Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you win the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp, you could buy all of the horsemeat.

Prizepool already nudging into 4 figures and Cheltenham is still two weeks away....
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

40 ish years old

Comment

Racing TV covering GE.
        Will be interesting to see who sticks the boot in.
        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Plenty of Jockeys have sat on dead horses costing me a few Bob over the years .

Be EPic is he went on a run of good form. All will be forgotten
          Short priced fave in the opener at Punchestown
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
            Racing TV covering GE.
            Will be interesting to see who sticks the boot in.

Comment

Sit on a live horse charging en masse at high jumps at the Grand National - "G'wan ye boy ye". Sit on a dead horse - "You inhuman monster!"

It's quite funny from the outside at what constitutes morality. No-one is remotely complaining about the fact that the dodgy ticker horse was killed by their actions, but take a humorous photo of it and it's plain wrong and disgraceful.

I'm not having a go at people in the industry, I just think it's weird.

In the other place I saw a thread on the front page from the Farming forum on what to do about an aggressive bull. I thought that sounded interesting and read it. Half of the posts from the farmers seemed to jokes about "Straight to Burger King with it" and whatnot. I was surprised by that, but then reckoned dark humour must just be a part of it.

This obviously doesn't apply to horse racing given the reaction to the photo. Not having any connection with it I'm not sure why.

Comment

If it hits the Irish mainstream news this evening id say he could have a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                  No-one is remotely complaining about the fact that the dodgy ticker horse was killed by their actions, but take a humorous photo of it and it's plain wrong and disgraceful.
                  Dodgy ticker horse died because of its dodgy ticker.

In the other place I saw a thread on the front page from the Farming forum on what to do about an aggressive bull. I thought that sounded interesting and read it. Half of the posts from the farmers seemed to jokes about "Straight to Burger King with it" and whatnot. I was surprised by that, but then reckoned dark humour must just be a part of it.

This obviously doesn't apply to horse racing given the reaction to the photo. Not having any connection with it I'm not sure why.
                  People are very attached to horses, they are bred to be ridden, either casually or raced and for breeding but not for meat production, that is quite a difference.

The strongest and most passionate voices I'm hearing on this are from inside racing it's all rather grim right now.

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                  If it hits the Irish mainstream news this evening id say he could have a problem.
                  It was on BBC News this morning. Chevely Park are playing the wait for the official report (i.e. after Cheltenham) before making a decision game.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Was on Joe Duffy. Can't wait for the listen back to become available.
                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Live now on Live Line. Talk to Joe. 715 815.
                      Pure gold.

Comment

It's really the optics and the possible message it gives to kids if you don't show respect to an animal you are already using for money/pleasure you really are just showing it's just a piece of meat to you. The optics of racing are different , the horses are treated mostly very well. There is a bigger question as to the respect of all animals I guess . Over to Tar for that one. Our dark side as humans is really how we treat animals . When it comes to food , I'm guilty.

Comment

Hope Gordon is backing all these Punchestown winners to cover the fine

Comment

Hope Gordon is backing all these Punchestown winners to cover the fine
                            Win the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp and you could pay off all his fines, with a bit left for a box of cigars. Already over 4 figures in the pot and looking like a big one this year....

Comment

Sit on a live horse charging en masse at high jumps at the Grand National - "G'wan ye boy ye". Sit on a dead horse - "You inhuman monster!"

It's quite funny from the outside at what constitutes morality. No-one is remotely complaining about the fact that the dodgy ticker horse was killed by their actions, but take a humorous photo of it and it's plain wrong and disgraceful.

I'm not having a go at people in the industry, I just think it's weird.

I'm curious as to why you are surprised. Do you think people who make money from animals would have an inherent respect or fondness for them? You can't be shipping off creatures to be slaughtered on a regular basis and have some attachment to them. Just like you can't send horses out to be beaten round a field with a significant chance that the animal will not come back alive whilst maintaining the pretence that you have the animal's best interest at heart. They are merely commodities to be profited from.

Incidents like those you've described lift the veil to those of us on the outside of these industries and the cold, harsh, reality can be shocking. It's up to those of us who believe that such practices are anachronistic to make our voices heard and hopefully affect change through political means.
                              Last edited by Silly Gilly; 01-03-21, 16:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Silly Gilly View Post

I'm curious as to why you are surprised. Do you think people who make money from animals would have an inherent respect or fondness for them? You can't be shipping off creatures to be slaughtered on a regular basis and have some attachment to them. Just like you can't send horses out to be beaten round a field with a significant chance that the animal will not come back alive whilst maintaining the pretence that you have the animal's best interest at heart. They are merely commodities to be profited from.

Incidents like those you've described lift the veil to those of us on the outside of these industries and the cold, harsh, reality can be shocking. It's up to those of us who believe that such practices are anachronistic to make our voices heard and hopefully effect change through political means.
                                No horse racing = no racehorses. Just a thought...

Comment

Did somebody say Beetlejuice three times or wha?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                    I'm watching carefully

Comment

Young wans swing coming together.

Comment

Virgin didnt bother getting the CL games for next season so it's back to things being like the old days with whatever English team is playing being on RTE. Was good while it lasted tbf.

Comment

I guess that counts as blowback

Comment

cat_amongst_the_pigeons.jpg

Comment

That puts serious pressure on Kavanagh.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                Virgin didnt bother getting the CL games for next season so it's back to things being like the old days with whatever English team is playing being on RTE. Was good while it lasted tbf.
                                                Did they show less this year?
                                                I remember us commenting at the time on how great it was to have every game on live, but on Thursdays this year they only seemed to show the UK teams.
                                                Even though there was some decent looking non-uk games, especially in the knockouts.

Comment

That puts serious pressure on Kavanagh.
                                                  Be interested to hear what the racing enthusiasts
                                                  here think of the job he's doing overall.

It's a genuine question but in fairness
                                                  I should also say that's he's a cousin of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Did they show less this year?
                                                    I remember us commenting at the time on how great it was to have every game on live, but on Thursdays this year they only seemed to show the UK teams.
                                                    Even though there was some decent looking non-uk games, especially in the knockouts.
                                                    Yeah, they only showed British teams games in EL. A bone of contention when they were clearly advertising, every game live multiple times on Tuesdays and Wednesdays in relation to Thursday games.

They had every CL game tbf which was great but as you say, we missed some tasty games not involving the British teams.

Wonder would they make a bid for any GAA after missing out on the CL now.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post

Be interested to hear what the racing enthusiasts
                                                      here think of the job he's doing overall.

It's a genuine question but in fairness
                                                      I should also say that's he's a cousin of mine.
                                                      His currency had risen a bit through solid handling of covid but took a knock over a couple of recent missteps over security and integrity.

Not sure if this kerfuffle will be his defining moment but if he gets it wrong it could be.

No matter what happens he should go at the end of his term.

Comment

More fuel for the fire as ex staff member makes some nasty accusations on fb.
                                                        It'll be interesting to see which story hurts him the most.
                                                        ​​

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                          More fuel for the fire as ex staff member makes some nasty accusations on fb.
                                                          It'll be interesting to see which story hurts him the most.
                                                          ​​
                                                          Any word on how the photo got out? Someone was sitting on that for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                            Young wans swing coming together.

Her release is great! Super solid swing.
                                                            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Have never been a fan of GE but the pile-on on Twitter is sickening. Deleted the app, it's a horrible fucking timesink.

Comment

Originally posted by mcnugget View Post
                                                                Have never been a fan of GE but the pile-on on Twitter is sickening. Deleted the app, it's a horrible fucking timesink.
                                                                'No Twitter, No Trump'.

It is indeed a cesspool.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Any word on how the photo got out? Someone was sitting on that for a long time.
                                                                  Nothing certain.
                                                                  The labaik connection is a fun rumour, that and a woman scorned are the two theories.
                                                                  But likely both shite
                                                                  ​​​

Comment

Ha! Good one.

Meanwhile your beloved shitty industry is self-imploding. Video this time...

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1688069&d=1614643845&type=thumb
                                                                      Attached Files
                                                                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

Kavanagh has no jurisdiction here. HRI are an administrative body. IHRB are the licensing body.
                                                                        True, I was thinking in terms of tone and influence rather than the actual ihrb decision.

Edit: I guess its unprecedented so whether its being expedited because of BHA ruling or because they realised they needed to be seen to act swiftly is moot.

Comment

Did he do that on porpoise aswel?
                                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

True, I was thinking in terms of tone and influence rather than the actual ihrb decision.

What do we know about the ihrb process for this,, unlikely they would ever be expected to report within a fortnight on something like this?
                                                                            What do we think should happen?

He should get a lengthy ban imo. The optics of this (especially in a minority sport that gets vast amounts of taxpayer largesse, directly and indirectly) are shocking.

Anyone in the industry actually sticking their heads up above the parapet and saying anything?

Comment

The performative uproar from the horse racing insiders is hilarious, their annoyance at GE is not about the lack of respect for the animal it’s about the curtain being pulled back.
                                                                              watching the bookies scrambling to dump association with GE had me in stitches

Comment

What do we think should happen?

He should get a lengthy ban imo. The optics of this (especially in a minority sport that gets vast amounts of taxpayer largesse, directly and indirectly) are shocking.

Anyone in the industry actually sticking their heads up above the parapet and saying anything?
                                                                                Not sure thats the best approach. Maybe that could be part of it. But it was a few years ago. Surely a better solution would be launch a public inquiry into animal cruelty in horse racing. As in, that would have the most impact on the horsies.
                                                                                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I think GR should suspend himself from horse racing until it dies down Keep the yard going. In house training ethics etc etc . Let it be seen something is being done to tackle the mindset .

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Not sure thats the best approach. Maybe that could be part of it. But it was a few years ago. Surely a better solution would be launch a public inquiry into animal cruelty in horse racing. As in, that would have the most impact on the horsies.
                                                                                    That changes the subject from 'an isolated moment of madness' to 'let's do another version of the Moriarty Tribunal do see if we have a systemic problem'.

Probably one of your more terrible ideas although I do note with interest your new-found interest in clemency on the grounds that 'it was a few years ago'.

Comment

It will certainly shake up the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp, that's for sure. What will Dead Parrott do when he can't blindly back every GE horse under the sun?!

€1,100 in the pot already.

Comment

Not clemency! I'm just saying banning one guy is not going to change anything if its symptomatic of a wider problem.

Comment

They have their faults too but gotta love apples privacy stance
                                                                                          Fuck Facebook- this will hurt them bad hopefully

The company won't stop Facebook from tracking you, but it will have to ask you for permission first.

Why, then, is Facebook so worried? Because it knows what everyone else already knows--that when given a choice, most people will choose to not allow Facebook to track them.

If that happens to be bad for Facebook's business, that isn't Apple's fault. It just means that Facebook's business model is based on something most people would prefer it didn't do.

Comment

Dictionary perfect example of cognitive dissonance:
                                                                                            getting knickers twisted over a black humour photo of a dead horse in an industry where standard practice is sending same animals to the knackers yard for not responding well enough to beatings from malnourished midgets

Comment

The end of that car chase in Dublin yesterday looked like something out of the Blues Brothers

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Does Sheik Mo have any hurdlers these days? Be great if he won a race that GE would ordinarily have been mob-handed in with market leaders.
                                                                                                Preferably a horse which previously ran in the Haya colours. The BHA seem less keen to impose a suspension before the conclusion of any investigation in that case.

Comment

In fairness the good sheik has only kidnapped his daughters, there's no evidence yet that he has posed for photos of him sitting on their dead bodies.

Comment

In fairness the good sheik has only kidnapped his daughters, there's no evidence yet that he has posed for photos of him sitting on their dead bodies.
                                                                                                    Given how he treats humans would like to be a horse whose been slacking off in his stable

Comment

Ian St John. Enjoyed him and Greavsies punditry. RIP

Comment

Not clemency! I'm just saying banning one guy is not going to change anything if its symptomatic of a wider problem.
                                                                                                        But you've just leapt to that conclusion (that it is symptomatic of a wider problem) when there's no evidence of same.

It would be like calling for a wide-ranging investigation into the behaviour of all Irish college professors on the back of that video of the two fools in GMIT.

Comment

But you've just leapt to that conclusion (that it is symptomatic of a wider problem) when there's no evidence of same.

It would be like calling for a wide-ranging investigation into the behaviour of all Irish college professors on the back of that video of the two fools in GMIT.
                                                                                                          giphy.gif

Comment

Is horse meat halal?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                              Is horse meat halal?
                                                                                                              no but it's not a sin to eat it (like pork)

Comment

DeadParrot ahead of the curve again

Comment

What’s normal procedure when a horse drops dead in a yard. Does everyone in the yard gather for a memorial, say a few words about the deceased, maybe a wake followed by a civilised sendoff with a tasteful coffin? Everyone walking around sadly with tears in their eyesfor next few days?

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

Monday AM, IHRB were leaning towards a fine, but were aware of increasing pressure for a ban based on sentiment across industry. They had a conversation to this effect with BHB who said ban, ban now, or we take this into our own hands. BHB said that the prospect of Elliott at Cheltenham with a winner would bury the industry. IHRB dithered for a few hours so BHB went nuclear.
                                                                                                                    Presume (just to be logistical for a second) GE can just transfer the training licence to his assistant or w/e and from a racing point of view, all is per normal?

He hides out from public view but the horses get to run.

It might actually take a lot of the heat out the situation if he did this himself. "Due to the blah blah, I am announcing my immediate relinquishing of my training licence from today until end 2021 and am handing it to my assistant trainer Mr Y. I do not wish my owners or staff to suffer to my one moment of stupidity.' etc etc

Seems like he's been badly advised since this thing broke so so wouldn't expect any of this to actually happen but it does seem like an ideal pathway.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

no but it's not a sin to eat it (like pork)
                                                                                                                      I'd say you've horsed into a few filly steaks in your time. (coat already on and halfway out the door)

Comment

Presume (just to be logistical for a second) GE can just transfer the training licence to his assistant or w/e and from a racing point of view, all is per normal?

He hides out from public view but the horses get to run.
                                                                                                                        I'm not sure this 'nod and a wink' method would fly, because this story has so dramatically moved beyond the confines of the racing industry.
                                                                                                                        Time is very short for Cheltenham as well. Presumably (GAB???) there's some sort of fit and proper person test for a new trainer which would normally be a formality completed in a few hours.
                                                                                                                        But this time they'd actually have to do it thoroughly and be convinced that there's no story going to immediately come out about your Mr Y assistant trainer. Because the press will be ready to pounce.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X