This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    So who has run the numbers on a great brand of socks to not freeze your little toesies off in this cold? fck this country is cold, and cold toes really sap any energy away from being outside. Is it maybe some brand of sports sock?
    Wear 2 pairs
    His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

So who has run the numbers on a great brand of socks to not freeze your little toesies off in this cold? fck this country is cold, and cold toes really sap any energy away from being outside. Is it maybe some brand of sports sock?
      Think its a visit to the GP you need, not a sock retailer. Cold toes, really?
      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Get winter boots/trainers that are also waterproof. Change into your fancy shoes at work.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Get winter boots/trainers that are also waterproof. Change into your fancy shoes at work.
          This is the pro tip.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

PSG match postponed mid game due to alleged racist remark by an official? That must be a first.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                  PSG match postponed mid game due to alleged racist remark by an official? That must be a first.

crazy scenes
                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Is saying the black guy racist when identifying someone?

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                      Yes. You assumed their Gender.

Comment

Does the official distinguish between people in the opposing scenario by stating “the white guy” or are they more likely to use an alternative means of identifying them such as number or name?

Comment

Does the official distinguish between people in the opposing scenario by stating “the white guy” or are they more likely to use an alternative means of identifying them such as number or name?
                          Well it was a Turkish group of staff he was talking about who are probably not black bar Webo, nor sporting numbers. If it's an African team and only one of their staff is white then "The white guy" seems appropriate.

Comment

Well it was a Turkish group of staff he was talking about who are probably not black bar Webo, nor sporting numbers. If it's an African team and only one of their staff is white then "The white guy" seems appropriate.
                            I don’t think the point is whether it’s appropriate or not, the point is whether in a real world example the term “ the white guy” would be used as a means of distinction even in example you gave.

Perhaps you feel they would, I’m not sure but irrespective of no name/number, one could simply point to the person or walk towards them.

Comment

I remember eagle eye used to argue that there was nothing racist about calling someone a black bastard because you were just describing the particular bastard you were talking about

Comment

I hope if there's some sort of hearing and one of the match officials is asked to identify a player, he says 'the overpaid asshole'.
                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I hope if there's some sort of hearing and one of the match officials is asked to identify a player, he says 'the overpaid asshole'.
                                  It wasn’t the Man Utd match so not sure Pogba will get brought up.

Comment

The bald guy will be next on the ban list.

Fair few in here cant described in 3 words or less then.
                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                      I remember eagle eye used to argue that there was nothing racist about calling someone a black bastard because you were just describing the particular bastard you were talking about
                                      I used to play cricket with a (very dark-skinned) guy from Sri Lanka who once caused consternation by calling an opposing West Indian player a 'black bastard'.

Nobody on the field (all white lads) knew what to do for about ten seconds until the West Indian lad burst out laughing. They had a good few black pints after the game too.

Comment

It wasn’t the Man Utd match so not sure Pogba will get brought up.
                                        Neymar plays for PSG.

Comment

I used to play cricket with .
                                          I remember in the 70s when 'dirty arab' was a common schoolyard term of abuse. Think it had something to do with the oil crisis, the '79 one.

Comment

Don't remember that. I do remember playing 'pickets', where some of us would be striking miners trying to break through the police cordon.
                                            Fairly on-topic version of British Bulldogs iirc.

Comment

I used to play cricket with a (very dark-skinned) guy from Sri Lanka who once caused consternation by calling an opposing West Indian player a 'black bastard'.

Nobody on the field (all white lads) knew what to do for about ten seconds until the West Indian lad burst out laughing. They had a good few black pints after the game too.
                                              Eddie Tillain

Comment

Don't remember that. I do remember playing 'pickets', where some of us would be striking miners trying to break through the police cordon.
                                                Fairly on-topic version of British Bulldogs iirc.
                                                That reminds me of my eldest brother spitting on my father for crossing the picket line in the place where they both worked. Fun times.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post

Eddie Tillain
                                                  No. Eddie a good man for the poker though!

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

and "ye Dirty Arab" was a common enough insult, though usually meant endearingly when I was growing up.
                                                    weirdly, I don't think any of us knew what an Arab was.
                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

It will get to the stage when you can't slag the culchies any more.. I'll perish on that rock.

Comment

Btw. Was today Culchie shopping day? The march of the Welly

Comment

Apparently that fourth official is Romanian and used the word 'negru'. Which means 'black'.

Seems like a misunderstanding rather than anything overtly racist if that's the case?

Comment

Comment

Whatever the outcome of the talks tomorrow we now know for sure that London has given up on maintaining the current status of NI within the UK putting us on an irreversible bath towards a de facto 36 county entity.
                                                              And we have Mary Lou go on the radio yesterday and unequivocally harden the SF/IRA position that the campaign of ethnic cleansing and criminal thuggery was morally justified.

What could possibly go wrong.
                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Seems okay, no? As someone said, if there was only one white, Asian guy, you would say 'that white, that Asian guy'. Not saying 'the black guy' seems odd given how notable black skin is. Like it really stands out when it's proper black.
                                                                How can you tell somebody is from Asia just by looking at them? Do you think it might be annoying to someone born and bred in Ireland, like Lee Chin, to be called the Asian guy? May never have set foot outside of Ireland.

There is a subconscious thing going on when looking for a feature that sets someone apart from others. A white guy is never going to say 'the white guy with the glasses' or 'the white guy with the bushy eyebrows', where the eyebrows or glasses are the differentiating factor. They will just say 'the guy with the glasses' or 'the guy with the bushy eyebrows' because subconsciously 'white guy' is the norm. They will however say the 'black guy with the glasses' or 'the black guy with the bushy eyebrows', where specifying the same differentiating factor would have been sufficient.

Black people not being part of the norm in 'the west' is the problem we are wrestling with here.

It's like people will say 'the doctor came with my results' or 'the female doctor came with my results' depending on the sex of the doctor.

Why bring skin colour or sex into it at all, unless it has a very specific purpose? We often include these unnecessary adjectives, subconsciously, because we perceive something as non-standard to our world view, and somehow important when conveying information.

Like it really stands out when it's proper black..............maybe in Tralee but not so much in Kinshasa. Now on the other hand, a pasty white ginger, with a blast of freckles in Kinshasa......
                                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

It seems ironic that in these social media days people often insult each other without restraint and deeply personal stuff too. ALL this whilst debating some apparent offensive remark that may or may not have been intentional. The fact is the abuse is very often intentional and very often vile. The act and mindset of racism is wrong but it's a pity people use it to offload their inner arse hole .

Good night BIG NOSE

Comment

In the office and going for Christmas lunch (with one other dude). Feels liberating.

Comment

Comment

Raoul, what kinda free cards are your mates getting in Brussels?

Comment

If you happened to be pointed out in much of Africa, it would be as a mzungu.

In China, you would be a gweilo, which means white ghost\devil. Racist?

Comment

Being 'black' or labelled as such has been a source of severe discrimination for a couple of hundred years.
                                                                            Being 'mzungu' or ginger, not on anywhere near the same level.
                                                                            So I don't think the comparison stands up at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                              Whatever the outcome of the talks tomorrow we now know for sure that London has given up on maintaining the current status of NI within the UK putting us on an irreversible bath towards a de facto 36 county entity.
                                                                              And we have Mary Lou go on the radio yesterday and unequivocally harden the SF/IRA position that the campaign of ethnic cleansing and criminal thuggery was morally justified.

What are the extra 4 counties that will be taken over when your outrage has cleared?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                Being 'black' or labelled as such has been a source of severe discrimination for a couple of hundred years.
                                                                                Shut your mouth BIG NOSE .

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                  Raoul, what kinda free cards are your mates getting in Brussels?
                                                                                  The perks they get are way more obscene than that upskirter.

One of the guys keeps finding more money in his pay every few months and is never sure why. 'Oh, you bought a house - house perk'. 'You had a child - child perk'. 'Your child started school - school perk'.

etc

Comment

Farang in Thailand. Gaijin in Japan.

I didn't ask for a discursion on relativity: I'm just asking are these, in our new enlightened times, considered to be racist?

Comment

Farang in Thailand. Gaijin in Japan.

I didn't ask for a discursion on relativity: I'm just asking are these, in our new enlightened times, considered to be racist?
                                                                                      I have absolutely no idea of the origins or usage of those terms.
                                                                                      But in general, if they are considered as derogatory, then I'd expect for them not to be used about me in my place of employment.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Wonder what the extra 4 counties are. Pretty exciting. Dublin changed to 3 for GAA and Tipp South and North splitting up?

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

What are the extra 4 counties that will be taken over when your outrage has cleared?
                                                                                            Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Wonder what the extra 4 counties are. Pretty exciting. Dublin changed to 3 for GAA and Tipp South and North splitting up?
                                                                                            Annexing part of Scotland obv
                                                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I'm just purely saying that someone having black skin is a notable feature that it seems reasonable to use as a marker to locate them among a group of other people who don't have black skin. And if there are a group of people where you are trying to point out the black person among the group, its clearly odd to not note their skin colour as an obvious identifying feature.
                                                                                              Happens in work all the time. Particularly in a global environment where you might only ever meet on video screens.

'Who's supposed to present to the client tomorrow?'

'Joe. The dude in Sydney.'

'Which one is he again?'

'He's the black guy\the white guy\the Chinese guy\whatever other easily identifiable feature comes to mind'

'Cool, thanks'

Comment

Happens in work all the time. Particularly in a global environment where you might only ever meet on video screens.
                                                                                                'Who's supposed to present to the client tomorrow?'
                                                                                                'Joe. The dude in Sydney.'
                                                                                                'Which one is he again?'
                                                                                                'He's the black guy\the white guy\the Chinese guy\whatever other easily identifiable feature comes to mind'

'Cool, thanks'
                                                                                                That's such a terrible comparison.
                                                                                                How about if the multi-way meeting had already started with Joe present, someone referred to Joe's written contribution, and you asked who was Joe again? Would someone point Joe out or would they say 'Joe is the black guy'. That's far closer to the situation in Paris yesterday and I suspect it wouldn't go down well.

Comment

That's such a terrible comparison.
                                                                                                  How about if the multi-way meeting had already started with Joe present, someone referred to Joe's written contribution, and you asked who was Joe again? Would someone point Joe out or would they say 'Joe is the black guy'. That's far closer to the situation in Paris yesterday and I suspect it wouldn't go down well.
                                                                                                  Then Joe would say 'I'm Joe'.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

One of the problems is there are no set out guidelines . Saying someone is black is only derogatory if this is a negative. I dont see it as a negative . Surely the intention needs to be considered . People are overly sensitive. There needs to be clear and defined rules. I dint saying that chap over there is acceptable and if pushed for description add the physical attributes. The Irish language is racist fear dubh being the divil

Comment

Then Joe would say 'I'm Joe'.
                                                                                                          If Joe was being coy & shy, I'm guessing someone would point him out, or refer to his clothes. I just can't see a situation where anyone would say 'the black guy' regardless of whether it's the quickest way to identify Joe. Not even the Aussies in your Sydney meeting.

Also this applies even more so if it was a negative work situation (like the red card in the football match was). It wasn't a reasonably friendly work place meeting.

Comment

Maybe AJ thinks black people shouldn't speak in meetings?
                                                                                                            He's also giving Joe negative character traits - he is shy and coy according to AJ.

In my mind, Joe is a heavy hitter who's going straight to the top.

Comment

He's also giving Joe negative character traits - he is shy and coy according to AJ.

In my mind, Joe is a heavy hitter who's going straight to the top.
                                                                                                              If he calls you boss after every sentence he is playing a reverso. Dont fall for it

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

If he calls you boss after every sentence he is playing a reverso. Dont fall for it
                                                                                                                Speaking of actual racism, I remember in my trips to South Africa that older black people would frequently call me 'baas'. Not good.

Frequently had conversations with taxi drivers\barmen\waiters that would go something like:

'How are you today, baas?'

'Fine. Please don't call me baas.'

'OK baas'.

And then I would sit there uncomfortably in my western liberal guilt-funk. Think they were trolling me.

Comment

Now that I think about it, I would invariably bestow an extra-large tip after one of those encounters.

Fair play to those victims of apartheid for figuring out a way to both monetize it and fuck with visitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                                    One of the problems is there are no set out guidelines . Saying someone is black is only derogatory if this is a negative. I dont see it as a negative . Surely the intention needs to be considered . People are overly sensitive. There needs to be clear and defined rules. I dint saying that chap over there is acceptable and if pushed for description add the physical attributes. The Irish language is racist fear dubh being the divil
                                                                                                                    Big nose!

On a completely different topic...

left the Fitz one in the wee hours
                                                                                                                    Pulled over as the windscreen was dusty and couldn't see through it properly. I hadnt bothered to fill the reservoir earlier so was just going to give it a wipe manually.
                                                                                                                    Car pulls up beside me and I see a uniform in it (car unmarked though) the guy in the passenger (no uniform)0 seat says something like "where you coming from" me "da Fitz"..then " why did you pull over when you saw us". This caused me a little confusion but rallied with "well you're in an unmarked car so..eh? (gesturing with the palms upward motion).....I pulled over to wipe the windscreen"
                                                                                                                    We both mulled over this observation for a few seconds (me with the hopeful slightly raised eyebrows of a man encouraging another to see the light with a touch of amused smugness) (him looking downwards with that frown of concentration desperately trying to find some way to regain the upper hand) it finally dawned on him that I wasnt the omnipotent criminal mastermind he was looking for so they sped off.

Comment

Some craic trying to change TV/BB provider.

Two weeks of calling sky daily then getting disconnected as all agents are busy. Finally get through after SatNav told me to ring in as a new sale/upgrade. Still took 2 hours between being on hold and getting transferred multiple times. Their two loyalty offers were more insulting than useless. I did had to leave my BB line running though as this was needed to ensure I could swap over to Vodafone with no interruption - would be a nightmare with WFH at the moment.

Now let's talk about trying to switch to Vodafone. Signed up online and got an install date. Date passes and no engineer turns up, no contact either. I call customer care and three different departments can't find my account - I don't exist. Message their twitter team and they came back to say my account was cancelled for "technical reasons". They advised signing up again. I deal with the work Vodafone account and never had issues so I said I'd give it another punt. Unfortunately it's the same story again from Vodafone. I called after creating the account and spoke to someone who said my 2nd account was pending cancellation again.... The rep said that he spotted this and re-processed everything manually. Fast forward another few days and no engineer.

In the mean time I've setup TV/BB with Virgin and it has been painless. New a/c setup in 10 mins and hardware arrives 2 days later by UPS. Plug everything in and I'm online in minutes. They did forget to include a cable splitter but a friendly neighbour had one.

Sky just billed me for another 30 days for €95 as Vodafone never transferred me across in time. Currently on hold with Vodafone to confirm that I don't exist for a 2nd time or otherwise cancel.

Fun and games

Comment

Anyone with Instagram can ya give this page a follow. For someone who finds the joy in simply having more followers, so figured I'd try to get some!

You could also be the first non-family customer if you wish

Welcome back to Instagram. Sign in to check out what your friends, family & interests have been capturing & sharing around the world.
                                                                                                                        Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Also, can anyone recommend a website for live horse racing? I am cool with paying, just want to watch them as close to live as possible and looking for a wide range, uk/ireland/france/australia/usa/south africa/new zealand
                                                                                                                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X