This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Oh, I do yeah. Though a lot has changed since then, and I'd hope that that kind of snobbery is a shadow of it's former self. Often wonder if the history of the travellers being moved on from the site of Nutgrove Shopping Centre was ever recorded, can't really trust my memory of it.
    Wow, that's a memory I haven't thought about in a long time, I remember a lane that ran alongside the fields, it was probably the road up to the old red house, they were parked along that lane as far as I remember. Then periodically a big camp would appear overnight in the fields opposite HB where Nutgrove shopping centre car park is. That's my memory anyway.
    I also remember a long period of drilling and blasting while they were clearing that site. And crowds of lads hanging onto the back of the machinery as it booted around the site, surprised the only accident I remember was a few crushed toes.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

He'd have to fight me first

Whatever 'it' is Nina has it by the ton.
      She's a bit young for the likes of you.

Stick to stalking Helen Mirren old man!
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

God be with the days. Had to travel all over the country with a patch on a usb stick fixing this. Company more than happy to pay mileage, overtime and for top hotels. New girlfriend in tow. happy days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ILOVEYOU
        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post

Well at least they are demonstrating one of the only really useful applications of crypto
          Because there's no crime with paper money!
          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
            As Emmet pointed out, that’s clearly nonsense.
            If I take a $50,000 in cash and deposit it in my bank, it is converted into digital format and stored on a digital ledger.
            If you transfer 1BTC from your wallet to your bank account it is converted into, say $50,000 recorded in your account.

At that point our accounts are essentially identical. The fact the source if mine was tangible Fiat currency, and the source of yours was a digital cryptocurrency is now irrelevant. They are both now digital fiat currency.

Yes, the digital revolution changed home movies forever The other night I actually struggled to pick a movie as I had so much choice between the various platforms.
            I settled on The Dark Knight. And instantly it’s streamed to my TV wirelessly, via the magic of digital movies.

Of course. The Dark Knight was shot on 65mm IMAX film. Analogue. And converted to digital for my home viewing pleasure.
            So your example kinda undermines your claim that analogue conversions are not really digital.
            This isn't correct. A digitally native currency has quite different meaning to a fiat currency, despite both being able to be used to buy things. Being government derived vs being computationally derived removes a significant amount of political interference, for a start.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

I didn't ask what decentralised finance was? I asked what centralised finance is? If you're defining decentralised finance as the complement of that, then you surely would be able to explain in layman's terms what it is that you would like to break away from.

Tell me what you don't want in the financial system that exists today and give me 3 genuine benefits to a state deciding that a decentralised approach to the monetary system is a better option. We'll not consider any of the costs just yet. Just 3 tangible improvements to my neighbour Mrs. Keogh's life that would come about if we all jumped ship and 'moved across' the boundaries. Ideally these 3 benefits would be specifically applicable, and not available to us in our current setup.

FWIW Target 2 launched in the Eurozone in 1999, based on the back of existing digital payment systems to facilitate central bank cross-border settlement. Nobody was delivering pallets of euros to the ECB daily to offset their obligations to the ECB.

I'll get to the answer in a moment, but the two highlighted bits show an element of ideation confusion - benefits to a state are not necessarily the same as benefits to Mrs Keogh.

What defi is trying to do is cut out a vast amount of the bureaucracy that has been built up around the handling of money and finance (the borrowing and investing of money). This bureaucracy exists primarily to extract benefits rather than add benefits.

defi aims to remove this bureaucracy and allow a free movement of money and finance. The proposed benefit is this is (1) cheaper finance, and (2) more convenient and better-administered finance.

There is no inherent reason why a centralised system could not do the same as what defi is trying to do, except that an incumbent system never wants to give up its ability to extract value. That includes central banks which get resources and power from managed that system.

Comment

BigBanking at its finest. Classic Raoul.

Raoul to HJ: Hey musicboy, do you even finance?

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Just as a matter of interest HJ, when did you become interested in finance generally and crypto specifically? I never remember you ever having any interest or demonstrated knowledge in the subject until recently when you are presenting yourself as an authority.

Are you working in the area now? Or have you done a Masters or something?

HJ: Actually I've worked in defi since it started, what would you like to know?

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

I've worked as an analyst for a company in the space for about a year and a half, which in crypto terms is a long time. DEFI only really exploded last summer.

Raoul:

41I3N7i1p4L.jpg

or we could conclude you've been working in this area for an extremely short time and have swallowed all of the koolaid that is going

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                  BigBanking at its finest. Classic Raoul.
                  We didn't get to not-so-secretly run the world by being nice guys and we sure as fuck aren't going to turn it over to some techno geeks .

At least not until I'm safely retired anyway.

Comment

I would love that. I never realised before how interesting finance could be before getting involved tangentially. I reread liars poker recently and it made a lot more sense the 2nd time around!
                    The back story to this particular tale of A-Grade idiocy was that we had a euphemistically-named 'Special Projects' division, wherein the various geniuses employed therein were encouraged to basically go nuts and invent their own loopy trading strategies. This all went well for a number of years, and the Special Projects Team would dutifully hoover up the various Big Swinging Dick (yes, they really were called that - given to people who earned over 100 million) awards at the bank's annual weekend away in Sun City.
                    Anyhoo, come approx 2007 and the markets were still just about on an extended bender when a new Special Projects trader appeared in our office and immediately announced he had discovered a new and exciting correlation between the price of copper and certain equity derivatives, which he had devised a devilishly smart trading strategy to exploit.
                    He pitched this idea to the rest of us and proposed to basically punt the balls off this before the rest of the world cottoned on to this amazing plan. He finished his pitch and, as was customary, left the room so the rest of us could discuss this cunning plan.

I turned to my boss and said "that might be stupidest thing I've ever heard". He said this was quite likely but had I noted the name of this particular villain and then had I further noted that this was the same name as held by the esteemed chairman and founder of the entire fucking bank (God, basically) and that maybe I should STFU.
                    I duly ST'd the FU and we called Genius Boy back in to acclaim the wonders of his pitch.

He got off to a decent start, banking a few mill in a few months and then in one single day, had a meltdown of epic proportions, spunking a cool $80m in about three hours after initiating several parentally-sanctioned overrides of his trading limits before being shut down for good, after a phone call to HQ.

It was pretty much like watching Nick Leeson in fast forward mode with a pack of slavering hounds of the other side of the trade just munching up everything he could muster. Or Sporting Aquarium regs when a drunken fish rolled up to the main table.

We still got our bonuses that year, mainly to keep us quiet imo.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

trollo / jira?
                      Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Is trello too simplistic for it?

Sound lads, I'll check them out. Normally not huge fan of Kanban formats but it could well be the best solution.

Comment

You should let the Fed know of your thoughts, I'm sure they would be very glad for your input.
                        You were doing great til you went for the appeal to authority fyi m9
                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I think the most simplistic take on crypto is markets invariably increase to survive.
                          If you think crypto will exist in ten years time, it's a no brainer investment, with the caveat you
                          are happy to sit on it and not shit your knickers on short term swings.

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

We didn't get to not-so-secretly run the world by being nice guys and we sure as fuck aren't going to turn it over to some techno geeks .

At least not until I'm safely retired anyway.
                            So you're saying about 7 years then?
                            Person...Woman...Man......Camera..TV

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

So you're saying about 7 years then?
                              Suits me.

I was hoping 55 but I'll go early.

Comment

Edwin Poots is the new DUP leader.

We'll be looking fondly back to the days when that well-known liberal, Ian Paisley Snr, was is charge.

Comment

The back story to this particular tale of A-Grade idiocy was that we had a euphemistically-named 'Special Projects' division, wherein the various geniuses employed therein were encouraged to basically go nuts and invent their own loopy trading strategies. This all went well for a number of years, and the Special Projects Team would dutifully hoover up the various Big Swinging Dick (yes, they really were called that - given to people who earned over 100 million) awards at the bank's annual weekend away in Sun City.
                                  Anyhoo, come approx 2007 and the markets were still just about on an extended bender when a new Special Projects trader appeared in our office and immediately announced he had discovered a new and exciting correlation between the price of copper and certain equity derivatives, which he had devised a devilishly smart trading strategy to exploit.
                                  He pitched this idea to the rest of us and proposed to basically punt the balls off this before the rest of the world cottoned on to this amazing plan. He finished his pitch and, as was customary, left the room so the rest of us could discuss this cunning plan.

I turned to my boss and said "that might be stupidest thing I've ever heard". He said this was quite likely but had I noted the name of this particular villain and then had I further noted that this was the same name as held by the esteemed chairman and founder of the entire fucking bank (God, basically) and that maybe I should STFU.
                                  I duly ST'd the FU and we called Genius Boy back in to acclaim the wonders of his pitch.

He got off to a decent start, banking a few mill in a few months and then in one single day, had a meltdown of epic proportions, spunking a cool $80m in about three hours after initiating several parentally-sanctioned overrides of his trading limits before being shut down for good, after a phone call to HQ.

It was pretty much like watching Nick Leeson in fast forward mode with a pack of slavering hounds of the other side of the trade just munching up everything he could muster. Or Sporting Aquarium regs when a drunken fish rolled up to the main table.

We still got our bonuses that year, mainly to keep us quiet imo.
                                  love it!

Comment

love it!
                                    That was probably only #4 on the list of all-time crazy shit that went down in that place.

Pretty sure the Big Swinging Dick awards were inspired by that book HJ mentioned, Liars Poker.

Comment

We'll be looking fondly back to the days when that well-known liberal, Ian Paisley Snr, was is charge.
                                      Poots is actually very pragmatic, have dealt with him a few times over past few years and he hid his disdain for my kind extremely well indeed. He has made an astute tactical decision with his deputy, she is very progressive so can appeal to the groups he can't be seen to.
                                      Has also eviscerated a fair chunk of the DUP's power structure and blindsided them effectively. Timothy Johnson has been the "brains" of the party for years, Donaldson would have been his horse in the race and 10 years ago would have been unthinkable his choice wasn't a shoo-in.

Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                      https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post

Poots is actually very pragmatic, have dealt with him a few times over past few years and he hid his disdain for my kind extremely well indeed. He has made an astute tactical decision with his deputy, she is very progressive so can appeal to the groups he can't be seen to.
                                        Has also eviscerated a fair chunk of the DUP's power structure and blindsided them effectively. Timothy Johnson has been the "brains" of the party for years, Donaldson would have been his horse in the race and 10 years ago would have been unthinkable his choice wasn't a shoo-in.
                                        You do have to love the incoherent bluster against the NI Protocol though.

"Oh you mean the same Protocol you voted for? The one that wasn't in Teresa May's deal that you rejected, leading to the ascension of Boris? That Protocol???? You fucking fuckwit."

Comment

Thats reassuring to hear

Comment

There have been a whole generation of DUP politicians that got effortlessly elected just by telling working class Prods that their shit standard of life was the fault of taigs/irish/single mothers/immigrants etc etc and that the DUP are the only ones fit to stop this outrage. Trump-esque in some ways.

Have thus never had to develop any real political or leadership skills, displaying either actually would be a huge blow to their tribal appeal. The minute any of them stop spitting at catholics they are fucked out on their ear, David Trimble first to go for signing Good Friday Agreement and admitting Taigs were borderline human, then Paisley Snr was done the moment he smiled beside Martin Mc Guinness. Robinson got some leeway through helping start Ulster Resistance with Paisley and coasting on his historic sectarian bona fides. Arlene slightly similar ,as her visceral Anti Sinn fein revulsion was so obvious that it was pretty much as comforting to ordinary Prods that she was one of them.

Comment

Will be sad times for children in the north when anyone caught with a dinosaur toy is tried for heracy

Comment

There have been a whole generation of DUP politicians that got effortlessly elected just by telling working class Prods that their shit standard of life was the fault of taigs/irish/single mothers/immigrants etc etc and that the DUP are the only ones fit to stop this outrage. Trump-esque in some ways.

Have thus never had to develop any real political or leadership skills, displaying either actually would be a huge blow to their tribal appeal. The minute any of them stop spitting at catholics they are fucked out on their ear, David Trimble first to go for signing Good Friday Agreement and admitting Taigs were borderline human, then Paisley Snr was done the moment he smiled beside Martin Mc Guinness. Robinson got some leeway through helping start Ulster Resistance with Paisley and coasting on his historic sectarian bona fides. Arlene slightly similar ,as her visceral Anti Sinn fein revulsion was so obvious that it was pretty much as comforting to ordinary Prods that she was one of them.

Did i hear right that this was the first voted on leadership of the DUP since 1970 or something?

Comment

Did our aul pal Tyler get married? Paging Hotspur, i think, who normally is on top of these TylerDurden watchings?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Did i hear right that this was the first voted on leadership of the DUP since 1970 or something?
                                                    SF has never had a leadership vote either.

Comment

Good morning , it's your fitness coach

Lose those covid pounds with a workout to one of the best live performances of the 80s .

Comment

SF has never had a leadership vote either.
                                                        It was with great surprise recently I found out that a CLYNES was the 1st English leader of the Labour party in blighty.
                                                        the shock of it. An ENGLISHMAN in the family.

Comment

Son taken out of school Thurs pm with a headache and sore throat. Brought him for a covid test yesterday am, since when he's been coughing his head off. Few other kids in the school with same. Hopefully this cyber attack doesn't slow down the test result...

1/10 he doesn't have it.

Comment

Are you able to share what it is you do? Sounds very interesting.

​​​​​
                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I am an IT consultant bizarrely, a person certainly might not pick that up from my posts.
                                                              I advise a half dozen different boards in various industries, have taken on a CIO role recently in a recycling focused group I have consulted for years with.
                                                              Also do a "iT director for a day" (the half dozen times a year they need one) function for various charitable trusts and state funded service providers that sit outside govt structures as well.
                                                              Through all these networks (and the many many less salubrious ones) have got quite an interesting phone book

Comment

Got a loan of A VR headset. The Everest VR was incredible. . I

Comment

I am an IT consultant bizarrely, a person certainly might not pick that up from my posts.
                                                                  I advise a half dozen different boards in various industries, have taken on a CIO role recently in a recycling focused group I have consulted for years with.
                                                                  Also do a "iT director for a day" (the half dozen times a year they need one) function for various charitable trusts and state funded service providers that sit outside govt structures as well.
                                                                  Through all these networks (and the many many less salubrious ones) have got quite an interesting phone book
                                                                  Good cover story imo

Comment

Do you even lift bro?

Comment

This isn't correct. A digitally native currency has quite different meaning to a fiat currency, despite both being able to be used to buy things. Being government derived vs being computationally derived removes a significant amount of political interference, for a start.
                                                                      Feel free to point out which part is incorrect. In relation to the actual previous posts of course, not the above attempt to move the goal posts.

You conflated cryptocurrency with digital currency. You made a claim about currency going digital. It’s been digital for decades.
                                                                      Of course that doesn’t imply that digital fiat is the same as crypto. We were commenting on what you said, that’s all.

Comment

Some heat off this crypto debate.

I guess you're all subconsciously defending your tribe, your industry.

It's like a football row.

Comment

Real talk,

Marrowfat peas vs. mushy.
                                                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                            Real talk,

Marrowfat peas vs. mushy.
                                                                            Marrowfat peas are used to make mushy peas.

Mushy peas are the work of Satan and are absolutely vile.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                              Got a loan of A VR headset. The Everest VR was incredible. . I
                                                                              Is porn on the top of Everest that much better than regular porn?

Comment

I'm losing a battle of wills with the scales.

Moved it into the dining room as a visual reminder and motivator..it just sits there silently judging me as I scoff a 3 in 1 from the Chinese.

Cant fool the fucker either. I'll do my weigh in, sigh with disappointment then in a conspicuously loud voice say something like "well that's the weigh in done for the day i'm off for a walk", "yep no more weigh ins for me today" and leave the room.... peek around the door, rush back in and leap on it now that it's got its guard down, only to be crushed by a sarcastic "One at a time please" readout on the LED screen, the bastard!

*
                                                                                May be experiencing mania from calorie deficit.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Moved it into the dining room as a visual reminder and motivator..it just sits there silently judging me as I scoff a 3 in 1 from the Chinese.

Cant fool the fucker either. I'll do my weigh in, sigh with disappointment then in a conspicuously loud voice say something like "well that's the weigh in done for the day i'm off for a walk", "yep no more weigh ins for me today" and leave the room.... peek around the door, rush back in and leap on it now that it's got its guard down, only to be crushed by a sarcastic "One at a time please" readout on the LED screen, the bastard!

*
                                                                                  Procrastination and denial are always options but this helps a bit.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-IE/GB/p/530464
                                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Ah cheers I'm doing all right. Down a tiny bit in weight, just wanted to anthropromorphise the scales for a laugh!

Comment

Ah cheers I'm doing all right. Down a tiny bit in weight, just wanted to anthropromorphise the scales for a laugh!
                                                                                      Sounds like you are a marrow-fat man
                                                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

The price of it !

I got this earlier in the year. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                          Is porn on the top of Everest that much better than regular porn?
                                                                                          I make no secret of my love for the fairer sex however boringly enough the ol porn doesnt do much for me . As for Everest porn. Any man that can do that with a solid chilly willy deserves the admiration of all sexual inclinations.

Comment

*
                                                                                            I hear ya . What hope have we now the BBC have the Copa matches secured . Also The Euros , Olympics , the golf. Wimbledon and many more , fucked we are Wahhhhhh

Comment

I hear ya . What hope have we now the BBC have the Copa matches secured . Also The Euros , Olympics , the golf. Wimbledon and many more , fucked we are Wahhhhhh
                                                                                              My trousers are getting a bit loose after this blast of exercise lately.

12st 9 now and definitely feeling the benefits a lot more in the last week or two. Was a solid 6/7 weeks of pain at the start but seems to be paying off now. Need to find a bigger hill than the Alpe de Howth Head.

Comment

In others News Hector Jelly just won the British Masters Golf.
                                                                                                do not throw all on Crypto now HJ ..

Comment

Son taken out of school Thurs pm with a headache and sore throat. Brought him for a covid test yesterday am, since when he's been coughing his head off. Few other kids in the school with same. Hopefully this cyber attack doesn't slow down the test result...

1/10 he doesn't have it.
                                                                                                  Boom with the negative test. Good sweat for the day tho'.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                    Marrowfat peas are used to make mushy peas.

Mushy peas are the work of Satan and are absolutely vile.
                                                                                                    Peas off. Mushy Peas with brown sauce are today's version of the ol pigs feet after a few bevs although I admit I'm a weirdo when it comes to food. I was mocked years ago for cooking 1 turnip on it's own and devouring it. I went through a turnip phase.

My sons veggie joke . Hear about the dead onion? .

SPOILER
                                                                                                    there was a big turnip at his funeral

Comment

Peas off. Mushy Peas with brown sauce are today's version of the ol pigs feet after a few bevs although I admit I'm a weirdo when it comes to food. I was mocked years ago for cooking 1 turnip on it's own and devouring it. I went through a turnip phase.

My sons veggie joke . Hear about the dead onion? .

SPOILER
                                                                                                      there was a big turnip at his funeral
                                                                                                      I know a lad whose favourite food is boiled onions dipped in salt.

Comment

Mushy peas are trash don't PM me
                                                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I know a lad whose favourite food is boiled onions dipped in salt.
                                                                                                          "He was fine till he lost that 80 million"

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Sounds like you are a marrow-fat man
                                                                                                            Small garden peas are your only man. Grand boiled but the deluxe version is to saute them in butter and garlic with seasoning...just put on a pound thinking about that

Comment

Small garden peas are your only man. Grand boiled but the deluxe version is to saute them in butter and garlic with seasoning...just put on a pound thinking about that
                                                                                                              Petit pois to quote Shhhrrrraaaaaappppp.
                                                                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Ohhh.

Love, Death and robots season 2 out.
                                                                                                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

I lost 6kg in six weeks, mostly through skipping lunch. I feel a lot healthier now.

Comment

Somebody mentioned home automation in here the other day (think it was DP). In fact it's probably come up a few times.
                                                                                                                    I've now a few smart enable devices at home. So starting to try connect them to a holistic system.

Questions for anyone with a reasonable sophisticated set up are;
                                                                                                                    1. How are you connecting/integrating these to a singular system. All the manufacturers appear to have a standalone app. The easiest thing seems to be to integrate these apps with "Home" app running the virtual assistant. Just wondering if there is a better way. Is the likes of ITTH worth it?
                                                                                                                    2. What devices are best bang for buck? Particularly if unexpected. Obviously the likes of lights are a must.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                                      Somebody mentioned home automation in here the other day (think it was DP). In fact it's probably come up a few times.
                                                                                                                      I've now a few smart enable devices at home. So starting to try connect them to a holistic system.

Questions for anyone with a reasonable sophisticated set up are;
                                                                                                                      1. How are you connecting/integrating these to a singular system. All the manufacturers appear to have a standalone app. The easiest thing seems to be to integrate these apps with "Home" app running the virtual assistant. Just wondering if there is a better way. Is the likes of ITTH worth it?
                                                                                                                      2. What devices are best bang for buck? Particularly if unexpected. Obviously the likes of lights are a must.
                                                                                                                      Look for devices that are Thread enabled. Thread is a (future) home automation protocol.

We have a range of blind motors due to launch with Thread tech, it's all future proofing though at the moment.

I'm still learning about it myself, but here's the wiki..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thre...twork_protocol)

Comment

Our Dutch partner company Coulisse that developed the MOTION system (automated blinds) have partners in Oz.

I can hook you up if you wish.

Comment

Kings Harlequin 3.25 Longchamp
                                                                                                                          told to back e/w

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X