This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
    That's Day 1 done. Havent played a tourney in yonks.
    Bloody tired. Back tomorrow with 75 bigs
    Nice one me too, back with 100bb. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
      Tell me if I'm overthinking this or whether you think it's bad form.

I get on fairly well with the next door neighbour, he's one of those types that asks for lots of favours. Loan of my van to go to the dump, help with felting a shed, loan of all types of tools, a lift in with heavy stuff etc. Basically I've done him loads of turns and have never asked for one in return.

Anyway, our house is an L shape and the side of his house is inside my driveway/garden.

Heard a lot of drilling the other evening and didn't think much of it.

Discovered then that he had someone install an outdoor socket, in my garden. Basically on my property, although fixed to the side of his house.

Now, I don't have a problem with it being there, other than whenever something is plugged into it it could be a trip hazard for us, but that's minor.
      Also, we were thinking of installing gates, possibly electric, at some point in the future and if we do it would mean he would have to ask us for access to the sockets.

What I'm taking issue with is the fact he didn't bother to knock in and tell me about it, or ask me.

What you think, am I overreacting?
      If it's on the side of his house, then it should be on his property as should property should start somewhere back from that. I say should though, as all sorts of dodgy boundaries exist and there's no guarantee what should have happened actually happened. There is also no way to tell from looking at it.

You could make a fuss and find out its not you section of garden at all.
      Or should could plug your lawnmower in occasionally.

I assume I own the exterior of that wall while he owns the interior. Why would he automatically gain a right of way just by installing that socket? Surely if the day came I could just refuse access.
      It's an exterior wall to his house not a party wall. While there are no guarantees. It's more likely that the wall is entirely his. And your property starts somewhere in front.
      To be built properly, his would need to be built fully on his land, and even 200-300mm back from the boundary.
      Last edited by Mellor; 06-12-21, 05:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

Nice one me too, back with 100bb. Good luck!
        Good stuff OPR....time for brekky..work to 6 then back in!
        Loads of Russians on my table with the some mad Brazilian players

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
          If you say nothing about him coming onto your property to install a plug that he needs to access your property every time he wants to use it, you will get some land when his new Electric car is parked in your drive hooked up to the plug.

Nip it now.
          Think you will find that because of the plug placement the neighbour has access rights and Lazare’s drive has now been legally annexed.

Comment

Don't know why I didn't screenshot street view, as I'm obv crap at simple sketches.

This image is from about 10 years ago, the garden is much more enclosed now, those bushes are almost 7' tall now. Which means it's more of a private space now than it was. Doesn't matter anyway, it's still ours.

He put the socket about level with the back door of that car.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Sounds like he's fully entitled to do whatever he likes in the external wall of his house (that doesn't contravene planning permission, like install a socket) but he is not entitled to have access to it because that would mean trampling on Laz's property?

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Think you will find that because of the plug placement the neighbour has access rights and Lazare’s drive has now been legally annexed.
                But is it an anschluss or an annexation?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                  Sounds like he's fully entitled to do whatever he likes in the external wall of his house (that doesn't contravene planning permission, like install a socket) but he is not entitled to have access to it because that would mean trampling on Laz's property?
                  It's an interesting question, who owns what.

In the example I mentioned earlier, a semi detached house. If I build out 30 feet with an extension, who owns the opposite side of the wall if it's facing into a neighbours garden?

Like has my neighbour the right to paint that wall candy stripes if he wants, have I the right to hang flower baskets?

Comment

2nd day with a hangover and going out tonight to a gig. I'm guessing if I didnt have kids I'd be dead by now , returning to old bad habits .

Morning Sam. Ooops sorry . Morning Mr X .

Comment

Just go ask him why he installed the damn socket and how he thinks he's going to access it without coming onto your property

Comment

7.50Eur to see Father Christmas! Waited in the queue for ages for a ONE-minute meeting and a proper rubbish toy, what a rip-off, FUMING!!

Glad I didnt take the kids with me .

Comment

It's an interesting question, who owns what.

In the example I mentioned earlier, a semi detached house. If I build out 30 feet with an extension, who owns the opposite side of the wall if it's facing into a neighbours garden?

Like has my neighbour the right to paint that wall candy stripes if he wants, have I the right to hang flower baskets?
                          If a person builds out a extension they own the wall it its entirety. There's zero doubt about that. Which is why it needs to be entirely on their property in the first place, ie within their boundary.
                          Facing somebody else's a garden is irrelevant. No different to a apartment building occupying 100% of their land right up to the boundary.
                          If those the houses where built independently, it's a given that the above would be the case. But if they were built together, who knows what what the land was divided. But most likely similar would apply.
                          In which case he can paint it any colour he likes. And you cannot hang baskets off his house.
                          The exception is party walls. Like a boundary wall between two gardens (or internal wall between two houses). In that case its shared property and you can each paint you side as you like.

You can't tell from looking where the boundary is. The wall should be about 25-300mm back from the boundary. But it's not uncommon for the boundary to be hard up to the wall - in which case the roof eaves is overhanging your property.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

If a person builds out a extension they own the wall it its entirety. There's zero doubt about that. Which is why it needs to be entirely on their property in the first place, ie within their boundary.
                            Facing somebody else's a garden is irrelevant. No different to a apartment building occupying 100% of their land right up to the boundary.
                            If those the houses where built independently, it's a given that the above would be the case. But if they were built together, who knows what what the land was divided. But most likely similar would apply.
                            In which case he can paint it any colour he likes. And you cannot hang baskets off his house.
                            The exception is party walls. Like a boundary wall between two gardens (or internal wall between two houses). In that case its shared property and you can each paint you side as you like.

You can't tell from looking where the boundary is. The wall should be about 25-300mm back from the boundary. But it's not uncommon for the boundary to be hard up to the wall - in which case the roof eaves is overhanging your property.
                            Actually semi related.
                            Before we moved in the house backing onto us has built a shed, replacing the back wall by a few feet.
                            If I want to build my own shed, do I use the same back wall the back of their shed) or do I need another wall with Xmm between them?
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

My mother in law's extension extends out fully in line with the edge of her house on both sides. There is no gap between the old wall and the new one where the two houses attach. Thought that was pretty common.

It doesn't make sense that my MIL owns the neighbour's side of that.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Actually semi related.
                                Before we moved in the house backing onto us has built a shed, replacing the back wall by a few feet.
                                If I want to build my own shed, do I use the same back wall the back of their shed) or do I need another wall with Xmm between them?
                                Depends.
                                In an ideal scenario, they built fully on their property, and you'd built you own wall on your side. Two walls could be practically touching but it avoids any issues now or in future.
                                But what probably happen is that they knocked the boundary wall and replaced it with the back of the shed. So it's technically half on your property. In that case you're entitled to use it, and kinda have to in order to avoid gifting them a strip of your garden.

You might be able to tell where the previous wall was from adjacent walls. If you thinks the shed it on the boundary then you could build off of it. But would be a good idea to let them know your plan if going that route. Not so much as asking permission, but more so "you did X, so I'm going to do Y, cheers"

Comment

My mother in law's extension extends out fully in line with the edge of her house on both sides. There is no gap between the old wall and the new one where the two houses attach. Thought that was pretty common.

It doesn't make sense that my MIL owns the neighbour's side of that.
                                  You don't need to leave a gap. You can build 0mm from the boundary, just not over it (although as mention, eaves often foul this).
                                  If the old wall was the boundary. The new wall is fully on her side and fully her property. If she decides to knock the extension down she can. Entirely her choice.
                                  If the neighbour owned some of the wall, the MIL would need the neighbors permission to knock it down - which is require with party walls.
                                  Last edited by Mellor; 06-12-21, 11:27.

Comment

You don't need to leave a gap. You can build 0mm from the boundary, just not over it (although as mention, eaves often foul this).
                                    If the old wall was the boundary. The new wall is fully on her side and fully her property. If she decides to knock the extension down she can. Entirely her choice.
                                    If the neighbour owned some of the wall, the MIL would need the neighbors permission to knock it down - which is require with party walls.
                                    So does that mean the neighbour can't stand in her own property and paint that wall without permission?

Comment

I got in touch with him this morning and told him there needs to be a lock on it, or else the ability for him to isolate it from the inside.

Comment

I got in touch with him this morning and told him there needs to be a lock on it, or else the ability for him to isolate it from the inside.
                                        Tell him in no uncertain terms that he needs to wear a condom when banging your missus while you're at it!

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Tell him in no uncertain terms that he needs to wear a condom when banging your missus while you're at it!
                                          I'd say no worries there as he'll no doubt be using Laz tool for the job.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

I get your point, and my wife said the same. I've a balance to strike though. I've to live a breath away from this person. He has three daughters also that pal around with mine. Falling out with him would affect them.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

I'd say no worries there as he'll no doubt be using Laz tool for the job.
                                              Can I borrow your mickey.

He actually called in yesterday looking for a loan of something.

Comment

Can I borrow your mickey.

He actually called in yesterday looking for a loan of something.
                                                . He sounds like a complete chancer. You have a lot of patience. I'm usually even tempered but I'd deffo be having a few sarky digs by now .

Remind me of titus canby ( was it the beano?)

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

. He sounds like a complete chancer. You have a lot of patience. I'm usually even tempered but I'd deffo be having a few sarky digs by now .

Remind me of titus canby ( was it the beano?)
                                                  Some people are impervious.

I went to the garage on Saturday to get a load of briquettes. Went in, paid and came out. Started loading them into the boot of my car.

Between loads, some auld fella comes and parks his car literally 8 inches away from the fuel dump yoke that the briquettes are in. As he gets out, I squeeze myself between the car and the fuel and call out 'could ya have parked any closer do you think?'

He gives me a blank look and walks off into the station.

Made sure to give his car a noticeable dunt accidentally on purpose with a bale of briquettes as he came back out.

Comment

So does that mean the neighbour can't stand in her own property and paint that wall without permission?
                                                    The neighbor can paint her own house as she likes. She shouldn't paint the MIL's house. Just like you shouldn't paint the neighbors house.
                                                    It's not entirely clear what sort of wall arrangement you are thinking of. They could be party walls (like DPs case) which make things messier.

Here's two examples, from a website that deals with boundary/party wall/extension disputes.

Extension is built inside the garden wall, but hard up to it. Painting the "white" wall is the responsibility of the owners who live in the extension. As is clearing gutters, waterproofing etc.
                                                    This is the proper way to do it the the neighbour aren't prevented from their own extension, the overhanging is considered etc.

98e300a540f28311c1db8d5757e118c4.jpg

When people do shit like this is where is becomes a mess. They built on top of the boundary. So not only on their property, making it a party wall - and a massive eyesore. Is this case the nearside is on the neighbors property, so becomes half their wall to deal with, build off, paint etc.

0c8fbb308c13ec2d331100232f24e1fa.jpg

Comment

Were doing option A there with our extension so theres no issues further down the road, flat roof so no gutter overhang as it falls to the back, garden fence stayimg where it is. Safest option for no hassle.

Comment

Mellor; what if there's an issue that needs remediating in the narrow space between the party wall and the extension wall? How do you access that narrow space?

That's the only potential drawback to option A imo (that and the obvious waste of resources involved in building two walls!)

Comment

The neighbor can paint her own house as she likes. She shouldn't paint the MIL's house. Just like you shouldn't paint the neighbors house.
                                                          It's not entirely clear what sort of wall arrangement you are thinking of. They could be party walls (like DPs case) which make things messier.

Here's two examples, from a website that deals with boundary/party wall/extension disputes.

Extension is built inside the garden wall, but hard up to it. Painting the "white" wall is the responsibility of the owners who live in the extension. As is clearing gutters, waterproofing etc.
                                                          This is the proper way to do it the the neighbour aren't prevented from their own extension, the overhanging is considered etc.

98e300a540f28311c1db8d5757e118c4.jpg

When people do shit like this is where is becomes a mess. They built on top of the boundary. So not only on their property, making it a party wall - and a massive eyesore. Is this case the nearside is on the neighbors property, so becomes half their wall to deal with, build off, paint etc.

0c8fbb308c13ec2d331100232f24e1fa.jpg
                                                          MIL's is like option B there except much lower, sand & cememt finished and fully consented to.

So, you're saying that becomes a party wall. That then surely follows that the side of my neighbours house is a party wall given the side facing me is fully on my property.

Comment

Mellor; what if there's an issue that needs remediating in the narrow space between the party wall and the extension wall? How do you access that narrow space?

That's the only potential drawback to option A imo (that and the obvious waste of resources involved in building two walls!)
                                                            Rats come to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Good stuff OPR....time for brekky..work to 6 then back in!
                                                              Loads of Russians on my table with the some mad Brazilian players
                                                              Load of players on Stars from Belarus/Ukraine/Rus. From my experience, most of them aren't very good (many awful) but lots of them have aggression on their side which can make it hard to play against. The Brazilian's are a different animal. Many of them are just crazy lunatics but many of them with that playing style play it very well and are really good. They have huge poker stables in Brazil which provide resources and training and given the cost of living versus online profits you can see how it makes sense.
                                                              Last edited by Opr; 06-12-21, 14:14.

Comment

Rats come to mind.
                                                                Space is filled in up to height of boundary fence/wall

Comment

Viz generally has the best solutions.

b5c9f4a1ee842c449529d3e6785d231a.jpg

Comment

Load of players on Stars from Belarus/Ukraine/Rus. From my experience, most of them aren't very good (many awful) but lots of them have aggression on their side which can make it hard to play against. The Brazilian's are a different animal. Many of them are just crazy lunatics but many of them with that playing style play it very well and are really good. They have huge poker stables in Brazil which provide resources and training and given the cost of living versus online profits you can see how it makes sense.
                                                                    Fuck you BBV I get whacked by a Russian who was tilting out of his mind cause I 3 bet him relentlessly on the bubble and the first chance he gets after the bubble pops he slams it all in over my next 3 bet with A10 against my AA which was no match for his mighty hand. Still in with 20bb but that pot was for heaps!

Comment

Fuck you BBV I get whacked by a Russian who was tilting out of his mind cause I 3 bet him relentlessly on the bubble and the first chance he gets after the bubble pops he slams it all in over my next 3 bet with A10 against my AA which was no match for his mighty hand. Still in with 20bb but that pot was for heaps!
                                                                      Sick unlucky
                                                                      Keep her lit!

I'm gone for min cash
                                                                      Just walking back to car I lost 10% of stack

Sat in car in 2 minds as to drive home and blind away more
                                                                      Should have just done that as I was uncomfortable the whole time.
                                                                      Had a big stack RR me twice in a row.
                                                                      Got the third one through though!
                                                                      Absolute card rack..sets..winning races etc

Played a hand v another guy where I bet flop and checked turn trying to get tricky for a river bet as I thought 3 streets wasnt a goer.
                                                                      He hit trips on river so that was poor on my part I think.

Ended up shoving 15 bigs with K10 suited on S/B into card rack on B/B pretty much my first clear cut steal opp and he snaps with 99.......hits set obviously

Yesh really need to be in situ at home nice and comfortable with food ready etc.

Pity as really good value tourney.

Cheers for the head up on it (and hey I made a profit)

Good luck

Comment

Looking at Laz's photo I can see how a thoughtless person would just assume they have access and go to work with it ever crossing their mind they need to ask permission.
                                                                        Letting them use it is a big concession to preserving good neighbourly relations but I doubt he would ever recognise that even if it was spelled out to him.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Some horrible filth of a human being let their dog crap on the pavement outside the shop literally in front of the door . (Multiple deposits of it all squashed and tenderised and I felt that horrible squelch slip under my shoe)
                                                                          Bleach/suds/water and scrubbed it off the pavement...every whiff setting off the gag reflex.
                                                                          What sort of scumbag doesnt clean up that. Literally right where someone cant fail to step on it outside a shop door.
                                                                          Took me 20 mins to get it sorted.

Last time I stepped in dog crap I threw them in the wheely bin.

Comment

The dream is dead. GL to anyone still in. I see Fintan (easywithces twitcher) is still in with heaps and a 20k bounty on his head

Comment

62% of Internet users saw content they believed was 'untrue or doubtful' in 2021.

That's a little scary that 38% think they didn't.

Comment

The gap would typically be 10mm or so. In the image theres a not about flashing. Thats an important detail. When two extension get built, the space is filled.

If both neighbours can agree to build together, then combing the walls and roof into a single structure would maximize space without creating boundary, waterproofing issues.

MIL's is like option B there except much lower, sand & cement finished and fully consented to. So, you're saying that becomes a party wall.
                                                                                If it's built on the boundary, or on top of the original wall then it's a party wall, and should have required consent (which was given by the sounds of things).
                                                                                So neighbour "owns" half and can paint, sand and cement it, etc as they like. As DP can paint his back wall.

That then surely follows that the side of my neighbours house is a party wall given the side facing me is fully on my property.
                                                                                If it's built on the centered on the boundary, then its a party wall. In which case you'd own half. But you've no way from knowing that by looking at it.
                                                                                Extensions are built on the boundary as a legal compromise to maximize space. Building a new house like that from the start is a pretty bad as it leads to issues down the line. But that's not to say it doesn't happen.

Whether its a party wall or his wall, he needs to walk on your property to access it, so you have the same practical issue either way. P.retty inconsiderate of him. Get a mate around to "measure up for gates"
                                                                                If it's a party wall, you've got addition issues of his roof overhanging your property. Trivial if its always a driveway, but crops up when people want to extend.

Comment

The dream is dead. GL to anyone still in. I see Fintan (easywithces twitcher) is still in with heaps and a 20k bounty on his head
                                                                                  https://twitter.com/easywithaces/sta...008276992?s=21 Ouch
                                                                                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

What a buzz for the caller though. Pockets 20k and must be near one of the chip leaders. The mad thing about that whole promotion is that it was really poorly advertised. Most of the people on day 1 who were at tables with the Stars pros had no idea and weren't going after them.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Cool, sound like something I will like. Will head up if not too hungover..
                                                                                      Did ya pop in? Any joy? Interested to know if it finished in time or if the Icm split was required which add another dynamic to the latter stages

Comment

Did ya pop in? Any joy? Interested to know if it finished in time or if the Icm split was required which add another dynamic to the latter stages
                                                                                        Played there but was knocked out with about 31 or so left at about 5.30pm or so. Imagine they would have finished on the as was moving at a quick enough pace.
                                                                                        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Played in sporting tonight... Nice to see some of the old crowd there. The 6.15pm start is perfect as means you don't end up playing till stupid o'clock to make final table. Was fun and very relaxed.... Definitely will be back again.
                                                                                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Lax when you are done with the War on Plugs check this out for the victory beers at the weekend- War on Drugs livestream
                                                                                            Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Distubingly high amount of poker talk recently
                                                                                              Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                                Distubingly high amount of poker talk recently
                                                                                                Post(or mid) pandemic trauma.
                                                                                                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Stay in the leaba lads it's feckin' manky outside.

Comment

Mellor That's superb info man, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                                      Lax when you are done with the War on Plugs check this out for the victory beers at the weekend- War on Drugs livestream
                                                                                                      https://dreamstage.live/show/the-war-on-drugs
                                                                                                      The War On Plugs

Brilliant.

Thanks for that heads up, deadly

Comment

Least surprising fact of the pandemic?

Comment

Just catching up with the last couple of days of posts. I still really want to know what he thinks he's going to plus into that socket Lazare , even aside from the fact that he'd have to walk into your drive to plug something in, although that bit wouldn't bother me specifically. If it's a case of him needing power to do something at the front of the house but he didn't want the socket on the front, then put it just around the corner where he could reach from the front of his house, not several feet back.

Even if you do get gates in, I note a fairly small wall that he could just step over anyway, or are there bushes there now preventing that? Have you looked on the land registry website to see what they say are the property demarcations?

Comment

Yeah that small wall is still there Dom. His kids and their pals play on it and either side of it, so I guess I've always been relaxed about people being 'on my property'. Obviously too relaxed in his opinion.

No idea yet what he wants it for, I've never seen him out front with anything electrical before. Looks like he's gotten a hybrid Corolla, but I'm not sure whether you plug those in or not.

I'll check out that link later, cheers.

Comment

Yeah that small wall is still there Dom. His kids and their pals play on it and either side of it, so I guess I've always been relaxed about people being 'on my property'. Obviously too relaxed in his opinion.

No idea yet what he wants it for, I've never seen him out front with anything electrical before. Looks like he's gotten a hybrid Corolla, but I'm not sure whether you plug those in or not.

He's probably tapped into your mains supply and the plug is an elaborate double-bluff; "hey look over there!". WP him imo. Metagame.

Comment

I'd say it's pretty obviously for a PHEV. A plug in hybrid EV generally only require a "granny cable" as their battery capacity is relatively small so an overnight trickle charge from a domestic socket would do.

He is probably planning to plug in his charging cable and leave it plugged in and charge up his car. The issue of coming in and out of your garden wouldn't arise too often as the cable would always be plugged in and he'd be plugging in and out his car only. I do the same with my PHEV (leave the cable plugged in all the time as it's easier). However, it would be a trip hazard and kids will likely be drawn to it in your situation so I wouldn't be too happy about it...

The reason why it's so far back is pretty obvious as that is where the socket inside is positioned that he's running off. He could have easily extended the electric cable and pinned it neatly along the bottom of the wall before mounting the outside socket at the front of his own house but either didn't think about it or didn't care enough about inconveniencing you.
                                                                                                                Once battery power of the plug-in car is used up, the hybrid engine automatically takes over, so there is none of the “range anxiety” drivers can experience with all-electric vehicles. Plug-in technology allows you to further reduce overall fuel consumption, the more frequently you recharge.
                                                                                                                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

If you say nothing about him coming onto your property to install a plug that he needs to access your property every time he wants to use it, you will get some land when his new Electric car is parked in your drive hooked up to the plug.

Nip it now.
                                                                                                                  .
                                                                                                                  Lol, yes you plug them in. And they use a normal plug too not a bad aul shout by me. Only a matter of time before he gets sick of taking out and putting away a cable and just starts parking in your drive. Wp him.

Comment

I'm not sure how he can plug an EV in there anyway, regardless of where the socket is. The cable would need to cross a public footpath.

Unless he parked in my driveway of course.

Have made the decision to tell him to move it if that's what it's for.

Comment

Those plug-in-hybrids seem to be the new default new car now. 50km on battery to suit 95% of trips, and then the petrol tank for the bigger journeys. Was down in Tipp for the weekend and I'm not sure all-electric stress is worth it for trips of that length. If any charger is out of action you are essentially having to leave a hunk of useless metal on the road and walk away.

We rolled into Knocktopher with 10km left and the vague hope that their supposed charger wouldn't be el busto in a place where it presumably wouldn't be used by anyone. Although it turns out that two Teslas turned up while we were charging, so clearly the Tesla market has extended beyond Blackrock.

Stopped in a motorway service place on the way back with a new megacharger and it topped up the car in a few minutes, so the solutions are out there, they're just not perfect yet. Especially not with NO-PIMBY* pricks like laz who won't contribute to the cause by allowing his driveway to be used to charge neighbourhood cars. He'll use the neighbourhood herb garden but won't contribute to the neighbourhood power needs.

* No plugs in my back yard
                                                                                                                      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Thoughts with Thersa Mannion at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                                          Those plug-in-hybrids seem to be the new default new car now. 50km on battery to suit 95% of trips, and then the petrol tank for the bigger journeys. Was down in Tipp for the weekend and I'm not sure all-electric stress is worth it for trips of that length. If any charger is out of action you are essentially having to leave a hunk of useless metal on the road and walk away.

We rolled into Knocktopher with 10km left and the vague hope that their supposed charger wouldn't be el busto in a place where it presumably wouldn't be used by anyone. Although it turns out that two Teslas turned up while we were charging, so clearly the Tesla market has extended beyond Blackrock.

Stopped in a motorway service place on the way back with a new megacharger and it topped up the car in a few minutes, so the solutions are out there, they're just not perfect yet. Especially not with NO-PIMBY* pricks like laz who won't contribute to the cause by allowing his driveway to be used to charge neighbourhood cars. He'll use the neighbourhood herb garden but won't contribute to the neighbourhood power needs.

* No plugs in my back yard
                                                                                                                          If you live in a rural area and are a two car household then a combo of EV and PHEV is perfect. For a one car household living in the city I think I agree with you or else go fully EV and have some alternative (Go Car or whatever) for the rare long distance journey. This is based on PHEV/EV technology which is a few years old....

I'm planning to ditch my Leaf at some stage next year and for the first time ever I'm toying with buying a brand new car.

I'm currently considering the new facelift version of the MG ZS EV which has a 72 KW battery and a 400km+ real world range...€37k for the top spec. My general depreciation rate on cars is about 1.5-2.0k per annum and this would be basically moving me more towards 3-4k per annum which my internal monologue is struggling to justify....if it was something nice for my house or a bit of nice gear I don't think I'd spend too long on what is effectively a 15-20k net decision but I struggle to justify spending significant money on a car. Whilst I like a nice car I don't really care that much once a car is comfortable and reliable.

A friend of my wife's bought himself an SUV last year and spent about 70k on it and it now spends most of it's time sitting in his driveway in Clontarf (he mainly cycles to work when it's not Covid WFH times). Meanwhile he can't afford to extend his house and is planning to put a kid through private school. Money and how we manage it and spend it is a fascinating lens to look through....

‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X