Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lads if any of you ever get the urge to hide in a bush down by the canal so you can jump out on an unsuspecting woman, rape her and murder her, please talk to us about it first. We're here to listen.
    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

If you feel threatened you should cross the road .
      that would make him a chicken.

"why did the overly woke man not cross the road?"
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

remember posting light heartedly years ago on FB about the correct protocol when walking behind a woman late at night. Single path and you can’t cross the road. What do you do. Slow down and let her walk miles ahead. Speed up and go for it , coughing loudly as you go . (maybe not cough these days) . We are all aware of these situations and NOW we are made to feel even MORE self conscious.
        I remember standing waiting for a nitelink one time and a young girl from Rathcoole was waiting for the same bus . My recollection of it ( I was a bif tipsy myself) Anyway a guy was asking her stupid annoying probing questions and making her feel uncomfortable at the busstop. I was monitoring it and thought I’d say something to her. Tell him to fk off if he’s bothering you. She told him to fk off and he fk’d off. Not before abusing me verbally, which of course set me on my hind legs. Anyway me and young girl got chatty and then boarded the bus.

I then became self conscious that people might think I was chatting up this stunning young (Very young) girl like an old perve so I went upstairs to a different seat away from her. The thing is I would have welcomed a chat etc and I think she would have to , an innocent one at that about shit and Newcastle and Rathcoole. Instead I left her downstairs on the bus and then wondering if some other fecker might annoy her. What do you do there? There are also a situation where some girls were simply slapping people on the head randomly on a different occasion on the nitelink like singing it’s a hard knock life etc. I was somewhat amused but one guy got thick and I didn’t blame him really. I’d say he would have knocked one of them out but they got the message.

The guys slowing down to oogle your missus are probably clowns thinking it’s funny . These fuckers will never care. The rest of us , the 99.9 do care so we don’t exactly need to be made reminded our actions. We KNOW. However the constant drumming of that all men drum is counter productive in my view.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Depends on what you set the risk bar at. I don't believe women are at more risk of serious assault from a random encounter here than that Kentuckian is.

It's far broader than that though. Take the example of the female runner, excersising during daylight. I've spoken to so many who receive regular harassment from men. My own wife has experienced it. Running alone and cars slowing to a crawl. That guy is checking out her arse, her legs. He's not likely to do more than that. Do statistics remove the fear she feels in that moment?

Imagine yourself out running and being in that situation. I would certainly feel fear.

White people in Kentucky don't have those situations with black people to justify their fears.
          You're trying to move the argument from objective risk to perception of risk. This is uncontrollable. I can't help if someone has had a terrible experience with someone who has the same ginger beard as I do, and so fears ginger beards, I have no ability to influence that fear. I can't be held responsible for things that people with shared traits and features of mine do.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I'd routinely cross the street if a man was walking behind me for even a short while. I wouldn't be racially profiling them though.
            yup +1, will avoid creeps in general

Comment

I don't think it's understandable or even morally acceptable for a white man to cross the street because a black man is on the same path.

It's racism.

The whole 2A is based around white peoples irrational fear of black people and it's repugnant.
              This is the second time you've made this point, and I would urge you to think on it as it's clearly cognitive dissonance at play. I agree with you on the "using the person's skin colour to make the decision to cross the road" fully, now just go one step further and see that I'm making the exact same point about "using the person's gender to make the decision to cross the road to avoid".

Comment

I don't think it's understandable or even morally acceptable for a white man to cross the street because a black man is on the same path.

It's racism.

The whole 2A is based around white peoples irrational fear of black people and it's repugnant.
                Can't multi quote but the bolded bit is rubbish. It is perfectly ok to cross the street if see a black man, but it depends on the area. If it happened in Dublin, I wouldn't cross, but if it was in Los Angeles I would, but that would be due to awareness of the area I am in if it's rough or not. There are places you do have to cross, but it is not all black men, just certain black individuals, it is all about the environment you are in.

About your bus example.... If that happened to me, I would feel threatened also, but again that is down to environment, if there are people around or not.

I fully accept women are more sensitive and it is a bigger factor for them.... But it is there for men also to a lesser extent. So it not all men that is the issue... And the problem is the target that you are aiming your message at simply don't care, so all a bit moot. As the ones who care are fully aware of it anyway.

I don't think it is a over arcing issue as you are painting it, but more of an environment issue.

No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

This is the second time you've made this point, and I would urge you to think on it as it's clearly cognitive dissonance at play. I agree with you on the "using the person's skin colour to make the decision to cross the road" fully, now just go one step further and see that I'm making the exact same point about "using the person's gender to make the decision to cross the road to avoid".
                  I regret using the term 'responsible" as it's too charged, is incorrect and has clouded the point I'm trying to make.

You're still looking at it it seems from the wrong vantage point. The threatened person taking action.

I'm saying we, good guys, need to be the proactive ones in situations.

Willie's example above is exactly what I'm talking about. Stepping in and saying something when appropriate. Making ourselves invisible when appropriate.

I keep saying this but women are living daily with uncomfortable situations and micro aggressions that it's difficult for us as people with no lived experience to understand.

I don't think a comparison with racist Kentuckians is valid. They are not living with the same reality based fear.
                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

You'd have to wonder whats going through the head of whoever killed that poor girl right now and what his next step will be.

Comment

I've work to do, so will come back later. Want to say one thing first.

Pokerhand, crossing the street to avoid a black person is racism. You need to own that.
                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

If I saw a bunch of grey tracksuit wearing teenagers on the path I was in and I could cross the road to avoid them, I probably would. I wouldn't expect them to be aware (or care) that the perception of a bunch of grey tracksuit wearing teenagers is that they could be dangerous, and therefore cross the road to avoid others.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

No particular sympathy for Novak, but I don't like the way that it's been done.
                          "On Friday, the Australian immigration minister, Alex Hawke, exercised a personal power to cancel Djokovic’s visa,"
                          Seems to me something that only a judge should decide on.
                          If Priti Patel or Johnson had the power to overrule the courts in such a 'personal power' way, we'd rightly consider it a troubling situation.
                          It was done fantastically from a human (is that the right word?) level though. The guy seems to be a twat of the highest order and his family seem to be too. Seems to think he is above the law and better than everyone else. Fairly evident by the way he failed to isolate when he had covid (if he did have it) - putting a whole host of people at risk.

Well done and well played aussies.

Comment

We had some personal alarms delivered to the shop yesterday that we'd ordered a while ago..
                            Barely out of the box and a mother buying one for young daughter.
                            Daughter was like Magnus Magnusson in the rapid fire round "is it easy to use?"
                            "How does it work?" "how long does the battery last?"
                            Me "eh yes" "eh by battery", "eh... pass!!"

Not sure how effective they are or how often they would be misused etc but if you are going to go with a personal alarm you would probably need to drill yourself in its use as your ability to think and act change dramatically in a panic situation.

Remener seeing a russian speznatz guy describing why they train to these ridiculously high standards, that when the high pressure situation comes they revert to the very basics of the training.

Comment

ALL MEN can reduce the anxiety and spook-factor. Their fear is real and understandable.

Ways to make women feel safer include:

• Cross to the other side of the road instead of walking behind
                              • Keep your distance and give space if overtaking
                              • Don't stare
                              • Remove your face mask
                              • Walk your female friends home
                              • Don't make comments
                              • Don't be a passive bystander if you see inappropriate behaviour or a woman looking uncomfortable
                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

It was done fantastically from a human (is that the right word?) level though. The guy seems to be a twat of the highest order and his family seem to be too. Seems to think he is above the law and better than everyone else. Fairly evident by the way he failed to isolate when he had covid (if he did have it) - putting a whole host of people at risk.

Well done and well played aussies.
                                100%. Hitting him with the old rope-a-dope, 'you're out, no you're in, nah you're out GTFO' routine was classic.

That family press conference was hilarious.
                                'So Novak was dianosed with Covid on 16-Dec?'
                                'Yes'
                                'Can you explain why he was then out and about unmasked at various social events over the course of the next week?'
                                'This press conference is over!'

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                  If I saw a bunch of grey tracksuit wearing teenagers on the path I was in and I could cross the road to avoid them, I probably would. I wouldn't expect them to be aware (or care) that the perception of a bunch of grey tracksuit wearing teenagers is that they could be dangerous, and therefore cross the road to avoid others.
                                  What if one of them was black....hmm, the plot thickens....

(and why grey tracksuits specifically? )

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

What if one of them was black....hmm, the plot thickens....

(and why grey tracksuits specifically? )
                                    Grey is the basic knacker uniform. I'm sure it could be expanded to north face jackets, or certain types of runners, or canada goose jackets to signify those knackers doing well financially from their crimes.

Comment

I've stepped in to help a woman in "trouble" 3 times. Once I got a smack of a crutch across the top of my head off her when her fella was just dragging her round the place with her screaming for help.

2nd time yet man was punching the head off her, I shoulder charged him and he ended up on the deck, I was weighing up my next move when she attacked me with her heels and hitting me across the head.

3rd time was a local creep in Killarney almost stalking my sister as she walked up the street late at night and I was waiting to collect her in the car. I was watching him watch her and I just stepped out of the car and he fucked off.

I would be extremely reluctant to step in ever again in Amy situation tbh. It's not as easy as just saying "do something"

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                        ALL MEN can reduce the anxiety and spook-factor. Their fear is real and understandable.

Ways to make women feel safer include:

• Cross to the other side of the road instead of walking behind
                                        • Keep your distance and give space if overtaking
                                        • Don't stare
                                        • Remove your face mask
                                        • Walk your female friends home
                                        • Don't make comments
                                        • Don't be a passive bystander if you see inappropriate behaviour or a woman looking uncomfortable
                                        How do we feel about opening doors for women?

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

Actually just started season 3 last night, after a long gap since finished season 2. I do like it a lot, but it is let down a bit (seasons 1-2 and season 3 episode 1 anyhow!) with some dodgy acting. I find it so hard to deal with the Chrisjen Avasarala character, as for whatever reason I don't buy the actor's performance at all, which is a surprise as I believe she is highly regarded.
                                          I’m real bad for remembering specific seasons and their plots but I will say the later plot lines and stories are much better than the early ones.

It’s worth the wait. I was glued to the latest ep.

Similar to above, the Avasarala character actually softens the shtick in later seasons, at least enough to make her more credible as someone who could exist in that world. I think my initial impressions were similar to yours in that it seems like she was overacting.
                                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

How do we feel about opening doors for women?
                                            I'd be no more likely to open or hold a door open for a woman than for a man. If timing suggested it was the polite thing to do, I'd do it regardless.

Comment

I'd be no more likely to open or hold a door open for a woman than for a man. If timing suggested it was the polite thing to do, I'd do it regardless.
                                              It's one of those things from my childhood that has stuck with me as the done thing to do. No-one's ever complained about it yet.

Comment

I've work to do, so will come back later. Want to say one thing first.

Pokerhand, crossing the street to avoid a black person is racism. You need to own that.
                                                Nope. You assumed I was referring to all black men in general, which I wasn't. I was referring to a specific class i.e black homeless junkies in America, I would cross the street if I saw white homeless junkies also. Skin colour wasn't the factor, the judging of whether he looked like a homeless junkies was.

And that feed into the overall issue that is being discussed. Making sweeping generalisms and stereotyping. It is not about genders or racial tones being the key issue, but environment situation, which is akin to what Emmet is saying.

No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

I asked Mrs D3 about the walking alone\feeling threatened thing. She's out and about the whole time, walking to work, walking the dog, doing her hundred days of walking etc.

She said she doesn't feel threatened and doesn't cross the road to avoid people.

She also put her professional hat on and reminded me that the vast majority of violence towards women (and children) is done in their own homes, by people they know. The fear of strangers is not backed up by the reality.

Comment

Grey is the basic knacker uniform. I'm sure it could be expanded to north face jackets, or certain types of runners, or canada goose jackets to signify those knackers doing well financially from their crimes.
                                                    Ah here . Me norf face jackets . Too far too far

Comment

I asked Mrs D3 about the walking alone\feeling threatened thing. She's out and about the whole time, walking to work, walking the dog, doing her hundred days of walking etc.

She said she doesn't feel threatened and doesn't cross the road to avoid people.

She also put her professional hat on and reminded me that the vast majority of violence towards women (and children) is done in their own homes, by people they know. The fear of strangers is not backed up by the reality.
                                                      So are you saying that your wife was feeling safe due to knowledge and Lazare's wife was feeling threatened due to ignorance?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                        The general consensus is fuck him.
                                                        Everyone has been smashed with rules and requirements for 2 years. Especially those in Melbourne who had it much worse than Sydney. It’s a big slap in the face to people who missed weddings/funerals/holidays due to the rules if they wave it for him.
                                                        Talking the sister in law in Melbourne and she said the over riding feeling was embarrassment that he wasn't been allowed in and that majority wanted him to play the event and the people kicking up about were a very small but noisy minority.

Not sure if Sydney reaction is different?

Comment

are men part of the solution ? YES

Are ALL men part of the solution. NO

if you agree - reverse that . Same thing .

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

So are you saying that your wife was feeling safe due to knowledge and Lazare's wife was feeling threatened due to ignorance?
                                                            No, that's what you're saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Talking the sister in law in Melbourne and she said the over riding feeling was embarrassment that he wasn't been allowed in and that majority wanted him to play the event and the people kicking up about were a very small but noisy minority.

Not sure if Sydney reaction is different?
                                                              All the news coverage and indeed any snap polls seem to indicate a majority want him out.

Comment

Wouldn't catch me walking in front or behind a Traveller no matter what time of day it is. No Sir.
                                                                Don't care what that labels me.

Comment

My Mrs said the exact same.

That said she also mentioned she wouldnt be looking forward to our little one walking home/around alone when the time comes.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Ah here . Me norf face jackets . Too far too far
                                                                    It's OK Willie, I'd cross the road to avoid you too

Comment

On another topic (Kind of). I never really knew the story of Pauline Tully in Cavan but fcuk me. It'd put some Netflix "Unbelievable" True Stories to shame. Her story has come up a bit this week and she is rightly being commended for her strength and bravery of getting out of the situation where she was horrifically assaulted by her husband.

Bothers me that she wasn't asked openly in said interview. "C'Mere, when you married a cop killer and notorious IRA hitman that was a fugitive from the U.K, WHILST HE WAS IN PRISON for the former offense, Did you honestly think it was going to be some Disney love story?"

Anyway. Next minister for Children right there.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

My Mrs said the exact same.

That said she also mentioned she wouldnt be looking forward to our little one walking home/around alone when the time comes.
                                                                        That's just the parental instinct kicking in.

Our 10 y/o walked (well, scooted) off to school this am and I'll be expecting her home in about 20 minutes via the same mechanism, as she does every dayy. 2km or so.

The more independence you can give them, the better in the long run imo. Obviously balancing that with some cop on.

Comment

Massive pivot, but Smith's win (and Rahm and Cantlay's scoring) last week was a joke.

What does par even mean anymore?

Comment

Its a tight debate. No clear winner, but emmet is probably edging it. I'm not convinced that formalising the fear by having a social rule of crossing the road is the way to fundamentally address the issues. It emphasises the gender divide, rather than closing it.
                                                                            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Probably one of the best long-term solutions is to stop the heinous idea of single-gender schools, so you don't end up with these gender misunderstandings in the first place.

Comment

Which coincidentally was the big way that America went some way to overcoming its racial divides, by integrating schools.

Comment

Seems to me that using an extreme outlier murderous assault on a young woman is a terrible place to start a discussion of the undoubtedly real issue of violence by men against women (99% of which involves people known to each other) and then to frame it within the context of tangentially related, though no less real, phenomenon like objectification of women in media and pornography, male sexuality and the discomfort felt by women when out on their own in public.
                                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

What do you want it to mean? Even par has never meant anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                      Which coincidentally was the big way that America went some way to overcoming its racial divides, by integrating schools.
                                                                                      At the point of a gun in some places. But point taken.

(and if you think that was limited to redneck Southern states, have a read on the integration of schools in Irish neighbourhoods of Chicago and Boston. Not a comfortable read.)

Comment

every cloud....
                                                                                        Really don't like him
                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Nope. You assumed I was referring to all black men in general, which I wasn't. I was referring to a specific class i.e black homeless junkies in America, I would cross the street if I saw white homeless junkies also. Skin colour wasn't the factor, the judging of whether he looked like a homeless junkies was.

And that feed into the overall issue that is being discussed. Making sweeping generalisms and stereotyping. It is not about genders or racial tones being the key issue, but environment situation, which is akin to what Emmet is saying.

Yet another time to bask in the knowledge of Will Smith.
                                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

every cloud....
                                                                                              Really don't like him
                                                                                              McSavage?
                                                                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

No, that's what you're saying.
                                                                                                That what you were implying... Or did I misunderstand that?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                  Seems to me that using an extreme outlier murderous assault on a young woman is a terrible place to start a discussion of the undoubtedly real issue of violence by men against women (99% of which involves people known to each other) and then to frame it within the context of tangentially related, though no less real, phenomenon like objectification of women in media and pornography, male sexuality and the discomfort felt by women when out on their own in public.
                                                                                                  Yeah, see feminist theory states that it's all connected. Think I posted the rape culture pyramid here before. Ask any man and they know there's a world of difference between e.g. catcalling and murderous assault. But the idea is that the sort of person who would commit the murderous assault starts with things that seem banal or harmless to us and works their way up the pyramid. If men call each other out on the banal behaviours at the bottom of the pyramid, the idea is that the potential rapist never gets to the stage where they are even considering hiding in bushes.

Personally I think this is a naive idealistic approach based on a poor understanding of human nature. But it's undebatable that we could all make the world a generally better place for everyone if we gave the creeps nowhere to hide.
                                                                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

That what you were implying... Or did I misunderstand that?
                                                                                                    You invented your own truth and played it back to me as mine

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

every cloud....
                                                                                                      Really don't like him
                                                                                                      Who are they talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

David McSavage i think

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

Yeah, see feminist theory states that it's all connected. Think I posted the rape culture pyramid here before. Ask any man and they know there's a world of difference between e.g. catcalling and murderous assault. But the idea is that the sort of person who would commit the murderous assault starts with things that seem banal or harmless to us and works their way up the pyramid. If men call each other out on the banal behaviours at the bottom of the pyramid, the idea is that the potential rapist never gets to the stage where they are even considering hiding in bushes.

Personally I think this is a naive idealistic approach based on a poor understanding of human nature. But it's undebatable that we could all make the world a generally better place for everyone if we gave the creeps nowhere to hide.
                                                                                                          Obviously it is not simple but there is probably at least something to it, the more women are respected in each society there does tend to be less violence towards women. Things that are commonplace like murder and rape in less civilized places become less so the more repugnant people choose to hold each other for committing acts. Extremes of viewing woman as lesser in some countries down to catcalling or jokes all probably have some sort of affect to the mindset of people, even if the latter are small.
                                                                                                          Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 14-01-22, 17:51.

Comment

Massive pivot, but Smith's win (and Rahm and Cantlay's scoring) last week was a joke.

Speaking of irrationally overreacting to a specific context or environment.
                                                                                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Obviously it is not simple but there is probably at least something to it, the more women are respected each society is there does tend to be less violence towards women. Things that are commonplace like murder and rape in less civilized places become less so the more repugnant people choose to hold each other for committing acts. Extremes of viewing woman as lesser in some countries down to catcalling or jokes all probably have some sort of affect to the mindset of people, even if the latter are small.
                                                                                                              You could probably apply the same principle to 'seriousness of racism' (obviously there is no utopia where racism doesn't exist in some way but liberal democracies tend to do better and be less overtly racist).

Comment

IMO EVERYTHING hinges on respect . A bit obvious but its the biggest bug bear in society baring maybe North Korea where the glorious leader is the Queen Ant

Comment

Finally got around to watching Chernobyl during the week, I had heard it was good but did not expect it to be that good.

This too shall pass.

Comment

Was chatting to a lad in the shop the other day who was with with the United Nations in Iran (dont know what capacity, he was a yank) I mentioned my dad was with them as part of the peackeeping force sent to the Congo in the 60s after an ambush where a number of troops were killed. He commented the irish contingent were very well regarded within the group. No trouble or rapes etc. He was saying that even a soldier looking at a woman or cat calling could result in her getting beaten or worse by family as if she was responsible for or inciting their behaviour. killed in some cases.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                                      Finally got around to watching Chernobyl during the week, I had heard it was good but did not expect it to be that good.
                                                                                                                      Right! It’s very well done.

Dopesick next for you Ole.

Comment

You invented your own truth and played it back to me as mine
                                                                                                                        No I didn't.... Lazare talked about his wife feelings she get when out running and attitude about timing of running etc. You then said you discussed the topic with your Mrs about that and she said she wouldn't feel threatened and she put her "professional cap on" to talk about mostly the danger of violence comes from within the existing homeplace.

So hardly a stretch to see that you were implying that women feelings of threat levels is influenced by knowledge or ignorance of statistics of where threat of danger is coming from.

Statistically speaking, your Mrs should feel threatened by you

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

McSavage?
                                                                                                                          Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

David McSavage i think

Yep.

Have a deep dislike of the fella from years and years ago,
                                                                                                                          Painfully unfunny

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X