• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        Wow that's empty. Barely even recognised it as Grafton Street without everyone on it.
        Yeah, really expected more teenagers and skate boarding types. Didn't even know the front gates of Trinity were still closed.

Comment

Got a pack of half coronas while I was there. Only realising now that that may have been a dodgy request up there with fork handles.

Comment

Comment

Question for kayroo. Looking at the public tax defaulters list. Is "miss use of marked mineral oil" code for something else or it is just a very common tax evasion trick?
              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                Question for kayroo. Looking at the public tax defaulters list. Is "miss use of marked mineral oil" code for something else or it is just a very common tax evasion trick?
                ?width=630&version=2626188.jpg

Comment

Haven’t a notion. I don’t do a lick of tax work.

EDIT: Quick look at the list and a google makes it clear it’s the official designation for diesel laundering.
                  Last edited by Kayroo; 28-07-20, 22:09.
                  You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

Haven’t a notion. I don’t do a lick of tax work.

EDIT: Quick look at the list and a google makes it clear it’s the official designation for diesel laundering.
                    Hmm, seem to be a very popular racket for some reason.
                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

I think it's often going to be simply using marked/green diesel in road vehicles, rather than diesel laundering.
                      Although diesel laundering may fall under the same general heading on the defaulters list, I'd imagine the punishment would be considerable higher.
                      It's readily accessible all over the country. And the evidence is conveniently consumed in the act.
                      If you look at the defaulters list. Probably quite a few farmers on there, or similar agricultural jobs. Often you'll get a string of brothers , or the whole family.

Comment

For today's discussion I call on BENNY HIFI LAO LAO HJ and the likes to give us your top 5 fab chunes at the moment . Gospel chunes accepted but no debating the lyrics please Kayroo.

Comment

Is the Lazare HJ race today or did I miss it?

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                            You must have blinked Seb Coe Lazare and Hector Ovett both made Olympics qualifying times this morning . Locals in Newcastle thought there was a coursing event on .

Comment

They won the election
                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                For today's discussion I call on BENNY HIFI LAO LAO HJ and the likes to give us your top 5 fab chunes at the moment . Gospel chunes accepted but no debating the lyrics please Kayroo.
                                I think you would enjoy this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1OiCshWkV0https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1OiCshWkV0L

Comment

Surely at this stage there's a better way of managing a tax rebate on diesel for farmers?

Comment

Comment

I wonder how much of an issue diesel laundering or just not even bothering to wash it is financially in Ireland. I have been reading in the past week of the New York mob controlled petrol tax scam from the 80s which defrauded a billion a year.

Comment

Would be interested in a trip report on the race from the lads if they could be bothered, including training/preparation for the past few months during lockdown. Any issues with nerves etc.

Obviously interested in the race itself, initial pace, tactics, final push etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                          Saw her on , was it other voices 16/17. Nice quality to her voice . A bit of Dolores meets Gemma Hayes . I like her. I'm predictable I guess

Comment

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard are dominating Spotify for me at the moment. They have a lot of influences.

► FREE DOWNLOAD : http://kinggizzardandthelizardwizard.com► Follow King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard : https://kinggizzard.bandcamp.comhttps://soundcloud.co...
                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Decreed today to be Switching Day. One of my favourite days of the year.

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

whatever about TV, phone and B\B, electricity is just the biggest no-brainer auto-switch every 12 months

Comment

They pay regular price and then a refund transfer is initiated almost immediately to give them their discount providing they are within their annual allowance (allowance cap to avoid fraudulent use). We have a card like that here for health - hundreds of private and regional health insurers, millions of health professionals and pharmacies, tens of millions of health users - and it works like a charm. You normally pay at point of receiving health care and then get the money back in your bank account two days later. Doing the same for a few farmers and a few garages should be a piece of piss.
                                                  How would you ensure are only buying diesel for work use and not personal vehicles?
                                                  How do you ensure that the cap is exactly sufficient, without having surplus allowance to be used.
                                                  What about other marked diesel uses, like home heating fuel. Another allowance cap?

Seem like you’re just making it easier to abuse, and harder to get caught.

The medical card example doesn’t really hold up. As you are paying at point of use. Patients names, prescription name, etc can be verified.
                                                  I agree that there surely a better system. But I don’t think a discount card is the answer.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                      We ran it on Saturday. I came in just ahead of HJ.

Originally posted by dinekes
                                                      Would be interested in a trip report on the race from the lads if they could be bothered, including training/preparation for the past few months during lockdown. Any issues with nerves etc.

Obviously interested in the race itself, initial pace, tactics, final push etc.
                                                      I'm not sure about HJ but I didn't specifically train for 800m, as in do any specific 800 workouts. It was mostly a bit of fun, although I did have the usual pre race jitters. Have been loosely training for 5k for the last while so I knew I'd be there or thereabouts with it. Also ran a mile race a few weeks ago which gave me a target.

First time ever racing 800m. It was unbelievably tough. Had expected it to hurt but jesus it was pure torture. Only got to see stats from it when Garmin got sorted a couple of days ago. I went out way too fast. Ran the first 100m or so at 2:40km pace, which obv wasn't sustainable. Burn came on at about 350m, along with a deluge of rain. Thoughts of packing it in at about 600, was slowing considerably. Was running at 4:05km pace by 800.

In hindsight bad tactics, had nothing in me for a kick. Looking at Ciara Mageean running that 1:59 the other night and the strong kick she had through the final 200m, that's how it's supposed to be done

I probably should be aiming to go out at 3:30km pace and try kick the last 100.

Delighted with it though as hadn't had the chance to run much since the baby arrived. My mile time predicted 2:52 and I ran it in 2:48.

Soaked....

Last edited by Lazare; 29-07-20, 12:38.
                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Comment

There's surely a semi-decent case for ditching the TV bill altogether? Or at least just getting it down it the bare minimum number of channels to watch whatever sports you are in to. Can't imagine kids watch tv anymore (unless maybe there were a few years after the youtube generation), and everything except sports (which seem to be too inconvenient to not subscribe to) is easily accessed.

I find TV very confusing. Just endless choice, too much choice, but its all other people's choices rather than my choice.

We find that far too much of our bills now are going on online subs: Spotify, Netflix, DisneyPlus, Dropbox, Google Drive, Headspace, VPN, Office365, etc etc. Must be maybe up to 15 different subs. They don't seem all that negotiable either - no renewal discounts. Might give Netflix the heave-ho at some point soon as there's just not enough content on it. DisneyPlus will definitely be gone when the year is up as there's no content the kids find interesting. Dropbox and Google Drive seem obvious duplicates, and we have two different Dropboxes (mine and wife), so we could probably save maybe 25 a month by amalgamating them. Headspace is just a scam, but try telling the wife that. She even has an Evernote subscription for a rather large amount every month despite that service largely being shut down.
                                                          Well, Virgin threw in Sky Sports to keep us so I said grand (young lad big into soccer) and dropped the cost by €35 pm. Their broadband is better too.

TV: I personally don't watch much but Mrs D3 does and kids do use it too.
                                                          Only other subs we have are Netflix and Spotify. We all use Netflix. Spotify is probably only used by the teenager in any volume, I use it a bit.

So, it's <100 a month now for all forms of entertainment, including B/B, which is probably fine. Until I go shopping again next year.

Comment

Laz: I assume you are standing on HJ's corpse in that photo?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                              Laz: I assume you are standing on HJ's corpse in that photo?
                                                              Ha, was a standing corpse myself right after it

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard are dominating Spotify for me at the moment. They have a lot of influences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oek7d-6KtxU
                                                                They are crazy I'd imagine their gigs have a late 60s vibe . Deffo some LSD taken enjoyable though . Listening as I work. Need a hit now though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Ha, was a standing corpse myself right after it
                                                                  I used to pretend yellow mag was chasing me. Ask Danny/George who she was lol.

Comment

I'd imagine the fuel is already being used in both work and personal vehicles by farmers - a perk of being a farmer to make up for smelling like cowshit all the time!
                                                                    It is used personal vehicles, which is illegal. Hence why it’s dyed in the first place, so illegal use can be detected.

Surely there's a reasonable formula for working out how much fuel per acre and type of farming. Add in a bit of surplus in the allowances that may very well be used and abused, but not by much. It would be quite simple to do really.
                                                                    They already have to report how much they are buying. I imagine it’s monitored for irregularities. A special formula would not be accurate. It’s not just farming, it’s also construction, building generators, etc.

Your suggestion amounts to removing the dye and just accepting casual illegal use. Which would eliminate laundering, but increase casual use.

For home heating oil, regulation should already be handling that, I don't know why it isn't. Just put the legal onus on regulated fuel delivery companies to not deliver unreasonable amounts of oil to a given address. They need to work out what is reasonable and unreasonable based on historical data and cop on and are liable for obviously fraudulent misuse.
                                                                    A full tank is the most anyone can only deliver. Which is a reasonable amount. The customer fills the car from the tank, and gets a new delivery from a different company. Neither company will have usage figures without a central database.

Comment

Meant to add, got some endorphin rush after it.

Was like being on cocaine for the whole evening.

Comment

Comment

I'm loving this at the minute, think she is very good

Out Now: https://denisechaila.bandcamp.com/instagram.com/denisechailatwitter.com/denisechailaDirected by Mark LoganDirector of Photography - Kenneth AdamsPro...

Comment

Comment

Aliexpress giving me great recommendations

swastika men skinny pants Running Sweatpants Sportswear Joggers Tights Mens Gym Fitness Pants 2019 men Elastic Cotton Trousers
                                                                              https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...f-af38383b5395

Comment

...

Comment

<100 is highly acceptable. I was under the impression that Sky was an astronomical amount of money.
                                                                                  Well, I did give a masterclass in negotiation strategy to the Virgin call centre wan who had the misfortune to take my call.

I think Sky Sports is 30 a month on its own, and I ended up getting my standard monthly bill down from 110 to 75, with Sky Sports added in as well.

Comment

Well, Virgin threw in Sky Sports to keep us so I said grand (young lad big into soccer) and dropped the cost by €35 pm. Their broadband is better too.

TV: I personally don't watch much but Mrs D3 does and kids do use it too.
                                                                                    Only other subs we have are Netflix and Spotify. We all use Netflix. Spotify is probably only used by the teenager in any volume, I use it a bit.

So, it's <100 a month now for all forms of entertainment, including B/B, which is probably fine. Until I go shopping again next year.
                                                                                    Worth my while ringing Virgin? Currently on €119 a month for TV (3 Boxes), BB and phone (unlimited inc Abroad), no sports or anything.

Comment

Hoping to someday reach Bruton peak fitness level. The man is ripped.

one of my local TDs, decent guy. Unfortunately got kicked upstairs in the government formation as he was one of the top performing ministers of the last two administrations imo.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Worth my while ringing Virgin? Currently on €119 a month for TV (3 Boxes), BB and phone (unlimited inc Abroad), no sports or anything.
                                                                                          Definitely. My play was:
                                                                                          • do 1 minute's research on bonkers.ie to get a quote for switching
                                                                                          • call the Virgin 1908 number and wait some time on hold but eventually get through to the wan who deals with contract cancels
                                                                                          • she'll ask you why are you cancelling etc, say price. I am moving to Sky for xx p.m.
                                                                                          • she came back on her own bat to say, Ok yes we can cut you from 110 to 75 p.m.
                                                                                          • I hemmed and hawed and said, 'well Sky will give me Sky Sports but if you can do the same that might swing the deal'
                                                                                          • She then allegedly talked to her supervisor and came back with the good news

Job done

so yeah, just make the call really. I try to do this as soon as we go out of contract, this the first time in the new gaff.

Comment

you're like the guy who sits in a meeting and says why nothing better can ever be done. It's easily solvable, you're just pointing out data problems really not actual problems. Be a mellcan not a mellcant.
                                                                                            I’m not saying nothing better can be done.
                                                                                            I’m saying your suggestion was pretty poor and seamed to miss the point of why it’s dyed in the first place.
                                                                                            And they where simply the holes apparent to this city slicker.

It’s an outdated system, there is surely a better way. But I’ve no clue what that way is. Maybe a more agricultural mind type around here has more relevant hands on experience

Comment

Ha, the grin on boy-child's face when I said 'turn on the TV there and go to channel 407' (taking you to SS soccer channel)

Obviously I now get Father of the Year status, for er, giving him another excuse to stare at a screen for hours on end.

Comment

Ha, the grin on boy-child's face when I said 'turn on the TV there and go to channel 407' (taking you to SS soccer channel)

Obviously I now get Father of the Year status, for er, giving him another excuse to stare at a screen for hours on end.
                                                                                                You timing is shit Dad. The fecking season is over DAD

Comment

Its about time we saw Dublin getting some small bit of exposure as a place to go for your holiday in Ireland. The place is teeming with empty hotels and plenty of things to do.
                                                                                                  Must be hard to make the shift from decades of lazy marketing that promoted nothing more than puke and piss themed weekends.
                                                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

You timing is shit Dad. The fecking season is over DAD
                                                                                                    England just beat West Indies in a cracker of a series, don't know what you're talking about.

Comment

Definitely. My play was:
                                                                                                      • do 1 minute's research on bonkers.ie to get a quote for switching
                                                                                                      • call the Virgin 1908 number and wait some time on hold but eventually get through to the wan who deals with contract cancels
                                                                                                      • she'll ask you why are you cancelling etc, say price. I am moving to Sky for xx p.m.
                                                                                                      • she came back on her own bat to say, Ok yes we can cut you from 110 to 75 p.m.
                                                                                                      • I hemmed and hawed and said, 'well Sky will give me Sky Sports but if you can do the same that might swing the deal'
                                                                                                      • She then allegedly talked to her supervisor and came back with the good news

Job done

so yeah, just make the call really. I try to do this as soon as we go out of contract, this the first time in the new gaff.
                                                                                                      Been meaning to do that. Just rang Virgin and knocked 40 euro per month of the bill. Lost a few channels in the process but nothing i'll miss (losing ATR but I don't care about French racing...)

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                        Its about time we saw Dublin getting some small bit of exposure as a place to go for your holiday in Ireland. The place is teeming with empty hotels and plenty of things to do.
                                                                                                        Must be hard to make the shift from decades of lazy marketing that promoted nothing more than puke and piss themed weekends.
                                                                                                        I miss Dublin Suburbia. The smell of animal shite in the village here has me gagging at times . At least it can be escaped in Greater Dublin .

Comment

On the turntable the last few days...

1) CMAT - Another Day (KFC) and/or Rodney (watch with videos)
                                                                                                          2) A Certain Ratio - Won't Stop Loving You (w/Denise Johnson who just died)
                                                                                                          3) Carl Stone - Panchita ( https://unseenworlds.bandcamp.com/album/baroo )
                                                                                                          4) Robert Palmer - Through It All There's You
                                                                                                          5) SNFU - Wild World (skate punk Cat Stevens cover, singer just died also)

(Honorary mention for anything Prince from - 1999/Purple Rain/Sign O' The Times, as I'm reading a biography and marvelling at how he did it)

Comment

...

Comment

There's surely a semi-decent case for ditching the TV bill altogether? Or at least just getting it down it the bare minimum number of channels to watch whatever sports you are in to. Can't imagine kids watch tv anymore (unless maybe there were a few years after the youtube generation), and everything except sports (which seem to be too inconvenient to not subscribe to) is easily accessed.
                                                                                                              I ditched cable at the start of the year for Irish and UK Freeview via satellite. Cost about e300 to get installed but no bills, 100+ channels sealed the deal + dozens of radio stations.

Has its disadvantages - no dedicated sport, can only record in real time (ie. no scheduled/timer recording), you can't stop and rewind, poor menu

Advantages: no bills, great re-runs of old shows (Worth it to watch the re-runs of Minder alone) Kids TV is decent, great oldies film channels

Everything we need really (alongside Netflix) and it'll have paid for itself in September and free thereafter.

Probably won't suit if you're in an apartment unfortunately but highly recommended if you want to break the addiction of giving money away from mediocre content you mostly never consume (now I have free mediocre content I mostly never consume).

Comment

Should be simple to issue allowances to farmers on a secure card that they enter pin code of when buying diesel in a garage. They pay regular price and then a refund transfer is initiated almost immediately to give them their discount providing they are within their annual allowance (allowance cap to avoid fraudulent use). We have a card like that here for health - hundreds of private and regional health insurers, millions of health professionals and pharmacies, tens of millions of health users - and it works like a charm. You normally pay at point of receiving health care and then get the money back in your bank account two days later. Doing the same for a few farmers and a few garages should be a piece of piss.
                                                                                                                You are perhaps underestimating the number of farmers who have bank accounts or want anything to do with them.

Comment

Listening to a lot of old stuff... noise and soundtrackishy mostly

Last edited by Guest; 29-07-20, 16:58.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X