This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Really? Surely an odd trip up to the north and down to Moore st would be profitable?
    Cigs are probably less than a euro a pack to import into the country illegally, five or six euro a pack to buy on black market vs maybe €13-15 in the shop, so it's clearly worth the effort for economically challenged people to seek them out in Moore Street, and for black marketeers to go to the effort of importing. Its probably not the same with slabs of beer. There's not enough gain for either the importer or the customer. Plus it's bulky as fuck.
    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Home brew is probably the realistic cost solution?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        Home brew is probably the realistic cost solution?
        ​​​​​​Ah you'd end up on the crack pipe waiting
        airport, lol

Comment

Cigs are probably less than a euro a pack to import into the country illegally, five or six euro a pack to buy on black market vs maybe €13-15 in the shop, so it's clearly worth the effort for economically challenged people to seek them out in Moore Street, and for black marketeers to go to the effort of importing. Its probably not the same with slabs of beer. There's not enough gain for either the importer or the customer. Plus it's bulky as fuck.
          Yeah that all makes sense.
          airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

I’d hope people will have the decency not to bring it up as a topic of conversation from March onwards- remember when is the lowest form of conversation.
            How's your hope of people having any sort of decency holding up to date?
            airport, lol

Comment

I hope the Flushdraws are all well?, I haven't heard anything in a while here. Heard the cannabis is meant to be legalized there soon enough which brought them to mind most recently?.

I wonder how much watches on each hand Iago is wearing these days?.

Comment

Maybe we'll get semi-professional at the booze cruises, a bit like people in the south-east of England pre-Brexit.

London-Dover is roughly the same distance as Dublin-Newry, and the former also required a couple of ferries to get to France.
                It's probably not cost effective for a couple to travel up in their micra buying a slab of guinness and 6 bottles of wine.
                But yer Brits would use a big lorry or a trailer, with 3 or 4 people travelling to split the costs. And then buy eye-watering amounts, 4 figure stuff.
                Perhaps we'll start doing that?

Though a couple of drawbacks would include that the max savings are only going to be on the cheap stuff - the medium/expensive stuff will have lesser/minimal saving.
                And part of the attraction of the Dover-Calais route was cheaper cigarettes, which won't be a factor.

Comment

I watched Queen and Slim last night, it's absolutely beautiful. Really a must-see. It's quite slow and contemplative but I can't remember a film having such an impact on me. The trailer has a few spoilers so best to skip if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                    Maybe we'll get semi-professional at the booze cruises, a bit like people in the south-east of England pre-Brexit.

London-Dover is roughly the same distance as Dublin-Newry, and the former also required a couple of ferries to get to France.
                    It's probably not cost effective for a couple to travel up in their micra buying a slab of guinness and 6 bottles of wine.
                    But yer Brits would use a big lorry or a trailer, with 3 or 4 people travelling to split the costs. And then buy eye-watering amounts, 4 figure stuff.

Though a couple of drawbacks would include that the max savings are only going to be on the cheap stuff - the medium/expensive stuff will have lesser/minimal saving.
                    And part of the attraction of the Dover-Calais route was cheaper cigarettes, which won't be a factor.
                    Or some enterprising sort might start home delivery from the north and take advantage of that soft border

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                      I hope the Flushdraws are all well?, I haven't heard anything in a while here. Heard the cannabis is meant to be legalized there soon enough which brought them to mind most recently?.

I wonder how much watches on each hand Iago is wearing these days?.
                      Tony watching the darts no doubt, we love an underdog !
                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Cunce just need to develop a taste for expensive beer. This shit just doesn't affect me.
                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Cunce just need to develop a taste for expensive beer. This shit just doesn't affect me.
                          IDK, say I'm John Carlsberg and I currently make a bomb selling Tuborg for €2.90 a litre, at the low end of the market, Carlsberg a bit up the way at €3.50 a litre and Kronenburg for €3.80 a litre for people with money and no taste.

The Irish government comes along and says Tuborg and every other drink in its low quality category now have to cost a minimum of €3.50 a litre. Hitch seems to think I'll say 'so long Tubes it was good while it lasted', shut down the Tuborg brewery and leave Carlsberg where it is at €3.50 a litre. I have just a ghost of a suspicion that John Carlsberg will have a slightly different approach and we'll end up with Tuborg €3.50 a litre, Carlsberg €3.80 and Kronenburg or your equivalent nice beer sitting at €4.10.

It's just going to be inflation across the board I have very little doubt.

Comment

We did two or three booze cruises back in the day, last one being 23 years ago. We got on the ferry to Hollyhead, got stuck into booze, got off in Hollyhead, headed to the nearest pub, which was a dive, sank a few pints in record time and then got back onto the ferry home to drink more cans.

Now, on the way back, we may have been a tad bit tipsy and we may have gate crashed the kids area and insisted that the children's entertainment also painted our faces. One of the lads went with the joker while I went with a tiger, can't remember what everybody else went with.

On arrival back in Dublin, the lad with his face painted as the joker got sick into the cardboard packaging of the slab of beer he drank on the way back and I can vividly remember some poor sod who was cleaning up pick it up and the sick ran out of the packaging and all down his arm.

We then proceeded to lead a large group of people the wrong way off the ferry as we sang stupid songs at the top of our voices. More fool the eejits that followed 8 clearly shit faced people but maybe they were tipsy too. At one point, one of the group, not so politely, asked us to shut the fuck up singing as his kid was trying to sleep so we responded with a lullabie which everyone else thought was hilarious.

Eventually, we ended up in the section of the ship where all the cars were parked (I should know the technical name) where we were met by an employee of the ferry who was not happy that we had led several dozen people down here and roared at us that if we weren't fucking singing, we would have heard the instructions on how to disembark correctly. We responded with several renditions of 'Spot, spot, spot the grumpy bastard' which went down well with the crowd but not the staff.

As we got off the ferry, I heard somebody say 'They're coming through now' on a radio but thought nothing of it, but sure enough as we got into the terminal, there was customs waiting for us who proceeded to ask us all our nationality. We all answered Irish and were allowed through, except my mates girlfriend at the time who was a yank. Now, she could have easily said Irish and sailed through but a combination of alcohol and actually being American meant she responded with 'I'm from the mother fucking U S of A'

Immediately customs asked for a passport which she did not have with her. She was living here for 10 years and didn't think a booze cruise to Hollyhead was international travel. She was arrested, told if she couldn't produce her passport and a work visa, she would be deported to the UK on the next ferry where they wouldn't accept her either and she would spend her time going back and forth until the issue was resolved. She and her fella were taken to a detainment room inside the port while they tried to get hold of somebody who could bring her passport/work visa to the port.

My mate, whose face was painted as the Joker, tried to complain and explain that although he looked like he was smiling, he was very unhappy at the course of events and it was clearly way OTT. This was met with a very clear 'Go fuck yourselves'

Eventually, they were able to get hold of the yanks flatmate who had to get home, get the passport/work visa and get to the port before they agreed to release her. We sat outside in a silent protest for a while but got fed up and went to the pub as we reckoned they'd never put her back on the ferry to the UK.

Should look at organising another booze cruise!

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

IDK, say I'm John Carlsberg and I currently make a bomb selling Tuborg for €2.90 a litre, at the low end of the market, Carlsberg a bit up the way at €3.50 a litre and Kronenburg for €3.80 a litre for people with money and no taste.

The Irish government comes along and says Tuborg and every other drink in its low quality category now have to cost a minimum of €3.50 a litre. Hitch seems to think I'll say 'so long Tubes it was good while it lasted', shut down the Tuborg brewery and leave Carlsberg where it is at €3.50 a litre. I have just a ghost of a suspicion that John Carlsberg will have a slightly different approach and we'll end up with Tuborg €3.50 a litre, Carlsberg €3.80 and Kronenburg or your equivalent nice beer sitting at €4.10.

Why did you pick Kronenburg? I had to google it to see if it's a real beer.

Comment

That was a roller-coaster of a read Lao Lao

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Maybe. But they probably have priced Kronenburg at the maximum they think they can get away with. And unless the craft beers raise their prices, if Kronenburg does raise theirs then they are competing against a lot of good quality imports without the quality to back it up. Maybe, I don't know really.

Comment

The problem with Tuborg is that it was famously been marketed as this cheap beer. How do you get people to buy it when it's no longer cheap?

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Why did you pick Kronenburg? I had to google it to see if it's a real beer.
                                      Because Carlsberg owns it

Comment

The problem with Tuborg is that it was famously been marketed as this cheap beer. How do you get people to buy it when it's no longer cheap?
                                        You make all the other beers even more expensive again I suppose.
                                        airport, lol

Comment

I'm already paying 3.50+ for a bottle of the finest German helles, they better leave that where it is
                                          airport, lol

Comment

Starting a diet with my wife in January. It's a five day fasting diet, called Prolon.

I'm not into faddy diets or any diets at all really, but Conan O'Brien and his equally cool guest on a show were discussing doing it and how everyone is doing it at the moment.

Then I did a bit of reading on it, and it's a box you receive in the post containing all food and drinks for the five day period. Nothing to be added except water. Sounds kinda interesting, not having to think about food for five days?

It's meant to be a one off diet to clean out your system. Where they explicitly suggest you shouldn't do it a second time unless there is a big time gap.

Read a few reviews of it and people seem to have a nice glow about them after the five days, but a painful five days, so here we are. I am what I am. I've become everything I used to mock.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

You make all the other beers even more expensive again I suppose.
                                              I'd imagine the off licence drinks market is highly competitive, and this would need combined action across a lot of companies. Maybe. I'm not so sure though.

Comment

Ah Hitch... I love Conan but that diet box just sounds like torture and the type of bullshit rich Americans fall for. Do you really need to do it? Next up you'll be buying shite from Goop and inhaling flavoured oxygen or something.

Jesus the photo they used on that homepage! I desperately want to punch each one of those models in the face for crimes against marketing.

Comment

Starting a diet with my wife in January. It's a five day fasting diet, called Prolon.
                                                  That's the one Bert mentioned last week. Genius. At least cook the soups, like Bert didn't

Last edited by ComradeCollie; 01-01-22, 21:46.
                                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Tuborg Classic is a really good beer.

As opposed to the crap we get here.
                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                      Ah Hitch... I love Conan but that diet box just sounds like torture and the type of bullshit rich Americans fall for. Do you really need to do it? Next up you'll be buying shite from Goop and inhaling flavoured oxygen or something.

Jesus the photo they used on that homepage! I desperately want to punch each one of those models in the face for crimes against marketing.
                                                      Yeah, it does seem objectively silly, but I thought it might be an interesting way to start the year. A challenge of sorts. Plus I need to lose a small bit more weight to fit into my fancy new suit, and thought the idea of a cleanse is interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

That's the one Bert mentioned last week. Genius. At least cook the soups, like Bert didn't

Ha, it's making its way through celebrities like wildfire.

Comment

My (Irish) Norwegian mate drinks Tuborg because it's the cheapest beer there. Does cost about €4 a can though.

Comment

Will MUP affect people who drink Trappist ales out of a goblet?
                                                            asking for a friend
                                                            Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

I'm not into faddy diets or any diets at all really, but Conan O'Brien and his equally cool guest on a show were discussing doing it and how everyone is doing it at the moment.

Then I did a bit of reading on it, and it's a box you receive in the post containing all food and drinks for the five day period. Nothing to be added except water. Sounds kinda interesting, not having to think about food for five days?

It's meant to be a one off diet to clean out your system. Where they explicitly suggest you shouldn't do it a second time unless there is a big time gap.

Read a few reviews of it and people seem to have a nice glow about them after the five days, but a painful five days, so here we are. I am what I am. I've become everything I used to mock.
                                                              Don't do this nonsense Hitch. Jesus.

Comment

Hitchhiker's Guide To...

If you want to look at a controlled diet, go with the likes of Gourmet Fuel or somebody similar. You can order set calorie lunches/dinners which actually taste pretty decent.

Comment

I'm just about to take two Beef pies off the barbecue, fuck those fad diets.

Howya Dom

Comment

I’m starting the New Years diet with Cheese, Meats and Wine
                                                                    His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Don't do this nonsense Hitch. Jesus.
                                                                      Ah please. We don't often get free entertainment of this calibre.

Let the man do the crazy thing.
                                                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I think if you're doing any sort of major change to your diet because it's the first week of January you've already failed at whatever long term goal you want to achieve.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Ah please. We don't often get free entertainment of this calibre.

Let the man do the crazy thing.
                                                                          I would have moved to Bray if it wasn't for ye fuckers. Do indeed let me have this.

Comment

I think if you're doing any sort of major change to your diet because it's the first week of January you've already failed at whatever long term goal you want to achieve.
                                                                            You'll be laughing out the other side of your uncleansed colon when I'm top of the walk, king of the game, glowing from the inside.

Comment

I've mentioned it once before, but this current season of The Challenge: All Stars (oldish people competing version of The Challenge), is just great. The human drama is through the roof.

Comment

My birthday is in January . Last time I checked yonks ago so was half of the poker forum

My goal for 2022 is to have no targets only habits both new and broken. Get me some good habits . Gonna have a stab at this kindness lark. I heard its fulfilling Hmmm I guess that is a target. Ah feck off ya cunts .

Comment

Sucession. Roman is my fav weasel and Sibhs Arse should win a Grammy .

Comment

You'll be laughing out the other side of your uncleansed colon when I'm top of the walk, king of the game, glowing from the inside.

Good luck man, sorry, on a re read of that it comes across quite aggro

Comment

Y'know the best diet of all is simply to eat less.

Comment

Our weight/health now is a result of habits in the past, any changes made need to be sustainable or people generally go right back to the old ways and reach equilibrium where they were before.

Comment

Don't listen to them Hitch, anytime anyone mentions anything about dieting or fasting every tom dick and harry comes out of the woodwork to pooh-pooh it with some nonsense their domestic studies teacher told them. Fasting is perfectly healthy, at worst you're overpaying but that's basically the fashion here anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                            Don't listen to them Hitch, anytime anyone mentions anything about dieting or fasting every tom dick and harry comes out of the woodwork to pooh-pooh it with some nonsense their domestic studies teacher told them. Fasting is perfectly healthy, at worst you're overpaying but that's basically the fashion here anyway.
                                                                                            Fasting is perfectly healthy for sure. Eat less food (and drink less caffeine).

Seriously. Just eat less.

Comment

Good luck man, sorry, on a re read of that it comes across quite aggro
                                                                                              Ha no, it's quite probably a stupid idea.

Comment

All these years have I not managed to put the obvious going cold turkey and post Christmas binge abstinence together. Always presumed it was more to do with the texture of a raw turkey and a sudden coming off junkies cold sweaty skin.

Either way hitch both yourself and your misses doing this at the same time, it’s a novel way to get your kids excited about going back to school I will give you that.

Comment

I never start my new years resolutions until Feb that way if I fall off the wagon I can say Hey I nearly made it to March.

I lasted very well through Christmas until the last 3 days . I refuse to throw anything out so I ate what should be in a bin ...urghhh. Fasting you say . Lifes too short and few enough pleasures to deprive yourself of food . I will however eat more slowly as opposed to the homer Simpson rapid Nom noming. Apparently slow eating is a diet plan too . Starts Feb.

Comment

Ha no, it's quite probably a stupid idea.
                                                                                                    At least post some photos of your €15, 120 calorie a serving packet soups while you're at it.

Comment

Was curious to see how much they charge you for "food" for 5 days so you can fast for 5 days. €179 could get you a fitness/nutrition coach for 3 months ish that won't starve you, you could be accountable for the odd off day ands actually get you into some good habits
                                                                                                      Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Eat less or exercise like a butchers dog. Do one. Do both. Whichever you prefer.

I'm currently eating excessively and exercising excessively. Need to change the excessive to moderate I know. Love food. My main source of unadulterated, lizard brain, pleasure. Thankfully I love sport too and all the lovely endorphins that come with it. I just know as I get older I have to dial both back. Digestion can be a challenge!

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Finished season 2 of Succession last night, what an ending. That wry smile.

Some show, really love it.

What's the craic with the show now, don't want to Google this in case of spoilers.

Is season 3 complete?

Comment

What's the craic with the show now, don't want to Google this in case of spoilers.

Is season 3 complete?
                                                                                                            Yeah, season 3 is finished and all the episodes are available.

'New show called 'The Tourist' is shaping up like it is worth a watch. Only seen the first two episodes but they have been great.

Comment

Anybody got a recommendation for a cleaner? How much they cost?
                                                                                                              Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 02-01-22, 16:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                                Anybody got a recommendation for a cleaner? How much they cost?
                                                                                                                Pre Covid we were paying €12ph

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Pre Covid we were paying €12ph
                                                                                                                  Thanks, thanks pretty cheap, where did you source them?
                                                                                                                  I guess that is some individual rather than a company, as they would likely double the price.

Comment

Well that was some first half.
                                                                                                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Thanks, thanks pretty cheap, where did you source them?
                                                                                                                      I guess that is some individual rather than a company, as they would likely double the price.
                                                                                                                      Yeah, was her friends cleaner.

Comment

Is season 3 complete?
                                                                                                                        Yep.
                                                                                                                        It's good
                                                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Weight change for the year doesn't look as great on a graph as it feels. Pretty nice 10kg gone, though a lot left to go too.

Measured Weight_kg.png

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X