This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Create a minimum fee per stream that must be paid to the artist. Then the networks can compete on user experience rather than who can pay artists the least.
    Does the number of streams/listens on Spotify each month have no bearing at the moment on what your paid now? To the artist? Like does having 1000 streams today or 1m streams make a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
      btw The forum is almost unusable again. Pages and posts taking forever to load and submitting posts hangs forever at times.
      I was otherwise engaged the weeked and have done a small big of fiddling now.
      Should be a little more manageable now.
      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Light blue as well seems to be a better performing mobile style (though if that's down to other changes I dunno), at least it is for me
        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

it's a pretty complex system to be honest. found this interesting.

https://soundcharts.com/blog/music-s...payouts-system
          Yeah, that does a good job of detailing the core issues.

I stopped buying music when digital started, CD's and Records are of no use to me any more and are unlikely to be. I try to funnel money through bandcamp, live gigs etc.
          I want streaming services to be something that works for both me and the artists but I just don't see how that is going to happen.

In the days when the average punter paid 10 a month for a CD c. 1.50 went into the artists pocket and it didn't matter if the CD played on loop or if sat in a drawer and was never listened to. Now the base unit is engagement; actual minutes listened. The gap between the two models is going to hard to fix.

Another thing that should be considered is the revenue stream to artists from radio airplay and how that equates to the money coming from DSP's
          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Imo the below would be a start in the healing process .

As part of Spotify’s monthly subscription there should be an option to pay 2 EUROS (for example) to be distributed to the artists you have listened to in that month and the money goes direct to them .
            That's a tip jar, I'm paying 15 and a tenner of that is already going to the artists, if there needs to be more going to them then charge me more.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

A girl I train with has a store in Waterford city that only stocks Irish made products: https://www.bebhinn.ie/

She has some really nice merino knitwear, fantastic quality stuff. I bought the wife(sounds weird) some pieces as a wedding gift.

Even if you drop her a message on FB/Instagram she'll get back to you if you have any questions.
              found it,

Comment

Attached Files
                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

So Eoin O'Brion doesn't see anything wrong with what Brian Stanley said only with the way he said it but gets a free pas on that from RTE.

He is at ease with holding a moral equivalence between protecting Slab Murphy's criminal operation by executing dozens of children in cold blood as long as you don't offend anyone in the way you express that.

Noice.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                      So Eoin O'Brion doesn't see anything wrong with what Brian Stanley said only with the way he said it but gets a free pas on that from RTE.

He is at ease with holding a moral equivalence between protecting Slab Murphy's criminal operation by executing dozens of children in cold blood as long as you don't offend anyone in the way you express that.

Noice.
                      Pretty standard of him. Delights in celebrating voting against housing. And then highlights the terrible homeless problem.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

it's a pretty complex system to be honest. found this interesting.

https://soundcharts.com/blog/music-s...payouts-system
                        Yeah it's not a straight forward comparison. The x per steam numbers aren't meaningful. Maybe you could it closer to what each user actually listens to, rather than overall streams. But the top 40 artists and writers are always going to pull the majority of the money. A subscription service would never be sustainable without them. Like these guys: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipg...ed%20in%202018.
                        Last edited by Denny Crane; 30-11-20, 14:31.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Question for GAb or maybe AJ - why do horses wear different colour number clothes in some races (i.e the 2.30 at Kempton) Red/White/Blue/Green etc. Is there something to it or just random for differential visual purposes?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                The very fine cardiac rehab folk in St Vincents have really been stressing to the group of us that all had valve replacements recently that there's nothing particularly wrong with our hearts now, we just need to keep better care of them than you slobs do. The biggest and most fundamental part of that is having 30 mins of training a day where you maintain your heart rate in the cardio zone for those 30 mins. So, I've been cycling as a result. I wait until a half-hour after lunch then jump on the bike and cycle around wherever in the locality, putting a bit of speed into it. It's ridiculously invigorating. Maybe loads of you already do something like that, but man you feel so pumped afterwards. A+
                                You can beat O Broin on housing but you can't beat the bike

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

found it,
                                  Her xmas orders might be closed so that might rule out a cardigan because they're custom but if it's a hat/scarf, I can ask her if she has them in the shop.

You're safe though Hitch, I have a spare one of those, one size fits all, drop me a PM with your address and I'll post it up.

Comment

They were indeed but stuck an order in for Jan instead.

If they get it out early than all well and good but if not it will be a nice surprise in January when we go back into lockdown.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                      The very fine cardiac rehab folk in St Vincents have really been stressing to the group of us that all had valve replacements recently that there's nothing particularly wrong with our hearts now, we just need to keep better care of them than you slobs do. The biggest and most fundamental part of that is having 30 mins of training a day where you maintain your heart rate in the cardio zone for those 30 mins. So, I've been cycling as a result. I wait until a half-hour after lunch then jump on the bike and cycle around wherever in the locality, putting a bit of speed into it. It's ridiculously invigorating. Maybe loads of you already do something like that, but man you feel so pumped afterwards. A+
                                      I've been forcing myself to do it in the mornings before I return to, eh, the house for my work day. In abeyance of my normal cyclo-commute.

'tis a good habit to have.
                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                        Question for GAb or maybe AJ - why do horses wear different colour number clothes in some races (i.e the 2.30 at Kempton) Red/White/Blue/Green etc. Is there something to it or just random for differential visual purposes?
                                        It was a standard in American racing at one time, e.g., the horse numbered 1,2,3 would be saddleclothed Red, White, Blue and so on. Another way to help you pick out your horse.
                                        I don't know if it ever got brought into UK racing, would make sense on the gaff tracks I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I've been forcing myself to do it in the mornings before I return to, eh, the house for my work day. In abeyance of my normal cyclo-commute.

'tis a good habit to have.
                                          Gym and golf back this week so hoping to get back into my previous routine.

I've been doing yoga 4 days a week since gyms closed but general activity levels have been poor.

Ill be back to S&C classes 4 days a week with probably 2-3 rounds of golf.

I'm expecting the DOMS this week to be ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

It was a standard in American racing at one time, e.g., the horse numbered 1,2,3 would be saddleclothed Red, White, Blue and so on. Another way to help you pick out your horse.
                                            I don't know if it ever got brought into UK racing, would make sense on the gaff tracks I guess.
                                            Yeah i know it from the American racing but it just seems random in the race i was watching (i.e a few in white, a few in blue etc). Was wondering was it something to do with horses temprament or running style or some other random reason.

Comment

Bitcoin smashing it.
                                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Anyone seen any good monitor deals today?

Doesn't need to be any kind of high end, cheap is good... but not totally shite is better

Looking at 24' max as don't really have space for bigger... mountable would be good as will probably go for two at some point

ta
                                                Last edited by Guest; 30-11-20, 15:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                  Bitcoin smashing it.
                                                  I have around 300 credit with vodafone and will be using coingate to cash it in for crypto, think they give 40% in currency. Whats the best one to buy ? best potential ? ripple ? Obvs clueless.
                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                    Anyone seen any good monitor deals today?

Doesn't need to be any kind of high end, cheap is good... but not totally shite is better

Looking at 24' max as don't really have space for bigger... mountable would be good as will probably go for two at some point

ta
                                                    bought one for my new build last week. my deal is gone, but here are a few decent ones worth checking out if they fit the bill for you

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                      Bitcoin smashing it.
                                                      omfg my coins are now worth what I bought them for!!!
                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

I have around 300 credit with vodafone and will be using coingate to cash it in for crypto, think they give 40% in currency. Whats the best one to buy ? best potential ? ripple ? Obvs clueless.
                                                        No clue really. ETH and XRP possibly undervalued relative to BTC. XRP fork coming up mid Dec. Could be a mini run prior to fork.
                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

A pal of mine with about 400k in various cryptos reckons this one chainlink is quite undervalued FWIW

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

omfg my coins are now worth what I bought them for!!!
                                                            Are you going to sell? I'd say a lot of people have been patiently waiting for this time to come!

Comment

If you're thinking of investing in crypto you should listen to this podcast: https://open.spotify.com/episode/5Us...TNyA-2Hx2s7s_Q

The three people involved are all ex-poker players, so the lingo should be very easy to follow.

TLDR - The ideal portfolio is 95% bitcoin, 4% Etherium, 1% shitcoins

Also note that bitcoin is basically at an all-time high, which historically is not a good time to invest in most things.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                Pulled the trigger on the knife today. Joined his order list.

The only slight issue is my wife thinks it's €150.

150 is a battle that I knew I could win, she'd kill me in my sleep if I told her it was 250.

So I'll transfer him 150 from our account and give my mate €100 cash to transfer the rest.

That's totally normal right

Hope that Linda detective girl isn't still lurking. Don't rat me out.

Totally normal.

Mrs Lao Lao thinks every bottle of wine I buy is EUR22.00

Comment

He just means solvers. I think the likes of Doyle was completely oblivious to the solver world until Daniel started playing this match. On top of that people now have precomputed databases of solves which means they can be stored in the cloud and accessed instantly. It makes studying with a solver much easier as prior to this it took ages to run these sims and really powerful computers. Some players have even been caught cheating in real time recently where they are accessing the solves while playing. Both players in this match have a 360 camera on them when playing that the other can access to make sure they aren't using RTA in-game.

This is probably the best free channel to look at to see the kind of analysis that is being done. The guy who owns this channel is going to be releasing a version of a solver with a real-time database to the public called GTOx soon. There is also an app called DTO poker that you download for android and play some spots for free to see the kind of analysis being done these days.

The games at all levels are most likely invested with RTA these days. All you need to do is run it on a second computer and it is almost impossible to detect. It will give you the perfect bet sizes, frequency of bet etc for all spots, and then after that just don't play perfectly like an idiot and it's going to be very hard for a site to catch people. In an area with so much money involved where no one actually gets punished with jail for fraud it a breeding ground for this stuff.

Edit - btw for anyone interested in poker. I think this is a class video to show stuff that wasn't really been considered back in the day to how the solver finds bluffs
                                                                  I started playing a bit of chess after the Queen's gambit, like everyone. Solvers have completely changed that too. I can play a game, the computer tells me how good every single move I made was, what was a mistake, why, you can run through scenarios non-stop to get better and it really is a great tool for the top level. It can sit there telling me in real time which move it better and a sequence of moves after it to show why. Class tbh.

Comment

This is Sinn Fein.

A vote for these people is a vote for jackbooted Fascism operating in the service of a criminal gang.

En__yjrW8AEsW_s?format=jpg&name=900x900.jpg
                                                                    Hadn't realised at first he was glorifying an IRA action in which they murdered children.

Yuck.

Comment

Hadn't realised at first he was glorifying an IRA action in which they murdered children.

Yuck.
                                                                      I don't think people who say such things care about offending people so not much point dwelling on that.

For me, it's often the sheer stupidity of this type of behaviour that unnerves me.

If a sitting TD doesn't have the wherewithal to realise that his own position may be in jeopardy if he sends that tweet, I just imagine the lack of competency in making real consequential decisions.

Comment

But the problem is this idea that those murderers were freedom fighters is fundamental to what Sinn Fein is. They will not and cannot admit it in public but what they are at, and I do believe there is a plan here, is to invent a revisionist mythology that places the their activities as the IRA as some sort of heroic freedom fighters who won peace.

This is an absolute lie, they were never anything other than a gang of thugs - many of whom were and continue to be deluded into believing believe that they were part of an armed struggle to free NI from perfidious Albion- but the unequivocal truth is that they were being used by a criminal gang who profited from the ethnic cleansing and resisted and destroyed each and every attempt at moving towards peace for thirty awful years until there was no other choice.
                                                                        Last edited by Strewelpeter; 30-11-20, 22:03.

Comment

Yuck.
                                                                          What? Pretty sure that's wrong.
                                                                          You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                          World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

I started playing a bit of chess after the Queen's gambit, like everyone. Solvers have completely changed that too. I can play a game, the computer tells me how good every single move I made was, what was a mistake, why, you can run through scenarios non-stop to get better and it really is a great tool for the top level. It can sit there telling me in real time which move it better and a sequence of moves after it to show why. Class tbh.
                                                                            Bencb (Top online tourney reg) commented recently that he thinks that is what might be happening in poker. If you play with an RTA for 6 months online then that is probably equivalent to playing and studying away from the tables for 3+ years. It gets to the stage that an average player can actually become very, very good in a short amount of time and can then play very well without the RTA. Who is to say the like of Linus didn't play with some assistance for years and then just no longer needed it? You can bet at least some of the top online guys have done it. The only reason the guy who got outed recently was caught is that his roommates he was living with ratted him out.

I have mixed feelings about it all. Half the fun is figuring out the game. Is the end goal to just be the best at remembering solutions? It certainly takes any natural talent that someone has for a game out of the equation but then you can go down a whole hole of what is talent anyway I suppose. That said it's really cool to look at what the solvers are doing and trying to figure out why they are doing what they do. If you are going to play without RTA then it is all about understanding the solver outputs and that is what the best players in poker are working on because it is impossible for the human brain to remember and implement perfect solver strategies. Poker is quite different from chess I suppose as well in that you have plenty of spots that are mixed at frequencies and also the GTO line isn't always maximizing profit depending on the players where deviating and playing exploitive can be higher EV.

Comment

Yuck.
                                                                              I don't think there were children killed in either incident?

Comment

Originally posted by mcnugget View Post

I don't think there were children killed in either incident?
                                                                                The same day as Narrow Water the IRA killed Mountbatten and there were two kids on board. Maybe that's what he's mixing it up with?
                                                                                You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

The same day as Narrow Water the IRA killed Mountbatten and there were two kids on board. Maybe that's what he's mixing it up with?
                                                                                  A number of the soldiers were under 20, but yeah it was coordinated with the planned murder of an innocent child who was with Mountbatten that day.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

What? Pretty sure that's wrong.
                                                                                    Mullaghmore. Same day. Mountbatten. Two children.

'Taught the elite of the British army and the establishment'

Comment

I don't think people who say such things care about offending people so not much point dwelling on that.

For me, it's often the sheer stupidity of this type of behaviour that unnerves me.

If a sitting TD doesn't have the wherewithal to realise that his own position may be in jeopardy if he sends that tweet, I just imagine the lack of competency in making real consequential decisions.
                                                                                      Sure just look at the lack of competence of the NI Executive (all sides, not just SF) in the current covid crisis.
                                                                                      This is what happens when tribalism and an inflated sense of victimhood gets substituted for actual ability. You can't tweet your way out of a crisis.

Comment

I don't think I could have put it as eloquently but I think this every time a politician tweets something stupid. Never amazed that they take that view but the stupidity to not realise it will land them in bother never ceases to amaze
                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

A number of the soldiers were under 20, but yeah it was coordinated with the planned murder of an innocent child who was with Mountbatten that day.
                                                                                          Ah ya I'm hardly defending the fella but that's fairly stretching what he said to make it much worse tbf.
                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Bencb (Top online tourney reg) commented recently that he thinks that is what might be happening in poker. If you play with an RTA for 6 months online then that is probably equivalent to playing and studying away from the tables for 3+ years. It gets to the stage that an average player can actually become very, very good in a short amount of time and can then play very well without the RTA. Who is to say the like of Linus didn't play with some assistance for years and then just no longer needed it? You can bet at least some of the top online guys have done it. The only reason the guy who got outed recently was caught is that his roommates he was living with ratted him out.

I have mixed feelings about it all. Half the fun is figuring out the game. Is the end goal to just be the best at remembering solutions? It certainly takes any natural talent that someone has for a game out of the equation but then you can go down a whole hole of what is talent anyway I suppose. That said it's really cool to look at what the solvers are doing and trying to figure out why they are doing what they do. If you are going to play without RTA then it is all about understanding the solver outputs and that is what the best players in poker are working on because it is impossible for the human brain to remember and implement perfect solver strategies. Poker is quite different from chess I suppose as well in that you have plenty of spots that are mixed at frequencies and also the GTO line isn't always maximizing profit depending on the players where deviating and playing exploitive can be higher EV.
                                                                                            Moving away from GTO could be good in chess too I imagine, since no human player will ever be able to get near it (computers will always crush everyone), so when you know your opponents weaknesses you can break from it and exploit them. I'm more interested in learning about it than playing it haha.

For poker it will probably die a death at some point since you could just cheat and play gto at all times? Chess sites actually bans people online for being too good, by using these solvers and checking the person is using them since their moves are too perfect. But you could make a program that is better than a human but worse than a bot to avoid detection. An interesting tidbit is that they ran solvers on old chess games and the most accurate player ever was like 100 years ago, Jose Raul Capablanca, making the fewest mistakes. (His still was not that complex but still).

Comment

Reg Spotify discussion earlier.

Comment

People queueing up to get in to Pennys.
                                                                                                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                                  People queueing up to get in to Pennys.
                                                                                                  Underpants Hampers are at crises point around the country .

Comment

A beautiful morning in an ugly year. Hitch will recognise this view.

20201201_082627.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Are you going to sell? I'd say a lot of people have been patiently waiting for this time to come!
                                                                                                      I sold half. I imagine every mug punter like myself is doing the same.
                                                                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

I sold half. I imagine every mug punter like myself is doing the same.
                                                                                                        You don’t go broke taking profits.

Comment

A beautiful morning in an ugly year. Hitch will recognise this view.
                                                                                                          Enjoy it the forecast has it taking a turn for the worse from tomorrow through to after the weekend

Comment

...

Comment

Great photo. It's never easy to capture the sun

Comment

Mary Lou went on RTE this morning and justified the content of Stanley's tweet twice without being picked up on it by RTE.

Can someone please explain to me what was wrong with it if as she said drawing a moral equivalence between British soldiers in NI in 1979 and the Black and Tans "Is neither here or there".

Was it just the slow learners phrase... I'm not being smart assed here I genuinely don't know what he's apologising for if he is standing by that core comparison

Comment

That famine documentary last night was harrowing. To think it wasnt such a long time since millions suffered so much unnecessarily. Young children starving to death under British Rule as they were considered an inconvenience to the British taxpayer . In the meantime the Irish crop fed the English table .
                                                                                                                  It's barely believable when you contemplate what was lost .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                                    That famine documentary last night was harrowing. To think it wasnt such a long time since millions suffered so much unnecessarily. Young children starving to death under British Rule as they were considered an inconvenience to the British taxpayer . In the meantime the Irish crop fed the English table .
                                                                                                                    It's barely believable when you contemplate what was lost .
                                                                                                                    Handy reminder of why certain people should have been driven out of the country after independence

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                                          Moving away from GTO could be good in chess too I imagine, since no human player will ever be able to get near it (computers will always crush everyone), so when you know your opponents weaknesses you can break from it and exploit them. I'm more interested in learning about it than playing it haha.

For poker it will probably die a death at some point since you could just cheat and play gto at all times? Chess sites actually bans people online for being too good, by using these solvers and checking the person is using them since their moves are too perfect. But you could make a program that is better than a human but worse than a bot to avoid detection. An interesting tidbit is that they ran solvers on old chess games and the most accurate player ever was like 100 years ago, Jose Raul Capablanca, making the fewest mistakes. (His still was not that complex but still).
                                                                                                                          The sites claim to be running GTO checks against players playing too well. One of them banned 40 accounts recently claiming they had found these players playing too close to GTO. The lines are really blurry here as you essentially saying players can't play too well. There is also an undercurrent that it gives the site a way to ban winning players and just claim they are using RTA.

Also while it will catch players who rock up to poker hardly having played before and just follow the RTA assistant it won't catch the guys using it cleverly. Someone who is already quite good at the game and just has the assistance running so he is aware of what the correct GTO line is the real danger. He knows enough to vary play enough that he isn't caught. It just means in spots he isn't sure he always can fall back on using something close to the solver and is never making big mistakes. Half the battle in poker is constantly getting negative and positive feedback based on the results of hands while not really knowing if the plays you make are correct. The RTA completely eliminates that doubt.

It is hard to believe High Stakes games are still running online with this stuff out there in the wild especially on these less known apps where there is probably much less security than some of the bigger sites and apparently the action is huge on them.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X