This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Whats that buke you have been recommending called again?
    Which one, A Gentleman in Moscow?

I can recommend many books. Always feel sad when someone tells me they don't read.
    Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 05-08-20, 21:27.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      Reading an article about how vital the VP pick is for Biden and in the same article it mentioned Clinton's VP pick a mere few years ago. Anyone remember? Yeah, me neither. Even googled it to check it wasn't a mistake.
      SPOILER
      Tim Kaine?

VP picking is all about choosing a relative nonentity that will pick you up some crucial spare votes in a place where you might be weak. And who will then duly fuck off to a dark cupboard for four years, secretly hoping\fearing you might die.

Comment

And the home of the Free. Unless you get sick.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
          This is a good fantasy exercise.

So pick two places to live on every continent.

South America: Uruguay and Chile
          North America: Costa Rica and somewhere in the Deep South for the bbq and the accents
          Europe: Somewhere in classical mitteleuropa like Prague or Budapest and Trieste
          Asia: Sri Lanka (food, cricket) and South Korea
          Africa: Botswana and Mozambique

South America : Argentina and Peru
          North America : Cuba and New York
          Europe : Has to be France as first pick and then probably Greece. The Greeks are bat shit crazy but they are lovely genuine people.
          Asia : Vietnam and Japan. So much love for Vietnam and while I've never been to Japan, it's definitely on the bucket list.
          Africa : Morocco & Mauritius

Comment

How come everyone wore hats? Should we be wearing hats?

Cool video.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
              Tar, I would love your life if I could just eat a burger.
              Funnily enough not having those is one of the things that makes me happiest.
              Eat a few impossible burgers, good to go! Annoyingly can't get them here so I eat beyond burgers.
              Also some exciting stuff on the way, first 3d printed steak is here, and vegan wagyu beef https://vegnews.com/2020/7/world-s-f...se-master-chefhttps://vegnews.com/2020/7/world-s-f...se-master-chef
              Those are just facsimiles, there is actually lab grown bacon going to restaurant testing in a month or two.

Comment

South America : Chile / Argentina
                North America : San Diego / Calgary
                Europe : France ( Bordeaux ) / Croatia (Rovinj)
                Asia : Vietnam ( Hoi An) / Thailand ( Chang Mai)
                Africa : Ethiopia / S. Africa.

Would rather live in Queenstown N.Z. and visit all of the above.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Cool video.
                  Have watched that a few times . For optimum experience. Turn off lights , cast to TV and sit right in front about 12 inches . It's like you are there . Mad to think everyone in that is well gone now.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                    I remember Sat Nav and a few others recommending vaping kits. Can someone steer me in the right direction?
                    . Too tired now but pm tomorrow and I'll give you my mobile and talk you though it as too many stupid big smoke machines out there.
                    Her sky-ness
                    © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Wouldn't have to be millions. Tar said 3-5x, taxes are lower in the US, come back and have no mortgage/invest the money.
                      Taxes are lower in the US? Are they?
                      I thought they ended up being pretty high when you totted it all up. But the system of deductions is fairly complex.

Comment

South America : Argentina and Brazil (although not a great time)
                        North America : Chicago and New York
                        Europe : French (Bordeaux) or Amsterdam/Eindhoven
                        Asia : Japan or Hong Kong
                        Africa : Seychelles or Mauritius

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Taxes are lower in the US? Are they?
                            I thought they ended up being pretty high when you totted it all up. But the system of deductions is fairly complex.
                            Property taxes are considerably higher.

Income taxes and sales taxes are considerably lower. And it is very dependent on which state you live in. Some states have no state income tax.

Comment

Cool video.
                              Always wonders just how much research goes into the colours used, versus imagination.

My Dad grew up on Valentia Island in south west Kerry in the 1950s/60s and in that time almost everyone would have had some kind of head covering, be it a hat for men or shawl/scarf for women. As someone who hated hats, he was very happy for that era to soon end! For my part I love a good hat and wish we still rocked around in full suits and top hats, they are awesome.

Comment

South America : Argentina and Brazil (although not a great time)
                                North America : Chicago and New York
                                Europe : French (Bordeaux) or Amsterdam/Eindhoven
                                Asia : Japan or Hong Kong
                                Africa : Seychelles or Mauritius
                                I went to Mauritius quite a few times for work. I'd say you would be bored shitless after a month. Same comment for the Seychelles.

Chicago seems like a great city, but the winters just sound horrendous. Brrrrr.

Comment

BTW not sure who cares that much about poker anymore, but one of our own snagged a WSOP bracelet last night on the one, the only GGPoker

Eoghan O'Dea - first father & son bracelet winning pair in WSOP history I would imagine?

https://www.pokernews.com/tours/wsop.../event-51-plo/

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                    I remember Sat Nav and a few others recommending vaping kits. Can someone steer me in the right direction?
                                    At €30 in their place in Talbot St or online, this is a decent starter kit.
                                    https://ecirette.ie/products/innokin-t20s-kit.

Edit :seems to be sold out above, but you'll get it for €35 in most other places.

Comment

J
                                      Very decent choices Mellor. Maybe swap grimly perfect Bordeaux for the coolness of Toulouse or Lyon, but apart from that.
                                      Tbh the French choice was wine driven. Considered over burgundy way too, say Dijon. Also considered Italy for sane. But prefer french food, and less likely to tell me I’m murdering the language.

I went to Mauritius quite a few times for work. I'd say you would be bored shitless after a month. Same comment for the Seychelles.

Chicago seems like a great city, but the winters just sound horrendous. Brrrrr.
                                      Chicago/New York was more design/work.
                                      but yeah, but definitely be pissing off to Mauritius for the winter

Last edited by Mellor; 06-08-20, 08:02.

Comment

Income taxes and sales taxes are considerably lower. And it is very dependent on which state you live in. Some states have no state income tax.
                                        Was aware of the state tax element. Nevada and Florida are two I know have no state tax. But you’ll pay federal everywhere. Plus the states that pay the quoted 2-3x salary are probably going to be high tax states/cities.

High earners in NYC pay over 50%

Whats the top rate in Ireland?

Comment

I don't think people here realize just how significant property taxes are. In the area my sister lives the property tax on a modest $500k house is about $12k a year. And I remember her prioritising moving to an area with higher property taxes when she had kids, as they go in a large way to funding the schools.
                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Was aware of the state tax element. Nevada and Florida are two I know have no state tax. But you’ll pay federal everywhere. Plus the states that pay the quoted 2-3x salary are probably going to be high tax states/cities.

High earners in NYC pay over 50%

Whats the top rate in Ireland?
                                            Over 50% on income? I think that's way off. Federal taxes only get to 37% at 500k+, state are usually about 5%.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

Eoghan O'Dea - first father & son bracelet winning pair in WSOP history I would imagine?
                                              Doyle and Todd Brunson

Comment

Cool video.
                                                Everyone looks well put together
                                                such a contrast with what you would see these days

Athleisure was definitely mentioned in the book of revelations somewhere

Comment

Very decent choices Mellor. Maybe swap grimly perfect Bordeaux for the coolness of Toulouse or Lyon, but apart from that.
                                                  Spent 6 weeks travelling around France last year on the start of our world tour. Nantes, Bordeaux,Clermont Ferrand, Lyon and Reims.

Funny how tastes differ, Lyon is the only one I would have no desire to go back to.

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post

Spent 6 weeks travelling around France last year on the start of our world tour. Nantes, Bordeaux,Clermont Ferrand, Lyon and Reims.

Funny how tastes differ, Lyon is the only one I would have no desire to go back to.
                                                    They all have a different character.

I really liked Montpellier and Perpignan when there, but that is probably coloured by being pretty much hammered for the duration of each visit.

Castres is seared into my memory as a place not to return to - stronghold of the National Front.

Toulouse is pretty congenial too. Marseilles and Toulon are both manky and funky in equal measure.

Comment

South America : Uruguay / Chile
                                                      North America : Vancouver & Hawaii
                                                      Europe : Lisbon & Prague
                                                      Asia : Tokyo & Christchurch (does this count?)
                                                      Africa : Morocco & Cape Town

I could legitimately put my elbows on the table after the top and bottom ones

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

South America : Chile
                                                        North America : San Fran
                                                        Europe : Florence or Dublin
                                                        Asia : new city between Dundalk and Drogheda
                                                        Africa : Jo burg

Comment

Some very clever algorithm tampering went on yesterday where fb banned certain keywords and hashtags, #savethechildren being the most prominent.
                                                          A deeper look at it would suggest it's a word cloud type block as it most often appeared beside pizzagate, frazzledrip and other mental conspiracys.
                                                          Facebook auto blocked a ton of them and now Save the Children (which appears to be a legitimate charity, albeit with some really dirty laundry)
                                                          and right wing loons can point at FB normalizing and protection pedophilia.
                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Notice that all but one of you went for white or tanned Africa.

Racist cunce.

I'd opt for Kenya and Tanzania meself
                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Over 50% on income? I think that's way off. Federal taxes only get to 37% at 500k+, state are usually about 5%.
                                                              Federal is 37%
                                                              Social Security is 2-2.5%
                                                              New York State Tops at 8.8%
                                                              NYC tax is almost 4%

Comes to 52% at the top. Obviously effective rate is less due to brackets. But still, it’s a bit mad.
                                                              I only realised it was that crazy in new york when a pro fighter published how much of his earnings to tax.

Comment

Actually, 2 of you, Mellor picked Seychelles.
                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Chile is a great place to visit, but not to live. Food is terrible, cost of living is relatively high and it isn't much craic.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                    Notice that all but one of you went for white or tanned Africa.

Racist cunce.

I'd opt for Kenya and Tanzania meself
                                                                    South Africa isn't white

and 'tanned Africa'? That's the kind of thing that would get you fired from a professorship these days.

The two you picked, Serengeti apart, are dumps.

Comment

South Africa isn't white

and 'tanned Africa'? That's the kind of thing that would get you fired from a professorship these days.

The two you picked, Serengeti apart, are dumps.
                                                                      Didn’t one of our members here get mugged in Nai robbery a few years back.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post

Strewel I assume, wasn't me. I was only there once and did not enjoy.

Comment

You didn't enjoy Tanzania? That's next on my list to visit. Someday.

Comment

Federal is 37%
                                                                            Social Security is 2-2.5%
                                                                            New York State Tops at 8.8%
                                                                            NYC tax is almost 4%

Comes to 52% at the top. Obviously effective rate is less due to brackets. But still, it’s a bit mad.
                                                                            I only realised it was that crazy in new york when a pro fighter published how much of his earnings to tax.
                                                                            You need to be over a million to be 8.8% tax. My effective rate in NY would be way lower than Dublin! Even with all the layers of tax... hitting 52% in Ireland from €70k is tough going. I don’t think taxes should ever go above half.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                              South America : Chile
                                                                              North America : San Fran
                                                                              Europe : Florence or Dublin
                                                                              Asia : new city between Dundalk and Drogheda
                                                                              Africa : Jo burg
                                                                              Johannesburg over Cape Town?!

Comment

You didn't enjoy Tanzania? That's next on my list to visit. Someday.
                                                                                Nairobi is in Kenya (or 'Nai Robbery' as it sometimes known )

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                  Chile is a great place to visit, but not to live. Food is terrible, cost of living is relatively high and it isn't much craic.
                                                                                  I was looking at some latin american street food thing on netflix and it struck me how absolute little I know about an entire continent.
                                                                                  I could probably rattle off a few factoids and capital cities but I know absolutely nothing about life there

Comment

It's a bit silly to compare Tax rates without caveats tbh.

There's a value-for-money proposition that needs to be understood. There's staggering value-for-money provided for taxes paid in some of the Scandi countries, where yes you do pay more as a % than you would in the US but you also don't bankrupt your family for generations when you get diabetes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post

I was mugged in Nairobi, not sure I ever posted it here though. I've been there a few times, there are parts which feel properly dangerous but the touristy areas feel quite safe.

Malawi and Botswana top two for me..

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

You need to be over a million to be 8.8% tax. My effective rate in NY would be way lower than Dublin! Even with all the layers of tax... hitting 52% in Ireland from €70k is tough going. I don’t think taxes should ever go above half.
                                                                                        Im aware you need to hit $1m. I did say top earners pay half, which was questioned. Wasn’t suggesting that level of tax is the norm.
                                                                                        Obviously the notional 3xSalary would be doing better regardless of tax.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Johannesburg over Cape Town?!
                                                                                          My friend grew up in Jozie and she maintains Cape town may be prettier but Joburg is better . Apparently there is a cool hippy part I'd love also . Anyhoo I'm no expert on either so going with my limited knowledge and personal recommendation from a local I see Australia wasnt dissected. Best city ?

Comment

Im aware you need to hit $1m. I did say top earners pay half, which was questioned. Wasn’t suggesting that level of tax is the norm.
                                                                                            Obviously the notional 3xSalary would be doing better regardless of tax.
                                                                                            Wasnt really disagreeing just more pointing out that top earners means 70k in Ireland and 1m in NY. I think the value for money proposition on tax in the US is horrible all the same.

Comment

My friend grew up in Jozie and she maintains Cape town may be prettier but Joburg is better . Apparently there is a cool hippy part I'd love also . Anyhoo I'm no expert on either so going with my limited knowledge and personal recommendation from a local I see Australia wasnt dissected. Best city ?
                                                                                              I only visited both and found JbErg really unsettling, wouldnt walk around there as freely at all. Cape Town has dis improved a fair bit since 2013 when I went but still it was remarkably nice.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I was looking at some latin american street food thing on netflix and it struck me how absolute little I know about an entire continent.
                                                                                                I could probably rattle off a few factoids and capital cities but I know absolutely nothing about life there
                                                                                                Me too. I'm going back as soon as it's safe. I had planned on going to Brazil in Sept, but that was pre-Covid

Comment

...

Comment

Come to Alberta!

All the reasonable taxing of the states, with only some of the nutjob conservatives.

Oil and gas salaries have pumped up salaries in general here too.

Summers, all 4 and a half months of it are great.
                                                                                                    Winters, are ok except for late Jan and Feb which is face meltingly cold.

Canada is the nut country.

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

...

Comment

Is 'moka' still a thing? For one white parent, one black parent. Maybe that's not the word, as seems too jokey (from mokachino coffee I guess, don't know how to spell as consider milk the devil's semen). Not that it ever comes up in conversation.
                                                                                                        Jesus Christ Hitch.

please don't ever use that outside of here, or even here tbf

Comment

I see Australia wasnt dissected. Best city ?
                                                                                                          Brisbane imo.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                                Come to Alberta!

All the reasonable taxing of the states, with only some of the nutjob conservatives.

Oil and gas salaries have pumped up salaries in general here too.

Summers, all 4 and a half months of it are great.
                                                                                                                Winters, are ok except for late Jan and Feb which is face meltingly cold.

Canada is the nut country.

Comment

Pakistan with a fucking 17 year old fast bowler who is making the ball talk. Outrageous.

I'd say he's probably 25.

Comment

Brazil - Rio beautiful ticks all the boxes or did in my early twenties, not sure I could handle it now!
                                                                                                                    Patagonia- never been but like the whole nature vibe

New York- Has everything great city
                                                                                                                    San Diego- Parts of it are like stepping back in time, very chilled town.

Southern France - Taradeaux -sleepy little village in the middle of a wine region(like almost everywhere) pop down and pick up a nice Rose for buttons with some authentic crusty French bread and ham, call your publisher and tell them your'e nearly finished the second draft as you peevishly toss the latest rolled up A4 sheet into the waste basket (miss =another glass of Rose)

Iceland - always had a hankering to go, hear its great but food maybe not to everyone's taste.

Africa - wherever Kilimanjaro is, think its Tanzania

Comment

Camp WiFi, struggling to reach 2 mbps speeds, costs a tenner a day. Phone 4g is a whopping 44 mbps. I don't know if WiFi has gotten worse, is stuck in 10 year old tech, or 4g has gotten spectacular.
                                                                                                                      The phone tower of your 4g connection could be bouncing wirelessly to another tower which then connects to multi-gig fiber uplink. Out in the sticks its not feasible to run fibre everywhere to every house or business. Your connection for the wifi is likely an old copper phone line (dsl). They pretty much never go above 50mb and after a few km of cable the speeds drop off massively.

Comment

Is 'moka' still a thing? For one white parent, one black parent. Maybe that's not the word, as seems too jokey (from mokachino coffee I guess, don't know how to spell as consider milk the devil's semen). Not that it ever comes up in conversation.
                                                                                                                        When I worked in San Francisco at a coffee shop come cunt came in and ordered a "tuxedo" which I then found out to be a white and regular mocha mix. That was over ten years ago we never quite reached the same coffee cunt levels here thankfully.
                                                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X