Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stalin's father must have been a real Fred Trump .
    I think beyond our circle of friends family acquaintances everyone else has to earn your unnecessary approval. If they are cruel and you dont sympathise with their demise , who cares . They don't even know . It's the mootest point in history.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
      Can you please explain to me how me posting unpopular opinions on IPB is somehow virtue signalling? I don't think there is a big silent majority patting me on the back for posting about sexism and racism!.
      Virtue signalling, at least my understanding of it, doesn’t require any silent pat on the back. It can just as much be a popular as an unpopular opinion. It a term that describes moral posturing on social media, that is mainly driven by itself, rather than the actual issue.

You don’t have to convince anyone one that Trump is a horrible prick. That’s not really the point that anyone was disputing. Surely you can see how advocating for a higher standard of moral behaviours is slightly undermined by rejoicing at the suffering/death of another human - even if he’s a colossal prick.

Comment

Can we have a poll

1. Wish him well
        2. Want him to rot in prison
        3. Dont wish him well
        4. Atari Sony Walkman

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

You don’t have to convince anyone one that Trump is a horrible prick. That’s not really the point that anyone was disputing. Surely you can see how advocating for a higher standard of moral behaviours is slightly undermined by rejoicing at the suffering/death of another human - even if he’s a colossal prick.
          Ignoring the stuff about virtue signalling as that whole discussion is a red herring.

I didn't rejoice. I'm not sure where you would get that impression from, and it's going to be hard to have any sort of productive discussion if what I said is going to be so distorted, but that said I addressed the point you are making in my previous post.

"There's actually an interesting debate to be had on this subject, forget about the details of this case. Should a person automatically be entitled to sympathy if they are sick? Can you think of anyone in history you wouldn't extend this to?"

Comment

This harkens back to the death of Thatcher and the trauma of having to pretend not to be glad she was dead.

Comment

Appears to be missing the bit from 12 seconds ago
              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Ignoring the stuff about virtue signalling as that whole discussion is a red herring.
                I didn’t bring up the virus signalling. I think as a term, it has too many negative connotations to be useful. I was pointing out that your counter, wasn’t actually relevant to whether it’s signalling or not.

I didn't rejoice. I'm not sure where you would get that impression from, and it's going to be hard to have any sort of productive discussion if what I said is going to be so distorted, but that said I addressed the point you are making in my previous post.
                I wasn’t trying to single you out personally. You haven’t openly rejoiced, others on here have (and I think they are ok to acknowledge that). You have however criticised other for offering a hope that he gets better for his families sake. That attitude does seem, to me, at odds with many other moral goals we strive for.

"There's actually an interesting debate to be had on this subject, forget about the details of this case. Should a person automatically be entitled to sympathy if they are sick? Can you think of anyone in history you wouldn't extend this to?"
                Well, that is obvious Godwin bait.

But it’s not simply a question of sympathy.
                I don’t have sympathy for him, on this issue at least. His attitude surrounding covid makes it near impossible to sympathise, imo. But a lack of sympathy and doesn’t mean I wish he’ll die. I don’t want to wish anyone dead. I hope that everyone currently infected gets better.

Comment

Trump's doc is due to speak to the press.
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

There is a massive difference between Nicholas Lyndhurst's son and Trump or Stalin, the lives of world leaders who are taking the world in catastrophic directions are up for grabs.

Comment

Medical message is 'he's grand'.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                        Trump's doc is due to speak to the press.
                        !0 people to get the message across. Chris Christie positive.
                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                          I didn’t bring up the virus signalling. I think as a term, it has too many negative connotations to be useful. I was pointing out that your counter, wasn’t actually relevant to whether it’s signalling or not.
                          Well played sir

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

!0 people to get the message across. Chris Christie positive.
                            Doc is being a bit sneaky under questioning.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Doc is being a bit sneaky under questioning.
                                So apparently he's had it for 72 hours, yet went to multiple events Weds\Thurs? And the chief of staff (Meadows) is saying it's 'very concerning' compared to the doc saying 'he's doing great'.

More questions than answers and a power vacuum....

Comment

Oooof.

EjY-ODZXYAIkGCh?format=jpg&name=900x900.jpg

Comment

Just read about Rodney's Nicolas Lyndhurst kid . That's horrific .
                                    what caused it ?

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Leeds are such a great addition to the Premier League.

Comment

In other news, two Irish females released music over the last few days

Ailbhe Reddy's album is fantastic.

But I was pretty disappointed with Denise Chailas mixtape - the production is pretty uneven throughout, some of the vocals sound like they were recorded in a cupboard. https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/m...king-1.4366476

I get that it's a mixtape, but I think the music consistently underperformed compared to her voice.

Comment

613 cases; 10 deaths. Fook.
                                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                              613 cases; 10 deaths. Fook.
                                              8 of those 10 deaths were before last September. Still the 613 is a proper high.

Last edited by ComradeCollie; 03-10-20, 18:58.

Comment

Comment

Sometimes you've got to step back and realise that you're living in truly historic times.

This period in time, this year in particular, will be discussed and studied long into the future.
                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                    Sometimes you've got to step back and realise that you're living in truly historic times.

This period in time, this year in particular, will be discussed and studied long into the future.
                                                    Or we'll be looking back on it as that little bit of calm before the storm

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Or we'll be looking back on it as that little bit of calm before the storm
                                                      Fuck. Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

I woke up at 5 am on Friday and saw Trump had gotten COVID. Of course he has, was my first thought. The plot twists this season are getting predictable.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                          Leeds are such a great addition to the Premier League.
                                                          Something we can agree on

Comment

I woke up at 5 am on Friday and saw Trump had gotten COVID. Of course he has, was my first thought. The plot twists this season are getting predictable.
                                                            Though it happened about 4 months later than I would have expected it. It's typical of Americans, dragging out a season to 22 episodes, when it could have been done in 8.

Comment

My favourite attack ad:

Comment

My favourite attack ad:
                                                                That is clever. Wow.

Comment

Comment

Comment

My ol grandad died in a freak accident whilst working in England when my mother was only 14 leaving behind 8 kids , my own died when I was 9 leaving 8 kids . A few guinness and Luke touches the parts others cant.

Simple sad song. Distraction from the politics

Comment

Interesting article on the maths behind how the virus transmits https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...ndemic/616548/

Comment

Sweet Jesus,,, Trump's address was a pure disaster. What a desperado/saddo... who could possibly vote for him now as a (or indeed THE) leader of the free world?

Let's just let that all sink in.

SPOILER
                                                                          I want to begin by thanking all of the incredible medical professionals, the doctors, the nurses, everybody, at Walter Reed medical center – I think it’s the finest in the world – for the incredible job they’ve been doing. I came here, wasn’t feeling so well, I feel much better now. We’re working hard to get me all the way back. I have to be back, because we still have to make America great again. We’ve done an awfully good job of that, but we still have steps to go and we have to finish that job. And I’ll be back, I think I’ll be back soon, and I look forward to finishing up the campaign the way it was started and the way we’ve been doing and the kind of numbers that we’ve been doing. We’ve been so proud of it. But this was something that happened, and it’s happened to millions of people all over the world, and I’m fighting for them. Not just in the US, I’m fighting for them all over the world. We’re going to beat this coronavirus, or whatever you want to call it, and we’re going to beat it soundly.

So many things have happened. If you look at the therapeutics, which I’m taking right now, some of them, and others are coming out soon that are looking like – frankly, they’re miracles if you want to know the truth. They’re miracles. People criticize me when I say that, but we have things happening that look like they’re miracles coming down from God.

So I just want to tell you that I’m starting to feel good. You don’t know over the next period of a few days, I guess that’s the real test, so we’ll be seeing what happens over those next couple of days. I just want to be so thankful for all of the support I’ve seen, whether it’s on television or reading about it. I most of all appreciate what’s been said by the American people, by almost a bipartisan consensus of the American people. It’s a beautiful thing to see and I very much appreciate it and I won’t forget it. I promise you that.

I also want to thank the leaders of the world for their condolences and their – they know what we’re going through. They know what, as your leader, what I have to go through.

But I had no choice because I just didn’t want to stay in the White House. I was given that alternative. Stay in the White House, lock yourself in, don’t ever leave, don’t even go to the Oval Office, just stay upstairs and enjoy it, don’t see people, don’t talk to people and just be done with it and I can’t do that. I had to be out front and – this is America, this is the United States, this is the greatest country in the world, this is the most powerful country in the world. I can’t be locked up in a room upstairs and totally safe and just say: ‘Hey, whatever happens happens.’ I can’t do that. We have to confront problems. As a leader you have to confront problems. There’s never been a great leader that would have done that.

So that’s where it is. I’m doing well. I want to thank everybody. Our first lady is doing very well. And Melania asked me to say something as to the respect that she has for our country, the love that she has for our country. And we’re both doing well. Melania is really handling it very nicely. As you’ve probably read, she’s slightly younger than me – just a little tiny bit – and therefore, just, we know the disease, we know the situation with age versus younger people. And Melania is handling it statistically like it’s supposed to be handled. And that makes me very happy, and it makes the country very happy. But I’m also doing well and I think we’re going to have a very good result. Again, over the next few days we’re going to probably know for sure. So I just want to thank everybody out there, everybody, all over the world, specifically the United States. The outpouring of love has been incredible. I will never forget. Thank you very much.
                                                                          Last edited by BennyHiFi; 04-10-20, 00:24.

Comment

I really enjoyed this, a throwback to a simpler time 10 Times Oliver Reed got Hammered

https://apodcastonfilm.wordpress.com...-got-hammered/

Comment

Who mentioned the occulus quest 2 on here? Pricing?

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post
                                                                                OPR got one. There is a next gen one coming out that looks impressive that will sell for 350

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post
                                                                                  Yeah, it was me as Strewel says it is 350 and you can preorder on the Oculus store atm. I have the first-gen one.

That price is just silly low for what you get but just be aware that it does now require mandatory integration with your FB account to use it.

Comment

Heard this guy on the radio yesterday amazing story, good luck to him today and for another few years by the looks of it .

Ken Jones from Strabane will run his 40th London Marathon today on local roads around Strabane, He's run every edition of the race since it started in 1981 when he was 47, he's 87 now

another story on him

Comment

Small poke on Persian King Top 4 in Thre Arc at 2s, be nice if Enable could sign off with her third.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                        Small poke on Persian King Top 4 in Thre Arc at 2s, be nice if Enable could sign off with her third.
                                                                                        Backed Sottsarse a couple of weeks back so delighted to see Love out. Haven't backed the Arc winner since Sinndar though.

Comment

Boom!!

Comment

Blind squirrel finds nuts every 20 years.

Comment

16/1...That makes up for Sea of Class 2 years ago.

And Biden is up by 14 points today. Betting markets all still suspended.

Comment

My sister captains the Edinburgh team in University Challenge tomorrow evening for anyone that watches.
                                                                                                Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                                                                  My sister captains the Edinburgh team in University Challenge tomorrow evening for anyone that watches.
                                                                                                  GL GL
                                                                                                  Tell her to have someone filter twitter for her

It's actually ridiculous and more than a little bit sad how much of a highlight of my week UC is

Comment

Last 1500 M of today's Liege Baston Liege race was a bit special

Comment

Anyone here have a Zwift setup? I'm thinking of investing in one.

Comment

Thrilled for Aaron Rai.

Rock bottled it.
                                                                                                        Fleetwood massively bottled it.

But you could see the delight in him, top 100 in the world for him now.
                                                                                                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                          Some man! Thanks for posting, extra motivation to get out today.
                                                                                                          You should check out Cliff Young and Courtney Dauwalter.

Comment

Media really pulling for Trumps condition to nosedive- you can feel the intense want in so many articles
                                                                                                            Not saying that he’s not in bother but there does seem to be a lot of reaching going on-there will be a log of disappointment if it ends up being a mild case

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                              Media really pulling for Trumps condition to nosedive- you can feel the intense want in so many articles
                                                                                                              Not saying that he’s not in bother but there does seem to be a lot of reaching going on-there will be a log of disappointment if it ends up being a mild case
                                                                                                              If he appears out in public by Mon 12th you can shift the probability of it being a tactic right towards 50% and if he's campaigning aggressively with 10 days to go RDIII may use his dockets to light a fire

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Lolerpool seem to have returned after a long break. WTF.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I preordered it straight after you posted. Looks unbeatable quality. Just going to open a once-off Facebook account for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                                        I see we have Level 5 coming up. Wish I hadn't thrown away all that stockpiled loo roll on the move here.
                                                                                                                        Time for a haircut

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                                          Thought his video was good.

If this was a movie, either he dies of covid, or his brush with death is a road to damascus moment and he comes back and wins.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X