BTC? ETH?

or....EUR?
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

what's the issue currency?

BTC? ETH?

or....EUR?
      The question doesn't get any smarter the second time you post it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

The question doesn't get any smarter the second time you post it.
        It's not intended to be 'smart'. It's intended to establish a simple fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Someone in the US did a study of hedge funds and the dotcom bubble and found that the hedge funds were invested until literally the month before it all collapsed. So they got the whole upward swing and ditched the collapse. Now thats easier said than done, but they made far more money being part of the bubble compared to swerving it.
          Well, some of them did. Some of them went bust!

Comment

We're going to need to restructure the HHE to eliminate deadwood if some people miss out on the free dosh lying on the table because they once read a stockmarket history book.
            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

HJ in, Raoul out obv.

Ole is just one drunken bet away from elite status.

Laz makes a surprise entry after the runaway success of his automated blinds NFT gifs.

Comment

We're going to need to restructure the HHE to eliminate deadwood if some people miss out on the free dosh lying on the table because they once read a stockmarket history book.
                I was just thinking this morning that people with a decent bit of wealth to manage probably wouldn't have an interest in the risks of this stuff, but due to the reality of the magnitude of upside swings with some of it then it suits people with less to lose. Which is to say I imagine it attracts more people who won't generate much wealth based on their current holdings so spinning it up is the only way for them and worth the downside risk.

edit: come to think of it I think I have just described penny stocks
                Last edited by hotspur; 10-05-21, 14:34.

Comment

HJ in, Raoul out obv.

Ole is just one drunken bet away from elite status.

Laz makes a surprise entry after the runaway success of his automated blinds NFT gifs.
                  you don't think I could be playing you all and I am just about to launch my own crypto-NFT-onlyfans combo tri-play?

shocking omission of Tara L Darion from your list too imo

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

I was just thinking this morning that people with a decent bit of wealth to manage probably wouldn't have an interest in the risks of this stuff, but due to the reality of the magnitude of upside swings with some of it then it suits people with less to lose. Which is to say I imagine it attracts more people who won't generate much wealth based on their current holdings so spinning it up is the only way for them and worth the downside risk.

you just described the people on that sub-reddit that caused half of Wall St to spit up their caviar over the Gamestop shenanigans

Comment

Due to my continued effervescent youth and virility I never thought I would be using one of Pfizer products when I hit my 50s but this is where we are . Tomorrow afternoon I'm inducted into the 5g fried brain army. 1st dose. I made it Maw. I do hope this injection doesnt turn me into Benny Hill. I'm bad enough as it is.

Comment

you don't think I could be playing you all and I am just about to launch my own crypto-NFT-onlyfans combo tri-play?

Will these bitcoins work in vending machines ?

Comment

The missus went missing for 3 hours to get the hair done. I enjoyed the peace so much I forgot to compliment her when she arrived home. Now trying to figure out a compliment that has some kind of depth to it. Might be all immaterial though after my Pfizer shot. I'm thinking I might go Austin Powers as opposed to Benny Hill.

Comment

omg. he epitomises everything blockchain. shocking omission indeed.

Comment

The standard advice to very wealthy people is to have crypto as 1 - 3% of your total investment portfolio, so there's very limited downside.

Comment

Bought my new fancy digital weighing scales (why call them bathroom scales!! I put them in the bedroom in protest)

A confident step up followed by a kind of dismissive laugh of the "well that couldn't possibly be right" variety.

5 mins later..

Jacket, keys, wallet, belt, shoes, clothes fitbit watch in a panicked pile beside those thrice bedamned lying scales

214.4 lbs

Had to have a lie down with the shock!

* drank 2 glasses of water in rapid succession...hoping to lose 4 pounds shortly

Comment

I have a pension I started years ago with Bank of Ireland. I have no idea what the fees are or even what they invest in. (YOLO). Is it worth looking into changing the provider?

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                    Bought my new fancy digital weighing scales (why call them bathroom scales!! I put them in the bedroom in protest)

A confident step up followed by a kind of dismissive laugh of the "well that couldn't possibly be right" variety.

5 mins later..

Jacket, keys, wallet, belt, shoes, clothes fitbit watch in a panicked pile beside those thrice bedamned lying scales

214.4 lbs

Had to have a lie down with the shock!

* drank 2 glasses of water in rapid succession...hoping to lose 4 pounds shortly
                                    I'm heavier and I took one foot off the scales

Comment

Hard to disagree with.....

Smartphones: We have become ‘human snails who ignore friends and family’

The phone is now ‘where we live’, according to an international study that includes Ireland
                                      https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...mily-1.4560316
                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

The standard advice to very wealthy people is to have crypto as 1 - 3% of your total investment portfolio, so there's very limited downside.
                                        I'd quite like to hear V's take on this standard advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

I'm heavier and I took one foot off the scales
                                          well over that as well

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                            They're handy when your in a Q though.

Cant imagine the amount of rubbish I've read online.
                                            I find my attention span is quite low (depending on the content obviously) so kind of scan a lot of articles.

Still nothing like a good book fo relax the mind.

Comment

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

How many have we had this year? Stocks, Real Estate, Crypto? What am I leaving out?
                                                Lumber.

Comment

Someone in the US did a study of hedge funds and the dotcom bubble and found that the hedge funds were invested until literally the month before it all collapsed. So they got the whole upward swing and ditched the collapse. Now thats easier said than done, but they made far more money being part of the bubble compared to swerving it.
                                                  The story about Soros is good. I'll try and dig it up.

Comment

I think there's a ton of HNW individuals that have used it (plus lots of money from nefarious activities). I think we underestimate the appeal in a way as our government isn't as controlling as the states, and our banks function reasonably well. You don't have to be worried about getting arrested for flying with 10k. Can see why this took off with rich poker players.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Lumber.
                                                      oh corn, also?

Comment

oh corn, also?
                                                        The orange crop ?

Comment

oh corn, also?
                                                          My best trade this year was wheat

Comment

Soros tech story

https://twtext.com/article/1307950539884261376

Comment

Hope you made a lot of dough.

Comment

Hope you made a lot of dough.
                                                                unless he's a gluten for punishment

Comment

Vaccine Day. Lock up your er Sisters .

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

unless he's a gluten for punishment
                                                                    You'd be pretty sour though if you missed the boat
                                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

You'd be pretty sour though if you missed the boat
                                                                      I'd say he made some decent bread, probably in the upper crust of society by now.

Comment

I'd say he made some decent bread, probably in the upper crust of society by now.
                                                                        I wonder did he invest his full roll.

Comment

I didnt wheat long enough , only crumbs left . I kneeded that money . I toast your success anyhow

Comment

These puns are cereal-y bad
                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                              These puns are cereal-y bad
                                                                              I don't get it, must just be the way you spelt it.

Comment

Any Audiobook recs that offer an impartial history of the Israeli / Palestine conflict?

Comment

I've clearly got the balls of a very small boy. Undescended. Woke up this morning and it had risen another 80% - fuck it, sold. Well I kept 300 of the coins to avoid fomo. These shitcoins are a wild wild ride.
                                                                                  Another 60% rise in the (single) day since selling. Its like ethereum all over again.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                    Any Audiobook recs that offer an impartial history of the Israeli / Palestine conflict?
                                                                                    I haven't listened to any of these so can't recommend from an audio perspective but can recommend a few. I think the problem is the scale of it (both in terms of time and also the historical sweep) so trying to understand it in the context of 'just' Israel\Palestine won't really give you any insight, you need the full panoramic lens of history all the way back to biblical times and beyond.
                                                                                    1. Israel by Martin Gilbert is pretty massive but will give you that historical sweep up to the mid-90s, by which stage modern Israel is well established.
                                                                                    2. Robert Fisk is kinda one of our own and has been reporting on the Middle East for decades. The Great War for Civilisation will give you the broad picture, one that the author is passionately angry about.
                                                                                    3. Jerusalem by Simon Sebag Montefiore is a great account of the city at the heart of it all
                                                                                    4. From Beirut to Jerusalem is a great read by a man who has seen it all
                                                                                    5. Recently read Colum McCann's Apeirigon, which hovers somewhere between novel and history. It offers inisght and pathos that you wouldn't get from standard history books and I think is fairly neutral on the politics. I see I only gave it three stars but should really have been 4-ish.

What I would like to read is something that covers the more recent history i.e. since the Oslo accords in 1993, the second Initifada, then covering the failure of the Camp David talks, the rise of Hamas, the rise of the right wing in Israel, the Israeli withdrawal from Gaza, the rise of fundamentalism, land grabbing in the WB, the approach of the Palestinian Arab 'allies'. So if you find something like that, let us know.

Comment

Another 60% rise in the (single) day since selling. Its like ethereum all over again.
                                                                                      it's can't be FOMO, we need a new acronym for this sensation when you've sold out of something but are regretting it bitterly despite having banked a tidy profit

Comment

it's can't be FOMO, we need a new acronym for this sensation when you've sold out of something but are regretting it bitterly despite having banked a tidy profit
                                                                                        G.R.E.E.D.

Comment

Soaring Monarch ew 2.30 Roscommon

Comment

Lads let me know when the crypto bubble is popping it looks bloated and lumpy rn thanks in advance
                                                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Anyone else spend a long time here looking for the pun?

Comment

I have a pension I started years ago with Bank of Ireland. I have no idea what the fees are or even what they invest in. (YOLO). Is it worth looking into changing the provider?
                                                                                                You should be asking what the TER (total expense ratio) is at a minimum, and then look into whether there are trading commissions or mgmt fees or bidffer spreads on exit to see how they are getting paid. If they have full discretion and get paid trading commissions that’s a very dangerous mix. If you have <100k then you should have it mostly in index based funds which are the cheapest to track, as the cost of paying an advisor to manage that wouldn’t be worth your while.

Comment

The real story behind tulip mania is actually far more interesting than the common myth. There's a great section on it in this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                                                                                                  Bought it and will report back, thanks

Comment

Looking for recommendations for a secondary email app for Android. I use Gmail for my primary email and Outlook is for my Hotmail account but what to setup a standalone app for my business email. Cheers in advance.
                                                                                                    "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Soaring Monarch ew 2.30 Roscommon
                                                                                                      Won handy, WP (although if it had been US racing he'd have been chucked out for the huge bump he gave when pulling out )

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                                        Looking for recommendations for a secondary email app for Android. I use Gmail for my primary email and Outlook is for my Hotmail account but what to setup a standalone app for my business email. Cheers in advance.
                                                                                                        is it a gmail account?
                                                                                                        very quick to switch accounts using gmail and you get notifications of both
                                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Anyone else spend a long time here looking for the pun?
                                                                                                          I need to be educated on the topic.

Comment

I need to be educated on the topic.
                                                                                                            shouldn't you just get your opinions off Twitter like everyone else?

Comment

FOMM - fear of missing moon

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

You should be asking what the TER (total expense ratio) is at a minimum, and then look into whether there are trading commissions or mgmt fees or bidffer spreads on exit to see how they are getting paid. If they have full discretion and get paid trading commissions that’s a very dangerous mix. If you have <100k then you should have it mostly in index-based funds which are the cheapest to track, as the cost of paying an advisor to manage that wouldn’t be worth your while.
                                                                                                                Thanks, that's very useful. I suspected I was getting a bad deal.

If it wasn't for the tax relief I would just lump an equivalent amount into index funds myself.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

is it a gmail account?
                                                                                                                  very quick to switch accounts using gmail and you get notifications of both
                                                                                                                  I use Gmail for my work and personal accounts. You can customise the sync and notifications on a per-account basis. This really sold it for me. The outlook app was just a pain in the hole tbh. Work is on manual sync so I don't get bombarded.

Comment

Sitting in the observation room at COViD vaccination centre surrounded by people my exact age.

The freaking state of 'em!!!
                                                                                                                    ​​​They're ancient.

Sad reality is that other people
                                                                                                                    must see me in the same light.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

I use Gmail for my work and personal accounts. You can customise the sync and notifications on a per-account basis. This really sold it for me. The outlook app was just a pain in the hole tbh. Work is on manual sync so I don't get bombarded.
                                                                                                                      This must be possible, I just haven't had time to look into it, but can you customise notifs in Gmail so you only get them during business hours?

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                                                                                                        Sitting in the observation room at COViD vaccination centre surrounded by people my exact age.

The freaking state of 'em!!!
                                                                                                                        ​​​They're ancient.

Sad reality is that other people
                                                                                                                        must see me in the same light.
                                                                                                                        invite them all to the after-jab party in your gaff

Comment

hmm, got my account restricted on Coral (where I hadn't bet for a long time) for the crime of having 20 quid on a 4/1 winner

I did like their response@
                                                                                                                          The reduction in your stake factor is due to a well-meaning attempt to monitor our liabilities for online transactions. This provides a fair opportunity for all customers who bet on the Internet. You are a valued customer and can assure you we do wish to attract, customers to our service whether they win or lose. We do though have a responsibility to run the business profitably and therefore we do restrict certain customers and certain bets. These restrictions also affect our promotional offers and regrettably, we are unable to override any decision made.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X