Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost no place seems to have printers left for sale which are sadly a necessity despite this being the year of our lord 2020. Guessing corona has wiped out stocks? Managed to eventually find one in DID Electrical. Made the mistake of checking Argos. They really are an atrocity of a business, I've no idea how they stay open. Their website just gives palpitations realising that real people have designed that website and are walking amongst us unbeknownst.

The HP printers now have an interesting deal on them - of subscription ink. Seems surprisingly convincing as a business proposition.

Will Goodbody reviews the new Instant Ink subscription service from HP.
    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Speaking of news, stories like this are going to just keep emerging about Big Phil aren't they?
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Traditional journalism is (mostly) still good although has clearly lost considerable trust and market share.

What's the alternative? People who get their 'news' from Twitter, Facebook etc are going to be exposed to some serious BS.
        Some of it is still good. Some isn't. The Guardian, who you frequently link here, so presumably is your newspaper of record, is very reliable and that may be biasing your view of all newspapers upwards. Most UK news is trash. In Ireland - I don't know. I'd imagine The Currency is decent. I don't think The Indo is any better than twitter as its had a clickbait model until very recently so will have hired journalists based on their ability to generate clicks. IT: I'm not sure. There's not much left after that.

Its a false choice in any case. Its not a choice between buying a newspaper or reading opinions on Facebook.

Comment

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/...d-1014987.html

Odds on it's an anti mask headcase
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

This book is brill on threats to the quality of news. Specifically in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Some of it is still good. Some isn't. The Guardian, who you frequently link here, so presumably is your newspaper of record, is very reliable and that may be biasing your view of all newspapers upwards. Most UK news is trash. In Ireland - I don't know. I'd imagine The Currency is decent. I don't think The Indo is any better than twitter as its had a clickbait model until very recently so will have hired journalists based on their ability to generate clicks. IT: I'm not sure. There's not much left after that.

Its a false choice in any case. Its not a choice between buying a newspaper or reading opinions on Facebook.
              The indo is complete shite! The guardian is/was good but they are becoming a mockery of themselves more and more as the days go on.
              airport, lol

Comment

This book is brill on threats to the quality of news. Specifically in the UK.
                I’m not convinced that flat earthers aren’t just trolling with extreme dedication

Comment

Traditional news media (ignoring magazines\periodicals) that I would place a reasonably high degree of trust in and consume fairly regularly:
                  1. RTE
                  2. BBC
                  3. WSJ
                  4. NYT
                  5. Irish Times
                  6. The Guardian (although way too much wanky filler crap in amongst the good stuff )
                  7. The Financial Times
                  8. Reuters
                  9. Bloomberg
                  I'm sure there are zillions of others, they are just the ones I might consume on an ongoing basis and be reasonably confident that they are not either outright lies or else insanely biased.

Channels I know to be purveyors of nonsense:
                  1. RT
                  2. All tabloids
                  3. The Indo
                  4. Fox

Comment

EgRRtKZUMAEK2CQ?format=jpg&name=large.jpg
                    Person...Woman...Man......Camera..TV

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                      Stocked up on the vitamin D. Looks like the days of getting the free stuff from the sun are over

Would you say these are any good ? seem a tad cheap.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vitamin-Sof...s%2C155&sr=8-9
                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Any of you lot tried Nordic walking ?

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Would you say these are any good ? seem a tad cheap.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vitamin-Sof...s%2C155&sr=8-9
                          Yeah, think they are generally quite cheap. I didn't spot any they would send to Ireland when I looked on Amazon. The ones I pictured were about €10 for the 60 tablets in each bottle, and Boots had a 3 for 2 offer on vitamins, so €20 for 180 or roughly six months.

Comment

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/comm...sit-ireland_en

The EU heads will love that
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                              Going back to Kildare a 2nd time to pick up the rest of his stuff and his passport seems a bit mad. Guess the golf clubs were taking up a lot of room and he had to ditch them first.

Comment

Sean O'Rourke was booked to have a one hour politics programme on Saturday lunchtime starting in the Autumn schedule in mid September. It was to be announced with the new schedule on Thursday.

As a permanent employee of RTE he was forced to retire on hitting 65 and would have been coming back in as a contractor.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

RTE were pushing hard with the 'He was seen in Limerick before finishing self isolation' thing without ever considering that he might have had a test when he was in hosptal.

Can't see Ursula ditching him if that timeline is correct.

Comment

Ha

Comment

Tony Connolly has the interview. will be on the 6.1

I think Connolly is a great Journo. Was/Is my source of sense(if there is any) with brexit. But can he fillet a man?

Rte don't have many butchers left. Catroina Perry with Mehole was very poor the other night.

Comment

Traditional news media (ignoring magazines\periodicals) that I would place a reasonably high degree of trust in and consume fairly regularly:
                                        1. RTE
                                        2. BBC
                                        3. WSJ
                                        4. NYT
                                        5. Irish Times
                                        6. The Guardian (although way too much wanky filler crap in amongst the good stuff )
                                        7. The Financial Times
                                        8. Reuters
                                        9. Bloomberg
                                        I'm sure there are zillions of others, they are just the ones I might consume on an ongoing basis and be reasonably confident that they are not either outright lies or else insanely biased.

Channels I know to be purveyors of nonsense:
                                        1. RT
                                        2. All tabloids
                                        3. The Indo
                                        4. Fox
                                        Your list is approved sir. Carry on about your fine upstanding business.

I'd add CNN and pretty much all US tv to that nonsense list. CNN seems to have tried to be to liberals what Fox is to rightwingers. I obv agree with the liberal agenda, but CNN seem to have pushed it to an odd extreme.

I'd also downgrade BBC to the 'maybe dodgy' list. Their pursuit of balance in everything leads to them attempting to introduce ridic balance to things that should have no balance. They also get a healthy lump sum every year from the British secret service budget to push British interests abroad, so they clearly have a particular perspective that is non-neutral on matters of geopolitics.

FT is increasingly dodgy on China since they acquired Japanese ownership. Probably explains your own misunderstandings in the matter.

Comment

Going back to Kildare a 2nd time to pick up the rest of his stuff and his passport seems a bit mad. Guess the golf clubs were taking up a lot of room and he had to ditch them first.
                                          I'm confused by why he was in Kildare at all. Isn't his family home in Kilkenny? And that's where he went for some of the time.

Wonder does he have some kind of mistress stashed away in the K Club....

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                            Any of you lot tried Nordic walking ?
                                            Its great isn't it...oh wait...walking

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                              Anyone make the switch from google musi to youtube music recently. Im liking it. Playlist options even better when you can add youtube videos rather than just having access to google musics library
                                              ARe you using that instead of spotify?

Comment

The attempt to treat Big Phil like fucking Burundi has descended into legalese.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

I used to use google music but switched to Spotify because of the forced switch. Pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Almost no place seems to have printers left for sale which are sadly a necessity despite this being the year of our lord 2020. Guessing corona has wiped out stocks? Managed to eventually find one in DID Electrical. Made the mistake of checking Argos. They really are an atrocity of a business, I've no idea how they stay open. Their website just gives palpitations realising that real people have designed that website and are walking amongst us unbeknownst.

The HP printers now have an interesting deal on them - of subscription ink. Seems surprisingly convincing as a business proposition.
                                                    Yeah that's an interesting model. Really surprised at the free sub, seems ambitious for them. I've an old printer but just buying a new one seems easier and probably about the same price as trying to find ink cartridges,

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Yeah, i started using Google music years ago, uploaded my entire digital collection onto it and then signed up and was able to add to that collection from googles library.

Then I've put some amount of time over the years building up playlists, for example I've a series of playlists focusing on more chilled music, anything outside heavy electronic basically, and I'm on volume 28 with 40 songs a playlist. So yeah I'm kind of committed, rebuilding that on spotify would be a nightmare

Was able to transfer the lot to youtube music, and any song thats not within their collection but is available as a youtube video can also be added to these playlists, so selection is way better now. Always a few things missing from google music/spotify. And even after that you still have the ability to upload anything thats missing.
                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Was able to transfer the lot to youtube music, and any song thats not within their collection but is available as a youtube video can also be added to these playlists, so selection is way better now. Always a few things missing from google music/spotify. And even after that you still have the ability to upload anything thats missing.
                                                        I only used google play music to listen to music I had uploaded on the go. Do you have to take out a subscription to youtube music to transfer over that library?

Comment

I only used google play music to listen to music I had uploaded on the go. Do you have to take out a subscription to youtube music to transfer over that library?
                                                          Not sure actually. I had a subscription to google music anyway so thats transferred to youtube music. Not sure if you can transfer yours to youtube without a sub.

https://music.youtube.com/transfer

See what happens if you try i guess?
                                                          airport, lol

Comment

ah finally, according to the new rules of the jungle, we finally get to fire some religious freaks. 152 of the poor little feckers in the gathering all praying to jesus to not get corona because their principal is a dumbass. There can surely be no exception for teachers, the ultimate leaders of children in society, from the firing rule. This is most certainly illegal.

First-year students began their first day at St Leo's College in Carlow town with a prayer service in a large assembly hall. The 152 students sat on chairs that had a one-metre distance between them.

The principal of the secondary school said she does not believe the school has been in contravention of Government guidelines by gathering 152 students in a hall this morning on their first day back.

Welcoming students to the school, principal Niamh Broderick told them: "We are all in this together."
                                                            Nice little ironic touch in that last quote. Almost the exact opposite of the law which can be summarised as saying 'don't be all in anything together'
                                                            Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 25-08-20, 16:57.

Comment

Big Phil trying to argue that the guidelines are wrong. Where's Jeremy Paxman when you want him?

Comment

Big Phil trying to argue that the guidelines are wrong. Where's Jeremy Paxman when you want him?
                                                                he's going to brass neck it.
                                                                The govt. has no power to remove him and the EU has bigger fish to fry.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

he's going to brass neck it.
                                                                  The govt. has no power to remove him and the EU has bigger fish to fry.
                                                                  Somebody should remind him that he's only got a couple of years left in this gig and then he has to live in Ireland....people have long memories

Comment

Eoin, in my twitter link above, is fairly unimpeachable and when he moved back from Spain recently he was told the exact same thing by gardai at immigration about no need to quarantine if take a covid test. Which also makes sense.

Comment

Maybe profs are the only sane people left?

Comment

Eoin, in my twitter link above, is fairly unimpeachable and when he moved back from Spain recently he was told the exact same thing by gardai at immigration about no need to quarantine if take a covid test. Which also makes sense.
                                                                        Weird. The guidelines say different:

You are requested to restrict your movements for 14 days if you arrive into Ireland from another location that is not on the COVID-19 Green List.

This includes:
                                                                        • Irish citizens coming home
                                                                        • people with no symptoms
                                                                        • people who have tested negative for the virus in another location
                                                                        but obviously some random dude on Twitter should be believed ahead of the actual government website.

Comment

I’m fully on Team Big Phil, lot of disingenuousness from people who have been happy to bend the rules for themselves. Hang in their Bud
                                                                          “PSV was right all along” -Hitch 20 May 2019

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                            I’m fully on Team Big Phil, lot of disingenuousness from people who have been happy to bend the rules for themselves. Hang in their Bud
                                                                            I hope he hangs on, and then on the first occasion he gives Ireland any smidgen of preferential treatment in a negotiation he's fired on the spot. The idea that he's 'our' commissioner because we appointed him is pure gombeenism.

Comment

He's really not helping his case by (a) changing his account of his movements and (b) making up a false version of the quarantine rules that any idiot could disprove in ten seconds flat.

Comment

Somebody should remind him that he's only got a couple of years left in this gig and then he has to live in Ireland....people have long memories
                                                                                Who are ya kidding: he'll get a medal either way

Comment

Maybe profs are the only sane people left?

But he's wrong like (Phil) . He's actually gotten confused by the lack of clarity you claimed didn't exist. The HSE and Citizens' Info have both confirmed this.

​​​​I'm now actually confused about whether or not that tweet is supposed to suggest the advice is confusing or not? You were adamant it wasn't last week but Big Phil has misunderstood it to his detriment in a variety of ways.

Comment

Weird. The guidelines say different:

but obviously some random dude on Twitter should be believed ahead of the actual government website.
                                                                                    Ah he's not a random dude, well to me anyway. If he's said it then that's precisely what he was told at arrival in Dublin.

Is he not well known? I would have thought he was.
                                                                                    Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 25-08-20, 19:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

But he's wrong like (Phil) . He's actually gotten confused by the lack of clarity you claimed didn't exist. The HSE and Citizens' Info have both confirmed this.

​​​​I'm now actually confused about whether or not that tweet is supposed to suggest the advice is confusing or not? You were adamant it wasn't last week but Big Phil has misunderstood it to his detriment in a variety of ways.
                                                                                      The intention of the tweet is very clear, no? He's saying that everyone who was saying things were too confusing to understanding last week are now saying the rules are so clear that there's no way anyone at the golf event could have possibly misunderstood them. It's a comment on the crowd mentality that is changing interpretations to suit what different thing they want to do from one week to the next.

Comment

Ah he's not a random dude, well to me anyway. If he's said it then that's what precisely what he was told at arrival in Dublin.
                                                                                        Taking legal advice from a Garda is one of the most retarded things a person could ever do.

Comment

Taking legal advice from a Garda is one of the most retarded things a person could ever do.
                                                                                          He's not taking legal advice? There isn't a law that says you have to quarantine.

Comment

Seems a wee bit odd that if you have a close contact with someone with actual corona and test negative then you don't need to observe quarantine, but if you arrive from another country and test negative then you still need to observe quarantine. As in it plain doesn't make sense. Its a very particular case admittedly, but odd. Unless the tests are no use, but then surely the higher risk is the person in close contact with someone with corona not the random visitor from a country with low risk.

I do realise that's besides the point on the whole story.

Edit: ah no wait. I got it the wrong way round. Hmm it is confusing.

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 25-08-20, 20:01.

Comment

The intention of the tweet is very clear, no? He's saying that everyone who was saying things were too confusing to understanding last week are now saying the rules are so clear that there's no way anyone at the golf event could have possibly misunderstood them. It's a comment on the crowd mentality that is changing interpretations to suit what different thing they want to do from one week to the next.
                                                                                              I'm challenging you to choose between two rocks upon which to perish.

The advice is crystal clear and Phil is a moron or the advice is clear as mud and you were talking an implausible amount of nonsense last week?

Comment

Is he not well known? I would have thought he was.
                                                                                                I've never heard of him. Has he achieved something notable?

Comment

Actually suppose there's a third one, Phil doesn't give a fiddler's fart about any of the regulations and swings in and out of counties, golf clubs and parties as and when he pleases.

Comment

The attempt to treat Big Phil like fucking Burundi has descended into legalese.

[TWEET]1298269156597329923[/ TWEET]
                                                                                                    We got the same advice for people coming in and confirmed with hse website in July

Comment

Test done, all grand apart from the ear tip swabbing my brain for 15 seconds. They seemed to think I was cautious for even going at all.

Comment

What a horrible attitude from the cunt. If the whole country thinks your a prick, rightly or wrongly you'd take a different tone at least.
                                                                                                        His whole tone was he went by his own rules because he's smarter than everyone. Horrible show from a man who was supposed to be apologising.
                                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

I'm sure he's a big deal in the academic world
                                                                                                          Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Likely Twitter famous which is not famous at all but posts so much he has accumulated followers. So is now perceived as someone worth listening to.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                              @the wine snobs, the €5 Malbec in your local Aldi is still the best value out there. Go on, give it a try.
                                                                                                              They also have this Australian one at the moment for €7.36.

Comment

His goose is cooked now after another statement from Mehole

Watched a really good doc in the Scannal series on TG4 about O'Daillaigh Donegan and the thundering disgrace kerfuffle of 1976 The echos to the current crisis are interesting especially on the FG FF axis

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post

I'm sure he's a big deal in the academic world
                                                                                                                  Hmmm. Google says he's an associate professor.

Sounds pretty low down the academic pecking order. Hence why he presumably feels the need to boost his profile posting shite on Twitter.

Comment

Hmmm. Google says he's an associate professor.

Sounds pretty low down the academic pecking order. Hence why he presumably feels the need to boost his profile posting shite on Twitter.
                                                                                                                    Ah that's just because of my elevated level, everyone seems lowly by comparison.

Associate Prof is quite high. Most academics remain as Assistant Prof (or 'Lecturer' as the old title) as its such a bollix to get promoted.
                                                                                                                    Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 25-08-20, 20:39.

Comment

Not that it's anything to do with him as a person now, but does illustrate what types of stories he heard growing up - his father is the politics person his surname suggests. But thought he'd be well known for his journalism rather than his publications in European Journal of Political History. Top chap in real life.

Comment

Not that it's anything to do with him as a person now, but does illustrate what types of stories he heard growing up - his father is the politics person his surname suggests. But thought he'd be well known for his journalism rather than his publications in European Journal of Political History. Top chap in real life.
                                                                                                                        Still no name recognition (there was a good rugby player with the same name).

Don't think I have ever read an article by him. Maybe he publishes off my list of approved providers.

Comment

Still no name recognition (there was a good rugby player with the same name).

Don't think I have ever read an article by him. Maybe he publishes off my list of approved providers.
                                                                                                                          Des O'...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X