• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post

Are the initials for horses or people??
    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Jesus DP you nearly gave me a heart attack. Had a pretty vivid dream last night that Envoi Allen was involved in a Shergar like kidnapping. Defo need to lay some off..

What ever happened to the Situation or as I like to call him "The Head of the Gordon Elliott fan club"

Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Up early for BalfeJohns tip. Will then start accepting payments not to back it.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
          I see lads on the boards crypto forum openly acknodging the need more idiots to buy into Bitcoin so they can sell to them- almost a bit of self awareness there- but not quite
          I think you've just accidentally yourself into understanding how a stock market works.
          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I think you've just accidentally yourself into understanding how a stock market works.
            Not even a stock market. Virtually all economic activity boils down to people selling X to others who want X.

The crypto resentment is pretty funny though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
              Up early for BalfeJohns tip. Will then start accepting payments not to back it.
              Will I pm you 1st with the name for u to get the better price

please advise

Comment

There's not a lot of things more satisfying than successfully syringing your own ears.

Can hear the birds again.

Comment

the only thing strange for people involved in racing about the fight story is that people outside of racing are surprised by the conduct of one of the parties.

Also, the story has grown a small few legs, but it is essentially as put.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                    https://www.thejournal.ie/ulster-ban...57965-Feb2021/

Great to see banks hurting, but its a bit leopards ate my face.

I don't get how they can't be profitable in Ireland... 20-30% down payments on houses, strict risk averse criteria for granting them AND they make you get Mortgage Insurance (which the majority of people get blindly to "check the box for the bank").

It's a little maddening to see them rip people off, but a little great to see suffer, but a little depressing knowing less banks is a bad thing.

Christ.
                    Seems to be about the reserves that they need to keep. It's a drag on the group profits.

I had an interview with them a few months ago. The first and only thing I heard from them was a calendar invite to an interview with a dept head for the next day. 1,5 hr interview.

"any questions"
                    "eh, are the rumours of your demise greatly exaggerated?"

never heard from them again.

Currently, I'm working in my first ever normal job. It's been eye-opening.

This is a very basic question for someone my age, but, what do you do with an overbearing micromanager.

SPOILER
                    My manager is overseas. Great autonomy, everything good. I've been banging out good work.

Recently I've been working day-to-day with the head honcho in Ireland. Initially interesting, getting involved, learning a lot. I thought the intenseness was about getting up to speed. But now realising the guy is just relentless. End up being called multiple times a day, spending hours on team calls, getting micromanaged (he was telling me to empty my recycle bin during a screen share the other day). He's been calling after work too. Spent an hour on the phone the first time, ignored the calls the other two evenings. He effectively treats people like they're on call for him (have seen him pull directors in other countries into calls), and his whims are top priorities.

It's got to the stage where when he inevitable rings me on monday I'm going to ask him to ease off. That he's not giving me any time to actually do work. I'm gonna ruthlessly drop out of meetings. He spends a decent amount of time dictating code and other writings while someone is sharing their screen. It's fucking insane.

I've drafted a polite message about how it's been great being hands-on, but it's not a practical way to continue. Other work isn't getting done. Need to set priorities for what he wants. And stick to a meeting in the morning, and one at close. Basically trying to get the point across that I'm not taking his calls anymore. Feels like political suicide. Best hope is that he respects the line and listens once someone starts facing him down. Not really sure how much he can screw me if it pisses him off. Maybe he'll just freeze me out. But, it's a pretty intolerable way to work so

Being relatively new, and working from home it's difficult to know the lay of the land. I suspect that he's only an interim head. Gonna run it by my manager first anyway
                    Last edited by Denny Crane; 21-02-21, 12:16.

Comment

Global Equity 2.15 Navan

Comment

I was going to say micromanager are par for the course.
                        But the empty your recycle big comment got me, not gonna lie.

Comment

Yeah. I think a large amount of people aren't doing a bit of lockdown - kids in the creche, 'essential' work out of the home. Seems mad really given we're just a few months away from vaccination
                          Someone I know said that they are being really good about lockdown - just go outside the 5k when they really need to and only meeting people in their houses so the kids can play.

We are ages away from proper vaccination so I would be all in favour of army, airforce, coast guard and whoever else we have on the street enforcing the lockdown properly since clearly the gaurds don’t have enough man power to do it.

The bollix about legislation for enforcing isolation needs to be fixed - it seems fairly unlikely that it would take a full year to change the legislation required.

it’s a real choice of making everyone do a proper lockdown for a month or we sit in this limbo until Christmas.

Comment

Any idea of what this racing fight story is?, haven't heard a word about it?.

Comment

that's not how the stock market works

Comment

I got word that only hopes of inflicting lasting psychological damage on others via the medium of the annual Cheltenham tipping comp could possibly save us all. So here it is.

Spam advertising to follow.
                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Racist!

Comment

We could have done with your wise counsel during our GME buying errors Raoul. Maybe Denny gave some, but all I recall is his buying of Bant shares at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post
                                      Global Equity 2.15 Navan
                                      Dice must have backed it

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Dice must have backed it
                                        You must be new here.
                                        Dice is a luckbox. If he had backed that horse, all other runners in the race would have stopped to chat about the scrap in the yard at the final fence leaving out boy to moonwalk over the line.
                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Dice must have backed it
                                          As it happens i missed if again, however... Screenshot_20210221-142432_Paddy Power.jpg

Comment

As i've figured out how to post pics, anyone recognise this BBV stalwarth fashionista... Screenshot_20210221-172419_Messenger.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                              I got word that only hopes of inflicting lasting psychological damage on others via the medium of the annual Cheltenham tipping comp could possibly save us all. So here it is.

Spam advertising to follow.
                                              Great to see you back

Comment

As i've figured out how to post pics, anyone recognise this BBV stalwarth fashionista... Screenshot_20210221-172419_Messenger.jpg
                                                Has the look of a Sickpuppy about him!

Comment

SickPuppy was never that innocent looking surely
                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Had to blow it up to be sure but it’s not me. Same blond mop of hair mind you
                                                    Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Has the look of a Sickpuppy about him!
                                                      Him?? Is that not satnav....
                                                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Him?? Is that not satnav....
                                                        I expect so. Though when I read ‘ipb fashionista’ I default to rd or v4v in my mind.

i said fashionista not fascist before anyone takes the hump
                                                        Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

One of Elliott's winners today is called Frontal Assault

Comment

I'm guessing Collie.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                              SickPuppy was never that innocent looking surely
                                                              Has a puss on him like hes just done the case loots on the wheel and Cheltenham on the next day

Comment

How China is shaping the entertainment industry.

Comment

My first thought was Sickpuppy too

Comment

One of Elliott's winners today is called Frontal Assault
                                                                    wow

Hugh Morgan produced one of the most sensational riding performances of the season to steer the Denis Hogan-trained Young Dev to victory in the Racing Again Mar

Comment

Satnav ?

Comment

Coukd it be..

Comment

South Park Band in China episode covers it better

PMA

Comment

Sickpuppy & SatNav seperated at birth obvs

It is Sickpuppy though in his dainty red shoes

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                              How China is shaping the entertainment industry.

I'd be really curious to watch a tv based in China. I've asked a couple of people based there, but nothing yet. Chinese wire would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

I'd be really curious to watch a tv based in China. I've asked a couple of people based there, but nothing yet. Chinese wire would be great.
                                                                                I started reading English language Mongolian news sites last week. I've always had a thing for Mongolia.

Comment

Hate to be in Texas now. 15k just for heating is fucking ridiculous....
                                                                                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                                    Shipped 2k on the euromillions, very good thing the bookies aren't open at the moment
                                                                                    ... I could do with someone like you in the IPB lotto syndicate... 16th spot is yours if you like...

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

I started reading English language Mongolian news sites last week. I've always had a thing for Mongolia.
                                                                                      We should organise an IPB Trans-Siberian trip via Mongolia

Comment

Has anyone here any experience in micro dosing? Or even the full leap into physcedelics? More as I guess as a way of accessing, higher creative plains or general enquiry of self rather than the trying to have a buzz gig.

Comment

I think a few people mentioned at the time I bought this grinder that they have this one and were happy enough with it at the price. I was never really happy with the finest grind setting for Espresso making. I found this video today and tackled opening it up to change the finest setting. It worked like a charm and it grinds it fine enough for Espresso so giving it a shout out here.

Last edited by Opr; 21-02-21, 23:25.

Comment

It is possible for economists to construct worthy Tweets every now and again.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                              It is possible for economists to construct worthy Tweets every now and again.

ah come on.

he clearly, like everything, hasn't thought it through. Ireland is eligible for all vaccines that Denmark is eligible for. Ergo, if they are vaccinated by June then we will also.

The issue is that Denmark is assignment 100% probability to a new vaccine from Germany, which is a big part of EU orders, being approved and arriving on time. Its due to arrive around May.

If its not approved then Denmark doesn't get 100% vaccination. Thats why Ireland is currently forecasting around 80% vaccination by then - because, at the moment, they don't think its certain enough.

So the only difference between Denmark and Ireland is that Denmark are being excessively overconfident on vaccine quality and vaccine production capacity, despite two of the three vaccines so far (Astra and Pfizer) both having some production problems - Astra catastrophically so.

So, why exactly is it a worthy tweet?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Currently, I'm working in my first ever normal job. It's been eye-opening.

This is a very basic question for someone my age, but, what do you do with an overbearing micromanager.
                                                                                                My experience here is limited but basically a bunch of enablers (yes men) have built a cult of personality around the boss/CEO and how they love being "hands-on". Out of hours contact is the norm - not my current role thankfully. Being the square peg could go either way but be prepared that there's a chance you become a pariah if you don't conform to the expected narrative, irrespective of results. Think of reviews down the line - X is obtuse, difficult to deal with, not a team player, doesn't dig in etc.

Good luck either way but based on that snippet I'd guess you'll move on to something more suitable in under a year.

Comment

The specific vaccine that Denmark are assuming arrives without any hassle to reach their 100% target is CureVax, which only started Phase 3 trials today. Maybe they have production sorted, hopefully they do, but they're a smallish company and presumably most production capacity has already been taken? I don't know. Hopefully everything arrives as planned. But thats the only difference between Denmark and Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

My experience here is limited but basically a bunch of enablers (yes men) have built a cult of personality around the boss/CEO and how they love being "hands-on". Out of hours contact is the norm - not my current role thankfully. Being the square peg could go either way but be prepared that there's a chance you become a pariah if you don't conform to the expected narrative, irrespective of results. Think of reviews down the line - X is obtuse, difficult to deal with, not a team player, doesn't dig in etc.

Good luck either way but based on that snippet I'd guess you'll move on to something more suitable in under a year.
                                                                                                    I followed Coillcams advice here by deciding to move on, my decision was somewhat validated as approx 30% of the team left around the same time.
                                                                                                    Retrospectively though, I can certainly see how I wasn’t perfect in all of this.

As an example, i know for certain that in terms of tangible bottom dollar impact, I probably did more than the entire rest of the team combined.
                                                                                                    Now, that was quite lucky on my part but it was undisputed.

My problem arose because my boss’s values weren’t aligned to that even though in my mind it was non-sensical that they weren’t. They persisted in pushing stuff I didn’t see value in so the micromanaging continued.

If I was to advise anyone dealing with a similar situation, you should determine what your boss values.
                                                                                                    If they see you’re aligned with their goals, life will become far easier for you whether you stay there or move on.
                                                                                                    Thats not always the easiest thing for someone to do but if the goal is to get rid of the micromanagement, then that’s what I’d first determine and go from there.

Comment

Applying for a new driving licence was surprisingly hassle free. I found myself unemployed for a fortnight 3 years ago and had to get a Public Services Card from the welfare office. I was able to use that card to apply for a licence online last Monday and it just arrived in the post. Missus had to go to a NDLS office a few weeks ago and was waiting about 3 weeks for hers.

After the ease of that surely it makes sense to roll out the PSC as standard similar to a PPS number or whatever. Would make moving everything online so much easier for all involved.

Comment

So, why exactly is it a worthy tweet?
                                                                                                        It's an appalling tweet.

Same population, same supplies as Ireland but v different results. Why?
                                                                                                        Since when does different hopes and projections based on these optimistic hopes mean different results?

Comment

Irish Mirror story on a man from Monaghan who almost won the lottery. We should get him over here to do a well.

Comment

There is an air of pent up anger and resentment looking for a target to lash out at and any missteps made by Government are going to be absolutely hammered.

Media interviews with ministers are contrived to frame questions in the way the interviewer knows the minister cannot and will not answer, the minister explains why they cannot and will not answer it directly, the interviewer then repeats the question half a dozen times in increasingly patronising tones before cramming in any meaningful content and then wrapping up the interview with 'I know you are not going to answer this, but for the sake of our listeners who want answers I must ask you one more time, will everybody be vaccinated by the 27th of June or are we going to have to listen to the Brits lording it over us right up until Christmas?'

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                              Applying for a new driving licence was surprisingly hassle free. I found myself unemployed for a fortnight 3 years ago and had to get a Public Services Card from the welfare office. I was able to use that card to apply for a licence online last Monday and it just arrived in the post. Missus had to go to a NDLS office a few weeks ago and was waiting about 3 weeks for hers.

After the ease of that surely it makes sense to roll out the PSC as standard similar to a PPS number or whatever. Would make moving everything online so much easier for all involved.
                                                                                                              How did you get a PSC so handy? I've been trying to get one since September! Phone rings off the hook every time. E-mails aren't answered etc.

Comment

There is an air of pent up anger and resentment looking for a target to lash out at and any missteps made by Government are going to be absolutely hammered.

Media interviews with ministers are contrived to frame questions in the way the interviewer knows the minister cannot and will not answer, the minister explains why they cannot and will not answer it directly, the interviewer then repeats the question half a dozen times in increasingly patronising tones before cramming in any meaningful content and then wrapping up the interview with 'I know you are not going to answer this, but for the sake of our listeners who want answers I must ask you one more time, will everybody be vaccinated by the 27th of June or are we going to have to listen to the Brits lording it over us right up until Christmas?'

Interviewers looking for Gotchas instead of realism.

Comment

It's a difficult time. To some extent I don't even blame the media. We're all just ridiculously frustrated with fucking covid and if politicians are who need to be blamed for covid, even if they aren't really responsible, then maybe thats just the way it needs to be.

We need a few more good weather days and even a few minor lies to lift the national mood. Just set out a road map, pretend it is stuck in stone, so that people know exactly when things will open even if its in May. Overpromise on vaccines like the Danish. If nearly everyone is vaccinated in June then nobodys going to care if the gov claimed that it would be 100% but its only 80%. Can just blame it on vaccine deniers. But the advantage is that it offers some element of certainty.

They need to also do something on holidays, as people really really need a holiday. Say that August is guaranteed fine, but June definitely not and July is 50:50 or whatever the numbers are. Its probably right.

There is though some need to pep up the national mood.

Comment

It's a difficult time. To some extent I don't even blame the media. We're all just ridiculously frustrated with fucking covid and if politicians are who need to be blamed for covid, even if they aren't really responsible, then maybe thats just the way it needs to be.

We need a few more good weather days and even a few minor lies to lift the national mood. Just set out a road map, pretend it is stuck in stone, so that people know exactly when things will open even if its in May. Overpromise on vaccines like the Danish. If nearly everyone is vaccinated in June then nobodys going to care if the gov claimed that it would be 100% but its only 80%. Can just blame it on vaccine deniers. But the advantage is that it offers some element of certainty.

They need to also do something on holidays, as people really really need a holiday. Say that August is guaranteed fine, but June definitely not and July is 50:50 or whatever the numbers are. Its probably right.

Totally. Brother phoned last night to say he is feeling down and anxious of late. All work and no play. Can't sleep. He said he went to the doc and now is on a dose of sleeping tablets and anti-depressants. Heavily involved with the local soccer club but nothing doing there for a while now. Big part of his life on hold. Fair play to him for taking action. His wife is a good one.

Lockdown life can be such a grind for some.
                                                                                                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

How did you get a PSC so handy? I've been trying to get one since September! Phone rings off the hook every time. E-mails aren't answered etc.
                                                                                                                      Its lovely, you go to the NDLS website and they hit you with "Now we can process any licence online to help with covid issues" read further " youll need a PSC and that dept isnt open/taking appointments during level 5"

In my opinion we dont need a PSC, we need one card, where one can load up your driving licence, your leap card, id go so far as say medical details etc, where only relevant bodies can access relevant info on the card. Administering another card to everyone in this technology age seems daft.
                                                                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Totally. Brother phoned last night to say he is feeling down and anxious of late. All work and no play. Can't sleep. He said he went to the doc and now is on a dose of sleeping tablets and anti-depressants. Heavily involved with the local soccer club but nothing doing there for a while now. Big part of his life on hold. Fair play to him for taking action. His wife is a good one.

Lockdown life can be such a grind for some.

Pretty much everyone I talk to of late is really feeling it at this stage, myself included. The last 5-6 months work wise have been horrendous, absolutely horrendous, just from a sheer volume point of view and then when you eventually do get out of work after very long days, you are left staring at the same four walls or doing the same loop walk within your 5km.

I've definitely struggled with motivation to do anything outside of work over the last while (I need some sort of a creative project to get stuck into) and I've even struggled a bit to motivate myself in work, which is really not a good thing when you constantly have a list of about 100 things that need to be done urgently.

The key is to make sure you are talking to people. Fair play to your brother for being open with you. I think men in general struggle more with this than woman and from my own group of mates, I think we are way better in face to face conversations. When we (used to) head to the pub, there would be very open conversations and all things would be out in the open but I think we struggle more in phone calls and text, in comparison to Mrs Lao Lao and her mates who seem to be equally as good on phone/text as they are in real life. Early days in Covid, one of my mates made a concerted effort to regularly phone us all which definitely helped us all do similar but we've dropped off a bit in the last month or two, need to pick that back up.

Comment

Martin and Donnelly are just not as likeable or credible in the media as varadkar and Harris were.

They wouldn’t be doing anything different on the ground but the showmanship did make it feel like they were on top of it while at the moment it’s everyone thinking how are these clowns fucking this up.

They also seem to be going for worst case so that they can be heroes if they pull something slightly better out of it rather than what your proposing.

Going to break the bbq out this week, few cans in the garden while watch meat cook while my wife prepares all the sides while minding the kids inside and I claim credit for cooking. Will be a nice mood boost for me.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X