This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

this just dawned on my son (who goes there in September) - the realisation that his halcyon years of spending every day in tracksuit bottoms will soon be at an end and he will be forced into donning jeans...
    Surely Chinos and a sports blazer!?

At least bring him for a fitting somewhere like the Jervis to put the shits up him

Comment

Does anyone have any idea of what kind of money a story like that would generate in clickbait income?

AFAICS the main beneficiary would have been the Carlow Nationalist whose report got a lot of attention.
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post

Surely Chinos and a sports blazer!?

At least bring him for a fitting somewhere like the Jervis to put the shits up him
        Might fall for it if he didn't know loads of kids already there.

Can't even scare him with tales of 'when you get a job, you'll have to wear a suit and tie every day' any more. What has the world come to, probably something to do with Ronnie Drew being dead.

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Would have expected nothing less than a 3 piece suit

Comment

I'd say there's some fun conversations around this.
            A local girls primary school needed to have a note sent home to inform parents that belly tops were not appropriate attire for the Confirmation ceremony in church!

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

did they explain why they weren't appropriate?
                Apparently the male teachers were turned off by how fat all the kids are

Comment

did they explain why they weren't appropriate?
                  Take 2:

Apparently it was unfair to tempt the priest with so much young flesh

Comment

Strewelpeter or anyone else in the game.

Looking to purchase a gift for relatives. They would spend a lot of their spare time in their allotment. Is there some sort of fancy/custom garden tool i could get one of them or another necessity for allotments?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Budget ~€200

Comment

Hitchhiker's Guide To... I suspect you could pass your friend’s CorpFin class on this article alone

If you told me about it was written by him, I’d totally believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                        remarkably her original tweet is still up

Its this type of horseshit that will stop men going into teaching or volunteering to coach underage sports altogether.

Comment

It wouldn't have happened in Japan is all I'm saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

What part of it would necessarily say that it applies to younger students, could be the 17, possibly even 18 year olds, and the policy would have to include banning for everyone.
                            The tenor of the article implied that all students were given this warning about "distracting the male teachers". Split whatever hairs you like, the implication of that is absolutely crystal clear.
                            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

McQueens Small Axe series for the BBC is certainly delivering. 2 in so far and it's well worth the watch. Lovers rock is an absolute joy, and mangrove makes the trial of the Chicago 7 look dull and lifeless.

soundtrack of lovers rock

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                Strewelpeter or anyone else in the game.

Looking to purchase a gift for relatives. They would spend a lot of their spare time in their allotment. Is there some sort of fancy/custom garden tool i could get one of them or another necessity for allotments?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Budget ~€200
                                The problem is that what they really want is something more like a skip full of old scaffolding boards!

I go through an enormous amount of gloves but find the €5 ones you gat a few uses out of better than expensive ones

good tools are usually worth the money but no one wants to replace their favourite tool until they have to.

IMO gift voucher for a good garden center or a seed company like seedaholic.ie is your safest bet.

Comment

Anyone have a good suggestion of outdoor Christmas lights? I’d like to put a bit of effort into it this year but not sure where to start.

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                      Would have expected nothing less than a 3 piece suit
                                      What is your opinion on what is going on in the Vegan forum on Boards?

I just want to raise my deep concerns with the charter on the vegan and vegetarian forum.

Why did you tolerate that absolute fruitcake gozunda posting in V&V for so long? He's now mobilised some of his farming buddies to enforce charter change. They will not rest until the forum is destroyed.

Comment

Originally posted by Silly Gilly View Post

What is your opinion on what is going on in the Vegan forum on Boards?

I just want to raise my deep concerns with the charter on the vegan and vegetarian forum.

Why did you tolerate that absolute fruitcake gozunda posting in V&V for so long? He's now mobilised some of his farming buddies to enforce charter change. They will not rest until the forum is destroyed.
                                        I don't really use it that much any more so we got a new mod on too, the cmods rewrote the charter recently. The farmers got mad at some words in it, it was just changed to mean exactly the same thing, but without singling them out. The forum has more strict rules now and it will be a lot stricter from now on (Gozunda is already banned for a week for breaking the rules).

Comment

FFS! The Globe to go. RiRa's to change to a 'speakeasy' which will no doubt be a pile of wank and the Library Bar to be reduced in size.

All so we can have yet another big fucking hotel.

Complete and utter load of bollix.

Anybody know how you can object planning permission to An Bord Pleanala?

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

FFS! The Globe to go. RiRa's to change to a 'speakeasy' which will no doubt be a pile of wank and the Library Bar to be reduced in size.

You had a hand in my dinner if you want cheering up. Made a prawn risotto inspired by HHE dinners in the VK. Wasn't as great as theirs but it was pretty fucking good.

Cardiac arrest levels of butter and parmesan.

Comment

Comment

NPHET essentially recommending a continuation of level 5 for December? Whatever you believe I think there is no chance we see that happen.

Comment

You had a hand in my dinner if you want cheering up. Made a prawn risotto inspired by HHE dinners in the VK. Wasn't as great as theirs but it was pretty fucking good.

I'd devour one of their prawn risotto's right now. Mrs Lao Lao has a fish pie in the oven so will settle for that.

Comment

I'd devour one of their prawn risotto's right now. Mrs Lao Lao has a fish pie in the oven so will settle for that.
                                                    Congrats to you and the missus .

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                      NPHET essentially recommending a continuation of level 5 for December? Whatever you believe I think there is no chance we see that happen.
                                                      No way pubs should reopen (resteraunts prob not a great idea)
                                                      keeping level 5 would be a farce as will be widely flouted (well more widely flouted than currently) but ffs keep the pubs shut
                                                      love the desperate VFI line their spinning about a pub being a more controlled environment than a home

Comment

Seems nuts to be opening restaurants given the measures currently in place have clearly been improving things. They've already half warned they're willing to accept the spike it will cause and just do another lockdown in Jan

Comment

Fucking barbers better open soon
                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

I made a decent attempt at that a while ago actually. Must make it again. I had it in the lesser "Little Kitchen" during one of the smaller lockdowns. Still had to do the "let's pretend it's a special thing to switch to chorizo even though you do it every time" act.

Comment

Globe was so so for years. Rick's is going too. Merged into the Merc.

Covid was probably the only thing stopping the rest of the city turning into press up.

Comment

Pretty sure that option in most cases is only available to those that objected to the initial application.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                        I would be willing to bet a reasonably large stacked of my ill-gotten gains that the removal of those tweets was directly linked to an absolute scorcher of a solicitor’s letter.

Comment

Also worth remembering that, at its core, this story was basically reporting schoolyard gossip. I know the school didn’t return calls or emails made by the original journalist but I think it’s a salutary lesson that one should not report on rumor alone without regard for more concrete evidence just to be “first”.

Comment

When Black Friday comes
                                                                            I'll stand down by the door
                                                                            And catch the grey men when they
                                                                            Dive from the fourteenth floor

Comment

Not wanting to be left behind on any bbv fad, we forked out 30 whopperoonies on a new set of kitchen knives from lidl. Well we clearly had been living a weird life with the old knives because on my second time cutting myself with the new knives, I shouted these fucking knives are trying to kill me, at which point the wife showed all her new knife scars. We were clearly so used to the old knives having the cutting power of a rounded stone that we're used to playing fast and loose with these instruments of doom.
                                                                              a clean cut is better than a jagged cut though

we have Porsche knives, a set of which I acquired on some airline loyalty programme or other - they're very good, especially this beast of a chef's knife. Obviously treat them with absolute contempt, throw them in the dishwasher and fail to sharpen them from one end of the year to the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                Also worth remembering that, at its core, this story was basically reporting schoolyard gossip. I know the school didn’t return calls or emails made by the original journalist but I think it’s a salutary lesson that one should not report on rumor alone without regard for more concrete evidence just to be “first”.
                                                                                That is obviously the preferred method but in the current era of media, gains/losses are more asymmetric than ever.

First past the post largely trumps journalist rigour.

If her framing of the story proves to be true, her stock increases exponentially.

In the event that it does not which is clearly the case here, she can largely pass the buck all while still increasing her journalistic exposure.

Events like these will do nothing to dissuade journalists/publications from publishing as quickly as possible.
                                                                                With profits intertwined with instantaneous clicks, it's unlikely to change.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                    Thanks for the reminder, just booked appointment. Right next to the 'cancel Amazon Prime' appointment.

It's all going on this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                      Also, you would want to have your head up your arse to have this repeated to you as a journo and somehow think it was some kind of huge scoop.

Comment

Here's your thread for the day.

Reminded me of my late teens working behind the meat counter in Roches Stores at Christmas, was pretty damn stressful alright (and no hint of end of xmas reductions for staff)

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Well it was definitely a huge scoop - it ended up being written about by newspapers all over the world. The problem is simply that it wasn't a true scoop.
                                                                                              I thought the speed at which people were willing to call her out for her shit was quite good.

The ridiculous part of it for me is that had she ran with the school calling girls out of classrooms to address their attire in the manner that they did, she might have got decent traction there.

Instead she swung for the fences with a ridiculous lie and any semblance of a story was completely lost.

Comment

Also, you would want to have your head up your arse to have this repeated to you as a journo and somehow think it was some kind of huge scoop.
                                                                                                It was the perfect storm. No matter what your viewpoint or political glasses, you had something to be outraged about. And the details are murky enough that you can't be proved wrong. Something for everyone.

Comment

Small shout for Cabrabom at 6 in Dundalk. Fancy prices gone though.

Comment

Had to share that. I remember walking into Meath Street to get Easter Eggs for my younger siblings. The mudder played her hand badly and there were none left locally . I was given the job to get anything. I might add this was 5pm on a Saturday so I was glued to my radio to hear the classified scores so I was miffed and hated buses as the smoke made me vomit . Plus Stoke STOKE were leading United and all looked lost.
                                                                                                    Got the Eggs .
                                                                                                    I then had to cart them all home in a huge plastic bag that lost its arse half way up Cork street. I somehow made it home expecting a heros welcome but the cries were not Smarties one etc etc. FFS Ever since then I've vowed to burn down the Victoria ground some day and hoped that smoking would bre banned from buses . To make matters worse those scouse bastards destroyed another team that day. Ahh. Good old days .

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                      I don't think mine's ever been this long, its mostly annoying but I'm also getting attached to it and reluctant to cut it off. Will probably wait until I'm able to go to the swimming pool again which won't be until after the vaccine has been rolled out.
                                                                                                      That will leave me holding out for one of the women in my life to follow through on their threat that either the hair goes or I do

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

When Black Friday comes
                                                                                                        I'll stand down by the door
                                                                                                        And catch the grey men when they
                                                                                                        Dive from the fourteenth floor

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

It was the perfect storm. No matter what your viewpoint or political glasses, you had something to be outraged about. And the details are murky enough that you can't be proved wrong. Something for everyone.
                                                                                                          It's nearly as good an outrage-generator as trans toilets

and also as irrelevant

Comment

Clicking on that led me to seeing this

And it and it's responses as if it was some new Irish covid term (including from a cider maker ffs) annoyed me more than it should

McWilliams the business guru!??

Wet/Dry is the most basic way of describing what a pub is and near enough the first question you ask if interviewing for a managers job

"What is the wet/dry split?"

FYI
                                                                                                            100/0 Hole in the wall... They might have nuts

70/30 Foodie...food should be decent, don't go for quiet pint or to watch match

Anything more is rare but you have definitely drifted into "jasas that's a lot for a burger" territory

Will this be his new breakfast roll book boloxoligy?

F.U. Hitch and yer feel good shite

​​​​​

Comment

in defence of McWilliams, he does seem to be the front man for the wonderful Dalkey Book Festival. Which always provides a solid excuse for a DART excursion to have a meal and many drinks in Dalkey. Literature optional.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Prince was a huge fan. Can you guess which lyric Prince used in 1999 inspired by Deacon Blues .

Comment

in defence of McWilliams, he does seem to be the front man for the wonderful Dalkey Book Festival. Which always provides a solid excuse for a DART excursion to have a meal and many drinks in Dalkey. Literature optional.
                                                                                                                  +1

Also, Kilkenomics is his brainchild too. I was booked to go this year but obv cancelled.

Across both of them, they have managed to pull together some great guests.

Comment

@ RD3

dis u?

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Prince was a huge fan. Can you guess which lyric Prince used in 1999 inspired by Deacon Blues .
                                                                                                                      "And yer a real gone kid, and maybe now baby, maybe now baby"?

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                                                                                        @ RD3

dis u?

some distant relation imo

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X