This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
    Heard a report on morning Ireland about mortgage approvals being quite up as more and more people are coming up with deposits.

So all that complaining about the impossibility of saving for a deposit when the solution was staring us in the face. The closure of bars, restaurants and foreign holidays.
    So it turns out Tar and his ilk were just being profligate all along....

Some 58 per cent of would-be property buyers have been able to save more money for a deposit since the advent of the pandemic than they would otherwise have done, the survey of 2,233 people found.
    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

If I'd had to guess who Valéry Giscard d’Estaing was, I would have gone for some bird who won the Eurovision ages ago.
      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Heard a report on morning Ireland about mortgage approvals being quite up as more and more people are coming up with deposits.

So all that complaining about the impossibility of saving for a deposit when the solution was staring us in the face. The closure of bars, restaurants and foreign holidays.
        it was always the supposed addiction of people to 'fancy takeaway frappacinos' that prevented them getting on the property ladder
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
          If I'd had to guess who Valéry Giscard d’Estaing was, I would have gone for some bird who won the Eurovision ages ago.
          A great European. Had kinda assumed he was dead many years ago, a bit like Jimmy Carter.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Oh man. Its depressing isnt it.

Place is riddled. My missus is positive, shes out the other end but was in the horrors over the weekend. Got tested Sat and only got her results today...
            US hit a record for deaths yesterday - 2,885.

Do have to wonder if the election, despite all the efforts, wasn't a superspreader event.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

US hit a record for deaths yesterday - 2,885.

Do have to wonder if the election, despite all the efforts, wasn't a superspreader event.
                  If my local shopping centre is anything to go by, we'll have a problem in a couple of weeks. People milling around the place like crazy, only the mask wearing would give any indication that anything was up. First time I had to leave anywhere in a hurry since March.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

Who did you use on the bathrooms? Would you recommend.
                      Bought from two places in Sandyford, had our plumber plumb them in as part of the overall job. Shop was just grand I wouldn’t say we did especially well, they were BTW and Tubs & Tiles, but they had the types of finishes we were after. We also had a carpenter working day work to do the bathroom fitouts which is a local guy, can PM number if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Always feel incredibly suspicious of these stories showing that young people were the villains all along. I'd imagine there is no report, or if there is a report it doesn't really show this, or if it does show this it doesn't control for any of the other reasons that might be driving it (e.g. that its mainly driven by non-first time buyers).
                        I do greatly enjoy putting on Joe Duffy-esque denunciations of 'young people' to my own young people. Drives them nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

I'll generously allow you first place in the Q further impressing her with my kind yet manly nature, this coupled with my impressive veins and its game over!

At any rate we will be way down in the pecking order
                          I get the scepticism and wariness just hoping there will be a reasonable take up.

There are a lot of unknowns for us laymen so not much point in debating how they determine efficacy among age and ethnic groups.

2.30am ffs have to be up in 41/2 hours

Watched a good programme about sleep deprivation the other night. Some poor woman having night terrors for years..would see a sinister man at the end of the bed..snakes etc..marriage broke up from her screaming in her semi sleep every night or regularly anyway.

Had a few of them myself ..terrifying but managed a way of dealing with them and they can almost be entertaining in a kind of a way (like a rollercoaster type thing)

Anyway g'night BBV

Night terrors are class

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Could have done you a nice en-suite for the €25k

Thanks to family in the trade doing nearly all of the above as well as a new roof to add a 20sqm bedroom/ensuite and also a new Utility and 30sqm extension downstairs for c€60k. Plenty loots in building and other trades it seems, dunno why anyone would bother with University.
                            Couldnt agree more, were going to have a serious brain drain of technical and practical skills in this country soon. Being a plumber or spark in 20 years time you’ll have the country to yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Couldnt agree more, were going to have a serious brain drain of technical and practical skills in this country soon. Being a plumber or spark in 20 years time you’ll have the country to yourself.
                              My bro enjoys nothing more than rubbing his lack of education in my face.

He is inundated with permanent & temporary jobs not to mention nixers.

He has a really handy gig at the minute as a contractor for a big retail outlet with plenty of time for side work when he wants it.

Comment

Comment

Most people with a trade do it as part of a degree nowadays don't they? Like in an IT / or what are now called technological universities.
                                  Perhaps there are some but in the case of my brother and his mates who are qualified within the past 3 years.

Leave school after JC or LC

Phase 1,3,5,7 on site

Phase 2,4,6 in an IT(very often differing phase to phase) for approx 12 weeks

In total it takes approx 4 years but they never entered college in the traditional sense, they were simply called on.

Comment

Comment

Always feel incredibly suspicious of these stories showing that young people were the villains all along. I'd imagine there is no report, or if there is a report it doesn't really show this, or if it does show this it doesn't control for any of the other reasons that might be driving it (e.g. that its mainly driven by non-first time buyers).
                                      Ah yeah, I'd guess so. My post was tongue in cheek, the struggle is real for those paying massive rents.

That's why I posted it here and not on twitter.
                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Can anyone recommend a good independent financial adviser please- location unimportant these days surel

im leaving money on the table re pensions, work share schemes etc and need some advice from somebody who isn’t on commission from spivs

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

those type tend to have been private school rugby playing types - I recommend doing nothing about it - you can't trust those types
                                            Don’t worry- have a set of questions about Gerry thornley to screen out the worst of those types

Comment

I know an ex-Clongowes, ex-UCD, ex-PWC fella by the name of Lucian Lorcan FitzPatrick-Lawlor who knows his way around an offshore account if you want his details.

He'll take that tabled money and spin it up lovely for you.

Comment

Nothing wrong with a bit of healthy scepticism on these vaccines that have been tested on small enough groups of people and have not checked even year-long side effects, let alone long-term sides effects. It's not like the health authorities are actually really looking at the data either.

I'll still take it and hope for the best, as am presuming the underlying science is rock solid. But nobody is a freak for not yet wanting to take the vaccine just yet. Its had nowhere near enough testing. It's not like being sceptical about MMR.

The nurse in my rehabilitation training in the hospital, and the physios, were saying the same thing today - about the idea that medical staff would go first. They seemed to have a reasonable healthy scepticism about the extent of testing. Now they'll reluctantly take it because of who they are dealing with, but it's not that it's zero risk.
                                                Isn't at least one of them an mRNA vaccine? They should be safer/less risk. Don't even have to put a weakened strain of the virus into somebody and after a few weeks there should be no trace of the vaccine itself in your body, developing an immunity to the virus without ever coming into contact with it. Science.

Comment

Most people with a trade do it as part of a degree nowadays don't they? Like in an IT / or what are now called technological universities.
                                                  Definitely not a degree type headed by a professor of plumbing. It’s essentially the same as FAS, in fact it was the original FAS. Going back around 100 years in DIT. So it’s not a recent development by any means.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                    I know an ex-Clongowes, ex-UCD, ex-PWC fella by the name of Lucian Lorcan FitzPatrick-Lawlor who knows his way around an offshore account if you want his details..
                                                    name not beyond the bounds of possibility

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

No sparks around seemingly. All getting premium pay setting up data centers.

Comment

True story

SPOILER
                                                        His grandson just relocated to our office in Dublin last month to work with us - He was based in one of our Spanish offices prior to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                          On the topic of houses and in an effort to make RD3s renovations easier

Top selling houses in Dublin 2020: https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...24751?mode=amp
                                                          €3.65 million for a terrace house. Nice.

Comment

Would nearly be worth it for the Pfizer /Biontech vaccine to be a dud /have awful side effects to shame the dim cunts trying to claim Brexits let them get ahead of other countries on roll out.

The United Kingdom is getting a coronavirus vaccine first because it is a “much better country” than France, Belgium and the United States, a British cabinet minister has declared.

Gavin Williamson, the education secretary, praised the work done by the medical regulator to approve the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine for use.

Mr Williamson said the United Kingdom’s status as the first country to approve a vaccine is due to its superior experts.

“I just reckon we’ve got the very best people in this country and we’ve obviously got the best medical regulator, much better than the French have, much better than the Belgians have, much better than the Americans have,” he told LBC Radio.

“That doesn’t surprise me at because we’re a much better country than every single one of th
                                                            em.”

Last edited by Guest; 03-12-20, 14:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Isn't at least one of them an mRNA vaccine? They should be safer/less risk. Don't even have to put a weakened strain of the virus into somebody and after a few weeks there should be no trace of the vaccine itself in your body, developing an immunity to the virus without ever coming into contact with it. Science.
                                                              Apparently the mRNA is relatively new and they were working on it incorporating it into other vaccines before this came along.

This shows which company is doing what without getting too much into the weeds:

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Oh man. Its depressing isnt it.

Place is riddled. My missus is positive, shes out the other end but was in the horrors over the weekend. Got tested Sat and only got her results today...
                                                                Very grim, and there doesn't seem to be enough people pissed with how they're handling it. Now telling everyone to expect a different Christmas. Good to hear the missus is over the worst, fingers crossed for no long term side effects.

Comment

After months of lock down, parents break as the reality their 30 something year old children will now be working from home indefinitely sinks in, hands over housing deposit for their own sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

True story

SPOILER
                                                                    His grandson just relocated to our office in Dublin last month to work with us - He was based in one of our Spanish offices prior to that.

another true story.

SPOILER
                                                                    one of our very good Irish friends in Dublin worked as his nanny for a number of years when she was a student

Comment

Night terrors . Yes I got them a lot. Turns out it was the mind thinking it was a conduit of evil spirits who jump on you , paralyze you, and then shout ominous but idle threats into your frozen ears. I knew it was just a figment so I concentrated on the toe trying to move just that (like the bride in Kill Bill) . So every time it happened after that I ignore the evil soul swallowing demons as I was too busy working the toe. It rarely happens now so obviously my mind has rationalised it’s an actual physical thing and now the evil spectres don’t appear any more too often and when they do I just think ‘ok she devil, let’s dance’ (more movie references) . In short ‘Night terrors’ are now ‘night instances of gradual toe movements’ coupled with macho mind games with myself.

Ok She devil, let’s go.

Comment

Why did Stalin only write in lowercase?

SPOILER
                                                                        He was afraid of Capitalism.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                          Why did Stalin only write in lowercase?

SPOILER
                                                                          He was afraid of Capitalism.
                                                                          “What? You’re leaving me because I’m too cocky? Don’t let the door hit you on the way back in”.

Comment

This is hilarious, GG poker has hired noted con man Dan Bilzerian as a brand rep:

The signing will be celebrated on December 7 to mark Bilzerian’s 40th birthday with a $100,000 freeroll.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

another true story.

SPOILER
                                                                              one of our very good Irish friends in Dublin worked as his nanny for a number of years when she was a student
                                                                              Brilliant! It really is a ridiculously small world we live in

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
                                                                                The good old conservative party here in Alberta have really fucked the province when dealing with Covid

During the Pandemic they have (and there's more than just this)
                                                                                - refused to implement a province wide mask mandate (luckily the Cities implemented one anyway)
                                                                                - refused to listen to top health care officials advice
                                                                                - cut funding to health care
                                                                                - refused to take the federal governments $300m hazard pay for front line workers (because Trudeau bad man)
                                                                                - contact tracing has been a disaster
                                                                                - refused to implement more restrictions or lockdown until it was too late (some small one where brought in last week).

We hit nearly 1700 cases today (pop of 4.4m), we're top of the pile on active cases while having the fourth highest population. The government are now asking for the Red Cross and the Federal government to help provide field hospitals because the hospitals are over run but bars and restaurants are still open

And the sad part is they'll be at worst a coin flip to be re-elected.

Is that number of cases for all of Alberta?

Info I got from the sister in law (who lives in Edmonton) via Mrs Lao Lao was that number was just for Edmonton. I was trying to say that it couldn't be that high for just Edmonton but Mrs Lao Lao was adamant is was

I will rejoice in being right if proven so

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                  This is hilarious, GG poker has hired noted con man Dan Bilzerian as a brand rep:

The signing will be celebrated on December 7 to mark Bilzerian’s 40th birthday with a $100,000 freeroll.

I’ve heard things in the past about his persona but not privy to much of it.

On GG though I was chatting to a couple of people-some IPB- recently and I think GG have really done well to position themselves among the top few sites from a position of relative obscurity in only a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

€3.65 million for a terrace house. Nice.
                                                                                    If you like that, I can hook you up with an end of terrace for less than 10% of that. Guaranteed to be warmer too

Comment

Fancied a couple of red ales so went into Carry Out in Tyrrelstown. Picked up a couple, one of them Brehon brewery.

Spotted Brehon mini kegs so asked the guy did they do it in the red ale. Maybe might buy one at Xmas I'm thinking. Off he goes and comes back with one.

So I said to him that I'd go home and taste it and decide. He grabs a bottle off the shelf, pops it open and thrusts it to me, all in the space of about four seconds.

'here, taste it, see what you think'

I still have no intention of buying the keg. So I taste it and tell him it's nice, but I'm not in the market for it tonight.

Cue a bit of awkwardness where he's standing there with this opened bottle of beer and a face that says 'I wouldn't have fucking done that had I known'

I offered to take that one and put the other one back, but he was sound enough to give it to me for free.

It's nice. I'll buy the keg off the fucker.

Great selection in there btw, and the staff really do know their beers.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Is that number of cases for all of Alberta?

Info I got from the sister in law (who lives in Edmonton) via Mrs Lao Lao was that number was just for Edmonton. I was trying to say that it couldn't be that high for just Edmonton but Mrs Lao Lao was adamant is was

I will rejoice in being right if proven so
                                                                                        Yep, it was the daily rate for Alberta yesterday. Rejoice in the rightness!

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                          Can anyone recommend a good independent financial adviser please- location unimportant these days surel

im leaving money on the table re pensions, work share schemes etc and need some advice from somebody who isn’t on commission from spivs
                                                                                          Try this website out.

I couldn’t recommend anyone as I think you’d be a pain in the ass of a client and I wouldn’t wish you on anyone.

Funnily enough I had some guy contact me from this website yesterday looking to diversify his portfolio. I politely declined. If it was you I take back the politeness.

‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post

After months of lock down, parents break as the reality their 30 something year old children will now be working from home indefinitely sinks in, hands over housing deposit for their own sanity.
                                                                                            FML

Planning permission agreed will still be 18 months before I'm rid of them
                                                                                            Last edited by Strewelpeter; 03-12-20, 21:25.
                                                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Try this website out.

I couldn’t recommend anyone as I think you’d be a pain in the ass of a client and I wouldn’t wish you on anyone.

Funnily enough I had some guy contact me from this website yesterday looking to diversify his portfolio. I politely declined. If it was you I take back the politeness.

Ooof, Jesus actually feel bad my rugby fan cyber bullying campaign has had this affect, you seem like one of the decent ones, kind of forget that some rugby fans are real people.

Have ruled out 1 person from the link already, who thinks a selfie photo on holiday is a good professional pic?
                                                                                              Last edited by Guest; 03-12-20, 21:34.

Comment

GTFO you're plenty old enough to remember him in his prime. Selective amnesia pretending to be younger than you are
                                                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

GTFO you're plenty old enough to remember him in his prime. Selective amnesia pretending to be younger than you are
                                                                                                  That's why I embarrassed/ surprised about it. Like I think of Michael Foot as somebody I might have met. May be a weird kind of west-brit thing.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post

Ooof, Jesus actually feel bad my rugby fan cyber bullying campaign has had this affect, you seem like one of the decent ones, kind of forget that some rugby fans are real people.

Have ruled out 1 person from the link already, who thinks a selfie photo on holiday is a good professional pic?
                                                                                                    I thought he was joking or maybe you are now joking or maybe not. Who knows? Up the Dubs .

Comment

Try this website out.

Haha Ollie, that's the diggiest of digs. I lol'd, even though I love PSV

Comment

Haha Ollie, that's the diggiest of digs. I lol'd, even though I love PSV
                                                                                                        Perhaps a little further by taking him as a client and investing in entirely Amazon.

Comment

Haha, Amazon and Heino

Comment

I clicked on the Google link with Christmas lights around it and went to the first link about December global festivities. It describes various global and local festivities around this time of year and this about Ireland under Boxing Day:

The Irish refer to the holiday as St. Stephen’s Day, and they have their own tradition called hunting the wren, in which boys fasten a fake wren to a pole and parade it through town.
                                                                                                            I never heard of this. 220px-St._Stephens_Day_%2826_December%29_in_Dingle%2C_Co_Kerry.jpg

Comment

Haha, Amazon and Heino
                                                                                                              Actually bought a four pack of heino the other day for old times sake, it was grand, might do it again, sometimes you don’t want your head blasted off you by hops

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                                I clicked on the Google link with Christmas lights around it and went to the first link about December global festivities. It describes various global and local festivities around this time of year and this about Ireland under Boxing Day:

I never heard of this. 220px-St._Stephens_Day_%2826_December%29_in_Dingle%2C_Co_Kerry.jpg
                                                                                                                Used to be a big thing especially down the sticks when I was a kid. Groups of musical children I was never one used go round the pubs playing some music few tunes and the drunken mobs would shower then with monies. It kind of died with mostly travelled kids Fallon to the house saying the wren the wren the king of all birds half mumbled then a hand comes out looking for a few bob.

Comment

The wren The wren, the King of the birds?

Doesn't ring any bells ?
                                                                                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

You might like this..

Comment

Still a fairly big deal in Dingle, with a wren parade every Stephen's Day. We used to call em the Biddys where I lived as a kid and they'd come into the pub we owned. Mostly it was a collection for some charity or some local cause. Not as common nowadays, except in Dingle afaik.

Comment

I think they do it in Cahersiveen as well but Dingle is definitely the biggest alright. I've never gone back there for it but it's meant to be a good day out.

Comment

Have it in Sandymount every year.
                                                                                                                          Seems to be an excuse for beardy beer bellied types to churn out sing along trad' stuff.
                                                                                                                          Harmless enough.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X