Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't realise Irish hospitals were still not doing routine stuff. Got a letter yesterday inviting me to come in for an x-ray of my stones when 'Covid-19 restrictions are lifted'. This is 2 and a half years after they last had a look.
    'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'

Comment

Some very interesting chat between a company and the hackers who got to encrypt their files in this thread. Sounds like Garmin paid up last week too.

some of the exchanges are amazing
      EeQoutIXgAIvoXg?format=jpg&name=small.jpg
      Last edited by Strewelpeter; 01-08-20, 11:28.
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Masks/visors are about stopping spread, not personal protection. I think they do the job.
        Visors are a pretty good alternative imo. Cannot get father in law to keep mask on but visor works as it's so unobtrusive.
        Visors are maybe okay. Most restaurants here use them. But whatever visor these people were using was like a flat pane of plastic protruding from their foreheads at a 60 degree angle away from the face.

I'm not sure visors are actually that good. Otherwise surgeons would use them and not masks during surgery as would be less obtrusive. Visors are just protection theatre.

The key is using proper surgical masks which are highly comfortable. Which makes sense given that they have been designed to not distract brain surgeons during 10 hour massively detailed surgeries.
        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Set up the tent in the back garden for youngest plus her cousin to 'camp' tonight.

Can tell I, and possibly entire neighbourhood, are going to regret this.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
            Set up the tent in the back garden for youngest plus her cousin to 'camp' tonight.

Can tell I, and possibly entire neighbourhood, are going to regret this.
            A great way to find out feral cats and foxes take over the place at night!

Comment

€1250 gain in last week or so on the €3000 schrounged together for ethereum over the course of lockdown due to reduced living expenses. I presume it'll be all gone next week, but still.

Comment

Still haven't figured out what creature(s) stealing my next door neighbours milk delivery, and leaving it in my garden. Suspect the seagulls though that's mostly down to my prejudice against them

Comment

The US forcing TikTok to sell their US subsidiary is a true sign of things to come imo. Its nothing really to do with privacy. China were the first to ban US software because they were too backward to compete, but now Chinese tech is starting to show it is too advanced for US to compete. On 5g, now even on basic apps, the US is having to ban rather than compete. US is still a mile ahead on commerciability, but it has strong echos of Japanese vs US tech hardware in 1980s. I read a lot of AI research papers and they seem to be mainly published by Chinese sounding names.

Comment

Is commerciability even a word? Fuck off to China if you love it so much

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                      Is commerciability even a word? Fuck off to China if you love it so much
                      Commerciality I think he means.

Feels like a word a finance professor should know.

Comment

Ah I'm confused with HH posting the tripe he usually puts on twitter here.

Comment

Ah I'm confused with HH posting the tripe he usually puts on twitter here.
                          Ha. Glad you noticed. For a rather complicated work reason I can't post on twitter until Oct 1st. Although am slightly debating how healthy twitter is full stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Although am slightly debating how healthy twitter is full stop.
                            I'm convinced it's a cesspool that almost everybody comes over worse than they really are. Like I now think your buddy Lucey is a cunt.

I understand people selling something using it, just don't think it's a useful forum for discussion. Kayroo's tweets are always excellent, but as in real life he's the exception to the norm.

Comment

Ha. Glad you noticed. For a rather complicated work reason I can't post on twitter until Oct 1st. Although am slightly debating how healthy twitter is full stop.
                              It's not healthy at all really and you get into way too many tit for tats with morons.

Comment

€1250 gain in last week or so on the €3000 schrounged together for ethereum over the course of lockdown due to reduced living expenses. I presume it'll be all gone next week, but still.
                                The second someone resurrects the Crypto thread here, Sell like a MoFo.

Comment

Comment

Commerciality I think he means.

With the right font size 'commerciability' is 14mm longer than 'commerciality'
                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

It's not healthy at all really and you get into way too many tit for tats with morons.
                                        There's potentially a commercial benefit from me being part of that. Public policy type stuff, media stuff. Not sure it's worth it though, or that I'm that interested in that whole sphere. Mainly as it doesn't pay well enough.

Comment

And maybe it's good practice to have experience of debating ideas. Keeps you on your tippy toes.

Comment

And maybe it's good practice to have experience of debating ideas. Keeps you on your tippy toes.
                                            Yeah but twitter isn't where that happens. Did you even go to the Phil Soc debates when you were at Trinners? Only one I vaguely remember was when they wanted to induct either Flippy the dolphin, or Skippy the bush Kangaroo, as a member. Though the debates were always better than the twitterbox version.

Comment

Lol my weirdest memory of Trinity is stopping off there mid cross city pub crawl to fill up the liquid nitrogen on an experiment my drinking buddy was running, and it needed topping up every 8 hours or so.

Comment

Runners or fans of inspirational Irish lads

Shane Healy

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2JH...Qz2N2-zIz2Rrqg

Comment

Yeah but twitter isn't where that happens. Did you even go to the Phil Soc debates when you were at Trinners? Only one I vaguely remember was when they wanted to induct either Flippy the dolphin, or Skippy the bush Kangaroo, as a member. Though the debates were always better than the twitterbox version.
                                                  The reality is twitter is where it does happen. And Facebook. Not in The Phil. That's what Sinn Fein have worked out so well. The debate is no longer sophisticated. It's short and sharp and often incomplete. Debate is not even happening in newspapers anymore. Journalists just read twitter to see what arguments they should mimic.

Comment

No Twitter, no Trump.

Comment

Hitch - with your expertise in AI. Do you think in 30 years time there will be human programmers?

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                        Hitch - with your expertise in AI. Do you think in 30 years time there will be human programmers?
                                                        100% No.

Comment

Just to say that is a million miles away from where it needs to be to replace humans in any capacity but if that is where we are now then talking about 30 years in the future it is a given.

Comment

Skippy. Not even a contest.

Comment

Less Tests = Less Cases ?

"Leader of the free world" is an utter gobshite. Danny Healy Rae would be embarrassed by that.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                Less Tests = Less Cases ?

"Leader of the free world" is an utter gobshite. Danny Healy Rae would be embarrassed by that.
                                                                I thought this was a post from a month ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                  I wouldn't say I have expertise really. But I'd imagine programmers will almost certainly still exist, they'll be just doing less fundamental coding and more logic connections. Every use case for code can be just so different, especially when they connect to the offline world, that we'll still need a human brain to draw together that human understanding of the real world into a coding environment.

Comment

So my first post on the shiny new site. It looks like the lockdown made everyone here into carpenters so here was my offering.

Comment

Hmm that's just knocked the gloss off it for me. How do I post a pic?

Comment

Originally posted by Cuchulainn1 View Post
                                                                        Hmm that's just knocked the gloss off it for me. How do I post a pic?
                                                                        CLhbxfcl.jpg

Comment

I wouldn't say I have expertise really. But I'd imagine programmers will almost certainly still exist, they'll be just doing less fundamental coding and more logic connections. Every use case for code can be just so different, especially when they connect to the offline world, that we'll still need a human brain to draw together that human understanding of the real world into a coding environment.
                                                                          Same as all jobs. They will exist just in tiny numbers compared to now.

Comment

Thanks CC, appreciate that.

Comment

You made that?! Jaysus, that's very smart looking

Comment

Now required to enter all your social media accounts to get a visa waiver for the US. Thankfully IPB isn't on the list quite yet. That's shocking stuff though.

Comment

This New York Times U.F.O. stuff starting to get very interesting , hard to know if it’s real or some sort of distraction/disinfo
                                                                                  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/28/i...=home-featured

We were provided a series of unclassified slides showing that the program took t seriously enough to include it in numerous briefings. One slide says one of the program’s tasks was to “arrange for access to data/reports/materials from crash retrievals of A.A.V.’s,” or advanced aerospace vehicles.

Our sources told us that “A.A.V.” does not refer to vehicles made in any country — not Russian or Chinese — but is used to mean technology in the realm of the truly unexplained. They also assure us that their briefings are based on facts, not belief.
                                                                                  “PSV was right all along” -Hitch 20 May 2019

Comment

Now required to enter all your social media accounts to get a visa waiver for the US. Thankfully IPB isn't on the list quite yet. That's shocking stuff though.
                                                                                    What does anyone get out of having a Facebook account? Why can responsible adults who can see the damage it’s doing to society not just ditch it , it’s not like driving cars , taking flights or eating meat where giving up/reducing is a significant sacrifice
                                                                                    “PSV was right all along” -Hitch 20 May 2019

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                      This New York Times U.F.O. stuff starting to get very interesting , hard to know if it’s real or some sort of distraction/disinfo
                                                                                      https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/28/i...=home-featured

We were provided a series of unclassified slides showing that the program took t seriously enough to include it in numerous briefings. One slide says one of the program’s tasks was to “arrange for access to data/reports/materials from crash retrievals of A.A.V.’s,” or advanced aerospace vehicles.

Our sources told us that “A.A.V.” does not refer to vehicles made in any country — not Russian or Chinese — but is used to mean technology in the realm of the truly unexplained. They also assure us that their briefings are based on facts, not belief.
                                                                                      Finally a real challenge emerges for the Sam Maguire

Comment

Wtf was this all about Nicky, holy shit. Was he trying to burgle your gaff?

Comment

Also, who settles into a movie at 4am ye looper

Comment

Is that weeds growing on his patio?

Comment

I don't really get how one successful manned flight certifies SpaceX for safe manned space travel. Its all good, but the Russians have been successfully and safely sending everyone to the International Space Station since it began. It just doesn't seem madly innovative, even if its a necessary basic step towards Musks space conquest plans.

Comment

You made that?! Jaysus, that's very smart looking
                                                                                                thanks Hitch. Final figure money wise was €1100 for materials and about between 70-80 hours labour.
                                                                                                I put up a thread in the DIY forum on boards and I'll link to it rather than try to post pics here again!

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/20580...#post113796599

Comment

Another great Docu on 1
                                                                                                  The Irish Cycling Olympic civil war in the 70s
                                                                                                  https://open.spotify.com/episode/4wU...SnKzx24G-Fjj_A

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                    Wtf was this all about Nicky, holy shit. Was he trying to burgle your gaff?

Was hoping not to see it posted here. Imagine Kayroo seeing the here/hear.

He was off his box, I was 50/50 if on the rob. He knew APT address so could have been looking for someone he knew having a bit of a session.

Had to cut through his laces and bottoms, he was rightly fucked, I don't think he has a hope of getting out himself. Was definitely there a good ten minutes as I'd herd a noise but didn't pay any attention until a bit later when I herd the yelps of help.

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                    Also, who settles into a movie at 4am ye looper
                                                                                                    Ah I've always operated on poker hours. Bed around 5/6 am up 12/1 would be general routine. I'd have dinner around nine too

Is that weeds growing on his patio?
                                                                                                    I own a first floor Apt that's built on an old wharf, more or less in the river. There's a three meter unused area between the buildings and wharf edge. It gets cleared once a year but agree that does looks particularly bad.

It's a great spot, quiet cul de sac a stone throw from center of town. I bought the place over three year ago and loved it here since the day I moved in.

Photo is view from my living room.
                                                                                                    Last edited by nicnicnic; 02-08-20, 22:43.

Comment

Originally posted by nicnicnic View Post
                                                                                                      Had to cut through his laces and bottoms, he was rightly fucked, I don't think he has a hope of getting out himself.
                                                                                                      Did he at least try take off his runner and bottoms while dangling there?

Comment

Originally posted by nicnicnic View Post

Was hoping not to see it posted here. Imagine Kayroo seeing the here/hear.
                                                                                                        paddy-look-at-that-flock-of-cows-murphy-herd-of-13396062.png

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

It probably wasn't the right time for relaxing.

Comment

Mrs D3 stays in that hotel round the corner when she's down in Waaaaaherford for work nicnic. Must tell her that those apartments are tricky to rob.

Comment

This idea of going travelling and having your partner carry all the bags (due to healing chest) is some life. Hadn't realised quite how well I was treating the wife in prior trips. The life of reilly.
                                                                                                              ​​​​​​

Comment

150 days to the end of the Brexit transition period and no real sniff of a deal. Or even the genuine inclination to make one.

The UK is ultra-fucked. What remains to be seen is how much of the shit from their implosion sticks to us.

Comment

It probably wasn't the right time for relaxing.
                                                                                                                  Why not?
                                                                                                                  He was just going to be hanging around.

Comment

I remember that happened a guy climbing into the apartments blocks in DCU, except he impailed himself through his calf.

Comment

150 days to the end of the Brexit transition period and no real sniff of a deal. Or even the genuine inclination to make one.

The UK is ultra-fucked. What remains to be seen is how much of the shit from their implosion sticks to us.
                                                                                                                      Do your Belgian contacts indicate its going to be a standard European thing of a deal at 3am on the last relevant day, or its serious this time? Because if they genuinely don't do a deal it'll be a first for Europe. They always strikes a deal at the last moment and spend every minute up to the last moment saying there will never be a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

First thing I said to him was you have to get the runner off. I'd say on a freezing night with no one about this genius was a goner before he realised that was the easy out. Can't ever see him making a career as a contortionist.

Comment

Do your Belgian contacts indicate its going to be a standard European thing of a deal at 3am on the last relevant day, or its serious this time? Because if they genuinely don't do a deal it'll be a first for Europe. They always strikes a deal at the last moment and spend every minute up to the last moment saying there will never be a deal.
                                                                                                                          I'm not sure how true any of this is - there have been plenty of occasions when they didn't do a deal with Japan, Canada, Switzerland or the USA. Ok they 'eventually' did a deal but lots of times your 3am marker passed with no deal and they came back 12/18 months later and got the deal the next time.
                                                                                                                          The difference those times was everyone had a generally acceptable 'status quo' to fall back on. This time they don't have such a fall-back position so it's uncharted territory. The UK side have chosen not to extend the status quo, have indeed put this into law.

It seems to me various 'high ups' on the London side don't understand this and think that things continue on as normal until a deal gets done. And others, people of influence, actively want no deal to happen. So it's all much different to the normal situation where everyone is at least negotiating in good faith.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X