X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

DeadParrot ahead of the curve again
    Long discussion yesterday on NBA Topshot. One of the more curious things is the lack of need for a blockchain, it's simply been smuggled in to drive hype. Dapper Labs own the transaction, they are the technically the buyer, seller & processor so while the ledger is public knowledge, it's not decentralised. They own the whole thing end to end.

It works off the Flow system over Ethereum which is newer and more scalable-I'm told- but no real use case for the blockchain element in this system.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I'd say you've horsed into a few filly steaks in your time. (coat already on and halfway out the door)
      makes awesome steak tartare.

i'd read somewhere that the french equine butcher market was massively responsible for the continuation of the huge number of horse breed lines. Without it, so many would have gone extinct.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
        What’s normal procedure when a horse drops dead in a yard. Does everyone in the yard gather for a memorial, say a few words about the deceased, maybe a wake followed by a civilised sendoff with a tasteful coffin? Everyone walking around sadly with tears in their eyesfor next few days?
        apparently, you either sit on it and wav at the lads, ride it like it was going over bechers brooks, OR failing that stick a cattle prod up it’s arse. Take your pick.

Comment

What do we think should happen?

He should get a lengthy ban imo. The optics of this (especially in a minority sport that gets vast amounts of taxpayer largesse, directly and indirectly) are shocking.
          I don't know what's best, really tough decisions facing owners and IHRB.
          In the short term I would probably lean towards him doing something radical like rescinding his licence bringing in an outsider to oversee the yard, maybe ask the IHRB only to produce an interim report while he walks away (and properly away like to Australia for a long holiday) for 6 months.
          Let him come back take whatever punishment he gets and try to rebuild

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
          The performative uproar from the horse racing insiders is hilarious, their annoyance at GE is not about the lack of respect for the animal it’s about the curtain being pulled back.
          Fair play, you're free to misrepresent what has been happening to inflate your own prejudices.
          The fact is that all the genuine hurt sadness and upset I'm hearing is coming from inside racing from outside most of what I see is 'I told ya so' gloating and raising of pitchforks from the usual suspects. But hey I really don't want this to be a push me pull you with the antis, racing will deal with this honestly and effectively or it will reap the whirlwind.

Anyone in the industry actually sticking their heads up above the parapet and saying anything?
          It would be hard for me to understate how deeply saddened and upset people in racing are about this, I've had great days and horrible days with horses but this is a different level of disgust, anger, frustration annoyance and mostly just sadness. Not everyone is shouting from the rooftops or taking to twitter and Liveline but most realised from the moment the photo appeared what the scale of the impact would be, they knew that because they knew how it made them feel. I think it is hard for people within the game to separate their feelings of disgust and shame from their concern for the damage this does to them personally and to the industry and sport as a whole. There are also huge difficulties for people prominent in Irish racing in commenting publicly beyond expressing their disgust. Mostly people are reacting introspectively with consideration and honesty in trying to figure out how to deal with this.

Despite all the coverage and my own disdain for the people involved fairness and justice have to be the guiding principle. If we were looking at evidence of them being cruel to the animals in their care I would be happy to see them all ruined and shunned for life. This is something different and even if we were to fully buy into his description of the circumstances the questions of character and judgment demand a punishment that fits the crime.
          Last edited by Strewelpeter; 02-03-21, 12:01.
          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
            even if we were to fully buy into his description of the circumstances the questions of character and judgment demand a punishment that fits the crime.
            It's such a bizarre thing for a successful forty-something professional to do, that's what I don't get.
            Presumably no drink involved or anything either given it's the middle of the working day.

If it had been some eighteen year-old dope of a stable lad, it would be very different.

I think he has to fall on his own sword, beg forgiveness and start plotting a comeback in silence far away from the public lens.
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Comment

Apology from Rob James https://www.newstalk.com/sport/jocke...-horse-1158293
                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

DeadParrot ahead of the curve again
                  where does one go about buying NFTs?
                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

where does one go about buying NFTs?
                    Global Fantasy Football. Collect limited edition digital collectibles, Manage your team and earn prizes!
                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

oh thats what that is?!

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

I'm not sure this 'nod and a wink' method would fly, because this story has so dramatically moved beyond the confines of the racing industry.
                        Time is very short for Cheltenham as well. Presumably (GAB???) there's some sort of fit and proper person test for a new trainer which would normally be a formality completed in a few hours.
                        But this time they'd actually have to do it thoroughly and be convinced that there's no story going to immediately come out about your Mr Y assistant trainer. Because the press will be ready to pounce.
                        Envoi Allen gone to HdB, well at least according to rumour.

Confirmed
                        Last edited by DeadParrot; 02-03-21, 13:38.
                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

oh thats what that is?!
                          Yeah.
                          It's interesting, I picked up cards for next to nothing and am turning quite the profit as the hype grows
                          sorare.com/r/deadparrot for the added bonus of potential free cards

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                            Is horse meat halal?
                            Its about how its killed, no? For any meat. As in, horse meat can be either halal or non-halal depending on the way the horse is killed. Something to do with bleeding it out maybe. You might be thinking of kosher, which i think is more definitive on a product being yes or no.

Comment

Sending the third payment this year of €3k+ to the kids school, really highlights the poor decision making that led to choosing their school. And its only 3k because the creche and activities are off due to covid. Think its normally €5k per trimester. Not sure we fully thought this one through.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

I'm not sure this 'nod and a wink' method would fly, because this story has so dramatically moved beyond the confines of the racing industry.
                                Time is very short for Cheltenham as well. Presumably (GAB???) there's some sort of fit and proper person test for a new trainer which would normally be a formality completed in a few hours.
                                But this time they'd actually have to do it thoroughly and be convinced that there's no story going to immediately come out about your Mr Y assistant trainer. Because the press will be ready to pounce.

In almost any other case I think everyone would be satisfied with the bona fides of the assistant trainer and let me be clear I know close to nothing of Ian Amond personally. he does come over in interviews as a man who is on top of his his job but I think in this specific case an outsider would be a helpful direction to go.

Comment

Hitchhiker's Guide To... If you come across the names involved in this Davy story will you PM me, please.

Comment

Should have had that bet with Dead Parrott really.

Comment

Sending the third payment this year of €3k+ to the kids school, really highlights the poor decision making that led to choosing their school. And its only 3k because the creche and activities are off due to covid. Think its normally €5k per trimester. Not sure we fully thought this one through.
                                      So you to fork out 15k * 2 p.a. for primary school fees? That's British levels of madness, you've got to earn 60k to pay that 30k in this country.

Doesn't speak to highly of your professional opinion of what's available for free within our education system either....

Comment

Its about how its killed, no? For any meat. As in, horse meat can be either halal or non-halal depending on the way the horse is killed. Something to do with bleeding it out maybe. You might be thinking of kosher, which i think is more definitive on a product being yes or no.
                                        It's a mixture, as in certain meat is not halal (i.e. it is completely forbidden or haram) like pork but then other meat is allowed, but must be killed in accordance with halal. And, much like their close friends, the Jews, lots of Muslims just ignore these dietary rules anyway.

Comment

So you to fork out 15k * 2 p.a. for primary school fees? That's British levels of madness, you've got to earn 60k to pay that 30k in this country.

Doesn't speak to highly of your professional opinion of what's available for free within our education system either....
                                          pretty sure that's for the 2 (and includes after school care)

UK is waaayyyy over that

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

UK is waaayyyy over that
                                            oh, OK.

It's still fucking nuts in an Irish context.

Comment

Not quite. Its more that all the good school places aren't really available to people newly arrived in a country. If you have spaces available for e.g. a 9 year old in Dublin, its probably because you aren't a particularly highly regarded school.

Comment

Anyone on here make the shortlist?

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

UK is waaayyyy over that
                                                  oh yeah - that!

ah its not too bad, they get a decent international perspective on life

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                    LOL that Hilarious, Pontins ban c. 30% of all travellers and 90% of Donegal

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                      Proud to stand with my Traveller brothers on the list of the banned.

Comment

oh, OK.

It's still fucking nuts in an Irish context.
                                                        Really not that bad imo, especially when i remember paying 1k per child per month for creche

and it's a great school with before and after school care (that on it's own in Dublin would be very pricey) and where bilingualism is the norm

Comment

oh yeah - that!

ah its not too bad, they get a decent international perspective on life
                                                          Keep the 15k.

Spend it on several fine holidays p.a.

'decent international perspective' sorted.

Seems like you are battling to justify this one to yourself tbh.....

Comment

Really not that bad imo, especially when i remember paying 1k per child per month for creche

and it's a great school with before and after school care (that on it's own in Dublin would be very pricey) and where bilingualism is the norm
                                                            Sure Ireland is a bilingual country already.

What need have we, the largest English-speaking country in the EU, of your fancy foreign languages?

Comment

Seems like you are battling to justify this one to yourself tbh.....
                                                              A little bit! We'll almost certainly keep it up nevertheless, as I'm just pig-stupid like that.

Comment

My thinking - but it is limited:

1. Africa is going to be ginormous when the kids reach their peak earning years, and being able to speak French and English covers just about the whole continent.

2. Being fluent in French (which would be lost if don't go to a French school) opens up the possibility of easily learning Spanish to near fluent level. So thats most of Latin America covered.

3. They can treat France is a second country, and being connected to the continent is kinda cool. Its a whole different culture and interesting perspective. They could e.g. go to uni there.

4. The school itself is amazing and excellent education. I think quite heavily subsidised by the French government, so its high-quality education on the cheap.

Comment

On another note: WandaVision is pretty class.

Comment

And did anyone every hear about this crowd and what they offer. Looks like an interesting idea.

Comment

The French to Spanish jump seems funny, Spanish being one of the easiest languages to learn for a native English speaker, and Spanish is practically the same as Portuguese, so we have those in the bag but we don't bother as we know English. I wish my gfs language (Hungarian) wasn't basically Klingon, so hard. I can't even pronounce the words.

Comment

Nice Google cloud vison test

Comment

1. Africa is going to be ginormous when the kids reach their peak earning years, and being able to speak French and English covers just about the whole continent.

2. Being fluent in French (which would be lost if don't go to a French school) opens up the possibility of easily learning Spanish to near fluent level. So thats most of Latin America covered.

3. They can treat France is a second country, and being connected to the continent is kinda cool. Its a whole different culture and interesting perspective. They could e.g. go to uni there.

4. The school itself is amazing and excellent education. I think quite heavily subsidised by the French government, so its high-quality education on the cheap.
                                                                          In the future your buddy bot will translate all languages . No need to learn

I'm enjoying French though.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                            The French to Spanish jump seems funny, Spanish being one of the easiest languages to learn for a native English speaker, and Spanish is practically the same as Portuguese, so we have those in the bag but we don't bother as we know English. I wish my gfs language (Hungarian) wasn't basically Klingon, so hard. I can't even pronounce the words.
                                                                            French and Spanish are a lot more similar and related than English and Spanish. The English struggle with the formal pronoun (vous, usted) and the gender assignment to inanimate objects, why is a spoon feminine but a knife masculine,etc.

Comment

What's the theory on Africa being ginormous in a few years?

airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

The Chinese are buying/have bought most of it, and have big plans

Comment

The Chinese are buying/have bought most of it, and have big plans
                                                                                  Population growth I'm guessing is what Hitch is thinking too.

Currently 17% of world's population while it will be approx 40% in 2100

Asia will fall from a 60% to around 43% share around the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

A few decades not a few years! I think thats the widely held view and hence why, as shrap says, all the smart money - i.e. chinese money - is going into building africa. Demographics mainly, rapidly rising education rates, its where all the young people with young ideas will be. I read a smart analysis of it a while ago, but can't remember all the arguments. But it seems pretty unstoppable.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Thats it. Population, but also a way better educated population with less critical distractions, such as famine and war, also.

Edit: ah, I published a research paper on those pre-emerging countries a few years ago. Was trying to remember how I knew a bit about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Stole my thunder m8

Literally just presented a seminar on this (the global population) for my Geography class on Friday. Had a nice reply lined up to show off my new found college knowledge until I read your reply lol

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Stole my thunder m8

Literally just presented a seminar on this (the global population) for my Geography class on Friday. Had a nice reply lined up to show off my new found college knowledge until I read your reply lol
                                                                                          Tell us something else really interesting you have learnt recently so.

Comment

Recommend a Snagger anyone?

Comment

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Tell us something else really interesting you have learnt recently so.
                                                                                                Tangentially related to geography but I learned last night that various nasty regimes around the world have been engaged in intense competition to build the world's tallest flagpole. There is only one company that makes such enormous flagpoles. I was particularly enamoured with this 165m effort in Dushanbe, Tajikistan. The flag weighs 700kg!

This kind of totally useless knowledge is what sets me apart.

Flagpole_Dushanbe_Tajikistan.jpg?.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Stole my thunder m8

I read something a few years ago about population that used Ireland as an example - essentially showing for all countries that their growth spurt happens precisely when they have enough young brightly educated folk. That it was an unstoppable force. I think it was a New Yorker article maybe. The point was - the whole thing is nothing to do with policies, political parties, public services, etc once you get to that tipping point, it was just inevitable. That was my vague reading of where Africa is headed.

Would that be the type of thing that ye would look at in geography? I'd be curious to hear if thats just one particular view I read, or some sort of accepted wisdom.

Comment

I read something a few years ago about population that used Ireland as an example - essentially showing for all countries that their growth spurt happens precisely when they have enough young brightly educated folk. That it was an unstoppable force. I think it was a New Yorker article maybe. The point was - the whole thing is nothing to do with policies, political parties, public services, etc once you get to that tipping point, it was just inevitable. That was my vague reading of where Africa is headed.
                                                                                                    That reading seems to assume these young, bright, educated people stay at home.

I'm old enough to remember the eighties here and the reverse was the case.

Comment

Then you'll remember how the educated young attracted the techs in the late 80s and early 90s then the economy climbed Plus the corp tax of course.

Comment

Zutrophs gaf gave me a headache.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Then you'll remember how the educated young attracted the techs in the late 80s and early 90s then the economy climbed Plus the corp tax of course.
                                                                                                          Which came first, the low tax chicken or the young educated eggs?

Ireland is a bit of a weird example anyway as most of our growth was (and is) predicated on FDI.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                            I think Spanish is far from one of the easiest languages to learn for English speakers. It’s back to front, conjugations are everything, 4 past tenses, subjunctive which doesn’t really exist in English, genders for everything. Subtle..and I mean miniscule differences in pronunciation and spelling (i instead of e for example) completely changes the meaning and context of a word or sentence.

example from today ‘i suppose you she has sent already it but if* no here you have it’ is the literal translation of a sentence.

it’s easy to understand on a superficial level but actually having a real conversation is a pain in the ass. Unless you don’t mind constantly having the wrong structure and letting them pick through it for understanding

* sí is yes
                                                                                                            si is if
                                                                                                            Last edited by Iago; 02-03-21, 21:11.
                                                                                                            Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

It did seem like quite an overly pat explanation. It might even have been the original article coining the Celtic Tiger.

I guess if Africa ends up 40% of the world population there's not really enough space for all the bright young things to leave the continent!

Comment

Anyway, Spring seems to have arrived with a bang when it comes to covid good news. First wave of kids gone back to school, hospital numbers falling fast, vaccines being rolled out more or less to plan....all good.

Comment

Anyway, Spring seems to have arrived with a bang when it comes to covid good news. First wave of kids gone back to school, hospital numbers falling fast, vaccines being rolled out more or less to plan....all good.
                                                                                                                  Just hope nobody starts planning on having a 'meaningful' Paddy's day
                                                                                                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

It did seem like quite an overly pat explanation. It might even have been the original article coining the Celtic Tiger.

I guess if Africa ends up 40% of the world population there's not really enough space for all the bright young things to leave the continent!
                                                                                                                    Africa's biggest problems are governmental and environmental. The former is, at best, continuing on a track of corruption and extremely weak democratic institutions. The latter is worse - desertification and habitat destruction are accelerating, and population growth only exacerbates this.

So I wouldn't share your optimism....

Comment

I was given a Sodastream as a present last year and I get great use out of it just for fizzy water which I use loads of. After a while using it you stop noticing how much you are not spending on plastic bottles and instead notice the €20 a go they are charging for a refill of gas that only carbonates 60L. When this lockdown came along it became impossible to get refills so I looked into getting set up to refill them myself. Bought an adaptor from a UK site and a 10 L cylinder of food grade CO2. The gas arrived today and was very much bigger than I expected at nearly a meter tall but was really easy to set up. I'm expecting the cost of a refill to drop from €20 to less than €2 a go.

Looks a bit mad
                                                                                                                      SPOILER
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Strewelpeter; 02-03-21, 21:47.

Comment

Davy coning on to Prime Time to talk about Elliott got a feeling I'll be watching this one from behind the sofa

Comment

Wtf are RTÉ doing having John mcgurk of Gript on prime time to debate the protests at the weekend ?
                                                                                                                          balance? Fucking idiots- there is no upside to this- just giving a platform to plausibollocks

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X