• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'll all be giving up smoking next.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
      I’m sure there’s a lot of people questioning their relationship with booze after this past year I’ve definetly upped it., I went at it hard for Christmas end kept it up through January (when I say hard I mean 4 cans of +5% abv beer) but have reined it pretty much in to 1-2 nights now. I’m pretty much on the verge of stopping drinking at home now- it’s a bit pointless really and even very respectable sensible drinking chips away at your energy/time after a while.

that said I imagine the first time I have a freshly pulled pint of creamy draught Guinness in front of me when pubs open will go something like this

Fk ya anyway. Nothing in the gaff and now I need a Guinness and a packet of dry roasted peanuts .

Comment

Lazare

Longest I was off it was 6 weeks.
        Definitely had benefits, more energy and such.

Problem is when I started again it was not just for 2 nights a week now it was 3 or 4.

Nurse was telling me that thats often the case when I was in getting the ticker checked, you go back harder. They were asking me how much I had that week.This was xmas week so it was a ridiculously high unit amount. Bit of a laugh with the 2 nurses as we were working out the maths (litres etc) her with thr pen and paper and and me going through the 12 days of Christmas drinking.

Might put up a post about drinking later.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
          You'll all be giving up smoking next.
          Only a matter of time before the ol lockdown wanking crops up. Collie not so fast soldier.

Comment

Let's hear from another Irish genius on the subject of the booze (guess who without Googling for bonus marks):

The most important thing to remember about drunks is that drunks are far more intelligent than non-drunks. They spend a lot of time talking in pubs, unlike workaholics who concentrate on their careers and ambitions, who never develop their higher spiritual values, who never explore the insides of their head like a drunk does.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Fk ya anyway. Nothing in the gaff and now I need a Guinness and a packet of dry roasted peanuts .
              I ate salt and vinegar peanuts for the first time during the week. I imagine they would go mightily with a pint.

Comment

Let's hear from another Irish genius on the subject of the booze (guess who without Googling for bonus marks):
                Dave Allen ? Turned many a catholic telly off . I'm probably wrong considering he was only a genius in his engaging storytelling style as opposed to his material . Although some of his work haven't aged too badly

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

I ate salt and vinegar peanuts for the first time during the week. I imagine they would go mightily with a pint.
                  The nut nut?

@Solks, not DA

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                    that'd be the
                    https://sorare.com/r/deadparrot that I was on about a few times?
                    Indeed I made my first two auction purchases this week, so building up towards the five players that we both benefit from! Seemed the only way to get a decent goalkeeper.

I'm wondering about building up towards having three good teams that can be sent out nearly every week. It seems like the returns would be decent enough. Maybe 3k to build the three teams and could expect about $100 of returns a week. Fairly quickly pays for itself, but obviously it won't stay like that for long.
                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Only a matter of time before the ol lockdown wanking crops up. Collie not so fast soldier.
                      I still find it strange when people talk about wanking less than 3 times a day(like maybe in hospital). Remember being asked about the last time you had one in a college gay and lesbian society back in the day, and I was the only one who had to look at their watch.
                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Have heard some cracking stuff working the bar, ear wigging.

I think the best was in Kilcullen. Two real drinkers, pintmen. They were all hard boozers in that place.

These two at the bar were talking about one of them visiting the doctor.

'He told me if I don't give it up it's going to kill me real soon'

'Don't fucking mind him, those cunts only want to keep you alive to get more money out of ye'

'Yeah, yeah, you're right, fuck him'
                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I still find it strange when people talk about wanking less than 3 times a day(like maybe in hospital). Remember being asked about the last time you had one in a college gay and lesbian society back in the day, and I was the only one who had to look at their watch.
                          Have you maintained a steady schedule down the years or has your youthful vigour matured into a more discriminating timetable?

Comment

Good lol at this

Comment

I found heselfs pink fecking gin. A new low . What goes with pink gin ? I have a mixed flavour 20 pack of crisps and/or dark chocolate.

Comment

The nut nut?

@Solks, not DA
                                Dry roasted surely?

In other news I ended up listening to the Lankum album on Tim's tweet-along and it was enlightening - where the songs came from, the equipment they used, how they rehearsed, inspirations etc.... Well worth a rewind. The music's status continues to grow.

Then I tuned back in to The Man With The Golden Gun and the credits revealed that Lazare was played by Marne Maitland! (Make of that what you will).

And then James Bond Wiki gave me these timeless but pertinent words:

Lazare: "Mr. Bond, bullets do not kill. It is the finger that pulls the trigger."

James Bond: "Exactly. I am now aiming precisely at your groin. So speak or forever hold your piece."

Comment

Looking at the watch

Comment

Have you maintained a steady schedule down the years or has your youthful vigour matured into a more discriminating timetable?
                                    Pretty routine 3 times a day, during the week when working, maybe five on the weekends up till the bypass( aged 48). Takes a lot out of me now, though hopefully get my medication adjusted when my GP gets his ass in gear. Have an appointment for blood tests on May 10th that should have been done ages ago.

Comment

Another oul lad that used to sit at the bar every Sat night, would put away about 17 pint bottles of Guinness. 'Off the shelf, not out of the fridge'

Without fail by closing he would be asleep on the bar. His cheek on the bar asleep, mouth agape, with roaring crowds all around him, the band pumping.

I'd usually wake him to send him home at about 2am, although he'd periodically wake up, skull a bit of gargle and go back asleep.

One night, about 1.30am he woke up, grabbed his phone out of his pocket and rang a mate.

'Johnny, you wanna go on a session tomorrow? Great, great, I'll knock around to ye at about 12'

Hung up and went back asleep.

​​​​​​Funny but grim.

The grimmest bit was sometimes his 20 something son would join him. He'd also down pint bottles of Guinness and also fall asleep on the bar beside his oul fella.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

Dry roasted surely?

In other news I ended up listening to the Lankum album on Tim's tweet-along and it was enlightening - where the songs came from, the equipment they used, how they rehearsed, inspirations etc.... Well worth a rewind. The music's status continues to grow.

Then I tuned back in to The Man With The Golden Gun and the credits revealed that Lazare was played by Marne Maitland! (Make of that what you will).

And then James Bond Wiki gave me these timeless but pertinent words:

Lazare: "Mr. Bond, bullets do not kill. It is the finger that pulls the trigger."

James Bond: "Exactly. I am now aiming precisely at your groin. So speak or forever hold your piece."

Can you give us some cliffs on the Lankum thing?

I didn't get the chance to check it out.

Comment

Fckd up and all as Shane is he's just a wet brained cash cow who seems to be well looked after, poor Flann's last few years were utter misery that really shouldn't be romanticised at all. And yeah I do believe we could have had the writing without the self destruction.

Was just reading some bits from the best of Myles today and you can chart the decline
                                          Last edited by Strewelpeter; 16-04-21, 22:08.
                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Ah, looking back over the hashtag I'm gutted now that I missed that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Ratarsed again ?

Comment

I Googled him, I'm not sure what else to do to make something of that, and I'm very willing to do so. Would appreciate advice from others on what they have made of that.

Comment

It's all here on replay. Well worth a listen with them tweeting about myriad aspects of creating it.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                    I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way cos there was nothing wrong with ya before Dobster, but this new Dobby, the Uni nailing, grass shredding, drink cutting Dobby. He's class.
                                                    Ha. I'll take any compliment going tbh. Funny you should say this. Spoke to my Dad recently about how I could see/feel my life changing and how different I found college compared to when I was in school. And his reply was a typical aul lad reply but he nailed it imo.

It's called maturity mate.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

I Googled him, I'm not sure what else to do to make something of that, and I'm very willing to do so. Would appreciate advice from others on what they have made of that.
                                                      Sorry that was an in-joke to myself. There is nothing to make of it. Made you Google though...

Comment

Don’t know whether you’ve seen the news today that Marks and Spencer are suing Aldi over the similarities between ‘Colin the Caterpillar’ and ‘Cuthbert the Caterpillar’.. but Aldi’s social media feed tonight is a thing of beauty..

#freecuthbert

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                          Alright BBV,

That app I mentioned I was putting together has just been released.

It'll be useless in Ireland until I get some Irish customers but I'm tossing it in here in the hope that anyone who knows anyone that has a businesses that takes bookings might hook me up with a conversation.

Could you use it as an interview availability scheduler.

Time wasted on back and forth on when both parties will be free stretches processes out and I know I have lost more than a few deals because of it.

Best of luck with it

Comment

Think for me it was the bearded Trans from Israel winning that inspired me after a skinfull to go to Pantibar for more. What happened next is pure speculation.
                                                            Conchita Wurst from Austria! It was a glorious pinnacle. Hopefully the Eurovisions best days are ahead, but it's hard to see that ever being topped.
                                                            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Lazare if you love a beer cooking why not go for a non-alcoholic one? I've been on the Aldi "Early Start IPA" the last few weeks as I've realised I love a beer but am in no mood to be drunk these days looking after the wee one.

Am certain I won't be giving up drink for good, but it is v nice to have some decent options available to have a beer but not the booze.

Comment

Made a quick hit and run nifty (heads up) during the ad break (Stanley and Iris) My favourite hand , pair + nut straight draw × flush draw versus bare nonbelieving overpair

They're probably lucky I wanted to watch the film.
                                                                Last edited by dinekes; 17-04-21, 00:03. Reason: Irony - i blame the drink!

Comment

Thanks so much lads. I haven't even mentioned it to anyone bar my wife but knew the support here would be class as always.

SP really hitting the nail on the head with the bit about there not being room for it with a young family.

Rushing through the bed time story so you can crack open a beer is not good. Zombied on Sundays.

I made the decision three weeks ago, in my own mind that it was enough.

Had an alcohol related row with herself on the Sat night, stupid stuff, a ruined night and a really horrible Sunday. You regularly get that 'I'm giving this up' feeling on Sundays but this was different. Really felt like there was just no room for it anymore.

Re the label, I've a close family member that successfully went through AA in the 80s and changed their life completely, so I'm acutely aware of the importance of admitting to yourself that there's an issue.

I doubt I'll become teetotal, maybe I will, maybe I'll drink on occasion, but I just don't want it to be in the way anymore.

​​​
                                                                  Ya, thats different than me.

I'm more functioning. Collie is the same i'd guess from meeting him, others from here are different scales.

You are with your missus a long time too though so just take a breath and appreciate what you have built family wise and reflect. Dont panic.

Dont forget what you have been through and the delayed effect too.
                                                                  Last edited by Dice75; 17-04-21, 00:53.

Comment

Don’t know whether you’ve seen the news today that Marks and Spencer are suing Aldi over the similarities between ‘Colin the Caterpillar’ and ‘Cuthbert the Caterpillar’.. but Aldi’s social media feed tonight is a thing of beauty..

#freecuthbert
                                                                    EzHWafNXAAMCYOI?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Comment

Babies (not work) the curse of the drinking classes.

Comment

Babies (not work) the curse of the drinking classes.
                                                                        I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me.
                                                                        I dunno, this new-found abstinence vibe is disturbing. At least CC is wanking away at a furious pace. It's nice to have consistency in a world gone mad.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                          Lazare if you love a beer cooking why not go for a non-alcoholic one? I've been on the Aldi "Early Start IPA" the last few weeks as I've realised I love a beer but am in no mood to be drunk these days looking after the wee one.

Am certain I won't be giving up drink for good, but it is v nice to have some decent options available to have a beer but not the booze.
                                                                          Have subbed in ginger ale while cooking and it worked out well.

Will definitely miss the IPA flavour so will try that.

Comment

Lazare there’s a big difference, to me at least, between the problems caused by alcohol, and an alcohol problem. Very few alcoholics recognise their problems until it’s out of control. I think you’re a long way off a drinking problem. But by cutting down now, you’re preventing it becoming one. and means you can have the occasional beer in future. Whereas an alcoholic can’t ever have occasionally beers.

There’s many sundays, when I’ve been in ribbons, and I laughed at the idea of trying to function like a human with kids running around.

Comment

I really wouldn't drink non-alcoholic beer when trying to cut out drinking if I were you. It produces all manner of associations and will likely be a contributor to cravings.

Also don't believe anyone who tells you that you're not really an alcoholic or a problem drinker. They're trying to be kind, but they have no idea about the truth of it for you and your loved ones.

Best of luck with it. If you can tackle that then this time we next year we can begin to look at the serious problems regarding running and guitar playing.

Comment

Super excited for HJ

Comment

Very good point hotspur. Thank you.

Yep, there's plenty of insiduous stuff I didn't go into.

Actually feel concerned that my post may have caused some to feel a little worried about their own drinking habits, do hope that's not the case as everyone's situation is different, and as I said, there's more to it for me than what I laid out last night.

Have my 2022 place booked in guitar wankers anon

Comment

Have my 2022 place booked in guitar wankers anon
                                                                                    He he, I'm sitting here imagining the stories people would tell at that, how their guitar wankering was ruining all of their relationships, and how their loved ones just couldn't trust them anymore.

"And then my wife's mother told us that the cancer had returned and that it was only a matter of months. And, and...I dunno, even without me realising it, all of a sudden there I am playing Wonderwall."

Comment

I feel some classic Flann O'Brien poetry, yes poetry, is the only anectode to this puritan piety:

I think The Dubliners might have musicalized it too.

Fair play to you Laz.
                                                                                      I've been concious of my drinking recently. Lockdown life and particularly caring for the FIL has lead me to reaching for a beer most nights as a relaxer with dinner after getting everyone down
                                                                                      and the wife and I can relax.
                                                                                      Not a gang of cans but 2 or 3 stubbys wouldn't be unusual.
                                                                                      Limiting to the weekend is my current plan, last 2 weekends have gone like this more or less. I've an uneasy relationship with it, one of those "I can quit any time I want but I dont want to so I won't, which means you can't you fucking lush" monologues in my head most times I think of it.
                                                                                      Working for home has kinda removed the worry of getting into work with a sore head so I definitley feel, at least for me, it has contributed a bit.
                                                                                      Part of me feels my very concern about it means it's not an issue. Then again, part of me thinks that because I feel like it's not an issue, I'm in denial and as such have a problem

It's interesting you are worried you've caused others to reexamine their drinking.
                                                                                      I think it's a sign of the hivemind that a few of us have been already doing it internally and when one stepped forward, others felt comfortable enough to do the same.

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I've decided I am going to start a business with a friend. Is there some starting a business for dummies guide? As you can see I've put a lot of time into this.

Comment

Cheers Willie.

I think that's kinda the problem though (obv not as bad a problem as drinking at breakfast), it's very easy to dismiss to yourself.

Definitely not physically dependant. Mentally attached a little too closely though I would say.

A lot of habitual drinking, a beer while cooking etc.

Prob just have to work on breaking those habits.
                                                                                          if you moved to Spain this would be normal as would dinner at your usual hour. Just saying is all

Also want to point out that I left before Onlyfans was even a thing so I'm not in that 1% of gazillionaires though I surely would be if I was bothered doing it
                                                                                          Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                            I've decided I am going to start a business with a friend. Is there some starting a business for dummies guide? As you can see I've put a lot of time into this.
                                                                                            Setting up a Ltd company is a piece of piss, just throw a few hundo at an accountant
                                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Have subbed in ginger ale while cooking and it worked out well.

I see hotspur beat me to it, but I will say it anyway, barman to barman!
                                                                                              If possible I'd avoid non alcoholic beer, especially if it was a routine issue as you're not really breaking the routine...if the routine was sitting in a bar with mates, then I think they may have a place but beer when cooking etc ...that is a habit you are trying to break, so best to break it

Ginger ale is good, as is ginger beer...lots of lime

Best of all would be not drink anything when cooking etc but as I said to you yesterday, you know yourself better than others!
                                                                                              Last edited by Guest; 17-04-21, 14:51.

Comment

Just to add to the conversation, personally, I've basically not touched the stuff since early in the first lockdown, no real reason, just couldn't be arsed drinking in the house with nowhere to go etc... * the difference between single and married right there!?
                                                                                                I Did see other peoples increase in drinking and think might be an idea to give the liver etc a break... didn't think it would be the bones of a year
                                                                                                ​​​​​​
                                                                                                ​​​​​​ Had a few recently because they were going out of date and did a couple of exams... bit meh tbh

Somewhere between don't miss it at all and planning on going on a severe cut with mates when all is relatively safe

A weak, street legal version of MDMA would be a good product to release post lockdown
                                                                                                Last edited by Guest; 17-04-21, 14:53. Reason: *

Comment

Tin hat 6.30 Brighton

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Setting up a Ltd company is a piece of piss, just throw a few hundo at an accountant
                                                                                                    Ty now to just look up all the things available to me, I can already smell the tax deductibles and losses.
                                                                                                    Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 17-04-21, 18:27.

Comment

Can't believe I missed these guys first time around when their debut was released on 2018. Nevertheless their LCD Soundsystem-influenced ravey punk-funk is cheering me up no end today AND I just discovered they're playing Vicar Street in October - I'll be shining up my dancing shoes for that!

This video REALLY makes me wanna get out and dance...

Comment

Who's the floor man of IPB?
                                                                                                        Herself got what I thought was an utterly fucking insane quote for 35m^2 of floor but I actually realised I have almost zero idea of how much "floor" is.

This the shtuff she's after - or similar https://www.instagram.com/p/CMnNBDan...d=w1h67b38qjyi

Also I'll be looking for a blinds and shutters man soon too.

What other men do we have?

Comment

Thought that dipso Laz was the window covering man. May have drunk wanked that thought in a dream though.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                            What are you planning, is it a side gig or fulltime?

Comment

Can't believe I missed these guys first time around when their debut was released on 2018. Nevertheless their LCD Soundsystem-influenced ravey punk-funk is cheering me up no end today AND I just discovered they're playing Vicar Street in October - I'll be shining up my dancing shoes for that!

This video REALLY makes me wanna get out and dance...

A load of my friends love them an I just don't get it.

Have seen them live twice and they were awful twice (one of those times was about 3 in the morning when I was a state that I'd dance to nearly anything)

Comment

Thought that dipso Laz was the window covering man. May have drunk wanked that thought in a dream though.
                                                                                                                Yep. The company is called Blind Drunk.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

A load of my friends love them an I just don't get it.

Have seen them live twice and they were awful twice (one of those times was about 3 in the morning when I was a state that I'd dance to nearly anything)
                                                                                                                  Lol... well that's interesting. And has slightly bummed me out now

It's dumb but very knowing. Maybe I'm just in the mood for the feel goods today.

Went into town with the young fella for the first time since Christmas and had a great amble around in the sunshine for three hours including street pizza and a stroll in Stephen's Green.

To see the nipper's reaction to getting back into something resembling the real world we once knew was great.

The sunshine and happy, relaxed disposition of the people was a proper tonic. And so is this music so stop bumming me out about buying my first gig ticket in a year ya bah humbugger!

Maybe, just maybe, this once, your friends know better than you

<And PS... don't tell me she's not hot either man!>

Comment

Herself got what I thought was an utterly fucking insane quote for 35m^2 of floor but I actually realised I have almost zero idea of how much "floor" is.

This the shtuff she's after - or similar https://www.instagram.com/p/CMnNBDan...d=w1h67b38qjyi

Yep I can help you out with blinds and shutters.

Motorised blinds we do are incredible, if you're in the market for that. Can be fully automated, up with the sunrise down with sunset etc, voice controlled. Controlled via app from anywhere in the world.

I wholesale them so can save you a few bob.

Shoot me a pm when you're ready.

Comment

Funny, I sold flooring too in a previous life. That herringbone is bonkers money, if it's hardwood.

You can get laminate options now though that are relatively inexpensive.

Comment

I've no doubt you'll have loads of fun.

I just checked and the first time I saw them I had just come from seeing Arca at primavera and was waiting for The Black Madonna who was due on after them so my frame of mind may not have been in the right place. Second time they were defo shit though.

Under no circumstances would I tell you she's not hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

What are you planning, is it a side gig or fulltime?
                                                                                                                          It is just a side thing (though if warranted my partner would work full time), basically an online retailer of vegan goods from small local and bigger businesses.
                                                                                                                          Have an audience base already that will buy from us due to social media presence, have experienced constant demand for this kinda thing and know products they'd want (that they can't get in general). Have a working relationship with a lot of businesses already as they approach us for PR work, so give it a whirl anyway! Would like to stock things from the UK too, so let's see how that goes...
                                                                                                                          Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 17-04-21, 20:45.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X