Banner Ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Lockdown City

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
    If your household pulls in 100k a year you're in the top 14% of incomes in the state. I struggle with that. It doesn't feel real that we're in the upper percentile the data says we are. Because we're surrounded by circles of friends in similar situations.
    Probably because you are paying punitive income taxes?

    I can't say this often enough; the top 5% of earners pay over 55% of all income taxes. The bottom 50% pay fuck all.

    If you want to fund big programs, maybe that curve should be evened-up?
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

    Comment


      Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post

      Your whole post .
      Couple of things.

      I never said there wasn’t a housing crisis. Only an idiot would say that. You appear to be ascribing an argument to me that I am not making and I don’t know why.

      The reasons I asked for your workings was that your argument appears to have a *scene missing* element to it. I honestly want to know how you arrived there and you fobbed me off by saying you don’t care if I agree with you. That’s fine but be mindful that it makes you the dismissive one, not me.

      I agree that the avocado argument is nonsense. But that’s not the argument I am making. I am saying it’s hard to have it all. To live a life that involves a nice car, holiday abroad, eating out in restaurants regularly, plenty of trips to the theatre and cinema etc is absolutely fine. But that involves a choice about allocation of resources. It’s a legitimate and perfectly reasonable choice. My argument was with those who want that AND think that in spite of that choice they should also be able to purchase their own home (an exceptional expenditure in almost everyone’s life) without any change in their lifestyle. I am not saying housing shouldn’t be affordable, and at the moment it’s really pushing the boundaries of that concept, but even if housing prices dropped to more reasonable levels, that would still involve personal choices being made as to the allocation of income. But whenever anyone makes that argument they are pilloried for it. And I do not understand why when it is demonstrably true.
      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

      Comment


        Just to be fair Lloyd is talking about First time buyers with an average job being priced out. That's you single income teacher, nurse or garda.

        I dont think its fair to lump in Paddy on the dole looking for a garden as part of the same conversation. Those people do exist but in much smaller numbers than people think. I dont think Lloyd has ever said lets reward people who game the social welfare system at any stage.

        Comment


          Incredibly irresponsible journalism from the Irish times
          country folk need to fight back on this, I’m thinking of setting up an organisation to drive any dubs who move into my area out, anyone in any other counties want to set up a chapter?

          activism Might have to go as far as sabotaging broadband cables so these people can’t work from home

          likes of Kerry, Clare, Connemara will be destroyed if this picks up pace


          Tired of the rat race? Here’s why it could be time to move to the country
          via The Irish Times
          https://www.Irish times.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/tired-of-the-rat-race-here-s-why-it-could-be-time-to-move-to-the-country-1.4274433
          “PSV was right all along” -Hitch 20 May 2019

          Comment


            Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
            Incredibly irresponsible journalism from the Irish times
            country folk need to fight back on this, I’m thinking of setting up an organisation to drive any dubs who move into my area out, anyone in any other counties want to set up a chapter?

            activism Might have to go as far as sabotaging broadband cables so these people can’t work from home

            likes of Kerry, Clare, Connemara will be destroyed if this picks up pace


            Tired of the rat race? Here’s why it could be time to move to the country
            via The Irish Times
            https://www.Irish times.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/tired-of-the-rat-race-here-s-why-it-could-be-time-to-move-to-the-country-1.4274433
            Rural ireland is coming like a ghost town .

            Comment


              Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

              Rural ireland is coming like a ghost town .
              Only when you remind them of the five in a row
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

              Comment


                I’m planning to head down to Dublin 293 in Sept and hope to run the Ronnie Drew Beach 5k (formerly known as Inch Beach) . It looks cool. Any other Dubs (or extended Dubs) ran this 5k. How many runner does it normally get. Mainly tourists?

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

                  Only when you remind them of the five in a row
                  I wouldn't have pegged you as a GAA fan.

                  I don't really follow it but it looks to me that Dublin could make that ten in a row. Kinda reminds me of China and table tennis. The population gap is so large they should win every year shouldn't they?
                  'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                    Just to be fair Lloyd is talking about First time buyers with an average job being priced out. That's you single income teacher, nurse or garda.

                    I dont think its fair to lump in Paddy on the dole looking for a garden as part of the same conversation. Those people do exist but in much smaller numbers than people think. I dont think Lloyd has ever said lets reward people who game the social welfare system at any stage.
                    Oh to be clear I assumed this. I never took Lloyd to be saying anything else. But I think Mellor’s point stands and is probably the most sensible thing any of us has said on the topic.
                    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                      I wouldn't have pegged you as a GAA fan.

                      I don't really follow it but it looks to me that Dublin could make that ten in a row. Kinda reminds me of China and table tennis. The population gap is so large they should win every year shouldn't they?
                      shouldn't they have won every year for the last hundred in that case?
                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                        Incredibly irresponsible journalism from the Irish times
                        country folk need to fight back on this, I’m thinking of setting up an organisation to drive any dubs who move into my area out, anyone in any other counties want to set up a chapter?

                        activism Might have to go as far as sabotaging broadband cables so these people can’t work from home

                        likes of Kerry, Clare, Connemara will be destroyed if this picks up pace


                        Tired of the rat race? Here’s why it could be time to move to the country
                        via The Irish Times
                        https://www.Irish times.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/tired-of-the-rat-race-here-s-why-it-could-be-time-to-move-to-the-country-1.4274433
                        It's alright they only know about Westport

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                          I’m planning to head down to Dublin 293 in Sept and hope to run the Ronnie Drew Beach 5k (formerly known as Inch Beach) . It looks cool. Any other Dubs (or extended Dubs) ran this 5k. How many runner does it normally get. Mainly tourists?
                          I did it over Christmas actually. There were about 50 doing it that day - it was the 28th - a fairly fine day but very windy. It's a lovely beach in fairness but I'm not mad about the straight out and back kind of course. The one around the Town Park in Tralee is very nice actually if are around to try two. We did that one Christmas morning and there was a great buzz, there was nearly 300 doing it.

                          Comment


                            Man, there's just light years of difference in quality between Barilla Academia pasta and other pastas.

                            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Keane View Post

                              I did it over Christmas actually. There were about 50 doing it that day - it was the 28th - a fairly fine day but very windy. It's a lovely beach in fairness but I'm not mad about the straight out and back kind of course. The one around the Town Park in Tralee is very nice actually if are around to try two. We did that one Christmas morning and there was a great buzz, there was nearly 300 doing it.
                              Sounds great . Cheers pity these things all happen on the same day.

                              Comment


                                Go onto airbnb, search all of Ireland for my preferred dates

                                First property returned is in Nobber.

                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                Comment


                                  Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

                                  shouldn't they have won every year for the last hundred in that case?
                                  Well I think they should have won most of them. Obviously the coaching was lolbad and from what I've been told there were not many clubs in Dublin up until about thirty or forty years ago. The clubs were recruiting county footballers from every other county in the country. Maybe that helped them improve over time, I don't know but clearly now that they have pretty much a professional setup and a much bigger pool to pick from and more money they should be dominating every year. I don't think you need a great coach, just a decent standard one to keep winning. I'm not for one second saying that Jim Gavin, I think that's his name, is not a great coach just that there is such a gap in nearly everything that they should keep winning even with just a good coach.
                                  'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

                                  Comment


                                    I was offered 1500 punts as a signing on fee for a Dublin GAA Club in the 90's with a place in UCD organised to go along with it. Was average enough midfielder in a very low tier club at the time
                                    Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                    https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

                                    Comment


                                      Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                                      Well I think they should have won most of them. Obviously the coaching was lolbad and from what I've been told there were not many clubs in Dublin up until about thirty or forty years ago. The clubs were recruiting county footballers from every other county in the country. Maybe that helped them improve over time, I don't know but clearly now that they have pretty much a professional setup and a much bigger pool to pick from and more money they should be dominating every year. I don't think you need a great coach, just a decent standard one to keep winning. I'm not for one second saying that Jim Gavin, I think that's his name, is not a great coach just that there is such a gap in nearly everything that they should keep winning even with just a good coach.
                                      Funny they are pushed so close every time . Maybe that's a failure on the Dubs part. All these poor badly funded counties like Mayo and Kerry only losing by the bare amount. Sure tis a testament to those country boys big hearts so it is.

                                      Comment


                                        Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

                                        Funny they are pushed so close every time . Maybe that's a failure on the Dubs part. All these poor badly funded counties like Mayo and Kerry only losing by the bare amount. Sure tis a testament to those country boys big hearts so it is.
                                        Are you of the opinion that I'm one of those country boys? I'm from Dublin just to clear that up.

                                        A bit like the rugby I think it's a case where we should have five teams. Dublin and then the four provinces. GAA being like that would probably give the other provinces a chance of winning, given that the Dubs are pretty much a fully professional outfit at this stage.
                                        'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

                                        Comment


                                          Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                          Man, there's just light years of difference in quality between Barilla Academia pasta and other pastas.
                                          Di Martino is the best one I've tried and my go to.
                                          “The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.” - Bertrand Russell

                                          Comment


                                            Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                                            Are you of the opinion that I'm one of those country boys? I'm from Dublin just to clear that up.

                                            A bit like the rugby I think it's a case where we should have five teams. Dublin and then the four provinces. GAA being like that would probably give the other provinces a chance of winning, given that the Dubs are pretty much a fully professional outfit at this stage.

                                            Comment


                                              Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                              Just to be fair Lloyd is talking about First time buyers with an average job being priced out. That's you single income teacher, nurse or garda.

                                              I dont think its fair to lump in Paddy on the dole looking for a garden as part of the same conversation. Those people do exist but in much smaller numbers than people think. I dont think Lloyd has ever said lets reward people who game the social welfare system at any stage.
                                              Fair point, it's hard to know what to do with the teacher/nurse/garda - I guess not living in Dublin is your best bet.

                                              Comment


                                                Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

                                                Fair point, it's hard to know what to do with the teacher/nurse/garda - I guess not living in Dublin is your best bet.
                                                Sure don't they usually go to Coppers and mingle with their own sort, thus producing a financially viable housing unit?
                                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                                Comment


                                                  Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                  What's untrammelled?

                                                  Does it have to be in a "good area", does it have to be a house or would an apartment do? Does it have to have en-suites or is a shared bathroom ok?

                                                  Genuine Q's because i'm not sure the answer wouldn't be "no" for most people.
                                                  The state needs to start by providing social and affordable housing at volume. That's their responsibility. It should be in a mix of areas; it should be a mix of housing types and configurations. It won't always be what people want or dreamed of but it will be there nonetheless. A functioning economy depends on it. Metro (particularly the green line extension) aid the effort as we can build mixed type high density further out from the city centre while still being within 20 or 30 minutes of it. Maybe you didn't plan on living in an affordable house near swords but if it's there and you can hop on a high speed high frequency train into the city centre for work and you can't get any other option sorted you will.

                                                  Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                  Also for those of you who are calling for more social housing what I can't seem to get my head around is that the standard of house there should be better than those privately owned, otherwise I see an obvious moral hazard that you're better off waiting/stalling to get one for free. FWIW both of my parent grew up in tiny council houses and they would agree, because it meant they were rewarded for their hard work. The other thing that amazes them is that the upkeep of their house was impeccable and you couldn't so much as paint your front door a different colour without permission from the council but nowadays you've got council houses being destroyed (eye-witnessed on number of occasions) with no repercussions. Do you think untrammeled access should be given to people who've wrecked a previous house?
                                                  I think a lot of time gets spent worrying about moral hazards and - whether the arguments stack up or not - some people hate the idea of someone getting something nice for free or cheap. The standard of house should be high because the state is going to own and operate the housing stock for decades into the future. Building them to a high spec will pay off over the long haul. They're still managing large swathes of stock built 90 years ago and I don't expect it will be much different this time around.

                                                  In any case it feeds into your former point. People will always desire customisation and there will always be incentive to get something better. But the issues created over a 30 year period since the state withdrew from its responsibilities as a major builder is a lack of stock for a certain cohort of the market. We are very focussed on the current system and everything that surrounds it but it's only been with us for ~35 years.. We should never have stopped building council estates or council apartment blocks at scale, bottom line.

                                                  Anti social behaviour and arrears or any other way in which a tenant doesn't meet their end of the bargain should be managed. One of the suggestions I've seen is that difficult tenants would be rotated towards older stock. But anything you do here comes with difficulties and contention of course. That being said. this is a version of focussing on dole cheats as a method of arguing against social provision. 'Lads in tracksuits stealing off you and ruining the country'. Corner cases, as difficult and upsetting as they might be, don't detract from the overall need and objectives.
                                                  "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

                                                  Comment


                                                    Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post

                                                    The state needs to start by providing social and affordable housing at volume. That's their responsibility.
                                                    Is it

                                                    Since when?

                                                    Turning millions into thousands

                                                    Comment


                                                      Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

                                                      Couple of things.

                                                      I never said there wasn’t a housing crisis. Only an idiot would say that. You appear to be ascribing an argument to me that I am not making and I don’t know why.
                                                      We're both ascribing things to each that the other is not making. Or, at least, it's been taken up that way in each case.


                                                      Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                      I agree that the avocado argument is nonsense. But that’s not the argument I am making. I am saying it’s hard to have it all. To live a life that involves a nice car, holiday abroad, eating out in restaurants regularly, plenty of trips to the theatre and cinema etc is absolutely fine. But that involves a choice about allocation of resources. It’s a legitimate and perfectly reasonable choice. My argument was with those who want that AND think that in spite of that choice they should also be able to purchase their own home (an exceptional expenditure in almost everyone’s life) without any change in their lifestyle. I am not saying housing shouldn’t be affordable, and at the moment it’s really pushing the boundaries of that concept, but even if housing prices dropped to more reasonable levels, that would still involve personal choices being made as to the allocation of income. But whenever anyone makes that argument they are pilloried for it. And I do not understand why when it is demonstrably true.
                                                      The very real issue that is building is that the net of people who can buy is becoming ever smaller and the sacrifices required are becoming ever greater for every longer. Absent of help. Ideally you will team up with a partner; you'll both earn well to combine for a combined income in the top 20%; one or both of you will have saved to some extent since your early twenties; you'll be able to move in with your parents as an option; and you'll be able to get some help from them, be it help with the deposit or some money for furniture or whatever. And god forbid you recently had children or your partner just got pregnant.

                                                      I'm sure there was always a default profile, but my parents generation often lived at home (particularly the Dubs) until they bought their house. They didn't need the same level of deposit, and houses were generally lower ratios of a single salary. So much has changed since then, and a huge amount of it is very progressive and positive socially. But it has inarguably made the path for the average buyer more difficult. It isn't always an option for people to suspend independent adult living, and even if it was, should it be a reasonable expectation? Is it reasonable for people to delay having kids in all circumstances, is that good for society? These are the types of questions couples earning average wages face. The focus of ire is on the eating out and the drinking and the holidays, but often that's just contributing to difference of time for couples who fit the profile. It's not the thing that will make the difference for couples on lower salaries with childcare responsibilities, etc. Plus, not everyone will earn higher salaries. Indeed society depends on ranges of jobs being available for ranges of remuneration.

                                                      So that's what I mean by saying 'it isn't really true'. Hypothetically no, it should never be an issue on any topic to advocate short term suffering for reward down the line. It's the essence of sporting achievement, of moving up the ladder in ones career, etc. Maybe some portion of frustration on housing relates to entitled millennials who expect to be able to live life to the full and be handed a house when they're ready to settle down. But a substantial portion of the frustration is from people working hard and playing by the rules where their only sin is trying to live an independent life. Moving further out and spending hours commuting isn't a good enough offering or, at least, it's not going to make people feel like they're winning from economic growth. Plus, the former portion can often sort themselves out relatively quickly. A year or so can be enough to get match fit.

                                                      It is tempting to not care about this once you're past it all, that it doesn't affect you and it's someone else's problem. Be careful on that though. The more people who don't get there the more the electorate will shift over time. As higher percentages of the age cohorts who vote in higher numbers no longer own property and are unlikely to ever own property. But anyway, we'll see how the next few months shake out.


                                                      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

                                                      Comment


                                                        Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                        Is it

                                                        Since when?
                                                        Since the formation of the state. They kicked off a scheme of affordable housing called "The Million pound scheme" in 1922 and have always had housing schemes and social housing developments on the books to some extent. I think few enough argue that it isn't the state's responsibility to house those who cannot house themselves. But irrespective, we went a near decade from 2011 - 2019 without an affordable housing scheme of some sort on the go, which was the longest such gap in state history.
                                                        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

                                                        Comment


                                                          Could someone of the issue not be fixed by centralising more of the planning process?



                                                          Comment


                                                            Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                            Could someone of the issue not be fixed by centralising more of the planning process?

                                                            It certainly could. In none of this am I saying planning isn’t a complete mess. And there is no doubt that individual politicians from parties advocating for more social / affordable housing have made political capital of opposing much needed housing developments or infrastructure in their constituencies.
                                                            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

                                                            Comment


                                                              Are you looking to buy a house yourself LL?
                                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                                              Comment


                                                                I just discovered (regrettably only via the Internet) that there are wallabies on Lambay Island.

                                                                Comment


                                                                  Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                  Are you looking to buy a house yourself LL?
                                                                  We are buying a house. But we’re okay, all of the prep is done. Covid hit just as we were putting in offers so it may very well be perfect timing for us.
                                                                  "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

                                                                  Comment


                                                                    Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post

                                                                    Since the formation of the state. They kicked off a scheme of affordable housing called "The Million pound scheme" in 1922 and have always had housing schemes and social housing developments on the books to some extent. I think few enough argue that it isn't the state's responsibility to house those who cannot house themselves. But irrespective, we went a near decade from 2011 - 2019 without an affordable housing scheme of some sort on the go, which was the longest such gap in state history.
                                                                    it's almost like something cataclysmic happened just before that period....
                                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                                                    Comment


                                                                      Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

                                                                      it's almost like something cataclysmic happened just before that period....
                                                                      When it comes to housing, the idea that the state is powerless the past few years when it managed to build through multiple recessions all the way back to when it didn't have a pot to piss in rings very hollow indeed. But irrespective, we had a long period running up to the last election where the topic was largely ignored.
                                                                      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

                                                                      Comment


                                                                        Mrs Lao Lao has wanted to go to Ikea for a good few weeks. Apart from one or two things that we might need, I can see absolutely no point in going. There is zero rush for anything that we might need and I hate the place at the best of times.

                                                                        She was thinking of going first thing Monday morning and I told her she would be fucking mad to do so - Next we see the redonk queues and I sit there smugly.

                                                                        We've both been off work all this week (we were meant to be in Portugal for Primavera Sound plus lots of wine drinking, sigh!) so she has mentioned going to Ikea each day since Monday. Each time, I tell her she is mad.

                                                                        With all the rain this afternoon, she decides this is the optimal time, people won't want to go out or potentially queue in the rain. I, again, tell her she is mental but she is convinced and heads off.

                                                                        Just got a message from her to say that traffic was pretty bad getting over to Ikea and when she got there staff are telling people that the wait time in the queue is around 1.5 - 2 hours long so they can't guarantee that they will still be open by the time you reach the top of the queue. As such, Mrs Lao Lao is coming straight back home.

                                                                        Me :

                                                                        Comment


                                                                          Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                          I just discovered (regrettably only via the Internet) that there are wallabies on Lambay Island.
                                                                          Oh Yeah!, Got a leg of Lambay lamb last autumn from a guy who knows a guy on Lambay, Not a big fan of lamb at all but it was good.
                                                                          Whats regrettable about learning this from the internet?. Maybe in written form you might have read more in detail?.

                                                                          Comment


                                                                            I have two houses in Dublin. Coming out of my ears they are.

                                                                            Comment


                                                                              Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                              Mrs Lao Lao has wanted to go to Ikea for a good few weeks. Apart from one or two things that we might need, I can see absolutely no point in going. There is zero rush for anything that we might need and I hate the place at the best of times.

                                                                              She was thinking of going first thing Monday morning and I told her she would be fucking mad to do so - Next we see the redonk queues and I sit there smugly.

                                                                              We've both been off work all this week (we were meant to be in Portugal for Primavera Sound plus lots of wine drinking, sigh!) so she has mentioned going to Ikea each day since Monday. Each time, I tell her she is mad.

                                                                              With all the rain this afternoon, she decides this is the optimal time, people won't want to go out or potentially queue in the rain. I, again, tell her she is mental but she is convinced and heads off.

                                                                              Just got a message from her to say that traffic was pretty bad getting over to Ikea and when she got there staff are telling people that the wait time in the queue is around 1.5 - 2 hours long so they can't guarantee that they will still be open by the time you reach the top of the queue. As such, Mrs Lao Lao is coming straight back home.

                                                                              Me :
                                                                              You got away with it there. I would have thought it would be mandatory to go with her. Cant think of many who would go alone. You've got a strong willed one there boyo.

                                                                              Comment


                                                                                Originally posted by rounders123 View Post

                                                                                You got away with it there. I would have thought it would be mandatory to go with her. Cant think of many who would go alone. You've got a strong willed one there boyo.
                                                                                I was asked to go with her about 183 times. Each time, my answer was the same

                                                                                'Not a fucking hope in hell '


                                                                                Comment


                                                                                  Originally posted by Lazare View Post

                                                                                  Ah running costs me bollix V, what I wouldn't give for the opportunity to spend 2 hours bumbling around on a ride on mower with ear muffs on. Headspace bliss.

                                                                                  Saw an oul lad on one a few weeks ago and was mad jealous.
                                                                                  Weird that. Spotted the spelling mistake and edited but it looks like it double posted. Could be wrong. Could have just double posted originally.
                                                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                    Remember a close relative of the fatherly kind saying that when he was running counties it was essentially impossible to build social housing as the councillors would always object on the concerns of 'real' home owners. His solution was to buy loads of land in neighbourly counties and build the required social housing there to keep his councillors happy, as seemingly the only requirement was on amount of homes delivered not on where they were built.
                                                                                    ​​​​​​

                                                                                    There has always been a bit of a shitty attitude to social housing.

                                                                                    Maybe that is something that SF could fix. Maybe. I doubt it though as their main campaign at local level has been to reduce the property tax needed to build social houses. And NI is a paradise in precisely nothing, where they've actually been in power, and indeed has twice the number of homeless despite having a third of the population. At the moment, it's that they've raised a valid issue, but nothing about them suggests they'll actually be able to solve the problem based on local government and NI experience. In each case they just blame someone else. I'd imagine when they eventually get into power they'll start blaming the EU, and thus go full ironic speed to becoming the Tories.

                                                                                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                      I work near IKEA, wife texted me at about 4:45 to pop over and grab something. Was in Trim this afternoon though, thank fuck.

                                                                                      She'd have made me take that chance and wait in the rain.
                                                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                        Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                        I work near IKEA, wife texted me at about 4:45 to pop over and grab something. Was in Trim this afternoon though, thank fuck.

                                                                                        She'd have made me take that chance and wait in the rain.
                                                                                        I work just the other side of the M50 from it. Pre Covid, I'd regularly get 'If I give you a list of things to get, will you pop in on your lunch break and pick them up?'

                                                                                        To which I'd always reply, 'Not a fucking hope in hell'

                                                                                        I really can't stand the place. I accept that they have some reasonably decent bits and bobs at very keen prices but the whole place just puts me on life tilt.

                                                                                        It doesn't help that my missus style of shopping is to pick up EVERY SINGLE ITEM in the shop and look at it. It doesn't matter if she is in a boutique dress shop that has 10 items on display or Ikea that has 15 million items on display, every item must be picked up.

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                          I can't thank posts or click many buttons on this site since the upgrade without getting errors but I'm just posting to pass on thanks for all of Lloyd's posting. Tried to click like so many times to no avail!
                                                                                          EDIT: Seems in managing to post this I broke the curse and now can click away to my heart's content without an error.

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                            Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

                                                                                            I work just the other side of the M50 from it. Pre Covid, I'd regularly get 'If I give you a list of things to get, will you pop in on your lunch break and pick them up?'

                                                                                            To which I'd always reply, 'Not a fucking hope in hell'

                                                                                            I really can't stand the place. I accept that they have some reasonably decent bits and bobs at very keen prices but the whole place just puts me on life tilt.

                                                                                            It doesn't help that my missus style of shopping is to pick up EVERY SINGLE ITEM in the shop and look at it. It doesn't matter if she is in a boutique dress shop that has 10 items on display or Ikea that has 15 million items on display, every item must be picked up.
                                                                                            I'm with you brother. My wife is the exact same.

                                                                                            ​​​​​​I can't think of a fresher Hell than queuing for 2 hours to spend 2 hours in IKEA.

                                                                                            Maybe add a hangover in to the mix to make it a touch worse.

                                                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                              Originally posted by Lazare View Post

                                                                                              I'm with you brother. My wife is the exact same.

                                                                                              ​​​​​​I can't think of a fresher Hell than queuing for 2 hours to spend 2 hours in IKEA.

                                                                                              Maybe add a hangover in to the mix to make it a touch worse.
                                                                                              Posted both these stories to the brother he said he was asked the same but 'no fcuken wayyyy'. Ikea solidarity, other side lives matters.

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                                Man, this guy seems ready. And impressive. Worth a watch if you haven't heard too much of him aside from short sound clips.


                                                                                                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                  Just rang up B&Q and asked "how big is the queue?"

                                                                                                  SPOILERHe said, "same size as the B"
                                                                                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                    Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                    Man, this guy seems ready. And impressive. Worth a watch if you haven't heard too much of him aside from short sound clips.
                                                                                                    He looks good there for sure but we do not know how prepped hex as for that, if he was reading all of that. If he comes across like that in the debates he wins the election imo but if we see the Biden that called Corey Booker the President, forgot lots of stuff, came out with a story that never happened and mixed up figures very badly then it's a whole different ballgame.
                                                                                                    'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                      Weeeeee


                                                                                                      fut_chart.ashx?t=ES&cot=138741,13874A&p=d1&rev=637274863459812247.png

                                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                                        Screenshot_20200611_204409.jpg 9 years ago today people! Barry's was it. And I was renamed SatNav all because I thought westmeath was in county meath
                                                                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                                                                        © 5starpool

                                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                                          And 9 yrs on still besties with these people
                                                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                                                          © 5starpool

                                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                                            Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                                            Screenshot_20200611_204409.jpg 9 years ago today people! Barry's was it. And I was renamed SatNav all because I thought westmeath was in county meath
                                                                                                            lol, pot belly on me and the fag in me hand. Jaysis.

                                                                                                            Some craic that night.
                                                                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

                                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                                              Originally posted by Lazare View Post

                                                                                                              lol, pot belly on me and the fag in me hand. Jaysis.

                                                                                                              Some craic that night.
                                                                                                              Pot belly? You were a, streak of misery
                                                                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                                                                              © 5starpool

                                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                                                Back to work tomorrow at last. Hard to believe it's been 3 months to the day.
                                                                                                                “The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.” - Bertrand Russell

                                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                                  Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                  Could someone of the issue not be fixed by centralising more of the planning process?

                                                                                                                  Tried it a bit with strategic housing recently and its quite hit or miss and generating lots of legal challenges because suddenly people love geese and bats and things of that nature apparently.

                                                                                                                  Don't think rhe system cant be centralised as things stand as Councils will do everything they can to stop it and on the other side people will say that you are further eroding public participation which won't go down well

                                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                                    Originally posted by ghostface View Post

                                                                                                                    Tried it a bit with strategic housing recently and its quite hit or miss and generating lots of legal challenges because suddenly people love geese and bats and things of that nature apparently.

                                                                                                                    Don't think rhe system cant be centralised as things stand as Councils will do everything they can to stop it and on the other side people will say that you are further eroding public participation which won't go down well
                                                                                                                    Never met a more bird-loving crowd than the St. Annes lot. You'd wonder what their endgame is, as its clearly going to be built on at some stage.
                                                                                                                    Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 11-06-20, 22:18.
                                                                                                                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                                      Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                                                      Screenshot_20200611_204409.jpg 9 years ago today people! Barry's was it. And I was renamed SatNav all because I thought westmeath was in county meath
                                                                                                                      Had IPBChamp over today for a few drinks and punting nags by coincidence

                                                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                                                        Supervalu green teabags are just as good as Barrys and are half the price. Fight me

                                                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                                                          Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                                                                                                          I can't thank posts or click many buttons on this site since the upgrade without getting errors but I'm just posting to pass on thanks for all of Lloyd's posting. Tried to click like so many times to no avail!
                                                                                                                          EDIT: Seems in managing to post this I broke the curse and now can click away to my heart's content without an error.
                                                                                                                          Cheers Reggie, hope you’re keeping well.
                                                                                                                          "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

                                                                                                                          Comment

                                                                                                                          Working...
                                                                                                                          X