This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    Is there a reason why Terenure seems significantly cheaper than th surrounding places. Always mentally had it written down as a rich-ish area, but not sure I've ever been there.

I've always had an irrational dislike (hatred is too strong) for Terenure and people from Terenure since that stupid fucking AIB Terenure ad. which must be about 12 years old at this stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

I've always had an irrational dislike (hatred is too strong) for Terenure and people from Terenure since that stupid fucking AIB Terenure ad. which must be about 12 years old at this stage.

Think Terenure was traditionally the Jewish area of Dublin (or one of them anyway), my mother grew up there and was in a school where the class was 50/50 Jewish/Prods. Definitely been in the synagogue there a few times athough I think the Jewish community has much declined in recent decades.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

There is a fridge for Kosher meat in Churchtown Supervalu so must be still a decent sized community near that area
        Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
        https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Think Terenure was traditionally the Jewish area of Dublin (or one of them anyway), my mother grew up there and was in a school where the class was 50/50 Jewish/Prods. Definitely been in the synagogue there a few times athough I think the Jewish community has much declined in recent decades.

I'll give da mudder a pass as I guess she was in school there pre 2008 which is when the ad was released

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

ah yeah but you can easily read that spanish one, understand, pronounce and translate it perfectly if you're a native English speaker

Tbf you can see the pattern even in his examples, Spanish, French, German you can get a lot of the way there even by understanding "my something is/are something". I don't know German but it's not a leap to understand meine unterhose. Generally there are far more obvious words in languages, that phrase in Spanish, had it ended in flamas it would be easier etc, llamas here is what is know as a "false friend" in languages, because while it does share the same origin as in English (Flamma in Latin), it has evolved over time to be different. If they did not have the same etymological root it would be a false cognate. If it had been pants with "pantalón" and "pantalones" in that phrase, obviously we would understand. Est/están are in lots of languages and are found in English & Latin, is, to be etc. Finnish, Hungarian there may as well be from another planet, whereas the other easier languages share lexical cognates with English.

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

How on earth does Hungarian translate all that into a word and a bit

I'm surprised they had the dignity to make it more than one word.
            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 05-03-21, 14:40.

Comment

Lao Lao any idea what's going to happen with that shipwreck in cork that's been there a while now? Apparently some lads claimed it but it's pretty worthless at this stage and it seems the onus is on the Govt here to sort it but costs could run up to 10 mil.

Is this a regular worldwide occurrence or can you shed any light on it?

Comment

I recall Jared Diamond saying he speaks approx 10 languages and also can read Latin & Greek.

He said the toughest by far was Finnish not sure if Hungarian is one of his 10 though.

Comment

Wandavision finale was quite good and better than I expected. Two post credit scenes fyi.

SPOILER
                  Will be interesting to see what happens to Monica (Captain Marvel 2, Kree, Inhumans and Skrulls?), White Vision, the Darkhold Book (Nice tie-in back to Agents of Shield) and Scarlett Witch has loads of potential stories. Had a good chuckle at another destroyer of worlds.

Comment

Conor Hogan 6.30 Fundalk

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                      On houses, a two-bed restored post office has come up for sale near me. Not something I'd buy now but definitely would have considered it a couple of years ago. I think the finish on it is fantastic, if it wasn't Covid, I'd go for a look: https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detache...erford/2936025
                      is that a jacuzzi in the back?
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

I'll give da mudder a pass as I guess she was in school there pre 2008 which is when the ad was released
                        well, she was boasting that she wouldn't be getting the covid vaccine for a few weeks unlike 'the old people next door'

but not quite 2008...

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                          There is a fridge for Kosher meat in Churchtown Supervalu so must be still a decent sized community near that area
                          There is a quite aromatic halal buthers in the Eurospar in Lucan that'll hopefully soon be my local shop.

balfejohn Whats the timeframe, roughly, to quote, build and install a downstairs WC with a sink?

If all goes according to plan, I get keys on the 11th. I've from then to 31st March to paint, furnish, move and rennovate the place before we are out of the current place.
                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

For those who have been tortured by the thought for the last few hours, 'my underpants are on fire' in Japanese is:

私のパンツは燃えています

Comment

and Thai:

กางเกงในของฉันโดนไฟไหม้

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

There is a quite aromatic halal buthers in the Eurospar in Lucan that'll hopefully soon be my local shop.

balfejohn Whats the timeframe, roughly, to quote, build and install a downstairs WC with a sink?

If all goes according to plan, I get keys on the 11th. I've from then to 31st March to paint, furnish, move and rennovate the place before we are out of the current place.
                                Have u a drawing
                                can access be got into the existing house for a very quick survey

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                  Lao Lao any idea what's going to happen with that shipwreck in cork that's been there a while now? Apparently some lads claimed it but it's pretty worthless at this stage and it seems the onus is on the Govt here to sort it but costs could run up to 10 mil.

Is this a regular worldwide occurrence or can you shed any light on it?
                                  Wouldn't be my exact area really but as far as I know, unless the owners (and they need to be able to prove they own it, which can be harder than you think) stump up the cash to salvage it, the State, through the Dept of Revenue will be left to foot the bill for getting rid of it.

Comment

If we didn't know and love the auld Gaeilge, this would probably be a 3-Tren rating:

tá mo chuid fothaí trí thine

Comment

and Thai:

กางเกงในของฉันโดนไฟไหม้
                                      At least Japenese looks nice, I could imagine a relaxing session of drawing the characters but that is just painful. I can barely write in English let alone that.

Comment

What was the resolution of your ownership issue?
                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

At least Japenese looks nice, I could imagine a relaxing session of drawing the characters but that is just painful. I can barely write in English let alone that.
                                          Hindi looks a bit more interesting:

मेरे जांघों में आग लगी है

Hebrew also a bit

התחתונים שלי בוערים

Quite like the shape of Arabic:
                                          سروالي يحترق

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post

Have u a drawing
                                            can access be got into the existing house for a very quick survey
                                            Nope and Nope.
                                            It's a small understairs number if that helps.
                                            I'll try get something asap

Comment

Indian, these notes are really hard to play.

Hebrew, every letter is n half finished or with a flourish.

Arabic, how I do my signature when I'm not even trying to write my name.

Comment

Ok, at this stage I need a pint

Comment

Actually now you say it. There was a Jewish guy called Michael from there who I was friends with for ages. From poker. At some stage we ended up running tournaments together, i think. He had to leave Ireland in the end for maybe Manchester as he said there wasn't enough Jewish people left in Ireland for him to find a wife.
                                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I've come across a decent number of people who swear by halal meat as better quality. Not Muslim people, as they would have only tried halal. But non-Muslims from mixed countries where they've tried both meat styles and tend to prefer halal.

Comment

Actually now you say it. There was a Jewish guy called Michael from there who I was friends with for ages. From poker. At some stage we ended up running tournaments together, i think. He had to leave Ireland in the end for maybe Manchester as he said there wasn't enough Jewish people left in Ireland for him to find a wife.
                                                      Yeah, that was traditionally where the Irish Jews went to find partners. And then Israel too.

Although I think numbers have increased lately, mainly due to people coming to work in multinationals. Remember one dude joining us from NYC and being highly baffled by the lack of kosher signage on the food!

Comment

I've come across a decent number of people who swear by halal meat as better quality. Not Muslim people, as they would have only tried halal. But non-Muslims from mixed countries where they've tried both meat styles and tend to prefer halal.
                                                        I wonder if it's a cognitive thing.
                                                        Pay more = better
                                                        And maybe some idea that halal meat is fresher or not factory processed?

Comment

is that a jacuzzi in the back?
                                                          It looks like it. I'm going to do a little drive by some day soon for a look.

What's funny is that its probably not selling for 290k. There's not lots for sale in the area but when new build 3 beds are selling new for 220-230k closer to the beach/town, a 2 bed that bit further out just won't have the appeal.

You'd need someone with notions to get close to the asking

Comment

Merging the topics of Muslims and the Tenters area, many moons ago the aul lad had two Iranian lads lodging with him. Seemed sound but quite innocent. Cant remember why they were here, maybe studying, dunno.

Anyway Xmas day myself and the missus arrive up to his house for dinner. Into the kitchen we go and there's the two lads pissed as farts launching into the ham joint. "Bad Muslims, we very bad Muslims was all i could hear"

Fast forward to the summer and I ws driving through town and spot them leaving what must of been their new abode in the Liberties there with two yokels eyeing them up closely. I fully expected them to turn up floating in the Liffey at some stage.

Comment

Nope and Nope.
                                                              It's a small understairs number if that helps.
                                                              I'll try get something asap
                                                              Pm sent to you
                                                              #wewillgetitdone

Comment

Is there somewhere where you can look at newer/modern decor houses easily? I was looking last night and was not enthused by what is on offer in general.
                                                                I think some of the newer apartments look somewhat better but are apartments, not sure if the standards here are good enough to get an apartment. No better option than trawling through the dirty carpet places?

Like the little green space in the middle of that place Murdrum.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                  Is there somewhere where you can look at newer/modern decor houses easily? I was looking last night and was not enthused by what is on offer in general.
                                                                  I think some of the newer apartments look somewhat better but are apartments, not sure if the standards here are good enough to get an apartment. No better option than trawling through the dirty carpet places?

Like the little green space in the middle of that place Murdrum.
                                                                  My missus wrecks my head after looking at Pinterest whatever that is.

If i ever shipped the Euromilly I'd buy it and shut it down quicksmart, +EV move in the long run I'd imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Fast forward to the summer and I ws driving through town and spot them leaving what must of been their new abode in the Liberties there with two yokels eyeing them up closely. I fully expected them to turn up floating in the Liffey at some stage.
                                                                    Speaking of, the Liberties (and indeed associated areas like the Tenters and Pimlico) was strongly associated with the Huguenots who fled France for anyone interested in such things.

In the late 17th century development started in order to house the weavers who were moving into the area. Woolen manufacture was set up by settlers from England, while many Huguenots took up silk weaving, using skills they had acquired in their home country, France. They constructed their own traditional style of house, Dutch Billies, with gables that faced the street.[9] Thousands of weavers became employed in the Coombe, Pimlico, Spitalfields and Weavers' Square.[10]

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

Speaking of, the Liberties (and indeed associated areas like the Tenters and Pimlico) was strongly associated with the Huguenots who fled France for anyone interested in such things.

In the late 17th century development started in order to house the weavers who were moving into the area. Woolen manufacture was set up by settlers from England, while many Huguenots took up silk weaving, using skills they had acquired in their home country, France. They constructed their own traditional style of house, Dutch Billies, with gables that faced the street.[9] Thousands of weavers became employed in the Coombe, Pimlico, Spitalfields and Weavers' Square.[10]
                                                                      They the crowd with the cemetry on Merrion Row?

Comment

Yup.
                                                                        Person...Woman...Man......Camera..TV

Comment

I'd never heard of 'The Tenters' before today. Only came across it with the word tenterhooks which I'd thought of as tenderhooks 'till about 10 years ago.
                                                                          Last edited by ComradeCollie; 05-03-21, 19:33.

Comment

if I’m meeting someone in town I’d always say “by the graveyard on the green” and people generally haven’t a clue. It’s a nice piece of history

Comment

Years ago there was a meat factory locally that was shipping a huge amount of meat to Libya, it was all supposed to be halal and there were two Imam's and their extended families living in the town whose job was to perform the rituals and certify the meat was halal etc. They were no more bona fide Imam's than I am! The boys were Gadaffi appointees living the dream on serious money from the factory and they were rarely or never seen in the factory and no one ever bothered their arses actually making the meat halal the lads were only ever to be found in the pub or the bookies.

I always thought it was extremely disrespectful to package product as halal when it wasn't even if the whole thing is a load of bollocks.
                                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

What's funny is that its probably not selling for 290k. There's not lots for sale in the area but when new build 3 beds are selling new for 220-230k closer to the beach/town, a 2 bed that bit further out just won't have the appeal.

I heard something about that house before, I believe it was renovated to sell so with the finish I'd imagine there is a big margin built into the price.

A lad I know was out cycling near there on Thursday and it seems he had a heart attack and dropped dead there and then, only just about 60 and as fit and active a man as you'd meet, shocking altogether.

Comment

Cracking game in Thomond. Connacht are such a likable team.

Comment

Connacht and Munster very close in terms of quality tonight; I would think Leinster will steamroll Munster in the final based on what we saw! A bit shocking that Ulster could conceivably finish the season with a single Pro 14 loss and not make the final...

Comment

Jaysus strew - that was some trio of posts for diverse thoughts.

Comment

Do hate those 'drop dead in prime of health' stories. Same with Rik Mayell who I was reading about after he dropped dead between Season 1 and 2 of Man Down. Went out for a jog, came home and joked with his kid, sat down and never got up.

Comment

Do hate those 'drop dead in prime of health' stories. Same with Rik Mayell who I was reading about after he dropped dead between Season 1 and 2 of Man Down. Went out for a jog, came home and joked with his kid, sat down and never got up.
                                                                                          Funny fucker he was too. Some decent chuckles here.....

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

One of the modern comic greats and a funny man hero of mine.

I used to do Mayall/Edmonson/Atkinson-based skits to amuse my classmates (and before too long word spread and the teachers were asking to see them and I'd end up roping in several 'stooges' to put on a proper stand up show) at the end of term in the mid 80s when the Young Ones and Blackadder were in their first flush of success.

Not saying I was, like, Solks, or whatever but I got a few giggles I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Funny fucker he was too. Some decent chuckles here.....

His physical comedy was exquisite. Incredible and unmatched IMO in recent times in fact (physical comedy seems to be largely a thing of the past I think).

I'm sure he was way too crude for many aficionados but it does beg the question about how important British 'alternative' comedy was - Elton, Sayle, Comic Strip, Saturday Live etc in the early-mid 80 as a kick back against the end-of-pier sexist Carry On/Frankie Howard stuff... plenty of which may have escaped viewers here and before that Python, Sellers, Hancock, etc... and I won't hear a word against Kenneth Williams who was the world's first (or at least best) whip sharp gay/not gay granny-safe poofter.

Kenneth Williams Diary is the second hardest book I've read after Ulysses. That's how complex he and his life was. Took me several years to get through. Every page was the most exquisite pain. A darling demonstration of depression.

Would love to hear Hotspur's take (or anyone else for that matter)...
                                                                                              Last edited by BennyHiFi; 05-03-21, 23:34.

Comment

My missus wrecks my head after looking at Pinterest whatever that is.

If i ever shipped the Euromilly I'd buy it and shut it down quicksmart, +EV move in the long run I'd imagine.
                                                                                                42.8Bn USD at the moment, cheap after the tech sell off

Comment

€300 for a keg of Guinness. Ted I'm going mad.
                                                                                                  Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

I wonder what the line is on how long that will last. Don't think there's any descendents left related to those there.

Comment

When I first went to the UK in 1995 for uni the local library had tape cassettes of all the comedy greats (that you could listen to rather than watch). Goon Show, Tony Hancock, Blackadder, Just a Minute, the original radio version of Alan Patridge, just all that British comedy genius. But the librarian must have been a bit of a renegade as they also had Bottom on tape. Was just obsessed with it. Used to spend a few hours an evening listening to comedy in a tape recorder. Actually, when I eventually got a telly only about two years later, it was kind of a let down to actually see Blackadder and Bottom, as had imagined different characters based on their voices.

Edit: ah! see the clip is Bottom. Excellent!
                                                                                                      Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 06-03-21, 00:05.

Comment

The garden is very odd. Looks like the beer garden of a pub.

Comment

Merging the topics of Muslims and the Tenters area, many moons ago the aul lad had two Iranian lads lodging with him. Seemed sound but quite innocent. Cant remember why they were here, maybe studying, dunno.

Anyway Xmas day myself and the missus arrive up to his house for dinner. Into the kitchen we go and there's the two lads pissed as farts launching into the ham joint. "Bad Muslims, we very bad Muslims was all i could hear"

Might have told this one before.

I work with some Mauritian lads.

Went to lunch one time, three of us, me, our boss and Johnny from Mauritius. He changed his name to Johnny when he got here.

Ordered our food, myself and the boss ordered steak sandwiches, Johnny ordered a toasted ham sandwich.

A different waitress brings the food over, a really gorgeous dark girl. Asks who owns what and hands out the plates.

When she walks away Johnny goes 'She's Mauritian, I know by her accemt'

'Oh yeah?' I say.

She's passing by a few mins later and I call her over.

'Hey, are you from Mauritius?' I ask.

She smiles and says yes.

I say 'So is my friend here' and point at Johnny.

She looks at him and says 'Oh really?'

He goes..

'No. No I'm not'

She looks at me with a real confused almost pissed off face and walks off.

'Wtf Johnny?' I ask.

'I'm not supposed to be eating ham'

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

His physical comedy was exquisite. Incredible and unmatched IMO in recent times in fact (it seems to be largely a thing of the past).

I'm sure he was way too crude for many aficionados but it does beg the questions about how important British 'alternative' comedy was - Elton, Sayle, Comic Strip, Saturday Night Live etc...

Would love to hear Hotspur's take...
                                                                                                            I loved all of that, although I was extremely young at the time. I was seven at the time of The Young Ones and would be allowed to watch it as long as I first went to bed, and then I come down when it was on.

When you consider what Alternative comedy was an alternative to then it was massively important. Club comics with racist, sexist, and homophobic jokes or banal comics telling generic jokes they didn't write. Stand up comedy was mainly conservative, appealed to the status quo, and was stripped of its satire and power to undermine authority or social mores. So they might as well have been juggling acts in the main.

The energy, youthfulness, expressive, and anarchic thrust of the alternative comics was a real force in Britain coming out of the 70s into Thatcher's era. It had a strong effect imo on political correctness and undermined and ridiculed racism and its 'ism' comrades. I thought it was great and turned stand up into more of an art form.

A lot of it doesn't stand up too well now but I think that's actually a measure of it being a movement, revolutionary, and having an energy of a time. Stand up seems fairly dead again as an art form from its height in the 90s, but maybe it's just because I'm just old and out of touch. Still love a bit of Dave Chappelle though.

Comment

I'm gonna kinda make the rules up as I go along but hey, isn't that the spirit of IPB?

https://www.irishpokerboards.com/for...usic-king-2021

Put your name down and expect the unexpected!@

b

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                                                                                €300 for a keg of Guinness. Ted I'm going mad.
                                                                                                                What's that like €4 a pint?? Bargain. Send me your address there.

Comment

I'm gonna kinda make the rules up as I go along but hey, isn't that the spirit of IPB?

https://www.irishpokerboards.com/for...usic-king-2021

Put your name down and expect the unexpected!@

b
                                                                                                                  Put your name down here... https://www.irishpokerboards.com/for...usic-king-2021 ... and, indeed, any crazy ideas you might have

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

What's that like €4 a pint?? Bargain. Send me your address there.
                                                                                                                    Ha usually wouldn't mind but don't know you. Guy not too far from me got shut down very public. All over every news outlets.. bred a "nice mare".We just keep ourselves to ourselves. Probably 100+ attended my bar. 0% cases Keep out the Dubs or people that live in Dublin out and you're ok. Sorry lads.
                                                                                                                    Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

(or anyone else for that matter)...
                                                                                                                      Was rewatching some of Hancock's half hour recently. Still shocked that he died by suicide at only 44. Always think of him as a much older person.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

A lad I know was out cycling near there on Thursday and it seems he had a heart attack and dropped dead there and then, only just about 60 and as fit and active a man as you'd meet, shocking altogether.
                                                                                                                        I re-read that and saw Thursday as I immediately thought of another man from the area who died in a similar manner a few months ago. He was a mature student with me when I was in college, similar shocking situation.

Sorry to hear that. All my wife's family are heavily involved in cycling/triathlon down here so no doubts they know who you're talking about but I didnt hear anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post

Ha usually wouldn't mind but don't know you. Guy not too far from me got shut down very public. All over every news outlets.. bred a "nice mare".We just keep ourselves to ourselves. Probably 100+ attended my bar. 0% cases Keep out the Dubs or people that live in Dublin out and you're ok. Sorry lads.
                                                                                                                          Ah Pat.

You've no idea of whether your actions have resulted in zero cases. What safety measures are you taking inside, how do you sustain those measures when your punters are seven pints deep?

I've just looked at my Google maps timeline for Feb.

Home, home, home, home, Supervalu, home, home, home.

That's it. That's the month, that was the previous 2 months.

You're a sound fella, but unfort your actions will result in more months like that for me, and for everyone.

It's a massive pain in the hole, I know, and you obv feel you're doing no harm, but unfort it's not much different to insurance fraud in terms of how it affects wider society.
                                                                                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X