Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
      Drogba and Kante?
      Edited it right after posting when I actually looked at the team
      Thought of all former clubs, not current sigh. Edited now
      Go big or go homeless.

Comment

On a different note, came across a movie called The Stanford Prison Experiment which I had never heard of before.. holy fuck, what a fucked up movie/real event!
        Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Just Messi. On his own.

Cut down most of a very large plum tree of the neighbours (with their blessing) this week. Gained a hell of light into the back garden but am so bored that I am currently sawing off coasters and chopping boards off the resulting logs.

Lovely hard wood. Anyone know what I should do to treat it, or even should I?
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
            On a different note, came across a movie called The Stanford Prison Experiment which I had never heard of before.. holy fuck, what a fucked up movie/real event!
            Just remember the results are bullshit.
            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
              The scene with the therapist at the start of S03E06 of Ozark is class
              Wait until you get to end. Genuinely one of the most shocking tv scenes ive ever seen. Up there with Tarantino.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                Just like most psychology experiments
                Last edited by Denny Crane; 18-04-20, 12:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                  Mbappe feels like a reach, I’d say you’d need to be born in 2010 to have him in there.
                  No more of a reach than some picks in here

Comment

That was good craic reading the teams posted. It could definitely annoy the head off you.

Comment

Since Kyabram is a stunning album.

I was at one of the three nights he did in Whelans in 2004 as part of the album launch and then saw him again in The Olympia the following year, both packed out.

In Whelans, he sang Galileo fairly early on and then mid way through the gig announced to the crowd that his granny had been delayed, missed the song which was her favourite and would they mind if he sang it again for her, he literally had the crowd eating out of his hand.

Sadly, anything he's released since then hasn't been up to the same standards.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                        That was good craic reading the teams posted. It could definitely annoy the head off you.
                        Picking Messi or Maradonna and CR7 rules out so many great Spanish players.

Left with the likes of:

Silva
                        Torres
                        Ricardo Arias
                        Marchena
                        Albelda
                        Baraja
                        Fernando Gomez

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                          Since Kyabram is a stunning album.

I was at one of the three nights he did in Whelans in 2004 as part of the album launch and then saw him again in The Olympia the following year, both packed out.

In Whelans, he sang Galileo fairly early on and then mid way through the gig announced to the crowd that his granny had been delayed, missed the song which was her favourite and would they mind if he sang it again for her, he literally had the crowd eating out of his hand.

Sadly, anything he's released since then hasn't been up to the same standards.
                          I was there but think it was 05 . I was at the Othervoices when he and Paddy Casey played was chatting to both in The Benners . They shared a gaff. The dub accent on Casey :-). Anyway Paul Brady was at the Whelams gig . He was a huge fan predicted big things for Declan sang backing vocals on the Album I guess Declan ran out of ideas . He liked to take inspiration from books etc. It was a great time for singer songwriters in Dublin back then . Declan also had a unique way of playing guitar . Interesting with the thumb playing the base strings .

Comment

Picking Messi or Maradonna and CR7 rules out so many great Spanish players.

Left with the likes of:

Silva
                            Torres
                            Ricardo Arias
                            Marchena
                            Albelda
                            Baraja
                            Fernando Gomez
                            Yeah my brother made the point of Spain pretty much dominating his lifetime, he was born in 1990 and I don't think he had any Spanish player in.

This is his team.

Julio Cesar

Robertson, Maldini, Koulabilly

Keane, De Bruyne

Gazza, Zidane, Messi

Bergkamp, Lewandoski.

Think that's pretty solid if it meets all the criteria

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                              You don't even have to like basketball to know this will be an unbelievable series;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Z9JtNcCWY
                              First two episodes going out this Sunday. Looking forward to it alot.

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                I was there but think it was 05 . I was at the Othervoices when he and Paddy Casey played was chatting to both in The Benners . They shared a gaff. The dub accent on Casey :-). Anyway Paul Brady was at the Whelams gig . He was a huge fan predicted big things for Declan sang backing vocals on the Album I guess Declan ran out of ideas . He liked to take inspiration from books etc. It was a great time for singer songwriters in Dublin back then . Declan also had a unique way of playing guitar . Interesting with the thumb playing the base strings .

Could have been 05, thought Whelans was late 04 and The Olympia was earlyish in 05 but it's so long ago now, I struggle to remember last week at times.

That period was great for singer songwriters alright. Joe Chester was another favourite, along with Tom Baxter, and Ian Whitty, plus a host of others. Some great gigs in Whelans, upstairs in Stags Head, etc, such a great time for music.

Comment

Jesus that's ridiculously hard.

Oblak

Lee Dixon, Sammer, Danny Blind Snr, Alaba.

Keane, Souness,

De Bruyne, Zidane, Ronaldinho,

Batistuta

Comment

Could have been 05, thought Whelans was late 04 and The Olympia was earlyish in 05 but it's so long ago now, I struggle to remember last week at times.

That period was great for singer songwriters alright. Joe Chester was another favourite, along with Tom Baxter, and Ian Whitty, plus a host of others. Some great gigs in Whelans, upstairs in Stags Head, etc, such a great time for music.
                                    Do you remember Ger Wolfe . Went to support his Stags Head gig . Only 2 people there . He and band still played. Felt bad for him.

Isnt Joe Chester involved with these now. Great outfit

Comment

Yeah my brother made the point of Spain pretty much dominating his lifetime, he was born in 1990 and I don't think he had any Spanish player in.

This is his team.

Julio Cesar

Robertson, Maldini, Koulabilly

Keane, De Bruyne

Gazza, Zidane, Messi

Bergkamp, Lewandoski.

Think that's pretty solid if it meets all the criteria
                                      De Bruyne and Koulabilly played for Genk.

The brother did this one without Google.

Southall
                                      Lahm, Maldini, VVD, Adams
                                      Zico Mbappe, Valderrama, Xavi
                                      Aguero, CR7

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Raekwon View Post
                                          Jesus that's ridiculously hard.

Oblak

Lee Dixon, Sammer, Danny Blind Snr, Alaba.

Keane, Souness,

De Bruyne, Zidane, Ronaldinho,

Batistuta
                                          Sammer and Batigol played for Inter.

Comment

Sammer and Batigol played for Inter.
                                            Yeah it's crazy difficult. I hadn't realised Batistuta had a loan at Inter. Fuck it anyway.

Comment

De Bruyne and Koulabilly played for Genk.
                                              Lol. He spent 2 hours on that yesterday. I've just given him the good news. Thanks for that cos his pain is hilarious to me lol

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                V will appreciate this.

Seems I fucked up and should have used a log that had been cut 6+months ago.
                                                Also hand-sawed mine so they are certainly rustic. Will let them season a bit and see what happens.

Comment

Joe Chester and Freddie Stevenson supported The Waterboys a few years ago, enjoyed his stuff.
                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Not enough love for Joseph N'Do in other peoples teams

Comment

Just Messi. On his own.

Cut down most of a very large plum tree of the neighbours (with their blessing) this week. Gained a hell of light into the back garden but am so bored that I am currently sawing off coasters and chopping boards off the resulting logs.

If you are using for cutting boards. you'll want to use an oil, like linseed oil or mineral oil. Could probably buy a blend of both for chopping boards.
                                                      For coasters, you could use an finish. Personally I prefer the satin look of oil over varnishes.

Cross cut coasters will prob be fine. But if you cut the boards now, they'll possibly warp as they dry.

Comment

Happy Birthday to me.

Comment

Jesus Apple just destroyed the mid to range android market, you would have to hate money if you were in the market for a non top of the range phone and didn’t go for their new SE
                                                          500E for a phone that will get minimum 5 years of software updates, newest chip and very good camera
                                                          Pulled the rug out from all the companies who have followed them up over the grand mark just because
                                                          Last edited by Guest; 18-04-20, 15:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                            If you are using for cutting boards. you'll want to use an oil, like linseed oil or mineral oil. Could probably buy a blend of both for chopping boards.
                                                            For coasters, you could use an finish. Personally I prefer the satin look of oil over varnishes.

Cross cut coasters will prob be fine. But if you cut the boards now, they'll possibly warp as they dry.
                                                            I have teak oil. Will give it a go.

In retrospect, the largest log still isn't wide enough for chopping boards. So I have a dozen coasters for enormous glasses.

Comment

I have teak oil. Will give it a go.

In retrospect, the largest log still isn't wide enough for chopping boards. So I have a dozen coasters for enormous glasses.
                                                              Once seasoned, that plum wood would be very nice added to a smoker, duck,pork...mmm
                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                Do you remember Ger Wolfe . Went to support his Stags Head gig . Only 2 people there . He and band still played. Felt bad for him.

Isnt Joe Chester involved with these now. Great outfit
                                                                Don't remember Ger Wolfe at all, might explain why there was only 2 people there!

Yeah, Joe is one of the members of A Lazarus Soul. He was working on a new solo album in late 2018 so that should be out soon, haven't noticed it yet though but may have missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                  Speaking of Stanford and experiments which may be bogus, this antibody prevalence study came out yesterday. It is estimating that the rate of infection may be 50 to 85 times higher than previously thought. Their method of gathering data does seem to be flawed in that they recruited volunteers through Facebook ads so there may be a bias there.

Background Addressing COVID-19 is a pressing health and social concern. To date, many epidemic projections and policies addressing COVID-19 have been designed without seroprevalence data to inform epidemic parameters. We measured the seroprevalence of antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 in Santa Clara County. Methods On 4/3-4/4, 2020, we tested county residents for antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 using a lateral flow immunoassay. Participants were recruited using Facebook ads targeting a representative sample of the county by demographic and geographic characteristics. We report the prevalence of antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 in a sample of 3,330 people, adjusting for zip code, sex, and race/ethnicity. We also adjust for test performance characteristics using 3 different estimates: (i) the test manufacturer’s data, (ii) a sample of 37 positive and 30 negative controls tested at Stanford, and (iii) a combination of both. Results The unadjusted prevalence of antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 in Santa Clara County was 1.5% (exact binomial 95CI 1.11-1.97%), and the population-weighted prevalence was 2.81% (95CI 2.24-3.37%). Under the three scenarios for test performance characteristics, the population prevalence of COVID-19 in Santa Clara ranged from 2.49% (95CI 1.80-3.17%) to 4.16% (2.58-5.70%). These prevalence estimates represent a range between 48,000 and 81,000 people infected in Santa Clara County by early April, 50-85-fold more than the number of confirmed cases. Conclusions The population prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 antibodies in Santa Clara County implies that the infection is much more widespread than indicated by the number of confirmed cases. Population prevalence estimates can now be used to calibrate epidemic and mortality projections. ### Competing Interest Statement The authors have declared no competing interest. ### Funding Statement We acknowledge many individual donors who generously supported this project with gift awards. The funders had no role in the design and conduct of the study, nor in the decision to prepare and submit the manuscript for publication. ### Author Declarations All relevant ethical guidelines have been followed; any necessary IRB and/or ethics committee approvals have been obtained and details of the IRB/oversight body are included in the manuscript. Yes All necessary patient/participant consent has been obtained and the appropriate institutional forms have been archived. Yes I understand that all clinical trials and any other prospective interventional studies must be registered with an ICMJE-approved registry, such as ClinicalTrials.gov. I confirm that any such study reported in the manuscript has been registered and the trial registration ID is provided (note: if posting a prospective study registered retrospectively, please provide a statement in the trial ID field explaining why the study was not registered in advance). Yes I have followed all appropriate research reporting guidelines and uploaded the relevant EQUATOR Network research reporting checklist(s) and other pertinent material as supplementary files, if applicable. Yes The data is not available for sharing at this time.

Comment

----------Oblak------------
                                                                    ----Cafu----Van Dijk---Lizarazu
                                                                    Srna--------------------
                                                                    ---------De Bruyne----Gascoigne
                                                                    ---------Totti----------
                                                                    Messi----Shearer----C Ronaldo

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                                                      Srna--------------------
                                                                      ---------Totti----------
                                                                      Shearer and Gazza!

Comment

Originally posted by premierstone View Post
                                                                        Shearer and Gazza!
                                                                        Jaysis even I knew that.
                                                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Swap Gazza for Jaoquin and he has a team I think.
                                                                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                            9 days?
                                                                            is it pearse lyons or teelings?
                                                                            Pearse Lyons.

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                            Now I'm tilted by the delay in a Ryanair refund, requested end of last month, now they just sent me an email giving me a voucher and telling me I can request a refund if I want but there will be a queue
                                                                            You made me double check mine, got an email the other day to say there was a delay in processing but that it would be refunded I'm hoping "Please rest assured your refund request is currently in the queue and will be processed. If you have selected new travel dates and would prefer to move your booking, please contact us"
                                                                            "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                              Swap Gazza for Jaoquin and he has a team I think.
                                                                              Still stuck with Shearer and VVD, Cafu an Totti.
                                                                              Last edited by Dice75; 18-04-20, 16:51.

Comment

Srna--------------------
                                                                                ---------Totti----------
                                                                                Cafu and Totti played together at Roma.

Comment

V will appreciate this.

Seems I fucked up and should have used a log that had been cut 6+months ago.
                                                                                  Also hand-sawed mine so they are certainly rustic. Will let them season a bit and see what happens.
                                                                                  Lol. I love the art of manliness blog and website.

First thing I thought when I saw the earlier post was you should have let the wood dry out.. Didn’t bother posting as it was too late.

I know I have been ingrained from an early age with wood (pardon the pun) with my Dad being a carpenter but there’s just something so satisfying and tactile in working with and making things from wood. I was never much of a craftsman when I was a kid (more the labourer and on occasion the negotiator) but I’ve taken to up-cycling and working on a few small projects over the last while. Will probably go down that rabbit hole in a big way over the next few years. A man needs a hobby and it’s a very satisfying one.
                                                                                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Folks, I am planning to build a BBQ hut/Shelter/lean to type thing, I have started a thread in the other place, but if anyone knows anything about building such things please feel free to give me some guidance !
                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                                                                                        Speaking of Stanford and experiments which may be bogus, this antibody prevalence study came out yesterday. It is estimating that the rate of infection may be 50 to 85 times higher than previously thought. Their method of gathering data does seem to be flawed in that they recruited volunteers through Facebook ads so there may be a bias there.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....14.20062463v1
                                                                                        Now if you read that really carefully it says they found antibodies in 1.5% of people (as a median for the range of inaccuracy in the test). They then play a bit of jazz with that result to suggest it *could* be as high as 5.71% of the weighted whole population. They then say this is as much as 85 fold higher than the reported covid 19 volume for that population sample they’ve played jazz to reach. That’s the media takeaway obviously.

Context is the US really hasn’t been testing, so they will end up with much higher ‘x fold more antibodies than y confirmed cases’ results that much of the western world. The other thing is that even if their upper end maths is right and it’s say 6% through the population that’s way way short of the numbers needed for herd immunity or any meaningful impact on a subsequent wave.

Lastly, the numbers here are way more ambitious than a serological survey performed in Germany or the one in Scotland last week (6 of 1000). So yeah, large dollops of salt required!
                                                                                        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                          Still stuck with Shearer and VVD, Cafu an Totti.
                                                                                          You are of course correct.

Back to the drawing board.

Was trying to put together another team earlier not using the players but it was too tough. Had to reuse some.

Neuer

Coleman. Kompany. Maldini.

Kante.

Jj Okocha. Bergkamp. Denilson/Jaoquin.

Messi. CR7.

Shearer.
                                                                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                            A two hour battery life and a screen resolution the equivalent of the original Super Mario game. It's definitely a nice idiot filter for anyone willing to waste 500 euro on that heap of junk.

My 160 euro Huawei p-smart has 2340 x 1080 screen and twice the battery life. And bear in mind that's just last years model.

It's hard to think of two things more important. Like who cares what the chip is if it can't do basic things. Camera is crap too.

For the same price you can get the Huawei P20 which is easily 10 times better. E.g. a Leica 40mp camera (vs 12mp for Apple) and a battery three times the size, plus everything else so far ahead its almost cruel to compare.
                                                                                            People get very trenchant about this stuff, but I think PSV is right on the impact the phone could have on the market, rightly or wrongly. I had the previous SE for a couple of years and it was excellent btw, relative price considered.
                                                                                            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                              Jesus Apple just destroyed the mid to range android market, you would have to hate money if you were in the market for a non top of the range phone and didn’t go for their new SE
                                                                                              500E for a phone that will get minimum 5 years of software updates, newest chip and very good camera
                                                                                              Pulled the rug out from all the companies who have followed them up over the grand mark just because
                                                                                              Just taking money off themselves. Locked in Apple dolts won't have to buy the €900 model anymore.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                  You are of course correct.

Back to the drawing board.

Was trying to put together another team earlier not using the players but it was too tough. Had to reuse some.

Neuer

Coleman. Kompany. Maldini.

Kante.

Jj Okocha. Bergkamp. Denilson/Jaoquin.

Messi. CR7.

Shearer.
                                                                                                  Is that some Bergkamp center mid I've never heard of?

Comment

Jasus, everyone is on the DIY trail it seems...
                                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Is that some Bergkamp center mid I've never heard of?
                                                                                                      Nah its actually only Kante centre mid.

Not like the line ahead of him will do anything without the ball anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                        Jasus, everyone is on the DIY trail it seems...
                                                                                                        Got my fence sorted yesterday. Email enquiry Monday, ordered on the phone Tuesday, delivered Wednesday, tore down the old one Thursday and my handyman neighbour/colleague came over at 9am yesterday to put up the new one for me. He even made a gate for me which I was not looking forward to doing. We were done and duster by 4pm which was grand.

Did the aul standing outside, hands on hips, admiring it with a beer yesterday evening

Comment

Got my fence sorted yesterday. Email enquiry Monday, ordered on the phone Tuesday, delivered Wednesday, tore down the old one Thursday and my handyman neighbour/colleague came over at 9am yesterday to put up the new one for me. He even made a gate for me which I was not looking forward to doing. We were done and duster by 4pm which was grand.

Did the aul standing outside, hands on hips, admiring it with a beer yesterday evening
                                                                                                          Good man. You’ll get years out of admiring it for minimal time spent.
                                                                                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Srna-----Van Dijk---Maldini---Lizarazu
                                                                                                            ---Titov------De Bruyne----
                                                                                                            ---------Totti----------

Comment

Btw I’m posting at the moment from one of these bad boys strung between two of my trees. Fucking class way to relax for a very minimal cost. Birds are twittering night and day here at the moment and the trees are just coming in to blossom. Class.

Comment

---------Totti----------
                                                                                                                Almost there, still have two Southampton players there.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                                  Folks, I am planning to build a BBQ hut/Shelter/lean to type thing, I have started a thread in the other place, but if anyone knows anything about building such things please feel free to give me some guidance !
                                                                                                                  I recommend you check out Home renovision on YouTube. A Canadian guy who does a lot of DIY projects. He did a very decent shed which would be very relevant to you.

Comment

---------Totti----------
                                                                                                                    You still have VVD and Shearer who both player for Southampton

Comment

Shame El Buitre didn't make any team.

"A great striker with a good vision of the game and a great ability to improvise. He was one of the best players of his generation" (Alfredo Di Stefano about...

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                                        Almost there, still have two Southampton players there.
                                                                                                                        Ah ffs

Also had two Italians
                                                                                                                        Last edited by cardshark202; 18-04-20, 17:35.

Comment

Srna-----Koulibaly---Maldini---Lizarazu
                                                                                                                          ---------Bergkamp----------
                                                                                                                          Messi----Bebeto----C Ronaldo
                                                                                                                          Last edited by cardshark202; 18-04-20, 17:41.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X