X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Havent been to Lisbon yet.

You're right on Bologna, one of the finest places to eat and I can't wait to go back, but can't think of anything for young folk, just an old city with a big park.
    I took my mother to Lisbon for a week 20 years ago (after my father died). I remember it as a slightly ramshackle but very vibrant spot with decent food and lots to see/do.
    And very hilly! To the point of needing outdoor elevators to get up to some neighbourhoods.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      Sardinia, end of June. Would the temperature already be too hot for pasty Irish folks?

Looking at Iago and Flushdraw here.
      Should be fine. Mid 20’s to low 30’s depending on your luck. Closer to mid 20’s I’d say.

as for the family trip, come to Valencia though halloween tends to be just as wet as Ireland
      Last edited by Iago; 11-01-22, 21:17.
      Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Where are you going to in America MSN?

Think I'm off to Flushdraw country for a retreat for a week in last April or May. Is Malta worth spending a few days extra to experience?

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
          Where are you going to in America MSN?

Think I'm off to Flushdraw country for a retreat for a week in last April or May. Is Malta worth spending a few days extra to experience?
          Off to New York and Vegas with Channel 4 in a few weeks, fist trip to Vegas, I actually can't wait ​​​​​​

Malta is beautiful, especially Valletta. I stayed with the flushdraws a few years back so was shown all the sights. .although I had been before back in 1996 but that was obv a booze hol. I'd say three days more than enough for you to see stuff.
          Her sky-ness
          © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

If they've not been then bring them to Krakow for a trip to Auschwitz
            I'd second this, myself and Mia had an absolute Brill break in krakow, actually stayed in a hotel GAB recommended. Mia loved Auschwitz. Was plenty to do there. Very affordable and she learnt alot of history too.

I actually must do another trip to Poland. Anytime I visited it, it was very enjoyable
            Her sky-ness
            © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

Should be fine. Mid 20’s to low 30’s depending on your luck. Closer to mid 20’s I’d say.

as for the family trip, come to Valencia though halloween tends to be just as wet as Ireland
              Mid-late 20s about perfect so will look at that now (last week June is what I'm looking at), thanks.

Yeah, Valencia. You're not really selling it there. What's to do for teens/tweens?

Comment

If they've not been then bring them to Krakow for a trip to Auschwitz
                They had a more immediate experience, being a talk by a Holocaust survivor a couple of years back in our local church.

Comment

It truly is amazing how accessible the world is to us nowadays.

Although you need Denny Crane for the truly off piste TRs.

Comment

Strewelpeter did you happen upon the lorry perched on top of the bridge in Caragh?
                    No I was home before it happened the others got stuck.

Any idea how much damage was done? Last time the road was closed for 6 months and they put in concrete barriers that were supposed to stop the gobshites driving onto it again.

Edit: see this on the local FB page, looks like whatever sort of a yoke it is it might have neem just narrow enough to fit on.

271755768_5365529103460738_5337988616559361729_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=WcOFZ-c0HJcAX_DcwaI&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=00_AT_R70MljCXTe025dLnSsYgsr_fPaxDnYZMIaN9x9ot0uw&oe=61E256AA.jpg
                    Last edited by Strewelpeter; 11-01-22, 21:47.
                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post

Off to New York and Vegas with Channel 4 in a few weeks, fist trip to Vegas, I actually can't wait ​​​​​​

Malta is beautiful, especially Valletta. I stayed with the flushdraws a few years back so was shown all the sights. .although I had been before back in 1996 but that was obv a booze hol. I'd say three days more than enough for you to see stuff.
                      Planning a NY/Vegas excursion myself, but probably not until next year, so I expect an in depth trip report when you get back

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Planning a NY/Vegas excursion myself, but probably not until next year, so I expect an in depth trip report when you get back
                        Im currently using this app for NYC only as I'll prob just want to chill a bit by the time I hit Vegas
                        Plan your road trip or vacation with the best itinerary and trip planner. Wanderlog travel planner allows you to create itineraries with friends, mark routes, and optimize maps — on web or mobile app

I'm on a private group on fb and finding it very helpful

Now this whole break could go very random as herself is hard work and it's her way or no way. So we'll see.

She wants to see and do absolutely everything Inc two helicopter trips she can feck off bar she's willing to invest some way. I've four days in each place. I'll try do as much as I can. I just wish I could get over my phobia of navigating the tube, while also trying to get the Warriors movie out of my head. This would be a great help like lol.

I'm not really gonna plan anything for Vegas only shopping maybe a show and deffo a gordon Ramsey restaurant

What's the crack with a room upgrade. Staying in the venitian shur the room looks fab anyway so is there any point in asking?
                        Her sky-ness
                        © 5starpool

Comment

Due to fly to Florida on Monday for ten days golfing with the daughter. If either of us bink a positive covid test I'll kill a penguin. Dreading it.

The test has to be done within a 24 hour window which is also the closing window for cancelling most things for free. I'll be like a rabid monkey I tell ya.

Prayers and one times welcome all.
                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Due to fly to Florida on Monday for ten days golfing with the daughter. If either of us bink a positive covid test I'll kill a penguin. Dreading it.

The test has to be done within a 24 hour window which is also the closing window for cancelling most things for free. I'll be like a rabid monkey I tell ya.

Prayers and one times welcome all.
                            I am absolutely shitting the covid thing too. I'm like letting everyone practically spit on me in work currently as if I'm gonna get it, I may get it soon.

Strange times!

Well any best of luck
                            Her sky-ness
                            © 5starpool

Comment

MUP you say?

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I'd be immediately buying another 24 plastic glasses with my credit note

Comment

Im currently using this app for NYC only as I'll prob just want to chill a bit by the time I hit Vegas
                                  Plan your road trip or vacation with the best itinerary and trip planner. Wanderlog travel planner allows you to create itineraries with friends, mark routes, and optimize maps — on web or mobile app

I'm on a private group on fb and finding it very helpful

Now this whole break could go very random as herself is hard work and it's her way or no way. So we'll see.

She wants to see and do absolutely everything Inc two helicopter trips she can feck off bar she's willing to invest some way. I've four days in each place. I'll try do as much as I can. I just wish I could get over my phobia of navigating the tube, while also trying to get the Warriors movie out of my head. This would be a great help like lol.

I'm not really gonna plan anything for Vegas only shopping maybe a show and deffo a gordon Ramsey restaurant

What's the crack with a room upgrade. Staying in the venitian shur the room looks fab anyway so is there any point in asking?
                                  Vegas was my dream holiday and when we went I had plans to do absolutley everything. When we got there, we just went with things and it was a great trip. Most memorable show was One by Cirque du Soleil, a Michael Jackson tribute.

Assume you've been before so just go with things.

Comment

Fuck Sam and all who sail with him, disgusting scumbag, I hope he goes bust.

Comment

Vegas was my dream holiday and when we went I had plans to do absolutley everything. When we got there, we just went with things and it was a great trip. Most memorable show was One by Cirque du Soleil, a Michael Jackson tribute.

Assume you've been before so just go with things.
                                      Never been. Michael Jackson is actually the show I want to see. Adele would have been awesome but she's not playing the nights I'm there and tbh would prob cost a fortune.
                                      Her sky-ness
                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                        If you were currently 25 instead of 95 you'd love Sam
                                        Her sky-ness
                                        © 5starpool

Comment

He said he wasn't going to Vegas until next year.
                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

What price Johnson still being in No 10 this time tomorrow?

Comment

What's the Sam thing?

Comment

Never been. Michael Jackson is actually the show I want to see. Adele would have been awesome but she's not playing the nights I'm there and tbh would prob cost a fortune.
                                                Ah defo just go with it. I tried to make some kind of plan for each day/night and bar going to a show and a restaurant we wanted to try, everything else was unplanned.

Go shoot guns at The Strip Gun Club. Savage craic. You said you're staying in Venetian, we ate in Cut restaurant there. Very expensive but top class and the food highlight of the trip.

Comment

What's the Sam thing?
                                                  Get a slab @30 quid....

Sam stays out of trouble....
                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

What's the Sam thing?
                                                    Sam's Gala. The bag a cans man.

Comment

Also, dobby is Sam.

Comment

Get a slab @30 quid....

Sam stays out of trouble....
                                                        No he doesn't, he is clearly breaking the law and hopefully he lose his licence to sell alcohol.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                          Also, dobby is Sam.
                                                          Fuck that cunt

Comment

What price Johnson still being in No 10 this time tomorrow?
                                                            1/100 unfortunately.

Comment

No he doesn't, he is clearly breaking the law and hopefully he lose his licence to sell alcohol.
                                                              See I love a bit of quirky marketing, and Sam will profit either way . Go Sam I love Sam
                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

After the success of our family Halloween city break last year in Copenhagen, I canvassed opinions this evening for a similar Euro-break this year (limiting them to 'direct flights from Dublin' ) and got these suggestions:
                                                                • Bologna ('because my friend is from there')
                                                                • Lisbon ('because it'll be warm')
                                                                • Berlin ('they let you drink if you're 16' )
                                                                I'd be leaning towards Berlin myself - thoughts on the above for teens\tweens? Doubt there's much to do in Bolgna besides eating.
                                                                There's a lot to be said for the big hit of Rome. Thats just a beast of a city with everything going for it. Athens for the same reason, but a bit of a messy city.

For the same reason, Berlin is fantastic. Just endless great things to do. Its 'famously' good for families. Plus the accidental bit of history. Bratwurst also. Maybe Prague in the same camp as Berlin?

We're thinking of Translyvania for our next weekender, although it might be a while before we can safely afford it.

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

1/100 unfortunately.
                                                                  I'd be a layer at those kind of prices, maybe he gets through PMQ tomorrow but I think he will struggle to laugh this one off.
                                                                  Rumors there are videos featuring him and Carrie coming. Hell hath no fury like a Cummins scorned

Comment

Cheers, excuse my idiocy.

Also Satnav has me looking up flights and accommodation for New York. Haven't been to America for 13 years.

Sometimes when I think about that I actually feel a bit upset. It's strange. I have a deep love for the place and the people and I miss it.

Comment

Cheers, excuse my idiocy.

Also Satnav has me looking up flights and accommodation for New York. Haven't been to America for 13 years.

Sometimes when I think about that I actually feel a bit upset. It's strange. I have a deep love for the place and the people and I miss it.
                                                                      One dream in life, win the lotto buy an apartment in Manhattan. Went twice and just fell in love with it. It just is an amazing place.
                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

If it's legal then fair play to him, it's not his job to work out what intention the government has with their regulations

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                          If it's legal then fair play to him, it's not his job to work out what intention the government has with their regulations
                                                                          Maybe he could offer a deal that if you buy 30 plastic cups as a teenager for €30, then he will throw a neatly packed slab of cans in the wheelie bin. With a sign over the counter saying the lock on the wheelie bin has a code 1111. Thats also legal, presumably. That you can't be stopped disposing of your product. And he even has a lock on the bin. How is he to work out what the government means by minimum ages or minimum prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Maybe he could offer a deal that if you buy 30 plastic cups as a teenager for €30, then he will throw a neatly packed slab of cans in the wheelie bin. With a sign over the counter saying the lock on the wheelie bin has a code 1111. Thats also legal, presumably. That you can't be stopped disposing of your product. And he even has a lock on the bin. How is he to work out what the government means by minimum ages or minimum prices.
                                                                            In the late nineties nightclubs could only open late if they served food, so you could get a plate of the cheapest curry possible for free in a couple of clubs if you knew to ask for it, but it wasn't advertised and 99% of the ppl there would be blissfully unaware.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

In the late nineties nightclubs could only open late if they served food, so you could get a plate of the cheapest curry possible for free in a couple of clubs if you knew to ask for it, but it wasn't advertised and 99% of the ppl there would be blissfully unaware.
                                                                              I distinctly remember being in The Kitchen many times and loving the chicken curry.

Comment

In Steers in the Red Cow there was a supper break afair. Definitely a big part of the evening. That was the early nineties though when people still drank pints in nightclubs.

Comment

Mid-late 20s about perfect so will look at that now (last week June is what I'm looking at), thanks.

Yeah, Valencia. You're not really selling it there. What's to do for teens/tweens?
                                                                                  so weather aside Valencia offers a fair amount, we even have a cricket club

If you get decent weather which isn't a given end oct/start nov. it will be warm but it can be quite rainy too, there's an element of pot luck about it around that time.

We have the biggest aquarium in Europe with the usual attractions around it, they also have a lovely restaurant underneath where you can eat as you watch the fish swim by. Valencia zoo is also handy, with the added advantage of being a 5 minute walk from our house so we have annual passes and go a few times a year. The city is designed around cycling everywhere so there's a booming bike rental industry and the whole city is accessible by means of the turia river..I say river but the river was diverted decades ago and instead you now have a massive park that runs straight through the centre of the city with various cafes, playgrounds, pitches and what have you.

At the end of the turia, is the city of arts and sciences. The aquarium is part of this but they also have imax dome for immersive experiences such as walking with dinosaurs, exploring the galaxy etc and science workshops for kids/tweens. On either side of the turia by the city of arts and sciences are two shopping centres and food courts and you're only 10-15 minutes from the beach. You could use valenbici (dublin bikes) to get around and enjoy the full length of the turia in an afternoon.

The beach is probably out given the time of year but you could go for a walk along it if you got decent weather (water would still be 12-15 degrees but not sure that works) there are tonnes of shops and markets as you would expect in a reasonable size city and there are constantly events happening all over the city. Everything from language exchanges to cooking classes, theatre and music gigs (lots of cover bands doing English sets), plenty of sports entertainment, arts classes and you could wrangle a few hours for yourselves by dropping them into an immersive Spanish course while they're here. 2-3 hours each morning/afternoon in one of the academies in the city where they could mix with other kids their own age.

Then you have day trips, north to sagunto to explore the old roman ruins, west to the vineyards and mountains/natural parks, or south to the Albufera. That's the region they grow the rice for paella in and the albufera lake has some of the most stunning sunsets, go out on a boat and just enjoy the views. Peniscola castle is another day trip worth doing not to mention any of the food/wine tours.

There are lots of escape rooms etc if that's your thing and of course plentiful and very good value food and drink to be had.

Then of course there's the historical and cultural side, including Valencias 'sistine chapel' the torres sorreno and quart which are the last remaining gates from the old city complete with holes from Napoleons cannons. You can climb them and look out over the city. la lonja de seda world heritage site and Valencia cathedral and the usual museums etc.

In short there's a lot to do...

Comment

Failure to prepare, prepare ...

Comment

Valencia added to the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

There's a lot to be said for the big hit of Rome. Thats just a beast of a city with everything going for it. Athens for the same reason, but a bit of a messy city.

For the same reason, Berlin is fantastic. Just endless great things to do. Its 'famously' good for families. Plus the accidental bit of history. Bratwurst also. Maybe Prague in the same camp as Berlin?

We're thinking of Translyvania for our next weekender, although it might be a while before we can safely afford it.
                                                                                        We're trying to steer clear of places that we have been to multiple times and Mrs D3 has been to Rome a few times (for non-religious reasons).

Berlin just seems potentially great. I do have some trepidation as I have booked to go there three times in the past and each time I have had to cancel my plans as someone has inconsiderately died.

In terms of Mitteleuropa, I'd personally rate Budapest above Prague (which is still pretty good, Czechs are an odd bunch though). Bratislava too is good for a weekend break. I've heard good things about Sofia too.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                                                          you could wrangle a few hours for yourselves by dropping them into an immersive Spanish course while they're here. 2-3 hours each morning/afternoon in one of the academies in the city where they could mix with other kids their own age.
                                                                                          .
                                                                                          This would be considered as breaching several UN Conventions.

Comment

Iago, is there any time of the year where the weather 1) isn't too hot (like over high-20s every single day) and 2) it doesn't rain very often? Definitely sounds like a great spot for a family visit, and in my experience Spain & Portugal are just great for bringing small kids, as the people love them so much and they are welcome in restaurants, etc...

Comment

Berlin is a wonderful city. I would imagine easier to do with a family than many places (definitely Rome, which I do love but can be a messy experience). The museum where you get to see the Ishtar Gate is mind-blowing, so cool, up there with the British Museum for jaw-dropping stuff.

Comment

"At this rate, the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation forecasts that more than 50% of the population in the region will be infected with Omicron in the next 6-8 weeks," Kluge said, referring to a research centre at the University of Washington.
                                                                                                Seems the WHO has finally recognised what we've all known for weeks.

Evidence, however, is emerging that Omicron is affecting the upper respiratory tract more than the lungs, causing milder symptoms than previous variants.

But the WHO has cautioned more studies are still needed to prove this.
                                                                                                Maybe not quite there yet.
                                                                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                                  Iago, is there any time of the year where the weather 1) isn't too hot (like over high-20s every single day) and 2) it doesn't rain very often? Definitely sounds like a great spot for a family visit, and in my experience Spain & Portugal are just great for bringing small kids, as the people love them so much and they are welcome in restaurants, etc...
                                                                                                  Absolutely, April can be showery and oct/nov as well. December for example was 20 most days with very little rain and so far January has been perfect, 15/18 degrees each day and no rain. In general though Mar-May or Sept and early Oct are probably ideal times if you don't want to burn but want good weather.

March is Fallas...which is definitely worth a visit but very very loud. It's an incredible spectacle though, fireworks every day, parties every night and you can walk around the neighbourhoods and see all the edifices, then on the final night they burn them all.

actually one other thing to add is the museum de fallas where you can see all the saved fallas from each year. it's only €2 entry too.

Comment

PMQs could be a bit of a blood sport today. Nice to see Boris squirm.

I can't see the Tory MPs turning on the man who delivered them a landslide though. In the same way the GOP has consistently backed Trump. They are just not subject to the normal rules of political gravity.

These events can take on a whole new momentum of their own though so here's hoping I'm completely wrong.

Comment

After the success of our family Halloween city break last year in Copenhagen, I canvassed opinions this evening for a similar Euro-break this year (limiting them to 'direct flights from Dublin' ) and got these suggestions:
                                                                                                      • Bologna ('because my friend is from there')
                                                                                                      • Lisbon ('because it'll be warm')
                                                                                                      • Berlin ('they let you drink if you're 16' )
                                                                                                      I'd be leaning towards Berlin myself - thoughts on the above for teens\tweens? Doubt there's much to do in Bolgna besides eating.
                                                                                                      Might be of interest

Comment

One dream in life, win the lotto buy an apartment in Manhattan. Went twice and just fell in love with it. It just is an amazing place.
                                                                                                        For some reason the lotto seem to think the only aspiration potential winners have is to build water parks in inner city areas of Dublin. WTF is with their ads?

Comment

PMQs could be a bit of a blood sport today. Nice to see Boris squirm.

I can't see the Tory MPs turning on the man who delivered them a landslide though. In the same way the GOP has consistently backed Trump. They are just not subject to the normal rules of political gravity.

These events can take on a whole new momentum of their own though so here's hoping I'm completely wrong.
                                                                                                          I thin he's only a little bit better than 50% to get through next weekend. It's only a matter of time before he's before he is brought before the back room committees with the only outcome of that being a succession plan.

Comment

@ sp, I see our friend Novax is now lying like mad and hopefully digging himself into a hole big enough that the Aussies will feel justified in deporting the fucker.

Comment

I know we have been through all this before and probably will be again with Trump but these Johnson and Novax stories feel like a further test of just how far people in positions of power can lie black is white while openly laughing at both the gullibility of their supporters and the impotence of their opponents.

Seems to be the model for doing business in the modern world from Sam's Gala to Downing street.

Comment

I know we have been through all this before and probably will be again with Trump but these Johnson and Novax stories feel like a further test of just how far people in positions of power can lie black is white while openly laughing at both the gullibility of their supporters and the impotence of their opponents.

Seems to be the model for doing business in the modern world from Sam's Gala to Downing street.
                                                                                                                It's a simple playbook - first divide the people using fear, rage and disinformation. They are far more effective tools than hope and rationality.

Then do whatever you want as 'your' half will support you through anything, in fact the more you enrage the other half, the better they like it....even as it impacts them negatively (see; Brexit, anti-science nonsense).

Comment

If the govt was pretty much able to flick a switch and introduce MUP so quickly, why don't they do something useful with that power and introduce maximum rents. It would seem far more beneficial to the population than MUP.

Comment

Surely it’s just because there is nowhere to hide these days. Politicians , et al have been lying to us for decades. They just look less like Politicians now and more like Circus Clowns.
                                                                                                                    Top of my head liars
                                                                                                                    Bernard Hinuault
                                                                                                                    Rock Hudson,
                                                                                                                    Bertie, Charlie,
                                                                                                                    JFK, Nixon
                                                                                                                    CHURCHILL (mass murdering SWINE)
                                                                                                                    Mudder Theresea
                                                                                                                    The ROYAL FAMILY
                                                                                                                    Danny Diamond.
                                                                                                                    Bunny Carr

Comment

If the govt was pretty much able to flick a switch and introduce MUP so quickly, why don't they do something useful with that power and introduce maximum rents. It would seem far more beneficial to the population than MUP.
                                                                                                                      Maximum rents seem very complicated.
                                                                                                                      There are some houses/apartments, often relatively small (3/4 beds whatever), that genuinely deserve rents at the 5k/10K a month price point because of some exclusive selling point.
                                                                                                                      I know you mean 'ordinary' rentals, but that becomes quite hard to define. You almost have to do it on an area by area, house type by house type basis.
                                                                                                                      Limiting the yearly percentage increase was probably the best that could be done.

Comment

Awaiting the HH pro-Boris posting with interest given his previous love for Big Phil.

Comment

Prediction.
                                                                                                                          "There were lots of meetings held in various parts of the Downing Street complex, including the garden. In fact the world leading vaccination program was largely conceived in such outdoor meetings in the summer of 2020. I was briefly at the meeting in question with the incredibly hardworking staff, but wasn't the organiser. Sue Grey will look at that meeting in the context of her overall investigation. Deep condolences to all who suffered grievances, wibble. Things would have been far worse if the right honourable leader of the oppositions and his party had been in charge".

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X