This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I think its fairly clear how an 80-year-old dude who grew up on James Bond movies is going to play this one.
    SO....AAAAHHH, I know we have gone over the whole you and maths thing on here before but this title of expert in personal finance the Independent gave you recently?

Does being able to count not come into this?

Joe Biden...78
    First Bond movie... Dr No 1962

Joe would have been...?
    PMA

Comment

Watching Briarpatch at the moment. Not particularly well-rated and got cancelled after the first season, but seems a pity as there some fairly obvious strokes of excellence to it. The filming style is glorious, a bit like Better Call Saul in parts. Its got some problems, but you'd imagine with a second season those could have been ironed out.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post

SO....AAAAHHH, I know we have gone over the whole you and maths thing on here before but this title of expert in personal finance the Independent gave you recently?

Does being able to count not come into this?

Joe Biden...78
        First Bond movie... Dr No 1962

Joe would have been...?
        At what age do you feel people stop growing? Is it reach 18 and done? I'd imagine a lot of us did our major maturing in uni, in our twenties and thirties. A bit in our forties. Who knows maybe our fifties and sixties will be big decades too. You never stop growing if you don't want to elshambo, you just need to believe you can grow.

Comment

At what age do you feel people stop growing? Is it reach 18 and done? I'd imagine a lot of us did our major maturing in uni, in our twenties and thirties. A bit in our forties. Who knows maybe our fifties and sixties will be big decades too. You never stop growing if you don't want to elshambo, you just need to believe you can grow.
          What part did movies about a rapist spy, who announces himself as a spy to the bad guy as soon as plot possible, play in your process of maturing later in life ?
          PMA

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post

What part did movies about a rapist spy, who announces himself as a spy to the bad guy as soon as plot possible, play in your process of maturing later in life ?
            I don't know, I'm just spitballing here!

However any modern leader should focus on the challenges of tomorrow in Asia and Africa, but the challenges of yesterday. Although I'm sure China and India would love Biden to be distracted by Russia. Its only a $6 trillion dollar difference now ($15tn vs $21tn) between the US and China and the US should be devoting every second of their time coming up with smart* plans to handle this new economic reality of the US being less than a decade away from being a second rate economic power.

* smart, as in actually smart and mutually productive. Not stupid plans like economic blocades where everyone loses.

Comment

BLOBs are becoming the bane of my life. I did make a Mr Blobby joke on a call earlier that fell flat. How do people from India not recognise the unique cultural figure that is Noel Edmonds!
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                The blue bananas are meant t be like icecream, gotta be bs. Though freezing and thawing a banana can make something very similar to an icecream, can't imagine one bieng like it off the bat..
                I've looked into this in the past more extensively than is reasonable. The idea of a blue banana that tasted like vanilla ice cream would make up for a lot of the bad things in the world. Pretty sure I've posted on here about it. Anyhoos, having watched various video reviews of people eating their first one it doesn't appear to really taste like vanilla ice cream, but all agree it's very tasty.

The bananas we know (99% of exported bananas are the Cavendish) may become extinct soon as they are being attacked by Panama disease which it was once resistant to. And given that they're sterile they cannot evolve their way out of it.

I think I should do a monthly Banana Watch segment.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

I've looked into this in the past more extensively than is reasonable. The idea of a blue banana that tasted like vanilla ice cream would make up for a lot of the bad things in the world. Pretty sure I've posted on here about it. Anyhoos, having watched various video reviews of people eating their first one it doesn't appear to really taste like vanilla ice cream, but all agree it's very tasty.

The bananas we know (99% of exported bananas are the Cavendish) may become extinct soon as they are being attacked by Panama disease which it was once resistant to. And given that they're sterile they cannot evolve their way out of it.

I think I should do a monthly Banana Watch segment.
                  I remember driving through banana plantations in Northern Arsetralia and all the tree trunks were covered with what looked like tinfoil. Presumably to deter some class of scavengers but can't work out what.

Comment

HR have asked me to do an inter country Jerusalem dance off. I responded 'only if I can do it Naked ' . An excellent tactic as I'm off the team. Phewww.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                      HR have asked me to do an inter country Jerusalem dance off. I responded 'only if I can do it Naked ' . An excellent tactic as I'm off the team. Phewww.
                      How awful. Organizations tripping over themselves trying to give off a Lego movie style "everything is awesome" when you work for us cringe vibe.

Fcuking guards out dancing around the country must be leaving some unsupported crime victims with a bad taste in their mouth. Sorry sergeant, the drone didn't get that last take. Reset and do it again. Five hours later. Double time OT.

John Player Tops will be back next.

</rant>
                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

This Ruby Roman grape video is still one of my fav fruit-related videos. That fruit shop looks divine!

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                          Fcuking guards out dancing around the country must be leaving some unsupported crime victims with a bad taste in their mouth.
                          You're making a play for PSV's crown aren't you? You've been slowly consolidating your position recently, and hoping to take advantage of the fact that he's probably blocked by half the people here.

Comment

Strewelpeter do I recall you having bees? I was watching that show The Missing and the lead has become a bee hobbyist in his spare time but he can't get them to produce honey. I thought of you watching it and was wondering if I was getting confused.

I know someone else on here has them but don't want to tag as I'm not 100% sure. Anyway I've since checked and it does seem like a pretty hard thing to get right.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                              Strewelpeter do I recall you having bees? I was watching that show The Missing and the lead has become a bee hobbyist in his spare time but he can't get them to produce honey. I thought of you watching it and was wondering if I was getting confused.

I know someone else on here has them but don't want to tag as I'm not 100% sure. Anyway I've since checked and it does seem like a pretty hard thing to get right.
                              brianmc is the bee man.
                              This too shall pass.

Comment

My sister has bee hives on a huge farm, they don't take the honey, let them have the craic with it.

Comment

Forgive how silly this question is, but can you buy lottery tickets with debit cards? Have an inkling that tonight is my night to win the €210m on the euromillions, but vaguely remember overhearing someone trying to buy scratch cards (maybe not the same thing) with a card the other day and being turned down as its cash only. But wasn't fully listening to the conversation.

Comment

My sister has bee hives on a huge farm, they don't take the honey, let them have the craic with it.
                                    Did you ever see that bee documentary, Honeyland? It was a big enough feature of that about always leaving the bees enough honey.

Comment

Forgive how silly this question is, but can you buy lottery tickets with debit cards? Have an inkling that tonight is my night to win the €210m on the euromillions, but vaguely remember overhearing someone trying to buy scratch cards (maybe not the same thing) with a card the other day and being turned down as its cash only. But wasn't fully listening to the conversation.
                                      You can do the lotto online with a debit card. They stopped accepting credit cards recently.
                                      Person...Woman...Man......Camera..TV

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

brianmc is the bee man.
                                        That's who I thought it was but wasn't sure as plenty of @Brians

Originally posted by Hitch View Post
                                        Forgive how silly this question is, but can you buy lottery tickets with debit cards?
                                        Yeah just on www.lottery.ie, I only ever do ridiculous sized Euromillion draws on it, might need ID though.

Comment

I don't want to go to the hassle of registering an account. Think I had an account and then it was shut down for lack of use, so it might be hassle to restart it. Does that mean you can't buy with your card in shops?

Comment

Now i have to deposit to lottery.ie...FOMO
                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

You can do the lotto online with a debit card. They stopped accepting credit cards recently.
                                              You can pay with honey in our local one jar of honey for 2 lines with the plus

Comment

Now i have to deposit to lottery.ie...FOMO
                                                If you end up splitting it with me you prick i will track you down and break your bbq shelter. I have very specific plans that need the full €210 million.

Comment

If you end up splitting it with me you prick i will track you down and break your bbq shelter. I have very specific plans that need the full €210 million.
                                                  1st you have to get past the cryptic lottery.ie lodge money process. If you are stuck I've a 4 year old here can help you. .

Comment

I've three hives here but No2 Daughter is supposedly the beekeeper, they haven't been very productive yet but hoping to get a good haul this year.

brianmc is the bee man.
                                                    Brian is the man, top class beekeeper.

I can't even... not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Why the fuck would anyone want to keep honeybees as pets, they are in no way endangered or scarce, just put up bee boxes, sow flowers and create habitats (maybe if we called them safe spaces ) for some of the other hundred odd native species of bees that are in deep shit. Grrrrrrrrrrr and people wonder at why I get frustrated at veganism, what a crock of shite

Attached Files
                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

If I sound like a cunt today that's because I am.
                                                      Went off on one in work over a short term workaround for someone else's bug that I hacked in 5 years ago. Now its needed again in another spot and I'm dragging up mails from 5 years ago and doing the usual dev prima donna act before obviously doing everyone the favour of fixing up their mess again

Sometimes its fun to be the dickhead

Comment

You're all playing for 2nd. At least you weren't a mug like Ed, wasted his luck on a measly 2k

Comment

And that's nothing to the mood I will be in if Never Mistabeat runs any way well in the first at Fundalk, we have one who has had an endless stream of issues and setback but has suddenly appeared to find herself in absolutely flying form and destroying that stablemate on the gallops but I can confidently predict that form will vanish and she'll be running like one of BJ's tips that Dice has backed by the time we manage to find a race for her

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                            I can't even... not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Why the fuck would anyone want to keep honeybees as pets, they are in no way endangered or scarce, just put up bee boxes, sow flowers and create habitats (maybe if we called them safe spaces ) for some of the other hundred odd native species of bees that are in deep shit. Grrrrrrrrrrr and people wonder at why I get frustrated at veganism, what a crock of shite

It has nothing to do with veganism, they were just inherited by her boyfriend, who is rewilding a lot of the farm and they have left the bees bee for now.

Comment

It has nothing to do with veganism, they were just inherited by her boyfriend, who is rewilding a lot of the farm and they have left the bees bee for now.
                                                              Bees be Bees

That great and I'm sure they are doing great things for bio diversity with the rewilding, I hope they can make a living along with it, GL to them.

Comment

FML

Finished second so I lose my bet as well, today is going swimmingly
                                                                Last edited by Strewelpeter; 26-02-21, 15:09.

Comment

If I sound like a cunt today that's because I am.
                                                                  Went off on one in work over a short term workaround for someone else's bug that I hacked in 5 years ago. Now its needed again in another spot and I'm dragging up mails from 5 years ago and doing the usual dev prima donna act before obviously doing everyone the favour of fixing up their mess again

Sometimes its fun to be the dickhead
                                                                  I'm a month into my new job today and am rapidly coming to the conclusion I was sold a pup, whereby I am expected to either clean up or else be the fall guy for a shitshow of epic proportions. Plus I am now a manager again which is my idea of hell. Yay.

Didn't back your horse which would have pissed me off even more as it looked to be a case of the best horse in the race managing to get beat.

Comment

I always do it with debit card no problem in shops. Did it earlier in Post Offoce as was in there but for some reason they only could give me on line at a time so paid 4 times with debit

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I'm a month into my new job today and am rapidly coming to the conclusion I was sold a pup, whereby I am expected to either clean up or else be the fall guy for a shitshow of epic proportions. Plus I am now a manager again which is my idea of hell. Yay.

Didn't back your horse which would have pissed me off even more as it looked to be a case of the best horse in the race managing to get beat.
                                                                      I guess the issue then becomes:

- is it maybe such a shitshow that even a small improvement will make you look like a god

- is it such a shitshow that no one will know if you are doing a good or a bad job

- do you need to parlay it rapidly into an exit plan as it will explode soon

- would a year in the position give you even more uplift in an exit plan

- can it be fixed and then you get annointed as the midas touch

(I'd imagine we all want to assign 100% to the last possibility, but maybe the smart money recognises the other four routes as very valid).

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                        I always do it with debit card no problem in shops. Did it earlier in Post Offoce as was in there but for some reason they only could give me on line at a time so paid 4 times with debit
                                                                        I went into a grandly named Eurospar in the end. Said can I have eight lines. She said well it's six per sheet. So do you want six lines and two lines. She looked a bit worried as if counting above six wasn't covered in training so I settled for six lines. It seems you can indeed pay with a card.
                                                                        ​​​

Comment

I went into a grandly named Eurospar in the end. Said can I have eight lines. She said well it's six per sheet. So do you want six lines and two lines. She looked a bit worried as if counting above six wasn't covered in training so I settled for six lines. It seems you can indeed pay with a card.
                                                                          ​​​
                                                                          "Two line quickpick scoops €210 Million in Eurospar"

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

"Two line quickpick scoops €210 Million in Eurospar"
                                                                            The Hitch Sino-Russo Foundation of Ireland, founded 2021.
                                                                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Welcome back.

I have been in this position for a bit, except its not so much fall guy as it is, this company just doesn't really get it. Poor leadership has made a company of yes men.
                                                                              I now have the option of being a yes man, and taking the paycheck, or moving and likely getting paid less.

I have been furiously working on my own app recently as an outlet for my frustration.

Is there a way you can just let it burn down around you and not stress? Cos thats my poor poor advice.
                                                                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

I think Dice was referring to the 2 lines he left to the next punter.
                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

- is it maybe such a shitshow that even a small improvement will make you look like a god

- is it such a shitshow that no one will know if you are doing a good or a bad job

(I'd imagine we all want to assign 100% to the last possibility, but maybe the smart money recognises the other four routes as very valid).

Option 4.
                                                                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Looking for something to hang in my office. Saw this, feel it could suit this new foundation: https://www.donedeal.ie/antiques-for...ivery/27359275

Comment

Would be the icing on the cake to get the €210m AND save on those two extra lines.

Comment

All good questions and my analysis had not gone into such fine-grained taxonomical classifications of shitshow, beyond the ability to recognise a shitshow when I am in one.

On reflection it's probably mostly B and I should just kick back and wait for the thing to explode. Frustrating though.

Comment

Would be the icing on the cake to get the €210m AND save on those two extra lines.
                                                                                          Would clearly not be as enjoyable as winning the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp though.

Comment

Ah management, the joy of spending 95% of your time trying to get other people to just do the fucking job they're paid to do...

Comment

Emmet any chance you're going again on the snap - have a double buggy to shift

Comment

You can buy all the icing lines you want once you win the 210m

Comment

Pretty impressive amount to be shipping in the one go
                                                                                                  Authorities in Germany and Belgium seized more than 23,000 kilograms (50,700 pounds) of cocaine, worth billions of dollars, in an international operation that resulted in one arrest, officials said Wednesday, calling it the largest amount of cocaine ever seized in Europe.
                                                                                                  Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                                                                    Wowsers!

Comment

Win the largest ever Euromillions jackpot tonight and you couldn't even buy a fraction of it

Comment

Win the largest ever Euromillions jackpot tonight and you couldn't even buy a fraction of it
                                                                                                        seems like a bit of an amateur play to have it all in one consignment

Speaking of which, I'm sure Lao Lao could tell us some tales...

Comment

Street value no, wholesale definitely

Comment

seems like a bit of an amateur play to have it all in one consignment
                                                                                                            Maybe that's just the bit they left for plod to find whilst the big consignment went out on the other truck.

Comment

​​​
                                                                                                              I remember asking for €20 phone credit in Xtravision and the girl said 'sorry, we' ve none left, all sold out'

I said 'do you have €10 credit?'

'yes'

'Can I have 2x €10 credit then please'
                                                                                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

​​​
                                                                                                                Ufff, would you not have gone 4 lines plus 4 lines?
                                                                                                                Seems risky not to be spreading the variance out.
                                                                                                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Think I would genuinely rather scoop the Irish Lotto on a wet Wednesday, enough to make up a nice pension, than a stupidly large Euro pot that would be a full time job to manage.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                                    And bananas with different colours and flavours. Imagine how much better life would be with these available in Ireland...

Cooking-Bananas-578fd68c3df78c09e97422a4.jpg
                                                                                                                    hb-blue-java-bananas-1556309212.jpg?crop=0.945xw:0.859xh;0.00864xw,0.0597xh&amp;resize=480:*.jpg
                                                                                                                    6Red-Bananas.jpg
                                                                                                                    Fucking Big Fruit just giving us 99% Cavendish.

The Irish guys behind fyffes always seemed particularly inept at running a business that was a virtual monopoly.
                                                                                                                    Last edited by Denny Crane; 26-02-21, 20:03.

Comment

Think I would genuinely rather scoop the Irish Lotto on a wet Wednesday, enough to make up a nice pension, than a stupidly large Euro pot that would be a full time job to manage.
                                                                                                                      I've always imagined V for V would be happy to manage it (part time) for a good while for about 2% of the gross.
                                                                                                                      Person...Woman...Man......Camera..TV

Comment

Must be a particularly tough time for them. No other movement to hide stuff in.

Was just thinking the other day that the guards would probably be reasonable in being suspicious of anyone going to an ATM. What use would anyone have for cash other than coke and hookers, and illegal builders.

Comment

Grayson Perry's art club on Channel 4 is a proper little gem of a programme. He's a very impressive dude the Reith lectures he did for the BBC a couple of years ago were very good and I was very taken with this pot of his that in the Kelvingrove in Glasgow, right beside a most impressive Harry Clarke window

1*J3P5N0tYGDeuCQbgEtXX7w.png

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X