This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Whats wrong with cardano? In general markets are pretty decent at filtering out good ideas from bad, so its not just randomly the 6th largest ranked crypto.
    That's quite a statement. This is a year in which markets bought Hertz when it was bankrupt and propelled Gamestop to the moon! Whatever about normal markets, crypto markets do not operate efficiently.

Cardano has no working product and is competing with Ethereum, which enjoys gigantic network effects and is actually working. The chance of any smart contract overtaking ETH is slim, but there are many pretenders to the crown. Binance smart chain, Solana, Polkadot, Cardano. Of those Cardano has the least chance. I don't think there's a zero chance it wins the smart contract wars, but it's a massive underdog currently.

Not having a working product is in some ways a boon, because you can promise anything. The head developer Charles Hoskinson is quite a figure of fun in the crypto space.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Is every single cent of yours locked up in this? Why not?

Serious question.
      Because it's more a novelty than a useful protocol - there are many more attractive ways to deploy capital in crypto. The idea is cool though, a loan that pay itself off. (Note that it's a overcollateralized loan. You are effectively just taking the interest in advance.)

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

That's quite a statement. This is a year in which markets bought Hertz when it was bankrupt and propelled Gamestop to the moon! Whatever about normal markets, crypto markets do not operate efficiently.

Cardano has no working product and is competing with Ethereum, which enjoys gigantic network effects and is actually working. The chance of any smart contract overtaking ETH is slim, but there are many pretenders to the crown. Binance smart chain, Solana, Polkadot, Cardano. Of those Cardano has the least chance. I don't think there's a zero chance it wins the smart contract wars, but it's a massive underdog currently.

Not having a working product is in some ways a boon, because you can promise anything. The head developer Charles Hoskinson is quite a figure of fun in the crypto space.
        I think they operate quite efficiently.

Eth smart contracts is broken, and it can't realistically be fixed even by Eth 2.0. So whatever ethereum becomes it won't be a regular smart contract player as it just doesn't have capacity in any reasonable formulation. So I'm essentially looking out for an alternative.

I'm reasonably happy the main alternative is between cardano and polkadot and that cardano is ahead. The market also agrees.
        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Plus, if it becomes clear that someone else is pulling ahead from my usage of NFT markets, then I can just pull the money out. I'm not just buying and forgetting. I have the side advantage of being involved in these markets so should be able to feel the underlying trends. Maybe. Thats the idea anyway. But probably you feel the same way about defi.

Comment

I think they operate quite efficiently.

Eth smart contracts is broken, and it can't realistically be fixed even by Eth 2.0. So whatever ethereum becomes it won't be a regular smart contract player as it just doesn't have capacity in any reasonable formulation. So I'm essentially looking out for an alternative.

I'm reasonably happy the main alternative is between cardano and polkadot and that cardano is ahead. The market also agrees.
            I'd love to know how you came to these conclusions!

Also, whatever amount you were planning on buying of Cardano, let's have a wager for that amount, on it overtaking ETH in market cap. I'm sure a man with your illustrious gambling career can propose something suitable in terms of odds and dates.

Edit - also the mark cuban episode of uponly is worth a watch, he's a big proponent of NFT's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ54n8_WS7c

Comment

I'd love to know how you came to these conclusions!

Also, whatever amount you were planning on buying of Cardano, let's have a wager for that amount, on it overtaking ETH in market cap. I'm sure a man with your illustrious gambling career can propose something suitable in terms of odds and dates.

Edit - also the mark cuban episode of uponly is worth a watch, he's a big proponent of NFT's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ54n8_WS7c
              I don't think that! I think there's space for the current market size of $32bn, or whatever it is, to grow, thats it - as in, if they are first to the market with decent smart contacts, as it looks like they might be if August update goes to plan, then could traders push them up to a 100bn value - seems like they could. Can't imagine it would ever overtake ETH. I'm not sure though on any of this, and thats why I'm only playing around for now - trying out a few different things to get a feel for the market. Probably with a decent likelihood of losing everything.

Comment

No he didn't.

He clearly deletes all old tweets, as he only has 12,700 tweets on his account at the moment. So whatever was deleted was caught up in a past cleaning out. Precisely as people will go back and point at old tweets. Everyone should delete their old tweets.
                I saw someone retweet it shortly after show was aired
                airport, lol

Comment

NNNGH is the next smart contract crypto to blow up , white paper is amazing. You can stake it interest free for 15% commission on the GEE network or park it in a delegation pool for a year then take it out after getting 50% of GASH rewards so a bit of a no brainier. Has a good team and I read and article where VISA were mentioned so only way is up
                  “PSV was right all along” -Hitch 20 May 2019

Comment

Brits absolutely disgracing themselves yet again with the maudlin cap doffing orgy in the wake of Phils death.

really looking forward to the vaccine propaganda win wearing off and watching the get reamed by the consequences of brexit.
                    “PSV was right all along” -Hitch 20 May 2019

Comment

The world's largest rabbit has been kidnapped.

. Impressively large tbf
                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Went for a walk along Skerries beach yesterday and it was fkn bliss. Proper fresh air, bitta scenery, got to see my family for the first time since Christmas. Thank fuck lockdown is nearly done.
                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I tried to change channel on the TV with my mobile phone earlier, so I have sympathy for that whole taser/gun misunderstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                            I tried to change channel on the TV with my mobile phone earlier, so I have sympathy for that whole taser/gun misunderstanding.
                            Does a taser resemble a gun? Like, is it a reasonable mistake to make if you unholster one instead of the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Does a taser resemble a gun? Like, is it a reasonable mistake to make if you unholster one instead of the other.
                              Pics of the equipment here.
                              https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...taser-gun.html

The design seems to be too similar, with a fist grip and a trigger.
                              But even so

Comment

I see the US have now stopped Johnson and Johnson for the same reason as AZ. It seems like those national medicine agencies were actually doing some good after all. This is going to be a disaster for any summer plans.

Comment

Pics of the equipment here.
                                  https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...taser-gun.html

The design seems to be too similar, with a fist grip and a trigger.
                                  But even so
                                  Seems like you should know what the hell you're pulling out based on this:

Tasers are often produced in bright colors, or with neon accents, to distinguish them from pistols. The Brooklyn Center Police Department manual cites the Glock 17, 19 and 26 as standard-issue for the department. All three pistol models weigh significantly more than a typical Taser. Glocks also have a trigger safety that can be felt when touching the trigger. Tasers do not. Grips on Tasers are typically different from those of firearms, as well, though they may feel similar because both are usually made of a similar type of polymer.

“If you train enough, you should be able to tell,” said Scott A. DeFoe, a retired sergeant with the Los Angeles Police Department.

Comment

Panicked and reverted to the lowest part of her training I guess ie draw weapon and protect yourself.

Comment

I see the US have now stopped Johnson and Johnson for the same reason as AZ. It seems like those national medicine agencies were actually doing some good after all. This is going to be a disaster for any summer plans.
                                      Now you know what to do with your AIB dosh Hitch. RNA based vaccines. NDQ - BNTX, NSY - PFE, NDQ -MRNA. Get in before 'second wave'.

https://www.thejournal.ie/australia-...04546-Apr2021/
                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Slithered back North yesterday for my first dose, Pfizer with zero ill effects to add to sample size. Dose 2 date 21st June. Flu/bad hangover symptoms for 48 hours reported by 4 out of 8 people I know who have who have got their 2nd already,
                                        Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                        https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

I've become convinced over the months that there are lots more potholes on the roads of Dublin since the pandemic. Googling the issue there suggests a possible reason. For potholes to get fixed someone has to report them, with less people driving that is resulting in less reporting of potholes. Perhaps also the kind of person to report a pothole is a civic minded person who is staying at home and not driving anywhere at all really.

Comment

I wonder if there are racist cops out there who have tasered a black man harmless instead of shooting him dead for Jay walking and are presently cursing their luck they pulled put the wrong weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                              I've become convinced over the months that there are lots more potholes on the roads of Dublin since the pandemic. Googling the issue there suggests a possible reason. For potholes to get fixed someone has to report them, with less people driving that is resulting in less reporting of potholes. Perhaps also the kind of person to report a pothole is a civic minded person who is staying at home and not driving anywhere at all really.
                                              Drawing dicks around them is best way to get them fixed

Comment

So what was my son doing before the double decker bus hit him?

Drawing dicks around potholes mam. He died a hero

Comment

Or "A self portrait of [insert town planners name] mothers hole."

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                    Actually now that I think of it there was a lad I knew back then who IIRC would have been on that course. maybe dropped out after first year, who went on to set up a very famous investment business along those lines

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breifne_O%27Brien
                                                    Yikes, didn't know the more famous brother was also a grifter https://archive.ph/20130203050439/ht...x.php?aid=7922

Any insider story there GAB or anyone?
                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Yikes, didn't know the more famous brother was also a grifter https://archive.ph/20130203050439/ht...x.php?aid=7922

Any insider story there GAB or anyone?
                                                      Yeah that was nasty, would have been too small an amount for him to bother getting Mammy to bail him out, again

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Went down a rabbit hole of fraudster articles whilst googling Breiffne just now.

Here's an interesting woman just bailed by the High Court a few weeks ago whilst on the run from the UK authorities.
                                                        https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/...t-1102409.html

Quite the wiki page she has to her name.
                                                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farah_Damji

Be careful out there.

Comment

Can you send in the chimichuri and pesto recipes plz, they look great.

Comment

Last assignment submitted and the most enjoyable topic I studied this year. The Scientific Revolution. 1st year of college done and dusted. Not a sentence I ever thought I'd type after dropping out of school at 16 but here we are.

Shout out to Hitch for giving advice throughout the year. Shows the value of this place again where I can just pop a message off and get a wealth of knowledge.

Burgers and beer time.

Comment

sweet, the year's done?! feckin layabout students

Comment

Went down a rabbit hole of fraudster articles whilst googling Breiffne just now.

Here's an interesting woman just bailed by the High Court a few weeks ago whilst on the run from the UK authorities.

Be careful out there.
                                                                Wow, she's a piece of work.
                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Be careful out there.

Think we've found our kidnapper!

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                                    Slithered back North yesterday for my first dose, Pfizer with zero ill effects to add to sample size. Dose 2 date 21st June. Flu/bad hangover symptoms for 48 hours reported by 4 out of 8 people I know who have who have got their 2nd already,
                                                                    Going in tomorrow for my first one. 2nd one booked for end of June. Feels like a long time coming but happy the day is finally here.

Comment

That's your answer to everything!

Comment

The clear answer here is to keep a handful of free-range geese that are prone to the odd ramble. Years back we had a few geese (wings not clipped) and they were prone to two things:

- Smacking people with their wings when you met their disapproval. It's very sore, believe me.
                                                                        - Flying away for a few hours or days as they saw fit.

A few hundred metres down the road from my home place was a fairly epic crater in the middle of the road. It was full to the brim of rainwater and who decided to start bathing themselves there? Only our lovely geese of course. This probably happened lots of times without us know but on one day in particular the local paper's photographer happened upon this scene and snapped away contently. I don't know if he got close enough to get a belt of their wings but he definitely would have remembered it.

All of this was unbeknownst to us of course. That is until the local newspaper gave them a spot on the front page. County council arrived within days and said pothole was repaired.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                          Can you send in the chimichuri and pesto recipes plz, they look great.
                                                                          Chimichuri is usually made with parsley but I subbed that out and stuck in the wild garlic.

I had 150g of wild garlic leaves (I didn't use the stalks as that's what I learnt to do but not sure if others do or not). Lash them into a blitzer with two good pinches of salt and a good lug of olive oil. Blitz it up until it's like a pesto (add more oil as/if you need it to get the right consistency). Once done, add in the following, all roughly chopped; 1 shallot, 4 cloves of garlic, 2 green jalapeno chillies and 1 red habanero chillie (If you can't get them, just lash in a few of whatever chillies you can get) Leave seeds in/take out to your own taste. Blitz it all up again. Take it out of the blitzer and add 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar, then season well with pepper and a bit more salt to your own taste.

For the pesto, I again had 150g of the wild garlic leaves. Into the blitzer along with 50g of parmesan, 50g of toasted pine nuts (done in a dry frying pan), 1 clove of garlic, zest of half a lemon plus a few squeezes of lemon juice and rapeseed oil. Again, add enough oil as you go to get it to the right consistency. Blitz it all up and then season to taste.

Comment

You're not wrong! There is a lot of roads in shit condition at the minute. I think a lot of damage was done around the last really bad cold snap we got but there doesn't seem to be much going on to fix them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                              You're not wrong! There is a lot of roads in shit condition at the minute. I think a lot of damage was done around the last really bad cold snap we got but there doesn't seem to be much going on to fix them.
                                                                              Contact a Healy Rae. Not even joking. They'd only be more than happy to bring it up in the Dail about how they fixed the Dublin roads

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Contact a Healy Rae. Not even joking. They'd only be more than happy to bring it up in the Dail about how they fixed the Dublin roads
                                                                                I'd rather drive through adult elephant sized potholes

Comment

What do you eat the chimichuri with?
                                                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                    Everything!!!

Grilled meats/Steak etc
                                                                                    PMA

Comment

Anything you want. I had a bit with my scrambled eggs this morning but it's often served with grilled meats.

There will be steaks on the bbq on Thursday night and lashings of chimichuri.

Comment

Alma in Dublin does the most ridic brilliant steak with chimichurri for brunch. Way better than any French creamy sauce.

Comment

Good shout on the chimichurri. Must try make a gremolata with it too
                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

I watched Sexy Beast last night. Ray Winstone, Kingsley Amis and Lovejoy in a fantastic mid-nineties crime film. Really excellent.

Edit: actually 2000
                                                                                            Last edited by Hectorjelly; 14-04-21, 06:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                              Chimichuri is usually made with parsley but I subbed that out and stuck in the wild garlic.

I had 150g of wild garlic leaves (I didn't use the stalks as that's what I learnt to do but not sure if others do or not). Lash them into a blitzer with two good pinches of salt and a good lug of olive oil. Blitz it up until it's like a pesto (add more oil as/if you need it to get the right consistency). Once done, add in the following, all roughly chopped; 1 shallot, 4 cloves of garlic, 2 green jalapeno chillies and 1 red habanero chillie (If you can't get them, just lash in a few of whatever chillies you can get) Leave seeds in/take out to your own taste. Blitz it all up again. Take it out of the blitzer and add 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar, then season well with pepper and a bit more salt to your own taste.

For the pesto, I again had 150g of the wild garlic leaves. Into the blitzer along with 50g of parmesan, 50g of toasted pine nuts (done in a dry frying pan), 1 clove of garlic, zest of half a lemon plus a few squeezes of lemon juice and rapeseed oil. Again, add enough oil as you go to get it to the right consistency. Blitz it all up and then season to taste.
                                                                                              Thanks, do you think a pestle and mortar would be suitable instead of a blender. Will give it a go this week and see, would be nice with hummus and pitta/flat bread too I suspect, but I asked for it so I could pair it with a steak. Cheers

Comment

Cracking goose story, Coillcam. Vintage stuff.
                                                                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

I remember those (though possibly not from Tesco), even as a kid you'd know that was at the lowest end of shitty food
                                                                                                  Yeah, there was just real a taste and texture of fake meat off them. Stood out even next to kids diet of bland reformed meat in breadcrumbs.

Comment

Thanks, do you think a pestle and mortar would be suitable instead of a blender. Will give it a go this week and see, would be nice with hummus and pitta/flat bread too I suspect, but I asked for it so I could pair it with a steak. Cheers
                                                                                                    Yeah, you can totally use a pestle and mortar, no problem with that

Comment

Pesto made with pestle and mortar >>>>> made with a blender

Comment

I've always been a bit amused by the bullshit that goes with mortgage approval, the likes of everyone having to pretend that they never lost a couple of hundred on a bet as evidence that they are never going to develop a gambling problem and I thought the limit was being asked about money going into a savings account for a godchild. Then I heard something being taken as a matter of routine in a discussion with a couple of mortgage brokers and financial advisors today.
                                                                                                        A woman who has mortgage approval but is struggling to find a suitable house was concerned at how long it will take her to find a house as she is hoping to start a family soon but said that if she does she will lose her mortgage approval as her calculation will have changed. The financial advisors seemed to think this was perfectly normal!
                                                                                                        WTaF
                                                                                                        What sort of level of delusion are these gobshites in the banks working off? Do they really expect that young women are not ever going to start families once they have bought a home?
                                                                                                        Words fail me

Comment

Speaking of delusional moneygrabbing cunce

Comment

There's a new defi protocol that caused quite a stir when some traditional finance people heard about it. You deposit 100k of stablecoin into it. You can then borrow 50k against this to do whatever you want with. In the background the protocol generates yield with your collateral, and the yield pays back the loan. You don't have to pay a penny In a few years the loan is paid off, and you can take out the 100k. This is many things, but boring isn't one of them.
                                                                                                            How long is a few years? I’d assume 3-4 years (10-15% yield).
                                                                                                            Is the borrowed 50% complete free to do with as you wish. There’s a somewhat obvious way to have the yield is so.

Comment

I've always been a bit amused by the bullshit that goes with mortgage approval, the likes of everyone having to pretend that they never lost a couple of hundred on a bet as evidence that they are never going to develop a gambling problem and I thought the limit was being asked about money going into a savings account for a godchild. Then I heard something being taken as a matter of routine in a discussion with a couple of mortgage brokers and financial advisors today.
                                                                                                              A woman who has mortgage approval but is struggling to find a suitable house was concerned at how long it will take her to find a house as she is hoping to start a family soon but said that if she does she will lose her mortgage approval as her calculation will have changed. The financial advisors seemed to think this was perfectly normal!
                                                                                                              WTaF
                                                                                                              What sort of level of delusion are these gobshites in the banks working off? Do they really expect that young women are not ever going to start families once they have bought a home?
                                                                                                              Words fail me
                                                                                                              It's fcuking insane.

A couple can be pregnant with their first, be viewed as having no dependants and therefore granted a larger mortgage to the tune of an extra 1,200 a month(Not sure exact figure but heard from bankers/brokers it's over 4 figures).

Been like that for years. Surely >80% of couples that buy a home together plan on having kids.

Not sure what the alternative is but surely there is a reason for it and not an oversight.
                                                                                                              And not forgetting it does suit people who buy a home pre baby.

I'd actually love to know the thinking behind it

Comment

WTaF
                                                                                                                Words fail me
                                                                                                                Do you think that every young woman is going to start a family shortly after they buy a home? Because that just as removed from the reality of the situation tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                                  Do you think that every young woman is going to start a family shortly after they buy a home? Because that just as removed from the reality of the situation tbh.

I'd say the average age of couples buying homes now is early 30s or so. Large % plan to start a family soon after.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                                    How long is a few years? I’d assume 3-4 years (10-15% yield).
                                                                                                                    Is the borrowed 50% complete free to do with as you wish. There’s a somewhat obvious way to have the yield is so.
                                                                                                                    It's variable The yield is 30% currently, but 10% is a more accurate estimate of what it will be in the long run. I You are free to do whatever you want with the loan, and you can pay it back yourself if you want the collateral back early.

Comment

Speaking of houses - we're somewhat interested in this place (location not ideal for us but we could work it given the other positives), I think many would agree it's a lovely looking and finished house if the photos tell the correct tale.

The asking is a bit punchy in terms of €/sq foot but that's just where the market is right now I suppose and might be a grin-and-bear it situation, sure we're getting more per sq foot ourselves on the other side. Just been informed the current offer is €875K on it, and that's with zero physical viewings! For a 150 sq m house, that's borderline insane.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                                                        A couple can be pregnant with their first, be viewed as having no dependants and therefore granted a larger mortgage to the tune of an extra 1,200 a month(Not sure exact figure but heard from bankers/brokers it's over 4 figures).
                                                                                                                        Of course an obviously pregnant women should be considered as having a dependent. That’s a insane line to take, statistically.

Been like that for years. Surely >80% of couples that buy a home together plan on having kids.
                                                                                                                        Probably about that. I’d assume that having an child after a few years is less of a burden than currently having a deal with those outgoings.
                                                                                                                        Ultimately, one is a potential change, the other a certainty.

I suppose that they could ask about “plans”. People could answer voluntarily. Obviously open to abuse.

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post

I'd say the average age of couples buying homes now is early 30s or so. Large % plan to start a family soon after.
                                                                                                                        As above. Sooner or later is not now. Sometimes it’s months, sometimes years, or not at all.
                                                                                                                        Somebody with a dependent, has those outgoings for a 100% certainty. Somebody buying a house, may have them shortly, but they may not. As a whole, the outgoings if the latter are lower.

I’m not saying it’s right to treat childless couples as if they never have children. I’m saying it’s equally wrong to treat them exactly the same as a couple who currently have children.
                                                                                                                        Last edited by Mellor; 14-04-21, 11:39.

Comment

It's variable The yield is 30% currently, but 10% is a more accurate estimate of what it will be in the long run. I You are free to do whatever you want with the loan, and you can pay it back yourself if you want the collateral back early.
                                                                                                                          Interesting. 30% clears in 18months. 10% in 4-5years.
                                                                                                                          Let’s say for comparison sake, it’s 14.4% and takes 3 years.

Could you take the 50k, convert to stablecoin and deposit again. Collect 25k and deposit. Collect 12.5k, repeat to conclusion.

They should all clear in the same 3 years. By my calculations the yield jumps from 14.4 to almost 26%. Possible?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X