This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

You are also forgetting that Hamas KNOW this will happen. I agree with you though but you seem hung up on one argument at the expense of the other bigger one . How does this stop ?
    what we think only really matters if we can offer a solution.
    In my view Israel needs to show concern for innocent lives and perhaps hold fire and show restraint . This restraint would show the world they have strength other than weaponry .
    Israel should back down NOW and make a big deal out of the lives they took.
    But the world is almost completely (and that almost never happens) united in saying that the solution is for Israel to give back the land they have taken. The relevant land is internationally labelled as 'occupied territory'. So asking Hamas to come up with a solution is not asking the right country. How can Hamas solve the fact that Israel is occupying their land, and that this occupation is creating endemic poverty that is leading to extremism in a small minority? Of course it would. It did in Northern Ireland also. There is only one solution - and its not the people living 5000 to a square kilometre who can come up with the long-term solution.
    Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 17-05-21, 21:30.
    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Covid robbed us of this winner
      https://youtu.be/1HU7ocv3S2o
      Brilliant! This year's icelandic entry is a shadow of that unfortunately.

Just listening to some of the dress rehearsals tonight. I'm not sure the Ukrainian song comes across too good on the stage. Maltese one is being blasted out and sounds great. Cyprus rehearsal is getting all the views, but i think thats based on singer hotness. Its really hard to get away from the fact that it sounds like a lady gaga song.

Comment

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

But the world is almost completely (and that almost never happens) united is saying that the solution is for Israel to give back the land they have taken. The relevant land is officially internationally labelled as 'occupied territory'. So asking Hamas to come up with a solution is not asking the right country. How can Hamas solve the fact that Israel is occupying their land, and this is creating endemic poverty that is leading to extremism in a small minority? Of course it would. It did in Northern Ireland also.
          It's interesting you use the NI parallel.

Because when did Sinn Fein start making real political progress? When they dropped armed struggle. A united Ireland is more likely now via constitutional means than it was when Adams, McGuinness and their PIRA were murdering thousands.
          The Palestinians should learn from that.

Hamas, Islamic Jihad etc should stop firing rockets and start focussing on winning the battle of ideas. Modern day Ghandhism. And if they won't stop (or their Iranian sponsors won't let them), then the Palestinian people should vote them out - they are making the chances of a settlement more unlikely with every rocket fired.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

In my view Israel needs to show concern for innocent lives and perhaps hold fire and show restraint . This restraint would show the world they have strength other than weaponry .
            Israel should back down NOW and make a big deal out of the lives they took.
            They can't back down while rockets are being launched at their cities. It's a political impossibility, they can't just ignore them and sit on their hands.

Comment

No, nothing Israel can do. The 58 kids just have to die.

Comment

Think i'm going to suck it up and bet on Cyprus. Don't like the song, but everything is saying thats what people really like. Will do Ukraine in a few top 3, top 5 things.

Comment

Nonviolent resistance. Thats the shtick that'll sort this mess out.
                  Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

What caused the poverty divide in the 60s ? The troops actually came to NI to put manners on the Loyalists .
                    The troubles started long before the 60s. As did the property divide. But that’s getting to the crux of it.
                    Religion is a co-related to the cause. It’s is not the cause.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                      The troubles started long before the 60s. As did the property divide. But that’s getting to the crux of it.
                      Religion is a co-related to the cause. It’s is not the cause.
                      LDO .

Comment

Remember when all we debated on was peas.
                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

LDO .
                          It’d have thought it was obvious myself.
                          I’d also have thought it was obvious that it wasn’t actually over religion too.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                            Remember when all we debated on was peas.
                            Give peas a chance

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                              Nonviolent resistance. Thats the shtick that'll sort this mess out.
                              Violent resistance is not exactly working out now, is it?

The Palestinians are worse off now than in the 1970s. They were worse off in the 1990s than in the 1970s. They're worse off now than in the 1990s.

Violent resistance has taken them backwards. They've lost all their Arab allies and Israel has grown stronger and more emboldened.

Hamas remind me a bit of WW1 generals preparing yet another charge into the enemy machine guns. Like I say, even the PIRA here eventually came to realise their armed struggle was futile.

Does anyone here actually think the Hamas rocketeering is achieving anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                It’d have thought it was obvious myself.
                                I’d also have thought it was obvious that it wasn’t actually over religion too.
                                Both religion and land.

Edit to say the first element has come far more into play, on both sides, since the 1990s. You've only got to look at the composition of the right wing in Israel and the Palestinian leadership to realise that is true.
                                Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 18-05-21, 07:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Give peas a chance
                                  Dont be going all mushy on us now.
                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

To say NI and ME conflicts have nothing to do with religion is pretty ridiculous.

They're about land grabs and oppression. Tribal land grabs, with religion at the centre of those tribal identities.

Comment

Speaking of land grabs, did you see that video going around WhatsApp of the traveller family in Killinarden fencing off about 100m of communal space at the back of their house.

Bonkers stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                        Speaking of land grabs, did you see that video going around WhatsApp of the traveller family in Killinarden fencing off about 100m of communal space at the back of their house.

Bonkers stuff.
                                        Probably for their own protection, 83 cars burnt out on that park in 3 years.

They're the Israel in this situation!!!
                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Probably for their own protection, 83 cars burnt out on that park in 3 years.

They're the Israel in this situation!!!
                                          Cliffs?

Comment

Was in a park recently, with everyone out enjoying the sunshine, and two knacker kids start a game with each other of going around slapping picnickers on the head and running away. The looks of complete disbelief from the recently-slapped folk of Blackrock were almost a joy to behold. They are indeed a different breed.

Comment

The missus is currently conducting a team meeting in VR from Prague . Tomorrow is Miama beach

Some companies have too much money

Comment

The missus is currently conducting a team meeting in VR from Prague . Tomorrow is Miama beach

Some companies have too much money
                                                Does it work well?

I read a decent book that was very convincing that the sense of presence in VR is far better than normal screen interaction.

Comment

Hey. I've a building question. How much would it cost in approximate millions to put an extra floor on a building like this? Like would it be about 5 mil, 10 mil, 30 mil?

SPOILER

Comment

Does it work well?

I read a decent book that was very convincing that the sense of presence in VR is far better than normal screen interaction.
                                                    Well the feedback from her team is all positive energy. Eg Can write in the air if you want to demo some idea . Seems interesting . I borrow the headset for my own entertainment. Took a wander through Venice last night. Now I'm deffo going.

Comment

Brilliant! This year's icelandic entry is a shadow of that unfortunately.

Just listening to some of the dress rehearsals tonight. I'm not sure the Ukrainian song comes across too good on the stage. Maltese one is being blasted out and sounds great. Cyprus rehearsal is getting all the views, but i think thats based on singer hotness. Its really hard to get away from the fact that it sounds like a lady gaga song.
                                                      Going just by the two videos, as havent watched any live rehearsals;
                                                      Malta seems to have everything, just from the video.
                                                      Plus sized female singer in a song about female empowerment and *most importantly* has the classic eurovision horn hook.
                                                      I'm going deep.

Ukranian one, will be getting the sympathy vote. Video carries a lot of water for that song, which will be missing live.

This is a dark horse

Billie Eilish vibes, a teeny bit too much autotune, but WAIT!
                                                      Here it is live...

Top 5 @ 6/1
                                                      200/1 ew PP paying top 4
                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

ffs. you've definitely crystalised a fear that Ukraine might be riding on a video.

Comment

Was my fav Eurovision song but did badly. Still play it.

Comment

3/1 top 10.
                                                            gonna get a lot of jury votes and 1/4 to qualify

Damn you hitch....I'm starting to get all eurovisiony now
                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Cliffs?
                                                              https://www.echo.ie/news/article/par...cial-behaviour
                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Does it work well?

I kinda thought the best bit of video meetings was the lack of presence. If someone is droning on you can be working on something else. Only need to pay attention when it matters.

Comment

Does it work well?

More importantly. Which VR companies should we plough our pensions into ahead of the revolution?

Comment

No idea tbh. My personal bet is on metaverses - virtual worlds - which have land-related NFTs you can buy. As my thinking is that these will be the places that people will hang out in VR worlds.

Comment

Split my bet, and first physical cash used in maybe six months, as:

€70 Malta win, 6/1
                                                                      €40 Ukraine to finish in Top 5, 3/1
                                                                      €40 Romania to finish as Top Balkan State, 18/1

Comment

Hey. I've a building question. How much would it cost in approximate millions to put an extra floor on a building like this? Like would it be about 5 mil, 10 mil, 30 mil?

SPOILER
                                                                        Mellor would probably have the best handle on this but I'd guess that unless the possibility was designed in a rebuild would be cheaper.
                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Mrs cant work due to those hackers so had 3 hours in IKEA inflicted on me this morning. That place really is like some kind of Hell to me tbh, I genuinly was close to tears towards the end. Might start a Gofundme to pay the hackers quicksmart.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                            Mrs cant work due to those hackers so had 3 hours in IKEA inflicted on me this morning. That place really is like some kind of Hell to me tbh, I genuinly was close to tears towards the end. Might start a Gofundme to pay the hackers quicksmart.
                                                                            It seems to be a universal rule that that place is heaven for women and hell for men.

Comment

It seems to be a universal rule that that place is heaven for women and hell for men.
                                                                              Tuesday evening, half an hour before closing - if you know exactly what you want and where to find it - is the nut time to visit.

Comment

Should have gone over the 2m doses administered mark sometime in the last 24 hours...would be nice to think we can do the next 1m in < 4 weeks (which we should, assuming supply tracks as expected) and then another 1m by the first week of July.

Comment

what source are you using for that raoul? the covid app has stopped updating with vaccination numbers since the hack.

Comment

You could probably use it as a test to find out if some people are really trans women. Save time and money on some of those therapist sessions.
                                                                                    Person...Woman...Man......Camera..TV

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Mellor would probably have the best handle on this but I'd guess that unless the possibility was designed in a rebuild would be cheaper.
                                                                                      Yikes! That true Mellor ?

Comment

In other vaccine news:

Comment

Split my bet, and first physical cash used in maybe six months, as:

€70 Malta win, 6/1
                                                                                          €40 Ukraine to finish in Top 5, 3/1
                                                                                          €40 Romania to finish as Top Balkan State, 18/1
                                                                                          where are you getting those odds?

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

where are you getting those odds?
                                                                                            that was in the paddypower shop. Took the odds from the website and the guy behind the counter confirmed. did I look up something wrong?

Edit: ah, I see Ukraine has come in a lot since a few hours ago. Its the least interesting of the three bets anyway.

Comment

what source are you using for that raoul? the covid app has stopped updating with vaccination numbers since the hack.
                                                                                              It's at 1.922m doses now, which is at a lag of at least 3 days (which means we've gone over 2m during the lag).

And 250k a week was achieved last week and is supposed to continue (and accelerate) from here on.

Mostly I get this from de wife, who seems to sit in on innumerable meetings of this sort.

Comment

In other vaccine news:

Give me that J&J one and done goodness!

Comment

Tuesday evening, half an hour before closing - if you know exactly what you want and where to find it - is the nut time to visit.
                                                                                                  If you can find me a woman that is capable of sticking to that Id happily marry her on the spot.

In for a couch - "Oooh look bath salts, oooh scented candles, i think ineed a new pillow (30 min job it seems), those plants look nice for my office, would this unit fit in the en-suite, i like that LED lighted mirror - lets investigate the whole range (calls salesguy over) etc etc
                                                                                                  Last edited by Dice75; 18-05-21, 13:00.

Comment

It's at 1.922m doses now, which is at a lag of at least 3 days (which means we've gone over 2m during the lag).

And 250k a week was achieved last week and is supposed to continue (and accelerate) from here on.

Mostly I get this from de wife, who seems to sit in on innumerable meetings of this sort.
                                                                                                    nah - those are out of date numbers. You can see the 1.922m figure here also. But that number has been frozen since May 11th due to the hack. We're probably up near 2.2m now, 2.5m by the end of the week. You can see from here, that the last update was last Tuesday: https://covid-19.geohive.ie/pages/vaccinations

this is all good news, of course. except the near certainty that you'll have to ship me cash which I'll then probably use to feed my crypto habit

Comment

In other vaccine news:

So tomorrow is a good day to turn 45 then. Go me.

Comment

Now that vaccination is becoming a reality, and we seem to have a choice - its waaaaay better to choose Pfizer, no? There's ample time for the second shot before holidays rear their heads, and it seems to give far better protection. I get the upfront benefit of the J&J, but surely we want the maximum protection as it seems like Pfizer will be more robust to variants.
                                                                                                        Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 18-05-21, 13:04.

Comment

Now that vaccination is becoming a reality, and we seem to have a choice - its waaaaay better to choose Pfizer, no? There's ample time for the second shot before holidays rear their heads, and it seems to give far better protection. I get the upfront benefit of the J&J, but surely we want the maximum protection as it seems like Pfizer will be more robust to variants.
                                                                                                          A lady asked me that yesterday, she had done a Tar Mammy on it and turned down AZ.

Told her I'd take whatever they want to jab into me.

Comment

A lady asked me that yesterday, she had done a Tar Mammy on it and turned down AZ.

Told her I'd take whatever they want to jab into me.
                                                                                                            I think they're going to give you a choice (everyone under 49). You could say 'whatever', but sure if you have a choice its probably best to have a choice. Obv the only two feasible are J&J (one shot and done) or Pfizer (one shot now, second about four weeks later).

Comment

Tough read....

https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-40440003.html

Comment

this is all good news, of course. except the near certainty that you'll have to ship me cash which I'll then probably use to feed my crypto habit
                                                                                                                this is good news too as I will be jabbed, plus I will keep you hooked for future prop bet squeezing

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                                  Can't even read it.

I muted their Dad on twitter because I just couldn't handle it. Poor guy. Desperately sad.

Comment

I think they're going to give you a choice (everyone under 49). You could say 'whatever', but sure if you have a choice its probably best to have a choice. Obv the only two feasible are J&J (one shot and done) or Pfizer (one shot now, second about four weeks later).
                                                                                                                    So you think Pfizer is optimal then based on what you said earlier?

Comment

To say NI and ME conflicts have nothing to do with religion is pretty ridiculous.
                                                                                                                      They're about land grabs and oppression. Tribal land grabs, with religion at the centre of those tribal identities.
                                                                                                                      Well, good thing I said it's not over religion.
                                                                                                                      And I stand by that. Obviously there is a clear link to religious denomination. But I still maintain that this is a co-related factor, not the cause. And that also wasn't a random notion I took reading the BBV today. It's a topic I've given reasonable consideration.

Land grab and oppression (for material gain) is on the mark in my opinion. The history is a complex one. The actual land grab occurred before protestantism even existed. The logical origin point for the change in tribal identity, is the plantations starting in the 16th century, in particular the final, Ulster plantation. The crown under Henry VIII publicly opposed protestantism at first, but he later got on board in order to divorce his first wife, and so spilt from Rome. The first plantations started about 20 years later - under "Bloody Mary", the last catholic monarch.

The plantations in Ulster were slightly later again, and the more successful. They created a population of displaced natives, and a planted ruling class of aristocracy - who happened to be protestant (as was the crown by then). But the crux of it for me, had Bloody Mary's reign or plantations been more successful, the same thing still would have happened. A foreign ruling aristocracy still would have existed to oppress the natives. Only they'd have largely been catholic. All the issues still occur. People weren't going to any more on board with being displaced by English catholics.
                                                                                                                      The issues stem from the fact that the native population was displaced. The people displacing happened to be protestant, and the fact they had a different interpretation of the blood of Christ was really not the issue.

Once rule was established, there was absolutely catholic specific oppression for a time. But by 1900, religion was entirely removed. It had fully become a Nationalist vrs Loyalist issue. Those who had who had an Irish identity verses those that did not. An Irish identity, not a religious one. Many of the nationalist leaders were themselves protestants. Robert Emmet, Parnell, Constance Markievicz, Roger Casement, Erskine Childers, Sam Maguire (ironically given rule 42). The next 100 years religion changes from being a non-issue to being a essentially a 100% co-relation.
                                                                                                                      Have people been killed purely because of their religion. Of course. Do the people involved actually care about the differences the two religions. Not in the slightest. It's what it's associated with rather than what it represents.

Thanks for listening to my Ted talk,
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Mellor; 18-05-21, 14:09.

Comment

Yeah, no chance I'm going to read that

Wonder how long before us 40-44 year olds have to wait - sure I'll be 45 in 2.5 months, let me in now HSE! Very likely will be homeless for most of August, so half thinking that two weeks with the family in England would be fun, ferry over and back. Surely that will be allowed by then, yeah?

Comment

Brilliant stuff Mellor, very well explained.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X