This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Another case this week was a 96 year old who was a secretary in a nazi camp. I didn't read much into it, but I can't imagine she had much of a choice in the job, so theres hardly much of a lesson to be learned except that if you are fighting a war, make sure to win it. Just to be clear she wasn't an office manager, just a secretary. It seems very old testament eye for an eye, as befits the faith. Not sure it's the right modern approach.
    ​​​
    You should read up on the history of enforcement of German law in this area. It's very interesting how they came to this position and why and has nothing to do with what you have inferred..

These defendants are 1/10 shots never to serve a day in jail btw
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

No I'm not and you know I'm not so give over.
      Have contrary take on topic
      make sweeping statements to back up said take
      have statements dismantled by wider audience
      hold ever more tenuously linked stances to original statement
      be further dismantled
      make flippant "i was joking all along" remark
      move onto next topic.

Some life these academics have, it's easy money.
      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
        Some life these academics have, it's easy money.
        Looking on the bright side, at least he doesn't get the chance to implement any of his notions.

Comment

Thank fuck for that, say all of us.
          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Was looking up the bottle of spirit that the visiting PhD student handed me with some reverence and said 'my supervisor said to bring you this', and it's a €200 a bottle liquor. Jaysus.

Comment

Was looking up the bottle of spirit that the visiting PhD student handed me with some reverence and said 'my supervisor said to bring you this', and it's a €200 a bottle liquor. Jaysus.
              I hope you accepted this bribe in the spirit in which it was offered.

Comment

Proper culture

Loving all these immersive theatre ideas
                Speakeasy, coke and hookers*. I figure it was up your street. Shame you want to pull down the kip for a hotel.

*also came with a cheeseboard. Something for everyone

Comment

Baijiu?

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

I've probably got this arseways but I know the BBV will clear this up. A good friend of mine mentioned some immersive performance (supposedly a very well known one) gained some unwanted notoriety due to audience over-participation. Some clandestine and not so clandestine riding and other high jinks were happening during the scenes but had nothing to do with the show itself.

Attention seekers aside though, I'm fascinated by the idea of immersive theatre. Sounds like the makings of a good night out. Was bummed to see the show RD3 linked to sold out.
                    That was "Sleep No More" by Punchdrunk, the same immersive theatre company I am going to see next year, my brother was at that show. There were pscyhodelic rave scenes with topless actors, and the crowd were regularly having sex around that set. They are giant spaces with lots of places to go do whatever,

Another brother was actually cast in one of their shows, which was huge for him, then the pandemic hit and it was cancelled.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                      Former Nazi camp guard, 100, tells German court he is 'innocent'

Interesting case for many reasons. Part of me wonders what's the point at this stage.
                      I expect the prosecution will present irrefutable evidence that he aided and abetted.

Interesting that this was the defense the whole country used after the war, in relation to the camps and it is now being held up to scrutiny once more.

The bit about the use of Zyklon B is interesting. Sachsenhausen wasn't a "Death Camp" per se, but was used for R&D to develop the most efficient system for mass killing.

The old following orders defense...if he doesn't he will be shot, what about the Jews who helped clean out the gas chambers ? They were also following orders for fear of death...they got a parade...

Chappelle's latest NF special is a nice moment in time captured where we are at with woke culture.
                      This too shall pass.

Comment

For fans of Ethiopian food (I'm thinking Strewel and Denny in my have mentioned it before and maybe Tar?)

Gursha have just got a new home on Poolbeg St just down the road from Mulligans.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Baijiu?
                          Hmm it seems so. This stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

The old following orders defense...if he doesn't he will be shot, what about the Jews who helped clean out the gas chambers ? They were also following orders for fear of death...they got a parade...

Chappelle's latest NF special is a nice moment in time captured where we are at with woke culture.
                            Ah brilliant, didn't realise there was a new special.
                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

It was great... Then he found out that he had chosen people to be executed by the IRA.

Was seriously high octane, plenty of very physical dance moves thrown in as well.
                              Damn.

Dancing assassins in a disorientating (possibly drug-fuelled!), multifarious, 'did I dream that' hallucination (at least that's what I'm reading) .

Sounds right up my street but sold out
                              Last edited by BennyHiFi; 08-10-21, 19:36.

Comment

For fans of Ethiopian food (I'm thinking Strewel and Denny in my have mentioned it before and maybe Tar?)

Gursha have just got a new home on Poolbeg St just down the road from Mulligans.
                                Ooh thats going on my list for sure
                                airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                  i just read through pages of shite talk about tradition and culture and not one mention of The Bernard Shaw (south side edition) and how Dublin ceased to exist since its time of closing.
                                  Here's an idea. Why not actually contribute to the debate rather than making snide, smart arsed comments from the side line.

You're a very intelligent, capable poster and quite frankly your post does disservice to you as a person. It's a cheap shot, immature post, looking for likes and I know (from meetimg you in real life) that you are above that, so maybe get a grip?

Comment

Him being a good guy is tradition. Him taking a cheap shot is cultural .

Nice tribute by Dec o Rourke on the Cobblestone.

Comment

This Brexit bonus never occurred to me and I've seen no coverage in the media
                                      but Duty Free is back for journeys to UK.

Comment

Here's an idea. Why not actually contribute to the debate rather than making snide, smart arsed comments from the side line.

You're a very intelligent, capable poster and quite frankly your post does disservice to you as a person. It's a cheap shot, immature post, looking for likes and I know (from meetimg you in real life) that you are above that, so maybe get a grip?
                                        Ah man, I really think your read of that is off. GAB was clearly having a laugh no?

Akin to the whole GFY thing I would have thought.

Comment

Pray for Lazare. He thinks the GFYL thing is a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                            2 free tickets for Rocky Horror show at 5pm in the Bord Gais tomorrow (Friday) evening. Sister bought tickets ages ago but now cant make it. Dont want to see them wasted so free to a good home.
                                            Well, that was wonderful. Nearly didn't make it in as was stuck on the luas for a while due to protests in O'Connell st. Was a bit surprised at nearly everyone taking their masks off, despite the place being totally packed. It was a bit reassuring that they were unusually strict about the covid certs (they scanned them, and also checked other id to make sure it was yours).
                                            The show itself was so well done. Think the chap playing Rocky was chosen more for his body than his singing ability, but that was entertaining in it's own way
                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Well, that was wonderful. Nearly didn't make it in as was stuck on the luas for a while due to protests in O'Connell st. Was a bit surprised at nearly everyone taking their masks off, despite the place being totally packed. It was a bit reassuring that they were unusually strict about the covid certs (they scanned them, and also checked other id to make sure it was yours).
                                              The show itself was so well done. Think the chap playing Rocky was chosen more for his body than his singing ability, but that was entertaining in it's own way
                                              I really hope those who were unvaccinated were asked to 'take a step to the left ' at the door

Comment

Star Trek lower Decks is hilarious.

Comment

GAB clearly messing imo.

Now off to umpire a game for the first time in 19 months, at a level far higher than I normally do. Hope the rules haven't changed too much.

Comment

Ah yeah, quick Google tells they changed a rake of rules for the Olympics. FML.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Ah man, I really think your read of that is off. GAB was clearly having a laugh no?

Akin to the whole GFY thing I would have thought.
                                                      Yeah, I read it different to you. If I've got it wrong, my apologies to GAB.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                                        https://www-breakingnews-ie.cdn.ampp...s-1196035.html
                                                        The alternative to being a
                                                        Poker Tournament Director.
                                                        That's simultaneously a genius business idea and everything that's wrong with the world. Gloriously evil.

Comment

Humour delivers the truth.

GAB is exactly right. The internet was losing its shit at the time over a kip aka the GBS which is now gone -so what. Much nicer places to visit. Who do you believe should fund these 'cultural places' to enable them to stay open? Public donations? Fat chance if the public wont even visit in required numbers? The Government? How do they prioritise shithole A over shitholeB over the rare genuine that deserves conservation? Private donors? Roll up, roll up to preserve a kip of a pub in a kip of an area that relatively few people go to -yeah sure. Good luck with that

Comment

RD3 what was the name of the fruit that you have on your tree out the back
                                                            His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                              RD3 what was the name of the fruit that you have on your tree out the back
                                                              Greengage.

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post

Humour delivers the truth.

GAB is exactly right. The internet was losing its shit at the time over a kip aka the GBS which is now gone -so what. Much nicer places to visit. Who do you believe should fund these 'cultural places' to enable them to stay open? Public donations? Fat chance if the public wont even visit in required numbers? The Government? How do they prioritise shithole A over shitholeB over the rare genuine that deserves conservation? Private donors? Roll up, roll up to preserve a kip of a pub in a kip of an area that relatively few people go to -yeah sure. Good luck with that
                                                                Poor. Really poor. Like, 1.5 out of 10 for that attempt at trolling and that's being quite generous.

You need to put in a lot more effort and try harder next time.

Comment

Hate this new trend of successful clearly okay celebrities diagnosing with autism. Seems deeply insulting to parents with kids with real autism and those awful struggles they have, and then you, who is obviously not suffering from serious behavioural issues tries to claim some of that space.

Comment

Hate this new trend of successful clearly okay celebrities diagnosing with autism. Seems deeply insulting to parents with kids with real autism and those awful struggles they have, and then you, who is obviously not suffering from serious behavioural issues tries to claim some of that space.

https://m.independent.ie/news/i-alwa...-40932459.html
                                                                    Pick a different hill to die on Hitch.

Coincidentally I listened to one of her podcasts this week as she was interviewing the chair of the Buddhist Centre I go to.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Pick a different hill to die on Hitch.

Coincidentally I listened to one of her podcasts this week as she was interviewing the chair of the Buddhist Centre I go to.
                                                                      Did she seem like she was suffering from a debilitating behavioural illness at the time?

Comment

* Hill claimed

Comment

Celebrity you say? Never heard of her first of all. Any other examples of these so called "celebrities" being diagnosed with autism?

Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

You can always tell when Hitch is taking a break from Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Etto would be good too - excellent local food in a relaxed setting: https://www.etto.ie/
                                                                              Ate there last night, it’s a class set up. I also enjoy that despite having a relatively wide knowledge of food there is always at least two things in their menu I’d never heard of before!

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1703835&d=1633797854&type=thumb Oooh eeees aving a go at the Autistic people now.
                                                                                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Poor. Really poor. Like, 1.5 out of 10 for that attempt at trolling and that's being quite generous.

You need to put in a lot more effort and try harder next time.
                                                                                  Not trolling: that is my opinion. Not looking for marks out of 10

Comment

Dog umbrellas!!! DOG UMBRELLAS!!!! Im nostalgic for the days when you let the dog out in the morning and he fucked off for the day occasionally returning for some food or a snooze with a cut on his ear and the slight swagger of a returning champion.

Today's dogs wouldnt last 2 seconds against 80s dogs

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post

Not trolling: that is my opinion. Not looking for marks out of 10
                                                                                      Fair enough, just seems strange that you are still talking about who should fund them and how not enough people visit them. I already mentioned in a previous reply to you that neither the The Cobblestone nor JJ's needed funding. They are/were very popular places that were ongoing viable concerns. The GBS was the exact same. The only reason they closed was because a developer bought the building and turfed them out. There is a pattern here.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post

Celebrity you say? Never heard of her first of all. Any other examples of these so called "celebrities" being diagnosed with autism?
                                                                                        There was some much bigger US and a UK celebrity who announced it recently, similarly dubiously, given they can clearly live a full life. It just fit their agenda.

Comment

Maybe it's common enough for adults to discover they're autistic. You're obv trolling a little with the debilitating illness thing, even the dumbest of us know there's a spectrum.

I've a friend, diagnosed as an adult who's flying Russian oligarchs around Europe.

Wife's cousin has the mental function of a two year old and will for life.

Comment

Comment

Had a nice interaction in the shop today (me with my busted back). Theres s kid (I say kid he could be anywhere between 15 and 19) who's a regular in the shop and obviously on the spectrum. Like he shouted in the door one day asking do we do trade ins on dolls holding up a figurine of some sort!

He was in today and bought the papers for his dad but kept asking me how much they were before I'd scanned. He had a tenner so I think he was anticipating a treat with the €2 change.
                                                                                              Gets the change and is immediately scanning the sweets asking what can I get for €2
                                                                                              I'm offering Maoms or Tangfastics etc x 2 and he abruptly goes "I'll ask Dad" and then "I'll be back"
                                                                                              He then pauses as if something just occured to him and goes in a passable Arnie imitation "I'll BE BACK"
                                                                                              I genuinely burst out laughing and he kind of sniggered at his joke and off to Dad.

My favourite customer of the day!!

Comment

Wife's cousin has the mental function of a two year old and will for life.
                                                                                                This is my point really. There is autism and autism spectrum. Should someone with autism spectrum who can clearly live a grand life be taking up public discussion around proper debilitating autism - and lessening the discussion of what autism is.
                                                                                                ​​​

I think this was a real critique made of autism spectrum by psychiatrists when the definition of autism was expanded. That it would weaken understanding of the serious incidents and the needs.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                  That was really excellent. ( though I initially read NF as National Front)

Comment

That was really excellent. ( though I initially read NF as National Front)
                                                                                                    Lined up for tonight, can't wait.

Some amount of rustled feathers and outrage over it. Brilliant

Comment

Lined up for tonight, can't wait.

Some amount of rustled feathers and outrage over it. Brilliant
                                                                                                      So, did you shit yourself?

Comment

So, did you shit yourself?
                                                                                                        Haha, no, not today. Just goes to show though how often I spontaneously do a bit of housework without a list to guide me.

Comment

Dodged a bullet there with the kid in the car. Coming around the M50 roundabout at Ballyer An old dear tales a left against the traffic straight ahead of me. Luckily I somehow noticed her turning and had hazards on and stopped in time. Strange that a big copper van was right behind her and parked sideways across the traffic to prevent carnage . . Then told the startled woman how to go around it correctly. Surreal considering I was just 3 mins earlier talking about those tallaght crims who got creamed recently.

Comment

There was some much bigger US and a UK celebrity who announced it recently, similarly dubiously, given they can clearly live a full life. It just fit their agenda.
                                                                                                            Give me some names
                                                                                                            Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                                                              Had a nice interaction in the shop today (me with my busted back). Theres s kid (I say kid he could be anywhere between 15 and 19) who's a regular in the shop and obviously on the spectrum. Like he shouted in the door one day asking do we do trade ins on dolls holding up a figurine of some sort!

He was in today and bought the papers for his dad but kept asking me how much they were before I'd scanned. He had a tenner so I think he was anticipating a treat with the €2 change.
                                                                                                              Gets the change and is immediately scanning the sweets asking what can I get for €2
                                                                                                              I'm offering Maoms or Tangfastics etc x 2 and he abruptly goes "I'll ask Dad" and then "I'll be back"
                                                                                                              He then pauses as if something just occured to him and goes in a passable Arnie imitation "I'll BE BACK"
                                                                                                              I genuinely burst out laughing and he kind of sniggered at his joke and off to Dad.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Reminds me of a young lad that does the odd day with us in work, my boss' nephew. He's very funny, but says some inappropriate stuff at times.

He texted a woman that works with us one night 'Hi Martina, I think when I was giving you a hug goodbye today I may have rubbed off your breasts. I'm very sorry about that'

Followed it up 5 mins later with 'But they are very big'

She loved the craic of it in fairness.

He often sends me random messages on FB messenger. Sent me one one day saying 'Do you know this guy?' with a pic underneath.

Opened the pic and it was Ronald McDonald

Comment

Followed it up 5 mins later with 'But they are very big'
                                                                                                                  Thank fuck we didn't have phones back in the day. I used to get a terrible slagging for saying similar things in the 'canteen' when I was working as a labourer on both the Square and Blanch Shopping Centres. Jebus I must have been 25 years old on that last one.

Comment

What hitch is describing is the evolution of the mental health grifter, it’s like when everyone was doing marathons a few lads have to start doing ultras. Same with celebrities- it was anxiety so a bit of autism puts the anxiety lads back in the box and so on
                                                                                                                    Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

There’s a lad who is a spouse of a recent cabinet minister who is notorious for diagnosing all sorts of conditions in order to get dispensations and help in exams btw- anyone else heard of this
                                                                                                                      Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                                                        What hitch is describing is the evolution of the mental health grifter, it’s like when everyone was doing marathons a few lads have to start doing ultras. Same with celebrities- it was anxiety so a bit of autism puts the anxiety lads back in the box and so on
                                                                                                                        There's certainly something to this alright. There are grifters out there bandwagoning the current culture of celebrating victimhood.

I think though that it's just a minor downside of something that is quite positive and progressive.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X