X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Des O'...
    So he's a mid-level academic with a famous dad. Big deal.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

So he's a mid-level academic with a famous dad. Big deal.
      Oh no. I wasn't getting at that. Just mentioned that in passing as some of the dry charm has clearly passed on. As I mentioned I was more thinking about his journalism
      I don't think associate prof is really mid level.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

He's clearly not as well known as I thought! Thought he would have been. Of course probably his proudest claim to fame would be teaching Denny everything he knows about politics.

Comment

Oh no. I wasn't getting at that. Just mentioned that in passing as some of the dry charm has clearly passed on. As I mentioned I was more thinking about his journalism
          I don't think associate prof is really mid level.
          Never read an article by him. Although Google does helpfully lead me to that rag that we agreed earlier was a steaming pile of buffalo excrement.

So he's a mid-level academic with a famous father who writes the occasional filler article for a 'newspaper' that is a sorry excuse for soiled toilet paper.

Good to know. We can now never speak of his irrelevancy again.

Comment

He's clearly not as well known as I thought! Thought he would have been. Of course probably his proudest claim to fame would be teaching Denny everything he knows about politics.
            I thought he was someone off of here, as I don't follow many people on twitter. In fairness he's leagues ahead of either yourself or Lucey on the twitterbox.
            Person...Woman...Man......Camera..TV

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I thought he was someone off of here, as I don't follow many people on twitter. In fairness he's leagues ahead of either yourself or Lucey on the twitterbox.
              He is!

Which I think we can all agree is a great compliment.

Comment

Never read an article by him. Although Google does helpfully lead me to that rag that we agreed earlier was a steaming pile of buffalo excrement.

So he's a mid-level academic with a famous father who writes the occasional filler article for a 'newspaper' that is a sorry excuse for soiled toilet paper.

Good to know. We can now never speak of his irrelevancy again.
                Anyway you've brought the conversation down to your level again. Feck it just occurred to me. You're a divil at that. The point is he isn't lying that he was told this in the airport. And strew above says they were told this. You can at least believe strew over the' mid level academic'. People were being told this.

Comment

The Citizens Information Board this evening responded to claims made by Mr Hogan.

A statement said that the webpage referred to by Mr Hogan in his claim that he did not need to restrict his movements for 14 days does not relate to people who travel to Ireland from abroad.

It said: "In this page, we refer to self-isolating and no longer requiring to self-isolate in the context of people who have been tested on the advice of the HSE, and does not apply to people who must restrict their movements for 14 days upon entry to the State."

The statement says that a separate webpage offers advice for people returning to Ireland.

Okay.

If you go on the page here:
                  https://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...r_covid19.html called 'testing for covid', which you would naturally go to, it simply says, with no exclusions, that you don't need to self-isolate if you test negative. How are you expected to know that there's another page that cancels this advice if you happen to have returned from another country?

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Yeah, i started using Google music years ago, uploaded my entire digital collection onto it and then signed up and was able to add to that collection from googles library.

Then I've put some amount of time over the years building up playlists, for example I've a series of playlists focusing on more chilled music, anything outside heavy electronic basically, and I'm on volume 28 with 40 songs a playlist. So yeah I'm kind of committed, rebuilding that on spotify would be a nightmare

Was able to transfer the lot to youtube music, and any song thats not within their collection but is available as a youtube video can also be added to these playlists, so selection is way better now. Always a few things missing from google music/spotify. And even after that you still have the ability to upload anything thats missing.
                    Yeah, I uploaded music to it years ago, but I think I just got stuck using Spotify due to it's alexa/squqeezebox setup. There should be sites for moving your playlists across, but spotify will be missing things.

Comment

Not that it's anything to do with him as a person now, but does illustrate what types of stories he heard growing up - his father is the politics person his surname suggests. But thought he'd be well known for his journalism rather than his publications in European Journal of Political History. Top chap in real life.
                      Yeah, he was great, Raoul would actually get on well with him. I'd say he'd be excellent for going for pints with.

He's in the FT the odd time.

Comment

Okay.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...r_covid19.html called 'testing for covid', which you would naturally go to, it simply says, with no exclusions, that you don't need to self-isolate if you test negative. How are you expected to know that there's another page that cancels this advice if you happen to have returned from another country?
                        Let's not forget he was saying all along he completed his quarantine while convalescing in Kilkenny. I suppose he meant to say he had an operation, got a COVID test and then went to Adare golfing because he didn't need to complete his quarantine.

Can't remember who but someone was definitely making a fuss about how mad it was to think he'd be lying about finishing his quarantine in KK while recovering from an operation.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

They also have this Australian one at the moment for €7.36.
                          I'll have a try of it on Friday. Staff will think I'm flush, suddenly going for a pricier bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                            Test done, all grand apart from the ear tip swabbing my brain for 15 seconds. They seemed to think I was cautious for even going at all.
                            Did you arrange it through your GP or privately?

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                              Did you arrange it through your GP or privately?
                              My GP, rang around 10:30, HSE texted 2 hours later with a time. I was seen in the evening, two others I know were seen in the afternoon.
                              With my GP I just asked for a test, they gave me one, no questions asked. I didn't mentioned anything but I wanted a test.
                              This will vary from person to person ofc.

Comment

Okay.

It says that you don't need to on that site and on the hse as a close contact it says you have to complete the 14 days anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                  It says that you don't need to on that site and on the hse as a close contact it says you have to complete the 14 days anyway.
                                  Yeah. They need the same team overseeing the information on all websites. E.g. to always treat HSE as the gold copy on current health information and alerts get sent to the other websites when changes are made. Think there was something similar about differing advice on Green List travel on Dept Foreign Affairs and on HSE website.

Comment

Thats properly batshiat. Just made all the more evident by the lack of an audience. Noticed that with John Oliver as well. His stuff seemed hilarious, but you take away the laughing audience and its not funny at all.

Can only imagine the conversations between her and her cokehead DonJr boyfriend. Hopefully they all realise the whole thing is a farce and are on-the-inside treating it as such.

Comment

Biden not playing to his hitchhiker base here

https://www.axios.com/biden-campaign...source=twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                        RTE were pushing hard with the 'He was seen in Limerick before finishing self isolation' thing without ever considering that he might have had a test when he was in hosptal.
                                        The point of the two week isolation is due to the incubation time for the virus. A test shouldn't mean anything conclusive.

During the worst period here, arriving passengers were isolated in hotels for 14 days plus testing. Would have been a hell of a lot cheaper to test them, and send them on their way.

Comment

Eoin, in my twitter link above, is fairly unimpeachable and when he moved back from Spain recently he was told the exact same thing by gardai at immigration about no need to quarantine if take a covid test. Which also makes sense.
                                          It actually makes no sense and falls apart at the slightest scrutiny.

The fact that Associate Prof guy publicly, via twitter, got confused about the rules, really undermines his credibility and previous point he made about rules not being confusing. And FWIW, those rules are actually the really straightforward ones, with pretty logical reasons behind them.

Comment

Crazies.png
                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

I used to use google music but switched to Spotify because of the forced switch. Pleasantly surprised.
                                              What did you do with all your playlists?

The 'thumbs up' playlist on Google is my lifeblood, is there a similar feature on Spotify? Assume there would be.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

So now it seems Phil was dining in the K Club on the night that he actually arrived in Ireland. He's toast.

If he hasn't actively lied about his movements, then let's be generous and say he's a fucking idiot. He has to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

It actually makes no sense and falls apart at the slightest scrutiny.

The fact that Associate Prof guy publicly, via twitter, got confused about the rules, really undermines his credibility and previous point he made about rules not being confusing. And FWIW, those rules are actually the really straightforward ones, with pretty logical reasons behind them.

He seems to have joined the pile-on anyway, if belatedly. I'm sure that gets him a few likes on Twatter but doesn't exactly cement his reputation as a serious commentator

Comment

He seems to have joined the pile-on anyway, if belatedly. I'm sure that gets him a few likes on Twatter but doesn't exactly cement his reputation as a serious commentator

Wow did you really read a joke as being a serious comment. Someone really needs to get out of the house and start speaking to people again. Me too, to be fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

The point of the two week isolation is due to the incubation time for the virus. A test shouldn't mean anything conclusive.

During the worst period here, arriving passengers were isolated in hotels for 14 days plus testing. Would have been a hell of a lot cheaper to test them, and send them on their way.
                                                      So then why was one government website saying if you have a close contact with someone with the virus and test negative then you can go on your way. (if you haven't been abroad apartmently. A footnote not actually included on the web page).

Says here under 'test results'. : https://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...r_covid19.html

Comment

Wow did you really read a joke as being a serious comment. Someone really needs to get out of the house and start speaking to people again. Me too, to be fair.
                                                        No, I read it as being "I am really on the wrong side of this argument so I'm going to stop defending Hogan and switch to gags instead". Which is what it is.

I see you're still digging in though so kudos on your commitment to the cause here.

Comment

IPB GOLF OUTING ? Get Ole to do the cooking .

Comment

the kmwine gear just arrived.

One thing that at first glance I thought was weird; I ordered 18 bottles and indeed, 18 bottles I received. However they all arrived in one big box which was awkward to lug onto the kitchen table. Once I opened it though, I found that the wine was actually packed in these kind of yokes:
                                                            images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcT3cZFbEgG2FvZf9jqjWSYtJqDfrZszk0GnVQ&usqp=CAU.jpg

which might actually be really handy for future storage requirements (although bulky). Seems on balance though to be really terrible for the environment to be sending things unnecessarily packaged like this? Why not just send the wine in the usual wine boxes?

Comment

Phil's attitude is demonstrating exactly why he's the right man for the brexit trade negotiations!

RTE will not let up until he's gone the indignation at losing one of their own is overwhelming MaryLou is now allowed a free pass on her far more significant flouting of regulations to wave the pitchfork at Phil. Soothing hurt and anger are apparently more important than having a strong voice at the table for the crucial negotiations that are already in train.

If Ursula has to fire him because of a local political kerfuffle setting a precedent that will make the business of running Europe far more difficult changing the commission to be at the mercy of every local political crisis then we will have burned up decades of political capital.

I understand completely and share the anger at Hogan but cutting off your nose to spite your face is moronic.

Last edited by Strewelpeter; 26-08-20, 09:37.
                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

One thing that at first glance I thought was weird; I ordered 18 bottles and indeed, 18 bottles I received. However they all arrived in one big box which was awkward to lug onto the kitchen table. Once I opened it though, I found that the wine was actually packed in these kind of yokes:
                                                                images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcT3cZFbEgG2FvZf9jqjWSYtJqDfrZszk0GnVQ&usqp=CAU.jpg

which might actually be really handy for future storage requirements (although bulky). Seems on balance though to be really terrible for the environment to be sending things unnecessarily packaged like this? Why not just send the wine in the usual wine boxes?
                                                                Can't see that pic, are they air filled?

Comment

Phil's attitude is demonstrating exactly why he's the right man for the brexit trade negotiations!

RTE will not let up until he's gone the indignation at losing one of their own is overwhelming MaryLou is now allowed a free pass on her far more significant flouting of regulations to wave the pitchfork at Phil. Soothing hurt and anger are apparently more important than having a strong voice at the table for the crucial negotiations that are already in train.

If Ursula has to fire him because of a local political kerfuffle setting a precedent that will make the business of running Europe far more difficult where the commission are at the mercy at the whim of every local political crisis then we will have burned up decades of political capital.

I understand completely and share the anger at Hogan but cutting off your nose to spite your face is moronic.

You can't set him up on pedestal and say 'it's correct for a Minister to resign, and a broadcaster, and a leas-Cathaoirleach - but not an EU trade commissioner'.

It's not a 'local political kerfuffle'; it goes to the very heart of the biggest crisis of all our lifetimes and whether ordinary people can and should believe anything the government says. Per my leadership post yesterday.

Mehole, Leo and Ryan have now made all the right noises (rather incredibly it seems like every party in the Dail is united on what should happen next). Hogan should resign, that will reassert some kind of level of leadership and off we go to school reopening. Which no doubt will get fucked up in some way or other.

Comment

Can't see that pic, are they air filled?
                                                                    Yes, I think they are these yokes

Comment

The youngest is a huge fan of these for breakfast. Some sort of breakfast biscuit that are popular in France. Would anyone have seen something similar in Irish supermarkets (not breakfast bars but biscuits), as we stupidly only brought a single pack.

front_fr.64.full.jpg​​
                                                                      Attached Files

Comment

And a second food request. Butter in shops only seems to be Kerrygold or own brand. Is there no more artisan brands of butter that are commonly available and that you've tried and found good? Barrel rolled (I think it's called) butter as a big plus.

Comment

And a second food request. Butter in shops only seems to be Kerrygold or own brand. Is there no more artisan brands of butter that are commonly available and that you've tried and found good? Barrel rolled (I think it's called) butter as a big plus.
                                                                          I thought it was generally accepted Kerrygold is the best in the land? Never have i thought of the need for an artisan butter! Im sure if you go to Fresh or Donnybrook fair or the likes theyll wrap the Kerrygold in a diff wrapper and charge you a few quid extra if it makes ya feel better haha!
                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

airport, lol

Comment

You can't set him up on pedestal and say 'it's correct for a Minister to resign, and a broadcaster, and a leas-Cathaoirleach - but not an EU trade commissioner'.
                                                                              Arguably he has more black marks against him too. I thought the interview yesterday was very P Flynn-esque..

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

What did you do with all your playlists?

The 'thumbs up' playlist on Google is my lifeblood, is there a similar feature on Spotify? Assume there would be.
                                                                                re: playlists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOhxZDV2XMs

I didn't just say goodbye to the playlists, I learnt python last year and was working on a custom media player built around google play

Spotify has likes which work the same as thumbs up.

Comment

mine also just arrived 6 x Rubicon, 5 x Meerlust Merlot, 2 x 2019 Midleton, 1 x 2018 Midleton.

On the topic of whiskey - I have bought 2 x Irish Whiskey lately that are trying to break into the aged/premium. 17yo O'Connell and 18yo Teeling. Both fall well below expectations. Seems buying aged casks and finishing them for 6 months in madeira casks is the approach du jour. It isn't working and the whiskey is being totally overpowered.

Comment

Not to concerned about the content but that screen reading audio widget is really good. Pronunciations are very accurate.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...erge-1.4338848
                                                                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

When i was living there, the big dunnes store in cabinteely sold President butter which is head and shoulders above kerrygold. It's been a while but the proximity of the French school seemed to push them to sell lots of French products not usually available elsewhere, so doubtful that's changed too much, and you might find some things you'd want.

Just back from France, and spent the last week in St malo, which is such a great place. Brought back kilos of sarasin flour, and kilos of bordier butter (probably one of the best baratte butters in the world) which is ridic good

Comment

I thought it was generally accepted Kerrygold is the best in the land? Never have i thought of the need for an artisan butter! Im sure if you go to Fresh or Donnybrook fair or the likes theyll wrap the Kerrygold in a diff wrapper and charge you a few quid extra if it makes ya feel better haha!
                                                                                        Oh there's such a difference. Genuinely mind-blowing when you try proper butter. You start by introducing cultures to the milk similar to cheese and yogurt before making the butter, adds a ridic depth of flavour that's not like any ordinary butter. I don't know what the Kerrygold process is, but it tastes like paper compared to proper butter.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak View Post

mine also just arrived 6 x Rubicon, 5 x Meerlust Merlot, 2 x 2019 Midleton, 1 x 2018 Midleton.

On the topic of whiskey - I have bought 2 x Irish Whiskey lately that are trying to break into the aged/premium. 17yo O'Connell and 18yo Teeling. Both fall well below expectations. Seems buying aged casks and finishing them for 6 months in madeira casks is the approach du jour. It isn't working and the whiskey is being totally overpowered.
                                                                                          Didn't even look at the SA wines. Those prices look to be ~25% cheaper than buying local.

Lumpage on the Christmas wine market imo!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Arguably he has more black marks against him too. I thought the interview yesterday was very P Flynn-esque..
                                                                                            you would hope he has someone trusted who can lead him into the metaphorical room with the loaded revolver and the bottle of whiskey....

Comment

During confinement we had a side hobby of trying maybe 15-20 of the best sounding butters from the local supermarket. Churned with cultures (beurre de baratte), which is the old way of making butter, was miles ahead of everything else.

These folk seem close maybe: https://abernethybutter.com/about/

Comment

Oh there's such a difference. Genuinely mind-blowing when you try proper butter. You start by introducing cultures to the milk similar to cheese and yogurt before making the butter, adds a ridic depth of flavour that's not like any ordinary butter. I don't know what the Kerrygold process is, but it tastes like paper compared to proper butter.
                                                                                                You have me intrigued! Im assuming this is just for bread uses?

Reminds me of the seaweed butter they serve/served in asador. Man that was good
                                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

Should we have the Moroccan ambassador sent home? Brian Hayes fired from his job? Pat McCartan's pension removed? Donie Cassidy horsewhipped in public?

(one of the above is a great idea IMO)

It's not a 'local political kerfuffle'; it goes to the very heart of the biggest crisis of all our lifetimes and whether ordinary people can and should believe anything the government says. Per my leadership post yesterday.
                                                                                                  I don't disagree but the EU rightly resisted the new Polish government's attempt to recall their Commissioner, they won't be able to do that next time if we are able to force Hogan out. The independence of the commission is at stake, and I wholly get the irony of me framing that in the context of his ability to do a job for us.

If Pascal, Leo, Simon or the only FF candidate I could imagine is Mehole can be parachuted into the trade job I'd be perfectly happy, but I think that is quite unlikely to happen and if it does it would probably be seen to compromises the commission even more deeply.

There has to be some level at which question how much are we willing to pay to have the high moral ground. Gove and Johnson must be laughing their holes off at the prospect of seeing someone else across the table next week.

Comment

You have me intrigued! Im assuming this is just for bread uses?

Reminds me of the seaweed butter they serve/served in asador. Man that was good
                                                                                                    Yeah bread mainly. But its so good that simple bread and butter is rather delicious. I've ordered delivery of a few of those Abernethy butter from the link above, so will update in due course.

Comment

Raoul is, at heart, a populist extremist:

Repeat criminals should be locked up forever.

Everyone should lose their jobs if Raoul doesn't like them.

Russia (and now China as its flava du jour) are irredeemable.

Some earlier views include:

Palestinian kids being shot dead while holidaying on a beach is probably their fault.

Ireland would never recover from the recession.

We shouldn't react to another extremist proclamation from him, but rather note with interest any time he isn't the embodiment of the raw unthinking crowd. If you will: an amoeba of reactionary emotion pulsating in reacting to the other amoebas.

Comment

Should we have the Moroccan ambassador sent home? Brian Hayes fired from his job? Pat McCartan's pension removed? Donie Cassidy horsewhipped in public?

(one of the above is a great idea IMO)
                                                                                                        <volunteers for horsewhipping duty>

I don't disagree but the EU rightly resisted the new Polish government's attempt to recall their Commissioner, they won't be able to do that next time if we are able to force Hogan out. The independence of the commission is at stake, and I wholly get the irony of me framing that in the context of his ability to do a job for us.
                                                                                                        Polish situation was completely different, bunch of Putin-backed thugs trying to assert total authority over every sphere of Polish life. Commission rightly told them to GTFO.

If Pascal, Leo, Simon or the only FF candidate I could imagine is Mehole can be parachuted into the trade job I'd be perfectly happy, but I think that is quite unlikely to happen and if it does it would probably be seen to compromises the commission even more deeply.

There has to be some level at which question how much are we willing to pay to have the high moral ground. Gove and Johnson must be laughing their holes off at the prospect of seeing someone else across the table next week.
                                                                                                        errr

Phil is not and never has been 'across the table' from them. You seem to think he is Michel Barnier.

Comment

Raoul is, at heart, a populist extremist:

Repeat criminals should be locked up forever.

Everyone should lose their jobs if Raoul doesn't like them.

Russia (and now China as its flava du jour) are irredeemable.

Some earlier views include:

Palestinian kids being shot dead while holidaying on a beach is probably their fault.

Ireland would never recover from the recession.

We shouldn't react to another extremist proclamation from him, but rather note with interest any time he isn't the embodiment of the raw unthinking crowd. If you will: an amoeba of reactionary emotion pulsating in reacting to the other amoebas.
                                                                                                          lol

Comment

<volunteers for horsewhipping duty>

Polish situation was completely different, bunch of Putin-backed thugs trying to assert total authority over every sphere of Polish life. Commission rightly told them to GTFO.

errr

Phil is not and never has been 'across the table' from them. You seem to think he is Michel Barnier.
                                                                                                            ah perfect ^^^ right on cue. Lets call this Exhibit XXXXVI

Comment

Finding myself goosed by the property market. Moving in with my gf, we found a place we really liked so agreed to take it. I'm meant to give 3months notice on my place since I've been here so long. But it was hoped the landlord would get someone new in sooner and that would be the end of my liabilities. New place was looking for 3 months up front , agreed to two. Multiple months rent + deposit out the door. My place hasn't moved in the last few weeks. Getting funked by the tech market moving home.

Anyone looking for a place in D2?

Comment

Timex won his free throwing prop bet for a few hundred k. Went from this a few months ago, to hitting 90/100.

Comment

Went from furiously defending my beloved Kerrygold from this French attack to planning a fancy buerre shopping spree in about five posts.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Isnt the Kerrygold brand just a marketing ploy ? Mass produced factory butter from all over the country, must seek out more artisan styles.
                                                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak View Post
                                                                                                                      I'd doubt Teelings bought in a aged cask for that one. Reviews weren't great, very sweet some said.
                                                                                                                      I've a Teeling 17 yeat old, here, finished in Australian Red wine cask (Armagh Shiraz). The spicy red does a much better job that sweet maderia imo.
                                                                                                                      The best stuff in Ireland is still coming out of Sherry casks though.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcT3cZFbEgG2FvZf9jqjWSYtJqDfrZszk0GnVQ&amp;usqp=CAU.jpg

I've a couple of them. Singles and doubles. Really handy for travelling with wine/whiskey if your luggage doesn't offer much protection.

Last edited by Mellor; 26-08-20, 12:25.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                                        Isnt the Kerrygold brand just a marketing ploy ? Mass produced factory butter from all over the country, must seek out more artisan styles.
                                                                                                                        It's considered artisan in the States. Which probably says it all really

Comment

Hitch how do you get the time/energy to post so much?

I just made maybe 6 phone calls and sent off 3 contracts by email so far and needed to take a lie down with the stress of it all!!

Actually could ask RD the same Q but think HH is more in the prolific category.

Last edited by dinekes; 26-08-20, 12:34.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X