This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

I like Slayer but only when driving or downstairs in Brusselles best metal album imo is -> Machine Head Deep Purple , I saw them before John Lord died , they were old but fk me it was A GREAT NIGHT . My unruly long hair was stuck to me .
    Coincidentally, Machine Head are another really good metal band if you are that way inclined. "Intense" is the way i describe them.

Comment

Metallica and Slayer aren't really the same genre to me, guess they were a bit more similar earlier. I think if you ask people into metal what the best album is the average person won't have heard of the band they suggest let alone the album, maybe due to the huge subgenre diversity and lack of popular appeal, only old legends are known. Metallica and Slayer have cracking albums though. I remember my home pc hitting 10000 hours of Slayer as a kid.

My first album ever was Sepultura, awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
        Metallica and Slayer aren't really the same genre to me, guess they were a bit more similar earlier. I think if you ask people into metal what the best album is the average person won't have heard of the band they suggest let alone the album, maybe due to the huge subgenre diversity and lack of popular appeal, only old legends are known. Metallica and Slayer have cracking albums though. I remember my home pc hitting 10000 hours of Slayer as a kid.

My first album ever was Sepultura, awesome.
        For sure, i'd class them into different genres too. Metallica, almost hard rock in a way. Slayer certainly thrash metal. That's a very simplistic way of looking of it of course but there is no doubt that Metallica have slipped away from "pure" thrash over the years.

Yeah, the common response from friends when metal comes up is the old "don't they eat heads off bats" thing, Amazing on so many fronts.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Slayer are awesome. Lucky enough to see them 4 times live.
          Master of Puppets IMO the best rounded metal album for me although I know it's probably cliched at this stage. If i was controversially minded i'd actually put "...And Justice for All" very close to it.

Would be interested in seeing the musically inquisitive folk on here giving the aforementioned a bash, if they already have not. May think its tosh but i honestly think it belies it's genre.
          Vulgar display of power, powerslave and master of puppets for me. All nostalgia picks tho.

metal is a weird genre for me, I dont think I have owned a proper metal album written in the last 15 years which is debatable since it was system of the down.

Comment

I presume they were having an off-day for that recording solks. jaysus.
            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
              I presume they were having an off-day for that recording solks. jaysus.
              It was raw and real unlike most of the 80s synth shit . Did ya hang around for the whole vid . Its gets better . Nirvana owe these guys a lot imo.

If they had better vocals a lot of people would have been appeased but nawww I could listen to them for a nice raod trip , I never got buy in on my road trips though lol.
              Last edited by Solksjaer!; 21-11-20, 01:34.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Vulgar display of power, powerslave and master of puppets for me. All nostalgia picks tho.

metal is a weird genre for me, I dont think I have owned a proper metal album written in the last 15 years which is debatable since it was system of the down.
                Ah not debatable at all, SOAD another great band. Released a couple new songs recently for the first time in a long time actually. Dunno what happened them really, some band members don't get along i think. 2 albums in 6 months and nothing for about 15 years if i remember correctly!

Comment

IPB friday night music review . Last week Billy Bragg this week Rock. Next week Funk - step forward Benny

Comment

IPB friday night music review . Last week Billy Bragg this week Rock. Next week Funk - step forward Benny
                    Needs some videos so. The aforementioned Slayer:

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                      I really want Tidal, but only with Benny's expert ear for a tune when listening to the music. Have a feeling the quality would be wasted on many of us.
                      Honestly it won't. Stop listening to your own voice. Just listen. And listen again. You'll hear the difference.Take a moment and listen.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Needs some videos so. The aforementioned Slayer:

Always class. Lombardo remains the greatest drummers of all time basically. Yes Hanneman is dead but Kerry King is the other greatness, inc. Beastie Boy solos. Fuck yeah....

I saw Slayer first in 1988 in the Ulster Hall in Belfast (with Nuclear Assault) when the kids were taking over the establishment.
                        Last edited by BennyHiFi; 21-11-20, 02:01.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

I think metal is great as a nostalgia pick generally - everybody has their fav, and that's fine. 30+ years since you like a particular record and your opinion is still valid I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Assuming you have watched it, how do you feel about his portrayal?

I'm finding this season is far better than than the last. Perhaps an episode ahead of the Fagan one.

Calls for Gillian Anderson to win an Emmy for Thatcher. I dont know much about her mannerisms except a few YouTube videos but it feels almost comedic how she is portrayed.
                            In fairness I've only seen one scene but it was Olivia Coleman being absolutely amazing as usual opposite Gillian Anderson doing a sketch show bit.

It's so jarring when actors forget they are actors and decide to drop their art in favour of doing impressions. It was fucking woeful!

Comment

Poor game of rugby but crazy intensity. All to play for with 5 minutes to go

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                Faithless electors do not count for settlement of the betfair market. I don't get it they have nothing better than Rudi's My Cousin Vinny defence going for them and there are millions lying on the ground waiting to be picked up
                                Hence why I think there's a story there. But what that is I do not know.
                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Cricket game guy has joined us. I always dreamed this day would come.

Comment

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/soci...ties-1.4415042

Comment

Speaking of metal, thought this music vid from gojira was a cracker recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Assuming you have watched it, how do you feel about his portrayal?

I'm finding this season is far better than than the last. Perhaps an episode ahead of the Fagan one.

Calls for Gillian Anderson to win an Emmy for Thatcher. I dont know much about her mannerisms except a few YouTube videos but it feels almost comedic how she is portrayed.
                                        Haven't watched it I'm told there is a whole episode about him, will be interesting to see how they tell the story, might just jump in and watch that episode sometime next week.
                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Uh oh. Not looking good!

Comment

Lineout difficulties are a disaster.

Some finish by May though.

Comment

Even if it wasn't so crap it would be impossible not to get tired of rugby union. It's just constant. It is though, it's crap.

It must be cheap to buy the tv rights for it or something

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                Even if it wasn't so crap it would be impossible not to get tired of rugby union. It's just constant. It is though, it's crap.

It’s a physical battle of a sport and if you don’t enjoy that then it’s dull and no amount of running rugby can cover that up. Taking away the crowd takes away some of the intensity of it too. For me Soccer, football, basketball, hurling are skills sports first and physical battles very much secondary and tbh it doesn’t do it for me nearly as much. But it’s a matter of taste.

A few Irish players realising how much more they have to improve today. Painful but necessary part of their progression I guess. Ronan Kelleher, JGP, Byrne, Porter, the midfield is dull....
                                                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Ireland can't keep running into that white wall and expecting a different outcome.

Comment

FFS!
                                                    Itoje is some player

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

It’s a physical battle of a sport and if you don’t enjoy that then it’s dull and no amount of running rugby can cover that up. Taking away the crowd takes away some of the intensity of it too. For me Soccer, football, basketball, hurling are skills sports first and physical battles very much secondary and tbh it doesn’t do it for me nearly as much. But it’s a matter of taste.

A few Irish players realising how much more they have to improve today. Painful but necessary part of their progression I guess. Ronan Kelleher, JGP, Byrne, Porter, the midfield is dull....
                                                      I dunno I just felt watching the same five games every spring was tedious enough without some bright spark apparently deciding it would be a great buzz to have them in November as well.

It'd be like if the Premier League was on twice a year except it was just Liverpool Man City and four shit teams

Comment

FFS!
                                                        Itoje is some player
                                                        Unreal. England are absolutely killing you physically.

Comment

It's painful for us to watch but even despite the one sided score and that England have been 1.01 since 15 minutes in this is is a really good game. IMO

Comment

It's painful for us to watch but even despite the one sided score and that England have been 1.01 since 15 minutes in this is is a really good game. IMO
                                                            We've got no running threat from 9 or 10. And two bulldozers in midfield.

Need some skill and subtlety in there badly...

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

We've got no running threat from 9 or 10. And two bulldozers in midfield.

Funnily enough it would be 18-9 if we’d taken the easy penalties that were there. Which would have meant the last ten minutes we’d have had something to play for.

Need to reconsider that tactic against the big strong teams.
                                                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Like that!

Why not do that in the first minute? Get their defensive line thinking, turning and maybe slowing up.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Unreal. England are absolutely killing you physically.
                                                                  We won the second half.

And where's the EU solidarity here mon ami?

Comment

What a waste by England. Bringing on a scrumhalf like Robson in a game like this. I question Eddie Jones longer term plan a little. Still wtf do I know.

Comment

Like that!

Why not do that in the first minute? Get their defensive line thinking, turning and maybe slowing up.
                                                                      Ross Byrne was playing 5m further back that’s why. The guy has been given chances and he’s stayed too conservative. His is a career that is going to die wondering imo.

Comment

Like that!

No you need to wait 74 minutes first. Carty who's not in the squad anymore has an array of chips and grubbers which would have been ideal today. Great execution by Burns tbf.

Imagine playing a team and having 1/4 of the opposition tackles but completely dominated. England get the ball wide and kick to the space so fast on each counter. Very impressive defence and line speed.

Comment

We won the second half.

And where's the EU solidarity here mon ami?
                                                                          I was rooting for you, but England were impressive physically. This isn't a very important tourney, but Ireland are looking very tired in a lot of positions. That back row of yours got demolished.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

Ross Byrne was playing 5m further back that’s why. The guy has been given chances and he’s stayed too conservative. His is a career that is going to die wondering imo.
                                                                            Barely saw him do anything creative. A shocker

Comment

Byrne had zero telling impact on the game today unfortunately. Against that linespeed taking that extra step back is a recipe for disaster. He's a smart player, I wonder why he wasn't trying anything a little more subtle with the gaps behind the line.

Burns did it, fair play and it came off too. But I think we need to put the ball into no-man's land a lot more, and earlier vs England and quick-line-speed defences more often. Only way to slow that down is to make them second guess.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Barely saw him do anything creative. A shocker
                                                                                I was in Croke park the day Johnny Sexton came on to replace Contemponi and just took the ball and his body language screamed we’re going to do it my way now. And he had that famous pop at ROG. You just can’t imagine Ross Byrne ever doing that.

We need a Carbery miracle or 1 or 2 from Harry Byrne, Billy Burns or Frawley to step up.

In terms of backrow I think Rhys Ruddock and a fit Dan Leavy would have made a big difference today. I wasn’t convinced about the POM selection even though he was decent in the first half and did offer an important bit of leadership support for James Ryan (who played very well).

Im not nearly as despondent as I was in March leaving Twickenham. We need a new loose head, time for a few hookers to step up, Ryan Baird to get a shot and to back youth in the backrow. 9/10 is an issue but we have decent centres to come back and new young talent in the back three which is exciting.

I don’t think Ireland win the 6Ns in 2021 but you can see some green shoots...in a way if feels like some proper world cup planning if I’m honest. I’d love to hear how Lloyd sees it.

Comment

Can't see Carberry ever playing again for a prolonged period. Sadly, he's just too slight for the pro game.

Comment

Can't see Carberry ever playing again for a prolonged period. Sadly, he's just too slight for the pro game.
                                                                                    As a fair weather follower of the game, I always thought he was rather slight at that level.

I've crossed paths with him in person quite a few times, obviously in great shape but certainly a slimmer build than what I'd expect from an international.

Comment

I dunno I just felt watching the same five games every spring was tedious enough without some bright spark apparently deciding it would be a great buzz to have them in November as well.

It'd be like if the Premier League was on twice a year except it was just Liverpool Man City and four shit teams
                                                                                      COVID put paid to the autumn internationals we were supposed to play Japan Australia and I think South Africa. Rugby players livelihoods are on the line they had to do something get some game time. Personally I think a country of 5 million bearing a country of 50-60 million England or France is a great result. They are great days in Dublin when either team is over a day out I miss. Kerry having to beat what’s been a poor cork team for years to win Munster can hardly get you wet or hard ?Change of Durant now with the super 8 s but Gaelic football is an abortion of a sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post

COVID put paid to the autumn internationals we were supposed to play Japan Australia and I think South Africa. Rugby players livelihoods are on the line they had to do something get some game time. Personally I think a country of 5 million bearing a country of 50-60 million England or France is a great result. They are great days in Dublin when either team is over a day out I miss. Kerry having to beat what’s been a poor cork team for years to win Munster can hardly get you wet or hard ?Change of Durant now with the super 8 s but Gaelic football is an abortion of a sport.
                                                                                        No sure football is nearly as bad as rugby

Comment

Well tonight it's Dr. John (Gris Gris voodoo vibes), Megan Thee Stallion (new album is ace but, bizarrely, there's no physical release) before moving on to some classic Blue Note jazz shortly while just starting Faith No More's biography.

Comment

Funk a week early!?

Fela Kuti: Father of Afrobeat

9.30pm, BBC Two

tonight
                                                                                            PMA

Comment

No sure football is nearly as bad as rugby
                                                                                              Watched the Meath Game there very grim dubs are excellent lots of new young players.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post

Watched the Meath Game there very grim dubs are excellent lots of new young players.
                                                                                                I didn't bother putting it on but they're something else alright.

Comment

War on drugs new live album is something else
                                                                                                  this ones dedicated to the rugger lads
                                                                                                  https://youtu.be/eY13y7vR2yY
                                                                                                  Last edited by PSV58; 21-11-20, 22:43.
                                                                                                  “PSV was right all along” -Hitch 20 May 2019

Comment

So good even an audience cam does it justice..

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

[QUOTE=Lazare;n1681034]So good even an audience cam does it justice..

Did I read somewhere that being really clumsy is a sign of being gifted, handsome and intelligent?
                                                                                                      Hopefully I'm the only one who imagined your wife finding you with a car aerial up your bum.
                                                                                                      Person...Woman...Man......Camera..TV

Comment

[QUOTE=ComradeCollie;n1681035]
                                                                                                        Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                        So good even an audience cam does it justice..

Hopefully I'm the only one who imagined your wife finding you with a car aerial up your bum.
                                                                                                        Dont move Conor , we are getting radio 6 loud and clear .

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                          Big fan of these .

Comment

Haha, so far up it came out me eye

The clumsiness thing is very weird.

I have really good spacial awareness in most situations but at home, particularly in the kitchen, I'm a clumsy fuck. I can't empty a dishwasher without clanging a knife off the floor.

Last weekend our soft closing toilet lid stopped working, as in t stopped closing softly. I noticed this after banging it shut.

I banged it shut another five times.

​After the third time my wife laughed at me for being an idiot. She then spent an hour and a half upstairs getting the baby to sleep.
                                                                                                            She crept down the stairs afterwards, all quiet and we set Netflix up for The Queen's Gambit. 'I'm just goin to the jacks' I said.

BOOOOM

Felt like a fucking idiot.

Then did it again.

​​​​​​
                                                                                                            Last edited by Lazare; 22-11-20, 13:28.

Comment

Big fan of these .
                                                                                                              Check out their two KEXP sessions on YouTube

Comment

Didn't know this existed until las week, wow!

Comment

Didn't know this existed until las week, wow!
                                                                                                                  Yeah.

Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                                    Such a strange band. The first 2 songs on their last album are the best driving songs I've ever heard. The album starts out 10/10 and fades into nothing. So disappointing.

Anyone seen them live? Do they fulfil the promise?

Comment

You should be able to change it in Power and Settings in Win 10
                                                                                                                      Unless its subject to a work policy
                                                                                                                      No, not subject to work policy, it’s a doozy. That setting doesn’t appear anymore in W10!

Comment

Another €30m done.

I feel there must be a story here but not sure what it is.
                                                                                                                        Now gone over the €1bn mark.

It's a bit like lads betting on the winner of yesterday's rugby match today.

Comment

You can still bet on the outcome in Georgia (where the results have been audited and certified). You can also bet on the results in Pennsylvania and Michigan, where Biden has commanding leads and both of which certify their results tomorrow.

Just bizarre really. I don't think it reflects well on PP/Betfair/whatever.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X