This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
    Jesus will they ever pay the fucking Russians.
    Not sure that they aren't at least negotiating, see below.

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
    This is a worse HSE scandal than Cervical x Savita x Covid Incompetency. AND RTE HAVE GEORGE FUCKING LEE WRITING ARTICLES AND REPORTING ON IT.

I want to see them laid bare by a decent Cyber Security journo but haven't seen it.
    This * a million
    Painful to be hearing HSE / govt people talking absolute shite to nodding puppies like George. Unfortunately tech journos who have any clue are very thin on the ground, don't know of any based in Ireland.

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

The problem with this is the group behind the software, also took a swing at U.S pipelines last week and got shut down.
    I thought we were dealing with a different group

Which would be relevant to this and how HSE ended up with the key.

The group apparently distributed keys to all actors and I've heard the HSE has been given keys due to "scene" outrage at a health service being targetted.
    Its easy to imagine a negotiation that would say we are willing to talk about paying to secure the data you have if we can get the key do the data you encrypted first. Unfortunately its also easy to imagine that after a week of firefighting and restoring that it may not be as straightforward to get back live as it would of been if you had got the key last Saturday morning.

IMO if you want to take a moral position on not paying these cunce the time to do it was in the months before the attack when you knew it was coming or in the weeks after when you know the damage it does, not when there are people standing outside hospitals having huge % chunks taken off their remaining lifespan because they cannot access the urgent treatment they need.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
      I'm not sure I want my appetite messed with . Eating is one of lifes pleasures .
      the battle will continue .
      In the modern world appetite operates at a level of something like 5% physiological / 95% psychological IMO

Comment

The problem with this is the group behind the software, also took a swing at U.S pipelines last week and got shut down.
        I went down a rabbit hole yesterday tracing the bitcoin wallets in use and the money sent to them, apparently US intelligence went after their servers and seized wallets.
        Whether this is true or not isn't really the point.
        What they were doing was franchising the ransomware to other actors then taking a cut of the proceeds. Given the portal site used to manage attacks and generate keys to unencrpyt data is gone, the users that were francisees are left holding the bag.
        And who now may lack the know how to undo what they've done. Or may shoot for the moon ransom wise as they won't get to use the service again.
        The group apparently distrubuted keys to all actors and I've heard the HSE has been given keys due to "scene" outrage at a health service being targetted.
        I was reading some articles about this recently and these gas cunts program their "ransomware kit for hire" to ignore eastern european computers to avoid police/federal investigations disrupting their operations. So if you're in an ex Soviet state or your operating system language is set to one of that region the malware will never engage.

There's also some high level mission statements along the lines of - it's only businesses that can afford to pay who will be targeted. Healthcare and education will not be profiled or attacked. Doesn't convince the skeptic in me.

Comment

@ Raoul and all the other Lief GW Persson fans

This looks a lot more promising than the dire US version

Will be disappointed if it is lacking in Super Salami lines. I've got a feeling that with the TV celeb angle they might be trying to align the character a bit more with Persson himself who was well known in Scandiland as a TV commentator on criminal matters.
          Last edited by Strewelpeter; 21-05-21, 11:04.

Comment

Originally posted by paul8200 View Post
            I'll give you an example. we rented VHS. it was great when they went to DVD. better fidelity, and you've weren't charged 50cent if you didn't rewind when returning. Then Netlix killed blockbuster by renting by post. some super interesting stories about that. Anyway what we all wish we realized then was how good netflix would be at a true digital version. For me I couldn't see past the bandwidth mess in 2010. look where we are now. Cinemas are edge
            I watched this documentary the other week and really enjoyed it. Gave me such a sense of nostalgia for Xtra-Vision

They actually talk in the documentary about the collapse of Blockbuster and it turned out that it wasn't Netflix but that the company was heavily leveraged by Viacom that's really what lead to failing,

"you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
              @ Raoul and all the other Lief GW Persson fans

This looks a lot more promising than the dire US version

Will be disappointed if it is lacking in Super Salami lines. I've got a feeling that with the TV celeb angle they might be trying to align the character a bit more with Persson himself.
              Looks promising, hopefully ripe in sleaze, corruption, perving and general debauchery.
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Looks promising, hopefully ripe in sleaze, corruption, perving and general debauchery.
                I'm a bit concerned that will go with the 'he's also a brilliant detective' It's more fun that he's utterly incompetent and that stuff just falls into his lap as he blunders through and occasionally guesses right

Hopefully its available somewhere that I can start watching it over the weekend and will report back.

Been so stuck for something decent to watch that twenty years later I finally gave in to watching Lost, at least I have no expectation of it ever making any sense!

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post

I watched this documentary the other week and really enjoyed it. Gave me such a sense of nostalgia for Xtra-Vision

They actually talk in the documentary about the collapse of Blockbuster and it turned out that it wasn't Netflix but that the company was heavily leveraged by Viacom that's really what lead to failing,

Is that available on netflix? I do understand the irony

Comment

Been so stuck for something decent to watch that twenty years later I finally gave in to watching Lost, at least I have no expectation of it ever making any sense!
                    I watched American BBQ Showdown the other week.

Was actually kinda...good.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

George called it a Randomware attack three times on Monday
                      Who is this on the TV talking authoritatively about kybercrime (sic) ?

Comment

Got the jab anyway. Took just over 2 hours

Comment

Eurovision.
                          Since 2010 I've done a 'perform badly' Eurovision sweep as my IPB contribution.
                          Omitting the first two countries in the betting (Italy, France this year) then assigning 3 countries to 8 participants in a random draw (seeding it so that everyone gets one of the 8 biggest outsiders).
                          Lowest score of your two worst scoring countries wins the pot (€25 a head from memory).

Happy to organise again this year, but won't be around to start it until 4.30/5pm tomorrow.
                          So if anyone else wants to take it over and start it (or design it their own way) then work away.
                          Otherwise I'll start it up at 4.30/5pm tomorrow, so be around if interested.

Comment

I thought we were dealing with a different group
                            Darkside AFAIK, though who knows. WizardSpider was the other group I've heard mentioned.
                            Large Insurance company in the UK hit as well.
                            That should be big news in a few days, if not sooner

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                              Eurovision.
                              Omitting the first two countries in the betting (Italy, France this year) then assigning 3 countries to 8 participants in a random draw (seeding it so that everyone gets one of the 8 biggest outsiders).
                              Lowest score of your two worst scoring countries wins the pot (€25 a head from memory).

Happy to organise again this year, but won't be around to start it until 4.30/5pm tomorrow.
                              So if anyone else wants to take it over and start it (or design it their own way) then work away.

In
                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                Got the jab anyway. Took just over 2 hours
                                you very thick-skinned?

Comment

Eurovision.

In

Looking forwrad to El Diablo again

Comment

IN . AJ

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

you very thick-skinned?

No, I ran away and it took them that long to find me trembling under a pile of coats

Comment

In the modern world appetite operates at a level of something like 5% physiological / 95% psychological IMO
                                        Eating a tuna salad at the moment and 2 slices of bread just walked out of the pan and landed beside me . I could hear them purr as I lashed the tuna in between them. Phsiolicious

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

No, I ran away and it took them that long to find me trembling under a pile of coats
                                          You could be ill. A pile of coats should keep you warm.

Comment

Who is this on the TV talking authoritatively about kybercrime (sic) ?

Paul Reid head of the HSE and who came up through Eircom and ran their networks operation for years right up to being chair of vodafone Ireland so maybe he knows more than we do, it almost caused me to crash the car when I heard him say it on the radio yesterday
                                            Last edited by Strewelpeter; 21-05-21, 12:25.

Comment

EuroINvision

Comment

Eurovision.

Inski!

Comment

Eurovision.

Inski
                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

I think I may have angered the food gods.

For the last few weeks, I've been looking forward to trying Bujo's limited edition burger ' The Cabin Fever Classic' by Eric Matthews (Head Chef at Chapter 1) and was planning to get it for lunch this Saturday until Mrs Lao Lao suggested we get them last night as she had nothing in for the tea.

When we got them home, I was genuinely excited until we started into them. By luck of the draw, Mrs Lao Lao's burger wasn't a Cabin Fever Classic, it was just a burger with a tiny bit of bacon on it and while mine was a Cabin Fever Classic, it had no Cafe de Paris mayo so it was rather dry and there was a minimal amount of slow confit cherry tomatoes on it that were hardly noticable.

Utterly disappointed!

Comment

In for Eurovision splurge

Comment

Eurovision.

In please!

Comment

IN

MrsFD
                                                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

That was a very quick responses.

1. Dead Parrot
                                                            2. Emmet
                                                            3. Solskjaer
                                                            4. Strewelpeter
                                                            5. Lao Lao
                                                            6. oleras
                                                            7. balfejohn
                                                            8. ionapaul

sadly leaving the 9th man Mr Eurovision himself on the bench
                                                            1. Hitch

Reasonable chance there might be another seven people by this time tomorrow?

Comment

In for the second please!

Comment

Comment

Will straddle / donate to both pools if numbers required.

Comment

In too please.

Comment

I'm battling my inner chicken to install Hive myself on the heating.
                                                                      Bord Gais won't do it and I've been quoted €300 for an install from a sparks.

Once I have that, Wifi toast is the next step
                                                                      A friend of mine installed a new heating system last week called Tado seems pretty good.

Comment

DP is definitely Mr Eurovision.

I merely aspire to his grandeur.
                                                                        ​​​​​

Comment

Seems like huge restaurant intrigue news

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Is that available on netflix? I do understand the irony
                                                                            It's on the US Netflix if you have a VPN.

Comment

Yo Solksjaer! just reading back over the BBV and seen your post about the wife and the weightless thing how does one go about getting such a thing?

Was in a pretty good frame of mine last year leading up to my wedding and subsequently since then I've fluctuated a little bit weightwise (couple pounds up) but I've been pretty active throughout the whole thing (hit 15 months of 10,000 steps the other week) and back out running with some regularity but certainly finding it tricky to knock the snacking on the head (didn't help I ate half a packet of oaties after lunch) don't think I'll ever be a skinny chap but with under 6 months till wedding day 3 could certainly do with every little bit of help. Just before Christmas I hit the lightest I'd been in years and since I started to track my weight.

Fucking Louis Copland suit hanging up in the wardrobe since last year and it would be awesome to look the absolute business in it at least for one day...

Comment

Ronald Pump 4.00 Auteuil Saturday

Comment

Yo Solksjaer! just reading back over the BBV and seen your post about the wife and the weightless thing how does one go about getting such a thing?

Was in a pretty good frame of mine last year leading up to my wedding and subsequently since then I've fluctuated a little bit weightwise (couple pounds up) but I've been pretty active throughout the whole thing (hit 15 months of 10,000 steps the other week) and back out running with some regularity but certainly finding it tricky to knock the snacking on the head (didn't help I ate half a packet of oaties after lunch) don't think I'll ever be a skinny chap but with under 6 months till wedding day 3 could certainly do with every little bit of help. Just before Christmas I hit the lightest I'd been in years and since I started to track my weight.

Fucking Louis Copland suit hanging up in the wardrobe since last year and it would be awesome to look the absolute business in it at least for one day...
                                                                                  skip one meal a day. If you need help move the other two meals closer together and snack on fruit. I have no idea what an oatie is but I would avoid them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

skip one meal a day. If you need help move the other two meals closer together and snack on fruit. I have no idea what an oatie is but I would avoid them.
                                                                                    Genuine question from someone trying to lose a bit of weight - did you read anything on that as to whether it was a good idea. It seems to be a bit like that idea of intermittent fasting.

Comment

Just a blip you appear to be doing great. Back on the horsie. The missus went through the doc. She gets the injection every Sat morning. By Friday she get the pangs back. The links the lads posted are what she is taking. I hesitate to encourage you to try it when you are doing it properly yourself.

Comment

What were you having for lunch? A Burdock's 1&1 and a rake of pints?
                                                                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Fucking hell RTE news report that "Cyber Security Experts are working to remove bugs in a Decryption key"

You couldn't make this shit up

We are rightly up the Khyber without a paddle

Comment

I've found very little TV worth watching in recent times.

Started No 9 last year, think the situation recommended it.
                                                                                            Watched an episode from the second season yesterday. It was probably one of the best episodes of TV I've seen in years.

Comment

skip one meal a day.
                                                                                              I started skipping breakfast round about this time last year. It started by reading about intermittent fasting, not it feels VERY far removed from fasting. Just totally normal.

It was easy enough I suppose as I wasn't expending any energy commuting and was out of that 'routine' (the routine being a cappuccino and muffin mostly when I landed at my desk).

I only eat between noon and 8pm usually. Feel great in the mornings. Couple of cups of decaf chemex coffee between meetings and the time flies. Never feel hungry.

I do my 10km runs three times a week BEFORE I eat lunch. Can't say I LOST any of my excess weight (which is about one stone) but I can basically eat what I want (which is still too much refined sugar and bread - happy I could drop another stone quickly were I to give these up).

Definitely not saying it would be easy for all but something to consider - breakfast may just be the most overrated meal of the day. Honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

I started skipping breakfast round about this time last year. It started by reading about intermittent fasting, not it feels VERY far removed from fasting. Just totally normal.

It was easy enough I suppose as I wasn't expending any energy commuting and was out of that 'routine' (the routine being a cappuccino and muffin mostly when I landed at my desk).

I only eat between noon and 8pm usually. Feel great in the mornings. Couple of cups of decaf chemex coffee between meetings and the time flies. Never feel hungry.

I do my 10km runs three times a week BEFORE I eat lunch. Can't say I LOST any of my excess weight (which is about one stone) but I can basically eat what I want (which is still too much refined sugar and bread - happy I could drop another stone quickly were I to give these up).

Definitely not saying it would be easy for all but something to consider - breakfast may just be the most overrated meal of the day. Honestly.
                                                                                                John Harvey Kellogg was born in 1852. He invented Cornflakes in 1878 in the hope that plain food would stop people masturbating. Mr Kellogg, the man who created Corn Flakes, produced the cereal in the late 19th century and marketed it as a “healthy, ready-to-eat anti-masturbatory morning meal.
                                                                                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

John Harvey Kellogg was born in 1852. He invented Cornflakes in 1878 in the hope that plain food would stop people masturbating. Mr Kellogg, the man who created Corn Flakes, produced the cereal in the late 19th century and marketed it as a “healthy, ready-to-eat anti-masturbatory morning meal.
                                                                                                  I still eat the stuff. So it clearly doesn't work. More than halfway through masturbation month. Going well so far

4407671e5878081a34e89388f416e189.jpg?w=1200&h=1&fit=max&auto=format%2Ccompress.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                    I've found very little TV worth watching in recent times.

Started No 9 last year, think the situation recommended it.
                                                                                                    Watched an episode from the second season yesterday. It was probably one of the best episodes of TV I've seen in years.
                                                                                                    Which episode?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Genuine question from someone trying to lose a bit of weight - did you read anything on that as to whether it was a good idea. It seems to be a bit like that idea of intermittent fasting.
                                                                                                      It is basically intermittent fasting. The main benefit regular people get from IF is that it is much easier to cut down on the total calories you consume. This is just a very easy way of getting some of the benefits of IF. There's no harm at all in fasting, quite the opposite. (Also this is barely a fast)

Comment

Jaysus Mcginley hasnt a clue what's going on . I'm going off him as a commentator.

Comment

Next ye will be getting rid of brunch . Ah here .

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Which episode?
                                                                                                            I'm guessing the second episode of season 2. Was going to give it a go also. The episodes don't seem to be related to each other.

Comment

I'm battling my inner chicken to install Hive myself on the heating.
                                                                                                              Bord Gais won't do it and I've been quoted €300 for an install from a sparks.

Once I have that, Wifi toast is the next step
                                                                                                              Renovating a house myself at the moment and upgrading the heating system.
                                                                                                              Any particular reason you'd go with Hive over other options like Nest etc? Anyone else any experience with or opinion on them?

Comment

Yeeeeeah. It's not raining

Comment

thechamp87 I started my own renovations yesterday after putting it off as long as possible.
                                                                                                                  New windows arrived Thursday but the window cills not here until Monday so I cut the reveals back on the downstairs.
                                                                                                                  Wife super impressed with all the dust!

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                                                    Yeeeeeah. It's not raining
                                                                                                                    Fierce cold out on the Curragh this morning, coould have done with thermals FFS.

Comment

Fierce cold out on the Curragh this morning, coould have done with thermals FFS.
                                                                                                                      Yep, I was regretting not wearing snood and hat this morn. Gloves on the whole time. Strange temperatures.
                                                                                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

After finishing a two year contract with 3, I thought fuck that never again. So had a root around Google for a new phone. Often see a few posts here on phones from China so purchased this

I'm very impressed it's as good as my huawei which prob ended up costing €€€€€ in the long run. Its my 3rd time purchasing off eglobal despite some bad reviews. Took a little over 2 weeks. I'm now done with contracts!
                                                                                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

AJ where do we send the eurov monies ?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X