Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Set up Revolut a/c there , took 3 attempts at verifying.
    Very easy in the end.
    Bought some tester Ripple too.

Cheers Elbows and HH!

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Yes you can. I just bought 100 ripples on there just now as a proof of concept. Two, three clicks, no bother.
      already talked about - fees aren't good at all compared to the coinbase/bitstamp of this world. You seem to be a trader rather than investor so good for a bit of easy punting. the Alt coins will do well given the bitcoin run, but IMO are all way more exposed to the challenging questions re Bitcoin (any coin algorithm is easy to spin up, store of value better than currency use cases) . BTC the winner. For investors.

Comment

Noticed recently that Aldi have started selling vitamin d. They come in 12.5 µg tablets, though at 99c for 105 tablets you could double, triple up or go mad!

4088600123837_0.jpg
        Person...Woman...Man......Camera..TV

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
          Wonder what the Trump Reelection Worry Index would have looked like among IPBers?
          Speaking of which, Trump appears to have finally given up on the bullshit and instructed his administration to begin the official transition process.

Would still love to hear a concession speech.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Although the Betfair market remains open. Just the €1.06bn traded now.

Comment

Yesterdays Bill Burr was one of the rare ones with video

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                Braved the Covid to get an x-ray in Tallaght Hospital today. Though I've always wanted to err on the side of caution, I think we may have over egged it.
                Got the results of that x-ray yesterday. No kidney stones found. They must have taken a really good look at it over the three months.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Got the results of that x-ray yesterday. No kidney stones found. They must have taken a really good look at it over the three months.
                  I've heard descriptions of 'passing' kidney stones. Sounds like torture so WP.

Comment

Notice handed in, 2 week transition ahead before a handy December.
                    A week off between jobs and a couple of weeks off when the new office closes for Xmas.

Hoping for golf courses to open for visitors from Dec 1st to round off a solid month.

Comment

ffs. wish I'd bought more than a hundred ripples (€50!) seeing as they seem to have risen 25% since last night.
                      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

ffs. wish I'd bought more than a hundred ripples (€50!) seeing as they seem to have risen 25% since last night.
                        Woke up to €40 profit
                        Had breakfast...€5 profit

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                          Notice handed in, 2 week transition ahead before a handy December.
                          A week off between jobs and a couple of weeks off when the new office closes for Xmas.

Hoping for golf courses to open for visitors from Dec 1st to round off a solid month.
                          Nice one Murdrum - same kinda gig or something new?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

he's going to be a big ripple man.

Comment

making waves

Comment

Probably more similar to my previous role than my current role but different sector than both.

I finally have NBA in my title though which is the most important.
                                Unfortunately it's not proceeded by "Player" but it's as close as I'm going to get.

Comment

there are 2 additional episodes of The Nobody Zone, first one available this morning, then the second one will be next week. New evidence came to light after the initial series.

https://www.rte.ie/eile/podcasts/202...e-nobody-zone/

Comment

Proving the old stock market adage of buy when everything is rising, I'm making baaaaaannnnnnkkkkk on my AIB shares that I bought with the Biden winnings.

Comment

I see all the male teachers in Carlow are perverts now, Father.

Comment

I feel that these chaps may have stolen the intellectual property of the HHE somewhat with their site name.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak View Post
                                          I see all the male teachers in Carlow are perverts now, Father.
                                          Hopefully the male PE teacher in question, who someone has decided is being distracted by scantily clad teens, can take a moment out of trying to keep his marriage together to speculate on just how much cash he is going to be able to claim from the school in his lawsuit. A decent house worth, I'd imagine. wtf.

Comment

Hopefully the male PE teacher in question, who someone has decided is being distracted by scantily clad teens, can take a moment out of trying to keep his marriage together to speculate on just how much cash he is going to be able to claim from the school in his lawsuit. A decent house worth, I'd imagine. wtf.
                                            Get with the times , it could be a female .

Is there a specific person named? Spunk Found on the staff room windows ? Seems an odd one . In my day the teens wore those little blue tight shorts ooerrr.........I'll be back in a few minutes

Comment

Thought this might be our interest, I think it is so well written.

“What literature tells us about pandemics”

Nothing about numbers or anything, just writers who have used previous events as backdrops for their writings and how the relationships between people evolve.

Im not doing it any justice but worth a read.

In the era of COVID-19, we are learning that scientific diagnosis is harder than we thought. Do we focus on symptoms? Do we use swabs or will a spit sample suffice? How long must we wait for results? How many of these tests are available? And are they actually reliable? And reliable for how long? For the past many months, and doubtless for the foreseeable future as well, all of this seems terribly vexed, yielding little clarity or certainty. This pandemic has been a crash course in uncertainties.

Such questions camouflage the grimmer and more urgent threats now visible. What fuels the anxiety-filled diagnostic project is a pandemic’s core terror: the prospect that you might infect me, and that I might die, or cause someone else to. After all, diagnosis is a sedate analytic procedure, but potential death is something else: it is what fuels, darkens, and exacerbates our dilemma.

And we don’t know where to turn. The media, the politicians, even the doctors, seem at odds with one another, as we ponder the return to work or the opening of schools and businesses or the diabolically hard equation between public health and the economy.

As a literature professor, I can scarcely claim medical or political expertise. But the diagnostic project is far-ranging, and it tests a good bit more than whether you are infected or contagious. We diagnose in order to shed light on what seems murky and needs explaining: one’s symptoms, the Dow Jones index, the meaning of one’s life or career, the behavior of a friend or lover or social group or foreign nation. No swab or bloodwork can deliver news of this stripe. We can tabulate the number of deaths at home or abroad, but we must go further to diagnose the deeper truths now coming to light.

Literature offers a longitudinal picture of pandemics and societies’ responses. Many of the books in the traditional Western canon are cued to these matters: think of Boccaccio’s Decameron, with its account of holed-up, storytelling Florentines during the Black Plague of the fourteenth century, or of Sophocles’s Oedipus the King, which uses a plague as the backdrop to a story that is essentially a rebuke of the human capacity for self-knowledge. In Sophocles’s play, uncertainty rules; Oedipus does not know that an old man he killed was his father or that the woman whose bed he shares is his mother. His city, Thebes, is dying: blight on the crops, dying cattle, stillborn children. His people see him as their doctor-savior. But by the play’s end, Oedipus comes to understand that he is actually the curse, his hidden transgressions the reason for the plague. Of course, every reader or spectator of the play (including the Athenians in the fifth century BC who saw it performed) already knowsthis. But Sophocles is a wily political analyst. Hidden incest and parricide don’t stack up today as scientific explanations for a pandemic, but the play nevertheless asks a deceptively simple question: Who is going to take the blame?

Here is one of literature’s diagnostic payoffs: it shows us that mass death triggers recognizable political responses, including the expedient scapegoating of particular people or groups. Nowhere has this been more on display than in the colloquial names that have been attached to sexually transmitted diseases. Susan Sontag memorably pointed out the ways in which syphilis was “coded” as it swept through Europe in the late fifteenth century: “It was the ‘French pox’ to the English, morbus Germanicus to the Parisians, the Naples sickness to the Florentines, the Chinese disease to the Japanese.” This is the lurid tradition that U.S. President Donald Trump and his allies are carrying forward when they dub the coronavirus that causes COVID-19 “the China virus.”
                                              LOVE AND DEATH

During a viral pandemic, the fundamental human act of connection can kill us. The novel coronavirus relies on such connection; mitigation efforts (social distancing, lockdowns) seek to snuff it out. Writers have long dealt with these matters. In A Journal of the Plague Year (1722), Daniel Defoe describes the manic behavior of Londoners trying to survive a devastating epidemic in 1665, in ways that echo our current struggles: they wear gloves, clean everything with vinegar, and touch no one. Nowhere is Defoe more compelling than in his accounts of quarantine’s horrors: desperate mothers on the lookout for dreaded spots on the flesh they called “tokens,” trying to protect their children but inevitably infecting them instead merely through proximity—familial deaths gruesomely occasioned by love.

Charles Dickens’s masterpiece Bleak House (1853) enlists smallpox as its viral signifier for all intercourse and exchange. Jo, the novel’s child-of-the-slums, dies of it. Esther, who tends to the boy, is disfigured by it. And the reader sees that the entire project of distancing is often a fantasy: the great slum at the core of both London and the novel is a constant source of disease and death. Dickens himself, a tireless promoter of urban hygiene, knew that filth and rot spread and cannot be contained, and his tentacular plots always expose links and connections with political significance: the haughty aristocrats who think themselves safe behind the walls of their mansions find that even for the most powerful people, immunity is a fiction. For even if the body is saved, the mind and the heart cannot be protected.

The most tragic of American writers, William Faulkner, knew a great deal about this. Faulkner’s books take a wrecking ball to pieties about human and social separation. His baroque plots are keyed to two stubborn taboos: incest and miscegenation, acts that involve crossing boundaries meant to keep people apart. Faulkner’s richest novel, Absalom, Absalom!, magisterially probes both. At the core of the novel’s plot is Henry Sutpen’s murder of his friend Charles Bon at the gates of the Sutpen family plantation in 1864. Charles is engaged to Henry’s sister, but readers learn by the book’s end that the two men are, in fact, half brothers—and that Charles is of mixed race. It is hard not to see that Faulkner is writing about the Civil War itself as an act of mass fratricide rooted in a racial taboo.

All of Faulkner’s genius is enlisted in showing that the murder did not have to happen, and that perhaps the war itself did not have to happen. “The overpass to love” is how Faulkner describes the alternative to bloodletting, an overpass that discovers the humanity of the Other. That discovery is not cerebral, not the result of education: it is physical, sensorial, sexual, and rooted in the most basic drives in human life. He writes:
                                              Because there is something in the touch of flesh with flesh which abrogates, cuts sharp and straight across the devious intricate channels of decorous ordering, which enemies as well as lovers know because it makes them both—touch and touch of that which is the citadel of the central I-Am’s private own: not spirit, soul; the liquorish and ungirdled mind is anyone’s to take in any darkened hallway of this earthly tenement. But let flesh touch with flesh, and watch the fall of all the eggshell shibboleth of caste and color too.

Faulkner saw how human touch can shatter taboos: it is the most explosive force in the world, and also the most binding. Paradoxically, pandemics—which restrict touch—nevertheless expose human connection. Fighting viral spread requires the segregation and, in a sense, the incarceration of people. But plague is a curtain lifter. In the United States, COVID-19 has been no different. Nursing homes, first responders, doctors and nurses, grocery deliveries, the mail that comes to our doorsteps, and the food we eat: all broadcast the truths of connection. And it is more than viral. Americans can now see, behind these numbers, that their country’s most underpaid are its most overexposed, that the most ignored are the most likely to die, that the most privileged are at once the least threatened and the most parasitic—and that the country’s institutions are complicit in these disparities. It is surely no coincidence that anger over police brutality against Black Americans exploded—and spread so far and so wide—during a plague year.

In times when words might carry a lethal viral load when spoken at close proximity, it is good to retreat to literature as civilization’s written form of touching. Literature teaches us that we have no immunity against others, nor do we want it. On the contrary, it initiates us, as fellow travelers, into the subjective lives of others, at least for a while. It shines a special light into what Faulkner called “the darkened hallway” of “our earthly tenement.” In this way, it gives us a reading on our affairs that no scientific testing is likely to rival.
                                              Last edited by Murdrum; 24-11-20, 16:19. Reason: Sorry spoiler makes it look terrible

Comment

BTC closing in on all time high.
                                                Ether and Ripple still well off ATH. Both track BTC and would have achieved their ATHs just after BTC did at the end of Dec 2017.

If this bubble is anything like the 2017 one, things are going to go bananas during thanksgiving.
                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                  BTC closing in on all time high.
                                                  Ether and Ripple still well off ATH. Both track BTC and would have achieved their ATHs just after BTC did at the end of Dec 2017.

If this bubble is anything like the 2017 one, things are going to go bananas during thanksgiving.
                                                  Currently an item i sold for bitcoin in a computer game is worth €9k. What a time to be alive. I bought xrp at 88 cent so will sell it off around then too as I think it's meh. The only losing asset in my crypto.

Also just invested again now in this ethical fundraising round for existing shareholders of Kale United. It's only up a few hours and is nearing it's €2,000,000 max fund. If it does go to the general public tomorrow may be worth a punt, my shares have gone up 80% in the last 2 years or so and I can't see the plant based market slowing down. https://www.fundedbyme.com/en/campai...fin_info=True#

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Currently an item i sold for bitcoin in a computer game is worth €9k. What a time to be alive. I bought xrp at 88 cent so will sell it off around then too as I think it's meh. The only losing asset in my crypto.

Also just invested again now in this ethical fundraising round for existing shareholders of Kale United. It's only up a few hours and is nearing it's €2,000,000 max fund. If it does go to the general public tomorrow may be worth a punt, my shares have gone up 80% in the last 2 years or so and I can't see the plant based market slowing down. https://www.fundedbyme.com/en/campai...fin_info=True#
                                                    How does profiteering from the human misery and climate catastrophe directly caused by BTC tally with ethics, it's about as non Vegan as can be
                                                    Last edited by Strewelpeter; 24-11-20, 19:08.
                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

How does profiteering from the human misery and climate catastrophe directly caused by BTC tally with ethics, it's about as non Vegan as can be
                                                      That has to be the stupidest thing I've read in a while

Comment

Yeah. Vegan stuff is largely processed crap thats way worse for the environment than btc. tar is taking a step in the right direction by switching towards crypto.

Comment

Bought some Ripple for shits and giggles. As an an absolute novice in this game, what are the odds on some kinda explosion that'd take it to bitcoin levels? I'm guessing slim to none?

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
                                                            Bought some Ripple for shits and giggles. As an an absolute novice in this game, what are the odds on some kinda explosion that'd take it to bitcoin levels? I'm guessing slim to none?
                                                            Do you mean in terms of Ripple going to $20k? 0% They have vastly different circulating supplies. Ripples market cap is about 10% of BTC currently. So even if it matched BTC the price would be $7

Comment

Return of Quiz Time.

Provide the middle name of the following US Presidents:
                                                              1. Joseph R Biden
                                                              2. Donald J Trump
                                                              3. Barack H Obama
                                                              4. George W Bush
                                                              5. William J Clinton
                                                              6. George HW Bush
                                                              7. Ronald W Reagan
                                                              8. James E Carter
                                                              9. Gerald R Ford
                                                              10. Richard M Nixon
                                                              11. Lyndon B Johnson
                                                              12. John F Kennedy
                                                              13. Dwight D Eisenhower
                                                              14. Harry S Truman
                                                              15. Franklin D Roosevelt
                                                              Par score is 8.

Comment

How come FDR and JFK got the initials treatment and nobody else did?
                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Return of Quiz Time.
                                                                  I know the J in Trumps is for Genius

Comment

How the fuck did Laura get this far. She's an absolute embarrassment to the competition

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                      I thought LBJ was pretty widely used for Lyndon Johnson?

I think I have 3 maybe 4

Comment

Incorrect.

6067_xweb.jpg&maxx=300&maxy=0.jpg

Comment

There's one reverso in the list btw. Bonus point for spotting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Buying fiat currencies with your Bitcoin is a highly speculative investment. They have shown a very high volatility in bitcoin terms. This is due in part to their mysterious creation process. Nobody knows how many more will come into existence. They have no intrinsic value and are involved in the large part of every criminal activity from drug and human trafficking, weapon, wars, you name it.

For its distribution, fiat currencies use heavy and highly discretional commercial banking infrastructures that have been found many times responsible of money laundry schemes and that consume a lot of energy consumption which cause pollution. Their paper and coin form is a danger for the public health, carrying around a lot of pathogenic agents.

Please invest in fiat the amount of satoshis you can afford to lose.

For a little perspective in 2011 you could buy 1 USD only if you paid a whole BTC but today that USD is worth 0.000055 BTC.
                                                                            https://twitter.com/Gabridome/status...12676650897410

Comment

Round Two. Name their spouses.

Bonus points for naming the multiple spouses of the only two to have been married multiple times.

Comment

Arguably the 2nd most famous LBJ now

Mindset_List.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Arguably the 2nd most famous LBJ now

Mindset_List.jpg
                                                                                  I don't know who the other guy is.

Comment

French egg ball wizard Christophe Dominici
                                                                                    died today in tragic circumstances.

Only 5'6 but could change direction in mid step.
                                                                                    Fondly remember him winking at Lomu as he
                                                                                    side stepped past the giant in world cup match.

Comment

LeBron James. NBA great.
                                                                                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

You'll know him next year when you're off to the cinema to see Space Jam 2

Comment

Round 3. Name the US State that each grew up in.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

LeBron James. NBA great.
                                                                                            Never really been into basketball. Did see a game at the Olympics for 10 dollars once.

Comment

Return of Quiz Time.

1. Joseph R Biden
                                                                                              2. Donald J Trump
                                                                                              3. Barack H Obama
                                                                                              4. George W Bush
                                                                                              5. William J Clinton
                                                                                              6. George HW Bush
                                                                                              7. Ronald W Reagan
                                                                                              8. James E Carter
                                                                                              9. Gerald R Ford
                                                                                              10. Richard M Nixon
                                                                                              11. Lyndon B Johnson
                                                                                              12. John F Kennedy
                                                                                              13. Dwight D Eisenhower
                                                                                              14. Harry S Truman
                                                                                              15. Franklin D Roosevelt
                                                                                              Par score is 8.
                                                                                              I actually think I might not know Trump's middle name I have a notion that someone has an even weirder one than FDR, like Excelsior or something golf pro-ish. Have a sneaky suspicion it might be Nixon but dunno what it could be. * for guesses

SPOILER

1. Robert
                                                                                              2. John
                                                                                              3. Husein
                                                                                              4. Walker
                                                                                              5. Jefferson
                                                                                              6. Herbert Walker
                                                                                              7. William
                                                                                              8. Earl
                                                                                              9. Robert
                                                                                              10. Michael
                                                                                              11. Baines
                                                                                              12. Fitzgerald
                                                                                              13. David
                                                                                              14. Stephen
                                                                                              15. Delano
                                                                                              Last edited by Keane; 24-11-20, 22:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

I actually think I might not know Trump's middle name I have a notion that someone has an even weirder one than FDR, like Excelsior or something golf pro-ish. Have a sneaky suspicion it might be Nixon but dunno what it could be. * for guesses

SPOILER
                                                                                                1. Robert
                                                                                                2. John (*)
                                                                                                3. Husein
                                                                                                4. Walker
                                                                                                5. Jefferson
                                                                                                6. Herbert Walker
                                                                                                7. William (*)
                                                                                                8. Earl
                                                                                                9. Robert (*)
                                                                                                10. Michael (*)
                                                                                                11. Baines
                                                                                                12. Fitzgerald
                                                                                                13. David (*)
                                                                                                14. Stephen (*)
                                                                                                15. Delano
                                                                                                You beat par. 10/15.

I got 11 myself, also did not know DJT's middle name.

The reverso is a good one.

Comment

Some sneaky hints:

One of the middle names has a Simpsons character named after him.
                                                                                                  Another one of the middle names has recently had a controversial role in a Hollywood movie.

Comment

Round 3. Name the US State that each grew up in.
                                                                                                    Bonus Round 3a. Name the state capital of each.

For the two states that have more than one Prez, (1) name the state capital of the state that the later Prez has relocated to () and (2) name the nickname of the state.

Comment

Return of Quiz Time.

1. Joseph R Biden
                                                                                                      2. Donald J Trump
                                                                                                      3. Barack H Obama
                                                                                                      4. George W Bush
                                                                                                      5. William J Clinton
                                                                                                      6. George HW Bush
                                                                                                      7. Ronald W Reagan
                                                                                                      8. James E Carter
                                                                                                      9. Gerald R Ford
                                                                                                      10. Richard M Nixon
                                                                                                      11. Lyndon B Johnson
                                                                                                      12. John F Kennedy
                                                                                                      13. Dwight D Eisenhower
                                                                                                      14. Harry S Truman
                                                                                                      15. Franklin D Roosevelt
                                                                                                      Par score is 8.
                                                                                                      Good man RD

SPOILER

1. Joseph Robinette Biden.....Jill..... Delaware (or Scranton PA if you prefer)
                                                                                                      2. Not sure John maybe .... Melania (ex Ivana) .... New York
                                                                                                      3. Hussein .... Michelle.... Hawaii
                                                                                                      4. Walker .... Laura ..... Texas
                                                                                                      5. Jefferson .... Hillary .... Arkansas
                                                                                                      6. Herbert Walker ..... Barbara .... Hmm Massachusetts?
                                                                                                      7. Pass .... Nancy .... California
                                                                                                      8. Pass .... Pass ..... Georgia
                                                                                                      9. Pass .... Pass .....
                                                                                                      10. Milhouse ... Pat ..... California
                                                                                                      11. Baines .... Ladybird ..... Texas
                                                                                                      12. Fitzgerald .... Jackie .... Massachusetts
                                                                                                      13 Pass ..... Pass ..... Kansas
                                                                                                      14. Is this the reverso, I think his middle name was S ..... Pass .... Missouri
                                                                                                      15 Delano .... Pass .... New York

Comment

Will the staff stop Trump if he decides to start a dirty protest in the White House? Still think he should have come out as a trans woman at the start of the year. Really could have mixed things up.

Comment

Originally posted by mcnugget View Post

Good man RD

SPOILER

1. Joseph Robinette Biden.....Jill..... Delaware (or Scranton PA if you prefer)
                                                                                                          2. Not sure John maybe .... Melania (ex Ivana) .... New York
                                                                                                          3. Hussein .... Michelle.... Hawaii
                                                                                                          4. Walker .... Laura ..... Texas
                                                                                                          5. Jefferson .... Hillary .... Arkansas
                                                                                                          6. Herbert Walker ..... Barbara .... Hmm Massachusetts?
                                                                                                          7. Pass .... Nancy .... California
                                                                                                          8. Pass .... Pass ..... Georgia
                                                                                                          9. Pass .... Pass .....
                                                                                                          10. Milhouse ... Pat ..... California
                                                                                                          11. Baines .... Ladybird ..... Texas
                                                                                                          12. Fitzgerald .... Jackie .... Massachusetts
                                                                                                          13 Pass ..... Pass ..... Kansas
                                                                                                          14. Is this the reverso, I think his middle name was S ..... Pass .... Missouri
                                                                                                          15 Delano .... Pass .... New York

Ha, you're good.
                                                                                                          SPOILER
                                                                                                          1. Yes
                                                                                                          2. You missed a spouse. He's had three.
                                                                                                          3. Yes
                                                                                                          4. Yes
                                                                                                          5. Yes
                                                                                                          6. Wrong state
                                                                                                          7. Missed first wife, wrong state.
                                                                                                          8. Yeah, he's a tough one.
                                                                                                          9. Think clinics.
                                                                                                          10. Yes
                                                                                                          11. Yes
                                                                                                          12. Yes
                                                                                                          13. Correct state
                                                                                                          14. Correct! Bonus point for the reverso.
                                                                                                          15. She was allegedly a lesbian if that helps.

Comment

The Simpsons one was the one I was thinking of!

Comment

[*]Think clinics.
                                                                                                              Ah yes

Comment

Ha, you're good.
                                                                                                                Currently 100 pages into LBJ Master of the Senate. Easily my favourite series of all time, fiction or non-fiction. Despite having 2,000 pages left I have started to slow my reading down as I don't want it to finish. Looking for a good Nixon biography before I tackle volume 4, what's the recommendation?

Comment

Trump = TIT

Comment

Currently 100 pages into LBJ Master of the Senate. Easily my favourite series of all time, fiction or non-fiction. Despite having 2,000 pages left I have started to slow my reading down as I don't want it to finish. Looking for a good Nixon biography before I tackle volume 4, what's the recommendation?
                                                                                                                    So I'll give you another mammoth recommendation.

This series of books by Rick Perlstein doesn't have a single man at the centre like the Caro series but they do have the rise of conservatism as their common theme as they move from Goldwater to Nixon to Reagan. I think they're a great follow-on to the LBJ books. They also track the social history of America in much the same way that the LBJ ones too. But ultimately they explain how the Republican Party went from Eisenhower-era centrism to the right\far-right entity we see today.

Before the Storm (covers the rise of Goldwater from fringe figure to 1964 presidential candidate. explains where the forces that spurred the conservative rise came from)
                                                                                                                    Nixonland (covers how Nixon went from washed-up loser to President)
                                                                                                                    The Invisible Bridge (covers the fall of Nixon, the presidency of Ford and the ultimate riumph of a B-List actor who never had a complex thought in his life yet still became the greatest vote-winner of the 20th century)
                                                                                                                    Reaganland. Tells us how the modern conservative movement took over and transformed US politics.

Probably as long in total as the LBJ series (which of course isn't finished yet , 45 years after he started it)

Comment

I read 1 & 2 this year and I'm waiting until the new year to tackle 3.
                                                                                                                      I've checked before and there doesn't seem to be a universally recognised book on Nixon.

All the President's Men by Woodward about Watergate is good and apparently Richard Nixon The Life by John Farrell is a good https://www.amazon.co.uk/Richard-Nix.../dp/0385537352

Comment

Moan 1: Ray Darcy. Quiz of the Day tiebreak yesterday. Guess length of song. Closest to actual length wins. Contestant 1 - 3 min and 6 sec. Contestant 2 - 2 min and 50 seconds. Every time they do it. Every time!!!

Moan 2: Never know what to do with those little stickers they put on apples individually. The urge to stick it onto something else is always greater than the urge to put in in the bin for some reason.

Moan 3: I have a slow puncture.
                                                                                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Ask google 'Can I light a fire on a beach in Ireland'

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X