This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

My missus wrecks my head after looking at Pinterest whatever that is.
    Yeah...whatever that is

I'm in the midst of trying to do something with my office because I have no taste and my missus wont let me pick anything for any other room in the house.

So in an effort to stick it to her, I'm on a mission to make my office the best designed room in the house. Hoping money is a substitute for style.
    Almost bought an Eames chair the other day but bought a really nice Guy Roger's Manhattan instead.

Combine that with a handful of nice oils & prints(IPB member included) I feel I'm in a good spot.
    Taking the small wins in lockdown

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Ah Pat.

You've no idea of whether your actions have resulted in zero cases. What safety measures are you taking inside, how do you sustain those measures when your punters are seven pints deep?

I've just looked at my Google maps timeline for Feb.

Home, home, home, home, Supervalu, home, home, home.

That's it. That's the month, that was the previous 2 months.

You're a sound fella, but unfort your actions will result in more months like that for me, and for everyone.

It's a massive pain in the hole, I know, and you obv feel you're doing no harm, but unfort it's not much different to insurance fraud in terms of how it affects wider society.
      Sorry Laz but I don't think its the same as insurance fraud. I'm not going to try and justify my actions. Hope you and yours keeping well.
      Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Tbf you can see the pattern even in his examples, Spanish, French, German you can get a lot of the way there even by understanding "my something is/are something". I don't know German but it's not a leap to understand meine unterhose. Generally there are far more obvious words in languages, that phrase in Spanish, had it ended in flamas it would be easier etc, llamas here is what is know as a "false friend" in languages, because while it does share the same origin as in English (Flamma in Latin), it has evolved over time to be different. If they did not have the same etymological root it would be a false cognate. If it had been pants with "pantalón" and "pantalones" in that phrase, obviously we would understand. Est/están are in lots of languages and are found in English & Latin, is, to be etc. Finnish, Hungarian there may as well be from another planet, whereas the other easier languages share lexical cognates with English.
        I'm yanking your chain a little, because obviously Spanish is easier to learn when coming from English than Russian/Hungarian/Simplified Chinese etc but there's a world of difference between easier to learn and easy to learn. Understanding it might mean 'my something is/are something' still leaves you in world of trouble in terms of actually having an effective conversation. Especially when it comes to idioms (same applies to non-native speakers learning any other language of course)

tomar el pelo
        ser pan comido
        estar como una cabra
        no tener pelos en la lengua
        quedarse de piedra

To take your example, and RDIII's subsequent picture of llamas...it's pronounced jamas which is kind of confusing because there is a Spanish word that is written as jamas, but that one is pronounced hamas. To add to the confusion llamas means flames in this example, but in another context/sentence it means name. Same spelling, same pronunciation, completely different meaning.

Están could be taken to mean is/to be for sure, but in Spanish we have ser and estar both of which are the verb to be but need to used in correct contexts or they are grammatically incorrect
        Ser = DOCTOR = Date Occupation Characteristic Time Origin Relation
        Estar = PLACE = Position Location Action Condition Emotion

Similarly we have por/para which means 'for' but also need to be used in the correct context, generally para is before something happens and por is after it happens, but they are replaced by a *to' in certain strange, for me, situations i.e.

I'm waiting to my wife, instead of I'm waiting for my wife

Anyway as I tell my students, There are two things at play, the first is being able to communicate and understand and the second is being grammatically correct. The former can be achieved on a basic level in a few months, i.e. you'll be able to communicate in a basic enough manner as long as there is no jargon or expansive vocabulary needed. The second takes years to master but you'll eventually get there. I personally believe that English is easier to learn coming from Spanish than Spanish is coming from English but that's mostly due to the subtleties in the Spanish language that just don't exist in English.

Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post

Sorry Laz but I don't think its the same as insurance fraud. I'm not going to try and justify my actions. Hope you and yours keeping well.
          Cheers Pat, doing good in the immediate family, have a loved one though that's not in a good place and causing us a lot of anxiety around it. I suppose it's why I'm a bit tetchy about it above.

I know there's no moral equivalence between you and an insurance scammer, I suppose I feel it's somewhat comparable in how small actions, multiplied, have a detrimental effect overall on society.

I'll still want to have a pint with ya when it's safe to let the jackeens in.
          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I also think you're a sound guy Pat.

But Laz is wrong. It's not 'the same as insurance fraud'.

It's objectively much worse than that. You're knowingly and deliberately breaking restrictions that are in place to save lives. I don't know what mental gymnastics you engage in to justify this but it's unjustifiable and indefensible.

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

In for music game Benny.

Mr Mustard . .

Before Damien Rice hit fame with O I used to see him around the scene . He even did a gig in the Stables when I was there . Pre 2000s . Anyhow I like this tune that didnt make the O cut. Was fun live

This is for Hitchhiker.

Comment

Pat unfortunately has made his thoughts on this clear in that he does not intend to justify his actions.Trying to get my head around it. For what it's worth going personally to continue observing restrictions, wearing mask etc.

100 in a bar and 0 cases is not possible. You might get away with for a night or 2. And when Jimmy doesnt turn up one night none of the other patrons are going to tell you hes at home sick or hasnt been in work for the last 4 days.

Feel I'm wasting my time asking him to reconsider and wasting my time typing. Bit deflated though wondering how long this will go on given some people couldn't give 2 fucks.

Comment

PatMustard Is there a dartboard?

Comment

Fucking google's monthly timeline email has become a depressing ritual, this month it managed to miss the day I took a skite over to the curragh to watch a horse work

sMhhpvw.png
                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

First Music King king in a year kicking off shortly. Get your name down and show us what ya got!

Comment

High quality dicking around in your own box in the Burnley - Arsenal game.
                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                          Master of Puppets released 35 years ago today.

Love their guitar tone from back then. Came across this when I was doing a project a few months ago to teach myself python

I was trying to make an app to generate interactive song stats for any band. need to sit down and finish it. Just running on a free host so it's a bit sluggish and there's still the occasional bug.

https://setlistviz.herokuapp.com/

SPOILER
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Denny Crane; 06-03-21, 12:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Love their guitar tone from back then. Came across this when I was doing a project a few months ago to teach myself python

I was trying to make an app to generate song interactive stats for any band. need to sit down and finish it. Just running on a free host so it's a bit sluggish and there's still the occasional bug.

https://setlistviz.herokuapp.com/

SPOILER
                            Cool.

What data sets are you using?

edit: Ah. I see Spotify here....

KeyError: 0
                            Traceback:
                            File "/app/.heroku/python/lib/python3.6/site-packages/streamlit/script_runner.py", line 332, in _run_script exec(code, module.__dict__)
                            File "/app/spotify_setlist.py", line 1101, in <module> first_played_country = df[df['first_played'] == first_played]['venue.city.country.name'][0]
                            File "/app/.heroku/python/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pandas/core/series.py", line 882, in __getitem__ return self._get_value(key)
                            File "/app/.heroku/python/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pandas/core/series.py", line 990, in _get_value loc = self.index.get_loc(label)
                            File "/app/.heroku/python/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pandas/core/indexes/base.py", line 2900, in get_loc raise KeyError(key) from err

Comment

Come on Pat, turn on the old Pat Mustard charm.

Comment

Cheers Pat, doing good in the immediate family, have a loved one though that's not in a good place and causing us a lot of anxiety around it. I suppose it's why I'm a bit tetchy about it above.

I know you're no moral equivalence between you and an insurance scammer, I suppose I feel it's somewhat comparable in how small actions, multiplied, have a detrimental effect overall on society.

I'll still want to have a pint with ya when it's safe to let the jackeens in.
                                I understand where you and everyone on here are coming from. Sorry to hear about your family member and look forward to having a pint with you in the future.

@Chad yeah we have a dartboard but nobody uses it
                                dinekes sorry ye gone past the stage of giving 2 fecks tbh. I know of only 1 person (family and friends) who has had it.. who incidentally works in Tallaght hospital.
                                @RD can't disagree with anything you've said. No mental gymnastics needed. Pure selfishness I suppose.
                                Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

]
                                  That's mad. Never heard that. Googled the original, by a hardcore band called Fang. Nirvana covered it also.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post

I understand where you and everyone on here are coming from. Sorry to hear about your family member and look forward to having a pint with you in the future.

@Chad yeah we have a dartboard but nobody uses it
                                    dinekes sorry ye gone past the stage of giving 2 fecks tbh. I know of only 1 person (family and friends) who has had it.. who incidentally works in Tallaght hospital.
                                    @RD can't disagree with anything you've said. No mental gymnastics needed. Pure selfishness I suppose.
                                    Feck ya anyway. Gasping for a pint, even more so now. Lovely lovely pints. Gonna make my post-pandemic resolution to spend more time in the pub.

Comment

Dry Feb over. Didnt quite make the whole month tbh cracked on the 27th. Still not too bad.

Will be having some wine tonight (at home by the way)so expect a drunken rant at some stage! Could be on any number of ranty topics.

in poker news bought into a 25c 50c game for $50 last night and cashed out for $570 (party poker) Happy Days

Also tried to place a bet on Balfes last pick but didnt go through luckily.....his next one sure to be a winner!!

Actually would love a game of darts and a few Guinness.

Comment

Hitchhiker's Guide To... Were you in Ranelagh today just after 1 with the wife and 2 kids by any chance?

Thought it was you but wasn't sure

Comment

same logic as the rural drinker who has 8 pints and drives on quiet roads, will be grand til its not.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                            same logic as the rural drinker who has 8 pints and drives on quiet roads, will be grand til its not.
                                            Yeah. There's no way Hitch should be in Ranelagh
                                            Person...Woman...Man......Camera..TV

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                              Very true

Its prob already happening or happened just not with serious enough repercussions for anyone to care.
                                              And even if (when) someones 80 year old mother/farher/granny dies sure nothing to do with them. Probably all go to the funeral and get pissed after. "she was grand last week when Paddy dropped round to see her"

So easy to absolve yourself from being responsible. The Covid deniers especially given its low fatality rate for most age groups. And yet its wiped out nearly 1 in 400 of some countries' populations. Every line crossed no matter how small is another x % chance it continues or gets worse or that some poor fucker gets his ticket punched but rest assured that had nothing to do with that party or that meet up or whatever because my fucking pint/book club/insert stupid hobby here club is more important than other peoples health and I know better than them doctors and scientists anyway.

Friends daughter (student 21years old) got it at party infected both her parents. Out partying again recently (lying to Garda at checkpoint about being on her way to study in college at w/e at night)

Fuck it.

Comment

Spieth, he's box office in the best, and worst ways.

1. Birdie
                                                2. Ace
                                                3. Rinses it.

So great to watch his rounds these days.
                                                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

and then makes par with a 25 footer after rinsing it.

Ya can't but love the chap.
                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

My mate told me I'd make a great mime...
                                                    I was speechless

A friend of mine went off to mime school..
                                                    Havent heard from him since

My dad said I've never make it as a mime..
                                                    Was it something I said?

Comment

Bryson. hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                        and then makes par with a 25 footer after rinsing it.

Ya can't but love the chap.
                                                        Hope he has somebody to mark his card after the suspect Rose WD.

Comment

Next door neighbour got 4 pints of Guinness and 2 cocktails delivered from a pub.

€33

He sent me pics, they're in milkshake cups. How tf does it make any sense, other than maybe supporting the publican?

Surely the 4th one will be pisswater.

Comment

How tf does it make any sense
                                                            How's your bespoke knife?

Comment

Pat Mustard . He gives great tips but dont shake his hand.

Pissed off myself with the restrictions but not enough to throw my giveashit out of the pram

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

How's your bespoke knife?
                                                                I'm actually still waiting on it. I messaged him last week as I figured he must have forgotten about me.

Told me mine is coming up soon.

Don't mind waiting too much.

Comment

A couple of hours of Dave Allen on BBC2 at the moment. Always thought his sketch stuff was rubbish, but love his storytelling.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                    Bryson. hahaha
                                                                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1kFh...hannel=PGATOUR

Comment

Next door neighbour got 4 pints of Guinness and 2 cocktails delivered from a pub.

€33

He sent me pics, they're in milkshake cups. How tf does it make any sense, other than maybe supporting the publican?

Dont see the point in that, the 1st one might be grand, the other 3 will be shite. I dont even like the idea of takeaway pints but I'd suffer through that right now if a place near me was operating as such.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                        Hitchhiker's Guide To... Were you in Ranelagh today just after 1 with the wife and 2 kids by any chance?

Thought it was you but wasn't sure
                                                                        oh wow! I wish I'd sharpened up for the opportunity. Did we look haggard by that stage of the walk?! I'm also trying out a moustache which people have consistently said is the most horrific thing they've ever seen.
                                                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Yeah. There's no way Hitch should be in Ranelagh
                                                                          I took that initially to mean that my type wouldn't fit in there.

The rationale was that we're trying to find somewhere to live, making it somewhat of an essential journey (?). Got off the bus in Donnybrook, walked along the Dodder to Milltown. Into Ranelagh for an omg breakfast bap at the Devlin. Saw a few houses that were for sale, remarked how we need a few hundred k extra earnings on top. Then on to Rathmines. Which seems to still look like a kip? How is it not yet gentrified. Then we made it to Rathgar on an approximate trip towards Kimmage and Terenure, and at that point gave up.

Comment

Saw Palm Springs this evening. Its a particular type of movie (a rom-com I guess?), but for those of you who, due to family necessity, are occasionally into that type of thing, its a very smart one.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I took that initially to mean that my type wouldn't fit in there.

The rationale was that we're trying to find somewhere to live, making it somewhat of an essential journey (?). Got off the bus in Donnybrook, walked along the Dodder to Milltown. Into Ranelagh for an omg breakfast bap at the Devlin. Saw a few houses that were for sale, remarked how we need a few hundred k extra earnings on top. Then on to Rathmines. Which seems to still look like a kip? How is it not yet gentrified. Then we made it to Rathgar on an approximate trip towards Kimmage and Terenure, and at that point gave up.
                                                                              Tell me more about this breakfast bap
                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Tell me more about this breakfast bap
                                                                                Honest to god only someone who wanted to give Ranelagh a heart attack would even dream of coming up with something that good. Just the layering skill. Great bacon and sausage choices obv, thats a given. And the bap itself, perfection. But the real art was layering the bottom with a peppery white pudding that got into every mouthful, and then the top with the runny egg that managed to work itself into every bite also. Maybe there was a relish, but who knows. And thats the failing of most baps. The relish is too powerful and overwhelms an otherwise amazing bap. Here it sung quietly in the background, but knew that the bacon was the boss. A genuine work of art.

Comment

Honest to god only someone who wanted to give Ranelagh a heart attack would even dream of coming up with something that good. Just the layering skill. Great bacon and sausage choices obv, thats a given. And the bap itself, perfection. But the real art was layering the bottom with a peppery white pudding that got into every mouthful, and then the top with the runny egg that managed to work itself into every bite also. Maybe there was a relish, but who knows. And thats the failing of most baps. The relish is too powerful and overwhelms an otherwise amazing bap. Here it sung quietly in the background, but knew that the bacon was the boss. A genuine work of art.
                                                                                  Yeah that's cool and all but fuck all use to us without the name and location of the place.

Comment

Elucidated extremely well. 10/10. Will seek bap.

Comment

Although relish can fuck the fuck off, even subtle relish is too much relish.

People that like relish can go stick it up their bollix.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Yeah that's cool and all but fuck all use to us without the name and location of the place.
                                                                                        I think it's Devlins hotel?

Comment

oh wow! I wish I'd sharpened up for the opportunity. Did we look haggard by that stage of the walk?! I'm also trying out a moustache which people have consistently said is the most horrific thing they've ever seen.
                                                                                          No, you looked fine although you were the talk on the Ranelagh Residents What's App group. They requested you at least wear a blazer or a shirt next time you rock up to these parts...They initially wanted an impactful tie but I talked them down off that ledge.

House prices in Ranelagh are mental. You'd struggle to buy something and have change out of a million. Rathmines main street still looks a bit shit but there is nice places off it but a lot is pricey as well.

Are you sure you got your breakfast bap in The Devlin? It sounds very like the breakfast bap they serve in Cinnamon.

Will stop and say hello next time!

Comment

€33

Guinness drinkers are largely brainwashed tbf.
                                                                                            Fresh pints are great, draught widget cans can’t touch them. But going for takeaway Guinness that’s a few hours old because you believe pub taps are magic. Delusion.

Seen this on instragram. Made me feel sick at the thoughts.
                                                                                            https://www.instagram.com/p/CLSa4--M...=1g2cvukb30oj9

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                              No, you looked fine although you were the talk on the Ranelagh Residents What's App group. They requested you at least wear a blazer or a shirt next time you rock up to these parts...They initially wanted an impactful tie but I talked them down off that ledge.

House prices in Ranelagh are mental. You'd struggle to buy something and have change out of a million. Rathmines main street still looks a bit shit but there is nice places off it but a lot is pricey as well.

Are you sure you got your breakfast bap in The Devlin? It sounds very like the breakfast bap they serve in Cinnamon.

Will stop and say hello next time!
                                                                                              Ha. Oh yeah was definitely the Cinnamon place. Think it was even called The Cinnamon Signature Breakfast Bap.

Comment

€33

​​​​

When outgoings have been pretty much rent + bills, i kinda see a round of booze in a different light. I'll be straight back to it as soon as I can though.
                                                                                                Last edited by Denny Crane; 07-03-21, 10:24.

Comment

​​​​

When outgoings have been pretty much been rent + bills, i kinda see a round of booze in a different light. I'll be straight back to it as soon as I can though.
                                                                                                  Oh I agree. When that round of booze is served to you fresh, in a glass glass.

I don't see any point in paying to drink a 3 hour old pint out of a plastic milkshake cup.

Comment

Fancy yourself as a taste-maker? Only 4 more volunteers needed for the first Music King in a year.

To help you get excited here's a great read about a lady who revisited her record collection during lockdown and went on a wild emotional, life affirming ride through time and place.

Beautiful.

Comment

One of the local pubs that's kept going throughout the pandemic does deliveries in pre booked slots. Mixed cocktails, bottles, craft cans and draft pints. They're doing quite well all things considered. Pints in actual glasses and they put plastic glasses on top of the glasses to prevent spilling.

On the other end of the spectrum I've a mate who bought and renovated an old pub. He opened just before Christmas in 2019 and the poor bastard has been closed for a year now.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                                                                        Fancy yourself as a taste-maker? Only 4 more volunteers needed for the first Music King in a year.

To help you get excited here's a great read about a lady who revisited her record collection during lockdown and went on a wild emotional, life affirming ride through time and place.

Beautiful.
                                                                                                        I loved that link . Cheers . Similar experience without the disciplines she showed .

Comment

Been drinking mainly Guinness most of my drinking days. Nothing as tasty as a can of wigedty Guinness and a bag of cheese n onion. Keep a few rennies on hand though .

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                            Guinness drinkers are largely brainwashed tbf.
                                                                                                            Fresh pints are great, draught widget cans can’t touch them. But going for takeaway Guinness that’s a few hours old because you believe pub taps are magic. Delusion.

Seen this on instragram. Made me feel sick at the thoughts.
                                                                                                            https://www.instagram.com/p/CLSa4--M...=1g2cvukb30oj9
                                                                                                            As the former holder of the title "fella responsible for the best pint is South London" I concur with this message

SPOILER
                                                                                                            Taps have a "widget" tooo

People who wouldn't drink a fresh pint in a plastic glass at a gig would drink from a 5 litre oil can cause it came from a pub

Also, professionally speaking, I'd like to know.... Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain... nevermind.
                                                                                                            PMA

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                              Been drinking mainly Guinness most of my drinking days. Nothing as tasty as a can of wigedty Guinness and a bag of cheese n onion. Keep a few rennies on hand though .
                                                                                                              I knew yer jokes were from the 70's

I hadn't realized you were too!

What's yer time machine look like? A Honda 50?

PMA

Comment

Oh I agree. When that round of booze is served to you fresh, in a glass glass.

I don't see any point in paying to drink a 3 hour old pint out of a plastic milkshake cup.
                                                                                                                Guinness cans never did anything for me.
                                                                                                                Been drinking a lot of Einsiedler Hell. It's not Augustiner but it is far more readily available.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post

I knew yer jokes were from the 70's

I hadn't realized you were too!

What's yer time machine look like? A Honda 50?

Drinking only since the 80s. My machine was a yami 125 but preferred to cycle . Not many cans with widgets in the 80s .
                                                                                                                  70s jokes were mainly racist/sexist . . My ipb back catalogue is mainly to annoy the less corny joke tolerant on here. That's the joke . Some cunce get really precious so I'm easily amused..

Pity my 7 year old , he is made create a new knock knock joke every other day. He is losing patience with me . I'll have to stick with 4 year olds. They 'get' me.

Comment

I loved that link . Cheers . Similar experience without the disciplines she showed .
                                                                                                                    I was a little sceptical when I first dived in but it turned out to be a lovely piece - well crafted, nostalgic but not cheesy, emotional and evocative yet subtle.

A timely reminder of the power of music.

Comment

It's Rik Mayall Day according to Twitter so in honour of the great man and Music King.... please welcome to the stage, Bad News

Comment

Drinking only since the 80s. My machine was a yami 125 but preferred to cycle . Not many cans with widgets in the 80s .
                                                                                                                        70s jokes were mainly racist/sexist . . My ipb back catalogue is mainly to annoy the less corny joke tolerant on here. That's the joke . Some cunce get really precious so I'm easily amused..

Pity my 7 year old , he is made create a new knock knock joke every other day. He is losing patience with me . I'll have to stick with 4 year olds. They 'get' me.
                                                                                                                        I remember my dad getting a 6 pack of stubby bottles with the plunger to aerate it.
                                                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Thanks Hitch for starting that convo up last week re detective novels.

Going to buy the first of the Thorne series that AJ recommended.

I'd like to support an Irish indie book shop. Can anyone recommend one with a good range, trading online?

​​​​​​

​​​

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X