This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Keane View Post
    Actually I meant to post for a while but apparently there's a reboot of Babylon 5 in the works, I know a few people here were fans.
    Just getting to this now. It was such a low tech sci fi show, but the story was so good, even though the last season was a bit off. Should have wrapped after season 4 which seemed like a natural conclusion to me at the time. Interesting to see how they redo this.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Maybe the lads you've played with had plenty of soccer experience. I've loads of anecdotes from my side, maybe it's a culchie experience? Most of the country schools down here had no soccer. Some craic asking the teachers to have a soccer team. LOL foreign sports, is the GAA not good enough for ya young man!?

I brought an actual soccer fella to one of these GAA lads 5 a side games. He got kicked after 5 mins and stayed in goals for the duration. "I'm never playing with these animals again, I have to go f****in work tomorrow lad!"
      Yeah it could be that, they were all pretty decent at football. Pretty small sample size anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
        I'm I the only one who doesn't understand the Garth Brooks mania?
        Ah, we all have friends in low places that enjoy him.
        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

It'd be enough to make a Christian out of him

No atheists in foxholes at Garth Brooks concerts
          I've found myself reading some Christian theology recently due to helping someone with something and it's very interesting. I never knew anything about it.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

I've found myself reading some Christian theology recently due to helping someone with something and it's very interesting. I never knew anything about it.
            Always thought liberation theology would be an interesting subject area (with probably a large dose of non-religious topics).
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Comment

I say you'd find the reading the Toyota Corolla 1980-1987 Haynes Manual interesting compared to watching Spurs.
                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I say you'd find the reading the Toyota Corolla 1980-1987 Haynes Manual interesting compared to watching Spurs.
                  Who wouldn't?
                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

They pass the ball even less than you.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Who wouldn't?
                      Shower of contes.

Comment

Happy Self Defence Thanksgiving.
                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Got to hand t to the Americans, it is delightful for those of us that work for them to get a day off to do online Xmas shopping every year.
                          You definitely work for a unique American company!

Comment

George Best and Maradona anniversary today.

Best story

SPOILER
                            Even the greatest George Best fans had to admit, by 1976, that his best days were well behind him. 30 years old. Addicted to alcohol. Kicked out of Manchester United. George Best, many argued, was now a pale shadow of the genius dribbler he once was.

That’s also what Dutch journalist Bert Nederlof thought. With the Holland vs Northern Ireland World Cup qualifier approaching, Nederlof was assigned the task to write a portrait of George Best. Nederlof flew to London to watch Best play for his new club Fulham against Southhampton. After 90 minutes, Nederlof had seen enough. He wrote that Best was a fallen superstar no longer able to do what it takes to be a good footballer. Nederlof would soon regret those words.

A few hundred miles away, British journalist Bill Elliot was traveling with the Irish squad to the stadium where they’d meet Holland. The Orange squad, and their captain Johan Cruyff, in 1976, were synonymous with greatness. Elliot asked Best what he thought of Cruyff. “Outstanding”. “Better than you?”. George looked at the journalist and laughed. ‘You’re kidding aren’t you? I tell you what I’ll do tonight… I’ll nutmeg Cruyff first chance I get.”

What follows is Elliot’s description. “Five minutes into the game Best received the ball wide on the left. Instead of heading towards goal he turned directly infield, weaved his way past at least three Dutchmen and found his way to Cruyff who was wide right. He took the ball to his opponent, dipped a shoulder twice and slipped it between Cruyff’s feet. As he ran round to collect it and run on he raised his right fist into the air.”

“Only a few of us in the press box knew what this bravado act really meant. Johan Cruyff the best in the world? Are you kidding? Only an idiot would have thought that on this evening.”

While there doesn’t exist video evidence of this historic scene, Nederlof confirms that Best had played an absolutely incredible match, inspiring small Northern Ireland to a 2-2 draw against the best team in the world. “After the game, I caught the eye of the Dutch coach, Jan Zwartkruis. He gave me the most cold stare I’ve ever witnessed. Perhaps I shouldn’t have told him before the game that Best was nothing to worry about”.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                              George Best and Maradona anniversary today.

Best story

SPOILER
                              Even the greatest George Best fans had to admit, by 1976, that his best days were well behind him. 30 years old. Addicted to alcohol. Kicked out of Manchester United. George Best, many argued, was now a pale shadow of the genius dribbler he once was.

That’s also what Dutch journalist Bert Nederlof thought. With the Holland vs Northern Ireland World Cup qualifier approaching, Nederlof was assigned the task to write a portrait of George Best. Nederlof flew to London to watch Best play for his new club Fulham against Southhampton. After 90 minutes, Nederlof had seen enough. He wrote that Best was a fallen superstar no longer able to do what it takes to be a good footballer. Nederlof would soon regret those words.

A few hundred miles away, British journalist Bill Elliot was traveling with the Irish squad to the stadium where they’d meet Holland. The Orange squad, and their captain Johan Cruyff, in 1976, were synonymous with greatness. Elliot asked Best what he thought of Cruyff. “Outstanding”. “Better than you?”. George looked at the journalist and laughed. ‘You’re kidding aren’t you? I tell you what I’ll do tonight… I’ll nutmeg Cruyff first chance I get.”

What follows is Elliot’s description. “Five minutes into the game Best received the ball wide on the left. Instead of heading towards goal he turned directly infield, weaved his way past at least three Dutchmen and found his way to Cruyff who was wide right. He took the ball to his opponent, dipped a shoulder twice and slipped it between Cruyff’s feet. As he ran round to collect it and run on he raised his right fist into the air.”

“Only a few of us in the press box knew what this bravado act really meant. Johan Cruyff the best in the world? Are you kidding? Only an idiot would have thought that on this evening.”

While there doesn’t exist video evidence of this historic scene, Nederlof confirms that Best had played an absolutely incredible match, inspiring small Northern Ireland to a 2-2 draw against the best team in the world. “After the game, I caught the eye of the Dutch coach, Jan Zwartkruis. He gave me the most cold stare I’ve ever witnessed. Perhaps I shouldn’t have told him before the game that Best was nothing to worry about”.
                              I've heard that one countless times but I always smile when I read it. The ability that Best had was just incredible. Such balance and poise. Strong, fast, genuinely two-footed, dribbling, passing, finishing. The complete package. Was looking at some of his highlights and noticed Bobby Charlton literally step out of his way to let him do his thing.

Comment

The new Nuu variant sounds concerning.

Comment

Have got my 1st cold in I dunno how long. What's the trick again? A bowl of a chicken Soup and sweat it out in a sauna .
                                  have accompanying aches etc so I presume I ignore these and try to do be brave to avoid accusations of Man Flu type behaviour. No cough yet so sleep should be fine . I owe da mudder a thank you for the salubrious antibodies . Should be fine by this evening .

Comment

Will be some craic when exceptions are made for the Munster team.
                                    Despite the sounds that were coming out of Downing street at least two planes landed in from Joburg this morning and people just got off to continue - mask's 'suggested'- on public transport.

I suppose we will follow but not before many hundreds have arrived via Dubai, Istanbul etc. Mandatory hotel isolation has lapsed so I can't imagine its going to be something that can be turned back on immediately.
                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Have got my 1st cold in I dunno how long. What's the trick again? A bowl of a chicken Soup and sweat it out in a sauna .
                                      have accompanying aches etc so I presume I ignore these and try to do be brave to avoid accusations of Man Flu type behaviour. No cough yet so sleep should be fine . I owe da mudder a thank you for the salubrious antibodies . Should be fine by this evening .

The trick is you presume its Covid until you have a negative PCR test result.

Does anyone really not know that at this stage?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

The trick is you presume its Covid until you have a negative PCR test result.

Does anyone really not know that at this stage?
                                        Thing up my nose said I'm not pregnant.

Comment

Sense of smell and taste still not fully back. Was licking some ginger last night and getting nothing out of it.
                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                            Sense of smell and taste still not fully back. Was licking some ginger last night and getting nothing out of it.
                                            Did she at least squirt in your eye ?

Comment

Did she at least squirt in your eye ?
                                              probably talking abut his cat imo

Comment

I think we should start thinking about setting up internment camps for the unvaccinated

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                  I think we should start thinking about setting up internment camps for the unvaccinated
                                                  They're called Beer Gardens

Comment

Went out last night to a comedy night, thats a push really using that term, the MC, a local comedian Karl Spain was very good, surprisingly good..great job warming the crowd up...as for the 2 acts, Emma Doran and Fr Dougal himself, Ardal O;Hanlon...shockingly poor from both, im still a bit surprised at how poor they actually were.
                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                      Went out last night to a comedy night, thats a push really using that term, the MC, a local comedian Karl Spain was very good, surprisingly good..great job warming the crowd up...as for the 2 acts, Emma Doran and Fr Dougal himself, Ardal O;Hanlon...shockingly poor from both, im still a bit surprised at how poor they actually were.
                                                      Saw him in Antwerp probably nearly two years ago now, he was supporting Keven Bridges and stole the show, he was excellent and I was actually shocked how good he was.

Comment

Here's a proper funnyman, Humphries has been doing this schtick for decades and not only has he the timing nailed on you can see how he only needs a few little adjustments to paly it as Dame Edna or Sir Les. This also highlights how a willing audience is half the battle, probably relevant to the gig Ole went to last night.

Comment

Markets not loving it anyway. A few grand down the spout today although my Pfizer shares are up 6%

Comment

He is lined up for the next season of Taskmaster anyway. Should be fun watching Greg Davies making mincemeat out of him.
                                                            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Markets not loving it anyway. A few grand down the spout today although my Pfizer shares are up 6%
                                                              Do you have more than 100k in index funds or are you in a couple of handpicked stocks?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                How much was the replica?
                                                                I kinda feel bad going for a knock off over a legitimate one. and its just some chinese factory blatently stealing the design.
                                                                On the other hand, it's considerable more likely that I'll buy a replicas than the real thing.

Assuming by replica you don't mean official replica.
                                                                Got a savage deal on a steelform copy. Top class materials and some structural reinforcements over and above the original design.
                                                                Whilst I am composed largely of notions, I balk a little at blowing 8k on a chair.
                                                                Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Speaking of notions. My wife bought me a Kenyan top from the Nike store.

It's a cracking looking top, I had remarked how much I loved the gear on Kipchoge, but I dunno, notions. Although maybe it's no different to wearing a UTD shirt.
                                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Do you have more than 100k in index funds or are you in a couple of handpicked stocks?
                                                                    The latter.

Comment

They called it Omicron, which sounds like one of the Transformers.

May or may not be a thing anyway. The Kent variant didn't take off.

Comment

Welcome reminder that Swaziland rebranded itself as Eswatini.

More countries should change their names periodically. Surely we can improve on 'Ireland'?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                          Speaking of notions. My wife bought me a Kenyan top from the Nike store.

It's a cracking looking top, I had remarked how much I loved the gear on Kipchoge, but I dunno, notions. Although maybe it's no different to wearing a UTD shirt.
                                                                          Dont do the black face thing . People have no sense of humour these days . Feck do it. The excitement in the village when a Kenyan is spotted running by the petrol station . It's a tribute. Nothing else. A tribute .

Comment

More countries should change their names periodically. Surely we can improve on 'Ireland'?
                                                                            Call it Ireland 32

Comment

Dont do the black face thing . People have no sense of humour these days . Feck do it. The excitement in the village when a Kenyan is spotted running by the petrol station . It's a tribute. Nothing else. A tribute .
                                                                              I read it as a Kanye top and wondered WTF you were on about. Visions of Laz bedecked in gold bling trotting down the road.

Comment

Trump @ 4.4 lumpage?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                  Trump @ 4.4 lumpage?
                                                                                  3 years out? No.

Comment

I was wandering around london when I stumbled across their embassy and had to Google it as I couldn’t understand why I’d never heard of the country.

It has some very interesting history.
                                                                                    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

I was wandering around london when I stumbled across their embassy and had to Google it as I couldn’t understand why I’d never heard of the country.

It has some very interesting history.
                                                                                      You should check out the ceremony of the reed dance.

Comment

RIP Stephen Sondheim

Comment

Comment

I see the virtual land I sold for €16,000 two fucking weeks ago to cover the cost of plumbing, is now worth €40,000. That stings like a mofo. I'm comfort eating Snax Potato Puffs to try to recover from looking that up.
                                                                                            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Parked in town for a gig tonight. Only car for a fairly long stretch in either direction on a very wide street and some genius still managed to cycle into the back of it (no obvious damage though)

Comment

I flew from Mexico City to Monterrey earlier in the week. Monterrey is a much more "Mexican" city than DF, it's a lot closer to America and feels like a frontier town. The place is about the same size as Dublin, and surrounded on all sides by amazing looking mountains. I had a few hours to kill yesterday and decided to walk up the closest hill, which is covered in very picturesque multicoloured house and in an area called Independencia . I got about half the way up and was covered in sweat and very thirsty, so I tried to look for a shop. I found one which despite being fully stocked was closed at 3pm, which was odd, so I keep climbing. Eventually, I found a little shop and went in and purchased two big bottles of water. It's hard to describe, but there was a strange atmosphere in the shop, despite me conducting the whole thing in Spanish, it just being me and an old man. Anyway, I left and kept climbing.

I got another quarter of the way up and I noticed something strange about the people. One of the things I love about Mexico is despite looking like the biggest gringo going everyone just ignores me and goes about their business. I spent a while before in Puerto Morelos, a tiny little coastal town that would have no tourists, and I could just go about my business like anyone despite sticking out like a sore thumb. But on this street it seemed different, people were looking at me, and not in a particularly friendly fashion.

But I was determined to get to the top, so I kept climbing. I walked past a guy and nodded to him, he completely ignored me despite looking at me. This is when I realised something was really wrong, it's actually quite hard not to nod at someone that nods at you. I had a problem though, I was on a straight road, I could either keep going or turn around. Turning around makes it clear I have decided to turn back for a reason, I was reluctant to show fear - and also brings with it a certain social shame. So I kept going.

The road then narrowed to a series of steps. There were three men standing on the steps staring at me. At this stage, I was out of breath and covered in sweat. I went a couple of meters past them and realised the path then swung left where I would be out of sight of the road. Reason finally took a grip of me and I swung around and started walking back down the hill.

I didn't look back until I was in the safe environment of a bank protected by Security guards with shotguns. I whipped out my phone and googled unsafe areas of Monterrey.

"Haven’t been to Monterrey in a while so not 100% sure how it is nowadays BUT I’d stay out of the neighborhood Independencia (“la indepe”), specially up on the hills, the upper you go the tougher it gets."

Answer (1 of 4): If you are with local people, I would say no worries at all. You will be fine anywhere. If you are wondering around by yourself you might just want to avoid any of the less developed areas on the outer edges of the area in Santa Catarina, Solidaridad, and Escobedo. As well, avoi...

Comment

The Book of Mormon was a lot of fun. The pubs closing so early, not so much.

Comment

If you see a big name like that at a small night they're probably trying new material and will be more miss than hit. Better to see a local at a big night for them as you said. They'll be giving it 100%.
                                                                                                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

That's scary stuff HJ

Comment

Wow, that's some gesture.

Comment

I flew from Mexico City to Monterrey earlier in the week. Monterrey is a much more "Mexican" city than DF, it's a lot closer to America and feels like a frontier town. The place is about the same size as Dublin, and surrounded on all sides by amazing looking mountains. I had a few hours to kill yesterday and decided to walk up the closest hill, which is covered in very picturesque multicoloured house and in an area called Independencia . I got about half the way up and was covered in sweat and very thirsty, so I tried to look for a shop. I found one which despite being fully stocked was closed at 3pm, which was odd, so I keep climbing. Eventually, I found a little shop and went in and purchased two big bottles of water. It's hard to describe, but there was a strange atmosphere in the shop, despite me conducting the whole thing in Spanish, it just being me and an old man. Anyway, I left and kept climbing.

I got another quarter of the way up and I noticed something strange about the people. One of the things I love about Mexico is despite looking like the biggest gringo going everyone just ignores me and goes about their business. I spent a while before in Puerto Morelos, a tiny little coastal town that would have no tourists, and I could just go about my business like anyone despite sticking out like a sore thumb. But on this street it seemed different, people were looking at me, and not in a particularly friendly fashion.

But I was determined to get to the top, so I kept climbing. I walked past a guy and nodded to him, he completely ignored me despite looking at me. This is when I realised something was really wrong, it's actually quite hard not to nod at someone that nods at you. I had a problem though, I was on a straight road, I could either keep going or turn around. Turning around makes it clear I have decided to turn back for a reason, I was reluctant to show fear - and also brings with it a certain social shame. So I kept going.

The road then narrowed to a series of steps. There were three men standing on the steps staring at me. At this stage, I was out of breath and covered in sweat. I went a couple of meters past them and realised the path then swung left where I would be out of sight of the road. Reason finally took a grip of me and I swung around and started walking back down the hill.

I didn't look back until I was in the safe environment of a bank protected by Security guards with shotguns. I whipped out my phone and googled unsafe areas of Monterrey.

"Haven’t been to Monterrey in a while so not 100% sure how it is nowadays BUT I’d stay out of the neighborhood Independencia (“la indepe”), specially up on the hills, the upper you go the tougher it gets."

Answer (1 of 4): If you are with local people, I would say no worries at all. You will be fine anywhere. If you are wondering around by yourself you might just want to avoid any of the less developed areas on the outer edges of the area in Santa Catarina, Solidaridad, and Escobedo. As well, avoi...

Firstly HJ looks more like a Mexican than most of us so never going there.

reminded me of the Agua Caliente scene .

Comment

@HJ: you should have a read of Paul Theroux's Mexico book.

Comment

Oh cool, I will read that. I'm actually halfway through The Great Railway Bazaar.

Comment

Antigens on special in Dunnes €2
                                                                                                                His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Oh cool, I will read that. I'm actually halfway through The Great Railway Bazaar.
                                                                                                                  Don't get duffilled.

Duffill had that uneasy look of a man who has left his parcels elsewhere, which is also the look of a man who thinks he's being followed. His oversized clothes made him seem frail. A mouse-grey gabardine coat slumped in folds from his shoulders, the cuffs so long, they reached to his fingertips and answered the length of his trampled trousers. He smelt of bread crusts. He still wore his tweed cap, and he too was fighting a cold. His shoes were interesting, the all-purpose brogans country people wear. Although I could not place his accent – he was asking the barman for cider – there was something else of the provinces about him, a stubborn frugality in his serviceable clothes, which is shabbiness in a Londoner's. He could tell you where he bought that cap and coat, and for how much, and how long those shoes had lasted. A few minutes later I passed by him in a corner of the lounge and saw that he had opened one of his parcels. A knife, a length of French bread, a tube of mustard, and discs of bright-red salami were spread before him. Lost in thought, he slowly chewed his sandwich.

Comment

Apologies if I missed it, but HJ are you now living in mexico these days?

Comment

Apologies if I missed it, but HJ are you now living in mexico these days?
                                                                                                                      No, just here on an extended vacation. I'll be back in Ireland in time for Christmas (which I hate), bad weather and further lockdowns. I can't wait

Comment

I've a spare ticket for the Book of Mormon at 7.30 if anyone's around?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                                                          I've a spare ticket for the Book of Mormon at 7.30 if anyone's around?
                                                                                                                          I'll go again if no one else wants it.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X