This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

and people who live outside of large cities are generally gap-toothed yokels who have sex with farm animals*

*scientifically proven
    They're different alright I could hear a small but boisterous house party, all women, near me at the weekend. But they they broke into acapella renditions of "The Fields of Athenry" and "Lisdoonvarna".
    Last edited by Denny Crane; 07-10-20, 20:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      From reddit - New York (or is it just Manhattan) viewed from the sky.
      That's just Manhattan - For me, the greatest city in the world. I don't think I will ever tire of that sky line. Just looking at that picture has me itching to get back there!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Aren't social connections the biggest predictor of long-term longevity and happiness? Not saying you can't be sociable in the countryside, but it's a hell of a lot easier when you live in a city centre filled with bars, restaurants and other amenities, and there's little to no friction to going out. There's a big difference between walking out the door, versus having to get a 20min+ taxi each way.
        Ah if you live in the country, you just drive everywhere. On the back roads on the way home obvs.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

What podcast is that?
          538 podcast, Daniel Epps is the guest, Washington Uni Law Professor. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ng-legitimacy/

Touches on a few pieces similar to Lord Sumption from Reith lectures on decisions given by Judicial branch that might be better taken by legislative.

You listening to anything decent, you like NPR if I remember?

Comment

RIP Bunny 'Striker' Lee.

Prolific producer, musician and label owner whose deft hands were all over the sound of Jamaica in the 70s and 80s, with a decent claim to 'inventing' reggae.

Here's the unsurpassable 'cherry oh baby' riddim in effect...

Go deep.
            Last edited by BennyHiFi; 07-10-20, 20:42.

Comment

Most pro Jewish Nazi of all time?
              The very worst were the ones who collaborated for money and prestige.
              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Biden now 84% on 538 and 91% with The Economist.

Trump is in a death spiral.
                There is a genuine sense in the air of rats abandoning a sinking ship, all sorts of collaborators and fellow travellers suddenly noticing what a despicable piece of trash he is.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

538 podcast, Daniel Epps is the guest, Washington Uni Law Professor. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ng-legitimacy/

Touches on a few pieces similar to Lord Sumption from Reith lectures on decisions given by Judicial branch that might be better taken by legislative.

You listening to anything decent, you like NPR if I remember?
                  Cool thanks, ill give that a listen. I've heard plenty of stuff about how the Democrats could pack the court etc, but that's probably just wishful thinking.

Podcasts about Crypto/Audio Engineering take up most of my listening time now, which aren't really of much general interest, but the NPR fresh air podcast is great in general, it has a nice mixture of arts and politics, the interviewer Terry Gross is fantastic. The episode on Pence was very interesting, a really good portrait of him rather than the caricature he is normally presented as. https://www.npr.org/2019/09/26/76461...ent-mike-pence

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

There is a genuine sense in the air of rats abandoning a sinking ship, all sorts of collaborators and fellow travellers suddenly noticing what a despicable piece of trash he is.
                    I wonder will we see a Denny road to Damascus moment.

Comment

Fake news fart ?

Comment

Getting caught in the act alone is probably the most embarrassing thing that can happen to you. I thought everyone was in bed out cold BUT I didnt notice her creeping footsteps . The door burst open I fumbled but couldn't hide what I was doing . Extreme mortification.

YOU ARE WATCHING MRS BROWNS BOYS . - OH FKING CRINGE.

Comment

Have the feeling Stephen Donnelly is being measured up for how well he would fit under the wheels of a bus

Comment

I wonder will we see a Denny road to Damascus moment.
                            Saul Goodman

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                              Have the feeling Stephen Donnelly is being measured up for how well he would fit under the wheels of a bus
                              The same thought did cross my mind earlier in the week. He has a certain SpongeBob quality about him.
                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I thought this debate was going better than last weeks, but three times so far the candidate has completely ignored the question and spoken about something else for 2 minutes. The art of debate has been lost.

Comment

I thought this debate was going better than last weeks, but three times so far the candidate has completely ignored the question and spoken about something else for 2 minutes. The art of debate has been lost.
                                  I know you know this but this isnt about debating a point. This is about getting your talking points to a captive audience.

Kamala doing well though.

Pence really has a better way about him than Trump. You can at least respect the man.
                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Main takes from that debate seem to be Pence with a bit of pinkeye, and a fly landing on his head.

Last edited by ComradeCollie; 08-10-20, 06:50.
                                    Person...Woman...Man......Camera..TV

Comment

Pence answered this far better than Trump did

Comment

You say that like the bar was high .

Also I'm sure Trump loves the Jews more than he does black people .

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                          Main takes from that debate seem to be Pence with a bit of pinkeye, and a fly landing on his head.

Best quote.

Black flies matter .

Comment

you cant have flies without Lies . (Poetic licence on the spellinz)
                                            Last edited by Solksjaer!; 08-10-20, 08:18.

Comment

Doesn't seem like they were any gotcha moments there so lets call it a score draw.

The Trump ticket is still miles behind and the driver of the clown car is firing out tweets calling for Obama and Biden to be arrested. Those must be some good drugs his pet doctor has him on.

Comment

Comment

No fact checking there

Simply gainsaying reality is not fact checking.

Comment

Anyone got a good recommendation regarding suit tailoring? Better to buy a few off the shelf and have them tailored or buy them fitted? I figure with WFH there’ll be good deals in suit shops at the moment

Comment

Trump @ 2.94 now. Sure why not.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                        Trump @ 2.94 now. Sure why not.
                                                        You would be mad not to really.

Comment

Don't know how I missed this classic from the 2016 campaign

Person...Woman...Man......Camera..TV

Comment

Anyway, more important matters to hand. My choice for later....

Randolph
                                                            Doherty Egan Duffy Stevens
                                                            Hendrick McCarthy Hourihane
                                                            Connolly McGoldrick McClean

Comment

Don't know how I missed this classic from the 2016 campaign

Needed to put this on to recover

Comment

Randolph
                                                                Are murmurings of a back 3 still met with derision?
                                                                The entire back line is familiar with it.

Is McClean really 1st choice?
                                                                I'd prefer Shane Long there to mirror Connolly on the other side.
                                                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Would you not prefer to get your heartbreak out of the way early by losing on penalties tonight rather than in a game against the North with no crowds to riot at

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Probably more likely Robinson than Long id guess. Back 3 a good possibility probably taking Hourihane out.

Comment

McClean won't play unless there are a number of injuries, pretty sure Kenny doesn't rate him at all. Two of Connolly/O'Dowda/Robinson will be the wingers. If Idah starts there's a possibility that McGoldrick could be #10 and Hendrick benched.

Comment

Probably more likely Robinson than Long id guess. Back 3 a good possibility probably taking Hourihane out.
                                                                        I think Kenny's system will be 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 for the most part. Very unlikely that he'd switch to a different system with a back three for the first time given that it's knockout. Perhaps down the line but not tonight.

Comment

I don't think Trump actually wants to bust this myth. Everyone repeats it so often, and everyone he wants to vote for him knows it is nonsense. Every time they say it, it helps him imo.
                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

No fact checking there

Simply gainsaying reality is not fact checking.
                                                                            lol. Have you never actually looked at the transcript/watched the clip? Explains a lot.

Comment

Try this: Visualise (picture, imagine, whatever you want to call it) a ball on a table. Now imagine someone walks up to the table, and gives the ball a push. What happens to the ball?

Now, answer these questions:

What color was the ball?

What gender was the person that pushed the ball?

What did they look like?

What size is the ball? Like a marble, or a baseball, or a basketball, or something else?

What about the table, what shape was it? What is it made of?

And now the important question: Did you already know, or did you have to choose a color/gender/size, etc. after being asked these questions?
                                                                              Anyone else have a form of Aphantasia? / phantasic

When I was younger I didn't realise how vividly other people are able to visualise things. Kinda just never thought anything of it. Best I can see is as if something was far away on a B&W TV. So for that set of questions above, I only have a very vague idea of a table/bar/person in my head. Dreams are more like ideas than visuals. So while I can lucid dream, it's not particularly exciting. And I never not known when I'm dreaming.

It's a bit like internal monologues, some people have them, some people don't, but people generally assume that everyone else has the same as them.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/blake...56834777480504
                                                                              Last edited by Denny Crane; 08-10-20, 12:29.

Comment

lol. Have you never actually looked at the transcript/watched the clip? Explains a lot.
                                                                                I have and the debunking of it doesn't stand up. There are two sides regarding Charlston and Confederate statues one sides argument is racist and the others isn't... dressing it up as he was only speaking specifically about the statues doesn't wash, its just denial of what is patently clear to anyone who isn't in deep denial of the fact that Trump is an out and out racist.

Comment

...
                                                                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

...

Comment

what goes on in the head of these people that makes them think its okay to write down their bizarre internal monologues and then send it out with the stamp of the US president on it.

He's off his head on drugs and in a full-scale meltdown.

It would be sad if it wasn't so deliciously funny.

Comment

...

Comment

Daughter came home from school with homework that we have to teach her the sign of the cross.
                                                                                          Slippery slopes
                                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

and .... uhuhuh ... the creatures from the swamp appeared and ....uhuhuh .... they didn't want to talk with ME because I AM THE GREATEST.

Grow.the.fuck.up dude, seriously. mother of god, you've just been through a year where you've killed a decent portion of 200,000 people through being so pig-ignorant and you still don't get that its not a game.
                                                                                            he's on dexamaethasone

Dexamethasone can also have concerning side effects, ranging from blood clots, blurred vision, and headaches to “psychic derangements,” such as insomnia, mood swings and “frank psychotic manifestations,” according to the drug label.
                                                                                            Although, given it's Trump, how would you know?

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                              Daughter came home from school with homework that we have to teach her the sign of the cross.
                                                                                              Slippery slopes
                                                                                              Spectacles , testicles , wallet , watch. Isnt that how we are all doing it these days .

Comment

he's on dexamaethasone

Although, given it's Trump, how would you know?
                                                                                                He said hes a great specimen and very young which is why he beat covid so easily. . This is LSD territory.

Comment

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Randolph
                                                                                                    McClean shouldn't be on the pitch

Randolph

Doherty Duffy Egan Stevens

McCarthy

Hourihane Hendrick

Robinson McGoldrick Connolly

Byrne to score off the bench

Comment

I have and the debunking of it doesn't stand up. There are two sides regarding Charlston and Confederate statues one sides argument is racist and the others isn't... dressing it up as he was only speaking specifically about the statues doesn't wash, its just denial of what is patently clear to anyone who isn't in deep denial of the fact that Trump is an out and out racist.
                                                                                                      But but but he’s a racist...” doesn’t actually prove the claim though. It’s possible for him to be a racist, and also for that statement to be misrepresented.

Originally posted by Transcript
                                                                                                      Trump: "Excuse me, excuse me. They didn’t put themselves -- and you had some very bad people in that group, but you also had people that were very fine people, on both sides. You had people in that group. Excuse me, excuse me. I saw the same pictures as you did. You had people in that group that were there to protest the taking down of, to them, a very, very important statue and the renaming of a park from Robert E. Lee to another name."

Reporter: "George Washington and Robert E. Lee are not the same."

Trump: "George Washington was a slave owner. Was George Washington a slave owner? So will George Washington now lose his status? Are we going to take down -- excuse me, are we going to take down statues to George Washington? How about Thomas Jefferson? What do you think of Thomas Jefferson? You like him?"

Reporter: "I do love Thomas Jefferson."

Trump: "Okay, good. Are we going to take down the statue? Because he was a major slave owner. Now, are we going to take down his statue?

"So you know what, it’s fine. You’re changing history. You’re changing culture. And you had people -- and I’m not talking about the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists -- because they should be condemned totally. But you had many people in that group other than neo-Nazis and white nationalists. Okay? And the press has treated them absolutely unfairly.

"Now, in the other group also, you had some fine people. But you also had troublemakers, and you see them come with the black outfits and with the helmets, and with the baseball bats. You had a lot of bad people in the other group."
                                                                                                      Could he gave phrased it better? Absolutely.
                                                                                                      But he does make it clear he was referencing the people who were there to protest peacefully. And he literally condemned neo-nazis.
                                                                                                      Which, as Pence pointed out, Harris omitted. Which part of Pence’s “factcheck” are you saying doesn’t reflect the transcript above?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                        But but but he’s a racist...” doesn’t actually prove the claim though. It’s possible for him to be a racist, and also for that statement to be misrepresented.

Could he gave phrased it better? Absolutely.
                                                                                                        But he does make it clear he was referencing the people who were there to protest peacefully. And he literally condemned neo-nazis.
                                                                                                        Which, as Pence pointed out, Harris omitted. Which part of Pence’s “factcheck” are you saying doesn’t reflect the transcript above?
                                                                                                        Good post

Comment

Anyone else have a form of Aphantasia? / phantasic

When I was younger I didn't realise how vividly other people are able to visualise things. Kinda just never thought anything of it. Best I can see is as if something was far away on a B&W TV. So for that set of questions above, I only have a very vague idea of a table/bar/person in my head. Dreams are more like ideas than visuals. So while I can lucid dream, it's not particularly exciting. And I never not known when I'm dreaming.

It's a bit like internal monologues, some people have them, some people don't, but people generally assume that everyone else has the same as them.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/blake...56834777480504
                                                                                                          I tend to fill in a lot of those details automatically.
                                                                                                          Red snooker ball, round wooden table, in a dark bar with low ceiling, room is empty. A woman walks up can’t see her face. Ball falls off and bounces 3 times. I can hear the bouncing noise on a concrete.

that was genuinely the first pass imagery. If I think back now after reading your full post, There’s lots of other details added. The black and white idea is just completely alien to me.
                                                                                                          Last edited by Mellor; 08-10-20, 14:25.

Comment

Red snooker ball, round wooden table, in a dark bar with low ceiling, room is empty. A woman walks up can’t see her face. Ball falls off and bounces 3 times. I can hear the bouncing noise on a concrete.

that was genuinely the first pass imagery. If I think back now after reading your full post, There’s lots of other details added. The black and white idea is just completely alien to me.
                                                                                                            Jeez that's gas, I'd be much more on the other side of it - just a fuzzy notion of a nondescript ball falling off a nondescript table, like something seen out of the corner of my eye on a black and white TV as described. Had to make up answers to all the questions. That's very interesting.

Comment

I think neo nazi should be condemned. Does this mean I condemn them ? phrasing is important as it can indicate mindset. How hard is it to take self responsibility and simply say I - MYSELF CONDEMN WHITE SUPREMACY. . Its a throwaway unless you do.

'Sure ' Also means fk all.

Comment

that's mad

SPOILER
                                                                                                                you'd never see a woman in a snooker hall

Comment

First confirmed covid case in the eldest's secondary school. Hopefully be as little drama as with the other two's primary.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

I don't think Trump actually wants to bust this myth. Everyone repeats it so often, and everyone he wants to vote for him knows it is nonsense. Every time they say it, it helps him imo.
                                                                                                                      Perhaps he doesn't but perpetuating the myth does nothing more than solidify his position with a group that is never voting for a Democrat anyway.

It doesn't do anything for him in gaining votes with the undecided voters, which is what he needs. If anything, it's probably fair to say it's a deterrent so hardly a smart move politically.

Comment

...

Comment

...
                                                                                                                          18 Oliver Plunkett Avenue, Monkstown Farm, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin A96PC04, 3 Bed, asking price €425,000, brought to market by Sherry FitzGerald Dun Laoghaire, Residential - 4455752 (rated F)

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X