This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
    I'd say if there were camera phones back in the 80s and 90s a lot of us would have been cancelled a long time ago (or else still in the slammer with concurrent sentences)
    In case anyone thought I was insulting them my multiple like button request was to thank this Dice post.

Comment

I think it's pretty clear that a University would be within it's rights to impose serious sanctions on students for serious crimes like murder, rape etc. Having a party in it's own right doesn't fall into this bracket obviously. However..... based on the scenario we are in with Covid and the impact that a party can have i think the college would be well within its right to take sanctions. Expulsion may harsh perhaps as they are kids after all (even if technically adults) but the party has potentially far reaching and serious consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

I think it's pretty clear that a University would be within it's rights to impose serious sanctions on students for serious crimes like murder, rape etc. Having a party in it's own right doesn't fall into this bracket obviously. However..... based on the scenario we are in with Covid and the impact that a party can have i think the college would be well within its right to take sanctions. Expulsion may harsh perhaps as they are kids after all (even if technically adults) but the party has potentially far reaching and serious consequences.
        I don't think anyone thinks UL will actually expel students.

But they clearly do have the right to do so - and threatening to enforce it might thwart further stupid behaviour by students.
        It is not just 'students being students' (which ordinarily no-one would give two shits about); it is literally life-threatening behaviour in a pandemic and undermines all the efforts the rest of society is making. Nobody should be making excuses for that behaviour.

So, if the students could remember the simple rule of 'don't be a fucking dickhead' and act accordingly, then none of this would even be a conversation point...

Gordon Elliott could have obeyed the same rule and he'd also be in the clear.
        Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 04-03-21, 17:49.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post

In case anyone thought I was insulting them my multiple like button request was to thank this Dice post.
          I think I speak for everyone except dice in saying we all feel pretty insulted now.
          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Not going to embarrass myself on the Map quiz.

Are people still paying for things in cash?

I was in the Q for the NCT.
            1st guy has his dopey nose showing over his mask (really irritates me, it's almost like a target that demands punching!)
            2nd guy goes up and she asks him would he mind putting in his card in to pay
            "Im paying by cash" he says but definitely with a bit of attitude
            "We do prefer people to pay by card please"
            "I'll pay by card next time" he says getting smart
            "Well it's on the website that we ask people to pay by card if you dont mind"
            Perhaps upon realising that getting smart with the people who can pass or fail on fairly innocuous items is probably not the brightest idea hes had that day, el thicko suddenly finds his card, pretending he hadnt realised he had it with him..ffs

Just seems like theres assholes/morons everywhere

I dont mind people paying in cash if they're genuine about it obviously but being a cunt just to satisfy your cunty ego or your need to show defiance because you're a cunt is well just cuntish behaviour.
            In fact if he entered a "who's the biggest cunt competition" he would come second. Why?....because hes a cunt!

Comment

I'm paying by non-fungible token.

Come to think of it that guy way back who sent the drawing of the spider as payment may end up having overpaid if he NFTs it.

Comment

The nosers do seem to be a special breed.

I noticed a few lads getting on at the John o Gods stop and they were wearing visors. I spent half the bus ride thinking maybe they were on day release, but eventually worked out they were just normal people who'd made shockingly bad choices.
                Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 04-03-21, 20:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

But surely, expulsion is not the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Great tip thanks!

I assume Dicey didn't get on it
                    Was down collecting car from garage after ti failed NCT and cost me money. Ye fuckers.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

No it's not so perhaps some sort of graduated system (as someone mentioned earlier) where after a certain number of offences it could lead to expulsion. But first offence would be a lesser punishment. As i said, they are kids after all, they will make stupid choices, it's just a part of life. But there needs to be some degree of accountability for the more grievous ones.

Comment

Read a story in the newspaper yesterday about a guy who worked in a hospital as a hospital porter.

Developed a shockingly bad coke habit. So much that he got so high at work that he "dressed up as a dinosaur and had disrupted the evening drug administration round".

Then the hospital, knowing that you should not just fire someone without giving them a chance, arranged for him to go to rehab after spending six months on paid leave while they came up with a solution. And he turned around upon receiving the offer of (paid) rehab and said 'no, I don't want to go to rehab, I want to instead keep getting high and dressing up as a dinosaur in the hospital'.

And only at that point did they fire him.

And SIPTU, his union, were so outraged, that they represented him at his Workplace Appeals Tribunal.

I just find it an interesting contrast between how the real world works and how we want to destroy student lives for being sold digs with other students in a student village, with all pubs closed, and no classes, and then expect them to not have parties. Like that - and not a hospital worker getting high on coke, dressing up as a dinosaur at work and going up to nurses trying to inject patients with drugs - thats not our line.

I say this, because it was only two days ago and it barely made the back pages of the regular news, while people enjoying themselves is what made the front pages. It suggests our anger is partially righteous and partially excessively moralistic.
                        Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 04-03-21, 22:15.

Comment

Report of how students in the West turned a single infection into 442 confirmed cases. Which while being a bit old fashioned of a line up is still quite impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                            The nosers do seem to be a special breed.

I noticed a few lads getting on at the John o Gods stop and they were wearing visors. I spent half the bus ride thinking maybe they were on day release, but eventually worked out they were just normal people who'd made shockingly bad choices.
                            There's a couple of girls in my local Spar who wear these really weird clear plastic things that seem to me to be totally counter productive.

It's this chin strap thing with a clear plastic bit in the shape of a funnel cut in half.

It maybe stops breath and spit from landing on their hands, but instead, projects and amplifies it upwards.

Just wear a fucking mask.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Mr Crane I'm afraid expulsion is the only answer. It's the opinion of the entire staff that Hitch is criminally insane.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

There's a couple of girls in my local Spar who wear these really weird clear plastic things that seem to me to be totally counter productive.

It's this chin strap thing with a clear plastic bit in the shape of a funnel cut in half.

It maybe stops breath and spit from landing on their hands, but instead, projects and amplifies it upwards.

Just wear a fucking mask.

Yer wan that makes the hash browns . Gigiddy gogiddy

She's a model and she works in Spar...

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                  Report of how students in the West turned a single infection into 442 confirmed cases. Which while being a bit old fashioned of a line up is still quite impressive.
                                  Thats amazing
                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I can't believe we are debating unlikely to happen suspensions at a time when NUI students who breach guidelines all being made write a 'Reflective Essay'.

'How I started a 500 person cluster that killed my Granny'

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Mr Crane I'm afraid expulsion is the only answer. It's the opinion of the entire staff that Hitch is criminally insane.
                                      On a completely related note been playing the Joker soundtrack on the ramble down to Dunnes most days. Its a hell of a way to make the journey.

Comment

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Been having some really vivid dreams recently.
                                          During early covid when the temp got worse had the most vivid sharp dream I've ever had. Very simple without too many weird moving parts like you usually have. Looking back on it it was actually a representation of the disease itself and the fever fighting it.

Great crack dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                            However in you example (must ask my gf) I believe even Finnish is so different to Hungarian that it is more like the difference between English and Russian, both Indo-European languages, but incredibly different, grammar may be similar I think. They are on different branches of the family but very distant. For her I think something like Japanese is much easier to learn than English, and for us, both Japanese and Hungarian are quite hard. I should ask her more, she has a languages degree.
                                            Yeah ask, would be interested.
                                            Not saying that they are close. But wonder would a Finnish per Estonian native speaker pick Hungarian faster than a English or Spanish speaker.

Comment

Is there a reason why Terenure seems significantly cheaper than th surrounding places. Always mentally had it written down as a rich-ish area, but not sure I've ever been there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                Yeah ask, would be interested.
                                                Not saying that they are close. But wonder would a Finnish per Estonian native speaker pick Hungarian faster than a English or Spanish speaker.
                                                Hungarian and Basque, aren't they the two languages that totally puzzle linguists and anthropologists?

To take the Raoul University test, what does the phrase 'my underpants are on fire' look like in various European languages?
                                                And let's give them Tren ratings:

Basque:
                                                nire galtzontziloak sutan daude

Spanish:
                                                mis calzoncillos están en llamas

Hungarian:
                                                alsónadrágom ég

French:
                                                mon slip est en feu

Finnish:
                                                alushousuni ovat tulessa

German:
                                                Meine Unterhose brennt

Comment

Is there a reason why Terenure seems significantly cheaper than th surrounding places. Always mentally had it written down as a rich-ish area, but not sure I've ever been there.
                                                  Would have thought the suburbs to the east (Rathgar, Dartry, Ranelagh) have a higher social cachet than Terenure, which is a bit more mixed but also a nice area iirc. Traffic blackspot for sure.

Comment

Probably depends which part of Terenure you are talking about, some parts of "Terenure" can be a mixed bag.

Comment

No DART, no Luas - Terenure, Templeogue, Rathfarnham suffer as a result. I'm looking for a new house right now, needs to be within a walk of the Luas, DART or the N11 QBC for consideration. That's a lot of South Dublin to be fair! But nowhere west of Churchtown...

Comment

Read a story in the newspaper yesterday about a guy who worked in a hospital as a hospital porter.

Developed a shockingly bad coke habit. So much that he got so high at work that he "dressed up as a dinosaur and had disrupted the evening drug administration round".

Then the hospital, knowing that you should just fire someone without giving them a chance, rather than firing him arranged for him to go to rehab after spending six months on paid leave. And he turned around upon receiving the offer of (paid) rehab and said 'no, I don't want to go to rehab, I want to instead keep getting high and dressing up as a dinosaur in the hospital'.

And only at that point did they fire him.

And SIPTU, his union, were so outraged, that they represented him at his Workplace Appeals Tribunal.

I just find it an interesting contrast between how the real world works and how we want to destroy student lives for being sold digs with other students in a student village, with all pubs closed, and no classes, and then expect them to not have parties. Like that - and not a hospital worker getting high on coke, dressing up as a dinosaur at work and going up to nurses trying to inject patients with drugs - thats not our line.

I say this, because it was only two days ago and it barely made the back pages of the regular news, while people enjoying themselves is what made the front pages. It suggests our anger is partially righteous and partially excessively moralistic.
                                                        depends on if you consider the the public sector unions as living in the real world. A lot of members don’t think so.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                          No DART, no Luas - Terenure, Templeogue, Rathfarnham suffer as a result. I'm looking for a new house right now, needs to be within a walk of the Luas, DART or the N11 QBC for consideration. That's a lot of South Dublin to be fair! But nowhere west of Churchtown...
                                                          You are doing yourself a disservice. Sure you can hoof it into town from Terenure . Great spot. Bushy Park, Dodder nearby
                                                          Marley not far off . Some fine houses . I love that area.
                                                          Transport will all be centralised stations with feeders in coming years

Comment

Someone recommended Tenters as the up and coming area to me recently. Described it as 'the new Portobello'.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                              I think best is going to be very subjective. Especially when it's a genre know for churning them out.
                                                              I enjoyed the Alex Cross books I read. But didn't finish the series. Patterson definitely churns them out. Got maybe 8 books into the series, was 10 years ago, must be over 20 now.
                                                              Patterson has another long series. Women's Murder club.
                                                              For some reason just feel you need something uber long at the rate you get through the pageturners.

Trying to think what series has 50 books?
                                                              May not have been literal
                                                              Yeah I liked Alex Cross series years ago.
                                                              Got a bit formulaic
                                                              Quite liked John Connolly's Charlie Parker books too.
                                                              Michael Connelly’s Harry Bosch series (easy to mix up those two)
                                                              Wallander, Jack Reacher, Dublin Murder Squad were all ones I've enjoyed to some extent.
                                                              Jack Reacher as a detective series is a bit of a reach mind
                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Yeah, pain in the gee. Still mooting one and hopefully arrive by the time I have the travel pass. Thankfully I've never had to commute to town for work.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Yeah I liked Alex Cross series years ago.
                                                                  Got a bit formulaic
                                                                  Quite liked John Connolly's Charlie Parker books too.
                                                                  Michael Connelly’s Harry Bosch series (easy to mix up those two)
                                                                  Wallander, Jack Reacher, Dublin Murder Squad were all ones I've enjoyed to some extent.
                                                                  Jack Reacher as a detective series is a bit of a reach mind
                                                                  Watching Bosch on Prime atm, might give the books a go. Poirot popped into m head but I see that's only 33, not really a series though either.

Shrap completely right on I Am Pilgrim, such a captivating book.

Comment

Someone recommended Tenters as the up and coming area to me recently. Described it as 'the new Portobello'.
                                                                    I do think it's on the up! More like the new Stoneybatter though. No interest from me anyhow, I actively want to live in a suburban estate, hopefully my kids can enjoy the same experience I did growing up. Being able to walk out of your house, cross a quiet road and onto the local green to play, while being close to reliable public transport, is ideal IMHO. IrishMiddleAgedBoards.com, wha?

Comment

Probably depends which part of Terenure you are talking about, some parts of "Terenure" can be a mixed bag.
                                                                      give over you big softie. The hard streets of Terenure. Is this real life? Even if you're talking about "Terenure" (D12) as the estate agents like to, that's still Limekiln / Manor Farm and as all absolutely graaaaaaaaaaand.

Don't need a DART or LUAS when it's a 45 min walk to town or a 12 min cycle really.

Am sale agreed in the "up and coming" Kimmage right next door at present.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Hungarian and Basque, aren't they the two languages that totally puzzle linguists and anthropologists?

To take the Raoul University test, what does the phrase 'my underpants are on fire' look like in various European languages?

Basque:
                                                                        Spanish:
                                                                        Hungarian:
                                                                        French:
                                                                        Finnish:
                                                                        German:
                                                                        ah yeah but you can easily read that spanish one, understand, pronounce and translate it perfectly if you're a native English speaker
                                                                        Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

ah yeah but you can easily read that spanish one, understand, pronounce and translate it perfectly if you're a native English speaker
                                                                          I gave it an extra Tren for the humour factor of 'llamas'

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6OS68XVaZh0rIiaOMlJWFudtReaWAcEx68g&usqp=CAU.jpg

Comment

Some UK based one's I'd recommend.
                                                                            Mark Billingham's DS Tom Thorne books are very good, have to be read it order as there is continuous spoilers for previous books. They have a huge similarity in style to the Bosch books.
                                                                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_B...m#Tom_Thorne_2

Mo Hayder's DS Jack Caffrey books are ostensibly detective fiction but are amongst the nastiest I've read, almost approaching horror stories. Definitely need to be read in order as there's one overriding plot arc of a personal case that continues from book to book.
                                                                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mo_Hayder

On a lighter note, if you've ever fancied dipping your toes into Tartan noir, then Chris Brookmyre is worth a shot.
                                                                            His Jack Parlabane series is the main one - he's an investigative crime journalist as opposed to a detective but much the same concept. Again best to read in order but not essential. They veer from outright comedy to unexpected gritty gore, often on the same page.
                                                                            Written in Scottish, Irving Welch style.
                                                                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ...Jack_Parlabane

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

give over you big softie. The hard streets of Terenure. Is this real life? Even if you're talking about "Terenure" (D12) as the estate agents like to, that's still Limekiln / Manor Farm and as all absolutely graaaaaaaaaaand.

Don't need a DART or LUAS when it's a 45 min walk to town or a 12 min cycle really.

Am sale agreed in the "up and coming" Kimmage right next door at present.
                                                                              I did see a TikTok recently of someone questioning whether Kimmage actually exists or was it all just a scam by the monopoly board folks. As nobody really knows where it is or knows anyone who is from there. You've just spoiled that now you Kimmage Kabbage.

Comment

I did see a TikTok recently of someone questioning whether Kimmage actually exists or was it all just a scam by the monopoly board folks. As nobody really knows where it is or knows anyone who is from there. You've just spoiled that now you Kimmage Kabbage.
                                                                                it's one of those small suburban areas that gets dominated by its bigger neighbours like Crumlin

Comment

The auld canary that sounds like Solks and sings about carbon monoxide alarms is surely from there. I see his young one sings with him now on the new ad and she's called Drimnagh. Good solid name for any of ye expecting a new female arrival.

Comment

Tenters is a cool name. Never heard it before. Something about an old fabric industry in the area and the sheets flying in the wind, reminiscent of tents. It's what the folks who worked in those factories with poisonous fumes would have wanted if they hadn't been killed in their prime by dodgy work conditions - people moving in to the neighbourhood and demanding oatmilk in their lattes.

Comment

The auld canary that sounds like Solks and sings about carbon monoxide alarms is surely from there. I see his young one sings with him now on the new ad and she's called Drimnagh. Good solid name for any of ye expecting a new female arrival.
                                                                                      Can you just call your kid whatever you want in Ireland. Like could you call your kid Unicorn if you so desired?

Comment

Can you just call your kid whatever you want in Ireland. Like could you call your kid Unicorn if you so desired?
                                                                                        I think the registrar can refuse a name if it's just ludicrous and\or offensive.

Unicorn would I guess be fine but not BadassMuthafucka O'Toole III

Comment

No idea. It is a makebelieve singing Dublin canary with a green quiff tbf.

Comment

Hungarian:
                                                                                            How on earth does Hungarian translate all that into a word and a bit

nowhere west of Churchtown...

Comment

ha. i did not know that. my tiktok algorithm is mainly optimised towards bouncy breasts in fairness. I generally try not to like anything that is not bouncy breast related so as not to confuse the algorithm.

Comment

TOPICAL 3 lovely lassies from Kimmage

Comment

Many a scrimmage in Kimmage .

Comment

My fav ad of all time . The 1st one.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                      That's really cool but almost certainly an oversimplification. Silhouette died in 1767 but the term was not recorded in any known writing until 1783. There is also a suggestion, likely by his apologists, that Silhouette himself did outline drawings of others and hung them in his home. It could have been a means of justifying the slur as something less scathing. Or neither could be true and there may be an entirely different explanation. This is one etymology where people have just decided they like the explanation of him as a skin-flint austerity politician.

You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Northern Ireland has hit a new milestone with 500k vaccinated. They will do the Catholics next .

Comment

On houses, a two-bed restored post office has come up for sale near me. Not something I'd buy now but definitely would have considered it a couple of years ago. I think the finish on it is fantastic, if it wasn't Covid, I'd go for a look: https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detache...erford/2936025

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                                            On houses, a two-bed restored post office has come up for sale near me. Not something I'd buy now but definitely would have considered it a couple of years ago. I think the finish on it is fantastic, if it wasn't Covid, I'd go for a look: https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detache...erford/2936025
                                                                                                            that looks really good (some of the bedroom\bathroom stuff is a bit OTT) but some job on a building of that age. The energy rating is impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                                              wow!

Comment

I think the registrar can refuse a name if it's just ludicrous and\or offensive.

Jayminators new moniker!

Comment

Bit unfair that it was OK for the father and grandad.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post

Bit unfair that it was OK for the father and grandad.
                                                                                                                    BadassMuthafucka O'Toole Senior and Junior.

Comment

Musical contribution to feel good Friday

Comment

Watched that home of the year show and while each to their own on what colour palette they wish to use, i would have been pissed if i owed the middle place, thought it was really nice.
                                                                                                                        Last edited by oleras; 05-03-21, 12:50.
                                                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Listening to Claire Byrne Show this morning for a bit. That Jennifer Carroll MacNeill is a serious performer. She really showed up that imbecile Michael McNamara. She is nailed on for the next ministerial vacancy.
                                                                                                                          Also, for GAB, see they're advertising for a CEO for the Curragh Racecourse (or is Chairman more your thing at thus stage)?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X