be good for a decent enough drop, hopefully. gulp.
                                                                  I had to get mortgage protection just for me self as the missus medical history caused them all to run.

In better news

Eurovision bitches
                                                                  ​​​
                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Any other WFH laptop users experiencing neck/back pain?

Am in bits with it the last week. Visited a physio and it's neck muscle related. Putting it down to bad posture on the lappy.
                                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Am in bits with it the last week. Visited a physio and it's neck muscle related. Putting it down to bad posture on the lappy.
                                                                      I only arse around at home(not working), and got myself a screen to plug the laptop into ages ago. Then got a stand to make the screen higher. Still need to get a better chair.

Comment

https://www.adverts.ie/office-tables...chair/23166300

Refurb steelcase Leap, the nut office chair.

Combine with one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-DM0.../dp/B06VYBGVV1

Was crippled with shoulder pain 4 or 5 years ago, setting up ergonomically correct sorted it all out.
                                                                        Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                        https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

It's only a matter of time before some guy beats his wife to death in IKEA with the leg of a nicely fitted table.

Comment

Kahneman's new book is out.

I was just reading the other week about how several chapters of Fast and Slow have effectively been retracted. Wonder will it get a mention.

https://replicationindex.com/2020/12...fast-and-slow/
                                                                            Last edited by Denny Crane; 18-05-21, 21:43.

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post

Was crippled with shoulder pain 4 or 5 years ago, setting up ergonomically correct sorted it all out.
                                                                              that's weird. from the front it looks identical to a freedom chair without the headrest.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I had to get mortgage protection just for me self as the missus medical history caused them all to run.

In better news

Eurovision bitches
                                                                                ​​​

ah for fuks sak. First I hear about a 700 euro a month cost forever and then the romania not qualifying bombshell. What is wrong with the world?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

that's weird. from the front it looks identical to a freedom chair without the headrest.
                                                                                  There’s two chairs in that ad. First is the steelcase one. Freedom is the second one, in the kitchen.

Aeron would be my pick for sitting in all day. But not cheap

Comment

Don't work for extended periods using a laptop. Attach a big screen and a proper (wireless optional) keyboard and mouse.

Get a box or something so you can put the mouse and keyboard on it and work while standing for periods.

Take time out to do 15 min exercise (dog walk, stair climbing, skipping, yoga, swing golf club, shagging etc.) for every 1 hours 45 min sitting.

Sitting Disease is a real killer. No chair will cure it.
                                                                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post

Was the adjustable stand any use for you?

I got one for the missus and packed it up 30 mins later as she didn't like it at all. Just typing was enough to make it wobble and sway uncomfortably. She asked for a height adjustable desk at work and they shipped out the same adjustable stand ​​​​​​.

Since then she's got a new job which is 100% remote. They pay for a new macbook pro and give 2k+ for your office setup (desk, chair etc). So she'll get her stand desk after all. Some other cool perks like paying for music and books. Sign me up as well please love.

Comment

David McWilliams' latest pod on Israel/Palestine is excellent. Incredibly interesting.

Well worth 30 mins of your time.

Comment

Thanks very much for the neck pain tips lads.

Think I'll get myself a screen and wireless keyboard for now. Stand up more.

Comment

David McWilliams' latest pod on Israel/Palestine is excellent. Incredibly interesting.

Well worth 30 mins of your time.
                                                                                            Not exactly his specialist subject.

In other news, there's definitely a sense of a net closing on Trump (and Giuliani).

Comment

In other news, there's definitely a sense of a net closing on Trump (and Giuliani).
                                                                                              His guest though was really interesting. A NY Jewish journalist with a really insightful commentary on the history of it, and the Geopolitics of the region.

I think you'll like it.

Comment

He had Tom Friedman on whose book you suggested i read and i will on the back of listening to him.
                                                                                                I enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post

He had Tom Friedman on whose book you suggested i read and i will on the back of listening to him.
                                                                                                  I enjoyed it.
                                                                                                  Ah, auld Tommy F. I went to listen to him at the Dalkey Book Festival a few years back - that must be the connection between him and McWilliams (who fronts that).

A small world indeed. He is very much a man worth reading, and listening to.

Comment

Vipershnake's live streams are getting quite popular. This is one from last week

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Was the adjustable stand any use for you?

I got one for the missus and packed it up 30 mins later as she didn't like it at all. Just typing was enough to make it wobble and sway uncomfortably. She asked for a height adjustable desk at work and they shipped out the same adjustable stand ​​​​​​.

Since then she's got a new job which is 100% remote. They pay for a new macbook pro and give 2k+ for your office setup (desk, chair etc). So she'll get her stand desk after all. Some other cool perks like paying for music and books. Sign me up as well please love.
                                                                                                      Yes I am fairly tall so end up hunched over a bit at standard desk height. We have motorised sit/stand desks in office that are fab, the one I linked just sits on a wide bench in my home office setup. Its a heavy enough brute but rock solid as a result.
                                                                                                      Have 4k Monitor and a vertical dock for surface pro, then wireless keyboard and mouse, everything at proper height so am sitting up straight. There are decent youtube vids on how to arrange properly, having the right equipment to adjust to begin with is half the battle though.

Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                                      https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post

I enjoyed it.
                                                                                                        See, I knew he would be up Raoul's street. ​​​​​

Comment

Got a haircut, returning to the office on 8-June, signing up for a jab later this week...normality on the horizon.

Might even get to eat food cooked by a professional soon.

Comment

Finished Orphan Black. Enjoyed it a lot. Love the lead actress . The Feral Helena is the most attractive to me

In other news Trump is nicely toasting

Comment

Ah, auld Tommy F. I went to listen to him at the Dalkey Book Festival a few years back - that must be the connection between him and McWilliams (who fronts that).

A small world indeed. He is very much a man worth reading, and listening to.
                                                                                                              Any podcast? Audios ?

Comment

Going for a Speith 1st round leader. (Lee also ) Speith Overall in the Golf.

2nd Pick. Bryson .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

2nd Pick. Bryson .
                                                                                                                  Which stupidly named American do I go for? My eye is drawn to Maverick McNealey at 300/1.

What a name, should be fav imo with a pedigree like that.

Comment

Jaysis, looks like Maverick has quite the background.

Scott McNealy and his wife Susan have four boys – Maverick, Dakota, Colt and Scout

Comment

Which stupidly named American do I go for? My eye is drawn to Maverick McNealey at 300/1.

What a name, should be fav imo with a pedigree like that.
                                                                                                                      A guy called Tiger was very successful, so it's a good ploy.

Comment

A guy called Tiger was very successful, so it's a good ploy.
                                                                                                                        Exactly, it's a clear winning strategy.

My Statistical Heuristic Intelligence Team E-Viewer (or SHITEbot for short) has led me to the conclusion that:
                                                                                                                        1. Americans win most golf majors
                                                                                                                        2. Most Americans that win golf majors have stupid names
                                                                                                                        I mean, duh. It's like, science or something. Profit.

Comment

2nd Pick. Bryson .
                                                                                                                          Hovland main fancy but he’s a bit short now (I’m thinking Kaymer whistling straights vibe) Lowry, Wallace and Westwood all ew T8 25,90,100,125 (overclubbed at 250 on Betfair on Westwood)

FRL Bradley, Westwood and Wallace

Had a nice win on KH Lee last week at 200/1.

I like Speith but have a niggling doubt that he’ll have a couple of blowout holes and the grand slam pressure but should run close
                                                                                                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X