Banner Ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Lockdown City

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    All this WFH lark is a complete and utter load of bollix when the vast majority of kids seem to get driven to school.

    First day back for schools today and the traffic was shite. OK, it was not quite as bad as pre lock down rush hour but it was an extra 15 minutes onto my commute this morning which doesn't seem a lot but that is an additional 50%-60% travel time compared to previous transit times coming into work in the morning.

    I had got used to that extra time in bed which is now gone, gone forever as I'll need to go back to getting up earlier to get ahead of the rush.

    Where do I set up a petition to bring back home schooling permanently?

    Also, screw you Raoul and your smugness

    Comment


      Surely if people are working from home they can at least walk the kids into school.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

      Comment


        HereWeGoAgain.gif

        ​​​​​​
        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

        Comment


          Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
          2 * kids (the primary ones) go back to school today. Both trying to pretend like it's a normal day ("ugh, school").

          A good day.
          Three small ones in our family who were due to go back this week got a call last night that their Aunt who was minding them last week has come down with the covid so they will have to stay at home for another fortnight at least, they are all in bits having been completely hyped up for getting back.
          She had tested negative about a week ago after an outbreak at the hospital she works in but she became sick over the weekend and is a fairly bad way at the moment. She's young and fit so hopefully will be fine.
          Turning millions into thousands

          Comment


            Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
            All this WFH lark is a complete and utter load of bollix when the vast majority of kids seem to get driven to school.

            First day back for schools today and the traffic was shite. OK, it was not quite as bad as pre lock down rush hour but it was an extra 15 minutes onto my commute this morning which doesn't seem a lot but that is an additional 50%-60% travel time compared to previous transit times coming into work in the morning.

            I had got used to that extra time in bed which is now gone, gone forever as I'll need to go back to getting up earlier to get ahead of the rush.

            Where do I set up a petition to bring back home schooling permanently?

            Also, screw you Raoul and your smugness
            If it makes you feel any better, all of mine will be walking\cycling to school this year.

            I guess that makes me more smug though, not less. If that were possible at this moment in time.
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

            Comment


              So now that the great Affairs of State have been dealt with to general satisfaction, I wish to bring our attention to another burning question: are Quality Street chocolates only sold around Christmas time?

              One of our neighbours did a small favour for us so in order to preserve good neighbourly relations (and to protect the possibility of future favours), I went to buy her a box of Quality Street. I happen to know she likes these as we gave her a box at Christmas and she effusively praised them as her favourite chocolate.

              I searched high and low (well, I went to 4 shops) and couldn't see any sign of Quality Street. So I bought Roses instead and presented them to the lady in question. She accepted them gratefully but I felt a certain degree of reserve that told me I had messed up here and that future favours may have diminished in likelihood.

              So, are they a Christmas-only treat or what?
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

              Comment


                Could Mairead McGuinness be an option? Not really sure which of the roles she'd prefer. Already flying high.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                  Could Mairead McGuinness be an option? Not really sure which of the roles she'd prefer. Already flying high.
                  The one I would like to see get it is Richard Bruton. But I suspect he's a non-runner on age grounds.
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                    So now that the great Affairs of State have been dealt with to general satisfaction, I wish to bring our attention to another burning question: are Quality Street chocolates only sold around Christmas time?

                    One of our neighbours did a small favour for us so in order to preserve good neighbourly relations (and to protect the possibility of future favours), I went to buy her a box of Quality Street. I happen to know she likes these as we gave her a box at Christmas and she effusively praised them as her favourite chocolate.

                    I searched high and low (well, I went to 4 shops) and couldn't see any sign of Quality Street. So I bought Roses instead and presented them to the lady in question. She accepted them gratefully but I felt a certain degree of reserve that told me I had messed up here and that future favours may have diminished in likelihood.

                    So, are they a Christmas-only treat or what?

                    I think I've only ever seen them around Christmas time although it would seem an odd business strategy to confine your sales to 2-3 months of the year.

                    I think the more pressing matter should be why you are cohorting with individuals whose favourite chocolates are Quality Street? There should be a legal class action taken by the masses to prevent them using the word 'Quality' in their name as it sends out all the wrong connotations.

                    Keep going down this path and your membership of the HHE will come up for review...

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                      I think I've only ever seen them around Christmas time although it would seem an odd business strategy to confine your sales to 2-3 months of the year.
                      Nestle's own website provides no detail. The mystery deepens.

                      Maybe retailers have entered into a secret pact to only sell them at Christmas?
                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                      Comment


                        They seem to be on sale on Tesco.com but not Tesco.ie. Maybe they are a year round thing in the UK market but only Christmas in Ireland.
                        Hopefully you've introduced her to a much better product anyway, and she'll see the error of her ways.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

                          Nestle's own website provides no detail. The mystery deepens.

                          Maybe retailers have entered into a secret pact to only sell them at Christmas?
                          I have checked with my contact (store manager in Tesco)

                          He says and I quote;

                          "Tubs are 100% seasonal. Thought maybe the cartons are all year round but checked the app and can't find any Tesco to stock them. The tubs are due to arrive in stores from 9th Sept. On offer at €7 a tub"

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

                            I have checked with my contact (store manager in Tesco)

                            He says and I quote;

                            "Tubs are 100% seasonal. Thought maybe the cartons are all year round but checked the app and can't find any Tesco to stock them. The tubs are due to arrive in stores from 9th Sept. On offer at €7 a tub"
                            Mystery solved, ty.

                            'tub' is a bit of a misfortunate name there. Given that's what you will resemble if you eat too many of them.
                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                            Comment


                              Nestle are cunts

                              Don't give them money

                              Buy something else!
                              PMA

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

                                Mystery solved, ty.

                                'tub' is a bit of a misfortunate name there. Given that's what you will resemble if you eat too many of them.
                                I always thought he was very thin

                                ryan-tubridy-031116.jpg
                                Attached Files
                                Person...Woman...Man......Camera..TV

                                Comment


                                  Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

                                  The one I would like to see get it is Richard Bruton. But I suspect he's a non-runner on age grounds.
                                  I see Ursula has adopted a nice balls-in-a-vice (vice?) approach as Irish politics is clearly away with the fairies at the moment by firing top public servants at the instigation of IPB lunatics and has demanded the names of two candidates - a male and a female candidate. Maybe opening the door for Frances Fitzgerald. As a fair few top top candidates won't want their name going forward if it could be rejected.
                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                  Comment


                                    Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                    Nestle are cunts

                                    Don't give them money

                                    Buy something else!
                                    Unilever are the nut best large socially conscious company and its not even close. Well worth sourcing whatever we can from them.
                                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                    Comment


                                      Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

                                      I see Ursula has adopted a nice balls-in-a-vice (vice?) approach as Irish politics is clearly away with the fairies at the moment by firing top public servants at the instigation of IPB lunatics and has demanded the names of two candidates - a male and a female candidate. Maybe opening the door for Frances Fitzgerald. As a fair few top top candidates won't want their name going forward if it could be rejected.
                                      Useful to see which personages we have dispatched to Brussels in the past: on the low side it contains such luminaries as Charlie McCreevy, Maire Geoghan-Quinn and Pee Flynn. Probably the only true heavy hitter we even sent was Peter Sutherland.

                                      Point being we don't really have to send someone of the stature of Leo or Paschal.
                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                      Comment


                                        If anyone is looking for a really good dining experience, Mamo just opened for September reservations. Well worth the trek out to Howth.
                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                        Comment


                                          Anyone got updates on Harry Mcguires sister ?

                                          Comment


                                            Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

                                            Useful to see which personages we have dispatched to Brussels in the past: on the low side it contains such luminaries as Charlie McCreevy, Maire Geoghan-Quinn and Pee Flynn. Probably the only true heavy hitter we even sent was Peter Sutherland.

                                            Point being we don't really have to send someone of the stature of Leo or Paschal.
                                            Ignoring the fatuous remarks you have been making about the trade commissioner having no role in the trade talks with the British and Americans relating to post Brexit arrrangements.

                                            You seem to think that having someone on top of the political game who has a deep and sympathetic understanding of the significant and complex local issues involved for Ireland at the forefront of ongoing trade negotiations is irrelevant and maybe some Hungarian appointed by Orban would do just as well.
                                            Turning millions into thousands

                                            Comment


                                              The only thing is, I can't imagine when Big Phil was sent to Brussels that anyone in Ireland thought he was a top dog. Because he had struggled with an impossible domestic agenda. Yet clearly he turned out to be. That probably explains the deep bitterness towards him, that we'd labelled him a loser and shipped him away, only to find it was us who were mistaken.

                                              ​​​So maybe our criteria for a top dog is wrong. Someone successful in Irish politics (a Pee Flynn for example) might be a candidate to end up as a gimp in Brussels.
                                              Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 27-08-20, 11:48.
                                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                              Comment


                                                Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                The only thing is, I can't imagine when Big Phil was sent to Brussels that anyone in Ireland thought he was a top dog. Because he had struggled with an impossible domestic agenda. Yet clearly he turned out to be. That probably explains the deep bitterness towards him, that we'd labelled him a loser and shipped him away, only to find it was us who were mistaken.

                                                ​​​So maybe our criteria for a top dog is wrong. Someone successful in Irish politics (a Pee Flynn for example) might be a candidate to end up as a gimp in Brussels.
                                                Are you saying we should choose an under-performer on the assumption they will develop into a top dog in EU, based on a sample size of 1?
                                                airport, lol

                                                Comment


                                                  Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

                                                  Are you saying we should choose an under-performer on the assumption they will develop into a top dog in EU, based on a sample size of 1?
                                                  Well as Raoul pointed out, we haven't had much success with who we've consciously sent in the past so a random luck strategy could only be an improvement.
                                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                  Comment


                                                    Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                    If anyone is looking for a really good dining experience, Mamo just opened for September reservations. Well worth the trek out to Howth.
                                                    We were looking for something for September and that will do nicely. Just booked dinner for the 19th. Ty

                                                    Comment


                                                      Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                      So now that the great Affairs of State have been dealt with to general satisfaction, I wish to bring our attention to another burning question: are Quality Street chocolates only sold around Christmas time?

                                                      One of our neighbours did a small favour for us so in order to preserve good neighbourly relations (and to protect the possibility of future favours), I went to buy her a box of Quality Street. I happen to know she likes these as we gave her a box at Christmas and she effusively praised them as her favourite chocolate.

                                                      I searched high and low (well, I went to 4 shops) and couldn't see any sign of Quality Street. So I bought Roses instead and presented them to the lady in question. She accepted them gratefully but I felt a certain degree of reserve that told me I had messed up here and that future favours may have diminished in likelihood.

                                                      So, are they a Christmas-only treat or what?
                                                      I only opened a bag of them yesterday. A customer dropped them into our reception. They're definitely on sale somewhere.

                                                      Your neighbour is correct, QS are the absolute best. The toffee penny should win awards.

                                                      Although, she was probably just being nice.
                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

                                                      Comment


                                                        Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

                                                        Well as Raoul pointed out, we haven't had much success with who we've consciously sent in the past so a random luck strategy could only be an improvement.
                                                        Or it could go worse. I think choosing someone that has shown strength is the v obvious stronger play
                                                        airport, lol

                                                        Comment


                                                          Also, I think a seasonal sales strategy can work really well with some products. Look at the creme egg.

                                                          By the time Easter rolls around I can't really even look at them, but would have spent Jan Feb and March in a creme egg feeding frenzy.

                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

                                                          Comment


                                                            Originally posted by Lazare View Post

                                                            I only opened a bag of them yesterday. A customer dropped them into our reception. They're definitely on sale somewhere.

                                                            Your neighbour is correct, QS are the absolute best. The toffee penny should win awards.

                                                            Although, she was probably just being nice.
                                                            Seems like the type of thing that would be on sale in the Dealz type place. Feel I've seen them in that type of shop before.
                                                            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                            Comment


                                                              Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

                                                              Or it could go worse. I think choosing someone that has shown strength is the v obvious stronger play
                                                              Sure, and its totally on you if you're taking what I'm saying as a serious selection strategy.
                                                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                              Comment


                                                                Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

                                                                Sure, and its totally on you if you're taking what I'm saying as a serious selection strategy.
                                                                haha. Hey its getting tough to separate what is genuine here anymore.
                                                                airport, lol

                                                                Comment




                                                                  Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                  Ignoring the fatuous remarks you have been making about the trade commissioner having no role in the trade talks with the British and Americans relating to post Brexit arrrangements.
                                                                  https://ec.europa.eu/info/department...ted-kingdom_en
                                                                  Note that not even Hogan himself referred to any significant role in Brexit.

                                                                  Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                  You seem to think that having someone on top of the political game who has a deep and sympathetic understanding of the significant and complex local issues involved for Ireland at the forefront of ongoing trade negotiations is irrelevant and maybe some Hungarian appointed by Orban would do just as well.
                                                                  Nope, you just incorrectly inferred these things.

                                                                  Whoever we appoint to drive the policy agenda of the EU (key point; not the policy agenda of Ireland) in whatever Commission role VDL chooses to give them should first and foremost be good at negotiating detail and complex subject areas. Hence why I suggested Bruton who was generally recognised as being on top of all his portfolios in the last two governments.
                                                                  Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 27-08-20, 12:48.
                                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                                                  Comment


                                                                    Luckily for the EU, the Commissioners are only figureheads anyway. The permanent staff are the real experts.
                                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                                                    Comment


                                                                      We're planning to celebrate the end of quarantine which kicks in tomorrow and go somewhere. The kids birthday is Wednesday which will probably be a sparse quaker-ish affair given the move to a new country. Is there anything nice on the Southside we could bring her to tomorrow or Sunday? Nothing fancy, just something to jump around in, build or break things, play something unexpected.

                                                                      We were looking at Rainforest Golf in Dundrum but the dumbasses don't allow reservations presumably on the grounds that they would prefer that everyone get corona queuing up to get in.

                                                                      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                      Comment


                                                                        Bruton would be good alright. Don't he think he has much of a chance getting back in cabinet anytime soon (despite his bizarre late emergence as a sex symbol)

                                                                        Comment


                                                                          Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                          We're planning to celebrate the end of quarantine which kicks in tomorrow and go somewhere. The kids birthday is Wednesday which will probably be a sparse quaker-ish affair given the move to a new country. Is there anything nice on the Southside we could bring her to tomorrow or Sunday? Nothing fancy, just something to jump around in, build or break things, play something unexpected.

                                                                          We were looking at Rainforest Golf in Dundrum but the dumbasses don't allow reservations presumably on the grounds that they would prefer that everyone get corona queuing up to get in.
                                                                          You could try Zip it in Tibradden wood
                                                                          I was jogging by the little bastards a few weeks ago and looks like great crack... all ages

                                                                          Zip line thingy .. safety harness etc

                                                                          Comment


                                                                            Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                            We were looking at Rainforest Golf in Dundrum but the dumbasses don't allow reservations presumably on the grounds that they would prefer that everyone get corona queuing up to get in.
                                                                            Airfield in Dundrum is quite popular. Think you need a dry day for it though. https://www.airfield.ie/
                                                                            Person...Woman...Man......Camera..TV

                                                                            Comment


                                                                              I'm a free man.

                                                                              Comment


                                                                                Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                I'm a free man.
                                                                                Back on the meat?
                                                                                Person...Woman...Man......Camera..TV

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                  Now that's what I call a euphemism

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                    Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

                                                                                    Back on the meat?
                                                                                    I know somebody who will be



                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                      Fr Ted stamps

                                                                                      ?width=630&version=5188304.jpg
                                                                                      Person...Woman...Man......Camera..TV

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                        Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                        they are huge stamps Ted.

                                                                                        Dougal, This stamp is close, that stamp is far away.

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                          Personally I think Fr Ted trumps every other Comedy on TV . It was just so good . Fawlty Towers after that.

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                            Police Squad
                                                                                            .
                                                                                            .
                                                                                            .
                                                                                            Sgt. Bilko
                                                                                            .
                                                                                            .
                                                                                            The rest!
                                                                                             
                                                                                            PMA

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                              Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                              I ordered a few packs of them earlier as chance would have it. Class stamps.
                                                                                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                                Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

                                                                                                I see Ursula has adopted a nice balls-in-a-vice (vice?) approach as Irish politics is clearly away with the fairies at the moment by firing top public servants at the instigation of IPB lunatics and has demanded the names of two candidates - a male and a female candidate. Maybe opening the door for Frances Fitzgerald. As a fair few top top candidates won't want their name going forward if it could be rejected.
                                                                                                Well they've an odds book up on this on PP now. My risky max bet of €22 on Frances to win €330, suggesting its unlikely to be a runner.
                                                                                                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                  Surprised at the betting there. Thought Covney was too young to be put out to pasture. I'm sure Fitzgerald would love the job, but isn't she fairly universally disliked/incapable.

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                    Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

                                                                                                    Well they've an odds book up on this on PP now. My risky max bet of €22 on Frances to win €330, suggesting its unlikely to be a runner.
                                                                                                    Interesting market. Coveney surely wants to be Taoiseach which would rule him out.

                                                                                                    I'll have a few quid on Bruton and Day. The only two I've actually met.
                                                                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                      Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                      Surprised at the betting there. Thought Covney was too young to be put out to pasture. I'm sure Fitzgerald would love the job, but isn't she fairly universally disliked/incapable.
                                                                                                      The thing I read yesterday which was probably ill-informed is that Ursula is demanding a female and male nominee - and there's a very limited pool of potential female nominees. And that Leo was supported a lot by Frances when starting in politics and then she ends up getting fired for something that she was later exonerated for (suggesting the Raoul strategy of lynch first ask questions later has its problems). So there might be a sense of 'owing'. Plus she's obv decent enough if she was Tanaiste. I've no idea though. Like zero.
                                                                                                      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                                        Sending Coveney would require a by-election for which Jerry Buttimer would be the best candidate, but the Raoul mob also fired him. So essentially the seat would be lost and there isn't much leeway to be losing seats on the lee.
                                                                                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                                          Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                          I've no idea though. Like zero.
                                                                                                          You should get this put on your grave.
                                                                                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                                            Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                            Sending Coveney would require a by-election for which Jerry Buttimer would be the best candidate, but the Raoul mob also fired him. So essentially the seat would be lost and there isn't much leeway to be losing seats on the lee.
                                                                                                            We can't nominate someone who doesn't want the job. Coveney wants to be Taoiseach which means he has to stay on the domestic stage.
                                                                                                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                                              Catherine Day knows the EU inside out and is very well regarded in Brussels.

                                                                                                              Against that, she's not a politician.
                                                                                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                                                Clare Daly on TV defending Phil Hogan

                                                                                                                She must have a a few dodgy movements in her location history
                                                                                                                Turning millions into thousands

                                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                                  Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                  Clare Daly on TV defending Phil Hogan

                                                                                                                  She must have a a few dodgy movements in her location history
                                                                                                                  Just waiting for someone to tip up Bertie here.
                                                                                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                                    Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

                                                                                                                    You should get this put on your grave.
                                                                                                                    generate.php?top1=Hitchhiker&top2=He+had+no+idea+though.&top3=Like+Zero&top4=&sp=.jpg
                                                                                                                    Person...Woman...Man......Camera..TV

                                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                                      Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

                                                                                                                      Just waiting for someone to tip up Bertie here.
                                                                                                                      I had him touted today when talking to a former senator who himself was a reg at that golf outing even though he doesn't pay golf
                                                                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

                                                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                                                        omg - like omg! look at the clip of the red panda here.
                                                                                                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                                                          Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                                          omg - like omg! look at the clip of the red panda here.
                                                                                                                          Moar Sino propaganda.
                                                                                                                          Person...Woman...Man......Camera..TV

                                                                                                                          Comment

                                                                                                                          Working...
                                                                                                                          X