Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm, down in Supervalu for the weekly shop tomorrow + fairly sure kids have a plastic cockatoo toy yoke

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
      LC stuff is good. Gets the lesson to kids that things aren't fair, that they'll be subject to variance etc.
      Every year there's a huge amount of variance (what questions come up, the marking scheme etc). This year it's just a different type.
      You think that’s the lesson they’ll learn?

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
        Hmmm, down in Supervalu for the weekly shop tomorrow + fairly sure kids have a plastic cockatoo toy yoke
        Brilliant, get a pic!

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

You think that’s the lesson they’ll learn?
          'don't pay for private schooling kids!' seems to be the main one
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
            LC stuff is good. Gets the lesson to kids that things aren't fair, that they'll be subject to variance etc.
            Every year there's a huge amount of variance (what questions come up, the marking scheme etc). This year it's just a different type.
            Sounds like a monumental fcuk up to be fair. Supposed to take Math, English, Irish and the two next best results into account. Instead took their weakest two other subjects. Thank fook it's not banking or payroll they are calculating.

It was intended that the students’ aggregate class-level Junior Cycle results in Irish, English and Maths would be included in the data used by the national standardisation process, together with their best two other subjects. The error had the effect that the students’ results in Irish, English and Maths were put together with their weakest two other subjects in the standardisation process.

The effect of this error has been that, in some subjects, some candidates received grades that were lower than they should have been and some received grades that were higher.

Polymetrika discovered the error and informed the department. They have since corrected the piece of code.

The Department of Education and Skills found the second error while performing checks related to rectifying the first error. This error was contained in the same section of the code programmed by the department’s external contractor Polymetrika.

The second error, which also related to the way in which candidates’ Junior Cycle results were included in the national standardisation process, was that the results of the Junior Cycle subject Civic, Social and Political Education (CSPE) were included in the data being used by the model.

The Department of Education and Skills’ checks found that the subject’s results had been included in error.

It was incorrect as, according to the design of the calculated grades process, this subject should not have been included in the data used by the model.
            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
              Plenty of 6/4 out there on Trump now and 2.66 on BF. In a market with this much liquidity (€111m traded on Betfair so far) , that's a massive swong from a general evens at the weekend.

How would you like to be the poor campaign manager who had to break the news to Trump that his wonderful debate strategy of roaring abuse didn't play so good?
              Thoughts on replacing your campaign manager a couple months before the election? Since departed manager had some serious issues over the weekend.

Correct. He wasn’t some bastion of logic and calm and stoic belief. He was a human being being bullied and bullshitted. It’s very hard to be assertive when the person you are talking to is able to lie and shout without consequences.

Many may not put much stock in this (and maybe rightly so) but at the end of the debate, Biden’s wife hugged him and Biden walked over and thanked the moderator. Trumps wife didn’t and he looked like he just sucked a lemon.

There is a level of decency about Biden.
              Trump is a terrible debater but he's hard to debate.

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

I found it more interesting that Biden's wife wore a mask whereas Melania didn't. Both playing to the base.
              She had one on at the start of the debate.

"you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

"one line (of code) out of 50,000 lines had a mistake in it."

So most of the application was correct.......yeah. What a wonderful way to evaluate software quality.

Works every time, 70% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post

Thoughts on replacing your campaign manager a couple months before the election? Since departed manager had some serious issues over the weekend.
                  can't see it being pivotal tbh - Parscale did bank a lot of credit for 2016 but Tulsa seems to be where Trump lost faith in him

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                    Trump is a terrible debater but he's hard to debate.
                    that's why you need clearly-agreed ground rules and a moderator who can enforce them

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Its beyond my comprehension how the only story on the debate isn't that the President of the United States of America came out and declared proudly that he is an unapologetic white supremacist.

Mind blowing stuff

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

"one line (of code) out of 50,000 lines had a mistake in it."

So most of the application was correct.......yeah. What a wonderful way to evaluate software quality.

Works every time, 70% of the time.
                            Was that really the line they took?
                            Fuck me, that was the education minister?
                            FF took their time with their monthly scandal, but they snuck it in right at the end.

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Sounds like a fairly obvious bug that should have been picked up by a test case verifying outlier extreme Junior Cert results ie A's in core and fails in all other. But they only paid 150K for the system and you get what you pay for.
                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                  Mushroom foraging course today. An unsettling amount of the pre-talk when we arrived was on which mushrooms would kill you, but we set that aside and marched off through Barnaslingan Forest on this occasion (the mushroom guy rotates between a few places). A nice good humoured bunch and it was really a class way to spend a morning. As it turns out we had been in this exact same forest on Sunday, not realising the mushroom hunt would be here (the organiser plays the names of where the hunt will be very close to his chest until a day beforehand). But on Sunday we were walking around looking at the trees, and this time it was all eyes on the ground. First 20 minutes or so there was nothing, an empty basket, not a single mushroom, but eventually then you get in the zone and can't stop seeing mushrooms everywhere. So many different types. We ended up back at the entrance after two hours of wandering around and all put our unique mushrooms on the table to find out what was edible and for the guy to cook some up so we could sense the different flavours. I think everything remaining on this table was edible.

SPOILER
                                  that looks class - any info shared on psychedelics?

Comment

that's why you need clearly-agreed ground rules and a moderator who can enforce them
                                    Apparently the next debate will have a mute function for when a candidate is breaking the rules.

This is going to end up a landslide. Different from a blowout.

Comment

Comment

(the mushroom guy rotates between a few places).....
                                        (the organiser plays the names of where the hunt will be very close to his chest until a day beforehand).
                                        Sounds like a fun guy
                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

American Murder dropped today on Netflix, Docu style, but done in a very cool way...fascinating story, get your eyes on it !!
                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Mushroom foraging course today. An unsettling amount of the pre-talk when we arrived was on which mushrooms would kill you, but we set that aside and marched off through Barnaslingan Forest
                                            I was walking around Carrickgollogan the week before last and came across a Russian and Ukrainian couple with bags filled with mushrooms.

Was reading in the travel section of the Sunday Times today a trip report from what sounds like a beautiful night time kayaking in West Cork in some bay. It was the celestial show that appealed to me, they had their headlights turned off for better night vision and were reporting looking up at the ISS, rockets, planets, milky way etc. To do that while paddling along in a kayak sounds wonderful to me.

Oh, and bioluminescence.

001504e8-500.jpg
                                            Last edited by hotspur; 30-09-20, 22:11.

Comment

Comment

Curragh absolutely packed with zoomers.

An oul stroll at any point in Sep or Oct and they are everywhere.

Many a Halloween spent high as a kite.
                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

It's bigger than...

Comment

There's a good 538 article about the state of the WH race.

Comment

Some very encouraging replies to this tweet..

Comment

There's a good 538 article about the state of the WH race.

538 fast becoming a must read for both sports & politics.

Disney onto another winner.

I find their discussion thread type articles very good: https://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blo...e-trump-biden/

Comment

Just did a root around the web regarding Polymetrika, the company at the center of the LC grades debacle.

Looks like a one man company run by a Fernando Cartwright.

Cartwright has links to an Irish education consultant called Vincent Greaney.

At a press conference with the minister yesterday, it was confirmed that the “original value” of the contract with the Canadian company was €75,000.

An official from the Department of Education said that “the expenditure to date” is €160,000.
                                                          Starting to look shady as fook. If I was on twitter I'd be tweeting.

Comment

Just did a root around the web regarding Polymetrika, the company at the center of the LC grades debacle.

The fact there is an invalid SSL cert on their site would be enough of a red flag to me to not do business with them
                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Pretty cool name: Fernando Cartwright. Might be a distant relation of the Duke family.

Comment

Send your tweet to Hitch, maybe give the nurses a mention too and let him go to work.

Comment

Comment

I see in non-crazy US news, that the EU has put Borisland on notice.

Comment

Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly to bring amendments to existing legislation

Comment

I'm sure its not just me that reads this headline and imagines mini-skirt wearing hooker pharmacists that you pick up by the road and then they jab you. 'would ya like a jab - best jab in the business bud'
                                                                        miming shooting up and sneezing and flashing fingers to advertise prices

Comment

Comment

Have I ever mentioned to you that TRUMP IS TOAST. He is a lot more toasty than you realise , assuming you don’t think he is toast, which hurts my feelings as I did tell you he was toast, several times in fact.
                                                                            We are now entering the buying of the bread stage. Pretty soon we will be placing it in the toaster and then we will eat like Students on a budget salivating at the thought of our other two slices we put on as these slices taste so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                              Have I ever mentioned to you that TRUMP IS TOAST. He is a lot more toasty than you realise , assuming you don’t think he is toast, which hurts my feelings as I did tell you he was toast, several times in fact.
                                                                              We are now entering the buying of the bread stage. Pretty soon we will be placing it in the toaster and then we will eat like Students on a budget salivating at the thought of our other two slices we put on as these slices taste so good.
                                                                              Is he white supremacist toast? or kind of a seedy toast?

important questions I feel we all should know the answers to

Comment

TIT

TRUMP IS TOAST

Comment

Is he white supremacist toast? or kind of a seedy toast?

important questions I feel we all should know the answers to
                                                                                  Deffo WHITE BREAD

Comment

Pretty cool name: Fernando Cartwright. Might be a distant relation of the Duke family.
                                                                                    Get him to take up golf!

Comment

Just on your bets Raoul and Hitch, is it Biden to win the election or Biden to be the next president?

​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                        Just on your bets Raoul and Hitch, is it Biden to win the election or Biden to be the next president?

​​​​​​
                                                                                        To win the election.

And it's based on 'what the EC votes would be, based on state counts'. So shenanigans like faithless electors don't come into play (not that I think they will anyway as Biden is going to win so big)

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

The fact there is an invalid SSL cert on their site would be enough of a red flag to me to not do business with them
                                                                                          Foley is toast.

Comment

<Never thought I'd write these words about a FF Minister>to be fair to Norma Foley, she was not Minister at the time the company was hired to do the grading. She didn't cause the mess, she inherited it.

Minister for Education who signed off would have been Joe McHugh (FG). And of course the civil servants who won't be held accountable () but should be....

Comment

Seen an interesting question from BBC Radio 6 as to what are your favourite three songs in a row on an album.

Am sure there is a lot of classics but my initial thought was Modest Mouse's 2004 album Good News for People who Love Bad News which has these three tracks in a row

The World At Large
                                                                                              Float On
                                                                                              Ocean Breathes Salty

Comment

Radio 6 is a great radio station.

The question is hard to answer . Was listening to Bring it on in the car every track is great . Then moon safari yesterday. Same . Couldn't pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                  Seen an interesting question from BBC Radio 6 as to what are your favourite three songs in a row on an album.

Am sure there is a lot of classics but my initial thought was Modest Mouse's 2004 album Good News for People who Love Bad News which has these three tracks in a row

The World At Large
                                                                                                  Float On
                                                                                                  Ocean Breathes Salty

Probably a common enough one but it is a good album is

Appetite for Destruction

Welcome to the Jungle
                                                                                                  It's So Easy
                                                                                                  Nighttrain

I heard Velvet Revolver play the latter two in their entirety having started with the opening riff of Welcome to the Jungle

Comment

Biden just cracked 80% probability on fivethirtyeight for the first time and is 88% on The Economist. Betting markets still well out of whack with this (1.63\2.64).

Comment

The World At Large
                                                                                                      Float On
                                                                                                      Ocean Breathes Salty

Great question.

Two different takes here:

Radiohead OK Computer:

Exit Music
                                                                                                      Let Down
                                                                                                      Karma Police

Bright Eyes - I’m wide awake it’s morning

At the bottom of everything
                                                                                                      we are nowhere and it’s now
                                                                                                      old soul song

Comment

Biden just cracked 80% probability on fivethirtyeight for the first time and is 88% on The Economist. Betting markets still well out of whack with this (1.63\2.64).
                                                                                                        I enjoyed this in relation to polling errors, given it seems to be something repeatedly raised;

There is no guarantee such an error would favor Trump. Historically, the direction of polling bias has not been predictable from cycle to cycle; the same polls that underestimated Trump in 2016 tended to underestimate Obama and Democrats in 2012, for instance. If anything, to the extent there are polling errors, they sometimes come in the opposite direction of what the conventional wisdom expects.

Apparently they will have more on it in coming days

Comment

Ah its a bit like that time United were three down at half time at White Hart Lane....

Comment

Ah its a bit like that time United were three down at half time at White Hart Lane....
                                                                                                            was that the infamous grey away kit or was that somewhere else?

Comment

No, that was Southampton. On this occasion they came back to win 5-3.

Comment

No, that was Southampton. On this occasion they came back to win 5-3.
                                                                                                                what price did you take on Trump?

Comment

The World At Large
                                                                                                                  Float On
                                                                                                                  Ocean Breathes Salty
                                                                                                                  It's nice for people to be able to express their opinions but objectively the correct answer is LCD Soundsystem Sound of Silver.

North American Scum
                                                                                                                  Someone Great
                                                                                                                  All My Friends

Comment

Famous grey away kit was against Southampton at the old Dell.

White Hart Lane was against Spurs - I can still remember it, we finished a hockey match and watched the first half in the club house with two mates that I played and lived with at the time, one of which is a Spurs fan. At 3-0 down at half time, we headed for home as we were heading out later. Spurs fan was full of it all the way home but by the time we got there, Utd had won 5-3!

Comment

Great question.

Two different takes here:

Radiohead OK Computer:

Exit Music
                                                                                                                      Let Down
                                                                                                                      Karma Police

Bright Eyes - I’m wide awake it’s morning

At the bottom of everything
                                                                                                                      we are nowhere and it’s now
                                                                                                                      old soul song
                                                                                                                      Longview,
                                                                                                                      Welcome to Paradise,
                                                                                                                      Basket Case
                                                                                                                      from the glorious Greenday album - Dookie

Crazy Love
                                                                                                                      Caravan
                                                                                                                      Into the mystic
                                                                                                                      from Moondance by Van

Hard to argue with Opening 3 from Sgt Peppers too

I could spend a while on this....

Comment

Gorgeous
                                                                                                                        Power
                                                                                                                        All of the Lights

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                                          Radio 6 is a great radio station.

The question is hard to answer . Was listening to Bring it on in the car every track is great . Then moon safari yesterday. Same . Couldn't pick.

Bring It On is a tough one as Get Miles, Whippin' Piccadilly, Tijuana Lady and Get Myself Arrested are all spaced out a bit

Moon Safari is tough as well but easier to pick 3 tunes as

La Femme D'argent
                                                                                                                          Sexy Boy
                                                                                                                          All I Need

I remember years ago convincing this absolute stunning foreign bird that Sexy Boy was actually Sexy Brian and it was named after me as I knew one of the lads in Air. I didn't get the ride. Maybe she wasn't convinced after all

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X