This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
    I musr be one of the few renters left here at this stage.

Speaking of which, moved this year, at realised at winter time that we've very much not living in a A rated place.

Got some mould appearing recently. Cleaned it up. But is a dehumidifier worth getting? Kinda hoping it won't be an issue once weather gets better.
    I haven't rented in a few years. Have rents gone down at all?

Comment

When I was moving a few months ago there were some good charts showing the price declines on boards.

​​​​​​Dunno what it's like now. But imagine city centre demand is still dead. I think my last place is still available despite the rent being dropped. And it was rent controlled, so it's now going for ~500 less than what the equivalent upstairs was let for.

​​​​
      Last edited by Denny Crane; 08-01-21, 15:43.

Comment

Trump boycotts inauguration.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Tis in it's hoop. I've heard people say "geebag" aloud more in the last year than this phrase.

(note, have been working from home and pretty much isolating for a year, so a pretty bad year to test)
          Oh I've never actually heard it being said in person, but it's very prevalent in written form.

Comment

Go ask a non-white friend if they like being referred to as a person of colour and they will laugh in your face.

POC is for politicians and the like trying to thread a needle and not having a good grasp of ethnicities/races.

Comment

Wind of Change.

Dont remember it mentioned, but the above podcast is fascinating. Dont know much about the cold war and the back and forth between the CIA and KGB.

Basic premise is Scorpian are responsible for the fall of the iron curtain after the CIA wrote wind of change for them...

But it delves deeper into cold war era spys and "cultural attaches" 40min episodes. half way through and loving it.

This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

have you purchased yourself an automobile to accompany this fine new possession?
                this has always amazed me in Ireland. Allowed to own a car and drive on a learner permit. Beyond ridiculous and terrifying. i knew someone who'd failed her driving test 7 times and yet driving was part of her job.

Comment

Project for big IT system kicking off at work, which I will be involved in. Most people involved agree that the high level project timelines are ridiculously ambitious, yet senior management are pushing ahead with them. Is this standard project management think these days? Like go for something totally unrealistic up front so there is scope to add pressure \ crunch work down the line. Thought that style for planning went out with the typewriter.
                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                    Project for big IT system kicking off at work, which I will be involved in. Most people involved agree that the high level project timelines are ridiculously ambitious, yet senior management are pushing ahead with them. Is this standard project management think these days? Like go for something totally unrealistic up front so there is scope to add pressure \ crunch work down the line. Thought that style for planning went out with the typewriter.
                    Often a symptom of mid level types who lack the courage to push back and/or deliver bad news. Bad project omen imo, sensible deadlines for this stuff are rarely met.

If the project managers can't deliver a good schedule from the higher-ups time to start gathering protective material / positioning yourself for when the fallout starts

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

this has always amazed me in Ireland. Allowed to own a car and drive on a learner permit. Beyond ridiculous and terrifying. i knew someone who'd failed her driving test 7 times and yet driving was part of her job.
                      That used to be the case but you're not allowed drive unaccompanied on a learner's permit

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

I do both!!!

Me and Mrs Lao Lao rent and I pay the mortgage on my house where my Dad lives rent free.

It's win/win, just for other people and not me

I'd highly recommend it
                        I'll be doing both for a short while.
                        House due to close next week or so.
                        But will take a while to move shit and get house ready for whats needed.

Had quite an entertaining call with citizens info today regarding grants and timelimes.
                        "How long is a piece of string" was the expert opinion
                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

That used to be the case but you're not allowed drive unaccompanied on a learner's permit
                          ah good. so the streets are safe from Hitch for a little while longer!

Comment

Originally posted by Western_Sean View Post

Often a symptom of mid level types who lack the courage to push back and/or deliver bad news. Bad project omen imo, sensible deadlines for this stuff are rarely met.

If the project managers can't deliver a good schedule from the higher-ups time to start gathering protective material / positioning yourself for when the fallout starts
                            Totally. I have raised my concerns on the record but I'm not sure how valuable I told you so's will be when the heat comes on.

I'm dreading next year, as I don't perform well in the organized chaos of a clusterfcuk recovery, where the narrative can become somewhat surreal. I'm fairly literal and might find it all a little too stressy. I wish I could just go with the flow and collect the paycheck.

Comment

I bet there is a Dilbert for this exact scenario. Scott Adam’s is now a pariah but he was spot on about the nonsense of workplaces.

Western Sean is right. This won’t end well, you know the outcome. Time to figure out how to come out of it shining.

The problem is that every other smart person will be doing the same. So now you have a culture of CYA enacted by smart people which quick becomes toxic and ruins you wanting to work there.
                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

Yeah and the Garda have the power to take the car now if you're caught.

Also, have to upgrade from L plates to N plates for 2 years after passing the test to indicate you're a novice driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

I bet there is a Dilbert for this exact scenario. Scott Adam’s is now a pariah but he was spot on about the nonsense of workplaces.
                                  It's hard to reconcile the brilliance of Dilbert with how much of a moron SA is.

Comment

Perhaps its simply the honeymoon period but I’m delighted with my recent move, it just seems so well run and so eager to change if required.

Ive been on both sides of the corporate spectrum from behemoth to start up but this crowd just seems incredibly clued in.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Yeah and the Garda have the power to take the car now if you're caught.

Also, have to upgrade from L plates to N plates for 2 years after passing the test to indicate you're a novice driver.
                                      They can even roadside test you for cocaine/cannabis/etc. Things have changed a bit over the last few years.
                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1684292&d=1610131350&type=thumb
                                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

It’s unclear exactly what would happen with the Champions Cup and Challenge Cup if the French clubs were unable to play their scheduled fixtures this month on the weekends of 15/16/17 January and 22/23/24 January, but the entire tournament is now in doubt amidst the threat of the French clubs being unable to play this month.

If French clubs are unable to play cross-border fixtures, it would also bring into question the viability of the 2021 Six Nations, which is due to start in just four weeks’ time.

7538CE4E-6191-4DB3-B73E-671DB2E47E0E.jpeg

Comment

Totally. I have raised my concerns on the record but I'm not sure how valuable I told you so's will be when the heat comes on.
                                            Don't ever do this.

If you flag the problem, it becomes your problem. And people will then associate your name with the failure.

If you don't have management responsibility for it, just sit back and enjoy the clusterfuck. Maybe even have the solution ready to hand to produce (ideally the day before bonuses are decided).
                                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

It's hard to reconcile the brilliance of Dilbert with how much of a moron SA is.
                                              Ah he's just playing a different game. He's a shameless narcissist. He found an easy bandwagon to build a following.

He's a guy who figured out a way to make tens of millions by working about 30 mins a day. He's no moron.

Comment

Ah he's just playing a different game. He's a shameless narcissist. He found an easy bandwagon to build a following.

He's a guy who figured out a way to make tens of millions by working about 30 mins a day. He's no moron.
                                                you're talking about Trump still, right?

Comment

Poor timelines can be an indication someone has no clue how to do things properly. I find some people love to artificially create a time crisis just to use as a cover up for not being fit to organise and do the job properly
                                                  Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                  https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                    Poor timelines can be an indication someone has no clue how to do things properly. I find some people love to artificially create a time crisis just to use as a cover up for not being fit to organise and do the job properly
                                                    The draft plan had obvious required data migrations and system integrations missing. Pointed this out. Missing migrations and integrations added to task list. Timelines left unchanged

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

I know this looney owns a bar in New York. I've heard him say to oblivious New Yorkers. Howz yer GEE ?
                                                      I've a mate who uses this line a lot with the foreign girlies and we all have a laugh as he's saying it. If he gets a quizzical response he clarifies that he was saying 'Howz your day?'
                                                      Best though was when he tried it on a very tall extremely dark-skinned person of gender in a bar in Turkey. Quick as lightning she replied back in an unexpected Tallaght accent with 'I'll kick ya in the bollix ya little cunt'.

Comment

you're talking about Trump still, right?

Comment

He really is and Dilbert stopped being funny, clever or relevant in the late 20th century

Remember when you used to think much the same about Trump and look where that brought you
                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

The draft plan had obvious required data migrations and system integrations missing. Pointed this out. Missing migrations and integrations added to task list. Timelines left unchanged
                                                            This is how the game is played. Everyone knows the plan is BS but you have to go through the charade.

Comment

Elon Musk went ahead yesterday and overtook Bezos as the richest person in the world.

Tesla up almost 600% in the past 12 months. New potential customer in Hitch to top off quite a year

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                Elon Musk went ahead yesterday and overtook Bezos as the richest person in the world.

Tesla up almost 600% in the past 12 months. New potential customer in Hitch to top off quite a year
                                                                How much profit did Tesla make last year?

Must be zillionz, right?

Comment

This is how the game is played. Everyone knows the plan is BS but you have to go through the charade.
                                                                  That in the prince2 exam?

Comment

5 things I'm thinking if I'm you

1. Do I have any allies outside this project who can influence this?
                                                                    2. Is aggressive scope narrowing an option, can I influence that ?Ditto phased delivery with aggresive shifting of stuff in to phases not currently time bound.
                                                                    3. How does my CV look/ am I happy to head out into the market
                                                                    4. Is there a weak link in the PM team? Can I use other organisational influence to target it?
                                                                    5. What does the hill I'm prepared to die on look like?

Comment

Strongly disagree with this. Organisations who take this view are best avoided to my mind.

Comment

He got married a few months ago. Can't be doing that much wrong.

SPOILER
                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

How much profit did Tesla make last year?

Must be zillionz, right?
                                                                          Somewhere between zillionz and bazillion for sure.

I actually looked at end of Jan too, it was under $100 this time last year and currently sits at $875

Comment

One for the horror/movie aficionados...

'Dracula' and six other horror classics will stream for free on YouTube next week

I'll be tuning in for a Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein for sure.
                                                                            Last edited by BennyHiFi; 08-01-21, 21:11.

Comment

Those traffic wardens in Celbridge are like stealth bombers.

Parking fine came in the post. A Friday night at 8.40 back in October. Remembered it was a time I went down to collect an Indian.

I had paid over the phone, was sitting in the car outside waiting for them to call me.

I know everyone always says this but I honestly was no more than about 90 seconds out of the car running upstairs to the place to collect the food.

Cunce.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Oh I've never actually heard it being said in person, but it's very prevalent in written form.
                                                                                My surname is Magee. Not the first time I've heard it either. Any prizes for guessing what my nickname was as a kid

Comment

Originally posted by Western_Sean View Post

Strongly disagree with this. Organisations who take this view are best avoided to my mind.
                                                                                  The bigger the org, the more likely Wombatman's scenario in my experience.

It was a massive shock to me when I moved from a boutique investment bank (maybe 1500 employees max) to a global megabank: (1) how hard it is to get anything done (like literally in my old place, I could get a request to trade a brand new instrument in the morning and have it available in Production by the afternoon whereas in megabankland, that would take 6 months+. Laughing now as I remember the genius who structured a CDO of CDOs in 2008 - literally got that up and running in a day from an initial conversation of ' what the fuck is that?') and (2) how insanely political big orgs are.

Comment

Originally posted by limpwhacker View Post

My surname is Magee. Not the first time I've heard it either. Any prizes for guessing what my nickname was as a kid
                                                                                    Jimmy?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Jimmy?
                                                                                      Phil obv

Comment

I musr be one of the few renters left here at this stage.

Speaking of which, moved this year, at realised at winter time that we've very much not living in a A rated place.

Got some mould appearing recently. Cleaned it up. But is a dehumidifier worth getting? Kinda hoping it won't be an issue once weather gets better.
                                                                                        We've had a dehumidifier for a few years as we didn't have anywhere to dry clothes outside. We have found it brilliant for that purpose, if you're living in an apartment it is a total no brainer IMO. We also use it in rooms that are inclined to be damp. The amount of water it pulls out of the air is an eye-opener. The one I have I reckon would cost about €1 to run for 24 hours, so not free but not fairly manageable.

Comment

If Norma Foley had any cop on she would have issued an order forbidding schools from allowing teachers and special needs children to be in the same building during thi lockdown. 90% chance ASTI would have fought tooth and nail to allow it.
                                                                                          Fucking pricks

Comment

I can confirm this is standard practice in a large multinational semiconductor company with which I am familiar.

Comment

Phil obv
                                                                                              Ulick

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Ulick
                                                                                                Pat

Comment

Comment

[X] Banger

Comment

Pat
                                                                                                      Bah, I used my best one first

Comment

Bah, I used my best one first
                                                                                                        I've been holding back Rodger

Comment

I love the internet. Each just spontaneously adding a part:

"I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

We've had a dehumidifier for a few years as we didn't have anywhere to dry clothes outside. We have found it brilliant for that purpose, if you're living in an apartment it is a total no brainer IMO. We also use it in rooms that are inclined to be damp. The amount of water it pulls out of the air is an eye-opener. The one I have I reckon would cost about €1 to run for 24 hours, so not free but not fairly manageable.
                                                                                                            Have you a link for it . Mia's bedroom window is horrific in mornings. I have to use an electric window cleaner thingy to take the water off and often wondered about getting a dehumidifier. I saw one in Tesco but not electric and prob shite.
                                                                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

Pat
                                                                                                              Haha... reminded me of a press release I wrote once for the Paddy Power World Strip Poker Championship.

Featuring one 'Petma Boom' which I thought was a great Carry On movie name, inserted for my own amusement.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post

Have you a link for it . Mia's bedroom window is horrific in mornings. I have to use an electric window cleaner thingy to take the water off and often wondered about getting a dehumidifier. I saw one in Tesco but not electric and prob shite.
                                                                                                                The one we bought doesn't seem to be for sale any more but it was this fella:

They're dear enough for the good ones but they're serious pieces of kit. That was probably about €150 when I bought it.

The ones I've seen in places which are just small plastic boxes with little balls in them are shite - they might take half a glass of water out of the atmosphere in a month, the one in the link will pull out 20 litres in a day or two.

Comment

Comment

The 'please let me tweet again Jack' bit ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                                                      I love the internet. Each just spontaneously adding a part:

https://twitter.com/Peter_Fries/stat...02323950145537
                                                                                                                      I don't understand tictoc but I love that

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

Haha... reminded me of a press release I wrote once for the Paddy Power World Strip Poker Championship.

Featuring one 'Petma Boom' which I thought was a great Carry On movie name, inserted for my own amusement.
                                                                                                                        I'm liking Lance Magee too.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                                          The 'please let me tweet again Jack' bit ​​​​​​
                                                                                                                          got to click into it to get the last and best line

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X