X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Degag View Post

A different era for sure.
    Yeah, my parents were very much kids during the emergency https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Em..._%28Ireland%29. Though I think some of their memories had more to do with what they heard on RTE afterwards than their actual experience.
    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

But women's Premier league football is a higher standard.
      Now you are really taking the wee wee

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
        Same with chess, i'd imagine its just down to volume of players but only one woman in the top 100 chess players seems very low to me.
        Seems about right tbf

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post

Now you are really taking the wee wee
          No, definitely not taking the piss. I assumed it to be the case, but admit now that I could well be wrong.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

If they're good enough, women can play with the men
            I often think this counterintuitively leads to a 'why bother' situation for those two sports snooker and darts.

People with the sporting gene tend to be good at multiple sports and have to make a decision at some stage of their life.
            For a female there's far easier glory and money to be made at sports where the field is segregated.
            Like if I knew a woman who was showing 'turn pro' potential at say snooker & golf, or darts & athletics - i'd definitely recommend to drop the snooker and darts and concentrate on the others.
            If you can get the glory and dosh for being Top 10 in a segregated sport, why bother scratching a living being top 80 in a unisex sport?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

I often think this counterintuitively leads to a 'why bother' situation for those two sports snooker and darts.

People with the sporting gene tend to be good at multiple sports and have to make a decision at some stage of their life.
              For a female there's far easier glory and money to be made at sports where the field is segregated.
              Like if I knew a woman who was showing 'turn pro' potential at say snooker & golf, or darts & athletics - i'd definitely recommend to drop the snooker and darts and concentrate on the others.
              If you can get the glory and dosh for being Top 10 in a segregated sport, why bother scratching a living being top 80 in a unisex sport?
              Case in point would be Serena Williams who wouldn’t be top 300 on the men’s side

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post
                Tested negative today. EZ game.
                My antigen line getting very small but still there, smell and taste gone for last 2 days.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I wasn't aware that people still used contacts. Literally everyone I know who used to use them, and even those who had laser eye surgery, all reverted to wearing specs. Might be an older person thing though.
                  Massive in Japan as a beauty product, prescription lenses that can change your pupil colour and appearance.

Did you know Limerick has the largest contact lens manufacturing plant in the world ?
                  This too shall pass.

Comment

My mother used to tell us about the even poorer children calling around to them to borrow shoes so they could go to mass. I really regret not recording her voice.
                    Reminds me of the Brendan Grace joke... father was going to an interview...we were so poor, my mother sent me around to the neighbors with a button and to ask them could they sew a shirt onto it.
                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Reminds me of the Brendan Grace joke... father was going to an interview...we were so poor, my mother sent me around to the neighbors with a button and to ask them could they sew a shirt onto it.
                      Like the Cavan man who gives his nephew two AA batteries for Xmas wrapped up with a note saying 'Present not included'

Comment

So, we finally moved into the house. Huzzah!

In pictorials.

This is what we took delivery of on October 25th.

SPOILER

The entrance was greeted by a stenna stairlift, from the inhabitant, who I've since found out lived there for 60 years and was loved by all. He's still doing grand, just in assisted living.

4We5Soyl.jpg

The bathroom would have genuinely have been super stylish in the 70s.

Ao3Jc4Kl.jpg

The kitchen was fairly ramshackle.

krkr6Cjl.jpg

And the living room was of its time. Probably a lot of lovely times spent there. We've all seen this living room in elderly relative houses, I feel.

0CvYcMQl.jpg

Subsequent posts to discuss what we did and what it looks like now.
                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

So, the overall project took two months. Given we got the keys on October 25th. Approximately we spent a month destroying the place and a month rebuilding it.

So many unexpected things. Like the plaster came off in clumps with even the most careful wallpaper stripping, so we had to skim plaster all the walls. We filled in endless holes. This house leaking like a sieve and had no working heating - no radiators even. Just some panel heaters.

A few weeks in, we decided, fuck it, lets rewire the place. I'd been talking to an electrician for a while and he came in and did the whole place in about eight days. A plumber also came in, and he fully replumbed. We got the electric car charger for free because laz's neighbour just threw his in the thrash for some reason.

We did things like replace all the doors, as there was those cheap old doors in the place. We didn't touch the windows due to lack of cash. We stripped the roof off the garage as it contained asbestos and my wife wanted to work in the garage. Then we re-roofed it.

We laid laminate all downstairs and a single carpet all upstairs.

Loads of time spent in the garden. Reigning in the overgrowth. Planting a new hedge. Such a brutal activity. How did we fit all that in two months? There's still loads to do, but the house is fairly okay.

Pics of the destruction, to be known by historians as 'The Part Where Someone Freaked The Fuck Out'.

SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
                            For the contact lense discussion

feelgoodcontacts
                            visiondirect

I can vouch for the former. Once you know your prescription you'll have your order within about 48 hours at anything up to 50% less than an optician in my experience.
                            Using feelgoodcontacts years. Absolutely brilliant company. Started using one of their cheapest brands and they are more comfortable than the ones I was using. Very speedy delivery too!

On another note heading to a local hotel for our Xmas day dinner this year, have never done it before and looking forward to walking out the door at 2.30 to be waited on and returning home at some point to a clean kitchen

Anyhoo happy Xmas to ye all!

​​​​​
                            Her sky-ness
                            © 5starpool

Comment

And what does it look like now?

Its still more to do. We have no money left for all the things that would look nice, but we have a really nice structure, I feel. Genuinely I'd say the thing I find nicest is the rewiring. Just knowing that the heart of the house is buzzing in the right way. Looking at the new meter. The feel of the new switches.

There's also loads of bits unfinished. That DIY course that I took over this semester turned out to be a brilliant decision, as I know how to tackle everything now in a way that I wouldn't have had a clue before. So, will get to addressing those when we can.

I feel slightly broken as a human. Its been way too much work. A crazy amount of decisions to make and just far too many phonecalls. I was working out at one point that I must have made at least 20 phonecalls and trips to organise the doors. And that wasn't even a difficult thing. The plumber has easily taken up a few weeks all by himself putting up with his shit. You couldn't make up some of the things he has got up to in terms of not turning up.

Anyway, here's the outcome.

SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Its still more to do. We have no money left for all the things that would look nice, but we have a really nice structure, I feel. Genuinely I'd say the thing I find nicest is the rewiring. Just knowing that the heart of the house is buzzing in the right way. Looking at the new meter. The feel of the new switches.

There's also loads of bits unfinished. That DIY course that I took over this semester turned out to be a brilliant decision, as I know how to tackle everything now in a way that I wouldn't have had a clue before. So, will get to addressing those when we can.

I feel slightly broken as a human. Its been way too much work. A crazy amount of decisions to make and just far too many phonecalls. I was working out at one point that I must have made at least 20 phonecalls and trips to organise the doors. And that wasn't even a difficult thing. The plumber has easily taken up a few weeks all by himself putting up with his shit. You couldn't make up some of the things he has got up to in terms of not turning up.

SPOILER

That's some transformation! Lovely job.
                                Her sky-ness
                                © 5starpool

Comment

Lads, just wanted to take a minute to wish you all a very merry Christmas and a happy year, most of all good health!
                                  These days people don't spend much time or thought on some personal words to their friends and family, they just copy and paste some random shit and send it on.
                                  So, after all we've been though together this year I want to thank you for your friendship and wish you a happy 2018!
                                  You are the best gymnastics group anyone could ask for.
                                  Best wishes, Helen

Comment

Now, the whole house is only 83 square metres, which many of you probably have as your dog kennel, but still, its now comfortable and rather nice.

I mentioned the plumber above, and that guy has aged me so badly, such a fuckwit, but that's done now, except that he needs to come back for the understairs toilet and to plumb to the garage for the washing machine and dryer. Fingers crossed he manages to turn up. You wouldn't believe me if I told you the amount of phonecalls we have had.

But, what I've been far more impressed with is the amount of decent lovely people I've met. Its amazing how much of this is out there.

Our very own balfey is such a great guy. I think everyone on IPB goes to him for anything bathroom, flooring, anyway, but please do not be distracted by pale imitators. Just a small example, outside of the main thing, which is his expertise, but John arranged for me to pick up a replacement tap this week in a hurry to save the fuckwit plumber using it as an excuse for not fitting the bathroom. He directed me to the wholesalers so I could get there immediately rather than wait on it arriving into the shop, and you could see by the way the person in the office responded to his name that people like to do nice things to help out John. That's who you want on your side in a renovation battle, and indeed that's a great way to go through life.

There's also our handyman, Nico, who is some man for one man. Just his whole vibe. He ended up running loads of what we were doing. I've met quite a few Romanians and they always end up sound as a pound. A nation that gets a bad rep for its traveller population, but the main population is class.

Ah, I'm rambling now. I'm going to miss the whole thing. All the time spent around the long mile road, the cafes, the phone calls, the pleading. Its been emotional. I'm starting a new job now in January (same school, just at a higher level as I am going to take on a position known as 'associate dean', which is part of the three people people who run the school) and part of the reason was wanting a new buzz in life. I think I jumped in all guns blazing into the house thing for the same reason - just that covid and the heart thing and whatever teaching that we need to get our buzz on.

Comment

Nice job on the new home sir.
                                      Hope it fills up with a million happy memories.
                                      Maybe even a home game with Balfe.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                        Nice job on the new home sir.
                                        Hope it fills up with a million happy memories.
                                        Maybe even a home game with Balfe.
                                        Thank you!

Comment

Nice job well done Hitch, fair chance you could have paid for it by offering prices on getting i it done by now ​​​​​
                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Final pre Christmas Covid test results in this morning from yesterdays PCR. Total of 2 PCR's and 5 Antigen tests in the last 7 days all coming back negative.

Christmas in the Lao Lao household is full steam ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                              Final pre Christmas Covid test results in this morning from yesterdays PCR. Total of 2 PCR's and 5 Antigen tests in the last 7 days all coming back negative.

Christmas in the Lao Lao household is full steam ahead.
                                              Spent the morning looking for a red marker to forge a positive test.

Comment

Hitch you did a stunning job in that timeframe, at this time of year. Bravo.

Comment

Well done Hitch! Looks lovely, and so many happy times are ahead of you all I'm sure - savour it!

Our house search is coming to an end over the coming weeks I feel; previously mentioned we were finding it hard to decide between two houses, an end of terrace new build in Sandyford and a detached 1km further up the road in Stepaside. Turns out there is an outstanding boundary issue with the new build and our solicitor is adamant we can't proceed without confirmation that the other party (a neighbour in an existing estate) has dropped their claims, and this isn't coming I think. So going back to the 200 sq m house in Stepaside! Built in 2020 so almost new. Should be in at some point in January.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Spent the morning looking for a red marker to forge a positive test.
                                                    Think i found yours Willie...
                                                    SPOILER
                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

SPOILER

Lovely finish young man
                                                      u got thru a lot in a small space of time
                                                      Plumbers are akin to Taximen they know everything and you can learn from that
                                                      when ur doing up the 5 houses in Foxrock give me a shout

happy Christmas to u and the family
                                                      enjoy the house

Comment

Looks great Hitch, well done!

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

My antigen line getting very small but still there, smell and taste gone for last 2 days.
                                                          Went from instant to weak and taking minutes to all clear yesterday. Taste went weird but just as it does with any previous infection I've had. Gets better as the sinuses recover.

Comment

Fair play Hitch, do it right the first time.
                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Good stuff Hitch, having gone through in 2018 I realise how much you’ve done. The wallpaper stripping must be the most soil destroying part… we had some rooms with 4 different layers and it broke my heart. Great to get the plumbing and wiring done as without those two every bit of work you do comes with a caveat so you’ll have peace of mind now.

balfejohn I have a spare €500 white towel Heater that my plumber wouldn’t return when he ordered two, let me know if it’s of interest to you.

Comment

Mellor - where are you now, with the parents or in a hotel?
                                                                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Sister positive and Dad close contact. Hopefully he doesn’t get even though boosted. Only recovered from cancer a few years ago.
                                                                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                    I was wondering that myself - if you all have covid, you might as well be together at least?

best of luck Mellors
                                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

A thought for any single men out there; get yourselves a cute dog and get out to the park, beach etc

Our puppy is a female magnet.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Think i found yours Willie...
                                                                        SPOILER
                                                                        Just got my wife beautifully with that. We're just home from our PCRs.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post

Using feelgoodcontacts years. Absolutely brilliant company. Started using one of their cheapest brands and they are more comfortable than the ones I was using. Very speedy delivery too!

On another note heading to a local hotel for our Xmas day dinner this year, have never done it before and looking forward to walking out the door at 2.30 to be waited on and returning home at some point to a clean kitchen

Anyhoo happy Xmas to ye all!

​​​​​
                                                                          Leave a stonking big tip. I've worked the Christmas day shift in hotels and its fucking horrible. I was always put on it as I was a younger staff member and had no kids etc but it was always rotten and I'd have rathered not do it. Be sound and tip big, it will make it easier to stomach for the staff who 100% do not want to be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                            A thought for any single men out there; get yourselves a cute dog and get out to the park, beach etc

Can confirm. Used to take the neighbours dog to the park in Killarney when I was single. Proper chick magnet and got a few dates out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Leave a stonking big tip. I've worked the Christmas day shift in hotels and its fucking horrible. I was always put on it as I was a younger staff member and had no kids etc but it was always rotten and I'd have rathered not do it. Be sound and tip big, it will make it easier to stomach for the staff who 100% do not want to be there.
                                                                              If food and service is right a decent tip will be left obv if service is shit they can fuck off. This is my Xmas day family dinner after working hard all year and it's costing me a nice few Bob so I expect it to be perfect

I'm not gonna tip if it's a half arsed job by someone who doesn't want to be there
                                                                              Last edited by SatNav; 24-12-21, 14:01.
                                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

Depends on the dog. This was buddy. As you can see, adorable. Part Papillon, part small german spitz, part devil. He hated everything that wasn't in the circle of trust. Favourite thing in the world to do was kill things.

144409795_10159085597773489_7618440485217263241_n.jpeg

Comment

Brutal about Leopardstown

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post

If food and service is right a decent tip will be left obv if service is shit they can fuck off. This is my Xmas day family dinner after working hard all year and it's costing me a nice few Bob so I expect it to be perfect

I'm not gonna tip if it's a half arsed job by someone who doesn't want to be there
                                                                                    Understand that but they're being rostered to serve you your dinner and work hard on Christmas day. Be sound and tip them generously. I can guarantee you they'd rather be at home with their own family enjoying the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                      Brutal about Leopardstown
                                                                                      Seems like massive overkill by them. If they were worried about staff getting covid or whatever, they could have closed the bars and stuff and just given staff the day off. Let people make their own choice then on whether to attend or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                                        Good stuff Hitch, having gone through in 2018 I realise how much you’ve done. The wallpaper stripping must be the most soil destroying part… we had some rooms with 4 different layers and it broke my heart. Great to get the plumbing and wiring done as without those two every bit of work you do comes with a caveat so you’ll have peace of mind now.

balfejohn I have a spare €500 white towel Heater that my plumber wouldn’t return when he ordered two, let me know if it’s of interest to you.
                                                                                        Hi

I can see if any customers want a white rad and put u in touch with them
                                                                                        selling more chrome or anthracite ones at the moment
                                                                                        what size is it

Comment

These record high case numbers, combined with continually declining ICU numbers are good news (Omicron now dominant and health outcomes far better) - we'll look back in a few months time and pinpoint now as the time we got covid licked for good.

That's my Christmas cheer for the BBV. Ho ho ho motherfuckers.

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post

Hi

I can see if any customers want a white rad and put u in touch with them
                                                                                            selling more chrome or anthracite ones at the moment
                                                                                            what size is it
                                                                                            This is the one

Comment

Can confirm. Used to take the neighbours dog to the park in Killarney when I was single. Proper chick magnet and got a few dates out of it.
                                                                                              Bloody hell heres an angle I didn't notice. I may borrow my sisters dog. Although I will have to get over the fact he eats and rolls in other types of dogs and foxes shit. 'You like my dog?.....You want to go see a movie?.......You want a piece of my pie

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                                I headed to the parents on Monday, but when I pinged an antigen I said I wouldn’t hang around and screw up Christmas and visitors.
                                                                                                So headed back up to the misses in Derry. She in isolation anyway. And her sister and brother-in-law have it too, so can least have a bit of company and drinks tomorrow.

The adventure continues by the way. We took a spin to the beach today for a bit of fresh air. Not really isolating, but there’s nobody around - for good reason it’s was fucking Baltic. Left after 5 mins, “fuck this back to the car”. Which is when I noticed the low pressure light on the way out had become a full flat tyre. Fucking puncture. It was at this point I found out that my mam’s car, the fancy hybrid, has no spare wheel. But a 12v compressor and a bottle of sealant.

Got me back to the misses place, but doubt I’ll get back to Dublin. No idea how study that stuff it. Fun times continue
                                                                                                Last edited by Mellor; 24-12-21, 17:37.

Comment

These record high case numbers, combined with continually declining ICU numbers are good news (Omicron now dominant and health outcomes far better) - we'll look back in a few months time and pinpoint now as the time we got covid licked for good.

That's my Christmas cheer for the BBV. Ho ho ho motherfuckers.
                                                                                                  Only a small thing but something that annoys me is that nobody reporting the 11k cases mentions the 4k backlog. Obviously a case is a case but some of those people could be half recovered by now. Bit disingenuous

Comment

Mother has headache, no smell, runny nose, awful taste in her mouth. Antigen and PCR both negative (last Saturday).

It surely has to be covid doesn’t it? She’s trying to get in for another test but seems to be problematic.
                                                                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                      Mother has headache, no smell, runny nose, awful taste in her mouth. Antigen and PCR both negative (last Saturday).

It surely has to be covid doesn’t it? She’s trying to get in for another test but seems to be problematic.
                                                                                                      Ask her does the taste in her mouth have an ammonia vinegary feel?

Get her to eat salt and vinegar Tayto or similar if handy. If they taste like radioactive waste she's got Covid.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post

Bloody hell heres an angle I didn't notice. I may borrow my sisters dog. Although I will have to get over the fact he eats and rolls in other types of dogs and foxes shit. 'You like my dog?.....You want to go see a movie?.......You want a piece of my pie
                                                                                                        €20 a rental of our girl and a tenner back if you fail to attract less than five females.

Can't say fairer than that although she needs 40 mins at the very least. The coffee shop queue in St Annes Park should do the trick.

Comment

Only a small thing but something that annoys me is that nobody reporting the 11k cases mentions the 4k backlog. Obviously a case is a case but some of those people could be half recovered by now. Bit disingenuous
                                                                                                          Where are you getting the 4k backlog number from? Is it possible that nobody is mentioning it because it's fiction?

Comment

Maybe it's just the going for a walk, and nothing to do with the dog. I can barely get a bit of gardening done in the front, without being pestered by lonely women with too much time on their hands.

Comment

Where are you getting the 4k backlog number from? Is it possible that nobody is mentioning it because it's fiction?
                                                                                                              Well that would be quite the random thing for me to make up wouldnt it.

This is the only tweet I could find mentioning it. Decide for yourself if its fiction I guess.

Comment

Well that would be quite the random thing for me to make up wouldnt it.
                                                                                                                No I did assume you heard it somewhere. Even if it is correct, I'd expect it is a backlog form the last few days, and not people who are be fully recovered.

Comment

No I did assume you heard it somewhere. Even if it is correct, I'd expect it is a backlog form the last few days, and not people who are be fully recovered.
                                                                                                                  Exactly. It is a backlog from the last few days. Also, didnt say they'd be fully recovered but they would obviously be a few days in and starting to come out the other side. Just think its disingenuous and so much focus shouldn't be put on cases. ICU number and hospitalisations are falling. We are better off focusing on that. Announcing 11k cases without mentioning the 4k back log just seems like scare mongering at this point

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Ask her does the taste in her mouth have an ammonia vinegary feel?

Get her to eat salt and vinegar Tayto or similar if handy. If they taste like radioactive waste she's got Covid.
                                                                                                                    Will do although I’m not sure she has a great reference point for radioactive waste. Will report back.

She seems to have it mild enough tbh…. So Im not super worried but the fact the tests are all negative both antigen and pcr is bad cos she might go out and pass it around.
                                                                                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post

'kinell, he was a handsome mofo back in his prime.
                                                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Announcing 11k cases without mentioning the 4k back log just seems like scare mongering at this point
                                                                                                                        Who is getting scared though? I don't think you are, and I know I'm not. It reminds me of people complaining about deaths from covid being reported every day, as that was frightening people. They changed it about 7 months ago to only reporting them on a Wednesday (a decision I don't agree with). They didn't get any thanks for that.
                                                                                                                        I guess all media sources try to get your interest with strong headlines and whatnot. I wouldn't consider any of it scaremongering.

Comment

Who is getting scared though? I don't think you are, and I know I'm not. It reminds me of people complaining about deaths from covid being reported every day, as that was frightening people. They changed it about 7 months ago to only reporting them on a Wednesday (a decision I don't agree with). They didn't get any thanks for that.
                                                                                                                          I guess all media sources try to get your interest with strong headlines and whatnot. I wouldn't consider any of it scaremongering.
                                                                                                                          I know of some, a very small sample size admittedly, who wont leave the house because of "cases" such is their mental fragility at this point. They have their own issues regardless of covid tho. Just think if they're going to report 11k cases, stick a * on it and say *4k backlog from previous days. Not a big deal for them to do and keeps everything clear.

Sure even your first reply to me asked was I making it up. If any source had mentioned the backlog with the 11k cases, you wouldn't have needed to ask. Just makes everything easier imo.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X