X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Reminds me of.

Doughal would you like your pizza cut into 4 slices or eight ?

Ah 4 Ted , I'm not hungry enough to eat the 8.
    Was Jason Mcateer last time I heard that one!
    airport, lol

Comment

Dobby, you mentioned last week that you didn't really know much about the transwomen in women's sport issue.

Have a look at these couple of videos.

The first one is a swimmer called Lia Thomas who was Will Thomas up until two years ago talking about how fair the new IOC guidelines are. Note what they say about advantages, or the lack of.

The next video is that athlete competing at the top level of Penn state.

Ignore the author of the tweet as he's a cunt, a good example of 'don't shoot the messenger'

I can't understand why this is not only defended but sanctioned as totally acceptable at the highest levels of sport. Madness.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Was Jason Mcateer last time I heard that one!
        Probably Bob Hope originally if you need to trace it .

Comment

Fairly disgraceful that you can go into a offie or supermarket today and buy 24 cans for €15 and in 3 or 4 days they will be €40 minimum. I don't really drink at home but by god if i do then i don't want to be screwed like that.

As another poster mentioned, it's the fact that the money is going into the manufacturer/supermarkets hands that's the real kicker.

Comment

Mine the only house to regularly buy slabs of Guinness which get drank over the course of the next 4/6 weeks?
            24 cans for €40 is now the min we'll be paying, having regularly been able to get them for sub €30.

Almost never buy less than a 12 pack anyway, it's going in the boot of the car so bigger the better.
            Last edited by Emmet; 31-12-21, 12:40.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Sounds like you are suggesting a ban on multi-buy discounting of alcohol. That would have been perfectly sensible and I doubt there would have been much argument.
              '1 can for €1.50, 24 cans for €20' always seemed dodgy to me. Force the retailer to find a price point at which they are happy to sell to you regardless of whether you are buying 4 or 50.
              If they try to get around it by making the 24 packs a slightly different size (499ml or something) then slap 'em with a 'packs must be always be allowed to be split open at unit price' rule.
              Bulk buy discounts are totally standard across almost all products, with lots of good reason!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                Dobby, you mentioned last week that you didn't really know much about the transwomen in women's sport issue.

The first one is a swimmer called Lia Thomas who was Will Thomas up until two years ago talking about how fair the new IOC guidelines are. Note what they say about advantages, or the lack of.

Ignore the author of the tweet as he's a cunt, a good example of 'don't shoot the messenger'

I can't understand why this is not only defended but sanctioned as totally acceptable at the highest levels of sport. Madness.
                Jaysus that's insane. Laughable at yer mans comment saying people can compete without feeling uncomfortable and he looks extremely uncomfortable and like he doesnt even believe what he is saying for the entire clip. If the IOC press ahead with that, itll make a mockery of the games surely?

Comment

It is kind of bizarre just how cheap booze has gotten over the years though. When I first bought cans back in 1985, a can of Heineken was £1.16 in the offie in Terenure that would serve 15 year olds. I reckon that would be around €4 a can when inflation is taken into account. Could still afford to buy enough to get locked, puke all over a friends bathroom, and crash my bike on the way home afterwards.
                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
                    Fairly disgraceful that you can go into a offie or supermarket today and buy 24 cans for €15 and in 3 or 4 days they will be €40 minimum. I don't really drink at home but by god if i do then i don't want to be screwed like that.

As another poster mentioned, it's the fact that the money is going into the manufacturer/supermarkets hands that's the real kicker.
                    Booze cruises are back though, so there is an upside.

IPB Booze Cruise + home game in the bar?
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Jaysus that's insane. Laughable at yer mans comment saying people can compete without feeling uncomfortable and he looks extremely uncomfortable and like he doesnt even believe what he is saying for the entire clip. If the IOC press ahead with that, itll make a mockery of the games surely?
                      Well it's a done deal in terms of the IOC. They are recommended guidelines and it's now up to individual sports to decide whether to implement.

One of the first out of the blocks in favour of it was British Kickboxing.

World Rugby apparently has said no and is rightly prioritising safety and fairness over inclusion.

Comment

I thought you were in favour, equal rights and all that jazz, but now it sound like you are against it?

I haven't enough interest in sports that are impacted by this issue to have an real opinion one way or another but seems to be a complex enough issue, you can either regulate it heavily or not, but think these cases are in the minority so most people won't care but the problem is setting a precedent so need to clamp down on the issue or it will be open to abuse in the future. A tricky issue.
                        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Bulk buy discounts are totally standard across almost all products, with lots of good reason!
                          Yes.
                          But I'm not sure what point you are making - i'm just pointing out that stopping it would have been a different (and better imo) way to fulfil Hitch's idea of encouraging people to buy 8 units rather than 24.

Also being able to sell at any price you want is also standard across almost all products - except alcohol from Tuesday.

Comment

Jesus this is brilliant

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

I thought you were in favour, equal rights and all that jazz, but now it sound like you are against it?

I haven't enough interest in sports that are impacted by this issue to have an real opinion one way or another but seems to be a complex enough issue, you can either regulate it heavily or not, but think these cases are in the minority so most people won't care but the problem is setting a precedent so need to clamp down on the issue or it will be open to abuse in the future. A tricky issue.
                              You see, in this case there's competing rights. You can't be for one without being against the other. I think inclusion is vitally important in wider society for trans people, and fully support it. In this case though fairness is sacrificed. Fairness and safety in other cases.

Categorisation in sport is important, age categories, weight categories and sex categories. They exist to promote fairness and safety. They're by their nature exclusionary.

Yes there's rarity right now, but you're right, precedents are being set that could see the erosion of fairness in women's sport.

Comment

Well I’m not just sure, I’m omicron positive.

Mile enough symptoms, achey as balls the first day back and spine and legs and then fever dreams two days. The worst part of it all though is the wicked sore throat.

Definitely the worst sore throat I’ve ever had. Seems to be persisting too.

Hoping I’m out the major piece of it now though as wasn’t super feverish last night.
                                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Mile enough symptoms, achey as balls the first day back and spine and legs and then fever dreams two days. The worst part of it all though is the wicked sore throat.

Hoping I’m out the major piece of it now though as wasn’t super feverish last night.
                                  Have you felt this furlong?

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

My experience to a tee. Upper chest and throat on fire during the night. Fever dreams gone.

Comment

Friend of mine buried his 12 week old baby today who died Stephens Day.
                                      The funeral today and the parlour yesterday was something I don't think I could endure if it was the missus and I in their place.
                                      Makes any problems I have seem miniscule in comparison
                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Just noticed the BBV title

The wedding went ahead and we couldn't of asked for a better day it was absolutely fantastic. Don't think I've ever been as tired after it all and I was wiped out for the couple days after it.

The custom made Louis Copeland suit was awesome but the wifey looked utterly beautiful.

Hope y'all had a wonderful Christmas and best wishes for the New Year.

Look forward to hearing all the stories from the BBV I've missed over the last while.
                                        "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

I'm actually on the 4th day negative here, herself is much improved symptoms-wise but completely knackered. Have a feeling that she's going to be out of the woods soon enough and once work starts back I'll surely bink a positive putting me back in isolation for nearly 3 weeks total

Comment

You see, in this case there's competing rights. You can't be for one without being against the other. I think inclusion is vitally important in wider society for trans people, and fully support it. In this case though fairness is sacrificed. Fairness and safety in other cases.

Categorisation in sport is important, age categories, weight categories and sex categories. They exist to promote fairness and safety. They're by their nature exclusionary.

Yes there's rarity right now, but you're right, precedents are being set that could see the erosion of fairness in women's sport.
                                            I guess sport by it's nature is unfair, no matter what divides have been or will be created, so really this is all about how "unfair" people let each particular sport be.
                                            There isn't really a one stop solution to dividing people amongst sports and I'm sure sex is more/less important in each, just like height, lactic acid creation, lung size, how well funded your states steroid program is etc but any chosen criteria at all has downsides.

I'm sure if there was some domination problem in women's sports rules would just be changed, thus far trans women have been allowed compete in the Olympics for 15 years, only one has and didn't even get a medal. They've competed at school levels for decades too and there has been no domination, mostly not even medaling either. If there was some influx of people competing and winning that were trans I'm sure it would be seen as a problem and guidelines adjusted.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                              I guess sport by it's nature is unfair, no matter what divides have been or will be created, so really this is all about how "unfair" people let each particular sport be.
                                              There isn't really a one stop solution to dividing people amongst sports and I'm sure sex is more/less important in each, just like height, lactic acid creation, lung size, how well funded your states steroid program is etc but any chosen criteria at all has downsides.

I'm sure if there was some domination problem in women's sports rules would just be changed, thus far trans women have been allowed compete in the Olympics for 15 years, only one has and didn't even get a medal. They've competed at school levels for decades too and there has been no domination, mostly not even medaling either. If there was some influx of people competing and winning that were trans I'm sure it would be seen as a problem and guidelines adjusted.

Sport is unfair by it's nature true and that's totally acceptable. In a typical game of football for instance there are some players who were born with certain attributes that make them a better player than anyone else on the pitch. You could technically call that unfair, but it's an acceptable level of unfairness.

A team of men playing against a team of under 9s though would not be an acceptable level of unfairness. So categories that separate men from boys exist to keep fairness and safety levels acceptable.

Women have their own category for the same reasons. Unfortunately it's been proven that testosterone reduction and other transition treatments don't reverse the natural advantages transwomen accrue during puberty. These advantages cause an unacceptable level of unfairness.

I'm listening to women on this, those in their sports courageous enough to speak up. I don't think the current rarity argument is good enough. They all fear for the future of their sports. Societal acceptance of trans people, while a really great thing, will put an end to that rarity.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                Friend of mine buried his 12 week old baby today who died Stephens Day.
                                                The funeral today and the parlour yesterday was something I don't think I could endure if it was the missus and I in their place.
                                                Makes any problems I have seem miniscule in comparison
                                                Poor folk. Such a fucking horrible thing.

Comment

Some 6'8" top-500 tennis player will identify as trans, claim equal prize money for a season, and put an end to this nonsense.
                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

It's been a remarkable year however 2016 still amazes me. Still cant believe how many elite musicians died

In other news . The last Golden Girl just died. Age 99 . Betty White .

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                      Some 6'8" top-500 tennis player will identify as trans, claim equal prize money for a season, and put an end to this nonsense.
                                                      Pretty sure Serena is past her prime. Funny thing is a trans woman already played Tennis professionally 40 years ago.
                                                      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 31-12-21, 20:51.

Comment

It's been a remarkable year however 2016 still amazes me. Still cant believe how many elite musicians died

In other news . The last Golden Girl just died. Age 99 . Betty White .
                                                        Ah shit, was she not 100 in a few weeks, boo.

Comment

The only one that really bothered me was Bowie, though looking back on it now it seems kind of selfish to be bothered. Still amazed that he managed to keep his illness private, Norm Macdonald too. Class acts.

Comment

It doesn't effect me at all, as I don't think I've bought a slab of cans, or any drink that costs less than the new minimums from an offy in some time.

But surely if they are doing it right the extra money has to come in some form of a tax to be feed into health and addiction services and not just handed to the supermarkets. Seems like a v lazy way to look like something is being done.

Do the real problem drinkers they think they are helping buy slabs, or will they just have to beg for another 30 mins to reach the price of that flagan of cider?

Is there no rich problem drinkers? This only tackles the poor ones?
                                                            I'd say there's an EU competition or tax thing for why they went with minimum pricing rather than raising minimum taxes. Don't know though.

There is extra tax from this move, as there's now 23% VAT of a higher amount.

Things probably won't all get more expensive, but rather cheaper products that people were buying because they were cheapest will now leave the market. Why would you buy a shit beer for €2, when it's the same price as a decent beer also costing €2. The only sales point of the shit beer was that it was cheaper so it's out of a market.

We will probably also see a significant drop in excessive drinking. The ultimate benefit.
                                                            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Also being able to sell at any price you want is also standard across almost all products - except alcohol from Tuesday.
                                                              There has, for ages, been restrictions on below cost selling of alcohol, so it couldn't be sold at any price before now either.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                We will probably also see a significant drop in excessive drinking. The ultimate benefit.
                                                                Meh, proper alcoholics will find a way to consume their quota

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

When you've sacrificed family, friends and whatnot, there is always a way

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

It's about stopping people becoming alcoholics in the first place!

Comment

On to more important matters, look upon todays lunch down in a shabby port restaurant where you literally see the fishermen dragging the days lunch in kicking and screaming. Advertised as 'fried whatever the fisherman brings us', and it was truly glorious. Nothing added but lemon picked from a tree nearby (it is a lemon despite the green colour)

BRSMOYGl.jpg

Comment

Ireland is a bit of a nanny state lads
                                                                        Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

I still think most alcoholics are up there with the best people ever. Recovered heroin addicts are the only group above them. I regret only meeting Brendan Keneally after he gave up the sauce

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                                            Ireland is a bit of a nanny state lads
                                                                            Ireland is ridiculously hands off compared to every other country in the EU and the UK. We are so far removed from a nanny state its a mad comment to make. Some minor road and health restrictions and a rule that you must send your kids to school. The extent to which most other states get into your lives is a crazy extent higher (and for the good imo). We even outsource most of our outreach to charity groups, we're that hands off.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I still think most alcoholics are up there with the best people ever. Recovered heroin addicts are the only group above them. I regret only meeting Brendan Keneally after he gave up the sauce

Ha.

And topical.

A friend and I spent a New Years Eve drinking with Brendan Keneally in Madigans in Donnybrook. Must have been about 1995. Just hour after hour of amazing stories, culminating in one that starred himself, Flann O'Brien, RM Smyllie and Patrick Kavanagh going on the lash and ending up in Dalkey Quarry in the dead of night.

The punchline was "hello Smyllie, you bollix".

Comment

We thought this^^ was very amusing because the guy I was drinking with has always been known as Smiler.

To this day I still greet him with "hello Smyllie you bollix".

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Ah shit, was she not 100 in a few weeks, boo.
                                                                                  Didn’t wait around for the card

Comment

Happy new year folks
                                                                                    Last edited by Goodluck2me; 01-01-22, 00:02.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                      Merry Christmas ya filthy animals
                                                                                      And a happy new year
                                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Would also like to acknowledge Collies videos of Norm… he was a master

Comment

Farewell 2021 you extraordinarily weird year. It will be memorable because I became a dad and moved into my first home, however you made a mess of a thousand other things that you're not likely to be forgiven for in a hurry.

Glad to have you gone and done, not looking for any repeats.

Tóg go bog é lads and lassies.

Comment

Happy new year ya filthy animals.

Comment

Happy new year everyone.

Loved the year. But think it's time to gear up a bit next year.

My new year resolution is to start a business. I have the idea, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                Farewell 2021 you extraordinarily weird year. It will be memorable because I became a dad and moved into my first home, however you made a mess of a thousand other things that you're not likely to be forgiven for in a hurry.

Glad to have you gone and done, not looking for any repeats.

Tóg go bog é lads and lassies.
                                                                                                We'll be talking about 2020/2021 when our kids our auld lads saying dad stop talking about the rona.

Comment

Easily the worst year of my life. Good riddance.
                                                                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

RIP 2021 (2021-2021)

Comment

there are many ways in which my life is an outlier, the last 18 months/2 years is probably one of the biggest examples to date.

with the exception of one aborted trip to south america I haven't really been affected by covid. Sure there was a period when I was stuck in the house for months but having the terrace meant I could sit outside to my hearts content. We bought a pool table for the ridiculous price of €48 the week before xmas 2020 and that along with books and tv provided more than enough entertainment to offset any feelings of cabin fever.

For the rest I haven't really noticed it much apart from the news. I'm not the biggest socialiser anyway and for the vast vast bulk of it we were able to get out to the parks and beach here for walks and what have you so yeah, been a quiet period but nothing too onerous.

All the same, here's hoping we all have a better year this year. Happy new year to all!
                                                                                                      Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

​​​​​​Just poor people though.
                                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Rich people aren't alcoholics, they're imbibers. Or tipplers.

Comment

Enjoy the post-pandemic part of 2022 people.

Comment

Professionally, 2021 was the worst year ever, with no other year coming anywhere close, to the point where there was once or twice where I thought about jacking in the job with nothing else lined up. That said, it did afford an opportunity to make a few more shillings but I don't believe the uplift was worth the work/effort required.

Personally, the lockdown at the start of the year was really grim but outside of that, the rest of year was relatively OK. The level of socializing was definitely down on previous years but I felt we did more quality stuff rather that quantity which I was alright with.

Here's hoping 2022 is a lot better and that all of ye are happy and content in whatever you do!

Comment

We'll be talking about 2020/2021 when our kids our auld lads saying dad stop talking about the rona.
                                                                                                                I’d hope people will have the decency not to bring it up as a topic of conversation from March onwards- remember when is the lowest form of conversation.
                                                                                                                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Same with cigarettes, but there's no campaigns to lower the price of cigs.

Comment

Daisies growing in the lawn...wtf ?
                                                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Same with cigarettes, but there's no campaigns to lower the price of cigs.
                                                                                                                      Massive black market for smokes though, cant see the same for booze come Tuesday.
                                                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Massive black market for smokes though, cant see the same for booze come Tuesday.
                                                                                                                        Really? Surely an odd trip up to the north and down to Moore st would be profitable?
                                                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Really? Surely an odd trip up to the north and down to Moore st would be profitable?
                                                                                                                          Logistically, i would assume making a tenner on a slab of beer just wouldent be worth it...then again...a hundred in the back of a van...im buying a van...
                                                                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X