Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Why did you have to go to Vietnam for a month for your new job?
    That's just where the guy training me lives. The job is in online, in finance.
    Last edited by Hectorjelly; 28-06-20, 11:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
      Stephen Donnelly in health
      At least he's bald already.

He must have really pissed Martin off in the past.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Sweet Jesus if BT switched to making kids TV instead of sports programs they would make a fortune

Wall of fans waving and giving banal opinions, actual fucking grown-up's sitting at home waving to camera like 3 year old on a first trip to the zoo

Failing species, dying planet!
        PMA

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
          Sweet Jesus if BT switched to making kids TV instead of sports programs they would make a fortune

Wall of fans waving and giving banal opinions, actual fucking grown-up's sitting at home waving to camera like 3 year old on a first trip to the zoo

Failing species, dying planet!
          Imagine if you’d died face down in the mud on the Somme or on Normandy beaches and that’s what followed you
          “PSV was right all along” -Hitch 20 May 2019

Comment

0qpx06778o751.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post

Imagine if you’d died face down in the mud on the Somme or on Normandy beaches and that’s what followed you
              This is what our Rugby boys do for you. And just look how you repay them.

Comment

'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'

Comment

Anyone with recommendations for a personal accountant to give some tax advice? Specifically re living in Ireland / working out of Ireland. When to move tax residency/domicile etc.

PMs welcome!

Comment

Bowie Glastonbury 2000 Wowie
                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Cant be real can it

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                        Followed by the new genius of our generation Ed Sheeran

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                          All my friends went to that. I did not, still bitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

All my friends went to that. I did not, still bitter.
                            Have you been since? What do you make of the Glasto experience in comparison to other festivals? Done loads of festivals but nothing ever compares on the scale, atmosphere, and variety on offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

Have you been since? What do you make of the Glasto experience in comparison to other festivals? Done loads of festivals but nothing ever compares on the scale, atmosphere, and variety on offer.
                              I've never been to Glastonbury which is a bit odd given how much live music I've gone to over the years. It's never held a massive appeal for me other than around that period when my mates went a couple of years in a row.

The scale of it is what puts me off as my festival experience revolves around getting to see as many acts as possible. Glasto sounds too big to comfortably manage it. I'll bang on about how good primavera is for that til the cows come home.

Reading 2000 was my consolation prize for not making it to Glastonbury, that was a hell of a festival

Comment

Five K
                                Warmed up, ready, in a skin soaked singlet, dripping with June morning rain.

Push the button on the mat and bounce with hope and bluster.

Striding the centre of the road, a camber either side.

Splashing summer puddle water cooling on my calf.

Reeling in and reeling out, confidence and casting doubt.

Bluster broken a mile inside, the distance is in charge.

Rain sheltered scattered applause as the turn is met,
                                headed now for home.

Eyes not meeting those behind, all focusing on the pain.

The last mile and the hope lifts, the pain dulls and
                                the brain shifts, into what ifs, into calculations, into permutations, into the last stretch, into the final few, the gantry view, the best is on if I can only push, if I can only squeeze, if I can only get there.

The clock turns, while my heart burns.

If I can only get there.
                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

PMA

Comment

I want something a bit more heroic of a Monday morning

maybe repurpose Horatius on the bridge to something topical

Alone stood brave Hectorius,
                                    But constant still in mind,
                                    — Thrice 250 metres road before,
                                    And the broad Liffey behind.
                                    “Down with him!” cried false Solksjaer,
                                    With a smile on his pale face;
                                    “Now yield thee,” cried Lazare Porsena,
                                    “Now yield thee to our grace!”

etc and so forth

Comment

Indeed.

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

This is why people think Twitter is for idiots. Who gives a shit either way?

Comment

Spotted Denny in town

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                            This is why people think Twitter is for idiots. Who gives a shit either way?
                                            I think you'll find that in the pantheon of twitter discourse, that correct definitions of words is about as high-brow as it comes.

Comment

Comment

Took a stroll into town on Saturday afternoon to have a look at the new Toons Bridge shop on George's St. It's a good set up and while not cheap, it's probably about what you expect to pay for that kind of produce. Picked up a few cheeses, some meats and some pesto which were mostly consumed Saturday night with the remained polished off on Sunday. They had run out of bread so I popped around to La Maison who are selling freshly made bread - Hard to go wrong with €1.50 for a baguette and €3.50 for a sourdough. We also picked up an ice cream in three twenty on Drury St and stopped to eat it.

It seems that Drury St, South William, Exchequer St, & Wicklow St, Castle Market, Coppinger Row, Clarendon St, Chatham Row and Chatham St have become one large outdoor walking pub with a few bars selling take-away pints and cocktails that then must be drank at least 100m away from the premises. This was leading to a few crowds building up and Gardai from the Public Order Group were going around telling them they had to move on. They weren't saying they couldn't drink on the street, just that they had to move on. This led to people just walking around drinking pints which was a bit bizarre. We saw one couple three times walking around drinking the same drink.

Each to their own and all but I just don't see the point to this, especially as with nowhere open to use the toilet, this will surely become an issue sooner or later?

Comment

I just don't get the idea of paying €6 for a pint of lager to get it in a plastic glass from a pub, compared to €2 for the same drink in a can. Much handier to walk around with and has to be better quality. Same with those pre-mixed cocktails that some pubs were selling as takeaway for a tenner. You pay for the place to drink, not for the quality of the drink except in the very rarest of circumstances.

Comment

Everything so far, from packing some nice books to read, making sure Google Drive has some decent shows to catch up on, to the hotel-style check in at the hospital, has failed to persuade me I'm not off on a nice holiday. Will just try to keep up that pretence for the next two days until brutal reality in the form of a surgeons saw kicks in.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                      Everything so far, from packing some nice books to read, making sure Google Drive has some decent shows to catch up on, to the hotel-style check in at the hospital, has failed to persuade me I'm not off on a nice holiday. Will just try to keep up that pretence for the next two days until brutal reality in the form of a surgeons saw kicks in.
                                                      Best of luck you'll be soon back on your feet . If you do die unexpectedly remember we still have your poems to read.

2020 these things are a daily procedure - be grand . I'll get da mudder to light a candle for you . GG WP HH

Comment

a few days of morphine on tap is always a holiday in my book!!!

best of luck with it

Comment

I just don't get the idea of paying €6 for a pint of lager to get it in a plastic glass from a pub, compared to €2 for the same drink in a can. Much handier to walk around with and has to be better quality. Same with those pre-mixed cocktails that some pubs were selling as takeaway for a tenner. You pay for the place to drink, not for the quality of the drink except in the very rarest of circumstances.
                                                          To be fair even Temple Bar appears to have regressed a lot in with the 3 month closure....

Comment

Well I've definitely got a better surgeon than the guy I'm sharing a room with. He's up tomorrow morning and he's just this very moment getting a chat explaining really basic stuff which seems to be a surprise to him, like that he needs to have the chest opened up.

Comment

Best of luck tomorrow Hitch, all will be good !
                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

To be fair even Temple Bar appears to have regressed a lot in with the 3 month closure....
                                                                I used to drive a Renault 4 just like that one, amazing car.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                  Anyone with recommendations for a personal accountant to give some tax advice? Specifically re living in Ireland / working out of Ireland. When to move tax residency/domicile etc.

PMs welcome!
                                                                  Talk to Marc Westlake in Globalwealth.ie
                                                                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Well I've definitely got a better surgeon than the guy I'm sharing a room with. He's up tomorrow morning and he's just this very moment getting a chat explaining really basic stuff which seems to be a surprise to him, like that he needs to have the chest opened up.
                                                                    The very best of luck man. It's always a lovely feeling to wake up after an operation - the world will be brighter, things will feel, and be, much better. And, be sure, you will wake up better than when you went asleep. It's all good, and will be better afterwards.

Comment

Bol hitch!
                                                                      "The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity."

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

Talk to Marc Westlake in Globalwealth.ie
                                                                        Think I may be too small a fish for him!

Comment

Good luck with the gender reassignment surgery Hitch. We won't tell Graham Linehan.
                                                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

BOL brother.
                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

ahhhhh, another 16 hour day draws to a close

this shit better be worth it

Comment

Best of luck Hitch, hope all goes well for you.
                                                                                'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

...#JeSuisHitch...

Comment

If I could inject coffee into my eyeballs, I probably would at this stage.

Comment

I might be wrong but I think today is the last day the UK can legally request an extension of the transition arrangement.

Brexit hasn't gone away you know...

Comment

There was a professor called Hitch
                                                                                        Whose chest really hurt like a bitch
                                                                                        He went for in for an op
                                                                                        To give his arteries a mop
                                                                                        But the doc gave his gender a switch

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                          There was a professor called Hitch
                                                                                          Whose chest really hurt like a bitch
                                                                                          He went for in for an op
                                                                                          To give his arteries a mop
                                                                                          But the doc gave his gender a switch

A patient by the name of Hitch Dowling,
                                                                                          Told to curb his drinking and prowling,
                                                                                          TO make a good Start , they’ll fix up his heart
                                                                                          But that 2nd line , that’s why he’s howling.

Comment

There was an Irish professor in Rennes
                                                                                            whose heart was in need of a mend
                                                                                            He'd often use twitter
                                                                                            while perched on the shitter
                                                                                            but now will be sending his tweets from Depends.
                                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Good luck Hitch!

Comment

The very best of luck buddy
                                                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Goodluck2you

Comment

Has anyone started using hey?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                      The Faroe Island phone company?

Comment

Just received a €30 cheque from Axa as some kind of Covid refund. Also something from Aliexpress that I ordered on Feb 19th that I'd given up on. Happy days

Comment

Don't see the need for another email client, looks like a very minor improvement on gmail that you have to pay cash for.

In any case he lost me at IMbox GTFO

Comment

Bonne chance Le Hitch.

Comment

Read a review by someone in the FT saying it was a minor improvement over parts of gmail, but the improvements didn't really work. He'd been given one of the invites.

Comment

Security alert . The patient has jumped off the trolley again. Cover all exits . I said to lock the meds cabinet didn't I.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Think I may be too small a fish for him!
                                                                                                                  Up to yourself. He’s a guy who loves sharing his knowledge so if you pitch yourself right (as a young up and comer and potentially long term client) and he has a bit of time he’s very well placed to give you a lot of very valuable advice about using residency and jurisdictions to your advantage. He actually struggles to connect with really wealthy folk IMO as he’s a bit of a policy wonk and really rich people aren’t in to the details they just want their shit sorted.

As an aside It’s a very rare combination of adviser who can connect with clients and be on top of the real nitty gritty details. Often makes me smile because the person who can connect with clients will be 3-4 times more successful then the technically “better” adviser.

That’s life I guess. I was watching a networking seminar last week and the presenter was espousing a PIE philosophy. P = performance and was only 10% of your career success in his view. I = Image, as in how good we are perceived to be at the job and was 30% of career success and E = exposure, which was how much recognition we got for being good at our jobs and was 60% of career success.

The numbers are high and most won’t agree but they make some sort of sense to me when I look at folk who have highly successful careers. Anyway it gave me a bit of boost to continue my various sustainable self promotion efforts.
                                                                                                                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Classy move by Magnus with a 150K payday up for grabs

Wasn't as 100% clear that the position was drawn with black under time pressure anyway, there were some tricks he may have used to push ding into a blunder

Comment

Brag: 3 Leaves for dinner on Friday, dinner from Night Market today. Both excellent

Comment

Read a review by someone in the FT saying it was a minor improvement over parts of gmail, but the improvements didn't really work. He'd been given one of the invites.
                                                                                                                        Was just going to post my good luck message and seen you posting! has it been cancelled or postponed or was it just so easy you are back up and posting right away

Comment

Staring to get somewhere with my whole allergies issue. I was seen by the Oncology centre in March or April and they said they were going to do all the tests to see if I had Mastocytosis or not. Due to it being a condition that is detected when the mast cells are activated, it is very difficult to catch. Another option is the bone marrow test which I was scared of.
                                                                                                                          They did so many tests here and they did a few that were being sent abroad. I got a call from the Dr on the 15th of June to tell me they had the results. She starts the conversation telling me that the tests they did were all fine and I was deflated as I was hoping for an answer to my horrific reactions. Then she tells me that one of the tests they sent abroad has come back showing that I have a problem somewhere as the level in this test was very high (IGE) and I was going to be seen by the specialist.

I have been told it is an auto-immune condition, but they don't know exactly what. They said the test result basically backed up my history of severe reactions and anaphylaxis.
                                                                                                                          I have also been told that it is most possibly the reason why I still have a damaged hip 3½ years after my ballet accident and why my tennis elbow just isn't shifting. My body is just overreacting (typical wimmin eh Willie? )

Hopefully, I will have answers soon, they still can't confirm or deny the mastocytosis as the Tryptase test was negative, the protein(??) is only in the blood for about 48hrs after having a reaction and I haven't had one in a while. But they said no bone marrow test for now.

We are all getting old guys and falling to bits!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X