This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Why would you deliberately put a letter in the wrong place when you know the correct letter to put there?
    Well if I only got T in the first line revealed, it's not that amazingly useful and I'm probably not getting the other 4 letters right on the next line.

So instead of reusing T in the next line, I now have 5 chances of revealing more letters instead of just 4.
    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
      For me it does because you realise the agenda he has, there’s always enough truth in these types of articles to make it sound reasonable when the subtext is the real text. To be fair it’s exactly what some are doing on the other side too, but its ironic that he’s using the very same approach as a way to criticise them.

It’s exactly why Laz has been getting stick all week in that some are dressing up a reasonable view like “hey lads here’s a few things to be aware of when you’re out and about“ and extrapolating it the argument to all men are responsible for the crimes of the few. Those who disagree with the latter will point to the former as to why the point is ok. (Laz isn’t doing this but is take stick for those that are IMO)
      Where is the stick ? The article -> His whole ambushing point is 100% spot on.

As for Lazare I havent seen anyone give him stick for his posting except maybe where he made it a bit personal.
      We just expanded on it and exposed the flaws . Still glaringly there .

i realised when posting it this guy has been lambasted on here before abefort without reason however he is 100% correct imo .

The point you forget ONCE AGAIN FOLKS . We KNOW .

Now the solution seem to be a new law to come down HARD on violence on women . Wtf

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

My glasses were €200 cheaper on spex4less than in specsavers, they're perfect.
        Pound shop, dealz do the job.

Her sky-ness
        © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Fuck it. I have to respond. Jesus christ though, have you read what I've been saying at all? No?

This girl's murder started a broader conversation.

A conversation about how women feel general fear of men. In everyday life, excersising, walking home, getting a taxi.

My whole point, a simple point, is that it would be helpful for more good men to be aware that that fear exists, whether it's based on statistical reality or not.

That awareness may do a little to help reduce it. Hitch argued it won't, and that's fine. I'm finished arguing it now.

I've said multiple times that I'm not looking to reach dangerous psychopaths.

I've also made it clear that I'm preaching mostly to the choir in here with that point.

It's mind numbingly frustrating that after three days people still are arguing something I haven't said.
          You've said a whole lot more than that m9.
          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

SPOILER

Fair enough, we're all speculating like fuck until the facts are firmly established.
            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Auld Hobbsy jumped ship too

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

Fair enough, we're all speculating like fuck until the facts are firmly established.
                So now his point is no longer genuine and valid?
                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

whatever happened to him? I don't think he was stellar anything ever, but he's really gotten himself into a weird weird place in the last few years no? Same with Gemma.

Maybe there is something in the water!

Comment

Why is nobody working on general solutions as opposed to punishments and pointing fingers at men ?

The below may seem silly but if it were part of the zeitgeist who knows what improvements can be made. Verbal communications can be misunderstood/misinterpreted.

It’s probably not workable but there is something in there that could be done.

How about a code that is a well known as 911/999 that ANY body can shout/say to indicate they are A) Uncomfortable 2 ) In Danger

Like borrowing from the cops way of reporting to base

In a PUB a girl (or bloke) can say. Eg 501 = I’m UNCOMFORTABLE HERE - Nearby folk can then ask her if she’s ok. 502 = I’m IN DANGER etc.
                    Make these part of the culture. Then there is ZERO misunderstanding about what is going on in social situations plus a quicker way to communicate it.

Can even be applied to late night walking. A simple text to your 501 contacts if you might need intervention and 502 for Emergencys.
                    You might even have a safe code to say to folk late at night, Say 22 . meaning I’m a good guy (right Laz) . Ok it might be misused but 99.9 people won’t .
                    I know these are a bit zany but Just off the top of my head . I’m sure if people were thinking of SOLUTIONS we might make some progress.

Comment

You've said a whole lot more than that m9.
                      M9 i like it. When its not really a mate but not a stranger. Add this to the list

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

whatever happened to him? I don't think he was stellar anything ever, but he's really gotten himself into a weird weird place in the last few years no? Same with Gemma.

Isn’t is all just levels of trying to stay somewhat relevant?
                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

So now his point is no longer genuine and valid?
                          I mean as a criticism of the specific argument it would be... obviously he isn't the only one who's desperately eager to believe a rumour that fits his worldview. Good and bad on both sides innit.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Yeah noticed that recently, how far off the deep end he went.

Wasn't he involved in persuading your one Dolores the Euromillions winner to invest in property in Detroit?

Maybe he went insane just before that.
                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Well if I only got T in the first line revealed, it's not that amazingly useful and I'm probably not getting the other 4 letters right on the next line.

So instead of reusing T in the next line, I now have 5 chances of revealing more letters instead of just 4.
                              My aim is to get it as quickly as possible (not always done mind), and If I know there is a T as letter 1 then my next guess will have a T in it too in letter 1, and if a letter isn't in the right palce, I'll try to find the right place for it next guess, although I see your point. I don't have hard mode enabled (didn't even know it was a thing until today) but almost always do that by default anyway. My record is ok, far from stellar though.

13 games so far

0 x 1 guess
                              1 x 2 guesses
                              2 x 3 guesses
                              8 x 4 guesses
                              0 x 5 guesses
                              2 x 6 guesses.

Comment

I mean as a criticism of the specific argument it would be... obviously he isn't the only one who's desperately eager to believe a rumour that fits his worldview. Good and bad on both sides innit.
                                It probably is a foreign national. It would make sense as to the reason the guards grabbed the Romanian guy. Eye witnesses could have said it was a foreign looking man.

Comment

What I want to know though Laz, is if you'll cross the road to avoid a catholic? I have definitely given very wide berths to the mentalists with the microphones in cities who think we all need to be repent before we burn in the fires of hell.

Comment

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

My aim is to get it as quickly as possible (not always done mind), and If I know there is a T as letter 1 then my next guess will have a T in it too in letter 1, and if a letter isn't in the right palce, I'll try to find the right place for it next guess, although I see your point. I don't have hard mode enabled (didn't even know it was a thing until today) but almost always do that by default anyway. My record is ok, far from stellar though.

13 games so far

0 x 1 guess
                                      1 x 2 guesses
                                      2 x 3 guesses
                                      8 x 4 guesses
                                      0 x 5 guesses
                                      2 x 6 guesses.
                                      I've 14 played and

0x1
                                      1x2
                                      3x3
                                      3x4
                                      5x5
                                      1x6

Lost the very first one TRUSS because I didn't think you could have two Ss.

Comment

Ya double use of letters and American spelling seems like cheating to me.

Comment

What I want to know though Laz, is if you'll cross the road to avoid a catholic? I have definitely given very wide berths to the mentalists with the microphones in cities who think we all need to be repent before we burn in the fires of hell.
                                          Called one a fucking eejit or something similar on Grafton St before and he shouted abuse at me through his megaphone lol

Comment

Cape Verde apartments.

His wikipedia page looks suspiciously well-curated imo.
                                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Phase 3 of Operation Uplift confirmed.

Phase 4 would require relocation to another continent so might have to sleep on that for a bit.

Comment

Hope this thread never changes . Shower of stubborn stick in the muds . Whilst not always predictable its a comfort to see the collective now in SPs old man waving fist at cloud era . Putting the world right since the noughties .

MK has NOT delivered today so im back in the African music shuffle. Gracelands came up twice . Forgot how grest that Album was ( cue the exploitation daggers )

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                  Hope this thread never changes . Shower of stubborn stick in the muds . Whilst not always predictable its a comfort to see the collective now in SPs old man waving fist at cloud era . Putting the world right since the noughties .

MK has NOT delivered today so im back in the African music shuffle. Gracelands came up twice . Forgot how grest that Album was ( cue the exploitation daggers )
                                                  still waiting for one entry unfortunately

Comment

Lads I have no idea what wordle is, I could google it of course but I'd rather be dramatic and make a post about it
                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                      Lads I have no idea what wordle is, I could google it of course but I'd rather be dramatic and make a post about it
                                                      it's a simple word game based on mastermind (the color game i'm sure everyone played as kids). put a 5 letter word up and it'll show you which letters are in the word, and which are in the right place. you've got 6 tries to find the word

Comment

I hope she carries this through to her leaving cert. Nice surprise after a shitty few years in school. I'm super proud of her.
                                                        ​​​​​ I think I brought home the wrong baby from the hospital
                                                        IMG_20220117_164847.jpg ​​​​​​
                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                          Me either Ted.

I'm assuming it's some code, because all the posts about it are suspiciously bland. Definitely some shenanigans going on imo.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                            I hope she carries this through to her leaving cert. Nice surprise after a shitty few years in school. I'm super proud of her.
                                                            ​​​​​ I think I brought home the wrong baby from the hospital
                                                            IMG_20220117_164847.jpg ​​​​​​
                                                            wp mini-Nav!

What does that actually mean, some kind of 'top performer' award? Looks like she got a nice envelope attached too, hopefully stuffed full of dollahs.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

wp mini-Nav!

What does that actually mean, some kind of 'top performer' award? Looks like she got a nice envelope attached too, hopefully stuffed full of dollahs.
                                                              Awarded for an excellent Junior cert. One other pupil got it from the Irish side of school and herself from the English side. . It's a one for all voucher in envelope.
                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

it's a simple word game based on mastermind (the color game i'm sure everyone played as kids). put a 5 letter word up and it'll show you which letters are in the word, and which are in the right place. you've got 6 tries to find the word

https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/
                                                                Not for me I don't think, words have never been my strong point.
                                                                airport, lol

Comment

A man sentenced to 7 years today for raping his sister over a 3 year period in the 90s. 7 years. Helen McEntee has been calling on men to do better after the Ashling Murphy murder and judges are still handing out lenient sentences. As minister for justice, she can do better herself and affect real change from her position instead of posturing and calling out an entire gender online.

It needs to start with stricter punishments, not "men do better".

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                    A man sentenced to 7 years today for raping his sister over a 3 year period in the 90s. 7 years. Helen McEntee has been calling on men to do better after the Ashling Murphy murder and judges are still handing out lenient sentences. As minister for justice, she can do better herself and affect real change from her position instead of posturing and calling out an entire gender online.

It needs to start with stricter punishments, not "men do better".
                                                                    I’m not sure that stricter punishments really make any difference.

like yeah fine, put them away for longer might reduce the chances of repeat offenders simply due to less time or opportunity to commit.

but I don’t think these offenders are really disincentivized by stricter punishment. It’s not like they are thinking rationally.

edit do you think that lad who got 7 years weighed up the scenario and decided that since he was only going to get 7 years or so that the consistent rapes were worth it?
                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Also, rewriting law overnight is rarely a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

I almost asked you the other day on twitter when you put up a 3 'did you beat your wife?' Until I read it back.
                                                                        Jaysis
                                                                        I beat her most days now. Gets what she deserves.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

like yeah fine, put them away for longer might reduce the chances of repeat offenders simply due to less time or opportunity to commit.

but I don’t think these offenders are really disincentivized by stricter punishment. It’s not like they are thinking rationally.

edit do you think that lad who got 7 years weighed up the scenario and decided that since he was only going to get 7 years or so that the consistent rapes were worth it?
                                                                          Results vary by region and study but it it's well established in criminology that criminal activity follows a pareto distribution - 80% of the crime is committed by 20% of the population. And 80% of that 80% is committed by 20% of the 20%. Locking offenders away is by far the most effective crime prevention method we have. https://link.springer.com/article/10...87-019-00039-7

Comment

Results vary by region and study but it it's well established in criminology that criminal activity follows a pareto distribution - 80% of the crime is committed by 20% of the population. And 80% of that 80% is committed by 20% of the 20%. Locking offenders away is by far the most effective crime prevention method we have. https://link.springer.com/article/10...87-019-00039-7
                                                                            Is it the most effective method at preventing first time offenders, or repeat offenders?

Comment

To contract or not to contract....

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

I beat her most days now. Gets what she deserves.
                                                                                #Pray for Pokerhand.
                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Can we get on to Q jumping bastids now. Fecking epidemic of clueless twats jumping Qs these days.

Not sure if I breached etiquette but I was second in the Q and some lad coming from the right diesnt bother looking left to see the 5 person Q (in Tesco.) I had high hope's for my man on point but his methodology was a tad polite for my liking...sighing followed by foot tapping eventually summoning the courage to croak out a few wheezy excuse me's...finally gets jumpys attention who looks towards him and I'm thinking grand this will be sorted now (cant hear our man on point.but surely hes got this simple engagement covered) ..no..jumpy turns away and then looks back again and says.."is there a problem" (little on the smart side) ... at this point I'm frothing at the mouth and interject sharply with a "theres a Q here mate" jerking my thumb over my shoulder indicating the direction he should be walking in tout suite (which he did sharpish, which made me feel a little bad, but also a little good tbh)

Cant stand Q jumpers

Comment

I see the Ooni Koda 16 is going to 600 dollhairs...should have hedged a few at 400 last year.
                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Your edit is silly so I won't bother replying to it and assume its rhetorical.

I agree, they're not thinking rationally but 7 years for multiple rapes. C'mon like. The same with those animals who attacked the young girl in Ballyfermot, they got 200 quid bail. It's such a lenient system. Why arent they in custody awaiting trial.

It might not deter offenders because at the end of the day, they're scumbags. But there has to be a punishment to fit the crime and at the moment in Ireland, we dont seem to have that and seem far too lenient on serious crimes. Or maybe that's just recenct bias and I'm talking pony.

Comment

Your edit is silly so I won't bother replying to it and assume its rhetorical.

I agree, they're not thinking rationally but 7 years for multiple rapes. C'mon like. The same with those animals who attacked the young girl in Ballyfermot, they got 200 quid bail. It's such a lenient system. Why arent they in custody awaiting trial.

It might not deter offenders because at the end of the day, they're scumbags. But there has to be a punishment to fit the crime and at the moment in Ireland, we dont seem to have that and seem far too lenient on serious crimes. Or maybe that's just recenct bias and I'm talking pony.
                                                                                        The edit was rhetorical.

Every single country everywhere has a portion of people who believe that their specific sentencing guidelines are too lenient.

What punishment do you think fits the crime for the rapist of his sister?
                                                                                        What punishment do you think fits the crime of the lads attacking the young girl in Ballyfermot?

The sentence "But there has to be a punishment to fit the crime and at the moment in Ireland, we dont seem to have that and seem far too lenient on serious crimes." has so much going on in it, so much variablity, in so many scenarios that its effectively useless.

Comment

I need people... wanna come work with me DP? You can choose your poison!

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                                            Can we get on to Q jumping bastids now. Fecking epidemic of clueless twats jumping Qs these days.

Not sure if I breached etiquette but I was second in the Q and some lad coming from the right diesnt bother looking left to see the 5 person Q (in Tesco.) I had high hope's for my man on point but his methodology was a tad polite for my liking...sighing followed by foot tapping eventually summoning the courage to croak out a few wheezy excuse me's...finally gets jumpys attention who looks towards him and I'm thinking grand this will be sorted now (cant hear our man on point.but surely hes got this simple engagement covered) ..no..jumpy turns away and then looks back again and says.."is there a problem" (little on the smart side) ... at this point I'm frothing at the mouth and interject sharply with a "theres a Q here mate" jerking my thumb over my shoulder indicating the direction he should be walking in tout suite (which he did sharpish, which made me feel a little bad, but also a little good tbh)

Cant stand Q jumpers
                                                                                            All good, although point deducted for using the term 'mate'.

We're not Brits or Australians.

Comment

I'm not sure what punishment those fuckers in Ballyfermot should have gotten but a €200 fine, freedom and a comment about footballing futures is pretty outrageous.

If my daughter was left like that by them their footballing future would be over anyway.

Comment

@RD3

A brit would have given his newspaper a good shaking accompanied by a scandalised "well, really!"

Comment

Is it the most effective method at preventing first time offenders, or repeat offenders?
                                                                                                  Preventing crime overall. Bear in mind that given the pattern in the data, the probability that a "first offender" is on their actual first offense is minuscule. The chances are this is just the first time they have been caught.

Comment

Preventing crime overall. Bear in mind that given the pattern in the data, the probability that a "first offender" is on their actual first offense is minuscule. The chances are this is just the first time they have been caught.
                                                                                                    I don't think punishing people for unspecific crimes it's determined they are likely to have committed is a good road to go down.

Comment

The argument was about violent/sexual crime.
                                                                                                      The point was made that longer sentencing/stricter punishments is the start of a solution to preventing violent/sexual crime.
                                                                                                      For this to be the case, you have to accept the premise that violent/sexual offenders are thinking about prison sentences when they are committing/thinking about committing their crimes.

A good test would be, for what can be controlled, is there any evidence that countries with draconian prison sentences for violent/sexual crimes, say something like life in prison, or the death penalty, actually contributes to less violent/sexual crime on a population controlled basis?

I accept that longer sentences means that criminals have less opportunity to commit crimes.

Comment

@RD3

A brit would have given his newspaper a good shaking accompanied by a scandalised "well, really!"
                                                                                                        A true Brit would given a glare of icy disapproval but not have emitted a single sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

A true Brit would given a glare of icy disapproval but not have emitted a single sound.
                                                                                                          Nah, they do love queueing etiquette

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

I see there are incidents of dickheads sending warning letters to the media and deviling the vigil for Aishling. I guess there are actual misogynist out there . Is it really worth lecturing the 99% if you are going to further enrage the extreme idiots out there . like i said before it deepens the division. Pointing fingers never works . Lets here some gender neutral solutions by default you'll make progress .

Violence itself like those bastards Lazare mentiond should be harshly punished . I am willing to be the states official 'Birch whip technician .
                                                                                                            Last edited by Solksjaer!; 17-01-22, 19:54.

Comment

Cant stand Q jumpers
                                                                                                              Queueing should be decided by who wants it more.
                                                                                                              Not by who arrived first.

You are willing to show how much you want it by paying more, then top of the line.
                                                                                                              You want it but not that much, then back of the line.

Comment

The edit was rhetorical.

Every single country everywhere has a portion of people who believe that their specific sentencing guidelines are too lenient.

What punishment do you think fits the crime for the rapist of his sister?
                                                                                                                What punishment do you think fits the crime of the lads attacking the young girl in Ballyfermot?

The sentence "But there has to be a punishment to fit the crime and at the moment in Ireland, we dont seem to have that and seem far too lenient on serious crimes." has so much going on in it, so much variablity, in so many scenarios that its effectively useless.
                                                                                                                The lads in Ballyfermot haven't been sentenced and are on bail awaiting a court date in April afaik, my point was that they should be in custody (prison) while awaiting trial after such a serious assault. 200 quid bail is poxy, affects them in no way whatsoever. Yeah they're under a curfew, big deal. Shes possibly losing the sight in her eye and is scared shitless according to her public statement.

The multiple rapes, I dunno. I'm not a law man (no seriously, I'm not ). Plucking a number out of the sky. If I heard he got 25 years I'd say good enough for the cunt.

On your last point, yeah fair enough. Events of the last week weighing on my mind and I'm pissed off so I'm ranting.

It's not rational I get that. I wasnt going to post this but the Mrs was out for lunch in Dublin on Saturday with work mates. She drove in. I was in Mallow. I txt her at 1pm saying have a nice lunch. By 4pm I hadn't heard from her and straight away my mind went wandering and worry set in. Again, I know that's completely irrational. Of course she was fine, sent me a pic just after 4 of her enjoying herself. Still didnt feel comfortable until she was home that evening.

That's how fucked these latest events have me.

Comment

Queueing should be decided by who wants it more.
                                                                                                                  Not by who arrived first.

You are willing to show how much you want it by paying more, then top of the line.
                                                                                                                  You want it but not that much, then back of the line.
                                                                                                                  Let just fight for first place. And if you choose not to bring a weapon, that's your bad
                                                                                                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

The lads in Ballyfermot haven't been sentenced and are on bail awaiting a court date in April afaik, my point was that they should be in custody (prison) while awaiting trial after such a serious assault. 200 quid bail is poxy, affects them in no way whatsoever. Yeah they're under a curfew, big deal. Shes possibly losing the sight in her eye and is scared shitless according to her public statement.

The multiple rapes, I dunno. I'm not a law man (no seriously, I'm not ). Plucking a number out of the sky. If I heard he got 25 years I'd say good enough for the cunt.

On your last point, yeah fair enough. Events of the last week weighing on my mind and I'm pissed off so I'm ranting.

It's not rational I get that. I wasnt going to post this but the Mrs was out for lunch in Dublin on Saturday with work mates. She drove in. I was in Mallow. I txt her at 1pm saying have a nice lunch. By 4pm I hadn't heard from her and straight away my mind went wandering and worry set in. Again, I know that's completely irrational. Of course she was fine, sent me a pic just after 4 of her enjoying herself. Still didnt feel comfortable until she was home that evening.

That's how fucked these latest events have me.

The media have you irrational . A form of Mass hysteria kicked in . .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

The media have you irrational . A form of Mass hysteria kicked in . .
                                                                                                                      Nah, I dont consume much media. Gav Reilly for the latest on covid is about it.

Anything else I see or hear about is pretty much unavoidable serious issues like the murder, the rape incident and the beating of that young girl.

It's my own overthinking that has me irrational, nothing else.

Comment

Are you still etl data warehousing?

My opinion is the gap in pay for contract and perm has narrowed a lot of the last few years. Perm has gone up and contract relatively static - few outliers obv like rd3 crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Let just fight for first place. And if you choose not to bring a weapon, that's your bad
                                                                                                                          What is this? A society!?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X