This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Sure even your first reply to me asked was I making it up.
    No. I asked where you got the number from.

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Where are you getting the 4k backlog number from?
    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Without looking it up, how many people do you think died in Ireland in 2019? And in 2020?
      My friend asked me the first figure and I got it very close, I was way off for the 2nd.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
        Without looking it up, how many people do you think died in Ireland in 2019? And in 2020?
        My friend asked me the first figure and I got it very close, I was way off for the 2nd.
        I've absolutely no even ball park guess.

Comment

Dont think id have the foggiest clue, id certainly not be setting a line at overs/unders I wouldnt have thought there be much in the difference so will go with 42,000 each year.

Edit on reflection maybe 44,000 for 2020

Edit 2 - asked father in law here and he reckons 80k so i could be way off lol though that sounds high to me
          Last edited by Dice75; 24-12-21, 19:44.

Comment

5 million population.

Eh, 48k and 60k.
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

In general or due to COVID?
              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

38k 2019
                33k 2020

Only guessing lower for 2020 since you said you were away off and guessing you went higher.​​​

Comment

No. I asked where you got the number from.

You did indeed. At least quote your whole post and not just the piece you want though. You also asked was it fiction, i.e am I making it up.

Where are you getting the 4k backlog number from? Is it possible that nobody is mentioning it because it's fiction?

Comment

I'd say close to 40k for both with 2020 being the lower of the 2.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

In general or due to COVID?
                      Total deaths. I doubt we had too many deaths due to covid in 2019!

Comment

Total deaths. I doubt we had too many deaths due to covid in 2019!
                        Tbh, I looked it up, but I was way off in my guess.... Thought it would be higher.
                        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

I've absolutely no even ball park guess.
                          There's a logical way to approach this...

1) What's the population of Ireland. 5 million.
                          2) What percentage of people die per year? 1% won't be far off. So that's your rough figure for 2019
                          3) How many more people died due to covid?

Comment

You did indeed. At least quote your whole post and not just the piece you want though. You also asked was it fiction, i.e am I making it up.
                            No I wasn't giving you the compliment of having made it up yourself. I was trying to suggest that you read this fiction somewhere, and I was just wondering where.

Comment

2) What percentage of people die per year? 1% won't be far off. So that's your rough figure for 2019

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/Nu...iano_tuner.htm
                              If you told me 1% on average die a year id believe you

If you told me 2.5% die a year id believe you

Comment

No I wasn't giving you the compliment of having made it up yourself. I was trying to suggest that you read this fiction somewhere, and I was just wondering where.
                                ok, happy to clarify for you then. I only deal with facts and wouldn't post something without checking it first. Not in the habit of making false claims that are easily checked anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

If you told me 1% on average die a year id believe you

If you told me 2.5% die a year id believe you
                                  If it was 2.5% a year this forum would be a lot quieter! But thinking about the average life expectancy should give you a ball park figure, then adjust a bit for the youngish population and modern health service.

Comment

ok, happy to clarify for you then. I only deal with facts and wouldn't post something without checking it first. Not in the habit of making false claims that are easily checked anyway.
                                    Well the only source you've given is a single tweet. I'll look elsewhere for my news.

Comment

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/Nu...iano_tuner.htm
                                      Piano tuners are psychotic perfectionists hence their scarcity in numbers. Their murderous tendencies towards competition only surpassed by their eternal pursuit of the high E.

*interesting observation is that some driven to the brink of insanity by their profession seek a more simplistic life in the form of garrulous but sadly incompetent plumbers

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Piano tuners are psychotic perfectionists hence their scarcity in numbers. Their murderous tendencies towards competition only surpassed by their eternal pursuit of the high E.

*interesting observation is that some driven to the brink of insanity by their profession seek a more simplistic life in the form of garrulous but sadly incompetent plumbers

Comment

What are ye at Dobby and Collie.
                                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                            Xmas eve ain't what it used to be, that's for damn sure

Comment

If it was 2.5% a year this forum would be a lot quieter!
                                              QED as Kayroo would say

Comment

Here are the results - https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpub...lysummary2020/

I thought there would be a much bigger difference. Obviously it's just one data point, but its very interesting none the less.

Comment

Kids asleep, wine opened, waiting for Santa to arrive. Happy Christmas everyone.
                                                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Xmas eve ain't what it used to be, that's for damn sure
                                                    That is interesting. I thought the excess covid mortality was far greater.

Maybe other kinds of death were reduced by lockdowns? Like car crashes for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Maybe other kinds of death were reduced by lockdowns? Like car crashes for example.
                                                      Just shows what a great job our government and Big Pharma did holding it at bay.

Comment

Why the massive urgency to get tested? Someone above saying their Mum had a PCR and Antigen negative but looking to go again as they don't believe it. To what end? I don't get it. There is no medicine that you get when positive so just stay home if you're sick?

Lao Lao why so many PCR and Antigen tests? Did you have symptoms or just looking for piece of mind? Seems a bit mad to do so many tests?

This reporting of the case numbers is really fucking pissing me off now. When are we going to stop reporting, on the national fucking news, that Johnny Jimmy and Joe are at home with mild cold symptoms. Report hospital and ICU sure but with huge vaccination numbers who cares about cases?

Anyway. Happy fucking Christmas ye cunts. First one with our baby girl. Still think wimmins sport is shite.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I think most of the deaths were of people dying 6 months or so earlier than they would have otherwise. Not to dismiss the significance of them in any way. Like a lot of medicine is just helping people to live a bit longer. I know the only 'do not resuscitate' order I had to agree to was for my mother, and it really hurt at the time. Looking back on it, I think some of the medical interventions were probably a bit cruel and pointless, though it's difficult to give up.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                                            This reporting of the case numbers is really fucking pissing me off now. When are we going to stop reporting, on the national fucking news, that Johnny Jimmy and Joe are at home with mild cold symptoms. Report hospital and ICU sure but with huge vaccination numbers who cares about cases?
                                                            They do report all those numbers i.e.
                                                            1. case numbers
                                                            2. Vaccination numbers
                                                            3. ICU and hospital cases
                                                            Usually in that order which as you say is probably the wrong way round at this phase.

Comment

Why the massive urgency to get tested? Someone above saying their Mum had a PCR and Antigen negative but looking to go again as they don't believe it. To what end? I don't get it. There is no medicine that you get when positive so just stay home if you're sick?

Lao Lao why so many PCR and Antigen tests? Did you have symptoms or just looking for piece of mind? Seems a bit mad to do so many tests?

Anyway. Happy fucking Christmas ye cunts. First one with our baby girl. Still think wimmins sport is shite.
                                                              We did antigens tonight for peace of mind as going to dinner with 86 Yo MIL tomorrow.

On da wimmins sports It does make a difference having an enthusiastic person watching with you and asking questions.
                                                              His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                I was just bored for a bit tbh. Should be in the pub ffs.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

We did antigens tonight for peace of mind as going to dinner with 86 Yo MIL tomorrow.

On da wimmins sports It does make a difference having an enthusiastic person watching with you and asking questions.
                                                                  Yeah the Antigen tests are great for that and not what I am talking about. I'm talking about people with symptoms who think they have Covid. Also think multiple tests is a bit mad like Theresa and Lao Lao mentioned.

Maybe I'll be back in a few years agreeing on the women's sport. Let's see.

Comment

Yeah the Antigen tests are great for that and not what I am talking about. I'm talking about people with symptoms who think they have Covid. Also think multiple tests is a bit mad like Theresa and Lao Lao mentioned.

Maybe I'll be back in a few years agreeing on the women's sport. Let's see.
                                                                    I still haven’t had a PCR test. Had a few colds alright but never any temperature and a fairly bad throat infection which doc said wasn’t covid.

Comment

With all the talk of death and disease on Xmas Eve I'd like to interject with a serious point.

Elton John's 'Step into Christmas' is a fucking abomination.
                                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                        With all the talk of death and disease on Xmas Eve I'd like to interject with a serious point.

Elton John's 'Step into Christmas' is a fucking abomination.
                                                                        Thanks for not posting a link to it. I'm assuming it's something recent?

Comment

Just got my wife beautifully with that. We're just home from our PCRs.
                                                                          Highlight of my day, possibly my year..

Comment

About to serve up a curry that's taken the last hour and copped I never made any rice.

Basmati takes 20 mins if I hurry.

Fuck it.

Dom, we're eating dinner slightly late tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                              dobby in the midst of your animation of a backlog, have you looked at the positive swab data from today?
                                                                              I think it was 9.5k. Am I wrong?

Comment

Good to see Hitch finally finishing his DIY on the house so he can get back to his true calling of winding people up on Twitter

Comment

I think it was 9.5k. Am I wrong?
                                                                                  Was 9.5 yesterday I believe. They do get some spikes in reporting numbers due to back log but it’s generally overblown by one side.

Comment

About to serve up a curry that's taken the last hour and copped I never made any rice.

Basmati takes 20 mins if I hurry.

Fuck it.

Dom, we're eating dinner slightly late tonight.
                                                                                    Missus just asked for an ETA

'It's nearly ready'

'Yeah. Well it's nearly Easter'

Comment

I always thought this was a jokey thing with Dom. Are you actually having dinner now? WTF.

Comment

Exactly. It is a backlog from the last few days. Also, didnt say they'd be fully recovered but they would obviously be a few days in and starting to come out the other side. Just think its disingenuous and so much focus shouldn't be put on cases. ICU number and hospitalisations are falling. We are better off focusing on that. Announcing 11k cases without mentioning the 4k back log just seems like scare mongering at this point
                                                                                        I’m not sure I get the point you are making. Not all tests on a given day can be reported on that day. So some spill over. The backlog are cases that weren’t reported yesterday, if they had if been the cases yesterday would have been much higher. Either way it’s going to be a 50k for the week.

Comment

Devoured a dozen of carlingford oysters this evening. Still as tasty as ever.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                                                            Good to see Hitch finally finishing his DIY on the house so he can get back to his true calling of winding people up on Twitter
                                                                                            I don't think that has ever really stopped. Takes some dedication to a plan I don't understand at all.

Comment

The biggest takeaway for me the last week is that there’s not a chance that the reported numbers are the extent of the cases.
                                                                                              When I had a positive antigen I knew I had it 100%. It was just a hassle to get a PCR booking, took an hour to find a booking. I only got the PCR because I’ll need a timeline for preflight. I would have been happy to accept the antigen. Surely there’s a huge amount of positive antigens not bothering with PCR this week.

Not to mind the non-testers

Comment

I always thought this was a jokey thing with Dom. Are you actually having dinner now? WTF.
                                                                                                If there's one thing I admire about Lazare it's his going his own way. It would keep me awake at night if I really cared though

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                  The biggest takeaway for me the last week is that there’s not a chance that the reported numbers are the extent of the cases.
                                                                                                  When I had a positive antigen I knew I had it 100%. It was just a hassle to get a PCR booking, took an hour to find a booking. I only got the PCR because I’ll need a timeline for preflight. I would have been happy to accept the antigen. Surely there’s a huge amount of positive antigens not bothering with PCR this week.

Which is very true and....drumroll....tremendously good news.

Go Omicron.

Comment

More surprised by the fall in births.
                                                                                                    Given all the extra free time
                                                                                                    we've had couped up together at home.
                                                                                                    Guess I wasn't giving Coppers enough credit.
                                                                                                    C'mon Fido, time for a walk.
                                                                                                    Last edited by DeeBrown; 24-12-21, 23:29.

Comment

Eldest still awake. Nearly walked in on mammy kissing Santa Claus.

Comment

in the UK, when you do an antigen test you log the result in the NHS website so it's accounted for. no idea whether it's included in the daily stats though

Comment

When are we going to stop reporting, on the national fucking news, that Johnny Jimmy and Joe are at home with mild cold symptoms.
                                                                                                          When the hospital and ICU's aren't clogged up, which with a bit of luck on the virulence of omicron could be as soon as 3 to 6 weeks.

Absolutely. Unlike the uk where you can scan your antigen into the NHS system here we only record PCR tests and demand for PCR is far outstripping supply. IMO since last weekend when omicron took hold and over the next two weeks you can multiply reported cases by something in the region of five actual to one reported.

If the hospital numbers don't get out of hand this current crisis phase is over before the end of Jan.
                                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Have a good one everyone

Last edited by Strewelpeter; 25-12-21, 00:00.
                                                                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Merry Christmas ya filthy animals
                                                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Happy Christmas to you all.

Comment

There was 5 hours between testing negative on an antigen and some symptoms starting for me. 4 hours after that the fever then when i got up I tested positive.

An antigen tonight or in the morning doesn't guarantee you're keeping your elderly relatives safe, do it just before your joining them.

Merry Christmas!

Comment

Non Sequitor

Just curious how this relates to my beautifully worded post about stuff!
                                                                                                                    Last edited by dinekes; 25-12-21, 01:21.

Comment

Happy Christmas everyone!

Comment

Collie are you ok m8? Do you need a hug? You seem very off.
                                                                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/GeGCe8yYr0A[/VIDEO

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X