X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Yeah, I think you think you're being smart, but it's actually comprehensively stupid. As the link above shows convincingly.
      Think you are conflicting two different issues here or just phasing the initial statement badly. You stated people are imprisoned for racial reasons, and then you go on about sentencing terms which are racially motivated. That may very well be the case, but these are two different factors.

No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Much to PSV's horror, this jackeen decamped to the West last weekend for three glorious days. It's totally a first world problem, but we hadn't been away since the 1st week in January. I had some respite in that I've been going into the office every day but Mrs Lao Lao has been working from home the whole time - You definitely need a change of scenery every so often.

We didn't get down to Roundstone until about quarter to eleven Friday night so we just had the obligatory few glasses of wine with the father in law before heading to bed around 1 am. Now, when I am out west, I get the most perfect sleeps. We're out a bit from the village so it's dead quiet and pitch black, cannot stress how well I sleep.

After a nice lie in on Saturday, we had breakfast and set out to hit the beach and go for a swim. Dog's Bay and Gurteen were rammed so we headed out to Manin which is just past Ballyconnelly. We had the entire place to ourselves, not another sinner of the beach. The weather became a bit overcast and actually started to lightly spit rain as we got into the sea but within a few minutes, the sun was out and the water was glorious, we must have stayed in for about 30 minutes. From there we headed back to home where the father in law had obtained 4 freshly caught lobster which we cooked and polished off for dinner and washed them down with some great Chablis, which was followed by cheese and then chocolate with a really good Pinot Noir from NZ

Sunday was a somewhat early start (for early, read 10am) as we had acquired one of Mrs Lao Lao's friends kid who were staying not to far from us. He is 9 and obsessed with boats/ships so we took him out to Inis Lackeen for the morning. Lots of good fun on the boat, exploring the island, and doing stuff that ten year olds enjoy. Much to my annoyance, Mrs Lao Lao forgot to put some chorizo into the picnic basket so when we went crab hunting in the rock pools, we had to settle for Dunnes Stores finest Italian ham. Now, it clearly wasn't going to be the same but we did manage to catch three crabs with it in a relatively short time. I reckon we could have got more had we stuck at it but once we caught a few, the novelty wore off the 9 year old for wanted to do something else. It clearly demonstrated that the Duke family just don't have a long pedigree in the capturing of crustaceans. After a good swim off the beach in Inis Lackeen, we headed for home and the 9 year old was made up as he was allowed steer the boat across the main stretch of the water. After we handed him back to his parents, we headed for a spin out to Cleggan. There's not much to do there but there was a little coffee shop for some cake and coffee overlooking the harbor which did the trick. From there, it was back home where I got suck into making dinner which was roast chuck with all the trimmings, followed by rhubarb crumble and Connemara ice-cream all accompanied with some more of the Chablis.

Monday was the nicest day of the three, so nice that we hung around until 5pm rather than heading for Dublin early afternoon. We took the scenic route into and out of Roundstone (there's a walk along the coast rather than the road) for coffee and the papers and then took a dip in the sea when we got back to cool down. The water was just fantastic. When we got out, the father in law had prepared a feed of prawns for us, just to make sure we didn't fade away on the drive home.

I've said it before, I couldn't live out there full time as it would be too quiet but a visit there a few times a year is the best tonic you could ever get. We've already made plans to head back out for a slightly longer stay in early Sept sans father in law, I'm already looking forward to it!!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post

Ffs lol

I was, up there with a stomach problem. Either inflamed gut or a touch of IBS.

Horrific few days, but bit better now today.
            Get well soon SATNAN. Be careful when selecting a nursing home .

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

SPOILER
                Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                Much to PSV's horror, this jackeen decamped to the West last weekend for three glorious days. It's totally a first world problem, but we hadn't been away since the 1st week in January. I had some respite in that I've been going into the office every day but Mrs Lao Lao has been working from home the whole time - You definitely need a change of scenery every so often.

We didn't get down to Roundstone until about quarter to eleven Friday night so we just had the obligatory few glasses of wine with the father in law before heading to bed around 1 am. Now, when I am out west, I get the most perfect sleeps. We're out a bit from the village so it's dead quiet and pitch black, cannot stress how well I sleep.

After a nice lie in on Saturday, we had breakfast and set out to hit the beach and go for a swim. Dog's Bay and Gurteen were rammed so we headed out to Manin which is just past Ballyconnelly. We had the entire place to ourselves, not another sinner of the beach. The weather became a bit overcast and actually started to lightly spit rain as we got into the sea but within a few minutes, the sun was out and the water was glorious, we must have stayed in for about 30 minutes. From there we headed back to home where the father in law had obtained 4 freshly caught lobster which we cooked and polished off for dinner and washed them down with some great Chablis, which was followed by cheese and then chocolate with a really good Pinot Noir from NZ

Sunday was a somewhat early start (for early, read 10am) as we had acquired one of Mrs Lao Lao's friends kid who were staying not to far from us. He is 9 and obsessed with boats/ships so we took him out to Inis Lackeen for the morning. Lots of good fun on the boat, exploring the island, and doing stuff that ten year olds enjoy. Much to my annoyance, Mrs Lao Lao forgot to put some chorizo into the picnic basket so when we went crab hunting in the rock pools, we had to settle for Dunnes Stores finest Italian ham. Now, it clearly wasn't going to be the same but we did manage to catch three crabs with it in a relatively short time. I reckon we could have got more had we stuck at it but once we caught a few, the novelty wore off the 9 year old for wanted to do something else. It clearly demonstrated that the Duke family just don't have a long pedigree in the capturing of crustaceans. After a good swim off the beach in Inis Lackeen, we headed for home and the 9 year old was made up as he was allowed steer the boat across the main stretch of the water. After we handed him back to his parents, we headed for a spin out to Cleggan. There's not much to do there but there was a little coffee shop for some cake and coffee overlooking the harbor which did the trick. From there, it was back home where I got suck into making dinner which was roast chuck with all the trimmings, followed by rhubarb crumble and Connemara ice-cream all accompanied with some more of the Chablis.

Monday was the nicest day of the three, so nice that we hung around until 5pm rather than heading for Dublin early afternoon. We took the scenic route into and out of Roundstone (there's a walk along the coast rather than the road) for coffee and the papers and then took a dip in the sea when we got back to cool down. The water was just fantastic. When we got out, the father in law had prepared a feed of prawns for us, just to make sure we didn't fade away on the drive home.

I've said it before, I couldn't live out there full time as it would be too quiet but a visit there a few times a year is the best tonic you could ever get. We've already made plans to head back out for a slightly longer stay in early Sept sans father in law, I'm already looking forward to it!!

I'll be staying in a house on Inishboffin Island early Sept sailing from Cleggan harbour. Never been and looking forward to it and intend to rule Inishboffin for that short period of time. If i encounter hardy locals who wont fold easily I might mobilize you. Standby. Over.

Comment

Ee_U-79XkAQsWtj?format=png&name=4096x4096.png

Comment

Cant be arsed to go digging for the Restaurant thread but for anyone that's visiting Kerry at any stage you must go to Jack's Coastguard in Cromane. About 10 minutes far side of Killorglin and worth the trip from anywhere in the county. Our Airbnb was 40 minutes away and my parents joined us from almost an hour away. Absolutely everything about it is top class that I could probably write an essay recommending it.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post

I'll be staying in a house on Inishboffin Island early Sept sailing from Cleggan harbour. Never been and looking forward to it and intend to rule Inishboffin for that short period of time. If i encounter hardy locals who wont fold easily I might mobilize you. Standby. Over.
                      I'll be on standby although I hope this isn't the boat you were planning to get from Cleggan.

She was almost fully gone when I saw her up there last week.

SPOILER

SPOILER

Comment

It's a chart designed to show an ideology, hence it not being IMF data. For example there's far more slavery in US if you consider forced labour at $0.23 an hour in US prisons, where people are imprisoned for primarily racial reasons.
                        So if we agree that forced penal labour is a form of slavery, then it's slavery wherever it exists.

The current estimate is that there is about 40 million slaves in the world today, with the countries where it is most prevalent being:

India is home to the largest number of slaves globally, with 8 million, followed by China (3.86 million), Pakistan (3.19 million), North Korea (2.64 million), Nigeria (1.39 million), Iran (1.29 million), Indonesia (1.22 million), Democratic Republic of the Congo (1 million), Russia (794,000) and the Philippines (784,000).
                        Interesting stuff. And quite distinct and different forms of slavery from place to place, especially with regard to direct state control or not.
                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Let's not forget those poor feckers building the luxurious buildings in Dubai . Living in atrocious conditions

Comment

Kids drained by the heat in tropical Mayo here.

Went to Mulraney today, some spot on a sunny day with all of Clew Bay laid out to admire.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                              Let's not forget those poor feckers building the luxurious buildings in Dubai . Living in atrocious conditions
                              I'm sure we'll all be thinking of the workers killed and abused while cheering on the 2022 World Cup as well....

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I'm sure we'll all be thinking of the workers killed and abused while cheering on the 2022 World Cup as well....
                                Is it going to be played on the PS5 or the next Xbox?

Comment

Comment

Rookie mistake that will take years of therapy to get over (again). Sat in line of sight of the clown at the kids show. Cue being forced into a ten minute routine on the stage of the most cringeworthy kind. I'd been almost four years French-clown-free after the last incident and we're just about to escape on the ferry from French clown country. Its like Murtagh being a day from retirement in Lethal Weapon.
                                    Ah, we're often most uncomfortable with that which reminds us of aspects of ourselves.

Comment

Comment

Pretty sure I made the same comment the last time but cycled down to Wicklow town this morning - Bray is just a big pointless hill.

Comment

Coming to the end of Breath. A book about ... breathing. It's pretty fucking worryingly convincing about how how we are breathing is destroying the human race.
                                          Wondering have you read Guy Debord's 'The Society of the Spectacle'? Picked up a copy as Frankie Boyle mentioned it more than once. Quite heavy going imo, though interesting nonetheless https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...loM19Jh&rank=3

Comment

Rookie mistake that will take years of therapy to get over (again). Sat in line of sight of the clown at the kids show. Cue being forced into a ten minute routine on the stage of the most cringeworthy kind. I'd been almost four years French-clown-free after the last incident and we're just about to escape on the ferry from French clown country. Its like Murtagh being a day from retirement in Lethal Weapon.
                                            Now that you are returning to Ireland; here's another tip. Never, ever buy tickets for the panto that are situated anywhere near the stage.

Makes it an evens shot you'll be dragged up for the Dad Dancing contest. Humilation beyond belief.
                                            Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 09-08-20, 20:43.

Comment

Comment

That looks fascinating but impossible to read! I read a review saying 'even for an extreme leftist philosophical doctrine written in Paris in the 1960s, this is a bit convoluted'.
                                                Yeah, there is an assumption of having read at least some Marx. Maybe best to start you on some J P Sartre
                                                Last edited by ComradeCollie; 09-08-20, 21:34.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                  Cant be arsed to go digging for the Restaurant thread but for anyone that's visiting Kerry at any stage you must go to Jack's Coastguard in Cromane. About 10 minutes far side of Killorglin and worth the trip from anywhere in the county. Our Airbnb was 40 minutes away and my parents joined us from almost an hour away. Absolutely everything about it is top class that I could probably write an essay recommending it.

https://jackscromane.com/
                                                  Spending 4 days down that way next week, in Valentia where the old fella is from, family goes down most years. Will be driving past around lunchtime so just might drop in, thanks for the recommendation! Also have meal booked in O'Neills at Renard Point outside Cahersiveen on one night, will be nice I'm sure.

Hope the Dublin registration doesn't get us too many funny looks! At least we're not driving a Kildare car I suppose

Comment

Capisco.

Didn't see any Sopranos types in Prado but you never know. Think The Monk lives fairly close.
                                                    [please forgive the zombie quoting, I've been on retreat for the last week]

I used to have a friend who lived on St Lawrence's road who was a garda. We were walking across Clontarf Road and a car comes down St Lawrence's road and turns too close to us for my liking. I shout expletive-laden abuse at it. My friend goes: "You know who that was right? It was The Monk."

Comment

Please god don’t let Paul Casey win this
                                                      Day ,finau murikawa or DJ please

Comment

Not sure what slavery has to do with the topic? I'd imagine those numbers are also highly doubtful. The clue being in the generic weblink to IMF in the graphic to give the assumed halo of IMF to the data. Those are not IMF numbers, which is why the graphic can't link to anything specific from IMF.
                                                        so you had me here...

It's a chart designed to show an ideology, hence it not being IMF data.
                                                        you had me here...

For example there's far more slavery in US if you consider forced labour at $0.23 an hour in US prisons
                                                        yeah, you still had me here...

where people are imprisoned for primarily racial reasons.
                                                        then you've lost me a bit here. Are you not just attaching your ideology to the "data" here? If you're arguing that the USA has the highest modern slavery (by a certain definition), fair enough. Implying causation between imprisonment due to racism and modern day slavery is a big leap, no?
                                                        Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Laois lockdown movies

This is a gem

Free Streaming of Movies and TV Show. The Most Movies and TV Shows online with the highest quality. New Movies and Episodes are added every hour.
                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Hotspur cursing at a monk. I knew Buddhism wasnt all that.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                              Please god don’t let Paul Casey win this
                                                              Day ,finau murikawa or DJ please
                                                              Squeaky bum for me . Wont aftertime but squeaky bum big time . Riveting stuff though .

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                That was my point. Canada is an exception because its now a place where a reasonable human might want to live and raise a family the US and Australia are not.
                                                                The "exception" proves you're point is nonsense. As proved out by the countless examples. America seems especial grim, but that's down today not the 18th century. Ditto for other shitty parts of the world. If you applied your "logic" to the whole world there's be nowhere left, including Ireland.

The thinly veiled dig is pretty sad attempt at whatever you were going for tbh.

Comment

I think he's describing a situation a good while ago. Hopefully it has changed since Trudeau came into power given there was the big healthfelt apology episode.
                                                                  That sort of change moves stuff moves at a snails pace. Certainly needs more than a governmental term or two. Looking at a full generation cycle for any significant change.
                                                                  while it's a different topic, look at how slow the change was in the same-sex marriage acceptance or abortion referendums. Both seen a big "wins" but the amounf of people against them was still kinda worrying.

Comment

Comment

You should watch 13th on Netflix if you haven’t already

] it is titled after the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, adopted in 1865, which abolished slavery throughout the United States and ended involuntary servitude except as a punishment for conviction of a crime.
                                                                      Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Who'd be on an Irish Mount Rushmore? - Question on Newstalk now - 4 faces.

Jeopardy style reverso - can you tell me what kind of person gave the following 4?
                                                                        1. Gay Byrne
                                                                        2. Brian Cody
                                                                        3. Sonia O'Sullivan
                                                                        4. Michael Collins.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Jeopardy style reverso - can you tell me what kind of person gave the following 4?
                                                                          you want 4 good faces, never mind any other factor. So I'll just give one:

Samuel Beckett (what a face)

Comment

Originally posted by Jam-Fly View Post

so you had me here...

you had me here...

yeah, you still had me here...

then you've lost me a bit here. Are you not just attaching your ideology to the "data" here? If you're arguing that the USA has the highest modern slavery (by a certain definition), fair enough. Implying causation between imprisonment due to racism and modern day slavery is a big leap, no?
                                                                            In a dissent, Chief Justice Bernette Johnson compared Fair Wayne Bryant's sentence to "Pig Laws" in the years after Reconstruction, which enacted harsh penalties for theft and other petty crimes.

Comment

is that a '3 strikes and you're out' case?

Comment

you want 4 good faces, never mind any other factor. So I'll just give one:

Samuel Beckett (what a face)
                                                                                Sean Kelly
                                                                                Miley from Glenroe
                                                                                Podge (Better looking than Rodge )

AND OF COURSE RONNIE DREW (whose death started a worldwide recession ?

Comment

Cromwell, Queen Victoria, Maggie Thacher and Dr Ian Paisley

The 4 most important people in shaping the country we live in

Maybe with a statue of Sean Lemass or the likes giving them the finger!

Comment

Location for our Rushmore would be interesting as well - we don't have Indian land to desecrate so we'd have to think outside the box on the most unsuitable location possible.
                                                                                    Hills of Tara maybe, or the side of Ben Bulben.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                      Location for our Rushmore would be interesting as well - we don't have Indian land to desecrate so we'd have to think outside the box on the most unsuitable location possible.
                                                                                      Hills of Tara maybe, or the side of Ben Bulben.
                                                                                      side of Liberty Hall

Comment

I've long thought of the slogans at the top of the hillside on the right hand side as you approach the Glen of the Downs as Ireland's answer to Rushmore tbh.

Comment

I've long thought of the slogans at the top of the hillside on the right hand side as you approach the Glen of the Downs as Ireland's answer to Rushmore tbh.
                                                                                          Free Nicky Kelly with every packet of Cornflakes?

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

3 strikes and you're out was precisely one of the laws developed to criminalise the black community. Just put more police in black neighbourhoods to observe petty criminality and bang after three minor crimes you've got a 25 year prison sentence slave to work for $1.50 a day.
                                                                                                It only applies to violent crime or serious felonies.
                                                                                                Oddly enough, it was one of the deepest blue states, California, who led the way back in 1994.

e.g.:
                                                                                                California's “three strikes” law is a sentencing scheme that gives defendants a prison sentence of 25 years to life if they are convicted of three violent or serious felonies.
                                                                                                Violent crime has dropped by 50% in California since it was introduced. So I guess the people who voted it in by a large majority would be happy with it, in what is generally reckoned to be the most progressive state in the US.

Comment

I would have zero problem with an Irish version of that law for repeat violent offenders.

How many court cases do you read of where the summary is "Scumbag X, who has more than 100 previous convictions, received a suspended sentence'?

Comment

And Bray head our christ the Redeemer.

Comment

I would have zero problem with an Irish version of that law for repeat violent offenders.

How many court cases do you read of where the summary is "Scumbag X, who has more than 100 previous convictions, received a suspended sentence'?
                                                                                                      When I were a nipper I thought a suspended sentence was a hanging. I was very disappointed , especially when a local scumbag got off so lightly for stealing cars in his own neighbourhood only to steal again . Hang em high .

Comment

I was getting at that these imprisoned black people are then forced to work at $0.23 an hour in prison so they can afford 'luxuries' like toothpaste. Which seems pretty exactly like slavery. The fact that it disproportionately happens in Southern racist states makes it seem like starting the band up again to reinstall slavery. Maybe it's a leap, but it's not too much of a leap imo.i think the intention is fairly clear.

It's a widely held idea by justice reform campaigners in the US, whether right or wrong, so I'm not just pulling the idea out of my ass.
                                                                                                        "prisoners are used as slaves" and "you're more likely to become a prisoner due to racial reasons" are somewhat related but not 100% intertwined (I'm not arguing either point is right or wrong btw). I just think it's misleading to argue both points in the same breath. What about all the people in prison not as a result of racism?

If you think slavery is wrong full stop (or if you want to be more specific, if you think using prisoners as slaves is wrong), then surely it should be about stopping the practice of using prisoners as slaves - (so the fact that you're more likely to become a prisoner due to racial reasons is largely irrelevant).

If you think people being more likely to become prisoners due to racism is wrong, then it should be about addressing this racism.

Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

probably 17/18

but that's the equivalent of non-league football compared to playing Premier League for Man City
                                                                                                          I recently heard of a 14yo playing first team cricket with Merrion, which I figure is a serious achievement. Youngest ever for the club.

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

You and GL2ME could do with a bit of differentiation too, I have to squint every time to see if its the lad with the hairstyle or the lad with a senior all Ireland medal
                                                                                                          11/10

Comment

3 strikes and you're out was precisely one of the laws developed to criminalise the black community. Just put more police in black neighbourhoods to observe petty criminality and bang after three minor crimes you've got a 25 year prison sentence slave to work for $1.50 a day.
                                                                                                            Maybe just maybe if they didn’t do the crimes they would not have to do the time. Like sone yahoo from pavee point blame everyone but the individual responsible. I’d have no issue giving a life sentence to some scumbag with 40 or 50 convictions how many bribes and what cost to the state have they accumulated.
                                                                                                            Last edited by Guest; 10-08-20, 11:31.

Comment

A friend of mine works in criminal law and would point out that often times (but not exclusively) it would include a large shopping list of driving convictions etc, it’s rare someone has 100 convictions for burglary or theft and still let off lightly.

Id agree though that there should be an increased severity for repeat offenders, if there is even a perception of leniency for petit criminality it can lead to dangerous outcomes. It would need to be for something that affects others though like violent crime or the like.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post

Maybe just maybe if they didn’t do the crimes they would not have to do the time. Like sone yahoo from paves point blame everyone but the individual responsible. I’d have no issue giving a life sentence to some scumbag with 40 or 50 convictions how many bribes and what cost to the state have they accumulated.
                                                                                                                I think if a fella is caught thee times with a small amount of drugs it wouldn’t justify it. The juice wouldn’t be worth the squeeze on costs, and it’d be pretty open to abuse also.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                                                                  I recently heard of a 14yo playing first team cricket with Merrion, which I figure is a serious achievement. Youngest ever for the club.

Sur wasn't the Duke hockied all over the park by a 8 year old Eoin Morgan in a senior cup match or something (that's how I remember the story anyhu)

Comment

Oddly enough, it was one of the deepest blue states, California, who led the way back in 1994.

e.g.:

Violent crime has dropped by 50% in California since it was introduced. So I guess the people who voted it in by a large majority would be happy with it, in what is generally reckoned to be the most progressive state in the US.
                                                                                                                    That's pretty awful analysis, although I remember you made a similar case before. When crime drops you can't just attribute a single reason to it.

The Effect of Three-Strikes Legislation on Serious Crime in California study analyzed the effect of the Three-Strikes legislation as a means of deterrence and incapacitation. The study found that the Three-Strikes Law did not have a very significant effect on deterrence of crime, but also that this[38] ineffectiveness may be due to the diminishing marginal returns associated with having pre-existing repeat offender laws in place.[39]

A 2015 study found that three-strikes laws were associated with a 33% increase in the risk of fatal assaults on law enforcement officers.[44]

Anyway, this whole discussion is about twenty years behind modern thinking. Prisons don't work in any effective sense, they never have and they never will. This is a good primer on the future and prisons and punishment:
                                                                                                                    In three decades of advocating for prison abolition, the activist and scholar has helped transform how people think about criminal justice.

Comment

e.g.:

Hectorjelly deals with it pretty well but let me just head you off at the pass here and tell you: You are wrong.

Three strikes does not work. It leads to absurdities beyond description and attributing a drop in violent crime to it is a classic correlation/causation error.
                                                                                                                      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                                      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

Hectorjelly deals with it pretty well but let me just head you off at the pass here and tell you: You are wrong.

Three strikes does not work. It leads to absurdities beyond description and attributing a drop in violent crime to it is a classic correlation/causation error.
                                                                                                                        Well, let's at least accept that (yes, like Trump) it is democratically mandated by the electorate?

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post

Sur wasn't the Duke hockied all over the park by a 8 year old Eoin Morgan in a senior cup match or something (that's how I remember the story anyhu)
                                                                                                                          13, but the rest of it is pretty accurate!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X