This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
    This is a fun and thought provoking read..
    anyone reading the long Wait But Why series "The Story of US"? Just onto the final part last night. I think it does a really good job of breaking down why the system (and people) behaves the way it does.
    Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

define 'tearing itself apart'
      purposely left it open to interpretation

Let's say, any of the following happening:
      - Presidential elections don't happen
      - Trump assumes absolute power in some way
      - Some sort of declaration of war
      - Army is deployed on US soil and there are tanks in the streets of multiple big cities for 1 week+
      - 1000s+ people fleeing US for fears of safety
      - US dollar loses 50% of its value

I'd like to say "anarchy in the streets of America" but some sources would suggest we're already at that point
      Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

you are definitely watching way too many Twitter clips DP

Was just talking to my American colleagues just now and, very unusually, they asked me what we thought of their shenanigans. Normally they are fully aware of being the greatest country evah and thus couldn't give a fuck what we think.

I said we were feeling a new emotion towards America (I stole this from Fintan O'Foole but it's a good line) - pity.
        quite possibly.
        I'm surprised at the depth of my fury & disgust tbh.
        Maybe the lockdown is finally getting to me.
        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

In some government committee today, SF asks HSE guy whether he wasted money by having twice the capacity eventually needed for handling the outbreak. HSE guy responds with:

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Jam-Fly View Post

purposely left it open to interpretation

Let's say, any of the following happening:
            - Presidential elections don't happen
            I'd say there's a 3-5% chance of this

- Trump assumes absolute power in some way
            Within the next 2 years this is negligible

- Some sort of declaration of war
            At any given time the US must have this at about 15-20%

- Army is deployed on US soil and there are tanks in the streets of multiple big cities for 1 week+
            Supposed to only happen in times of armed insurrection/revolt/rebellion. But... he's already started down this track. Tanks may be a step too far but deployment of military personnel is already happening.

- 1000s+ people fleeing US for fears of safety
            Highly unlikely given the Covid powers restrict international air travel as it is.

- US dollar loses 50% of its value
            Absent OPEC deciding it will finally change the international oil reserve currency to the Euro... no more than 2%

I'd like to say "anarchy in the streets of America" but some sources would suggest we're already at that point
            These are just my own uninformed guesses but its an interesting thought experiment.
            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Doesnt that 1807 law say the states have to REQUEST military assistance. It cant be forced centrally against it's own citizens.

However the more military increases the chance some lone wolf takes him out . Hes a dead man walking. This is merica we are talking about. Hope it's not live when I'm eating a fish finger sambo.

Comment

Just finished watching The English game. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Was surprised when I checked it's IMDb rating afterwards and it's only 7.6. I'd have it comfortably in the mid to high 8 range.
                'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Lots of them are descended from Swedes and Norweigans. This has given the area a distinct local character that is very different from the areas of America that we may be more familiar with.

It is also supposed to be boring as fuck.
                  Oh yeah?

Speaking of settlers in America, having just finished a book on the Conquistadors I ordered A Land So Strange: The Epic Journey of Cabeza de Vaca. An incredible story briefly recounted in my Conquistadors book of a disastrous expedition to Florida in the 1520s. Four men survived and travelled on foot through America, spending time enslaved by various Native Americans. They ended up with reputations as great healers and attracted a following of 600 natives as they went through the various tribes across the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                    Doesnt that 1807 law say the states have to REQUEST military assistance. It cant be forced centrally against it's own citizens.

However the more military increases the chance some lone wolf takes him out . Hes a dead man walking. This is merica we are talking about. Hope it's not live when I'm eating a fish finger sambo.
                    If they can link the riots in different states is it not then federal? I'd guess that's where they're going to go with it.
                    'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

I was thinking about the American Midwest yesterday because I had to Google where Minnesota was. It's a huge area I know nothing about and have never been to. Can you say anything interesting about the people there?
                      Only thing I know about them is from some shitty tournament I played in Vegas. There was a club from Minneapolis on tour playing the tourney. Had about 40 runners and I'd say 25 of them were from this club. Some of the friendliest people I've ever met and great fun. Little old lady killed me with a classic line after busting me. Well you're one of the nicest people I've met, real easy to talk to. Says she raking in my chips. Lol. Tbf she probably meant it in a nice way, just makes me laugh thinking about it.

Comment

Why is there no media or politicians condemning that protest in Dublin yesterday? And more planned for this weekend apparently. We are still in a phase of restricted movement and social distancing, none of which was evident at the protest. We're either enforcing it or not. If not, we .may as well open her up and get back to normal.

I 100% agree with the sentiment of the protest. I just disagree with the basic disregard of all restrictions and guidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Only thing I know about them is from some shitty tournament I played in Vegas. There was a club from Minneapolis on tour playing the tourney. Had about 40 runners and I'd say 25 of them were from this club. Some of the friendliest people I've ever met and great fun. Little old lady killed me with a classic line after busting me. Well you're one of the nicest people I've met, real easy to talk to. Says she raking in my chips. Lol. Tbf she probably meant it in a nice way, just makes me laugh thinking about it.
                          decent chance I ran into similar people from Minneapolis in Vegas.

Near the end of the WSOP, I'm walking past one of the bars in the Rio. Couple of Irish players there so start chatting to them. They're drinking with a couple from Minneapolis. I played with the wife in a tournament a few days previous. Didn't really chat with her much aside from the usual pleasantries one would exchange over the course of 8 hours of a live MTT. Talking at the bar, and she says I was the head of her husband from 20 years ago. She snapped a picture of me in the tournament a few days previous and sent it to him. They show me photos of the husband when he was younger and in fairness there is a resemblance.

12 months later, playing a cash game during WSOP and get chatting to a guy sitting beside me. He's also from Minneapolis. We're chatting away for maybe an hour, and he goes "oh, I gotta show you this photo, you're gonna like it". Yup, same photo of me from the year before
                          Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Why is there no media or politicians condemning that protest in Dublin yesterday? And more planned for this weekend apparently. We are still in a phase of restricted movement and social distancing, none of which was evident at the protest. We're either enforcing it or not. If not, we .may as well open her up and get back to normal.

I 100% agree with the sentiment of the protest. I just disagree with the basic disregard of all restrictions and guidelines.
                            I thought there was a lot of social distancing at the protest. People have been inadvertently doing that at demos for years, in an attempt to make the crowd look bigger. I'd imagine a large proportion of the crowd could have been breaking the 5km rule, though I think it would be imprudent of the Gardai to try and enforce that.
                            'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'

Comment

Decent LOL.
                              https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...ment-1.4268753

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I thought there was a lot of social distancing at the protest. People have been inadvertently doing that at demos for years, in an attempt to make the crowd look bigger. I'd imagine a large proportion of the crowd could have been breaking the 5km rule, though I think it would be imprudent of the Gardai to try and enforce that.
                                Any photo or video I've seen has had no social distancing at all. Especially up around the GPO and near the American embassy. Could hear Garda on loudspeakers asking people to stay apart, wasnt possible.

On your 2nd point, why isnt it prudent to enforce the 5k limit? Its either in play or it's not. Cant have one rule for some and another rule for the rest. I'd even suggest that if they did enforce the rule, it would have been easier for people to practice social distancing with less people involved.

Comment

Only 10 new cases today

Comment

Any photo or video I've seen has had no social distancing at all. Especially up around the GPO and near the American embassy. Could hear Garda on loudspeakers asking people to stay apart, wasnt possible.

On your 2nd point, why isnt it prudent to enforce the 5k limit? Its either in play or it's not. Cant have one rule for some and another rule for the rest. I'd even suggest that if they did enforce the rule, it would have been easier for people to practice social distancing with less people involved.
                                    Seems it being looked at anyway https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...medium=twitter

Because thousands of people attended the event, Garda sources said it would be “unrealistic” to seek to prosecute all of them or even a very large number.
                                    Last edited by ComradeCollie; 02-06-20, 17:22.
                                    'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'

Comment

could be worse...

100% agree dublin march was stupid
                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Any of my old comrades still knocking about?
                                        Last edited by Icarus152; 02-06-20, 17:26.
                                        Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Icarus152 View Post
                                          Any of my old comrades till knocking about?
                                          Hi old pal!

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Hi old pal!
                                            Up Kerry!

Comment

One of the good guys ! Welcome back, for however long...
                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                One of the good guys ! Welcome back, for however long...
                                                Ah my good buddy is here. What was that movie download thing we used to use for films in the old days? Here until I'm not :-)

Comment

Any of my old comrades still knocking about?
                                                  Good to see you mate. We need you as bait to bring the rigger back and I think we're set
                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Good to see you mate. We need you as bait to bring the rigger back and I think we're set
                                                    He's busy with the new business.

Comment

what's Rigger at these days?
                                                      Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by Jam-Fly View Post
                                                        what's Rigger at these days?
                                                        Some social inclusion thing involving an ice cream route in Tallaght.

Comment

Ah my good buddy is here. What was that movie download thing we used to use for films in the old days? Here until I'm not :-)
                                                          Was it a torrent client ? Its all about the streaming these days.

Still brewing ?
                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Was it a torrent client ? Its all about the streaming these days.

Still brewing ?
                                                            Yeah, some client thing. Nah, working for the state these days, yourself?

Comment

The State

or

The Deep State?

how deep are you into this thing Icky
                                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

The State

or

The Deep State?

how deep are you into this thing Icky
                                                                Gemma O'Doherty's handler. Don't tell the lads.

Comment

Still helping the world to see, 20 years this October!
                                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Why the f**k not?
                                                                    Attached Files

Comment

Still helping the world to see, 20 years this October!
                                                                      And no bother to you my good buddy.

Comment

Hello! I have been intrigued by your tweets of random glimpses of places in Waterford. Well, intrigued that some people seem to get them...

Best thing is to just use utorrent and a decent VPN. Untraceable then. PureVPN is great.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Hello! I have been intrigued by your tweets of random glimpses of places in Waterford. Well, intrigued that some people seem to get them...

Best thing is to just use utorrent and a decent VPN. Untraceable then. PureVPN is great.
                                                                          Remember the time you walked out of the pub wearing some other lads coat and it all nearly kicked off? I love you on Twitter by the way.

"Intrigued that some people seem to get them...". You bitch.

Comment

Always like a good surprise returning Royal Rumble entrant on IPB.

Comment

Always like a good surprise returning Royal Rumble entrant on IPB.
                                                                              You were one of my heroes when I was young.

Comment

Icky seeing as you're back and I'm back, should we do some werewolfing?

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                                                                                  Icky seeing as you're back and I'm back, should we do some werewolfing?
                                                                                  You know I think that would be good craic. I'm bored out of my tree at the moment. Good to hear from you chief.

Comment

I've only hung around here all these years in the hope that you'd return some day Icky.

Welling up here.
                                                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Werewolf thread set up. I'll run it, if I remember how!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                        I've only hung around here all these years in the hope that you'd return some day Icky.

Welling up here.
                                                                                        **Brohug**

Comment

**Brohug**

Comment

Comment

Back to save the world
                                                                                              Jedward we have missed you

Comment

Dear father I'm having impure thoughts about Erin Burnett

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                                                                                                  Werewolf thread set up. I'll run it, if I remember how!!!
                                                                                                  Link for the fellow layers: https://www.irishpokerboards.com/for...us#post1664165

Comment

lols. I'd say 99% of the crowd is now thinking - no fucking way. Time for the Cheltenham feckers to pile on with the self-isolation pressure.

Comment

I was thinking about the American Midwest yesterday because I had to Google where Minnesota was. It's a huge area I know nothing about and have never been to. Can you say anything interesting about the people there?
                                                                                                      From this trip i doubt any miss America's have come from Wyoming.

​​​​

Being serious I really cannot , have not seen nor interacted with than three people each day.

Comment

Guy beside me in work is from Minnesota. Nice guy . Hatred for Hilary made him a Trump fan. He is very quiet on the subject these days . These looters doing Trump a favour eh.

Comment

Ohhhkay then

Comment

Epic. Best run-on sentence ever.
                                                                                                            “This is an awful man, waving a book he hasn’t read, in front of a church he doesn’t attend, invoking laws he doesn’t understand, against fellow Americans he sees as enemies, wielding a military he dodged serving, to protect power he gained via accepting foreign interference, exploiting fear and anger he loves to stoke, after failing to address a pandemic he was warned about, and building it all on a bed of constant lies and childish inanity.” — Robert Hendrickson, Rector, Saint Philip’s in the Hills Episcopal Church

Comment

Looking for a bit of help in regard to personal branding, it's for work.

Obv more geared to people who know me well, be it on a work level ie if I have helped you with sky be it queries or selling, also on a non work level.

So I'm looking for constructive criticism and obviously compliments lol

I need to feed this back by Friday.

I'd greatly appreciate it via pm or here whatever.

Thanks in advance
                                                                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

Is there anyone here versed in art or graphic design?

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post

Obv more geared to people who know me well, be it on a work level ie if I have helped you with sky be it queries or selling, also on a non work level.

Thanks in advance
                                                                                                                  Looks good Michelle. Apart from having Honest and Fair in twice. Also,I would change Consistency to Consistent so that the piece is consistent in tense. For the same reason I'm not sure about conviction but equally I'm not sure what to replace it with if you're sticking to one word.

Comment

Thanks in advance
                                                                                                                    Gregarious.
                                                                                                                    Determined.
                                                                                                                    "The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity."

Comment

Originally posted by Lplate View Post

Looks good Michelle. Apart from having Honest and Fair in twice. Also,I would change Consistency to Consistent so that the piece is consistent in tense. For the same reason I'm not sure about conviction but equally I'm not sure what to replace it with if you're sticking to one word.
                                                                                                                      That wasn't about me, that was just a pic I screen shotted taken from the con call earlier, we were discussing branding. So took pic to give ye an idea, if you get me
                                                                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Gregarious.
                                                                                                                        Determined.
                                                                                                                        Had to Google gregarious hoping it wasn't too bad. Thanks a mil. I'll pop in my notes.!
                                                                                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

That wasn't about me, that was just a pic I screen shotted taken from the con call earlier, we were discussing branding. So took pic to give ye an idea, if you get me
                                                                                                                          Ah fair enough. Got the wrong end of the stick. Pick some of those out and add a few of your own so. Gregarious is good. Problem solver always looks good on these things too.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X