This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
    Just had a scenario in work that in an analogy sense, went something like this...

'Hiya, can I buy a car off you. How much is that?'

'Twenty grand'

'thanks, but I actually want three cars'

'ok, sixty grand'

"What the fuck!! You said twenty grand, fuck off''.

Reminds me of years ago when I worked for a shipping line. We did special, non standard types of equipment. At the time, there was probably only one other competitor in our local market offering the same.

A customer asked to me quote for a job using the special equipment and I gave him a rate of $9K. A day or two later, he came back to say that our competitor had quoted him $5K. We couldn't do anything with our price as the equipment was in short supply so attracted a premium so I had to let the job go. Three days later, they got back onto me, our competitor hadn't any of the required equipment in Ireland so he was going to have to book with me (I had no knowledge of this when I quoted)

He then goes on to say, how I have to do the job for $5K as that is what my competitor quoted. We literally went back and forth on the phone for about 30 minutes with him telling me that I was ripping him off by insisting on charging what I originally quoted and how I should be charging what my competitor quoted him, even though they couldn't do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Speaking of utilities, my sister got her first job after college recently and moved into a flat which is set up for prepay electricity. The landlord doesn't allow any of the meters be changed to take advantage of monthly bills. Probably he's been stung in past.

The costs are ridiculous compared to a standard direct debit. Over the course of a year she'd be paying easily more than 50% vs the cheapest deal on the market. The sad thing is that they completely fleece vulnerable people who prepaid tariffs are designed to "help" - those on jobseekers or part time workers etc who don't have decent cash flow. I'm not being conservative in saying that the difference could be more than €4-500 in a year. This is a significant amount of money to those people at the end of the year.

My sister is only staying for a couple of months while she finds a more suitable rental and can afford the more expensive charges but it's a joke that utility companies can charge so much.
      I've lived in places with those meters before and they are shocking. I don't know how they are allowed to be honest. One I was renting in Ranelagh was a communal meter across a few flats so no-one ever wanted to top it up. The amount of times I sat in the dark drinking out of date beer that some local off-license used to flog off for a few cents a bottle, having chosen the beer over the light. Remember the girlfriend coming back from some time away one time and her freaking out to come in the flat in the evening in pitch dark and me sitting in the bed surrounded by bottles of beer so old that the caps had rusted onto the glass. Does anyone remember that off-licence that sold that dodgy beer - maybe its still there - next to Slatterys in Rathmines.

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

My famed chillness is taking a bit of a battering.
        I've spoken to my boss about taking some time as I'm starting to feel a little wooly.
        I can deal with a lot but this, home caring, home schooling, work and general cabin fever is taking its toll.
        Uncertainty is a bitch. I guess legally our landlord can't get rid of us but she's losing money the longer we are here as we have a sweetheard rent which again, bothers me a bit..
        I can only imagine that is on the edge (ever so slightly!) of stressful.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

What the craic with this new government led pension auto-enrolment? Due to start in 2022?
          https://www.iapf.ie/News/News/?id=151
          It has been delayed, something like this is long overdue. It will rise to 6% mandatory with employer matching over the years which is a good start. It's not like things used to be, there is a hell of a lot people will want to spend on when they are retired and most people in their 20s/30s are like wtf is a pension?

Comment

Wouldn’t be worrying too much if you don’t have a pension in this country- the prudent will be bent over and mercilessly reamed so that the feckless don’t suffer
            id expect to see terms like “pension privilege” appearing on Twitter in the future

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I've lived in places with those meters before and they are shocking. I don't know how they are allowed to be honest. One I was renting in Ranelagh was a communal meter across a few flats so no-one ever wanted to top it up. The amount of times I sat in the dark drinking out of date beer that some local off-license used to flog off for a few cents a bottle, having chosen the beer over the light. Remember the girlfriend coming back from some time away one time and her freaking out to come in the flat in the evening in pitch dark and me sitting in the bed surrounded by bottles of beer so old that the caps had rusted onto the glass. Does anyone remember that off-licence that sold that dodgy beer - maybe its still there - next to Slatterys in Rathmines.
              yep.
              The rusty bottle caps really elicted a strong memory.
              The grainy feel of the rust on the top of the bottle
              The skunkiness of the beer
              and the smell of mold in the Rathmines hovels.
              The offy beside rodys did similar out of date deals too
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

yep.
                The rusty bottle caps really elicted a strong memory.
                The grainy feel of the rust on the top of the bottle
                The skunkiness of the beer
                and the smell of mold in the Rathmines hovels.
                The offy beside rodys did similar out of date deals too
                Actually upon googling I think its the offy besides Rodys I meant! ha, brilliant. Hope they're still doing that.

Comment

Coin op TV's used to be a thing

photoserv.py.jpg

I never rented them out myself but I used to set them up and repair them for lads who used them mostly for the very worst payers and in flatland. At a time when a straight rental was between £2.50 and £4 a week those boys would be looking to take £8 a week out but the trick was that they would set it up to take in at least £1.50 a day and give the excess back in cash when they'd call to collect. Wasn't uncommon that (invariably) the woman of the house would get it configured to take in loads of cash and she was using it as a means of getting cash out of the bollocks she was stuck with

When I went looking for that image I found a site that is still operating them in Dublin https://payasyouview.tv/ Fairly sure I know the lad who is running it, I knew he was still in the business but am amazed he is still doing coin op.
                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                    When I went looking for that image I found a site that is still operating them in Dublin https://payasyouview.tv/ Fairly sure I know the lad who is running it, I knew he was still in the business but am amazed he is still doing coin op.
                    That's both quite impressive and soul crushingly grim.

Comment

The first three episodes of Adam Curtis's 'Can't Get You Out of My Head' are up on youtube.

Person...Woman...Man......Camera..TV

Comment

I remember the electricity meter as a child, people so unaware at how much they were getting screwed.

People attempting to go easy on it in the lead up to the weekend maybe slipping into the 2e reserve but not further knowing then that the electricity wouldn’t be cut off until Monday.

Comment

Floating points has made an album with Pharaoh Sanders and The London Symphony Orchestra, looking forward to that!
                          airport, lol

Comment

Really enjoyed watching the short Georgian documentary The Trader there on Netflix. Given the nature of it I then spent the following 10 minutes reading East European potato jokes (that two guys came up with via email years ago I recall reading once) such as these:

Comment

Hitchhiker's Guide To... I just watched Class ActionPark, as it’s on sky documentaries, a fun watch!

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                Hitchhiker's Guide To... I just watched Class ActionPark, as it’s on sky documentaries, a fun watch!
                                Yeah it's amazing!

Comment

I've had a fever and diarrhoea since 7pm yesterday. Just waiting for the GP to open so I can give him a call. Balls.

Comment

No idea of the circumstances as only vaguely keeping up with thread but we need Raul for Cheltenham. Be like Xmas without Santa.

I'm still in hospital with this fucking thing. They let me out Monday the 8th and 14 hours later I was ambulanced back.

Was pretty hard one mentally going back to meds, treatments and physical state that I had passed through two weeks previous.

A tentative, can see big improvements this week.

​​​​​​Seems no rush to let me out again given last weeks effort.

​​​​​​
                                    Last edited by nicnicnic; 17-02-21, 04:13.

Comment

Good luck CC . I guess reading Nickys post right after is a tad scary.

Best of health to ye both. Can't wait until this all is abated .
                                      Apart from my normal general lunacy I'm not suffering mentally but I can see quite a few people starting to crack.

On a separate note . Cheltenham is obviously going ahead .
                                      anyone got some ante post tips ?

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                        Good luck CC . I guess reading Nickys post right after is a tad scary.

Best of health to ye both. Can't wait until this all is abated .
                                        Apart from my normal general lunacy I'm not suffering mentally but I can see quite a few people starting to crack.

On a separate note . Cheltenham is obviously going ahead .
                                        anyone got some ante post tips ?
                                        Elliot:
                                        Duffel Coat NRNB Martin Pipe/Ballymore
                                        Zanahiyr Triumph
                                        Coko Beach, National Hunt
                                        ToryGraph Albert Bartlett

Kilcruit seems hard to back against in the Bumper but Brandy Love is a decent price.

Mullins seems to have, based on the Dublin festival a monster team this year.

Anyway, thats my quick notes
                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Careful now on the social media ye kn***ers ............

https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-40100581.html
                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

That was a goooooood first load this morning.

Comment

best of luck cc (and nicnicnic of course, but you know what is wrong with you). Fever and the runs might be just something like food poisoning.

Comment

https://natashaskitchen.com/beef-sti...jump-to-recipe

thanks to whoever posted this, it was delicious. Needed extra fresh coriander to add the final sparkle, but excellent.

Comment

https://www.ucd.ie/folklore/1916/oral-history.html#

People talking about their memories of the 1916 Rising.

Comment

Just watched in and of itself. This is basically Derek Delgaudio's broadway show but what a show it is! incredibly powerful and moving mixed with some great story telling and magic.

Comment

Tesco doing a special on Cadburys Buttons eggs.
                                                      Bought 5 small ones for €5 thinking they'd last.
                                                      Ate one in the car driving home,
                                                      opened a 2nd to go with the coffee after unpacking.
                                                      Came down this morning and there's a pile of
                                                      crinkly paper and cardboard boxes by the armchair.

Egg shaped chocolate really tastes so much better.
                                                      Desperately looking for an excuse do another shop.
                                                      Last edited by DeeBrown; 17-02-21, 12:12.

Comment

BTC smashing 50k

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                          https://www.ucd.ie/folklore/1916/oral-history.html#

People talking about their memories of the 1916 Rising.
                                                          Listening. Love it

Comment

best of luck cc (and nicnicnic of course, but you know what is wrong with you). Fever and the runs might be just something like food poisoning.
                                                            I'd prefer covid .

Comment

Elliot:
                                                              Duffel Coat NRNB Martin Pipe/Ballymore
                                                              Zanahiyr Triumph
                                                              Coko Beach, National Hunt
                                                              ToryGraph Albert Bartlett

Kilcruit seems hard to back against in the Bumper but Brandy Love is a decent price.

Mullins seems to have, based on the Dublin festival a monster team this year.

Anyway, thats my quick notes
                                                              Goona follow these on the basis that your luck will turn. Yep I'm a fish

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                                                Tesco doing a special on Cadburys Buttons eggs.
                                                                Bought 5 small ones for €5 thinking they'd last.
                                                                Ate one in the car driving home,
                                                                opened a 2nd to go with the coffee after unpacking.
                                                                Came down this morning and there's a pile of
                                                                crinkly paper and cardboard boxes by the armchair.

Egg shaped chocolate really tastes so much better.
                                                                Desperately looking for an excuse do another shop.
                                                                Keep on eye out for Hennessy XO, selling it off for €75, less than half price.
                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

There is something weirdly brilliant about egg shaped chocolate. Not really a fan of chocolate by itself, but shape it into an egg and would take either 100 duck-sized horses, or one horse-sized duck to keep me away.

Comment

There is something weirdly brilliant about egg shaped chocolate. Not really a fan of chocolate by itself, but shape it into an egg and would take either 100 duck-sized horses, or one horse-sized duck to keep me away.
                                                                    I bought my better half one of those terrible value -yet highly thoughtful ​​​​​- book box subscriptions starting last month.
                                                                    You know, the ones where you get a book, chocolate & maybe a candle or something similar.

Anyway, it came last month with https://www.lirchocolates.com

Obviously I couldn’t help checking how much they made on me for putting the stuff in a box and delivering it.

That said, I have to say I thought it was the best value chocolate I’ve tasted.
                                                                    If they’re doing Easter Eggs this year, that’s what everyone will be getting.

Comment

That rung a bell.
                                                                      I introduced the trope of duck sized horses to IPB on 3rd Aug 2012 in a mini well for rigger.
                                                                      Tempus fugits like a motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

I bought my better half one of those terrible value -yet highly thoughtful ​​​​​- book box subscriptions starting last month.
                                                                        You know, the ones where you get a book, chocolate & maybe a candle or something similar.

Anyway, it came last month with https://www.lirchocolates.com

Obviously I couldn’t help checking how much they made on me for putting the stuff in a box and delivering it.

That said, I have to say I thought it was the best value chocolate I’ve tasted.
                                                                        If they’re doing Easter Eggs this year, that’s what everyone will be getting.
                                                                        Lily O'Briens, notoriously crap pretending to be good, has ruined all Irish choc for me. Must give it a go. How does the book thing work as books are so massively personal?

Comment

That rung a bell.
                                                                          I introduced the trope of duck sized horses to IPB on 3rd Aug 2012 in a mini well for rigger.
                                                                          Tempus fugits like a motherfucker
                                                                          yes! thats where I got it from, I think! It was a question used in those wells.

Comment

Lily O'Briens, notoriously crap pretending to be good, has ruined all Irish choc for me. Must give it a go. How does the book thing work as books are so massively personal?
                                                                            You simply pick a genre something like Irish Authors, Click Lit or similar. It's only a 3 month subscription, not a long term thing or anything.
                                                                            I did raid Amazon Warehouse for myself though when it was 20% off, great way to pick up hard copies.

Comment

Shipped 2k on the euromillions, very good thing the bookies aren't open at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

where?

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak View Post

where?
                                                                                  Tesco
                                                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                                    Shipped 2k on the euromillions, very good thing the bookies aren't open at the moment
                                                                                    wtf - you can't just post that. you need to tell us how we can also win such bountiful riches. how did you pick the numbers.

I was actually thinking of playing the lotto because can't use my card to bet with bookies as need the six months clean accounts for mortgage.

Comment

Got to live how butthurt Facebook are by apples new privacy controls
                                                                                      absolute human shitstains whining about how they won’t be able to make money by violating people’s privacy and actively making the world a worse place - love it

Comment

wtf - you can't just post that. you need to tell us how we can also win such bountiful riches. how did you pick the numbers.

I was actually thinking of playing the lotto because can't use my card to bet with bookies as need the six months clean accounts for mortgage.
                                                                                        In the most scientific way possible - one line of quickpick with Plus. The winnings came from getting 4 numbers in the Plus draw

Comment

In the most scientific way possible - one line of quickpick with Plus. The winnings came from getting 4 numbers in the Plus draw
                                                                                          Ah quikpick is fixed, clearly a noob, only way is the kids bday

Comment

I asked for an excuse to do another shop, BiNGO!!!

Only fair to warn ya Ole,
                                                                                            if my "beloved supreme leader" discovers
                                                                                            five of those by the armchair tomorrow morning
                                                                                            I'll be terminated ..... with extreme prejudice.
                                                                                            I'm not above taking you down with me.
                                                                                            ​​
                                                                                            Last edited by DeeBrown; 17-02-21, 17:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Ah quikpick is fixed, clearly a noob, only way is the kids bday
                                                                                              What if you forget to play one day??? You know that's the day your numbers come up. More science bro

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                BTC smashing 50k
                                                                                                I'm going to buy a house with half a bitcoin some day. Let's see how poorly this ages. #Remindme10years
                                                                                                (guy in work did before but he has/had a ton of them and is a millionaire).

Comment

What if you forget to play one day??? You know that's the day your numbers come up. More science bro
                                                                                                  You have me excited now, the Euromillions is it's highest ever price this Friday, I'm definitely doing it now

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                      I'm going to buy a house with half a bitcoin some day. Let's see how poorly this ages. #Remindme10years
                                                                                                      (guy in work did before but he has/had a ton of them and is a millionaire).
                                                                                                      Whats you selling price ? Quiet realistically, yet unlikely, that potential 20k could be 1k in the morning.
                                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Whats you selling price ? Quiet realistically, yet unlikely, that potential 20k could be 1k in the morning.
                                                                                                        Just gonna be holding it for ages, it was only $100 worth so even if went back to that I wouldn't be bothered. Maybe up near 6 figures would be a good time. It's a nice gambool while my other assets are safer. If I bought it at a big price, I'd have taken the initial investment out by now. I'm not surprised it's 52k now - it's at where I thought it would be and it was far riskier when i thought that initially than now, and only seems to be getting greater adoption each year, I think it's a decent bet. It'll probably crash a bit, has done before. Will do again. I'm not one to attempt to time it. No clue what will happen, but I do think it will 0 or go huge over the long run, and I think it has a lot of growth left in it.
                                                                                                        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 17-02-21, 19:06.

Comment

Wombatman, you'll enjoy the goal in the Porto game. Juve dicking around inside the penalty area and concede a clanger

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                            Wombatman, you'll enjoy the goal in the Porto game. Juve dicking around inside the penalty area and concede a clanger
                                                                                                            Oh don't encourage him. Or maybe someone else can post dozens of times a game when keeping possession prevented the opponent from having an attack.

Comment

Is yer man Trippie in Texas?

Bit of a story that the State with its own power grid is now in a blackout, plunging temps means that their gas pipes lost pressure (47% of power source) while Fox etc are blaming the failure of wind turbines, Which supply 20% of the grid.
                                                                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Another step towards single game Sportsbetting in Canada completed.

I personally think it was already priced in but SCR open tomorrow should be interesting.

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Oh don't encourage him. Or maybe someone else can post dozens of times a game when keeping possession prevented the opponent from having an attack.
                                                                                                                  Catenaccio will rise again!!

Comment

Had the covid test done up in citywest yesterday lunchtime. Result back this morning and its negative! Think it must have been the salmon I had on Monday, though it seemed fine. Temperature back to normal this morning too.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                                                      Had the covid test done up in citywest yesterday lunchtime. Result back this morning and its negative! Think it must have been the salmon I had on Monday, though it seemed fine. Temperature back to normal this morning too.
                                                                                                                      nailed it!

Comment

nailed it!
                                                                                                                        You are a Doctor after all.
                                                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

You are a Doctor after all.
                                                                                                                          Never get enough credit for that

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X