Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iceland is definitely the most spectacular place I've been too. Just endless excellence. Having a place with a fridge and cooker would be well worth it, as eating out (not particularly good food) was next level expensive. We went up there and out to the Irish bar on the first night and spent a grand, leaving only a hundred or two for the remaining five days, but what a vibe that place is.
    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Mandalorian, unfortunately, gets old quickly. Wandavision is class.

Was it Encanto the kids wanted to watch? Its some movie!

Comment

What's the current restrictions in Belfast for eating/drinking?

Thinking of switching our trip to Paris to watch Connacht to an Ulster foray instead.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

My bro went out this evening to celebrate turning 40. Turns up at a restaurant and they have decided to shut two hours early 'for cleaning'. So they went to Burger King instead. As it turns out we are all surprising him tomorrow with as much of a party as 40-somethings can throw, but he must be having some existential doubts tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            Mandalorian, unfortunately, gets old quickly. Wandavision is class.

Was it Encanto the kids wanted to watch? Its some movie!
            Yes, Encanto. I only watched a little bit with them. They loved it.
            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Cheers gents . I'm definitely heading North . A wheelbarrow of cash needed then . Cant believe I've never been before . Booked the flights anyway so all systems go.

Succession had me in stitches at times. Culckin had the best lines. Anyone talking to me about covid will be getting a Roman rebuke. Dont fucking Chicken Little me.

Comment

My bro went out this evening to celebrate turning 40. Turns up at a restaurant and they have decided to shut two hours early 'for cleaning'. So they went to Burger King instead. As it turns out we are all surprising him tomorrow with as much of a party as 40-somethings can throw, but he must be having some existential doubts tonight.
                I always wonder when people use the word existential do they mean it in the Jean Paul Sartreuan way I first heard about it. Is existential angst a completely separate thing?
                Last edited by ComradeCollie; 07-01-22, 22:28.
                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                  Cheers gents . I'm definitely heading North . A wheelbarrow of cash needed then . Cant believe I've never been before . Booked the flights anyway so all systems go.

Succession had me in stitches at times. Culckin had the best lines. Anyone talking to me about covid will be getting a Roman rebuke. Dont fucking Chicken Little me.

Yeah, love Roman, but Tom's my favourite.
                  SPOILER
                  That scene with Greg with the blackmailing was fucking hilarious.
                  Last edited by Lazare; 07-01-22, 22:34.

Comment

Did they not inform him before ? They give out enough about no shows, which i can understand, but it goes both ways imo. Get on that twitter machine...JP would love that...
                    This too shall pass.

Comment

MUP taken apart here - it really is a load of cobblers put together by skinny fat moralising freaks in Lycra with nipples protruding- disgusting

doesnt affect me now - but I remember the days when the likes of Dutch gold were much appreciated and it’s a sorry sight to see the ladder being pulled up

Research published in the European Journal of Health Economics showed that "heavy drinkers are much less price elastic than moderate drinkers. The implication is that price-based policies may have little effect in reducing consumption amongst the heaviest drinkers". This is the exact opposite to the expected benefits of the new policy!

The HSE says that "we know [minimum pricing] will work" because "alcohol purchases in Scotland reduced by 7.6% in the year after it was introduced". But later evidence showed plenty of switching between categories and no overall decline. Two years later, the fall in alcohol consumption had stalled and the number of alcohol-related deaths continued to rise.

Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

That's shocking from the restaurant. Even if a member of staff just tested positive and they felt they had to close and clean, they should call people who have bookings for that evening.

It's my b-day on Monday so I am equally intrigued as to what Mrs Lao Lao has planned as I am feeling sorry for her as we always do something nice dinner wise for each other's birthday and I can only imagine it's a lot more difficult to organise at the minute.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                          MUP taken apart here - it really is a load of cobblers put together by skinny fat moralising freaks in Lycra with nipples protruding- disgusting

doesnt affect me now - but I remember the days when the likes of Dutch gold were much appreciated and it’s a sorry sight to see the ladder being pulled up

Research published in the European Journal of Health Economics showed that "heavy drinkers are much less price elastic than moderate drinkers. The implication is that price-based policies may have little effect in reducing consumption amongst the heaviest drinkers". This is the exact opposite to the expected benefits of the new policy!

The HSE says that "we know [minimum pricing] will work" because "alcohol purchases in Scotland reduced by 7.6% in the year after it was introduced". But later evidence showed plenty of switching between categories and no overall decline. Two years later, the fall in alcohol consumption had stalled and the number of alcohol-related deaths continued to rise.
                          That article is interesting but I wouldn't take it as gospel, for instance this: "It is doubtful that setting the minimum price at €1 exactly for a standard drink was "evidence-based", as it is unlikely that scientific evidence would have led to such a round number. This also leads to an interesting question"

Is nonsense and really makes me think the people writing it might be making other mistakes.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1709816&d=1641601672&type=thumb
                            Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

That article is interesting but I wouldn't take it as gospel, for instance this: "It is doubtful that setting the minimum price at €1 exactly for a standard drink was "evidence-based", as it is unlikely that scientific evidence would have led to such a round number. This also leads to an interesting question"

Is nonsense and really makes me think the people writing it might be making other mistakes.
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                              That's shocking from the restaurant. Even if a member of staff just tested positive and they felt they had to close and clean, they should call people who have bookings for that evening.

It's my b-day on Monday so I am equally intrigued as to what Mrs Lao Lao has planned as I am feeling sorry for her as we always do something nice dinner wise for each other's birthday and I can only imagine it's a lot more difficult to organise at the minute.
                              Yeah, pretty awful. But sure there we go.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

"heavy drinkers are much less price elastic than moderate drinkers". lols. Was that published by Professor Obvious? It's about stopping people becoming heavy drinkers in the first place. I don't know maybe it won't work, but the main opposition to it is not reasoned, it's "but I want to do this".

Comment

Yeah, was about to post something similar.

Pulling the ladder up is exactly the point.

Comment

People made the same nanny state arguments when the country got tough on smoking and that has been a massive success.

Smokers are now a rare breed. In my 20s everybody smoked, only weirdos didn't.

I remember the non smoking section in Eddie Rockets was a little table in the corner. You could sit at the counter and blow cigarette smoke over people's waiting burgers.

Comment

"heavy drinkers are much less price elastic than moderate drinkers". lols. Was that published by Professor Obvious? It's about stopping people becoming heavy drinkers in the first place. I don't know maybe it won't work, but the main opposition to it is not reasoned, it's "but I want to do this".
                                      Ha. Remember when you used to buy out of date beer in Rathmines, in order to stretch you alcohol budget

Comment

Jesus. Sinéad O Connor. Heartbreaking stuff.

I saw a tweet from her last night appealing for help finding her 17 year old son.

He was in a ward in Tallaght hospital on suicide watch and he went missing.

He took his life. Jesus.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                          Jesus. Sinéad O Connor. Heartbreaking stuff.

I saw a tweet from her last night appealing for help finding her 17 year old son.

He was in a ward in Tallaght hospital on suicide watch and he went missing.

He took his life. Jesus.
                                          Was just coming on to post same thing. God that's heartbreaking
                                          Her sky-ness
                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post

Was just coming on to post same thing. God that's heartbreaking
                                            Yeah, tough.

I only saw one of her tweets last night, the one where she asked if anyone saw him to tell him to come home, go to Gardaí. Didn't think an awful lot about it, assumed the kid was off with mates or something. Actually thought 'Jaysis the kid will be mortified when he reads that'

Only saw all the other tweets about Tallaght hospital this morn.

Comment

Loving this game. Nice little once a day challenge.
                                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/

Loving this game. Nice little once a day challenge.
                                                It's great fun.

Here's a version someone created that you can play over and over

Comment

The beauty of wordle is that it is a once a day, one off puzzle that everyone can share.
                                                  It's too simple to be bothered cheating and its great for sharing.

There are a load of clones and dodgy apps hopping on the bandwagon just use the original

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Saw that wordle thing the other day and couldn't figure out what to do...must have tried 20 times...then i figured out you had to hit enter...

Ill retire on a high...Yes, my wind went there first.
                                                    SPOILER

Last edited by oleras; 08-01-22, 13:07.
                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1709835&d=1641649254&type=thumb

It's great fun.

Here's a version someone created that you can play over and over

http://foldr.moe/hello-wordl/
                                                      Had to spell it incorrectly to win. damn yanks
                                                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

"Good table manners?
                                                        Faultless. We shared tapas, and when I mentioned I was vegetarian he agreed to go meat-free with me. He didn’t even criticise me when I ended up ordering the chorizo."

Comment

Poor Sinead. She is surely high risk herself now . Well much higher than normal anyway

Comment

Who's going to represent us on the Croagh Patrick climb with Charlie, Vicky and Tubs? Who knows, sure Vogue might make it if Gigi's sore throat has cleared up.
                                                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Gimmeabreak Faith Healer any good? We've been rescheduled to 5pm on Thursday and I'm supposed to be in college until 6. Dont particularly want to ditch a class in the first week back but Mrs wont be happy if it's good and she misses it

Comment

Slap in the face for the mandatory vax crew. They are probably worse at the science than the anti-vaxxers.

Last edited by Wombatman; 08-01-22, 16:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                  "Good table manners?
                                                                  Faultless. We shared tapas, and when I mentioned I was vegetarian he agreed to go meat-free with me. He didn’t even criticise me when I ended up ordering the chorizo."

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...date-ellie-tom
                                                                  She's a nasty yoke, yer man will have got lucky if he never sees her again IMO

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                    Gimmeabreak Faith Healer any good? We've been rescheduled to 5pm on Thursday and I'm supposed to be in college until 6. Dont particularly want to ditch a class in the first week back but Mrs wont be happy if it's good and she misses it
                                                                    You'd be mad to miss it for the sake of one or two lectures. The 3 actors were great, though I'm not a fan of the play at all. TBH my biggest problem was that I found my seat uncomfortable, which made it difficult to enjoy anything.

Was so nice to meet GAB in real life again. Pity he wasn't up for pints in Mulligans afterwards

Comment

Breaking news

Comment

Somebody a while back recommended Derek Delgaudio's In & Of Itself, Shrap I think.

Just watched it. Fucking blown away.

Comment

Somebody a while back recommended Derek Delgaudio's In & Of Itself, Shrap I think.

Just watched it. Fucking blown away.
                                                                          Genuinely moving and brilliant. Loved it so much.

SPOILER
                                                                          Can't remember, but wasn't there a spectacular ending?

Comment

Genuinely moving and brilliant. Loved it so much.

SPOILER
                                                                            Can't remember, but wasn't there a spectacular ending?
                                                                            SPOILER
                                                                            There was, he had somehow memorised every person's card choice, the 'I Am a' cards that they selected pre show. Blew everyone away, tears etc. Also, the backdrop cubby holes, that were physically there during the show, dropped as if they were just posters.
                                                                            It was just really lovely the whole thing and so well produced and performed.

Comment

SPOILER
                                                                              There was, he had somehow memorised every person's card choice, the 'I Am a' cards that they selected pre show. Blew everyone away, tears etc. Also, the backdrop cubby holes, that were physically there during the show, dropped as if they were just posters.
                                                                              It was just really lovely the whole thing and so well produced and performed.
                                                                              it's an absolutely amazing show. imagine going there without knowing what it's about. you'd be absolutely blown away, buzzing for a week at what you'd just experienced. i mean, even just watching the filmed show was incredible

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To...
                                                                                I feel I want to try more casual sex in the new year. Is dogging straightforward?
                                                                                why not try a casual sex app rather than going in the woods with lorry drivers

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

it's an absolutely amazing show. imagine going there without knowing what it's about. you'd be absolutely blown away, buzzing for a week at what you'd just experienced. i mean, even just watching the filmed show was incredible
                                                                                  Exactly. I had no idea what it was about going into it which made it all the better.

Comment

I'd have thought the show has a fairly strong reliance on the audience not knowing what they are in for.

When Laz says
                                                                                    SPOILER
                                                                                    he somehow managed to memorise
                                                                                    the 'somehow' is dong a lot of heavy lifting there.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To...
                                                                                      I feel I want to try more casual sex in the new year. Is dogging straightforward?
                                                                                      You could borrow RD3's hound I suppose.

Comment

The sooner we change our approach to this the better. It's a mindset thing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                          The sooner we change our approach to this the better. It's a mindset thing now.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...cine-taskforce
                                                                                          If we could guarantee that there would never be another variant, then this might make sense.

None of us had ever heard of Delta, let alone Omicron a year ago though so of course that guarantee cannot be given.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

If we could guarantee that there would never be another variant, then this might make sense.

None of us had ever heard of Delta, let alone Omicron a year ago though so of course that guarantee cannot be given.
                                                                                            Actually I see an expert quoted in that article makes that exact point.

Professor Eleanor Riley, professor of immunology and infectious disease at the University of Edinburgh, said: “Everything depends on whether another variant comes up.

Comment

why not try a casual sex app rather than going in the woods with lorry drivers
                                                                                              That's an oddly profession-specific reference shraaaaap.

I smell a rat, or possibly a dog.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

That's an oddly profession-specific reference shraaaaap.

I smell a rat, or possibly a dog.
                                                                                                not sure why, but always associated dogging with lay bys and lorries. no doubt there are a lot more doggers (is that even a word?) than there are lorry drivers nowadays

Comment

Never had Sharp labelled as the the kind who was into truck driving.

Comment

Hitch on the other hand ...
                                                                                                    sure that yoke's been failing his driving test for months.

Comment

Any bbv suggestions for brunch in Dublin?

Preferably somewhere that's not changing a 10er for a bowl of porridge.

Comment

Watched the Gentlemen last night. Excellent .

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

If coming out to stoneybatter is an option, Social Fabric Cafe is class.
                                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

The guy has some presence on the stage, i am sure it has been honed over the course of the shows, but if the magic doesn't work out he would make a fantastic theater actor.

SPOILER
                                                                                                            I was half waiting for him to announce himself as a fraud at the end and explain he was being fed information, then again, it may have only been a handful of people each night and all compiled together, i did notice Bill gates there and David Blaine he called brother which was really sweet.

At least i got my first cry of the year out of the system, really enjoyable and thought provoking.
                                                                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

We did Cleaver East about 2 or 3 years ago, was very good
                                                                                                              Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Welcome back to Instagram. Sign in to check out what your friends, family & interests have been capturing & sharing around the world.

Comment

Two Pups

Bibi's

Pepper Pot

Can't promise a bowl of porridge is under a tener in any of them. Not sure any option for brunch in Dublin is under a tener to be honest.

Comment

The specific 'not here' recommendation is Brother Hubbard. Awful awful food. They were once good, but obviously have no eye on the kitchen anymore.

I nearly cried at what they had done to the good name of shaksouka.
                                                                                                                    Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 09-01-22, 23:01.

Comment

Installed the Ring doorbell today. My god its a beautiful thing. You get a video call if anyone rings your doorbell and can chat to them, no matter where you are.

The second thing installed today was a hub for managing all the radiators. We have an electric only house, so the radiators are the main cost, but are all connected to a power hub. Its highly delightful going through the app - clicking on a room and deciding e.g. that my son was a bit of a prick today, so down to 16 degrees he goes. The power is something else.

We ran an unbelievable 140 kwh a day for the last week. At 16cents per kwh, that's €22 a day, with VAT it might be closer to €25 a day (I suspect 16 cents is the rate before VAT). Fuck! A run rate of about €750 a month. Mein gott in himmel. With the new radiator plan that shifts during the day, and the few hundred milimeters of rockwool insulation I added to the attic today (there was essentially no insulation up there, apart from a thin strip), I'm hoping this will now dramatically drop. Still going to cost a fortune though, so we'll have to get solar panels in as soon as we can afford. They could end up paying for themselves in a few years. And switch out the back windows of the house as a priority, as there are all single glaze. Someone said the walls of these houses are thin and you lose loads out the walls, but there's not much can be done about that at the moment, as I don't think external insulation is all that cheap.

Comment

The specific 'not here' recommendation is Brother Hubbard. Awful awful food. They were once good, but obviously have no eye on the kitchen anymore.

I nearly cried at what they had done to the good name of shaksouka.
                                                                                                                        Also the glasses they give out for water are pathetic, I got a spicy dish there last time and I had to ask for water several times...they also don't have jugs. Never again will I darken their door.

Comment

I ate there a few weeks ago and there were jugs lol. And the food tasted the same as always, amazing. Great cocktails too, ended up paying 3x more for them than the food.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X