This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
    Speaking of houses - we're somewhat interested in this place (location not ideal for us but we could work it given the other positives), I think many would agree it's a lovely looking and finished house if the photos tell the correct tale.

The asking is a bit punchy in terms of €/sq foot but that's just where the market is right now I suppose and might be a grin-and-bear it situation, sure we're getting more per sq foot ourselves on the other side. Just been informed the current offer is €875K on it, and that's with zero physical viewings! For a 150 sq m house, that's borderline insane.
    It's lovely, that asking price is solid enough for the area. Dodder Park Road is sound out but be careful closer to the Dodder with flood risk being uninsurable.

The current "can only view once sale agreed" setup means that there are bids being thrown around that bear zero chance of being followed up on. Stay interested but stay sane - don't get caught up in the nonsense. https://propertypriceregisterireland.com will be very interesting in months to come (unfortunate 3 month lag). We spotted that 3/4 houses we bid on got sold at just above our final price, but some went for Moon Money. Also a couple have come back onto the market since (one twice, with a €110k uplift!).

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
      Interesting. 30% clears in 18months. 10% in 4-5years.
      Let’s say for comparison sake, it’s 14.4% and takes 3 years.

Could you take the 50k, convert to stablecoin and deposit again. Collect 25k and deposit. Collect 12.5k, repeat to conclusion.

They should all clear in the same 3 years. By my calculations the yield jumps from 14.4 to almost 26%. Possible?
      Yes, it would be quite convoluted but you could do that if you wanted. All these systems are permissionless. There are simpler ways to get similar yield though.

Comment

Speaking of houses - we're somewhat interested in this place (location not ideal for us but we could work it given the other positives), I think many would agree it's a lovely looking and finished house if the photos tell the correct tale.

The asking is a bit punchy in terms of €/sq foot but that's just where the market is right now I suppose and might be a grin-and-bear it situation, sure we're getting more per sq foot ourselves on the other side. Just been informed the current offer is €875K on it, and that's with zero physical viewings! For a 150 sq m house, that's borderline insane.
        I was going to say, it looks like one of those dream 'no work required' houses which immediately whacks an extra 20% on.

You need to be looking at the 'falling down kip' market
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

900k for a three bed seems a bit steep. Can you whack a bedroom up top if needed later?

I'd check that back garden for summer evening sunlight.

Very close to the mean streets of Terenure too.

Comment

it's more Roughfarnham than Terenure truth be told.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
              Yes, it would be quite convoluted but you could do that if you wanted. All these systems are permissionless. There are simpler ways to get similar yield though.
              I’d be interested in a simpler way to guarantee 25%+.
              (Current 30% would come out 50%+).

Although, I’ve staked a coins that yielding 15-20%. But price as tripled in 4 months.

Comment

ionapaul, if you stake your mortgage money using the 'strategy' above, in 2 years you could be living here - https://www.myhome.ie/residential/br...blin-6/4491563
                * This does not constitute financial advice

Comment

Monorail?

Any links to crypto investment information that you might be willing to share(for dummies)

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I was going to say, it looks like one of those dream 'no work required' houses which immediately whacks an extra 20% on.

You need to be looking at the 'falling down kip' market
                    I think a good 10% of the current bid is based on the - again admittedly excellent - staging of the photos. The nighttime ones are a great idea and no doubt have excited minds with thoughts of evening entertaining out in the garden! Most of the houses we're looking at are not too far off walk-in condition but none are anything like the price/sq ft of that bid... Maybe that location is much more attractive than I thought, having lived fairly nearby on a few different occasions.

We've bid on a few houses at this point, are still in the running for one or two, and I've followed a few other bidding processes recently, this is the first one that has blown my mind.

Comment

Lovely finish to be fair, good job on the garden too, can see why it would appeal, actually €600/sqft is about right territory.
                      Last edited by Goodluck2me; 14-04-21, 14:03. Reason: Numbers muddled

Comment

Bernie Madoff gone... 82

Comment

I’d be interested in a simpler way to guarantee 25%+.
                          (Current 30% would come out 50%+).

Although, I’ve staked a coins that yielding 15-20%. But price as tripled in 4 months.
                          Hectorjelly Very interesting, where would be good to read more

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Hectorjelly Very interesting, where would be good to read more
                            Good primer here: https://www.coindesk.com/defi-yield-...oken-explained

This guy does good tutorials - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI2YW_enZcE

I haven't watched this video, but I found his in-depth tutorials very good.

If you want to zoom out a bit and understand why the yields are so high, this video is excellent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ6MQsjOS0I

The host is a former poker player

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                              Bernie Madoff gone... 82
                              didn't the sons end up blowing the whistle on him?

Comment

didn't the sons end up blowing the whistle on him?
                                Can’t remember how it initially unfolded, I’d say he’d have written a hell of an autobiography.

Comment

Apparently he never apologised or acknowledged his crimes

Comment

Just looked at ionapaul's dream house again.

What is with the current fashion for turning the downstairs WC into a full-on bathroom (i.e. shower included)?

I don't get it, who the hell is ever going to shower downstairs unless you have an invalid in the gaff, in which case you shouldn't be living in a multi-story anyway! Our architect was mad keen to get us to do it as well - this on top of a 'normal' bathroom upstairs plus a shower in the master ensuite.

Comment

no side entrance either ionap! deduct marks

Comment

What is with the current fashion for turning the downstairs WC into a full-on bathroom (i.e. shower included)?

I don't get it, who the hell is ever going to shower downstairs unless you have an invalid in the gaff, in which case you shouldn't be living in a multi-story anyway! Our architect was mad keen to get us to do it as well - this on top of a 'normal' bathroom upstairs plus a shower in the master ensuite.
                                        I've read previously that bathrooms are one of the few rooms in the house that upgrading will affect the value of the home, kitchen's being another. How correct that is I don't know.
                                        I do find it mad when you start having more bathrooms than other rooms though. I'd rather have the space that 3rd/4th/5th bathroom is taking up.

Comment

Was gonna say this earlier too. Have seen some redic versions (i.e. hall into sitting room and then downstairs bathroom)

Comment

Downstairs bathroom in my old house was a wet room. Shower never used once in 10 years. Was occasionally handy when kids had accidents or were puking.
                                            Last edited by horatio1; 14-04-21, 17:23.

Comment

First time cooking swordfish today. Hugely successful.
                                              Recipe here https://www.themediterraneandish.com...rdfish-recipe/

Went with the mixed bean salad with red pepper and cucumber to accompany it.
                                              PM Lazare for pics.

Comment

Ha, now just want to be clear this house was only one we were half interested in, I only found about about the bidding as I inquired as to the possibility of a physical viewing, would not have bid without that. There's feck all out there so trying to view most places that tick 75%+ of our wants and needs. Still fairly certain we'll end up in Sandyford, Stepaside, Dundrum area in a 'no need to move again' sized house, for me that's 150 sq m and bigger, with an attic conversion or the possibility of one at least. Actually viewing three houses this week, which is good going considering it's not really allowed!

Comment

Ha, now just want to be clear this house was only one we were half interested in, I only found about about the bidding as I inquired as to the possibility of a physical viewing, would not have bid without that. There's feck all out there so trying to view most places that tick 75%+ of our wants and needs. Still fairly certain we'll end up in Sandyford, Stepaside, Dundrum area in a 'no need to move again' sized house, for me that's 150 sq m and bigger, with an attic conversion or the possibility of one at least. Actually viewing three houses this week, which is good going considering it's not really allowed!
                                                  150 sq/m seems pretty limiting when looking for Dublin houses (especially when you consider attics generally aren't included). Only a fairly small % of houses would be greater than that? Especially ones built last century...

Comment

Interesting. 30% clears in 18months. 10% in 4-5years.
                                                    Let’s say for comparison sake, it’s 14.4% and takes 3 years.

Could you take the 50k, convert to stablecoin and deposit again. Collect 25k and deposit. Collect 12.5k, repeat to conclusion.

They should all clear in the same 3 years. By my calculations the yield jumps from 14.4 to almost 26%. Possible?
                                                    https://youtu.be/uuVh36vQkSI
                                                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

150 sq/m seems pretty limiting when looking for Dublin houses (especially when you consider attics generally aren't included). Only a fairly small % of houses would be greater than that? Especially ones built last century...
                                                      If we end up in an estate we're looking at in Stepaside the houses are 180 pre attic, 205+ when the attic is done. But we also are trying to bear in mind our current place is 92 sq m and the house I grew up in in Galway is a very roomy 160, so I've no doubt that 150 or even slightly less would be enough. Just want to find somewhere that we won't need to move on from in the future if possible.

There are only four of us, three in one room until the baby is 12 months old, and this number will not be increasing, so I'm laughing thinking back to my childhood in this nice 4-bed detached house in Galway, that saw many years with 7 people living in it! Not to mention the squeeze that my father must have lived with growing up in Valentia Island in the 50s/60s, parents and eight children in a pretty small three-bed house. And he'll swear blind those were wonderful days.

Comment

<200 covid patients in hospital.

Can't remember the last time that was the case. November maybe?

Comment

<200 covid patients in hospital.

Can't remember the last time that was the case. November maybe?
                                                          Until yesterday, 16th December was the last time there was less than 200 in hospital.

Comment

I'd be reluctant to link a property I was interested in. I would imagine estate agents have access to all manner of analytics on these listings. Clicks could be seen interest which could keep the price firm.

Looking at a half acre site in near Athenry subject to planning for 45k. Young lad 18 now and should suffice for local housing need argument.
                                                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Hitch getting spam mentioned by Eoin McGee on insta.
                                                              how did the radio piece go?
                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                Hitch getting spam mentioned by Eoin McGee on insta.
                                                                how did the radio piece go?
                                                                Not Hitch
                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Brother and his wife are both vets, they have a shower room on way into house and washing machine etc beside so keeps rest of house clean. He also has a small office beside it, so all their post and documents go there and nowhere else, keeps clutter to a minimum.
                                                                  Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                  https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Surely depends on how many kids one have. Makes it easier and quicker for all to get ready in the morning if one kid take forever in the bathroom.
                                                                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

First sea swim of the year today.

And by swim, I mean, jumping into the Irish sea, shrieking like a little girl, struggling to catch my breath due to the icy cold nature of the water, flapping about for around 60 seconds and then getting out.

It felt fucking great!

Comment

Apparently he never apologised or acknowledged his crimes
                                                                        That sounds unusual for a conman, I presume most try to repent and reinvent like the wolf of Wall Street.

Would have made the autobiography all the more interesting if it wasn’t tainted by fake remorse.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Surely depends on how many kids one have. Makes it easier and quicker for all to get ready in the morning if one kid take forever in the bathroom.
                                                                          I have 3 and it's never a problem that having a third shower would make a difference to.
                                                                          Mind you one kid likes showering at midnight, another likes to jump in 5 mins before school starts and the third claims to be allergic to soap and water.

Sticking by my claim that it's fucking stupid and probably the No 1 thing wrong with modern society. Ronnie Drew, Winston Churchill or Ghandhi would not have stood for such nonsense.

Comment

It comes form Part M of the building regs. House, including bathroom should be wheelchair accessible.

Comment

It comes form Part M of the building regs. House, including bathroom should be wheelchair accessible.
                                                                              All private houses? Seems like that is unnecessarily prescriptive. It's definitely not being followed either.

(and I say this as someone whose better half works in the disability sector and constantly clucks at public amenities that are not wheelchair friendly)

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                ionapaul, if you stake your mortgage money using the 'strategy' above, in 2 years you could be living here - https://www.myhome.ie/residential/br...blin-6/4491563
                                                                                * This does not constitute financial advice
                                                                                Is it just me ? But, the badly made beds in most of these house for sale pics, not just the above grinds my gears ! Whomever is taking the pics should spend a few hours in a hotel learning to make a bed properly. You are looking for 1.5mm ffs.
                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

I have 3 and it's never a problem that having a third shower would make a difference to.
                                                                                  Mind you one kid likes showering at midnight, another likes to jump in 5 mins before school starts and the third claims to be allergic to soap and water.

Sticking by my claim that it's fucking stupid and probably the No 1 thing wrong with modern society. Ronnie Drew, Winston Churchill or Ghandhi would not have stood for such nonsense.
                                                                                  Thus speaketh the man who has yet to experience the full force of the phenomenon of the teenage daughter

Never mind the number of showers put a timer on the ones you have IMO

Comment

All private houses? Seems like that is unnecessarily prescriptive. It's definitely not being followed either.

(and I say this as someone whose better half works in the disability sector and constantly clucks at public amenities that are not wheelchair friendly)
                                                                                    The state picks up most of the tab for retrofitting homes to help people to live in them when elderly, seems reasonable to mandate some part of the work being prepared in advance. According to an OT I spoke to the average age of entry to nursing homes is significantly older for people living in bungalow's than those with stairs.

Comment

I released my third song today - https://open.spotify.com/track/1nfGo...a791c1b1ad4e48

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Thus speaketh the man who has yet to experience the full force of the phenomenon of the teenage daughter

Never mind the number of showers put a timer on the ones you have IMO
                                                                                        Eldest is 14 and a half. I'm there dude.

Comment

... Very good mix of music here, original for sure and love the picture on spotify!... Curious why was there talking/ laughter at 1:12?...

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

I'd be reluctant to link a property I was interested in. I would imagine estate agents have access to all manner of analytics on these listings. Clicks could be seen interest which could keep the price firm.
                                                                                            For sure, for any property we're actually going to/are bidding on, I'm keeping private! It's only the ones we have ruled out that I'd share.

Comment

My downstairs WC is coming on grand. Not wide enough for wheelchair access but will do until I get proper OT walk through for changes to the house.
                                                                                              Much thanks to balfejohn for the help and price. It also turns out that the fitter grew up beside the missus and her dad.
                                                                                              Last edited by DeadParrot; 15-04-21, 11:44.
                                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I have a kid who is properly ambidextrous; looks like I need to get her into tennis.This is pretty cool, wonder if it can be exploited as he gets older?

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post

... Very good mix of music here, original for sure and love the picture on spotify!... Curious why was there talking/ laughter at 1:12?...
                                                                                                  I'll let HJ give you the official answer obviously but to me it sounds like you'd expect a jazz club/small misic venue to sound like and the way the laugh tails off and into the next piece of music adds an air of authenticity to it.

I'm sure it will come as no surprise to HJ that this music isn't to my tastes at all but I've listened to all your tunes and best of luck with them.

Comment

Really like that one, my favourite of the 3! Cover art of all three are class too!
                                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Almost emailed a customer telling them I'm just back from dick leave.
                                                                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post

Cheers! Dobby's answer underneath is pretty good. There are snippets of talking and laugher in most of the songs...all just part of the vibe!

Comment

I'm now the proud owner of:

- A plot of non-descript virtual land in The Sandbox on which somehow a game must be built
                                                                                                          - Loads of DOTs and ADAs and a few SANDs
                                                                                                          - Some Korean footballers possibly unknown to even their own mothers

I'm going to get me some Axies and then sit back and assess the risk weighting of my new portfolio.
                                                                                                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I have a kid who is properly ambidextrous; looks like I need to get her into tennis.This is pretty cool, wonder if it can be exploited as he gets older?
                                                                                                            Also MULTI-sexual I see -is that a term? Anyway best wishes to she /he

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post

Also MULTI-sexual I see -is that a term? Anyway best wishes to she /he
                                                                                                              I meant the kid in the article.

But these days, who knows. We are all gender fluid now father.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                                I hope you remembered to sign off with 'Kind Retards'

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                                  I e-mailed HR before asking them to try find some other candidates as the last two's testes were terrible.

Comment

Biden doesn't seem to be taking any shit from the Russians (unlike his predecessor).

Although, long-term, population trends + decarbonisation means Russia is fucked anyway. And Putin and his pals have already stolen everything that is worth stealing.

Comment

Biden doesn't seem to be taking any shit from the Russians (unlike his predecessor).

Although, long-term, population trends + decarbonisation means Russia is fucked anyway. And Putin and his pals have already stolen everything that is worth stealing.
                                                                                                                      Russia is the only debt free major power in the world. Debt paid down by... emm... Putin, to stop them going through cycles of bankruptcy like Argentina. Its a weird way of fucking up a country. Russia has about as much chance of being fucked as Australia. Less even. Its full of every possible natural resource in a world with dwindling national resources. And no country has ever been wealthy and had a population trend problem.
                                                                                                                      ​​​

Comment

And I'm not sure why we'd welcome any more nation bashing. Its always 90% driven by domestic morals, domestic power plays, and domestic budget arguments.
                                                                                                                        ​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                                          And I'm not sure why we'd welcome any more nation bashing. Its always 90% driven by domestic morals, domestic power plays, and domestic budget arguments.
                                                                                                                          ​​​
                                                                                                                          Nation bashing is one of our oldest pleasures.

Go on, say something derogatory about the Nepalese. You'll feel good after.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X