X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of tradition and culture.

RIP Paddy Maloney

Comment

Could ye link that China history course again please?

Comment

Meant to ask a while back, but can I get a link to the History of China lectures?
        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Have that Keano fella on ignore obvs

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
              Why is there no campaigns from RSA about sticking to the left lane unless overtaking so you greatly reduce your chance of smashing head on with people heading down the wrong side of the motorway? It happens so so often. You don't even see it coming. Your brain looks for the red lights and it happens so fast. So many fatalities because of it.
              campaign - no never saw one.
              But it is taught to stay left, and we all know the rightmost lanes are "overtaking lanes", not fast lanes etc as most Irish people name them.
              Then again, learners aren't meant to be on motorways, so maybe it's too late to put theory into practice once they've past the test and are allowed on.

I don't think they could campaign for people to stay left solely on the actions of a few drugged up Muppets escaping the guards though really.
              Perhaps the campaign should be "let's not drive the wrong way on a motorway to begin with".
              Last edited by Micknail; 12-10-21, 13:13.
              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

campaign - no never saw one.
                But it is taught to stay left, and we all know the rightmost lanes are "overtaking lanes", not fast lanes etc as most Irish people name them.
                Then again, learners aren't meant to be on motorways, so maybe it's too late to put theory into practice once they've past the test and are allowed on.

I don't think they could campaign for people to stay left solely on the actions of a few drugged up Muppets escaping the guards though really.
                Perhaps the campaign should be "let's not drive the wrong way on a motorway to begin with
                ".
                Think that is a bit Naive, If it wasn't for the boys cooking on the Naas Road i would have never thought of people escaping from the Gards and i've long felt like this.
                Most head on collisions on national motorways are caused by this(Obviously) and it's more doddery old folks, genuine mistaken wrong turns on to the motorway, tourists or people on a suicide mission doing the driving in broad daylight then what you suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                  Could ye link that China history course again please?
                  Get multilevel insights into one of the most astounding real-life dramas in modern history. Review China’s social, political, and economical rebirth, led by a Distinguished Professor of Political Science and expert.

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

A fitbit email informs me that my steps last week were 150,252. A not-too-shabby 16.5 kilometres a day. Still haven't caught Tar though.

Comment

Serious light show here last night. We took a spin out to north of city to get away from lights as much as we could and it was class.
                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post

Think that is a bit Naive, If it wasn't for the boys cooking on the Naas Road i would have never thought of people escaping from the Gards and i've long felt like this.
                        Most head on collisions on national motorways are caused by this(Obviously) and it's more doddery old folks, genuine mistaken wrong turns on to the motorway, tourists or people on a suicide mission doing the driving in broad daylight then what you suggested.
                        Well improved signage would probably mitigate that, If it even is possible in some of the cases above.

​​​​​​The problem is the bolded people above, not the fact people drive in the correct direction on motorways in the lanes provided.

I'd laugh at the perceived impact on people at an Ad on Tele saying keep left on the motorway, someone might come against you the wrong way!!! What if the scrotes use the hard shoulder to your left, should you stay right just in case?

How many "speed" campaigns do they run, and you have newbie driver here wondering are speed limits really limits in built up areas already?! I really do like driving, and riding a bike, but I do hope lots of road users are allowed to work from home, as they are fucking chronically bad on a daily basis for getting from point A to B.

Tldr, campaigns are shite,
                        Most drivers are shite too.
                        But don't target the people driving the correct way down a motorway.
                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                          A fitbit email informs me that my steps last week were 150,252. A not-too-shabby 16.5 kilometres a day. Still haven't caught Tar though.
                          Stop walking after him, you need to cut him off at the turns.
                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Will we ever give up table service in pubs? It seems a far better system.

Comment

A far better system if implemented right. But I've seen bar staff who are already sick of it and just end up saying you need to order at the bar. Last 3 places I was in stopped serving us at the table and told us we could only get drinks at the bar.

Then you have the issue of places refusing to split a bill which means someone has to pay and we have the hassle of who owes what to transfer it to bank or revolut or sort out cash.

Much easier to just go to the bar, get my drink, pay and be happy. Irish bar staff are pretty shite in general anyway and table service has been pretty poor most places I've been.

Comment

I will be happy to see the back of masks tho. I'm not anti mask and I wear it everywhere I'm required to but jesus I'm sick of it. The sooner we go back to optional, the better. At this stage people should have the choice whether to wear them or not and decide on what situation requires it.

Comment

Ballsy stance from Sally Rooney. Fair play.
                                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Get multilevel insights into one of the most astounding real-life dramas in modern history. Review China’s social, political, and economical rebirth, led by a Distinguished Professor of Political Science and expert.

I had it in my head that they were podcasts. Have no room in the regular routine for videos which is a pity.

​​​​​​

Comment

Being able to buy a drink at the bar, or stay at the bar leaning against the bar counter is one of the best things about pubs

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

I had it in my head that they were podcasts. Have no room in the regular routine for videos which is a pity.

​​​​​​
                                        It's both video and podcast. It's just a slider button to switch it between video and podcast in the app.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                          I will be happy to see the back of masks tho. I'm not anti mask and I wear it everywhere I'm required to but jesus I'm sick of it. The sooner we go back to optional, the better. At this stage people should have the choice whether to wear them or not and decide on what situation requires it.
                                          I walked in a class today and everyone put their mask on, so they were all sitting without masks until the prof walked in. Wanted to tell them to not bother putting them on but there's a risk there of someone taking offence.

Comment

It's both video and podcast. It's just a slider button to switch it between video and podcast in the app.
                                            Ah, ok. Do you not lose a little though? From the trailer it seemed there was a lot of visuals, illustrations etc.

Comment

Ah, ok. Do you not lose a little though? From the trailer it seemed there was a lot of visuals, illustrations etc.
                                              Don't think so. I watched it about half video and half podcast and didn't notice a difference.

​​​​​​

Comment

A few pub pints of Guinness with a packet of dry roasted peanuts . Then a curry to round the night off . Feck yer Chapter 1 .

Comment

Was away at the weekend and seems new renters next door to aul lad had a housewarming, Mrs and himself couldnt sleep.

Mrs bought some earplugs and gave two to aul lad today and said "there's a present for ya".

I went into sitting room and there he was chewing on them.

This is great craic.

Comment

I walked in a class today and everyone put their mask on, so they were all sitting without masks until the prof walked in. Wanted to tell them to not bother putting them on but there's a risk there of someone taking offence.
                                                    We have a similar situation almost every day. Our class of 6-8 hang out together between lectures sometimes. We can be anywhere on campus, sitting next to each other with no masks but in class, we have to mask up even tho we are sitting next to the same people.

Tbf, everyone wears the mask because they "have to" and only 1 teacher has asked people to put masks on.

I always wondered what would happen if a teacher said dont bother with the masks if you dont want. They would have my utmost respect but I understand their hands are probably tied in the situation.

Comment

If you could get table service at the level of service you get in the US or Canada, you'd be laughing.

But nothing can beat sitting at the bar, the barman giving you a nod while pointing at the last quarter of your pint, you giving him a nod back and a fresh pint arriving a few minutes later.

Comment

Originally posted by paul8200 View Post

Being able to buy a drink at the bar, or stay at the bar leaning against the bar counter is one of the best things about pubs
                                                        This for sure. A simple pleasure in life is sitting at a bar counter and talking shite with the barman or whoever you happened to sit beside.

Comment

Irish bar staff are pretty shite in general anyway and table service has been pretty poor most places I've been.
                                                          Jeez, i think that's hugely unfair. Now i know you said "in general" but a proper Irish barman is a great thing to watch in action on busy nights. They can certainly be found but generally in the better bars i guess. You are either made for it or not, it's a proper trade like all others.

There are proper shite ones around though alright. Generally found in late bars/niteclubs as they are thrown in with next to no training and don't give a shite.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                            Was away at the weekend and seems new renters next door to aul lad had a housewarming, Mrs and himself couldnt sleep.

Mrs bought some earplugs and gave two to aul lad today and said "there's a present for ya".

I went into sitting room and there he was chewing on them.

This is great craic.
                                                            Dropped into my Dad on the way home, handed him some cash and said 'Paul will be here tomorrow to do the gutters and the windows, that's to pay him'

'Right, no problem'

'You remember Paul don't you?'

'Of course I do, he's been here a good few times, lovely lad'

15 minutes later

'What's the name of the lad coming tomorrow?'

'Paul'

'Right, no idea what his name is'

30 minutes later, I'm leaving, taking his washing and dry cleaning to drop it in for him.

'Do you need anything else?'

'Yeah, but I can't remember. I'll ring you later if I think of it'

Me (Internally) 'Let's hope it doesn't involve me having to be here and having to drive back across the city'

The reversal of the parent/child role is a killer.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Jeez, i think that's hugely unfair. Now i know you said "in general" but a proper Irish barman is a great thing to watch in action on busy nights. They can certainly be found but generally in the better bars i guess. You are either made for it or not, it's a proper trade like all others.

There are proper shite ones around though alright. Generally found in late bars/niteclubs as they are thrown in with next to no training and don't give a shite.
                                                              Tbf it's only become apparent with the covid restrictions. They dont have any idea of how to work the floor in an efficient way. And maybe I just have unrealistic expectations of good bar staff cos I'd consider myself a good bar man. Have had some top class managers and mentors down the years though.

Comment

The furthest a good barman should have to travel is the bar counter though. Waiting on tables is not his skillset, nor should it be. It's filling as many drinks as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
                                                                  The furthest a good barman should have to travel is the bar counter though. Waiting on tables is not his skillset, nor should it be. It's filling as many drinks as possible.
                                                                  I did specify bar staff in my OP, not bar man. Think that's where your confusion is coming in.

A good bar man on a busy evening is a sight to behold.

Comment

I did specify bar staff in my OP, not bar man. Think that's where your confusion is coming in.

A good bar man on a busy evening is a sight to behold.
                                                                    Fair enough. I guess it's something that as a whole we never really did. In the vast majority of pubs you went to the counter to get your drink. No such thing as tabs really and mostly a cash business until recent years. Now you needed staff to go get orders, set up an ordering system, process to handle multiple tabs and card payments and efficiently get drink to customers as fast as possible. Huge amount of brand new staff who never worked in a pub before also i'd imagine. Adding in the whole outdoor situation where there was a long walk from the outdoor place to the actual bar for staff or where makeshift bars were set up.

So i'd agree that there were definitely issues for sure but overall it probably worked ok from what i saw - not that i was moving around to many bars in the last 18 months or anything!

Comment

There is some adrenaline rush working a mental busy bar. I used to absolutely love it.

Comment

There is some adrenaline rush working a mental busy bar. I used to absolutely love it.
                                                                        Yep, got the buzz back at the weekend with the new job. Novelty factor will stay because I'm only doing Friday nights and Saturdays so I can still knock the craic out of it. Double with the fact we are only dealing with less than 100 people, it's a handy number. Me and one other working the bar, shes top class and easy to work with which makes a big difference.

We are serving at the bar too cos it's a private venue so no nonsense table service thankfully.

Comment

We have a similar situation almost every day. Our class of 6-8 hang out together between lectures sometimes. We can be anywhere on campus, sitting next to each other with no masks but in class, we have to mask up even tho we are sitting next to the same people.

Tbf, everyone wears the mask because they "have to" and only 1 teacher has asked people to put masks on.

I always wondered what would happen if a teacher said dont bother with the masks if you dont want. They would have my utmost respect but I understand their hands are probably tied in the situation.
                                                                          See I'd be nervous that there might be someone in the class who has a medical condition and is only in the class on the assumption it will all be masked. Not that I think the masks are helping when everyone is sitting in a room together for two hours, but just a bit mindful of their sense of whatever. Hopefully its all lifted soon anyway!

Comment

Maybe its just the particularly charming bar-table-person this evening in the lombard, it seems to have added a new vibrancy to some of those older places, as its not just the quiet (very efficient) barman behind the bar.

Is O'Neills on Pearse Street permanently shut? Thats where we were meant to meet before seeing it shut. Would be a crying shame to lose a bar of that character (don't @ me tradmusic-but-what-about-my-cobble freaks)

Comment

Maybe its just the particularly charming bar-table-person this evening in the lombard, it seems to have added a new vibrancy to some of those older places, as its not just the quiet (very efficient) barman behind the bar.

Is O'Neills on Pearse Street permanently shut? Thats where we were meant to meet before seeing it shut. Would be a crying shame to lose a bar of that character (don't @ me tradmusic-but-what-about-my-cobble freaks)

O'Neills on Pearse St is now a hotel residents bar.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

O'Neills on Pearse St is now a hotel residents bar.
                                                                                You bastard , what are you some kind of cruel genie ?

Comment

Similar to a casino I suppose. I used to genuinely love working in the Fitz. I'd cycle to work, insult staff in the staff room and then go on the tables to insult some customers.Now I don't get to insult anyone at all

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Similar to a casino I suppose. I used to genuinely love working in the Fitz. I'd cycle to work, insult staff in the staff room and then go on the tables to insult some customers.Now I don't get to insult anyone at all
                                                                                    Yep, the craic with punters made for great job satisfaction.

Comment

Never pulled a pint behind a bar, drank enough of them though

9 years smoke free today.
                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

You bastard , what are you some kind of cruel genie ?

Right time, right place!

Seriously though, as far as I know O'Neills has been sold or at least is in the process of being sold but I don't know what plans the new owners have for it.

Comment

Right time, right place!

Seriously though, as far as I know O'Neills has been sold or at least is in the process of being sold but I don't know what plans the new owners have for it.
                                                                                            Yep. Thats shocking. I should have been paying rent on the place the amount of years I spent at those lovely tables chatting bullshit and sipping pints.

Comment

​​​​​​
                                                                                              I listen to it on Audible.

@Hitch, just about to get into Cutural Revolution.

Comment

Dropped into my Dad on the way home, handed him some cash and said 'Paul will be here tomorrow to do the gutters and the windows, that's to pay him'

'Right, no problem'

'You remember Paul don't you?'

'Of course I do, he's been here a good few times, lovely lad'

15 minutes later

'What's the name of the lad coming tomorrow?'

'Paul'

'Right, no idea what his name is'

30 minutes later, I'm leaving, taking his washing and dry cleaning to drop it in for him.

'Do you need anything else?'

'Yeah, but I can't remember. I'll ring you later if I think of it'

Me (Internally) 'Let's hope it doesn't involve me having to be here and having to drive back across the city'

The reversal of the parent/child role is a killer.
                                                                                                We got word from geriatrican yesterday that FIL now needs full time medical care.
                                                                                                Will prbably be 6-8 months before he's in a facilitiy but, if I'm honest, it's probably needed.
                                                                                                Breaks my heart though as I know it'll confuse the hell out of him, Anytime hes in hospital he's packing his bag to go home at 3am.

One thing I would advise, if you don't already do this, is look for hidden things. Soiled jocks and the likes have turned up in the oddest places in my house which sounds great for a comedy movie but less fun in real life.
                                                                                                Last edited by DeadParrot; 13-10-21, 10:18.
                                                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Wow

Comment

Wow

Rogue State
                                                                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Rogue State
                                                                                                      Leo had strong words this morning on Pat Kenny. Basically sending a message out to world leaders, 'don't do business with this shower'

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

We got word from geriatrican yesterday that FIL now needs full time medical care.
                                                                                                        Will prbably be 6-8 months before he's in a facilitiy but, if I'm honest, it's probably needed.
                                                                                                        Breaks my heart though as I know it'll confuse the hell out of him, Anytime hes in hospital he's packing his bag to go home at 3am.

One thing I would advise, if you don't already do this, is look for hidden things. Soiled jocks and the likes have turned up in the oddest places in my house which sounds great for a comedy movie but less fun in real life.
                                                                                                        Yeah, I am spotting more and more stuff, although thankfully no soiled jocks just yet.

I'd be in with him 3-4 times a weeks but each visit would normally be for around an hour. Even when I bring him out for lunch/dinner, you're still probably talking 2-3 hours max, similar with my sisters and his friends. He is still able to hold things together and if you met him in the street, you'd think he's grand (apart from looking old and frail) but over the last few weeks, there have been a few funerals where I have been with him for the full day and that's where I have really noticed stuff that isn't right - He isn't able to keep the act up all day long.

Sister number 1 is in full on panic mode
                                                                                                        Sister number 2 is in full on denial mode
                                                                                                        Sister number 3 lives in Canada and is too detached from it

So, I'm trying to figure what he can/can't do and where he needs help while still allowing him his independence as I know he has no desire to go into full time care and he's definitely not at that stage yet anyway but once it starts, it can be a slippy slope.

Comment

Yeah, I am spotting more and more stuff, although thankfully no soiled jocks just yet.

I'd be in with him 3-4 times a weeks but each visit would normally be for around an hour. Even when I bring him out for lunch/dinner, you're still probably talking 2-3 hours max, similar with my sisters and his friends. He is still able to hold things together and if you met him in the street, you'd think he's grand (apart from looking old and frail) but over the last few weeks, there have been a few funerals where I have been with him for the full day and that's where I have really noticed stuff that isn't right - He isn't able to keep the act up all day long.

Sister number 1 is in full on panic mode
                                                                                                          Sister number 2 is in full on denial mode
                                                                                                          Sister number 3 lives in Canada and is too detached from it

So, I'm trying to figure what he can/can't do and where he needs help while still allowing him his independence as I know he has no desire to go into full time care and he's definitely not at that stage yet anyway but once it starts, it can be a slippy slope.
                                                                                                          Normally grand in their own routine of things/comfort zone but take them outside that and shit starts to happen i find.

Comment

I see Tony H is back to work next Monday

Taoiseach Micheál Martin has said the rising spread of Covid-19 should act as an “alert” and he cannot guarantee that most restrictions will be lifted on October 22 as previously planned.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                              I see Tony H is back to work next Monday

https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-40945194.html
                                                                                                              yeah, numbers have been sneaking back up again - as Leo correctly says it is now 'a pandemic of the unvaccinated'.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

yeah, numbers have been sneaking back up again - as Leo correctly says it is now 'a pandemic of the unvaccinated'.
                                                                                                                At what point do you place serious restrictions on the unclean and let the rest of us crack on. Its absolute madness a tiny minority are holding us back from almost a full reopening.

Make covid certs mandatory for absolutely everything, including outdoor dining, public transport, going to shops everything. Put so much restrictions on their lives, the only option is to get vaccinated. Make it compulsory to have the cert if you want to enter or leave the country.

I even got an email from the cinema last night saying we will be asked for the covid cert and ID when we go to see Bond tomorrow night. It's great. I know I'll be in a room of sound, logical people.

It will be a complete pain to implement but if it gets us open quicker, it's a necessary evil.

Comment

Ah lads, if they eat clean and take vitamins sure!
                                                                                                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

At what point do you place serious restrictions on the unclean and let the rest of us crack on. Its absolute madness a tiny minority are holding us back from almost a full reopening.

Make covid certs mandatory for absolutely everything, including outdoor dining, public transport, going to shops everything. Put so much restrictions on their lives, the only option is to get vaccinated. Make it compulsory to have the cert if you want to enter or leave the country.

I even got an email from the cinema last night saying we will be asked for the covid cert and ID when we go to see Bond tomorrow night. It's great. I know I'll be in a room of sound, logical people.

It will be a complete pain to implement but if it gets us open quicker, it's a necessary evil.
                                                                                                                    Are you trying to kill the ghost of jbravado?

100% in seriousness. That's what the French have done. Rewrite the law if we have to.

Comment

If people dont want to get the vaccine, thats their perogative.

Just to pull that list down to one. Hospitals. No vaccination/no entry.

Certain percentage seem to want to dice with potential death anyway so let them go the whole hog and play proper Russian Roulette.

Comment

Why not reopen everything in any case? Vaccinated people won't get very sick right?
                                                                                                                        The UK have been open for months now and are just getting on with it.
                                                                                                                        The hospital should be able to cope at this stage.
                                                                                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Why not reopen everything in any case? Vaccinated people won't get very sick right?
                                                                                                                          The UK have been open for months now and are just getting on with it.
                                                                                                                          The hospital should be able to cope at this stage.
                                                                                                                          100% but I'm assuming the hospitals couldnt cope with the potential numbers?

10% unvaccinated = 450k?
                                                                                                                          1% of them needs ICU = 4500?
                                                                                                                          How many ICU beds?

Or is that all wrong (i know they wont all have it at once but still)

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X