This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

ha - That was you on the list! Did what I was saying sound clear? I was surprisingly nervous before that as haven't spoke to non-kids except the wife in weeks.
    Nic certainly likes to be the centre of attention alright. We’re many on it.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Nic certainly likes to be the centre of attention alright. We’re many on it.
      we are legion.

ha! and that was all thanks to you. They're a very nice group!
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
        Are any of the restaurant home kits worth doing?
        We've done a few

Liath to Go
        Bastible
        Clanbrassil House
        Mr Fox
        Uno Mas
        Uno Pizza
        Two Pups
        Host
        Etto

All involved either arranging ingredients and/or some form of heating up be it in the oven, in a pan/pot, etc. Nothing was in any way difficult but the amount of work varied between them.

They were all very good but for us, we both agreed that Clanbrassil House just pipped them all.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Why would you pay a restaurant to cook your own food?
          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

I never got your vehement anti-vegetarian stance before but then did you mention family working on a farm the other day? I may have picked i up wrong.
            Don't have the faculty to put together a coherent rant right now but in a nutshell I see it as a category error that muddles up an anthropmorphic misunderstanding of our place in evolution with a distorted sort of spilt religon that is a curious mix of stern protestant rightousness and holier than thou hippy dippy environmentalism.
            (extended out to 200 words throwing in a few zingers )

I don't farm myself but some of my family do and I would be invested in a few bits of livestock but thats not what bothers me, its the incoherent and inconsistent politics that IMO is fundamentally misantrophoic and as an environtmental movment offer nothing better than 'Kill yourself and save the planet'

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I was miles off. It was 10.

10 /211. 201 GOP Representatives don't think last week worthy of impeachment.
              Trump now accounts for half of all Presidential impeachments

Comment

Speaking of zingers

Comment

So you have skin in the skin game?

You must know yourself remarkably well to have the view that your background conditions don't affect your feelings on this matter. And I use the word feelings advisedly as it's clearly a very emotional issue for you from all your posts on the matter.

I always thought it rather strange that you were so emotional about what some other people choose to eat. Knowing your connections to farming I don't now find it strange at all.

Comment

You must know yourself remarkably well to have the view that your background conditions don't affect your feelings on this matter. And I use the word feelings advisedly as it's clearly a very emotional issue for you from all your posts on the matter.

I always thought it rather strange that you were so emotional about what some other people choose to eat. Knowing your connections to farming I don't now find it strange at all.
                    Nearly everyone would have some sort of connection to farming surely?

The organic and anti-GMO nature of a lot of vegetarian campaigns is probably what pisses some people off if they want to be correctly pissed off.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                      Pick the dish that you can cook but a restaurant does better

More than you think of salt,pepper, herbs, cream if called for
                      Add the cream a lot later than you would normally
                      +
                      If western food... throw a big dollop of butter into the pan/pot

If Indian... throw a big dollop of (clarified if you can be arsed) butter into the pan/pot + more powdered spice than you think you need

If Asian... throw a big dollop of Soy/Fish/sauce of choice in pan/pot with added 5 spice/MSG(easy on the salt) etc

More exotic than above... look at ingredients... add more of the one your not sure about

Appendix:From above, don't go too mad with spices etc that could kill you

PMA

Comment

Steak on a stone without even having to let them in the door.
                        Genius
                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post

How does he know someone didnt go around and collect the wool when it falls off naturally? That'd surely be vegan no?
                          Where would they be going around collecting it exactly?

Nearly everyone would have some sort of connection to farming surely?
                          What's the logic on that one?
                          Farming is about 5% of the workforce. "Connections" would increase that number obviously.
                          But can't see it getting anywhere near "everyone" given about half of the population lives in cities and satellite towns.

Comment

Sleep pattern now officially upsidedown

Anyhu... Let this sink in

Dick Cheney is one of the worst cunts to ever walk on this planet
                            The Trump's are currently busy making that family look good...

WTActualF

Too stupid to be changed as an adult is a possible defence for that fuckwit
                            Last edited by Elshambles; 14-01-21, 04:52.
                            PMA

Comment

Yikes, even the Kochs are backing away from the GOP now. If that doesn't cause some serious soul-searching, nothing will.
                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

2 nights ago I opened a bottle of wine, decent quality stuff as one would expect from a member of the HHE. Anyone I split it over 2 nights. I've had the most bizarre reaction to it. Night 1 my sinuses completely blocked up, had to get up in the middle of the night to take some gear to clear the head. I was half doubtful that it was the wine so last night I ate my dinner first and an hour later had the wine (just separating the effects of the food from the wine). A few sips in last night and the exact same thing happens - sinus immediately clogged up and took a go of meds to clear my head.

The wine has sulfites (220 - sulphur dioxide), it has no egg. I've drank more than my fair share of wine with sulfites but this has never happened to me. Can anybody relate?

Comment

Welcome to old age GAB

Comment

Surely it's the proselytising that he has issue with?

Jehovahs witnesses knocking on your door and The Iona Institute being on TV for every civil rights discussion since God knows when vs Mary having a quiet pray to herself are certainly not equivalent.

Comment

Going to try to end the day on a double-movie success with the fascinating looking Class Action Park.

Where did you get it? Netflix?

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Where did you get it? Netflix?
                                        Think I just torrented it. Torrent+VPN is as safe as houses.

Comment

Stephen "unfuckinbelievable" Donnelly...
                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak View Post
                                            2 nights ago I opened a bottle of wine, decent quality stuff as one would expect from a member of the HHE. Anyone I split it over 2 nights. I've had the most bizarre reaction to it. Night 1 my sinuses completely blocked up, had to get up in the middle of the night to take some gear to clear the head. I was half doubtful that it was the wine so last night I ate my dinner first and an hour later had the wine (just separating the effects of the food from the wine). A few sips in last night and the exact same thing happens - sinus immediately clogged up and took a go of meds to clear my head.

The wine has sulfites (220 - sulphur dioxide), it has no egg. I've drank more than my fair share of wine with sulfites but this has never happened to me. Can anybody relate?
                                            I hear there's an awful dose going around at the minute too

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                              Where would they be going around collecting it exactly?

What's the logic on that one?
                                              Farming is about 5% of the workforce. "Connections" would increase that number obviously.
                                              But can't see it getting anywhere near "everyone" given about half of the population lives in cities and satellite towns.
                                              Because we're not just connected now, but through our past. So our grandparents, for example. The majority of employment was in agriculture in 1916 and I know we don't have tangible connections back to then (except strew), but our grandparents go back close enough to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                I see it as a category error that muddles up an anthropmorphic misunderstanding of our place in evolution with a distorted sort of spilt religon that is a curious mix of stern protestant rightousness and holier than thou hippy dippy environmentalism.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

I hear there's an awful dose going around at the minute too
                                                  I took a home test and came back clear.

Comment

Would it be worth trying another bottle that also has sulphites, but isn't the same brand. See if its sulphites or that particular bottle.

Comment

Because we're not just connected now, but through our past. So our grandparents, for example. The majority of employment was in agriculture in 1916 and I know we don't have tangible connections back to then (except strew), but our grandparents go back close enough to that.
                                                      Yes in the past, there was much higher connection to agriculture, absolutely. But we’re talking about the connection now.

I don’t think an unknown ancestor who farmed 100 years makes one connected to farming in 2021. Certainly not in a way that impacts your view of vegetarianism.

Comment

Person...Woman...Man......Camera..TV

Comment

Would it be worth trying another bottle that also has sulphites, but isn't the same brand. See if its sulphites or that particular bottle.
                                                          I'd say it's merely that his body isn't used to him drinking so little.

Try two bottles tonight and you'll be grand imo.

Comment

This is what loyalty to Trump gets you.

Very hard to say anything except HA! HA! HA!

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                              Yes in the past, there was much higher connection to agriculture, absolutely. But we’re talking about the connection now.

I don’t think an unknown ancestor who farmed 100 years makes one connected to farming in 2021. Certainly not in a way that impacts your view of vegetarianism.
                                                              I mean I personally feel I have a serious connection to farming due to my gran being a farmer. I don't think it impacts on my views on vegetarianism* though.

*the devils meal

Comment

It's difficult to see the harm in the taking of the wool of sheep though.
                                                                Person...Woman...Man......Camera..TV

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                  shear hypocrisy

Comment

Another yarn .

Comment

What would ewe know?

Comment

I mean I personally feel I have a serious connection to farming due to my gran being a farmer. I don't think it impacts on my views on vegetarianism* though.
                                                                        *the devils meal
                                                                        I think your estimate probably being skewed by connection. You’ve a connection. I’m sure many here do. But most people? Probably not imo.

Comment

I think most of our connection to agriculture has come via Copper Face Jack's

Comment

As somebody that grew up and worked on farms and in a dairy, Hitch sounds like an American coming here and telling us that he is Irish.

I do think a lot of people feel the same as you.

Comment

saw that this morning.
                                                                              He looks in good form anyway
                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                As somebody that grew up and worked on farms and in a dairy, Hitch sounds like an American coming here and telling us that he is Irish.

I do think a lot of people feel the same as you.
                                                                                Its spelled diary tar. duh. its where real farmers like me record our feelings about the animals and our true connection to the land.

Comment

This is what loyalty to Trump gets you.

Very hard to say anything except HA! HA! HA!
                                                                                  a person familiar with the matter tells CNN, though aides were not clear if the President was serious about his instructions
                                                                                  They just print anything these days.
                                                                                  Last edited by Denny Crane; 14-01-21, 13:34.

Comment

Yeah. That's the real story here, declining standards in journalism.

Comment

You don't - In a meal kit all the food is cooked.

It's generally a three course meal (although there is some you can go for less) so it doesn't come hot and ready to eat like a takeaway, so you need to reheat some stuff. On most of the ones we got, the starter was generally cold so you have to just arrange things on a plate, pour a dressing/sauce over it, etc - They don't have the dressing/sauce all ready on it as would be a soggy shit show by the time you get to eat it.

The main would normally need reheating, either meat in the oven or maybe in the pan with a sauce, you'd also reheat veg, etc

Desserts were generally cold also so just needed serving up.

The reason as to why we do it is that A) We like their food B) As good a cook as we are, we not properly trained so there stuff is better and probably most important C)If these restaurants don't get support during lockdown when they can't get people into the restaurant, they won't be still around when it's all over!

Comment

Thoughts on treason, inciting insurrection, undermining the legitimacy of free and fair elections etc?

Comment

There you are now Lao Lao. HCWs getting the lions share at present.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Wine could also be very high in histamines and produce that reaction. Try eating a tomato and see if you get the same effect.

Unlucky if you've developed a sulphite allergy as it means you'll be drinking organic wine only from now on.
                                                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

If Strewel had to pick one of the below, which do people reckon he'd go for

A three hour long five course dinner with the top 5 people in Sinn Fein - Meat/Fish would be served

OR

A three hour long five course dinner with 5 vegans - Only vegan food would be served.

Comment

Thoughts on treason, inciting insurrection, undermining the legitimacy of free and fair elections etc?
                                                                                                This guy?

Comment

@HH, looks like we were both right on the vaccinations - once they clear the health service settings, vaccines will be given in a mix of GP surgeries, pharmacies and mass vaccination centres

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

A three hour long five course dinner with the top 5 people in Sinn Fein - Meat/Fish would be served

OR

A three hour long five course dinner with 5 vegans - Only vegan food would be served.

Nobody knows who the 'Top 5 people in Sinn Fein' are

maybe it would look like this:
                                                                                                    maxresdefault.jpg

Comment

This guy?

'Disgraced Former President Donald J Trump'

or simply

'the worst President in US history'

what's your personal preference?

Comment

OR

I'd take both over a 5 min McDonalds drive thru with a Trumptard

Comment

'Disgraced Former President Donald J Trump'

or simply

'the worst President in US history'

what's your personal preference?
                                                                                                          Personally, I prefer something more objective. Perhaps only President to ever have been impeached twice?

Comment

Fair point Brian. Supporting the restaurant is a nice thing to do.

Comment

If it looks like a Trump , acts like a Trump, sounds like a Trump.

It's a cunt .

Comment

Speaking of food, one day left in my deliveroo week of paid eating, how will I go back to cooking. It is actually a lot of work to be ordering, taking mediocre pics, eating this stuff every day, and god help my scales.

Comment

OR

Some tiny chance that the shinners would be able to see the error of their ways even if they woud be too scared to admit it in front of other politburo members and I'd quite likely learn something about how and why they don't want to see the light, decent chance of some craic too. Close to zero chance of learning anything other than some shite recipies from the vegans

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                                    Speaking of food, one day left in my deliveroo week of paid eating, how will I go back to cooking. It is actually a lot of work to be ordering, taking mediocre pics, eating this stuff every day, and god help my scales.
                                                                                                                    What's been your favourite?

Comment

I made a lentil soup for lunch. Although did sneakily use chicken stock.

Now noted that vegetarian daughter helped herself to a large portion in the meantime.

Modern manners: do I say anything?

Comment

I've noticed that when you have someone blocked they don't count towards the number of likes listed for a post if they have liked (but you can see they liked it by clicking on the number). I think this is an excellent expunging of undesirables' opinions and preferences.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Personally, I prefer something more objective. Perhaps only President to ever have been impeached twice?
                                                                                                                          I mean... by any objective standard its hard to imagine a worse president.
                                                                                                                          You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                                          World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X