Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Titane is incredible. Essential cinema. Not for the feint of heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
      I bought an aeropress. There seems to be a range of thoughts on the best way to use it. On the box itself it calls for a ten second brew with a small bit of water and filling the cup up with extra water after. I found that method left me with too little flavour for my liking. I saw a video on youtube where the guy poured 200ml of water over the coffee and leaving it for 2 mins before plunging and that gave me a result more to my liking.

Any tips on how to get the best out of it? I remember Strewelpeter talking about using it upsidedown or something?
      I use the inverted method, same as in this article: https://samplecoffee.com.au/brewguid...rted-aeropress

I use one scoop of ground coffee and then add as much water as I want, typically enough for a small strong americano. For me 90 seconds seems to be the sweet spot.

Comment

Its impressive how many coffee places now do what the French call 'cafe allonge', essentially a double espresso, but letting the water run on a small bit afterwards, so you don't get the bitterness of a pure espresso. Easily the ultimate coffee.

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Is anyone planning to learn or do anything new this year, apart from dogging? Am in the market for new social activities.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            Its impressive how many coffee places now do what the French call 'cafe allonge', essentially a double espresso, but letting the water run on a small bit afterwards, so you don't get the bitterness of a pure espresso. Easily the ultimate coffee.
            But French coffee is manky. Let us only discuss coffee in the terms of a nation expert in its usage.

You mean a longo.

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

So if the Lotto isn't won on Sat, the Match 5 + bonus winners get the full 19m? The story wasn't particularly clear.

Would be more fun if they spread it out through the tiers, like you would win €50 for Match 3 or whatever instead of the usual €3. Think of it as cashback.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

This is an experiment that has a very clear intent of reducing consumption amongst a particular cohort and now that its here it needs to be tested and measured objectively IMHO those people who are spouting dumbass memes decrying the measures and trying to have it closed down because they have to pay a few quid more for a bag of cans are either morons or heading off down the road to join the lads.
                I know the point you are trying to make but i’m not sure you being very fair. I’d guess about 95% of alcohol drinkers in Ireland are reasonably sensible and don’t have much of a problem. Enjoy their few cans in the evening, bottle of wine what have you.

Take the can drinker, to make it easy we’ll just say he (or his household) goes through a slab a week. On average he’s now paying about 70% more than he was before MUP. In fact, if we take the price at which a slab went down to at Christmas time (€15), he’s paying about 170% more.

Do you not think that with these percentages, ordinary tax paying, not a problem drinker, Joe Soap doesn’t have a right to feel slightly agrieved? Especially seeing as his money is going back to Diagio etc and the dubious, unproven, ‘experimental’ as you say yourself claim that it will help problem drinkers? I think he does.

A small increase, maybe 10% he shouldn’t perhaps but then i cede that a 10% increase certainly isn’t going to stop problem drinkers.

I don’t really drink at home so i think its a rather unbiased view.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                  So if the Lotto isn't won on Sat, the Match 5 + bonus winners get the full 19m? The story wasn't particularly clear.

Would be more fun if they spread it out through the tiers, like you would win €50 for Match 3 or whatever instead of the usual €3. Think of it as cashback.
                  Well i think 50 quid should be the minimum win in the lotto anyway. Less prizes with higher value is what they should be doing, within reason. Like does anyone really want a return of €3 on their ticket that cost €5? I certainly don’t.

Comment

Brazilian's do this also, it's called cafe carioca. Smaller cup between espresso and americano. Carioca is also the name for people from Rio, not sure why they have exclusivity on this one.

Comment

Brag:Got 5 numbers in the most recent draw. Wasn't expecting life changing money obv but at least 5k+.

Beat: Grand total of winnings:€751. If I had binked the week before would have scooped 33k.
                      Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Brazilian's do this also, it's called cafe carioca. Smaller cup between espresso and americano. Carioca is also the name for people from Rio, not sure why they have exclusivity on this one.
                        Mrs D3's morning coffee is made in this way and she runs it through the espresso machine for 1min+ to get the desired amount of liquid. To me, it always tastes over-extracted and not great but I am a staunch espresso man so what do I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                          Titane is incredible. Essential cinema. Not for the feint of heart.
                          I just read a summary of the plot and
                          SPOILER
                          sex with a car? WTF??

Comment

SPOILER
                            sex with a car? WTF??
                            it's a messed up film. Watched it and mentioned it a few months ago. personally, i absolutely loved it

Comment

Trade in the Leaf.

This too shall pass.

Comment

SPOILER
                                sex with a car? WTF??
                                Have you not seen David Cronenburgs crash?

Comment

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-ne...ontent=bullets

HSE found the time to correct Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

I know the point you are trying to make but i’m not sure you being very fair. I’d guess about 95% of alcohol drinkers in Ireland are reasonably sensible and don’t have much of a problem. Enjoy their few cans in the evening, bottle of wine what have you.

Take the can drinker, to make it easy we’ll just say he (or his household) goes through a slab a week. On average he’s now paying about 70% more than he was before MUP. In fact, if we take the price at which a slab went down to at Christmas time (€15), he’s paying about 170% more.

Do you not think that with these percentages, ordinary tax paying, not a problem drinker, Joe Soap doesn’t have a right to feel slightly agrieved? Especially seeing as his money is going back to Diagio etc and the dubious, unproven, ‘experimental’ as you say yourself claim that it will help problem drinkers? I think he does.

A small increase, maybe 10% he shouldn’t perhaps but then i cede that a 10% increase certainly isn’t going to stop problem drinkers.

I don’t really drink at home so i think its a rather unbiased view.
                                    Not sure that a slab a week qualifies as sensible drinking
                                    Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

HomerHedge.gif
                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1710250&d=1642074024&type=thumb
                                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

Well maybe not but it was used purely as an example to indicate the % difference in price not as a guide to responsible drinking.

Comment

FI-lQcHX0AAKOKb?format=jpg&name=small.jpg
                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Have you not seen David Cronenburgs crash?
                                              Warm Leatherette... mmmmm....

Comment

Where the rubber meets the road on Covid stats......

In many parts of the world, official death tolls undercount the total number of fatalities
                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I like a decent sized mug of coffee so here's my Aeropress technique:

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Forgot a filter so couldn't show the flip. Here's the final result:

index.jpg
                                                  Attached Files
                                                  Last edited by AndyFatBastard; 13-01-22, 13:38.
                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Thanks pals. I think I wasn't letting it brew anywhere near long enough. Will try upside down too.

Comment

the funnel is just a waste of washing up IMO.

Comment

Merica huh!

Comment

Merica huh!

His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

New Lotts & Co opened in Terenure. Once you know you're getting robbed walking in, it's a super shop. Delighted it's there. Spent way too much last night on needless things but already looking forward to going back.

Terenure a strange place. Usually a cemetery for businesses and i always thought that was because of the lack of parking. 3 upper market grocery stores opened within about 80m of each other in the last 5 months. I'd say zero chance the 3 of them are there in a year and contrary to the demographic the Lidl and Aldi that opened in the last few years are flying,

Comment

the funnel is just a waste of washing up IMO.
                                                              If you have a smaller cup it's essential but when only using a big mug it is redundant. I use it about 30% of the time as my travel mug is narrow. I use a double wall glass mug most of the time at home, it does keep it warm for much longer than normal without being even warm to touch.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Very important the water is poured in anti clockwise and never clockwise, and when agitating i find south tho north rather than north to south...
                                                                It begins...
                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                  New Lotts & Co opened in Terenure. Once you know you're getting robbed walking in, it's a super shop. Delighted it's there. Spent way too much last night on needless things but already looking forward to going back.

Terenure a strange place. Usually a cemetery for businesses and i always thought that was because of the lack of parking. 3 upper market grocery stores opened within about 80m of each other in the last 5 months. I'd say zero chance the 3 of them are there in a year and contrary to the demographic the Lidl and Aldi that opened in the last few years are flying,
                                                                  there's one of them in Clontarf too, very easy to spend €50 on nothing really

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1710271&d=1642088858&type=thumb
                                                                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Despite Iago's best efforts on the behalf of his adopted city, the jury voted for Berlin (after the casting vote was used by me). Looking forward.

Comment

Ireland doing a great job of letting the Windies off the hook - from 125/7 to 193/8

Comment

Funnel is just for throwing your coffee and water in to prevent spillage. Quick rinse immediately after use and it's grand for the next cup. Might wash the whole thing once a week.
                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post

The one near me does Movenpick ice-cream.
                                                                            mmmmmmh.

Comment

Ireland doing a great job of letting the Windies off the hook - from 125/7 to 193/8
                                                                              Romario Shephard and Odean Smith took the game away from us a bit there. As their excellent names would allow them to.

Comment

Was listening to the parting glass todsy . Cara Dillions haunting version . Later on my liked songs roulette the Liam Clancy version came on. Its amazing both such very different emotions stirred by the same song but different singers .

Comment

Romario Shephard and Odean Smith took the game away from us a bit there. As their excellent names would allow them to.
                                                                                  Right back in it now
                                                                                  the swongs are great but the liquidity in incredible, 20million and counting

MyzmZ1t.png

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post

The one near me does Movenpick ice-cream.
                                                                                    mmmmmmh.
                                                                                    Seen that ice-cream a few times and assumed it was some cheapass ice-cream because of the woeful brand name. It's decent?

Comment

Right back in it now
                                                                                      the swongs are great but the liquidity in incredible, 20million and counting

MyzmZ1t.png
                                                                                      Cantering now.

Probably a good time to back WI.

Comment

Despite Iago's best efforts on the behalf of his adopted city, the jury voted for Berlin (after the casting vote was used by me). Looking forward.
                                                                                        Have managed to talk herself out of 5 days in centreparcs Longford so will be doing something similar meself.
                                                                                        I have had to agree to 2 nights at hidden valley camping in wicklow however.
                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Seen that ice-cream a few times and assumed it was some cheapass ice-cream because of the woeful brand name. It's decent?
                                                                                          Well done on not tweeting about that woman who was murdered yesterday. Seems to be a lot of suggestions that we should all talk to our murdering rapist buddies, and that will help stop it happening again. Meh twitter.
                                                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Faith Healer a grand evenings entertainment. Cusack and Gillen top class. Felt Lindsay's character was a bit repetitive but that's just tying the story together.

Walked out of the Abbey and realised we couldn't go for a drink together as it was quarter to 8. Poxy pointless restrictions. Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                              Faith Healer a grand evenings entertainment. Cusack and Gillen top class. Felt Lindsay's character was a bit repetitive but that's just tying the story together.

Walked out of the Abbey and realised we couldn't go for a drink together as it was quarter to 8. Poxy pointless restrictions. Meh.
                                                                                              Glad you went though. Hope you won't regret missing that lecture. Actually curious if lectures are not recorded nowadays. I remember someone bringing in a vhs camera to record some for someone who was in hospital back in 1988.

Comment

Someone from an organisation called Women's Aid was on the news just now and referred to a phenomenon of 'Casual Groping' of women. How is that even a thing in the 2020's ?

Comment

Someone from an organisation called Women's Aid was on the news just now and referred to a phenomenon of 'Casual Groping' of women. How is that even a thing in the 2020's ?
                                                                                                  I thought you had to go to Italy for that

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Glad you went though. Hope you won't regret missing that lecture. Actually curious if lectures are not recorded nowadays. I remember someone bringing in a vhs camera to record some for someone who was in hospital back in 1988.
                                                                                                    As it happens, our lecturer has bailed on the Thursday ones and sets us some work to do at home before next Thursday so can do it any time. Which is nice of him and worked out well.

And no, they're not all recorded which is frustrating as fuck cos things went so well online for 1st year, I was hoping it would continue. Commuting to/from campus is a massive waste of time. I'm doing an arts degree, it could 100% be done online but they insist on bringing us in.

Comment

Kinda funny that myself and that other Noel were most impressed with Lindsay's part. Must be an auld fella thing. He reminded me so much of my father, the slippers, the bottles of beer, the storytelling.

Comment

Kinda funny that myself and that other Noel were most impressed with Lindsay's part. Must be an auld fella thing. He reminded me so much of my father, the slippers, the bottles of beer, the storytelling.
                                                                                                        Haha, yeah. Mrs said the same. Bit of a grandad/aul lad vibe off him. He played it excellently. Just didn't add a whole pile for me when the other 2 were absolutley top class, especially Cusack.

Comment

Herself plys me with it when she
                                                                                                          has a confession to make but
                                                                                                          I've a ridiculously sweet tooth so bear that in mind.

​​​​​​​Where've you seen it as it's hard to source.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post

Herself plys me with it when she
                                                                                                            has a confession to make but
                                                                                                            I've a ridiculously sweet tooth so bear that in mind.

Where've you seen it as it's hard to source.
                                                                                                            I think it was popular in France, which is no good to you.

Comment

Well done on not tweeting about that woman who was murdered yesterday. Seems to be a lot of suggestions that we should all talk to our murdering rapist buddies, and that will help stop it happening again. Meh twitter.
                                                                                                              I don't touch anything like that with a bargepole. So easy to be misinterpreted. If I did have a hottake it would be that we should blame the murderer himself, not an entire gender, for the murder.

Such a horrific story.

Comment

As it happens, our lecturer has bailed on the Thursday ones and sets us some work to do at home before next Thursday so can do it any time. Which is nice of him and worked out well.

And no, they're not all recorded which is frustrating as fuck cos things went so well online for 1st year, I was hoping it would continue. Commuting to/from campus is a massive waste of time. I'm doing an arts degree, it could 100% be done online but they insist on bringing us in.
                                                                                                                Yep. The desired uni experience by a lot of students has changed, it's just the uni hasn't copped on yet. At least there should be a blend of online and live. Maybe two days live, to keep the student experience which a lot like, and anything else goes online.

Comment

I don't touch anything like that with a bargepole. So easy to be misinterpreted. If I did have a hottake it would be that we should blame the murderer himself, not an entire gender, for the murder.

Such a horrific story.
                                                                                                                  Pretty sure Noel is trolling me with that post as I tweeted about it earlier.

I think it's about a lot more than that murder, the blaming men thing I mean.

Women are all over social media right now talking about the fear they feel generally. Whether it's not going for a run in the dark, like this girl, or not walking home alone, or being afraid to get a taxi.

We (men) are responsible for that. All of us.

We all know nobody here, or very very few men we know are an actual danger to women. Women don't know that though.

It's just about being aware that they fear us. That awareness gives us the power to limit that fear. Not walking behind a woman at night time, crossing the street when approaching a woman. Maybe waiting on the next lift when a woman gets into one. Little things we can do.

We're not aware of that fear because we don't experience it.
                                                                                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Without wanting this to sound weird, but walking behind Irish women and walking behind French women (oh, it is sounding weird), and there's a noticeably higher level of antsyness in Irish women. It seems almost cultural in a way, the fear aspect. The reason why I noticed it was that I'd tend to be highly sensitive to little glances, so would always cross over the road, or make a wide curve when passing, in Ireland when there's any sign of edginess. But that was almost completely absent in France. I don't know the point I'm making here - definitely not that its womens fault that they are scared! definitely not that - but that there's something deeper to work on there, and further emphasising the idea of distance is probably more likely to make things worse? It emphasises the problem in a way? I don't know.

Comment

Maybe part of the reason is the higher level of excessive drinking in Ireland, meaning women learn to be more careful in the evenings to avoid drunk Irish men, and that's not a big thing in France, and then that crosses over into the general behavioural differences between the two countries. You don't have to be as worried that the guy walking up behind you has had 20 jagerbombs and is a menace to society.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Pretty sure Noel is trolling me with that post as I tweeted about it earlier.

I think it's about a lot more than that murder, the blaming men thing I mean.

Women are all over social media right now talking about the fear they feel generally. Whether it's not going for a run in the dark, like this girl, or not walking home alone, or being afraid to get a taxi.

We (men) are responsible for that. All of us.

We all know nobody here, or very very few men we know are an actual danger to women. Women don't know that though.

It's just about being aware that they fear us. That awareness gives us the power to limit that fear. Not walking behind a woman at night time, crossing the street when approaching a woman. Maybe waiting on the next lift when a woman gets into one. Little things we can do.

We're not aware of that fear because we don't experience it.
                                                                                                                        Are all Muslims responsible for any and all Islamic terrorism?

Don't try and answer immediately - just think about how you can find the same question stupid for one, and 'have meaning' for the other.

Comment

Yep. The desired uni experience by a lot of students has changed, it's just the uni hasn't copped on yet. At least there should be a blend of online and live. Maybe two days live, to keep the student experience which a lot like, and anything else goes online.
                                                                                                                          Fuckin crack some heads. What's the point in me knowing a guy on the inside if you're not gonna deliver

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X