X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    Looking for BBV advice.

Guy I used to work with (immigrant, may be relevant later), is a really good, bright worker. I helped him out a lot in old job. I spoke to him at the w/e.

His boss told him last year that he was putting him forward for promotion - he asked what he needed to do, boss said don't worry, I'll take care of it for you. The year proceeds, guy is working away, doing great work, naively assumes the promotion process is working away. End of year rolls around and the boss rings him up and says, sorry you didn't get the gig, great year though, keep up the good work and you're in a great position for next year. So my guy asked what the reasons given were and the boss vaguely said something about his platform for promotion being unclear.

My guy thought about this for a week, went back and asked him what this meant. Boss says it means what it says. My guy says well you were the one nominating me, what did the nomination form say? Boss says there was no form, this was a verbal process.

Alarm bells now ringing all over the shop for my guy. He waits a couple of weeks and the promotion list is announced. He finds one of the guys promoted from his grade, within his own area and goes to have a chat with him. This fella is very forthcoming and delighted to help explain the process that he successfully navigated. He explains that you have to fill out a very detailed form, he is delighted to share his form with my guy and explain all the ways that the boss helped guide him through the process. My guy then also found the guy who manages the promotion process and he confirmed all nominations must be writing and there is no such thing as a verbal nomination.

TLDR: boss told my guy he was up for promotion and this was not true, went so far as to give him fake feedback. He is asking me for advice. His biggest concern is this will be used against him if he raises it and that his visa status will be affected (this is a bigger concern for him than the promotion). He's fairly self-effacing, wouldn't be one for confrontation.
    Anyone any experience of anything like this? I think my guy was pretty naive and trusting on the one side but this is pretty scummy behaviour imo.
    I hear stories like this all the time, both the promising people progression with no intention and using peoples visa status to handcuff them in.

Nice way to ensure constant staff turnover and tarnishing the companies name. Ex-pat communities in ireland are very tight, this type of thing spreads.

Tell him to wait it out till he gets his stamp 4 it’s a pain to change company halfway through the 2 years required and tough to get someone to take him on.

It’s not nice advice that he needs to just suck it up for a year but getting the visa finalised is pretty much number 1 priority for non Europeans. It is practical advice however.

He will have vultures like myself circling as soon as his LinkedIn moves to 18 months in.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
      If I buy I'm not sure what kind of place I want to get. I'd like to keep the loan to max €300k and can put up to €200k as a deposit for a max of €500k. Or I can get a cheaper place and either pay it off fast or invest the remainder of the money, so that would be paying off an apartment I guess. Just rubber-ducking anyway.
      lads, how much are we spending on meat?

Lentils is clearly the way to go.

With that type of asset base, I'd just maybe go for a place you like rather than try to overthink it.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Have you checked if it is too late to not have children? :P And don't let people put you off avocado toast. Yeah I guess, buy a place I want if I buy one, so that just puts it down to calculating investing vs home returns and pros/cons. I like renting, I'm in the centre, it's flexible, I can move & can change country easily. Having a place of your own is obviously awesome. Valuations of stocks seem very high right now, but I don't see the mechanism that they will drop if even Corona has not slowed them down? Plus time in the market vs blah blah blah. Really curious how much deemed disposal slows down investing gains.
        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 08-03-21, 17:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

lads, how much are we spending on meat?

Lentils is clearly the way to go.

With that type of asset base, I'd just maybe go for a place you like rather than try to overthink it.
          Yeah a tad surprised too given avocados aren't cheap. No brunching over the past year which probably has help Tar substantially.

I'm looking forward to an Egg's Benedict myself

Comment

Was playing air drums to Rush in my car but a drumstick flew out the window. Had to switch to Def Leopard

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
              I assume there's a point in many peoples lives where they feel technology starts to get ahead of them with less understanding of it from that point and more just acceptance. This NFT craic feels like the start of that for me
              Sega Megadrive was my Waterloo

Comment

I think Tar's sole reason for posting here is to make us carnivores hate our lives.

Any fellow vegans caught in the crossfire are collateral damage.
                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                  I think Tar's sole reason for posting here is to make us carnivores hate our lives.

Any fellow vegans caught in the crossfire are collateral damage.
                  I remember that time you tried to eat veggie for a hot minute. I'm back to haunt you. Give up your aul sins.
                  And now that I have found a vegan blue cheese that tastes like the real thing, I don't even have a sad life any more.
                  Join us in the commune brother, Hotpsur makes fresh lemonade on Tuesdays.

Comment

A Tuesday lemonade

Comment

Watching Australian MasterChef at the moment as mellor recommended it ages ago. It is indeed in a whole different ballpark to the staid British version.

Australia comes out of both shows so well compared to the Brits (both shows are originally British). There's this fake niceness in the brit ones and manufactured emotion moments, but in the Australian ones you get this genuine feeling that everyone is in it together. That, if need be, the hosts would let some of the guests kip on their couch.
                      Tried watching the Australian Masterchef a few months ago and found it unbearable. It's essentially a reality show with a tiny bit off cooking. Everybody seemed to have a sob story and there were tears galore when they finally got their hands on the "magic" apron. Actually found it completely fake compared to the British version which is wham-bam-thank-you-mam a cooking show, knows it and doesn't try too hard to be something it isn't.

Perhaps i needed to give the Aussie version more of a chance and it gets better after the preliminary stages though.

Comment

Are you not just paying off someone else's mortgage when renting?

On the promotion thing, an internal spot has opened here due to a retirement. I'd be operating at the next level of management if I took it. No real increase in money.

The thing is the position is an absolute poison chalice. Poor team, constant firefighting, under resourced, have to oversee a new 3 year project, with unrealistic timelines and goals, while continuing the challenging enough BAU stuff. The person currently in the role has been doing it for 15 years and has developed a unique skillset and knowledge, that would realistically take years to match. No succession planning done either. Whoever takes up the position is on a hiding to nothing.

Surely the probability of success (by any objective measure - avoiding a nervous breakdown for a start) in any prospective role, should form part of your evaluation criteria?
                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Tried watching the Australian Masterchef a few months ago and found it unbearable. It's essentially a reality show with a tiny bit off cooking. Everybody seemed to have a sob story and there were tears galore when they finally got their hands on the "magic" apron. Actually found it completely fake compared to the British version which is wham-bam-thank-you-mam a cooking show, knows it and doesn't try too hard to be something it isn't.

Perhaps i needed to give the Aussie version more of a chance and it gets better after the preliminary stages though.
                          I quite like the American one.
                          It's unintentionally hilarious and has some semi decent cooking tips in each ep.
                          The fawning at Ramsey breaking down a chicken or some other mundane task is a riot
                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                            On the topic of promotion, what should you be working off as a barometer of progress?

A guy I worked with until recently was really firm about every 2 years needing to be promoted and if I'm not he'd move on.

Now that's obviously not linear, you can't expect to move on from an entry level role in 2 years and move on from a director role every 2 years.

I just find it a difficult thing to gauge outside of what you get from your review.
                            I've heard the move every two years bit before but as somebody doing the hiring, looking at a CV with a change of role (or even company) every two years generally puts me off a potential candidate.

Rightly or wrongly, I'm thinking, they'll take about 6 months to fully settle in & learn the role fully so I'm realistically going to get 18 months solid work out of them before I need to go through this process again.

I get that people don't stay with the same role/company/profession for life anymore (or very rarely) like they did before but I just think two years is too short a time span.

That said, I've probably stayed in my current role too long (11.5 years) and am currently looking to change. The decision on whether the move will be internally or externally remains with my employer for the minute but that will soon change if something doesn't happen very soon.

Comment

Having to wear a suit is definitely a sign of being in the wrong workplace. I wonder if a lot of banks in particular create levels precisely to have promotion levels to promote to.
                              Maybe I have become institutionalised but I am quite OK with wearing a suit. I'll admit my place can be a bit anal about it but it does make us stand out and not for the wrong reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

On the promotion thing, an internal spot has opened here due to a retirement. I'd be operating at the next level of management if I took it. No real increase in money.

The thing is the position is an absolute poison chalice. Poor team, constant firefighting, under resourced, have to oversee a new 3 year project, with unrealistic timelines and goals, while continuing the challenging enough BAU stuff. The person currently in the role has been doing it for 15 years and has developed a unique skillset and knowledge, that would realistically take years to match. No succession planning done either. Whoever takes up the position is on a hiding to nothing.

Surely the probability of success (by any objective measure - avoiding a nervous breakdown for a start) in any prospective role, should form part of your evaluation criteria?
                                No uplift for a higher level of management is insane.

Is there any way you use this to gain an advantage, i.e. throw your name into the ring with the proviso that you want x% uplift, y additional resources, more autonomy to set realistic goal, etc, etc and if there aren't part of the package, you're not interested?

Spell out what can be achieved in an underperforming department if you are allowed to fix it your way.

Comment

I feel like Hitch posting so many messages in a row

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                    I feel like Hitch posting so many messages in a row
                                    What did ya have for yer tea?
                                    airport, lol

Comment

Really enjoying the redfaced gammon apoplexy orgy from all the cap doffing crawlers in the the British press over the Meghan interview. Drinking it up here, fuck them. Great to see
                                      “PSV was right all along” -Hitch 20 May 2019

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                        What you are talking about here is that renting is an Unrecoverable cost. Home ownership has plenty of unrecoverable costs too.
                                        Either can work out more financially beneficial than the other depending on your circumstances and the taxes in your country.
                                        You also have to take into account things like opportunity cost, you can't invest 100k if it is a deposit and so on.

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 08-03-21, 19:50.

Comment

Bloodbath. You love to see it. The moral of the lesson is to never rob money from rich people - all the banks that robbed money from poorer tracker mortgage holders, on the other hand, are looking on from their safe jobs approvingly.

Comment

What did ya have for yer tea?
                                            Haven't had it yet, only in the door from work, but Mrs Lao Lao did up a batch of Squash, Kale, Leek & Fennel gratin (which we also put the wild garlic into) yesterday. It's a recipe from the happy spa twins but it is delish so going to polish off the rest of it tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                              Really enjoying the redfaced gammon apoplexy orgy from all the cap doffing crawlers in the the British press over the Meghan interview. Drinking it up here, fuck them. Great to see
                                              I really enjoyed this

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=270764871270811

Comment

Music King March Madness is open for business. Bit of a slow start but plenty of great tracks to dig into. Will leave entries open 'til 8am tomorrow to let the laggards catch up!

Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                  Music King March Madness is open for business. Bit of a slow start but plenty of great tracks to dig into. Will leave entries open 'til 8am tomorrow to let the laggards catch up!

Enjoy.
                                                  Ah bollox. Benny I'm so sorry man. I've been swamped all weekend with college work and literally just finished my work now after a day full of zoom lectures.

I'll grab a cuppa and have a look for an entry to send you. Sorry for holding it up.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Ah bollox. Benny I'm so sorry man. I've been swamped all weekend with college work and literally just finished my work now after a day full of zoom lectures.

I'll grab a cuppa and have a look for an entry to send you. Sorry for holding it up.
                                                    Don't sweat it Dobs - won't post it until morning at any rate to try and ''mask' who's who. Take yer time.

Hopefully another couple will make it too!

Comment

I assume there's a point in many peoples lives where they feel technology starts to get ahead of them with less understanding of it from that point and more just acceptance. This NFT craic feels like the start of that for me
                                                      I *think* I understand NFTs... but I'm fairly convinced the rise of them (and much of the crypto space), along with so many asset bubbles, crazy stock market, etc... is just a symptom of central banks flooding the system with printed money. There's just far too much cash floating around, chasing any kind of return in any kind of mental assets. The whole system is so damn dirty, shoveling money at the ultra rich and fucking investment banks in an effort to solve systemic problems or weakness. I think I've become a fan of the democratic helicopter money 'check to every taxpayer' route they're going with in the US (alongside the shoveling money at the blood-suckers at the top, admittedly), at least the ordinary Joe Sixpack can go out and buy himself a 75" TV or whatever.

Why, why, why would you want to spend mega-bucks to own an NFT for art or anything digital where the substance of the item (the image, video, whatever) remains totally free to everyone else in the world, now and forever?

Yes, I must be too old!
                                                      Last edited by ionapaul; 08-03-21, 22:37.

Comment

Person...Woman...Man......Camera..TV

Comment

That whole raspberry Pi thing was the moment I knew it.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

I *think* I understand NFTs... but I'm fairly convinced the rise of them (and much of the crypto space), along with so many asset bubbles, crazy stock market, etc... is just a symptom of central banks flooding the system with printed money. There's just far too much cash floating around, chasing any kind of return in any kind of mental assets. The whole system is so damn dirty, shoveling money at the ultra rich and fucking investment banks in an effort to solve systemic problems or weakness. I think I've become a fan of the democratic helicopter money 'check to every taxpayer' route their going with in the US (alongside the shoveling money at the blood-suckers at the top, admittedly), at least the ordinary Joe Sixpack can go out and buy himself a 75" TV or whatever.

Why, why, why would you want to spend mega-bucks to own an NFT for art or anything digital where the substance of the item (the image, video, whatever) remains totally free to everyone else in the world, now and forever?

Yes, I must be too old!
                                                            The best explanation I saw anybody come up with was like owning the original of an art piece vs a print, which is a terrible comparison because you don't have anything physical. And the copy is identical in every way with digital. I'm lost
                                                            airport, lol

Comment

A phone you could carry around with you. And you could type messages on it!
                                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Normal service resumed on Party lol

A hand transpired there which I havent seen in a long time.
                                                                Flop nut straight on a JQK board with 2 x spades in my raised pot. I have A10KK with nut spades. I get check raised with unseemly haste (the table numpty stroking himself with the nut straight). One of those hands you just would love to play live to see the look on their face chopped obviously

Last time I saw that hand was when "the legend" was betting blind into Kev in the 100 Fitz game. Bet blind on flop..call..bet turn...call...all in ...yeah call ..eh the nuts! Think it was like 2k or something.

Sorry for sullying the thread with such mundane happenings in the poker world

Comment

Oprahs next big interview is with Jurgen Klopp, he opens up to her about how he gets beaten at home and lost his title.

Comment

Music King March Madness round one up to 11 players now.

Thanks.

New format, same legends. Get listening, get voting.

Plenty of opportunity for intrigue - what score will the entrants give themselves? Too high and they risk the opprobrium of their peers. Too low and they risk disadvantaging themselves.

Scores will slowly be revealed a la Eurovision so expect a few twists and turns as we head towards deadline and the votes mount up.

Open for 3 days initially, maybe a little more if the interest is there or people need more time.

Good luck and enjoy!

Comment

Yeah, i still don't quite get that.

Comment

Ev_G1y0XMAQJiT3?format=jpg.jpg

Comment

Not sure this is something I should have strong opinions on, but I genuinely feel a sense of justice being served with the whole Harry and Meghan thing. That Harry grew up - waiting 20 years - to extract revenge for how his mother was treated and died. Saw a clip earlier today of him over the years talking about the media and how horrific they were, so its not just some point-in-time thing, its almost his life training. It is quite notable that the only one defending the Royal Family is Piers fucking Morgan.

Comment

Not sure this is something I should have strong opinions on, but I genuinely feel a sense of justice being served with the whole Harry and Meghan thing. That Harry grew up - waiting 20 years - to extract revenge for how his mother was treated and died. Saw a clip earlier today of him over the years talking about the media and how horrific they were, so its not just some point-in-time thing, its almost his life training. It is quite notable that the only one defending the Royal Family is Piers fucking Morgan.
                                                                            I really don't get how any Irish person could give even a hint of a bollix about the Royal Family and their doings.

Comment

I really don't get how any Irish person could give even a hint of a bollix about the Royal Family and their doings.
                                                                              English Kardashians innit
                                                                              Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Win the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp and you could purchase as many vintage devices as you see fit, maybe even with your own NFT.

Currently €1250 in the pot and still just over a week to enter.

No sign of regs like rounders, NewApproach etc yet either so that number is going yuuuuuuuge.

Comment

I can never get my head around this argument.

We're engrossed in US politics, and UK politics, why would we not find Royal family scandals interesting.

It's not like we're going to drape Union Jacks out our box room windows.

Comment

You don't?

Diana and 9/11 are two events seared forever in my mind as key news stories of my lifetime. Although maybe I was in the UK at the time Diana died and that was the reason. And that lonely picture of the two little boys standing there at the front of the church in front of their mothers coffin. Candle in the wind strikes up. And then one of those two boys grows up to seek justice for his mother. I feel its a glorious story and I've read far worse in many many novels.

Comment

You don't?

Diana and 9/11 are two events seared forever in my mind as key news stories of my lifetime. Although maybe I was in the UK at the time Diana died and that was the reason. And that lonely picture of the two little boys standing there at the front of the church in front of their mothers coffin. Candle in the wind strikes up. And then one of those two boys grows up to seek justice for his mother. I feel its a glorious story and I've read far worse in many many novels.
                                                                                      If she was such a great mother, maybe she should have been home with her two little boys instead of careering around Parisian nightclubs with a dodgy Egyptian playboy?

This posthumous beatification of a ditzy upper-class airhead is something that has always amazed me.

Discuss.

Comment

We're engrossed in US politics, and UK politics, why would we not find Royal family scandals interesting.
                                                                                        Because (1) and (2) are real-life events with actual real-life consequences.

(3) is basically Coronation Street with posher accents and bigger houses

Comment

You don't?

https://youtu.be/U1H913UqQ6w
                                                                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

You don't?

i was in Paris stuck in traffic trying to get through that tunnel. fucking selfish cnuts!

Comment

If she was such a great mother, maybe she should have been home with her two little boys instead of careering around Parisian nightclubs with a dodgy Egyptian playboy?

This posthumous beatification of a ditzy upper-class airhead is something that has always amazed me.

Discuss.
                                                                                              I think its pretty amazing that you yourself have never been away for a weekend and therefore see yourself in a position to judge others. You're a better man than all of us.

Comment

Discuss.
                                                                                                This is poetry. Looking forward to starting a row using these couple of lines.

Comment

You don't?

Diana was a massive news story. I don’t think Raoul
                                                                                                  was referring to something like that. But more so the tabloids shite about what Lizzy’s corgis had for breakfast. Or some documentary on a spoon polisher.

Not sure what the glorious story you’ve been on about. What’s Harry done now?

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post

This is poetry. Looking forward to starting a row using these couple of lines.
                                                                                                    Already got Hitch the royal-lover on the defensive.

I bet he collects commemorative coins of royal weddings.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                      Not sure what the glorious story you’ve been on about. What’s Harry done now?
                                                                                                      well that is far more effective than any trolling raoul has attempted, so congratulations on that.

Comment

I think its pretty amazing that you yourself have never been away for a weekend and therefore see yourself in a position to judge others.
                                                                                                        The royals have a long tradition of outsourcing childcare to nannies and boarding schools, The 'two little boys' barely knew what their parents looked like.

You're a better man than all of us.
                                                                                                        Yes, this is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                          What’s Harry done now?
                                                                                                          Gave some (presumably very well-paid) interview to Oprah, whining about life in the gilded cage of the royal family. Boo fucking hoo, who gives a shit.

This is currently being ecstatically parsed by the Brit media at the expense of actual news.

Comment

Although the topic of formative news events is a good one. Here's some of my mine.
                                                                                                            1. Berlin Wall coming down
                                                                                                            2. Mandela released from jail
                                                                                                            3. IRA Ceasefire 1994
                                                                                                            4. Omagh bombing
                                                                                                            5. Challenger explosion
                                                                                                            6. 9/11
                                                                                                            7. Hong Kong handover ceremony
                                                                                                            8. Stephens Day Tsunami
                                                                                                            9. Tianamen Square massacre
                                                                                                            10. Yeltsin on the tank in front of the Russian parliament, halting the communist coup
                                                                                                            11. Madrid train bombings
                                                                                                            12. Paris terrorist attacks
                                                                                                            13. Brexit vote
                                                                                                            14. Trump elected
                                                                                                            15. Covid

Comment

Gave some (presumably very well-paid) interview to Oprah, whining about life in the gilded cage of the royal family. Boo fucking hoo, who gives a shit.

This is currently being ecstatically parsed by the Brit media at the expense of actual news.
                                                                                                              He's clearly taking the piss. It was, by far, the most-watched tv show in Australia of the year and only a football final would top it in any given year in Australian tv.

Comment

EwCJAW7WYAQbvXD?format=png&name=medium.png
                                                                                                                From the IT today
                                                                                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

He's clearly taking the piss. It was, by far, the most-watched tv show in Australia of the year and only a football final would top it in any given year in Australian tv.
                                                                                                                  I suspect Mellor is a sophisticated and cultured man of the world, much like myself, with a diverse range of intellectual interests who would never pay any attention to the inane royal-related drivel that is currently polluting our airwaves.

And I salute him for that.

if he is taking the piss, then WP obv

Comment

Although the topic of formative news events is a good one. Here's some of my mine.
                                                                                                                    1. Berlin Wall coming down
                                                                                                                    2. Mandela released from jail
                                                                                                                    3. IRA Ceasefire 1994
                                                                                                                    4. Omagh bombing
                                                                                                                    5. Challenger explosion
                                                                                                                    6. 9/11
                                                                                                                    7. Hong Kong handover ceremony
                                                                                                                    8. Stephens Day Tsunami
                                                                                                                    9. Tianamen Square massacre
                                                                                                                    10. Yeltsin on the tank in front of the Russian parliament, halting the communist coup
                                                                                                                    11. Madrid train bombings
                                                                                                                    12. Paris terrorist attacks
                                                                                                                    13. Brexit vote
                                                                                                                    14. Trump elected
                                                                                                                    15. Covid
                                                                                                                    Tony Blair / New Labour election? It has always struck me as a dividing line between old and new politics - not necessarily in a good way, just a definitive way. Portillo losing in particular. First gulf war also - seeing that type of weaponry upfront in what was really the first live televised war. I'd say in an Irish context Mary Robinson's campaign seemed like a crossing of the rubicon between old and new Ireland. Maybe the Bishop and the kid - Annie someone, which started the crumbling of religiosity in Ireland.

Comment

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Long before Harry met Meghan, I'd managed to watch the entire series of Suits without realising that Meghan, as one of the main stars of the show, had anything other than a mild tan. Americans do slightly overegg (that surely can't be the right word, yet its a word that sounds like this that fits here) their differences.

Comment

Tony Blair / New Labour election? It has always struck me as a dividing line between old and new politics - not necessarily in a good way, just a definitive way. Portillo losing in particular.
                                                                                                                          didn't really reigster, he was just an English Bill Clinton. Not like the election itself was close or anything to add drama.

Although Portillo's railway journeys (where he wears the most amazingly bad taste chino\blazer combinations I have ever seen) are actually kinda soothingly watchable.

So really, who aged better? Tony Blair - forever remembered s an illegal invader of countries based on fake evidence or Michael Portillo, who gets to toddle about railway networks having fun times....

Blazer spoilered for hideousness:
                                                                                                                          SPOILER

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X