Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am looking forward to see how long it will take China to give up on their zero covid policy. As much as I agreed with it as an initial response, it's clearly pointless now.
    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Sometimes tempted to create fictional children, so I can tweet about the no less fictional things they have said or done.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
        Sometimes tempted to create fictional children, so I can tweet about the no less fictional things they have said or done.
        Our 5 year old has insisted i watch Death of Stalin on TG4 right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

I need people... wanna come work with me DP? You can choose your poison!
          Maybe brother. Doing a run off at the moment for this insurance crowd so unsure who long that'll last until redundo kicks in. Thinking of asking for it upfront if it's gonna go on a while.
          Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Are you still etl data warehousing?

My opinion is the gap in pay for contract and perm has narrowed a lot of the last few years. Perm has gone up and contract relatively static - few outliers obv like rd3 crowd.
          I have Dissociative IT disorder.
          In the morning I may well be doing ssis, however the afternoon could easily see me wrangling mail flow rules for the exchange server in powershell, visualizing a datamart in powerbi or creating an app in python for all staff as the redundancy calculator isn't working on the Irish gov website.

Agreed on the gap. Took a call earlier today for a contract gig at a really good rate that really seemed problematic once I factored in sick, holiday, pension, health care etc.
          Feeling contracting is a young mans game. At least not a game for someone with the responsibilities I have.
          Unless the money is right of course

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
            I'm not sure what punishment those fuckers in Ballyfermot should have gotten but a €200 fine, freedom and a comment about footballing futures is pretty outrageous.

If my daughter was left like that by them their footballing future would be over anyway.
            You that's bail and not a fine.
            They'll do time I'm sure.

Denying bail is a slippery slope
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

The Music king road trip is coming to an end, with a 3 way battle for the crown. Feel free to come have a listen and score each song out of 10

Music king Final

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Somewhat linked to yours and CC's posts: my 15 y/o has no idea of the historical context but is laughing her ass off at it.
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Way more jobs than qualified people DP, you'll be better off than before in no time.

Comment

This is a very strange advice topic ​​​​​​
                    So... Mia has covid. I have been shitting a brick worrying about catching covid maybe a week before I go to usa. Like it's deffo my biggest fear...

So I'm thinking let Mia cough on me and hopefully get a positive within the next week, all done and dusted and ready to fly on the 9rh feb

Or just be extra careful going about my business in work and home and worry that I won't catch it

This is a tricky situation. What would you do??
                    Her sky-ness
                    © 5starpool

Comment

He's got taste, really is an excellent film. A cast to die for, as they say.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                        This is a very strange advice topic ​​​​​​
                        So... Mia has covid. I have been shitting a brick worrying about catching covid maybe a week before I go to usa. Like it's deffo my biggest fear...

So I'm thinking let Mia cough on me and hopefully get a positive within the next week, all done and dusted and ready to fly on the 9rh feb

Or just be extra careful going about my business in work and home and worry that I won't catch it

This is a tricky situation. What would you do??
                        The latter.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

He's got taste, really is an excellent film. A cast to die for, as they say.
                          A Tour de force . 5th viewing approx . Something different gets me every time. The body getting fkd down the stairs at the start . Reminded me of the cat getting bashed in different scenes in the Holy Grail . Something simple in the background that cracks you up.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                            The Music king road trip is coming to an end, with a 3 way battle for the crown. Feel free to come have a listen and score each song out of 10

Music king Final
                            We need MOVIE KING next .. anyone class anyone ? Buller ?

Comment

Was making a lot of mistakes at work with calculations recently and went to a doctor
                              turns out I have a rare condition where I miss bits of numbers so for example I sometimes read a 7 as a 1, or an 8 as a 9 - anyone ever hear of something similar?
                              Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Absolutely
                                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Its been a while since I had a day quite like today, probably back in Rennes. Just pure endless strategising meeting-after-meeting nonstop from 10am to 6pm. A quick break for the kids in the evening, then straight back on it tonight. All interspersed with at least a hundred emails. The job has grown from the overwhelming wild panic of the first week, to now I'm starting to see the bullets as they whizz through the air, the strategies connecting across meetings, the pointlessness of 90% of emails that can safely be replied to with a 'thanks' or a 'let me know'. Great to be back!

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                    Was making a lot of mistakes at work with calculations recently and went to a doctor
                                    turns out I have a rare condition where I miss bits of numbers so for example I sometimes read a 7 as a 1, or an 8 as a 9 - anyone ever hear of something similar?
                                    Get a job in PWC where it doesn't matter

Comment

Thats the meta we needed solks!

Comment

A distress signal has been detected in an isolated, low-lying group of islands in the Tonga archipelago following Saturday's massive volcanic eruption and tsunami, the United Nations said, prompting particular concern for its inhabitants.

The OCHA said there had been no contact from the Ha'apai group of islands and there was "particular concern" about two small low-lying islands - Fonoi and Mango, where an active distress beacon had been detected. According to the Tonga government, 36 people live on Mango and 69 on Fonoi.
                                        An entire very-mini-civilisation, probably lived there and their ancestors for untold generations, wiped out and their land gone. I don't know if its just seeing Pompeii recently, but nature can be an absolute motherfucker when it wants.

A distress signal has been detected in an isolated, low-lying group of islands in the Tonga archipelago following Saturday's massive volcanic eruption and tsunami, the United Nations said, prompting particular concern for its inhabitants.

Comment

Mental it's not bigger news.
                                          As of earlier today, they couldn't make contact with anyone there, that's amazing in this day and age.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                            Mental it's not bigger news.
                                            As of earlier today, they couldn't make contact with anyone there, that's amazing in this day and age.
                                            If you ever fly over the South Pacific, it's a hell of a lot of nothing. And just a handful of tiny scattered island groups.

Trying to figure out WTF happens when you cross the IDL is fun though.

Comment

Thought it was interesting that Tonga was weighing up if it could get by without Aid as they were afraid of getting Covid on the Island. One of the only places on Earth that escaped it throughout the pandemic.

Comment

This wouldn't have happened if they were still sacrificing virgins to appease the volcano. I'm just saying.

Comment

I bet you can't wait to be told all about some 1980's Cambodian classics, or a movie filmed with a shoe by a blind gender neutral alien.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                    This wouldn't have happened if they were still sacrificing virgins to appease the volcano. I'm just saying.
                                                    Now here is a man offering up solutions . Although can we really afford to lose our IT professionals ?

Comment

Wordle 213 5/6
                                                      Wordle 213 5/6

⬜⬜
                                                      Last edited by DeadParrot; 18-01-22, 09:56.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

I bet you can't wait to be told all about some 1980's Cambodian classics, or a movie filmed with a shoe by a blind gender neutral alien.
                                                        HJ's one about the girl who has sex with a car looks

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                          Thought it was interesting that Tonga was weighing up if it could get by without Aid as they were afraid of getting Covid on the Island. One of the only places on Earth that escaped it throughout the pandemic.
                                                          Tonga is one of the stranger Pacific island nations. Although they're all pretty other-worldly, which I guess is the charm.

Comment

In fairness to Dominic Cummings, you really wouldn't want him as an enemy. Does grudge-bearing rather well.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                              My niece has something similar, dyspraxia or dyscalculia I think it is. A nuisance of a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Looks like Thursday is the last chance to see Cow at the lighthouse

Comment

It won tbe palme d'or in cannes last year. Her first movie from a couple of years ago, also great, was about a vegetarian medical student who develops a taste for human flesh. She does like to shock!

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Maybe brother. Doing a run off at the moment for this insurance crowd so unsure who long that'll last until redundo kicks in. Thinking of asking for it upfront if it's gonna go on a while.

I have Dissociative IT disorder.
                                                                    In the morning I may well be doing ssis, however the afternoon could easily see me wrangling mail flow rules for the exchange server in powershell, visualizing a datamart in powerbi or creating an app in python for all staff as the redundancy calculator isn't working on the Irish gov website.

Agreed on the gap. Took a call earlier today for a contract gig at a really good rate that really seemed problematic once I factored in sick, holiday, pension, health care etc.
                                                                    Feeling contracting is a young mans game. At least not a game for someone with the responsibilities I have.
                                                                    Unless the money is right of course

You shouldn't have too much difficulty with that kind of skill set. Was pinged before Xmas for a 12 month contract for a Sr Sys Admin job spec (fairly generic details initially tbf) but it gave 30% more than my current salary. I'm kind of 50/50 manager/techy at the moment with the better title but I was still surprised to see the figure tbh. Still worked out a chunk better when I factored in pension benefits etc. Even so, there are loads of permanent gigs available. I'm kind of the camp of wanting to go back to 100% technology and drop management/paperwork as it's a boring ballache. Much rather jump between different systems and projects to fix or roll out stuff.

Would you consider a hands-on IT manager gig with a focus on Info Systems/BI? There getting close to 6 figures.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

My niece has something similar, dyspraxia or dyscalculia I think it is. A nuisance of a thing.
                                                                      And all the giving out you do about accounting firms . It's not dyspraxia anyway as I have some knowledge of this.

Comment

In fairness to Dominic Cummings, you really wouldn't want him as an enemy. Does grudge-bearing rather well.
                                                                        It was patently obvious IMO that he’d go after BJ when he was ‘moved on’ and likely had a pile of dirt on him.

Fairly stupid not to keep him onside especially seeing as he was supported during the Durham Castle debacle when his position looked untenable.

Comment

Tories see to be building their defence of Johnson along the lines of
                                                                          • Cummings and his mate may well be willing to swear an affidavit that they warned Boris that this party should be stopped but they don't have an actual email, so there!
                                                                          • If you stick with Boris he will close down the BBC
                                                                          • He will let Priti Patel fire sonic booms to drown immigrants on boats in a cunningly clean hands off manner

Insanity reigns
                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

In slightly more trivial news, I was reading this profile of Kristi Noem (Trumpian Governor of South Dakota) and discovered that her most memorable gubernatorial achievement was to launch an anti-drugs program that boasted the slogan
                                                                            SPOILER

Genius, of sorts. Some lad in the advertising agency still can't believe he got that one through.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

It was patently obvious IMO that he’d go after BJ when he was ‘moved on’ and likely had a pile of dirt on him.

Fairly stupid not to keep him onside especially seeing as he was supported during the Durham Castle debacle when his position looked untenable.
                                                                              I started reading his blog post before deciding it was too much but two things came across:
                                                                              1. He clearly thought the agreement was that he wasn't being 'moved out' but was being 'moved on' to a different role. This got mischaracterized in the media and then he had to be seen to be permanently gone. No idea if this is true but it would explain some of the bitterness.
                                                                              2. He dislikes Boris intensely but he hates Carrie Johnson. Really sees her as a malign influence (which is obviously ironic in the extreme given what a malign fucker he is himself).

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                Its been a while since I had a day quite like today, probably back in Rennes. Just pure endless strategising meeting-after-meeting nonstop from 10am to 6pm. A quick break for the kids in the evening, then straight back on it tonight. All interspersed with at least a hundred emails. The job has grown from the overwhelming wild panic of the first week, to now I'm starting to see the bullets as they whizz through the air, the strategies connecting across meetings, the pointlessness of 90% of emails that can safely be replied to with a 'thanks' or a 'let me know'. Great to be back!

Welcome to the private sector!

Comment

Hardest yet, disgusted I didn't get it in 4, had it on the shortlist

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Hardest yet, disgusted I didn't get it in 4, had it on the shortlist
                                                                                    Took me 4 too . 1st 4 baller so perhaps it was the hardest . 1st guess was a complete blank .

Comment

Took me all 6 guesses today, but I made one stupid waste of a guess really, so should have been finished in 5.

Comment

Took me all 6 guesses today, but I made one stupid waste of a guess really, so should have been finished in 5.
                                                                                        You made a liar out of me. The full thing is 6 not 4. So yep took me 6 alao

Comment

Wordle 213 4/6

⬜⬜⬜

Comment

5 goes ...second line had the first 3 letters in correct place

Comment

Wordle 213 4/6

⬜⬜⬜
                                                                                              Am I the only one that can't see these posting properly? If not, why do people keep posting them when they don't show up as they should?

Comment

FML

Looking forward to this kept me going through a shitty Christmas.

Booked in October and at the time I was weighing up the chances and concluded the best chances not being affected by covid was between the first week and the final week of the run , lost the toss. FFS!

Comment

Hih, the Coen brothers (or one of them) have done Macbeth with Denzel Washington. Interesting to see how they set it up.

Comment

Am I the only one that can't see these posting properly? If not, why do people keep posting them when they don't show up as they should?
                                                                                                    It’s weird it looks perfect when it’s pasted in, I can’t see it either after posting.

Wordle 213 4/6

⬜⬜⬜

Comment

Wordle 213 4/6

⬜⬜⬜
                                                                                                      it's annoying that the text paste doesnt work isn't it?

Comment

No.

I spent a while looking at it this morning.
                                                                                                        Only thing that kinda made sense was unicode/ utf-8 issues in vbulletin.

I'll look later properly

Comment

Anyone else had a weird situation with betfair on thr Aussie open? I cashed out a few bets last week and then Djok wa kicked out and they’ve somehow taken €2k from my account. Helpdesk Is brutal and no phon number.

Comment

Not in any of those markets. They are really slow to answer when you have a problem.

Comment

For those wondering who the missing piece was in the Kevin Lunney thing......

Comment

Speaking of criminal matters, I see they have now arrested that Ashling Murphy suspect who was in Tallaght hospital.

Comment

Anyone else had a weird situation with betfair on thr Aussie open? I cashed out a few bets last week and then Djok wa kicked out and they’ve somehow taken €2k from my account. Helpdesk Is brutal and no phon number.
                                                                                                                  Would it be Novak bets getting voided?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Would it be Novak bets getting voided?
                                                                                                                    Yes, I laid Djokovic and then chose to cash out, where Betfair did so by laying the field essentially.

then Djokovic was kicked out they cancelled the Djokovic lay but not the others. It’s crazy.

Comment

Yes, I laid Djokovic and then chose to cash out, where Betfair did so by laying the field essentially.

then Djokovic was kicked out they cancelled the Djokovic lay but not the others. It’s crazy.
                                                                                                                      Wasn't this always a possibility though, it seems to be the way they do tennis? Though obviously it's hard to maintain knowledge of all their various rules.
                                                                                                                      But I'm guessing the lay side of the book was above 100% so could have been a warning flag that there's a potential banana skin.

Comment

Archive 81 is looking pretty decent 2 episodes in, very unique take on the story being told, it literally could go anywhere into several genres...intriguing !
                                                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

You shouldn't have too much difficulty with that kind of skill set. Was pinged before Xmas for a 12 month contract for a Sr Sys Admin job spec (fairly generic details initially tbf) but it gave 30% more than my current salary. I'm kind of 50/50 manager/techy at the moment with the better title but I was still surprised to see the figure tbh. Still worked out a chunk better when I factored in pension benefits etc. Even so, there are loads of permanent gigs available. I'm kind of the camp of wanting to go back to 100% technology and drop management/paperwork as it's a boring ballache. Much rather jump between different systems and projects to fix or roll out stuff.

Would you consider a hands-on IT manager gig with a focus on Info Systems/BI? There getting close to 6 figures.
                                                                                                                          Yeah got a brief sent to me for a low six figure contract gig for a govt agency earlier today.
                                                                                                                          I guess once you factor in the security afforded with a full time gig, a high 5 figure gig is worth it for the ease of mind.
                                                                                                                          At least for me anyway. Mainly it's just the hassle of spinning back up DPIT Ltd and all that entails. Doubtless worth it in the long run for for a 1-2 year gig I dunno.

Hands on is my bread and butter. Not too sure about big M management but overseeing a small team is something I do already.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X